Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Thank you, @Zella.  I didn't realize that his fashion line was so successful, or that he had a deal with Adidas.

You're welcome! I knew he had a partnership with Gap but also had no clue about the Adidas deal or how successful his fashion stuff is until I saw that article just now. Honestly I always think his sneakers line looks so ugly. LOL But obviously someone's buying them!  

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Zella said:

I think one of the biggest problems with award shows, too, and ratings is there are so many options for viewing.

I agree.  People complain that maybe the Oscars would get more viewers if they nominated more popular movies but I can't imagine that it'd be a significant rise in viewership when people can just follow along on Twitter and head to YouTube, Instagram or TikTok to watch the acceptance speeches they care about and binge any TV or movies they want.

Also, I don't care that they vote on themselves. That's what industry awards do.  And they've shown themselves to have some pretty basic taste as well.

I imagine the plot of land offering is a small town's hope they'll get Tom Hanks to visit and build a home there to raise their profile.  Anyway, a new Netflix or Hallmark movie idea that won't be made into an award worthy film.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

when people can just follow along on Twitter and head to YouTube, Instagram or TikTok to watch the acceptance speeches they care about.

Yep. Also a lot of sites have live updates. I've seen them on everything from CNN to the AV Club to the Guardian for Oscar night. You can get updates on who won major categories in almost real time and never once turn on your TV or watch any part of the ceremony. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

What shows do you need to sign a waiver to be in the audience of?

For instance preCovid if you wanted to attend a taping of the Wendy William’s show you had to apply for tickets, give them a picture of yourself, give them your email and be willing to sign a waiver to appear on tape. I never applied. I know this from some people on her thread who did. I’m not on an area close to any tapings, so it’s not something do. I did attend a game show taping in NYC back in the 80’s, but I don’t think I had to sign anything then. 
   We think Wendy had one of her minions read the thread here on her as one person couldn’t get tickets. They had made some disparaging remarks. Not nice, but true. We also wondered why would she need a photo, unless she only wanted good looking people in her audience. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:
15 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

It's just a bunch of Hollywood millionaires jerking each other off and getting free gifts and clothes.

100%

I'll add, and making certain that we're all aware of their political views.  pfffft

I haven't watched awards shows in years but this was never the reason I stopped.  For me the two main reasons were while it's fun to see someone happy they've won it's painful to see the losers have to be good sports about it live on screen and the hosts stopped being good around the time Billy Crystal stopped hosting (I don't include the time he did it in 2012).  Good host makes a good show.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

The Academy and their ilk remain snobbish in not giving due recognition to actors and actresses if they're dressed up in superhero costumes, so no matter how many movies get made, they're not the ones being picked to sweep an awards ceremony.

Honestly, they don't generally deserve serious awards, imo.  But then, all awards are really just someone's opinion anyway.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

For instance preCovid if you wanted to attend a taping of the Wendy William’s show you had to apply for tickets, give them a picture of yourself, give them your email and be willing to sign a waiver to appear on tape. I never applied. I know this from some people on her thread who did. I’m not on an area close to any tapings, so it’s not something do. I did attend a game show taping in NYC back in the 80’s, but I don’t think I had to sign anything then. 
   We think Wendy had one of her minions read the thread here on her as one person couldn’t get tickets. They had made some disparaging remarks. Not nice, but true. We also wondered why would she need a photo, unless she only wanted good looking people in her audience. 

When I was on Jeopardy in 2008, my best friend was in the audience and she didn't have to sign a waiver.  It probably varies from show to show, and also depends on how much the audience members get shown on tv.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Anduin said:

How did Distinctive Assets get a hold of this land? Do they expect the receivers to actually drop by Scotland and inspect their new possessions? What size is it? Both overall and per person? Is it any good, or just deep bogs and bits of mountain?

Furthermore, are any of the receivers British? I want them to make a video showing off this new bit of real estate.

Assuming it’s the same one I hear advertised occasionally it’s basically a square foot of land that comes with a title and part of the money goes to conservations efforts. It’s a gimmick like buying a star or a brick at Disneyland. It’s only $50 so it’s not as dramatic as it sounds. 

Edited by Guest

The idea that your movie or show got nominated for a major award doesn't really mean what it used to mean, and I think the fact that so many really good things get overlooked by award ceremonies also contributes to people's apathy. 

