Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It's not Twitter, necessarily.  Those rumors can pop up anywhere.  Instagram (Deux Moi), Tik Tok, Reddit....etc. I think even LiveJournal still has Oh No They Didn't.

It's when other publications start picking up Twitter rumors. 

Although I do have to say, that denial was a pretty vague denial. 

No, it’s Twitter itself. It should have been completely shut down five years ago.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, katie9918 said:

No, it’s Twitter itself. It should have been completely shut down five years ago.

But there have been a lot of social injustices signal boosted by Twitter as well. 

• Love 20

I am not too big on social media, but if I had to choose the social media service I use most (and only), it would be Twitter. Facebook is the one that needs to die a quick but painful death. You follow mess on Twitter, and you receive mess on Twitter.

Bringing this to Musk: I was so afraid that he would make it as unbearable for me as Zuckerberg makes Facebook if he took it over.

• Love 21
3 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I am not too big on social media, but if I had to choose the social media service I use most (and only), it would be Twitter. Facebook is the one that needs to die a quick but painful death. You follow mess on Twitter, and you receive mess on Twitter.

Amen. 

• Love 11
On 4/12/2022 at 11:47 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I watched Ali Wong's latest comedy special, "Don Wong", which I felt was major step down from the totally brilliant "Hard Knock Wife".  In it, she talks about how she wants to cheat on her husband, monogamy is terrible, she hates marriage, he sucks, she resents him, blah blah blah.  It wasn't at all relatable or funny to me, in fact, I kinda hated it.  Anyways they just announced the divorce 💀

My sister thinks Ali's hilarious and got me to watch that special. There were moments that were funny, but I wasn't too impressed overall. I thought some of it was crude, and I felt awful for her husband. My sister, friend and I wondered "maybe he doesn't care so long as she gets laughs and money," but I still got the vibe she was miserable in her marriage and wanted to mess with other men. 

Since my sister is such a fan, I'll take your word on. Hard Knock Wife. Maybe Don Wong was just not her best work. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Enigma X said:

You follow mess on Twitter, and you receive mess on Twitter.

I think that applies for all of them. I'm not in Twitter, so I can't say but I'm on Facebook and it's not a problem. 

• Love 5

During "Stand by Me," Wil Wheaton was being abused. Jerry O'Connell didn't know.

Didn't realize Wil Wheaton had a piece of shit stage mother.

Wil Wheaton, who appeared in the movie as Gordie, a young boy who searches for a rumored dead body with his best friends in 1950s-era Oregon, said in an interview with Yahoo! Entertainment that he never wanted to perform, but his parents forced him. Wheaton said his mother, who was an actor, "made me do it. My mother coached me to go into her agency and tell the children's agent, 'I want to do what mommy does.' "

This was part of a larger pattern of abuse, including psychological abuse and manipulation, Wheaton said he endured at the hands of his parents, from whom he is now estranged...

"I do want to apologize for not being there more for you when you were younger," O'Connell said. "You never know what someone is going through when you're with them. I don't feel guilt, but I just want to say I'm sorry I wasn't there for you more."...

Wheaton accepted O'Connell's apology, saying, "I deeply appreciate that." But Wheaton acknowledged the impossibility of the situation, how they were both children at the time and powerless to make change. 

"You were 11. . . How could you have possibly have known?" Wheaton said. "Also, everyone in the audience who is a trauma survivor knows this: We're real, real, real good at covering up what we're going through."

35 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Didn't realize Wil Wheaton had a piece of shit stage mother.

And a piece of shit emotionally abusive father.  I remember reading that last year, when there was 35th anniversary press about Stand By Me.  I've never seen him in anything other than that film, but he's written so honestly about chronic depression and anxiety (which I also have) he's on my radar for that, and I remember him talking about how awful his parents were, and how that made his performance in the film so great given the character's circumstances, but also makes it something difficult for him to watch.

Edited by Bastet
On 4/13/2022 at 9:18 PM, kariyaki said:

Sounds like it means he’s changing his name to have his wife’s name as a second middle name, not a last name.

Which means he'll never actually USE the name.   But she will, the sap. 

The REAL clincher is IF he does what most women do: Change the name on their Driver's License, Social Security Card, Credit Cards, ATM Card, Sam's Club Card, Insurance Card, CVS card, etc.    THE BIGGEST PITA!

That's why I didn't take my husband's name when we got married.  

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

God, poor Wil Wheaton. I know I shouldn't be shocked given the history of most child actors, but I'm glad he still turned out all right.

I get what you’re saying, but the phrase, “turned out all right” always bugs me. Wil has managed not to become a drug addict, a criminal or suicidal. That’s great.

