Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: I Came to Say Goodbye

• Start Topic

Along with “siblings” and the “MY dad” etc., my pet peeve of how they discuss their family is “little girls.”  Directly to them - “hey little girls, you know Ethan loves you right?”  Way to not let them have any identity of them own.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Way to go, Ethan!

I can’t even put into words how much I loathe the parents. The smug self-righteous smirk makes Barry’s face so punchable, I’d have a hard time restraining myself. They’re the type of people who use their beliefs to justify how they’re right and everyone else is wrong.  How can they possibly feel they’ve done nothing to Olivia?  Questioning her character is about as low as you can go.  I may not agree with everything Olivia has said or done but she’s been fighting a long, uphill battle alone.  I’m glad Ethan finally stood up for her.

i think Kim has a mean streak a mile wide and is seriously deranged.  Barry is too stupid to notice or care.  They’re going to grow old,  with only the obedient prayerful daughter at home, and miss out on grandkids and other joys but they’ll still believe they were right.

I think the affectation of using the word sibling comes from the truly suffocating atmosphere in the home. There’s no real closeness between family members.  I get the same vibe from the other fundie packs. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
22 hours ago, abracadabra said:

I recorded, and it cut off the very end. Can anyone tell me what the preview for next week looks like? I forgot to ask in my earlier posts. 

I think this was the season finale.

• Useful 1
On 1/6/2021 at 5:12 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

How strange she asked everyone to dress up in their "fanciest dress" only to have a pie fight, I hope she does not put a taffeta dress in the washer.

Her dinner looked like all she needed was a box cutter to prepare anything on her menu.

And then cut a bitch if they didn’t like it.

• Love 2
On 1/5/2021 at 10:43 PM, spacefly said:

It’s strange the way Ethan talks to Moriah and Micah. Saying “my siblings”, “my Parents” instead of “our siblings” and “our mom and dad”. It’s as if he is telling the story to someone else. I did love his confront with Barry and it did feel/seem realistic. He backed it when confronting his dad. 

I do this, but not as much. I have one younger brother (younger by 2 years) and we're in our late 40s. We live thousands of miles apart, but I am constantly catching myself saying "my mom" or "my dad" or "my parents." Then I will say, "I mean, OUR mom." I have no idea why. I wonder if we had a 3rd sibling if I'd say "my brother" to one of them when referring to another. 🤷🏻‍♀️😂😂😂 But I wonder if that's the way that the older estranged 3 kids do that because they feel really disassociated from the rest of the family.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

This episode was completely off the rails with those parents. They are foul, disgusting, and vile individuals who need mental help.

The dad's little bitchy "FINE LET'S GO SAY GOODBYE TO OLIVIA IN THE CAR THEN" was completely uncalled for. He was called out by his adult son for being controlled by his wife, and he didn't like it. So he's going to be a petulant little shit and sashay down the driveway to make a point. I'm terribly proud of Ethan for not only feeding his parents the real truth, standing up for his wife to correct his past wrong of not doing so before, and then physically protecting her by stopping his asshole father. AND the father knew he was wrong when Ethan stood up to him. Good on Ethan.

I may be a little provincial about this, but who lets 7yos drink coffee? I used to let my kids have a Starbucks frappucino maybe once a month as a treat or to thank them for hanging in with me all day if I had to do a lot of shopping. I could see a can of soda for a 1st- or 2nd-grader once a week, but a cup of coffee? That's really odd to me.

The mother's "dress-up big-girl dinner party" reminded me of shit that captors pull on their hostages by giving them something 'nice.' Controlling their every move and then throwing them some crumbs; in this case, industrial-sized frozen food from Sam's. Or something that captives do, such as Anne Frank's family when they were hiding in the attic once a year so that they can recall and enjoy some normalcy that they miss.

When that woman slammed the pie in her son's face, it was like "You'd better not go off and do what your older brothers did - and I'm not going to let you forget I can treat you like this without warning WHENEVER I FEEL LIKE IT." Who has people dress up in quite literally the nicest clothes in their closets and then trashes their best clothing? She probably made those kids clean up all of that mess, too, while she sunk her porky ass into a long soak in her jacuzzi tub. Those parents are bonafide disturbed.