I mean, I still care. But I'm more than capable of waiting for streaming and even then, it takes me a while. Like, I know Phantom Thread is on Netflix now. But I have to be in the mood for it. 

I used to love award shows too. I feel like they were more entertaining but the glut of entertainment options makes everything less special and also creates more pressure. I've never felt more like "I will never have time to consume all the media that exists" so watching an awards show for 3-4 hours is even less compelling. At least the Tony's has worthwhile performances. Plus, what other people said about it feeling way too self-congratulatory now. At least it just used to be the Inside the Actors' Studio vibe of fetishizing the art of ACTING and FILMMAKING. 

Also, I used to love red carpets but the clothes rarely interest me anymore. Coupled with the distaste after the Ryan Seacrest allegations and #AskHerMore and the #metoo/TimesUp black dresses... I can't drum up the excitement. I just wanted a fashion show but with non-hideous clothes (the recent runways have been a joke) worn by celebrities. They ruined it and I can't care anymore. Sometimes I can work up enthusiasm for the Met Gala outfits. 

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Like, I know Phantom Thread is on Netflix now. But I have to be in the mood for it. 

Yes that's one I've been curious about but never gotten around to watching. It's only 5 years old and seeing as I only this week just got around to finally watching the fourteen-year-old Revolutionary Road, despite being a big Kate Winslet and Michael Shannon fan, I hope to maybe have finally watched Phantom Thread by 2031. 😂

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 8
26 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yes that's one I've been curious about but never gotten around to watching. It's only 5 years old and seeing as I only this week just got around to finally watching the fourteen-year-old Revolutionary Road, despite being a big Kate Winslet and Michael Shannon fan, I hope to maybe have finally watched Phantom Thread by 2031. 😂

I recommend it!  

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

This year's swag bag for nominees also includes a plot of land in Scotland.

20 hours ago, Anduin said:

Do they expect the receivers to actually drop by Scotland and inspect their new possessions? What size is it? Both overall and per person? Is it any good, or just deep bogs and bits of mountain?

17 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I imagine the plot of land offering is a small town's hope they'll get Tom Hanks to visit and build a home there to raise their profile.  Anyway, a new Netflix or Hallmark movie idea that won't be made into an award worthy film.

The land is probably a Souvenir Plot so they can call themselves Lord or Lady.

• Useful 2

Speaking of the Maury show, every once in a while I would put it on, much like Jerry.  The Maury show, is soooooooo repetitious. Girl makes accusation.  Girl is proven wrong.  Girl with faux crying and no tears makes a run for the back hallway.  Every.....single..... time.  Dont they know by now theres no where to go back there.  They just cant sit there and take what's being hurled at her.  Maybe with an hour being freed up,they can bring back Steve Wilkos.  BBS Bring back Steve!  BBS BBS BBS lol.

On 3/22/2022 at 1:22 PM, Bastet said:

She was never not invited. 

The studio had the responsibility to give her the ticket, not the Academy.

She had a scheduling conflict - they're filming Snow White in London - and she won't have been able to attend.

Now, thanks to her big stink on the Internet, they're going to re-arrange the production schedule for hundreds of workers, during COVID, so that Rachel Zegler can attend a party. 

I wish her all the luck with her career. Because she sure as Hell is going to need it. 

🤡🤡🤡

Edited by ursula
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, ursula said:

She was never not invited. 

The studio had the responsibility to give her the ticket, not the Academy.

She had a scheduling conflict - they're filming Snow White in London - and she won't have been able to attend.

Now, thanks to her big stink on the Internet, they're going to re-arrange the production schedule for hundreds of workers, during COVID, so that Rachel Zegler can attend a party. 

I wish her all the luck with her career. Because she sure as Hell is going to need it. 

🤡🤡🤡

I'm confused, didn't her initial comment make it seem like she hadn't been invited? If she couldn't attend because she was in London filming, why couldn't she just say "I won't be able to attend since I'm working in London and it would be too much to fly back and forth to LA." Seems like this whole thing could have been avoided had she just she's working and traveling would be a hassle, which most people would understand.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

I'm confused, didn't her initial comment make it seem like she hadn't been invited? If she couldn't attend because she was in London filming, why couldn't she just say "I won't be able to attend since I'm working in London and it would be too much to fly back and forth to LA." Seems like this whole thing could have been avoided had she just she's working and traveling would be a hassle, which most people would understand.