But as a survivor myself, I’ve heard that, “turned out all right” and all I can think of is my history of poor and risky sexual decisions, the mess I made of my romantic relationships, my issues with food, etc, etc. I managed to stay out of prison and haven’t been in a mental institution. I am very successful in my career. I don’t wear my scars on the outside, so they are harder to see.

Wil is right. People are very, very good at covering it all up so no one knows. I’m glad that he can talk about it, and he and Jerry had this moment. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 22
27 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I get what you’re saying, but the phrase, “turned out all right” always bugs me. Wil has managed not to become a drug addict, a criminal or suicidal. That’s great.

But as a survivor myself, I’ve heard that, “turned out all right” and all I can think of is my history of poor and risky sexual decisions, the mess I made of my romantic relationships, my issues with food, etc, etc. I managed to stay out of prison and haven’t been in a mental institution. I am very successful in my career. I don’t wear my scars on the outside, so they are harder to see.

Wil is right. People are very, very good at covering it all up so no one knows. I’m glad that he can talk about it, and he and Jerry had this moment. 

You’re right. I didn’t mean for it to come off that way. What I probably should have said instead was “I’m glad he seems to have a good life now, although he probably has been affected by the abuse.”

• Love 18
28 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

You’re right. I didn’t mean for it to come off that way. What I probably should have said instead was “I’m glad he seems to have a good life now, although he probably has been affected by the abuse.”

I understood what you meant...and it's fine. Wil does seem to be coping well and he is talking about what happened to him. He seems to be dealing with his mental health. 

I do feel for Jerry. He was eleven and he still feels bad for not knowing what was happening and trying to help. I'm not hearing those same sentiments from the adults involved with Wil. 

• River is dead.
  • Wil is opening up about his abuse.
  • Corey Feldman...enough said. 
  • Jerry seems to be the only one from the film who came out of childhood acting relatively unscathed. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I'm so sorry @BlackberryJamBLACKBERRYJAM about what you went through. The scars from parental abuse never completely heal. I'm happy you survived but sad you had to go through this my friend. 

• Love 12
7 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:
  • Jerry seems to be the only one from the film who came out of childhood acting relatively unscathed. 

Predators pick kids that are from either unstable backgrounds, or they seem easily docile/easy to manipulate. Jerry seems like he came from a solid background with good parents. He was also kept out of Hollywood for the most part- aside from Stand by Me most of his work was in New York or Canada as he was growing up. His parents also emphasized education.

I've always found the best child actor stories tend to come from kid stars who 1.) weren't treated like meal tickets by their family and 2.) were encouraged to develop their interests outside of acting through education. Also, the kids who were in the "background", so to speak, but weren't the A-tier stars tend to fare better.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
25 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I've always found the best child actor stories tend to come from kid stars who 1.) weren't treated like meal tickets by their family and 2.) were encouraged to develop their interests outside of acting through education. Also, the kids who were in the "background", so to speak, but weren't the A-tier stars tend to fare better.

Also if they worked on a TV series for years (rather than a project here and a project there, always with different people) and the adult cast members served as additional caretakers/protectors/advisors.

I was rather horrified by the DVD commentary on My So-Called Life, where everyone spoke so openly about how Lisa Wilhoit (who played the little sister) had parents who basically didn't do any parenting, so Bess Armstrong and Tom Irwin took on that role on set and sometimes off.  I wish for many reasons that series had gone on longer, including that she'd had more time being with them on the regular.

• Love 2

I remember reading that last year, when there was 35th anniversary press about Stand By Me.  I've never seen him in anything other than that film,

Wil is probably best known for playing Westley on Star Trek: TNG. Many people loathe the character, which was entirely the fault of the writers, but Wil himself has become a fairly beloved member of the science fiction community. He had his own show, The Wil Wheaton Project, on SyFy for one season. I enjoyed it and was disappointed it wasn't renewed. He's been pretty busy according to IMDB.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Wil is probably best known for playing Westley on Star Trek: TNG. Many people loathe the character, which was entirely the fault of the writers, but Wil himself has become a fairly beloved member of the science fiction community. He had his own show, The Wil Wheaton Project, on SyFy for one season. I enjoyed it and was disappointed it wasn't renewed. He's been pretty busy according to IMDB.

I loved Wesley in TNG, and was disappointed when he didn't come back more after he entered Star Fleet Academy.  He was a typical, gawky teen & nailed the character.  I also loved Wil in "The Big Bang Theory" and "Leverage".  I watched his "WWP" and thought it was fun, along with his "TableTop" show.  His IMDB page list of projects is immense!  