Edited by lightninggirl
  • Love 17

Mariah’ s voice was not good but I liked the words to the song she wrote and was singing.   I could see her singing some modern gospel and being pretty good at it. Backup singers and loud music would mask any voice flaws. 

Barry smiling reminds me of the black girl from Florida on 90 Day Fiancé the Other Way and her father. They have that going on all the time. Strange but true. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

When that woman slammed the pie in her son's face, it was like "You'd better not go off and do what your older brothers did - and I'm not going to let you forget I can treat you like this without warning WHENEVER I FEEL LIKE IT." 

Yes. This. She did it to him because he is going to be the next one that leaves her. 

• Love 12

That whole pie scene was silly and ill conceived.  Whomever thought that one up should find other work.  They all looked silly and I was sure somebody was going to get hurt with those tin foil pans flying everywhere.  They themselves seemed uncomfortable explaining how much fun they were having.  Sigh.

Spoiler

• Love 1

While I know everyone has been concentrating on the Ethan/Olivia vs. Kim/Barry mess, and the stupid pie-throwing dinner, I wanted to bring up something that hasn't been discussed; Micah revealing he's being courted by Select Model Management in Miami.

I hope Micah has an attorney look over the contract the agency will have him sign before he signs it so he knows exactly what he's getting into, but I know he won't. And because of that, he's in for a whole lot of financial trouble.

Models are independent contractors; not employees.

Modeling agencies take 20% of model's earnings for commission. In addition, they deduct all the expenses associated with getting a model work from those earnings: test shots (for pictures for a new model's "book"), creating and maintaining the agency's webpage for the model, 'comp' cards (a model's business card, except it's full size & includes photos of the model & their measurements/clothing sizes) any classes or services to improve a model's appearance/performance (hairstyle, runway walking, dermatology, etc) plus housing in a "models apartment", transportation to work sites, etc.

Usually it takes months for a model to be paid for a job. In the meantime, they'll allow models to take an advance on their earnings, usually at a 5% interest rate.

Most models owe their agency thousands of dollars after a couple of years, because the expenses for which they're charged by their agency far exceed their earnings.

Micah can't even go to Barry or Kim to help him navigate his career, because they're just as clueless as he is. 

How the modeling industry exploits young and vulnerable workers

The outrageous cost of being a model 

The Model Apartment Trap

• Useful 11
  • Love 1

Wow. I just saw the episode "I came to say goodbye." This is the most honest and poignant episode I've seen of possibly any reality show.  It is all too familiar in some aspects to my own life unfortunately.  Ethan & Olivia have my support. I hope one day the family mends. Ethan saying "when someone says something mean and nasty, often times it's not the one who said them that remembers it.. it's the one it was said to." I have been on the receiving end of this. This is a control issue on the parents' end.  If your children are grown and independent (as in you aren't financially supporting them etc) you have NO say in their life and marriage. This is just beyond. Poor Ethan. It's one b.s. thing to the next. Parents /family always have a type of emotional leverage and control over the kids in the family and it takes a breaking point to step away. It doesn't ever become "easy."

Edited by Kdawg82
  • Love 7
On 1/7/2021 at 7:02 PM, nytonc said:

i think Kim has a mean streak a mile wide and is seriously deranged.  Barry is too stupid to notice or care.  They’re going to grow old,  with only the obedient prayerful daughter at home, and miss out on grandkids and other joys but they’ll still believe they were right.

Lydia looks like someone i have seen before--- maybe a Bates?

Ma Plath has the little girls in dresses while she wears jeans that she can barely squeeze into.   I just don't understand.

On 1/7/2021 at 6:51 PM, TexasGal said:

Along with “siblings” and the “MY dad” etc., my pet peeve of how they discuss their family is “little girls.”  Directly to them - “hey little girls, you know Ethan loves you right?”  Way to not let them have any identity of them own.

that doesn't really bug me that much because I noticed that when they were talking to a specific girl they seemed to use names.

