Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: I Came to Say Goodbye

• Start Topic

Airs January 5, 2021

After a long period of no contact, Ethan decides to confront his parents. Kim makes an unexpected confession that leaves Moriah speechless. Micah signs a modelling contract while Moriah records music in a studio.

Why does the dad have that stupid goofy smile during the meeting with Ethan?

"You're the neck that turns his head. You always have been." Genuis!

Ethan told Olivia that the parents wouldn't let the kids come, but wasn't it more like they wouldn't let them come without the parents? Not exactly the same thing.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 11

It’s strange the way Ethan talks to Moriah and Micah. Saying “my siblings”, “my Parents” instead of “our siblings” and “our mom and dad”. It’s as if he is telling the story to someone else. I did love his confront with Barry and it did feel/seem realistic. He backed it when confronting his dad. 

• Love 10

I am only halfway through this episode, but can I just say this is, hands down, one of the best TV moments ever and much better than I expected. I can't believe this is actually happening. I see Ethan in a totally different light now. 

And Barry's grin makes me want to punch my TV.

Edited by abracadabra
  • LOL 1
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, seasons said:

Don't forget "And everybody knows it, too"

I think I'm all of a sudden a lil' in love with Ethan.

When he ran after Barry and pulled him back from going to Olivia and got in his face I though for some reason that was sexy as heyall!! 

• Love 21
28 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Don't forget "And everybody knows it, too"

I think I'm all of a sudden a lil' in love with Ethan.

When he ran after Barry and pulled him back from going to Olivia and got in his face I though for some reason that was sexy as heyall!! 

Right? And when he said, "Well that's nice of you to say on TV for everyone to hear."

I got the heebie jeebies when Barry put his arms around the family while wearing his stupid smirk. 

Edited by abracadabra
Spelling
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, spacefly said:

It’s strange the way Ethan talks to Moriah and Micah. Saying “my siblings”, “my Parents” instead of “our siblings” and “our mom and dad”. It’s as if he is telling the story to someone else. I did love his confront with Barry and it did feel/seem realistic. He backed it when confronting his dad. 

I caught that,too! Truly odd. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, spacefly said:

Have a shot every time they say the word “sibling”....brother and sisters would work. 

Siblings is 2 syllables, whereas brothers and sisters is 5. It’s just shorter to say. It seems like they all (Plaths) use the word siblings.

2 hours ago, spacefly said:

Yes, but I’ve caught myself doing that when talking to my brother. I’ve often said “my dad.” My brother, on the other hand, had gotten in the habit of using their names when referring to them.

• Love 1

Oh, God, the singing.   A generic white girl with a thin, trembling voice who thinks she can be a recording artist.  Wonder who started that trend?  

Please stop. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
41 minutes ago, Quof said:

Oh, God, the singing.   A generic white girl with a thin, trembling voice who thinks she can be a recording artist.  Wonder who started that trend?  

Please stop. 

I get the sentiment, but at the same time I'm proud of Moriah for pursuing her passion and am glad she has something that makes her happy. We don't all have to be the best at something for it to be worth doing. Considering her background and lack of exposure and education I'm glad she has experience at anything at all. And if it makes her happy, she should continue it IMO. 

I didn't think she sounded good. But she wasn't terrible. In my 20s and 30s I picked back up several hobbies and sports I had done when I was younger. I had no illusions of being thr best in the world at them, but I wanted to become the best I could. Not everyone who plays piano will go to Julliard, but many of us play.

Edited by abracadabra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

Did I hear Moriah say she wanted to get into the "production" of music? is that different from singing and producing music?

I LOVED ethan last night too! I hate if i am sounding like i could possibly be defending Barry, but that stupid icky smirky/smile might be a nervous reaction. Cuz he was NOT happy. he is such a wimp I thot his eyes gave off a "I'm scared" look. The neck that turns the head was brilliantly timed and perfectly exacuted. 

I have mixed feelings about the younger 2 "escapees" going back to "the parents" supposedly to say i love you from Ethan and olivia and not include more support of them. They were just too nice. I DO get wanting/needing parental approval. At 50 i still wanted it .

