Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I too am happy for Brendan Fraser. Some people are calling the movie problematic because he’s wearing a fat suit…but what’s the alternative, having him gain all that weight for real?

I can’t say I have high hopes for a movie called The Whale about a 600 pound man to not be problematic but him wearing a fat suit isn’t really a huge factor in that. I’m still really happy for him and probably will never see the movie. 

27 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I too am happy for Brendan Fraser. Some people are calling the movie problematic because he’s wearing a fat suit…but what’s the alternative, having him gain all that weight for real?

I wouldn't want to at his age, which is only a year older than me. Losing it is hell on the body after 50. Sure, he'd have nutritionists and trainers, but why bother if you don't have to. Besides, no one is going to gain enough to look even close to how he needed to look for this movie 

I had the pleasure of meeting him once and he so sweet and so shy. I'm really happy for him, too.

• Like 1
  • Love 12

I hate fat suits for many reasons but primarily because they are such a distraction because you know they're wearing one and it breaks the immersion. 

I love Brendan Fraser and want to see him do well, I just wish there was a different project for his comeback. 

• Like 2
  • Love 8

Option 1: Don't make the movie. 

I was prepared for the discourse to be bad. The character is also gay.

https://www.gawker.com/culture/the-whale-discourse-is-going-to-be-terrible-brendan-fraser-darren-aronofsky

I don't have any personal feelings about it because I haven't seen it and I don't know the playwright's other work.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Some people are calling the movie problematic because he’s wearing a fat suit…but what’s the alternative, having him gain all that weight for real?

Hire an obese actor?  Oh, wait, Hollywood doesn't allow those.  Especially those who could star in something called The Whale.

I didn't know anything about the film, but I get sick of actors with all sorts of padding and prosthetics rather than just casting one who fits the body type.

In this case, some cursory searching reveals the character is a body type not many people, let alone actors, are - a 600-lb male - so almost anyone cast would have needed padding/prosthetics.  In that case, fine, but there remains the question of how the character and his weight is presented, and I don't have much hope given society in general and Hollywood in particular, but maybe this is a pleasant surprise.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, LadyAmalthea said:

I hate fat suits for many reasons but primarily because they are such a distraction because you know they're wearing one and it breaks the immersion. 

I love Brendan Fraser and want to see him do well, I just wish there was a different project for his comeback. 

I am surprised that fat suits are even still a thing. I mean it is not like Mark Ruffalo wears a muscle suit to play the Hulk. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Hire an obese actor?  Oh, wait, Hollywood doesn't allow those.  Especially those who could star in something called The Whale.

I always end up thinking about Kathy Bates fighting to play the lead in Frankie and Johnny after starring in the stage version and knowing an important component of the story is that Frankie is not conventionally attractive.  She lost out to Michelle Pfeiffer and was quoted along the lines of “if I was going to beat out Michelle in anything, I thought it might have been the overweight, unattractive character.”  They just messed up Michelle’s hair and pretended she wasn’t pretty anymore.  Needless to say, it didn’t work.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 17
52 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

From the above article:

“You can speak YOUR truth without making an effort to offend someone,” one person wrote. 

I agree with this.  It's one thing for Britney to talk about how wronged she feels about the conservatorship.  But bringing Christina into it was at best stupid and at worst mean.  

• Like 2
  • Love 14

Maintenance Phase all about why Shallow Hal is a piece of shit with some discussion of fat suits. It says unlocked so you might not need to have a Patreon account.

Whether or not you're on not on Patreon but are interested in issues of fatness and representation, junk diet science, or just enjoy hearing shoddy research debunked, you might enjoy Maintenance Phase. It's an eye- and mind- opener.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

From the above article:

“You can speak YOUR truth without making an effort to offend someone,” one person wrote. 

I agree with this.  It's one thing for Britney to talk about how wronged she feels about the conservatorship.  But bringing Christina into it was at best stupid and at worst mean.  