20 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Micah can't even go to Barry or Kim to help him navigate his career, because they're just as clueless as he is. 

and because they are so poorly educated with no parental support, both Mariah and Micah will have more trouble navigating their " careers' that a lot of other people.   I was absolutely floored to hear Ma Plath talk about her dream of seeing Moriah on stage and how proud she would be. Way to reel Moriah back in...

• Love 4

Hate Kim’s too many for mouth teeth with vampire fangs that her lips gets caught on 

Hate it when Kim touches her hair like a preteen girl

Hate she treats her kids like pawns, using the little kids to as rewards to bending to her evil will

Want to punch Barry in his throat to wipe that smug/smirk off his stupid face every time they show him

The show is not interesting enough to focus on Ethan/Olivia and Micah and Moriah but Kim is just gross and awful 

• Love 15

Dumb quote box won't go away. Have watched this shitshow from epi 1. Ethan has gone from a goofy boy to a grown man who defended his wife. Was cheering him on. He has shown a lot of self-awareness and insight into his incredibly dysfunctional upbringing. Really hope he and Olivia keep their marriage strong. #FreeLydia

• Love 17
On 1/7/2021 at 4:10 PM, Back Atcha said:

It happens ... don't ask the mothers, but ask grown kids in families of six or more.  It happens.

I'm one of 8 kids. We all went out to eat one night in one car (big old station wagon). Ate dinner came home.  Probably 45 minutes later, there's a knock at the front door. It was an older brother who had gotten left at the restaurant. He walked home (this way a long time ago). My mom felt horrible about it. We did roll call from then on if we went anywhere together. It happens.

• LOL 5

It happens but a 1 year old should be the first one you look out for. She didn’t say she forgot him she said she made sure all the kids were secure in the car and thought the baby was away from the car when she pulled out. I don’t understand how a baby could be left alone at a farm. Besides vehicles he could fall in a pond or ditch, fall and hurt himself or even be bit by an animal. I know it was an accident but I don’t think Kim took good care of her kids, then or now.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, jacksgirl said:
On 1/7/2021 at 3:10 PM, Back Atcha said:

It happens ... don't ask the mothers, but ask grown kids in families of six or more.  It happens.

I'm one of 8 kids. We all went out to eat one night in one car (big old station wagon). Ate dinner came home.  Probably 45 minutes later, there's a knock at the front door. It was an older brother who had gotten left at the restaurant. He walked home (this way a long time ago). My mom felt horrible about it. We did roll call from then on if we went anywhere together. It happens.

My cousin...the middle kid of nine got left at the lake--alone, after a family picnic.   The family drove for a couple of miles until someone noticed she wasn't there. She's in her 60s...and still remembers.  It happens.

4 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Dumb quote box won't go away.

Don't know if this always works, but sometimes you can put your cursor on the last letter in the box and hit your Backspace key.

• Useful 2
On 1/7/2021 at 6:39 PM, lightninggirl said:

When that woman slammed the pie in her son's face, it was like "You'd better not go off and do what your older brothers did - and I'm not going to let you forget I can treat you like this without warning WHENEVER I FEEL LIKE IT." Who has people dress up in quite literally the nicest clothes in their closets and then trashes their best clothing? She probably made those kids clean up all of that mess, too, while she sunk her porky ass into a long soak in her jacuzzi tub. Those parents are bonafide disturbed.

My bolding above.  LYDIA probably has to wash and iron all those "nicest clothes."   "Porky ass."  I love that (even though I have my own).

• Love 4
On 1/7/2021 at 6:02 PM, nytonc said:

i think Kim has a mean streak a mile wide and is seriously deranged.

She was probably an insecure loser by puberty.  What kind of fabulous ex's did she have, bragging (in a sneaky-secret way) that three (four?) of them were at her wedding.  AND WHY???  They were probably slapping each other's backs, glad she was off the market and no longer stalking them.  They attended just to make sure she really got married.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, abracadabra said:

How old is Kim?