I hated how easily and skillfully  Kim turned Ethan's visit around to make him look like the bad guy to the younger kids.

• Love 6

That was crazy. Good for Ethan. And FU to the mom for her dramatic spin in front of all the kids to get the situation back in her control.

I think the meeting with Micah and Moriah was even worse because all of the parents “acceptance” and praise of their path was COMPLETE AND UTTER MANIPULATIVE BULLSHIT to make Ethan look worse. “Look what reasonable parents we are ! Look how Moriah and Micah can have adult convo unlike Ethan and his awful wife !” It was frickin sick and meant to manipulate all the children present.

The parents will NOT take a step to accept any responsibility for their part in it. I feel this is unresolved trauma run amuck in Mom. This is all happening  because she cannot take the tragic responsibility that she lost control supervising and caring for her kids and accidentally ran  over and killed her child. That is the root. It was a tragic absolutely unintentional accident. The guilt has morphed into a sickening life of control and is an ugly beast. It is as though if she admits to ANYTHING she has done wrong then she is admitting running over her child was her fault. So she cannot admit missteps. If only Ethan had come to her on her terms without accusing her. She is SICK! 

The dad acquiesced and pivoted for the greater good when Ethan put his hands on him. The mom will never pivot in the slightest . She is sick. 

Edited by Alonzo Mosely FBI
  • Love 16

Anyone else catch all the black electrical tape on the chair in the recording studio Moriah went to, it reminded me of that horrible singer Evelyn from a 90 Day Fiance season, her recording in that guy's kitchen with really bad wallpaper, just a little sad.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, spacefly said:

Do we know if he’s been in counseling?  He really knew how to handle their gaslighting.  If it was unclear before whether Kim and Barry are abusive and controlling, this episode removed all doubt.  

3 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

That was crazy. Good for Ethan. And FU to the mom for her dramatic spin in front of all the kids to get the situation back in her control.

I think the meeting with Micah and Moriah was even worse because all of the parents “acceptance” and praise of their path was COMPLETE AND UTTER MANIPULATIVE BULLSHIT to make Ethan look worse. “Look what reasonable parents we are ! Look how Moriah and Micah can have adult convo unlike Ethan and his awful wife !” It was frickin sick and meant to manipulate all the children present.

The parents will NOT take a step to accept any responsibility for their part in it. I feel this is unresolved trauma run amuck in Mom. This is all happening  because she cannot take the tragic responsibility that she lost control supervising and caring for her kids and accidentally ran  over and killed her child. That is the root. It was a tragic absolutely unintentional accident. The guilt has morphed into a sickening life of control and is an ugly beast. 

The dad acquiesced and pivoted for the greater good when Ethan put his hands on him. The mom will never pivot in the slightest . She is sick. 

And dad is weak and complicit.

Edited by readheaded
  • Love 12
8 minutes ago, readheaded said:

Do we know if he’s been in counseling?  He’s really knew how to handle their gaslighting.  If it was unclear before whether Kim and Barry are abusive and controlling, this episode removed all doubt.  

And dad is weak and complicit.

He has created this monster by being weak and complicit for SO long. Soon enough they will run out of little kids at home they can ruin. Sad 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, geej said:

I hate if i am sounding like i could possibly be defending Barry, but that stupid icky smirky/smile might be a nervous reaction. Cuz he was NOT happy. he is such a wimp I thot his eyes gave off a "I'm scared" look. The neck that turns the head was brilliantly timed and perfectly exacuted.

I really think that's just his normal expression ... all the time.  It's definitely creepy and inappropriate 99% of the time, but I really think that's just his face.  And it does make him look ridiculous!

• Love 10

I have watched a few episodes of this show and I have had more WTF moments than I can count.

What are those parents so afraid of? 

Why does a child in that family have to run away in order to do something with their lives like go to college or find a career, are all those kids just supposed to live at home forever?

Why can't the kids that have flown the coop see their brothers and sisters?