He's hosted SO many things and has been working constantly most of his life.  He's married with children, and as someone with a traumatic childhood, he seems to be incredibly successful in spite of it.  

I really admire him.

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 22
14 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I seem to recall that Chris Columbus said he paid as much attention to the parents as to the kids when he was casting the first Harry Potter, knowing these kids were about to be thrown into a whirlwind. He wanted to be sure they had support. Similar thing with the kids on The Cosby Show. On a documentary someone said they made sure to fully interview and vet the parents before casting. Colby’s problems are well-known, but the kids seemed to all turn out pretty well-adjusted.

Golden Age stars were much the same. Some were meal tickets. Some were not. Some had parents who did everything they could to make sure they’d have as normal a childhood as possible while some focused solely on image.

I’m pretty sure I remember hearing that one reason Jerry Mathers was hired for Leave It to Beaver was that he showed up for the audition and admitted he didn’t want to be there because he was afraid he’d miss his Cub Scout troop meeting. They wanted a “real” kid. Not one bronzed and polished.

For some kids, movie and TV sets were the most stability they got. No wonder they went off the rails when that vanished.

• Love 16
36 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

Golden Age stars were much the same. Some were meal tickets. Some were not. Some had parents who did everything they could to make sure they’d have as normal a childhood as possible while some focused solely on image.

Rance Howard. Father of Ron Howard. Opie Ron is one of the success stories.

• Love 23
Just now, SusanM said:

I recently read the book Ron and Clint Howard wrote and the parents really did do the best they could for their sons.   One thing they absolutely did right IMO was they lived within their own means and while they did take a percentage of their sons' incomes it was a realistic amount based on work they actually were doing for them.  They didn't live a lifestyle of the rich and famous kind of life.

I think Margaret O’Brien’s mother did something similar. She got a salary for being her daughter’s manager/agent/onset monitor, but left most of her money alone.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, AgathaC said:

Similar thing with the kids on The Cosby Show. On a documentary someone said they made sure to fully interview and vet the parents before casting. Colby’s problems are well-known, but the kids seemed to all turn out pretty well-adjusted.

All the kids still call him "Mr. Cosby" which confuses the hell out of me. 

On 4/16/2022 at 8:25 AM, Enigma X said:

Facebook is literally the only social media service I use.  There are friends with whom I keep in touch on it, and I play some games there.  It's not dissimilar in that you get mess if you follow mess.  I don't get a lot of random crap.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Facebook is literally the only social media service I use.  There are friends with whom I keep in touch on it, and I play some games there.  It's not dissimilar in that you get mess if you follow mess.  I don't get a lot of random crap.

My main concern with Facebook is not who I might follow but more with Zuckerberg and how he runs the place. But my gripe need not be everyone's gripe.

• Love 13
Just now, Enigma X said:

My main concern with Facebook is not who I might follow but more with Zuckerberg and how he runs the place. But my gripe need not be everyone's gripe.

I do understand that.  Zuckerberg is rather creepy, I think.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Rance Howard. Father of Ron Howard. Opie Ron is one of the success stories.

Wasn't his mother Jean an equal part of that?  I've only ever read bits here and there, but I've always seen it presented as both of them; they were both actors, his career expanded from stage to film, hers took a back seat, but, being readily familiar with the business, they both made sure when Ron became the biggest star of any of them he was not the family breadwinner.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Wasn't his mother Jean an equal part of that?  I've only ever read bits here and there, but I've always seen it presented as both of them; they were both actors, his career expanded from stage to film, hers took a back seat, but, being readily familiar with the business, they both made sure when Ron became the biggest star of any of them he was not the family breadwinner.

Yes, she was, but Rance was on hand, on the set. Until recently, I'd only read and heard stories that it was Rance's presence on the set of The Andy Griffith Show that made certain Ronnie wouldn't become spoiled or entitled. 

I remember one story Ron told how he acted out and went running to Andy Griffith, hoping for support. But Andy supported Rance, telling a young Ronnie he knew what he did was wrong.

• Love 13
19 hours ago, SusanM said:

I recently read the book Ron and Clint Howard wrote and the parents really did do the best they could for their sons.   One thing they absolutely did right IMO was they lived within their own means and while they did take a percentage of their sons' incomes it was a realistic amount based on work they actually were doing for them.  They didn't live a lifestyle of the rich and famous kind of life.

It's an excellent read and one of the best "Hollywood" memoirs I've ever read. The Boys is a true love letter to Rance and Jean Howard from their sons.