Britney's said other things about Christina too. She's stuck in the late 90s/early 2000s. Christina's just kept it classy and not responded to any of it. I don't blame her for the unfollow. 

• Love 12

You want to know how to look young?

Stand next to a wrinkled, bitter bitch like Britney.....

Now, everybody has one more thing to blame her conservatorship on.  She'll never see herself as anything but a victim. 

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Applause 5
  • Love 3

Britney suffered multiple traumas while under that conservatorship. The three off the top of my head are the assault on her body when she was forced to have an IUD inserted (an invasive gynecological procedure), she was spied on in her own home and bedroom, and being forced to perform concerts.

She had zero say over anything in her life for 13 years, and her conservator, the person responsible for her well-being, was abusing and using her for his benefit. Put yourself, (general you), in her shoes.

She absolutely needs intensive therapy and is not handling things well. But she is 100% a victim of horrific physical and emotional abuse and is acting out to be heard and seen. She probably feels abandoned by those she thought were her friends back in the day—people who watched her be abused or maybe spoke out in support of the conservatorship because they didn't know what was happening behind the scenes. Speaking as someone who survived the same abusive school as Paris Hilton and survived a parent with Munchausen by proxy who tried to get me into a conservatorship (thank god it didn't happen)  I have nothing but empathy for Britney.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 12
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Britney suffered multiple traumas while under that conservatorship.

I don't believe anyone disagrees with that. But does that give her a rubber stamp to take it out on other people, whether it's Christina Aguilera or her own children? No, it doesn't, and if it does it shouldn't. I feel terrible for her on one level, because she's been badly treated, and Jamie Spears may well be the filth of the planet who exploited the daughter he should have protected. But my question becomes, Why is she not getting the therapy she so clearly needs? I think I read something about how she's in counseling, but if that's true, it isn't helping. She could at least take a social media break, but I don't think that's going to happen either.

Further question for the general You: If she turns her kids into the mess she's become through this never-ending 'speaking her truth', do we continue to give her empathy or do we turn it in their direction?

• Like 3
  • Applause 7
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

From the above article:

I don’t even see what she wrote as that much of an insult to Christina but a really big and unnecessary insult to Christina’s backup dancers. Which makes it much worse to me. 

“I wish I could have chosen the nannies for my children ... my dancers ... I mean if I had Christina Aguilera’s dancers I would have looked extremely small,” she wrote.

“I mean why not talk about it ?? Don’t you think my confidence would have been a bit better if I could choose where I lived, ate, whom I called on the phone, dated and who was on stage with me !!!” she questioned.

“By no means was I being critical of Christina’s beautiful body, it is what it is !!! I flew to see her show once and the main thing I noticed was the difference of our people on stage !!!” she wrote in a separate Instagram post.

“To be honest, I’m not trying to be critical of anybody. What I posted is a projection of the insecurities I deal with all the time as a result of how my parents and the media have treated me,” she wrote.

“I feel like my family knew I was insecure and people were trying to purposefully feed into this insecurity by not letting me have a choice in the people who were on stage with me,” she said.

This is what I pieced together from that choppy Buzzfeed "article." The original Rodney Dangerfield quote (assuming it's correctly attributed) is fine. Whether or not you find it funny, it's barely offensive. The problem is the apparent captions she wrote with it and the way she specifically spoke about Christina and her dancers. 

Britney's point seems to be that her family intentionally exacerbated her insecurities by choosing dancers (and possibly nannies?) who were thinner than she was and made her feel worse by comparison. 

I continue to feel no one should really be rambling on social media but if you aren't particularly good at articulating your thoughts... No wonder this keeps going poorly.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Britney's point seems to be that her family intentionally exacerbated her insecurities by choosing dancers (and possibly nannies?) who were thinner than she was and made her feel worse by comparison. 