48 ish.   The article about the accident gives her age as 36 in Sept 2008 which means she was probably born in 1972 or possibly 71 depending on when her birthday falls in the year.   If my math is off, it is because I have not caffeinated myself yet.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Twopper said:

48 ish.   The article about the accident gives her age as 36 in Sept 2008 which means she was probably born in 1972 or possibly 71 depending on when her birthday falls in the year.   If my math is off, it is because I have not caffeinated myself yet.

Holy shit. She’s TWO years older than me. She was born in August 1972. And there are eleventeen children 😱

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

My bolding above.  LYDIA probably has to wash and iron all those "nicest clothes."   "Porky ass."  I love that (even though I have my own).

Yep. Lydia reminds me of Jana Duggar. A sweet, kind, soul raised fundie.

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Yep. Lydia reminds me of Jana Duggar. A sweet, kind, soul raised fundie.

She does resemble her! And a bit Erin Bates. It's not super important, but I wish someone would allow Lydia to try curl cream or a straightener. That sounds more reasonable than coffee once a week for little kids. 

Edited by abracadabra
Spelling
  • Love 4

While I understand what Ethan was doing with that visit, the execution of it was excruciatingly awkward. The whole scene had me cringing. Very "Baby's First Rage Flounce." He still has a way to go in terms of figuring out who he really is, which is understandable, but we're basically watching him go through his awkward adolescent phase as a married adult.

Likewise, I totally get why Moriah is still working out her aesthetic, and I don't have any issues with her wearing less-modest clothes or a lot of makeup. But... there are cuter options, sweetie. Like, all of them. All the options. They are all cuter than a one-sleeved, neon green, acrylic top that will 100% melt the first time she puts it in the dryer. Hopefully, she'll get the Kelly Bundy look out of her system while she's still young and beautiful so she can enjoy the rare privilege of being able to wear literally anything that's in style. I wish I could send her some Clinique and Tarte samples in colors that aren't visible from space. 

That look on Barry's face doesn't exactly read as a smirk to me. It reminds me of the grimace that Danielle from 90 Day Fiance usually wears when she's relaying one of her depressing stories. (Surprisingly hard to find a still photo of this!) "Mahamit frauded me!" <grimace> "My power was shut off because I spent all my money buying a husband!" <grimace> It's like some unnerving Bizarro World counterpart to Resting Bitch Face. Inappropriate affect can be a symptom of some neurological disorders, although I would not attempt to diagnose Barry with anything because damn.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I was okay with Ethan’s confrontation of his parents, until he shoved Isaac. Poor Isaac witnessing his father and eldest brother in each other’s faces had to be difficult. When he put himself between the two, Ethan shoved him. Not cool. I don’t care how caught up in the moment you are. Not only is Isaac your brother, he’s just a little boy. At that moment, I also heard one of the little girls scream, “Daddy!” That had to be scary and confusing for the younger children. Not a good lasting image of Ethan for them to have and one that I’m sure Kim will exploit the hell out of to show how “the world” turned Ethan into a sin monster.

I’ve only ever seen that one expression on Barry’s face so I don’t know how to read it. 
Kim has given her side of the story their whole lives, so no, we don’t need to hear it. I hate that bitch. Boo-hooing like that acting like it’s all about her again. I think Ethan did well, he said what he needed to say, kept his cool and stood his ground. 
I hope Moriah finds a less over the top look but she’s stretching her wings and trying things out. I hope she doesn’t get taken advantage of. She seems so naive and innocent and I worry about her getting in over her head. 

• Love 7

Moriah needs to embrace “less is more” when it comes to troweling on her lipstick.

What man wants to kiss what looks like Halloween wax lips?

The waxy smearing on the teeth, the faces, cheap lipstick usually tastes chemically....

Ms. Potato Head lips come to mind.....

• LOL 5

I do not understand the timeline of this show. They have the same exact clothes on in every single talking head. It makes no sense. 