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, MaggieG said:

Jeez, this guy is slowly flushing his career down the toilet. What is going on with him?

Ezra is a great young actor, but yeah, I expect to see them checked into a rehab facility pretty soon. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Ezra is a great young actor, but yeah, I expect to see them checked into a rehab facility pretty soon. 

I've liked Ezra ever since The Perks of Being A Wallflower and the hilarious cameo in Trainwreck but something is just off.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Brooke Shields, whose mother was an alcoholic and whose father was mostly absent; also seemed to turn out OK as an adult.  I presume she is just a very resilient human being.

Brooke Shields did the education thing with Princeton and has pretty much said that killed the momentum of her career. Honestly though, it probably would have cooled down no matter what because if there's one thing Hollywood will never run out of, it's fresh young ingenues to chew up and  spit out. The fact that her heyday was over 40 years ago and she's still a household name isn't bad.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

Wil Wheaton is one of a few age appropriate childhood crushes that grew up into an awesome human. I follow him on Instagram and have been turned on to so many small businesses. I'm so grateful for him, for Paris, for other celebs who speak up about their childhoods, their experiences. They are under no obligation to do so but their voice carries weight and advocacy towards mental health care.

This reminds me I need to order Still Just a Geek.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Chrissy Teigen, a 36-year-old model and influencer who occasionally gets canceled, never seems to run out of things to post on Instagram. Yesterday, after sharing photos of her children celebrating Easter on her main page, she shared a nude photo of herself on her “story.” [...] Why did Teigen post this photo? Well, I’m sure she had a few reasons. I think we are supposed to understand that the principal one is that she wanted to show us her unusual tan lines. You can tell by her self-deprecating caption: “this is great.”

https://www.gawker.com/celebrity/teigen-tales-chrissy-teigen-posts-a-nude-mirror-selfie

I guess it's easier to ignore negativity on Instagram.

• Useful 2

A$AP Rocky, whose legal name is Rakim Mayers, was returning from a trip to Barbados with Rihanna, his girlfriend, when LAPD and ICE officers detained him at Los Angeles International Airport. Eyewitnesses told TMZ he arrived in a private jet and was handcuffed at the terminal.

Per NBC, A$AP Rocky was under investigation for a November 6 shooting in Hollywood near Vista del Mar and Selma Avenue. A news release from the LAPD refers to A$AP Rocky and the victim as “two acquaintances” and says that they got into an argument that “escalated and resulted in the suspect firing a handgun.” The victim told officers that A$AP Rocky shot at him “three to four times,” grazing his left hand, before fleeing with two other men. The shooting does not appear to have been reported in the press at the time.

https://www.thecut.com/2022/04/asap-rocky-arrested.html

I still can't believe this girl turned one catch phrase on the Dr Phil show into a multi million dollar career. I don't know if it's her, or advisors, but somebody is doing something right.

Bhad Bhabie Hates 'Cash Me Outside' Reference, I'm Worth $50 Million!

As proof of her earning and spending power, BB bought a $6.1 million home in Florida. The house is beautiful, and although she wants to shed her old moniker ... she plunked down the $6.1M in CASH!

This story has some photos of the house, & it's gorgeous, just what I would want.

https://www.complex.com/music/bhad-bhabie-buys-florida-mansion-cash

1 hour ago, GaT said:

I still can't believe this girl turned one catch phrase on the Dr Phil show into a multi million dollar career. I don't know if it's her, or advisors, but somebody is doing something right.

I remember learning that she actually had some semblance of decency when she slammed Logan Paul for his whole suicide filming sequence. The fact that BB actually paid cash for her house and therefore owns it outright is pretty damn smart. She could have tried to get a mortgage for a 25 million dollar house and been screwed if/when the Onlyfans money runs out. I agree- someone's definitely doing something right and is setting this girl up for the day when she can't make money off her body.

I mean, hey, what she's doing really isn't that far off from what the Kardashians did/do, and BB didn't have the benefit of celebrity friends that they did. You can't fault a girl who can hustle, right?

• Love 13

What the hell is wrong with Angelina Jolie filing this anonymous (Jane Doe) lawsuit against the FBI?  Findings were revealed in 2016...no wrongdoing by Brad Pitt. So what the hell is her problem?  She obviously hates the man and wants to bury his career with more bullshit.

Let me say this, if my mother tried to destroy my father every time he slapped me, the guy would be a dead man. Get over it, bitch. That was 6 years ago. Allegedly, it happened, he apologized, went to therapy, etc. and it's over. Can't you just move on??

Edited by MsTree
  • Useful 4
  • Love 8