That may be, but it also seemed to be a really passive-aggressive, backhanded comment on the bodies of the dancers and Aguilera. I'm not convinced the implication about them was unintentional. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

I don't think she woke up and chose to insult the bodies of Christina's dancers that day. But she's always centering herself. More than self-victimization, it's prioritizing her point of view to the exclusion of anything else. You know, "I am the main character" and all that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I don't think she woke up and chose to insult the bodies of Christina's dancers that day. But she's always centering herself. More than self-victimization, it's prioritizing her point of view to the exclusion of anything else. You know, "I am the main character" and all that. 

I imagine the dancers were collateral damage, but there is a pretty long-running feud between Spears and Aguilera. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I don't believe anyone disagrees with that. But does that give her a rubber stamp to take it out on other people, whether it's Christina Aguilera or her own children? No, it doesn't, and if it does it shouldn't. I feel terrible for her on one level, because she's been badly treated, and Jamie Spears may well be the filth of the planet who exploited the daughter he should have protected. But my question becomes, Why is she not getting the therapy she so clearly needs? I think I read something about how she's in counseling, but if that's true, it isn't helping. She could at least take a social media break, but I don't think that's going to happen either.

Further question for the general You: If she turns her kids into the mess she's become through this never-ending 'speaking her truth', do we continue to give her empathy or do we turn it in their direction?

There’s no quick fix for mental illnesses or trauma. Progress can be slow, and often it’s one step forward, 2 steps back. There isn’t a magic pill or magic words therapists can use to change patients. A lot of people really need to stay off SM, IMHO, but even those in positions of huge responsibility who should be setting good examples have been failing miserably for years  at that. 

2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

We all decide for ourselves. It’s not a binary choice. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

Sounds like what the majority of people do on SM.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

There’s no quick fix for mental illnesses or trauma. Progress can be slow, and often it’s one step forward, 2 steps back. There isn’t a magic pill or magic words therapists can use to change patients. A lot of people really need to stay off SM, IMHO, but even those in positions of huge responsibility who should be setting good examples have been failing miserably for years  at that. 

We all decide for ourselves. It’s not a binary choice. 

It is also quite possible that Britney is mentally ill and a really nasty, unpleasant person.  Both  can be true.  She's getting a chance to show us who she truly is now that the conservatorship has ended and, thus far, what I've seen is someone I wouldn't want to know.  People who are mentally ill are not automatically angels with hearts of gold.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 20

I don't think she has a specific mental illness like bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. I believe she fried her brains on drugs and alcohol and has some actual brain damage. Medication can only do so much in that situation. The only one who has any influence left would be Sam but he's encouraging her to post since she's his cash cow. Apart from her legal obligations to the kids Sam is the only one benefiting from her money now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
50 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I don't think she has a specific mental illness like bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. I believe she fried her brains on drugs and alcohol and has some actual brain damage. Medication can only do so much in that situation. The only one who has any influence left would be Sam but he's encouraging her to post since she's his cash cow. Apart from her legal obligations to the kids Sam is the only one benefiting from her money now.

From what I recall, she has bipolar disorder, and  probably now  PTSD as well. Doctors don’t prescribe lithium unless patients have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.  She has also been prescribed Seroquel, which is used to treat both bipolar disorder and schizophrenia (amongst other uses). If she was diagnosed with some kind of traumatic brain injury, I missed it. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

I was delighted to see that Marie Osmond is speaking as an advocate of mental health awareness at a local Gala affair in my city.  The contribution for the tables are steep, but for a great cause.  Marie says she doesn’t know anyone who isn’t going through something right now.  You may recall she lost her son when he took his own life a few years ago.  

https://walkforhope.com/events/evening-of-hope/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I don't believe anyone disagrees with that. But does that give her a rubber stamp to take it out on other people, whether it's Christina Aguilera or her own children?

They aren't the ones she should be taking things out on indeed. If she needs to vent/rant do it towards/about the people who put her under and kept her under the conservatorship that has made her the messy adolescent she is today. 