Disney probably didn't give her a ticket because they know they're own shooting schedule.  But, when asked, she didn't say that, she said she wasn't invited (techinically true). Her fans then made it out to be a race thing, so of course, now she has to go.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I'm confused, didn't her initial comment make it seem like she hadn't been invited?

It did. 

If she couldn't attend because she was in London filming, why couldn't she just say "I won't be able to attend since I'm working in London and it would be too much to fly back and forth to LA." Seems like this whole thing could have been avoided had she just she's working and traveling would be a hassle, which most people would understand.

The hassle was exactly what she wanted. 

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Her fans then made it out to be a race thing, so of course, now she has to go.

She planted the idea and her fans ran with it.

She still doesn't have to go. Once the issue started blowing up, she could have immediately explained the logistics problem and put the issue at rest. This was always was a ploy to strong-arm Disney into adjusting their shooting schedule, to enable her attend. 

Edited by ursula
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, bluegirl147 said:

I have not seen the movie and barely know who Rachel Zegler is (although I know her more now because of all this) so I have to ask.  Should she have been invited if she hadn't been filming in London?

She's the star of a film nominated for best picture, so I'm going with YES, she should have been invited. 80% of the attention for the film is going to Ana Debose, 18% to Rita Moreno, 1.75% to Spielberg, leaving very little in the way of press coverage for anyone else in the film. This may have been a deliberate play for publicity, but it also might have been a young actress feeling excluded and discounted.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7

80% of the attention for the film is going to Ana Debose, 18% to Rita Moreno, 1.75% to Spielberg, leaving very little in the way of press coverage for anyone else in the film. This may have been a deliberate play for publicity, but it also might have been a young actress feeling excluded and discounted.

West Side Story is not my favorite musical, but even I know that the attention ALWAYS goes to Anita. From what little I know about Rachel, she gives me Gen Z chronically online vibes.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

I have not seen the movie and barely know who Rachel Zegler is (although I know her more now because of all this) so I have to ask.  Should she have been invited if she hadn't been filming in London?

Because she was in London, she was invited to the BAFTAS and she was part of the London contingent for the Critic Choice Awards.  It stands to reason that she would have been invited to the Oscars if she was not on location.  Which is what happens as a working actor, sometimes you miss an award show or two.  

She also knew why Disney chose not to invite her.  But, she had to play passive-aggressive and force the issue.  The story broke due to her responding to a comment on her Instagram.  Someone asked what she would be wearing to the Oscars and she responded "I wasn't invited."  Not "I can't make it, shooting Snow White in London."

• Useful 7
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It stands to reason that she would have been invited to the Oscars if she was not on location.  Which is what happens as a working actor, sometimes you miss an award show or two.  

She also knew why Disney chose not to invite her.  But, she had to play passive-aggressive and force the issue. 

I hope this comes back to bite her somehow.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Which is what happens as a working actor, sometimes you miss an award show or two. 

For example, you could be filming a really crap shark movie instead of accepting an Oscar for Hannah and Her Sisters.  But apparently the shark movie built a terrific house.

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I read somewhere that it was the head of Disney who decided she shouldn't go because she was filming Snow White (another Disney film). This doesn't mean that anyone told her the reasons, the decision was made behind the scenes, so as far as she was concerned, she wasn't invited. This is just another in the list of really bad decisions Disney has been making lately, I have a feeling Bob Chapek will be leaving Disney in the not so distant future.

• Useful 6
  • Love 5
56 minutes ago, GaT said:

I read somewhere that it was the head of Disney who decided she shouldn't go because she was filming Snow White (another Disney film). This doesn't mean that anyone told her the reasons, the decision was made behind the scenes, so as far as she was concerned, she wasn't invited. This is just another in the list of really bad decisions Disney has been making lately, I have a feeling Bob Chapek will be leaving Disney in the not so distant future.

Yeah that’s kind of why I’m going to give Rachel the benefit of the doubt on this one. Are we sure that she knew why in the beginning? Because if they didn’t clue her on why, everything else that resulted might have been a misunderstanding. Really, in her place, wouldn’t you feel slighted if you didn’t know all the facts?

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

I was inclined to be sympathetic to her at first, but once it started to gain traction, her immediate response was to try to douse it with “My goodness, folks!! Appreciate all the support, I really really do. We live in such unprecedented times, and a lot of work behind the scenes goes into making movie magic happen. That goes for film productions (like the one I am so lucky to be currently shooting in London) and awards shows alike. Let’s all just respect the process and i’ll get off my phone.”