Oh, and FUCK THESE MANIPULATIVE PARENTS. I literally want to smack that tiara and smug smile off Kim and Barry’s faces. 

Micah and Moriah are ten times the parents to those poor sweet children than those horrible asshole adults are. When she rammed that pie into the quiet boy’s face I recoiled. What in God’s name is wrong with that woman? I really think that Cairo, Ga. CPS should make a visit to that household. 

Edited by Bethanne
  • Love 3
(edited)

Just found this show when looking for something to binge watch. Nothing really new to add here, but Kim is an absolute whack job and Barry needs punched in the throat. Two of the most self-righteous jerkwads I've ever seen in my life. No wonder their older kids can't stand them. Give the younger ones time, and they'll hate them too. 

Edited by JayDub1987
  • Love 5
On 1/9/2021 at 6:36 PM, humbleopinion said:

Hate Kim’s too many for mouth teeth with vampire fangs that her lips gets caught on 

Hate it when Kim touches her hair like a preteen girl

Hate she treats her kids like pawns, using the little kids to as rewards to bending to her evil will

Want to punch Barry in his throat to wipe that smug/smirk off his stupid face every time they show him

The show is not interesting enough to focus on Ethan/Olivia and Micah and Moriah but Kim is just gross and awful 

Yes Kim has a big mouth full of horse teeth and not to mention the big yellow one she has showing every single time she opens her mouth up.. It's disgusting.. Someone needs to call CPS because the way they treat their children should be considered child abuse.. 

• Love 1

Everybody seems to be getting along except for Ethan and Olivia. She now wants him moving and in therapy!

Say what you want but those kids are really close and miss each other.   Ethan wants his family but Olivia causes so much turmoil I can see why they don’t want her around. She’s very manipulating. She loves it when the family argues. 

Many don’t like mom and dad but they have raised really nice kids and they seem happy together. 

On 3/12/2021 at 6:59 AM, Missy said:

Yes Kim has a big mouth full of horse teeth and not to mention the big yellow one she has showing every single time she opens her mouth up.. It's disgusting.. Someone needs to call CPS because the way they treat their children should be considered child abuse..

Kim MAKES US check out her mouth with her shiny lipstick...painted from corner to corner.  She's one sexy-sexy female and she WILL NOT have any of that in her home!  A Queen Bee is a Queen Bee!

When kids are home schooled, I think it might be a good idea for a professional to check them out several times a year. To see what is going on with them in the house where no one else can see? If they are not being taught to cope in the real world, maybe some sort of intervention is needed? They are being set up to fail for the rest of their lives. Not education wise, but life skills wise.

• Love 1

Didn't Kim remind Mariah she scored a 95% on her standardized test for college?

Mariah loves pushing the limits.  Her parents had a lovely birthday dinner party but Mariah chose to kiss and hug at the table.  

She is a very hard to handle daughter loaded with tons of makeup and inappropriate clothing when visiting her conservative family.

I'm sure most of it is producer driven but it makes both her and her boyfriend look bad and disrespectful.

On 8/21/2021 at 4:51 AM, Jeanne222 said:

I'm sure most of it is producer driven but it makes both her and her boyfriend look bad and disrespectful.

Not to me it doesn't. I'm rather enjoying watching the psycho parents squirm and be forced to watch them kissing in front of the other kids. Tough shit for them. They deserve what they get after basically holding their own children hostage for their entire childhood. 

• Love 5
On 8/21/2021 at 7:51 AM, Jeanne222 said:

Didn't Kim remind Mariah she scored a 95% on her standardized test for college?

Mariah loves pushing the limits.  Her parents had a lovely birthday dinner party but Mariah chose to kiss and hug at the table.  

She is a very hard to handle daughter loaded with tons of makeup and inappropriate clothing when visiting her conservative family.

I read somewhere that although the show made it look like Olivia did not get the parents' permission, they actually did.  I like Olivia but when I saw that episode, I was taken aback until I read that in a magazine.