She is one of those people I feel terrible for because of the life she had, and I really want to root for her to do better, but she just keeps screwing everything up again and again and seems to learn nothing. Come on Britney do better!

I know it's not an easy path out of that kind of long-term abuse but I really want her to get better. Not just for her but for her kids. They deserve to have a mum they can count on. 

• Like 1
  • Love 11
50 minutes ago, Notabug said:

It is also quite possible that Britney is mentally ill and a really nasty, unpleasant person.  Both  can be true.  She's getting a chance to show us who she truly is now that the conservatorship has ended and, thus far, what I've seen is someone I wouldn't want to know.  People who are mentally ill are not automatically angels with hearts of gold.

No, mentally ill people are not all angels. They’re just like everyone else - some people are bigger assholes than others, lol. Mental illness is a chronic disease like any other and can be treated but not “cured.” She may be benefiting from therapy in many ways, but that doesn’t mean she’ll ever have a radical personality change. It doesn’t mean that her therapy isn’t “working” if we as strangers don’t see “improvements” in her SM posts. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

They aren't the ones she should be taking things out on indeed. If she needs to vent/rant do it towards/about the people who put her under and kept her under the conservatorship that has made her the messy adolescent she is today.

That's the thing, though. I would be okay with it if she was dunking on Jamie and maybe her mom, since they're the ones who started this by turning her into a meal ticket and then into a prisoner inside her own life. They messed her up, and they deserve all the criticism they get and then some. Like, forever.

But that's...not what's happening as far as I can tell. Instead she's mad because her kids don't want to go to her wedding, and she won't stay off of SM even though the older one asked her to stop airing their business in public. Jamie being objectively terrible doesn't change that Britney is exacerbating the situation, and while she is a messy adolescent inside a forty year old woman's body, it says something that Aguilera took the high road in just unfollowing her and didn't respond. She could have fired back and kept this nonsense going, but instead she distanced herself from it. Britney's children can't do that, not entirely.

• Like 4
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

But that's...not what's happening as far as I can tell. Instead she's mad because her kids don't want to go to her wedding, and she won't stay off of SM even though the older one asked her to stop airing their business in public. Jamie being objectively terrible doesn't change that Britney is exacerbating the situation, and while she is a messy adolescent inside a forty year old woman's body, it says something that Aguilera took the high road in just unfollowing her and didn't respond. She could have fired back and kept this nonsense going, but instead she distanced herself from it. Britney's children can't do that, not entirely.

Well Christina is a adult . No good would come from her responding. It would give Britney's more ,let's say, enthusiastic fans fuel and they would probably attack her. Britney needs to figure out (as do plenty of other people both famous and not) that not every thought needs to be broadcast on social media. However terrible what she went through doesn't mean she should be coddled and not called out when she is being a asshole.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 11
23 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

No official word on Britney's diagnoses has ever been released. We don't know for sure what she does or doesn't have.

And apparently the kids just had birthdays? Which most people wouldn't know except she wished them Happy Birthday through Instagram. By posting pictures of them when they've said they asked her not to.

It is known that she has been prescribed both Lithium and Seroquel. Lithium is prescribed for bipolar disorder (as is Seroquel at times, although it has other uses). So yes, she’s been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. She has said so herself on numerous occasions. When a patient is prescribed insulin, we know they’ve been diagnosed as diabetic. When people receive chemotherapy, they’ve been diagnosed with cancer. I can’t imagine that judges would’ve continued to greenlight her conservatorship if she hadn’t been officially diagnosed with any disease. 

https://pagesix.com/2022/07/25/britney-spears-shares-texts-she-sent-from-mental-health-facility/amp/

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Aguilera took the high road in just unfollowing her and didn't respond. She could have fired back and kept this nonsense going, but instead she distanced herself from it. Britney's children can't do that, not entirely.