That seemed like a very weird response to me from someone who'd just been claiming she had no clue why she wasn't invited and was doing everything in her power to make it happen. It's possible she truly was clueless when she complained but realized that people criticizing Disney on her behalf might not look good to Disney execs (or had the reasoning explained to her after), but I thought that statement made a lot more sense in the context of someone who was well aware of the reasons why they weren't "invited" and then panicked when their complaint about it that conveniently left out certain pertinent facts turned into an internet cause célèbre. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Zella said:

That seemed like a very weird response to me from someone who'd just been claiming she had no clue why she wasn't invited and was doing everything in her power to make it happen. It's possible she truly was clueless when she complained but realized that people criticizing Disney on her behalf might not look good to Disney execs (or had the reasoning explained to her after), but I thought that statement made a lot more sense in the context of someone who was well aware of the reasons why they weren't "invited" and then panicked when their complaint about it that conveniently left out certain pertinent facts turned into an internet cause célèbre. 

Or, someone who didn't know when she posted her first response, but was told before she posted her second one.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, GaT said:

Or, someone who didn't know when she posted her first response, but was told before she posted her second one.

That was what I meant when I said "(or had the reasoning explained to her after)." I will add, though, why continue to obfuscate at that point? Just admit that you didn't know but that you weren't not invited for magically mysterious reasons rather than vaguely posting about respecting the process. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

That was what I meant when I said "(or had the reasoning explained to her after)." I will add, though, why continue to obfuscate at that point? Just admit that you didn't know but that you weren't not invited for magically mysterious reasons rather than vaguely posting about respecting the process. 

Because it's probably not in her best interests to publicly say "it's all Bob Chapek's fault"

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, GaT said:

Because it's probably not in her best interests to publicly say "it's all Bob Chapek's fault"

But if what actually happened is she was not invited due to a schedule conflict with her filming, it's not really anybody's fault. You don't have to be a master of the written word to clarify that it was a misunderstanding over scheduling. 

And I'd actually argue that passive aggressively complaining about it and then backpedaling inconclusively like she did looks a lot worse. I doubt Disney is super interested in working with her after this. 

This gives me major Katherine Heigl goes on Letterman and bitches about her schedule, only for the world to find out her schedule was changed to accommodate her Letterman appearance vibes.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Zella said:

But if what actually happened is she was not invited due to a schedule conflict with her filming, it's not really anybody's fault. You don't have to be a master of the written word to clarify that it was a misunderstanding over scheduling. 

And I'd actually argue that passive aggressively complaining about it like she did looks a lot worse. I doubt Disney is super interested in working with her after this. 

She's the STAR of a movie that's nominated for Best Picture. All the other actors from the movie were invited, & I'm sure some of them are currently working. She's not nominated, but she won a Golden Globe for the part, plus, the fact that the Latina actress didn't get an invite even though she's the star of a nominated movie is really bad optics.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 6

Really all she had to say was "I'm in London and can't make it to Hollywood for the big night so I guess I'll be in my pjs watching with y'all" or something like that, making it clear she wouldn't be there but not burning her bridges just so she could go to the ball. 

All I can think is that she knew this was probably her only chance and forced Disney's hand to make it happen despite the inconvenience it is going to cause to the entire cast and crew of the film she's working on. 

It just makes her look very selfish. 

• Love 11

I'm inclined to give Rachel a pass this time. She's only 20 years old and, according to her imdb page, she's been on one episode each of 2 shows, then was hired for this role. I have a 20 year old-they can be smart and savvy, then turn around and do something selfish, sometimes without meaning to. She's still trying to figure this whole Hollywood thing out. 

• Love 11

Wow, some are making Ms. Zegler way too nefarious! Clearly there was an oversight at Disney; it would be in their own best interest to get their own star an invite on the biggest award show(/marketing opportunity) that's airing on their own network to (at the very least) promote their own movie that she's filming right now.

It's not 'scheduling issues' when they control the schedules. Somebody prioritized the filming over the Oscars appearance, but it was the wrong call this time.