That's why, while I do feel for Britney for the years of her life she lost, my heart breaks for her kids because they are now the ones who are suffering because of it. As hard as it is to remove a parent from your life (I had to do it because I had a toxic parent who refused to change), it is harder to live with that person in your life. Lucky for me, I'm not famous, my family is not famous and it was really easy to avoid my parent. It's much harder for the boys because their mother can't seem to stay out of the spotlight for a minute so they would basically have to bury their heads in the sand to avoid her. 

• Hugs 5
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4

Britney is the very definition of an unreliable narrator; just because she says she's bipolar doesn't mean she actually is. Both Lithium and Seroquel are mood stabilizers and we've seen she's impulsive and has little control over her moods. If the areas of her brain that govern her emotions and impulse control have some damage she would need those without being bipolar.

• Useful 4
19 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Britney is the very definition of an unreliable narrator; just because she says she's bipolar doesn't mean she actually is. Both Lithium and Seroquel are mood stabilizers and we've seen she's impulsive and has little control over her moods. If the areas of her brain that govern her emotions and impulse control have some damage she would need those without being bipolar.

Why do you think a judge approved her years long conservatorship? She had to have been diagnosed with a serious illness for any judge to have approved such a drastic measure. It’s not illegal in this country to abuse drugs and squander all of your money. Conservatorships aren’t approved simply because a person is immature and irresponsible. I’ve worked in the mental health field for years, and have never seen Lithium prescribed for someone who hasn’t been diagnosed as bipolar. It can be dangerous and has many side effects.  Why would she lie about her illness? Why would the court allow someone to be forced into treatment against their will unless they were legitimately diagnosed? She was forced to take those powerful medications against her will. There is no indication that she’s been diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury of any kind. And even if she were, treatment is still optional in this country. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4
On 9/14/2022 at 3:14 PM, Bastet said:

I didn't know anything about the film, but I get sick of actors with all sorts of padding and prosthetics rather than just casting one who fits the body type.

In this case, some cursory searching reveals the character is a body type not many people, let alone actors, are - a 600-lb male - so almost anyone cast would have needed padding/prosthetics.  In that case, fine, but there remains the question of how the character and his weight is presented, and I don't have much hope given society in general and Hollywood in particular, but maybe this is a pleasant surprise.

I love Emma Thompson, but am giving her huge side eye for donning a fat suit as Miss Trunchbull in the Matilda movie - firstly, it looks absolutely terrible and in no way like an actual human person but a tiny head attached to a fake body, and secondly, this is a situation where there would be many actresses of that size/body type who could have played the role.

• Like 3
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Trini said:

That's awesome!  Now they just need to make him do a welcome message to the patrons, and all the announcements over the PA system!  *LOL*  That voice can't go to waste!

8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

And nobody EVER has taken meds they weren't prescribed.  And there are NO "Doctor Feelgood" types in Hollywood that will prescribe anything to anyone with $$$.  Of course NOT!  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, LadyAmalthea said:

I love Emma Thompson, but am giving her huge side eye for donning a fat suit as Miss Trunchbull in the Matilda movie - firstly, it looks absolutely terrible and in no way like an actual human person but a tiny head attached to a fake body, and secondly, this is a situation where there would be many actresses of that size/body type who could have played the role.

If you're referring to the movie with Mara Wilson, that wasn't Emma Thompson. Miss Trunchbull was played by Pam Ferris.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

That's awesome!  Now they just need to make him do a welcome message to the patrons, and all the announcements over the PA system!  *LOL*  That voice can't go to waste!

And nobody EVER has taken meds they weren't prescribed.  And there are NO "Doctor Feelgood" types in Hollywood that will prescribe anything to anyone with $$$.  Of course NOT!  

NO ONE takes lithium for fun. It’s not at all a recreational drug. Britney didn’t commit herself to involuntary inpatient treatment. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ Hey - maybe Jane Fonda is lying about having cancer so she can score some morphine!

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 13