Edited by Trini
oy, grammar
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16

I’m not comfortable judging Rachel Zegler because it seems like a situation where the Disney heads were taking advantage of her being a newcomer without a lot of clout. Studios adjust filming schedules for actors to attend award shows all the time. If she was a more established actress there’s no way they wouldn’t have included her. I’m curious if Rachel’s Snow White costar, Gal Gadot, was invited and if they were already working around her absence. 

I think COVID has changed all the rules,  and adjusting schedules for an actress to fly from Europe to America and back for one night is no longer as easy as it once was.

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
23 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I think COVID has changed all the rules,  and adjusting schedules for an actress to fly from Europe to America and back for one night is no longer as easy as it once was.

Possibly but I have my doubts that Hollywood has changed that much. She has been attending other awards shows so the possibility of COVID exposure can’t be the issue and it seems unlikely she would be traveling commercial. Studios are still flying actors and film crews for locations changes during filming. For me one sticking point is that there was a very good chance she would have been nominated so they would have had to have a plan in place to work around her. 

Anyway, it will be interesting to see who attends this year and if there is any notable difference due to COVID. 

2 hours ago, Trini said:

Wow, some are making Ms. Zegler way too nefarious! Clearly there was an oversight at Disney; it would be in their own best interest to get their own star an invite on the biggest award show(/marketing opportunity) that's airing on their own network to (at the very least) promote their own movie that she's filming right now.

I'm sure the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, where it usually always is. 

I do think Rachel Zegler is going to be an interesting case study because there really isn't anyone similar to her- at 17 she literally got plucked out of relative obscurity to star in a big Steven Spielberg movie and now she's getting this big push by Disney, in part because Hollywood wants to groom a Latina leading ingenue into stardom to try and address the criticisms that their movies are always too white. 

If she does get the "difficult to work with" stamp that is the kiss of death for any young women in the industry to get because there are literally thousands of people wanting to take your place, I do hope Rachel has a Plan B.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I think part of the reason I lean towards siding with Rachel Zegler is because Disney is controlling every aspect of this. If West Side Story was a Sony movie she would have been invited because Sony would want the publicity and Hollywood wants to look progressive so highlighting her is beneficial. If the Oscars were on NBC she probably would have been originally asked to be a presenter for the same diversity reasons. In both of those instances whether she could intend would be something she would have to work out with Disney but Disney being the studio behind both movies and airing the Oscars gives them the ability to cut her out of the equation for their own benefit all the while using her to tout their progressiveness for making Snow White Latinx.

Honestly, I think the Rachel Zegler thing may not be that deep.

Pandemic era the academy has to limit the number of tickets they can give out to allow for social distancing.  So from the jump the studios are working with a lot fewer tickets than they've gotten in the past.  I'd read that pre-pandemic a nominee could request additional tickets beyond their plus one.  Some getting as many as 4 to 6 extra.  Now, however there are strict limits.

I figure Disney did the math.  They had fewer tickets than normal, and frankly she isn't the break out star of West Side Story.  Ariana DeBose is.  And if it comes down to promoting diversity, then Disney didn't even have to worry about that either because  Ariana ticks off more boxes than Rachel. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
54 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Honestly, I think the Rachel Zegler thing may not be that deep.

Pandemic era the academy has to limit the number of tickets they can give out to allow for social distancing.  So from the jump the studios are working with a lot fewer tickets than they've gotten in the past.  I'd read that pre-pandemic a nominee could request additional tickets beyond their plus one.  Some getting as many as 4 to 6 extra.  Now, however there are strict limits.

I figure Disney did the math.  They had fewer tickets than normal, and frankly she isn't the break out star of West Side Story.  Ariana DeBose is.  And if it comes down to promoting diversity, then Disney didn't even have to worry about that either because  Ariana ticks off more boxes than Rachel. 

Disney also did give Rachel her red carpet moment, at the BAFTAS plus a second red carpet moment with the Critics Choice.  They would not have flown her to London for that if she wasn't already in the country.  It feels like they did talk to Rachel about this and found what was to them a compromise.  

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

And if it comes down to promoting diversity, then Disney didn't even have to worry about that either because  Ariana ticks off more boxes than Rachel. 

I’m sure that’s true but that is so fucking depressing to me. This mindset within Hollywood that the have this diverse person so this other person isn’t necessary to show they’re diverse. Once again all while trying to show how progressive they are for casting a non-white actress to play Snow White. That seems to be the heart of the backlash. Disney wants to use her when it’s convenient but blocks her from being part of the glory.