What is up with that mother? She has such a skewed view of things, why does she want everyone to be so dependant on her, in my book that is a failure of parenting.

Moriah needs a bit of a make over.

I hope the model develops a thick skin, he has chosen a career that can rip you apart and be taken advantage of daily.

The married son...I was so proud of him trying to say goodbye to the kids and standing up for his wife and if he had taken a swing at his father I would have cheered!

Parents like that will put their 17 kids on therapists couches for ever.  The religious daughter (the one with the prayer closet), that girl is fragile, she will never thrive on the outside world, hope her parents are proud of their work. 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I have watched a few episodes of this show and I have had more WTF moments than I can count.

What are those parents so afraid of? 

Why does a child in that family have to run away in order to do something with their lives like go to college or find a career, are all those kids just supposed to live at home forever?

Why can't the kids that have flown the coop see their brothers and sisters?

What is up with that mother? She has such a skewed view of things, why does she want everyone to be so dependant on her, in my book that is a failure of parenting.

Moriah needs a bit of a make over.

I hope the model develops a thick skin, he has chosen a career that can rip you apart and be taken advantage of daily.

The married son...I was so proud of him trying to say goodbye to the kids and standing up for his wife and if he had taken a swing at his father I would have cheered!

Parents like that will put their 17 kids on therapists couches for ever.  The religious daughter (the one with the prayer closet), that girl is fragile, she will never thrive on the outside world, hope her parents are proud of their work. 

My husband watched part of last night's episode with me.  He kept saying, "This has to be scripted.  No parent could be this stupid!"

Kim is afraid of losing control.  She was afraid her kids would walk over to Olivia and Olivia would say something bad about Kim.  She keeps saying over and over that she doesn't want Ethan and Olivia say bad things about her.  She's so worried that one thing Ethan or Olivia says to her will completely change how her children view her.

I think Lydia and Isaac really do get how stupid their parents are behaving, but there's little they can do.  They are still minors and live at home.  They have to get along with their parents, and they do love their parents.  But I don't think either of them is naive enough to think their parents are perfect and Ethan and Olivia are poison.  They're just caught right now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, abracadabra said:

I get the sentiment, but at the same time I'm proud of Moriah for pursuing her passion and am glad she has something that makes her happy. We don't all have to be the best at something for it to be worth doing. Considering her background and lack of exposure and education I'm glad she has experience at anything at all. And if it makes her happy, she should continue it IMO. 

I didn't think she sounded good. But she wasn't terrible. In my 20s and 30s I picked back up several hobbies and sports I had done when I was younger. I had no illusions of being thr best in the world at them, but I wanted to become the best I could. Not everyone who plays piano will go to Julliard, but many of us play.

I agree. Her voice was thin and timid, but she was on key and her pitch was good. A fair amount of vocal training will improve her lung capacity and vocal cord strength-plus she's still young enough that her vocal cords are malleable and can be trained up. This is the perfect time for her to start vocal education. Real vocal education, not singing in a church choir or being trained by her mom who took 1 1/2 semesters of music theory in college, an experience she doesn't allow for her kids.

A problem, though, is the kind of music she chose. She wants to sing country pop, which is, well thin and trembling. Look, I like Taylor Swift as a person, but her music is wimpy and pathetic. So is most pop music. If she wants a strong, clear, healthy voice, she needs to start now on gospel, soul, blues, or some other genre that's a little more vocally demanding. It'll also help with her confidence, which she needs a lot more of. 

I did appreciate both of their professionalism. They were matter-of-fact and listened to each other. Moriah is experimenting with her looks but seems down to earth enough to not expect every man to fall for her just because she's young, thin, and wearing a ton of makeup. I wish her well.

• Love 7

I'm surprised at Moriah wanting to make peace with that monster Kim. Didn't Kim kick her out of the house when she was only 16 for being so rebellious? She doesn't deserve Moriah's forgiveness. 

How did that skinny faced, thin lipped ugly Barry produce such good looking boys? It's a miracle. 

Anybody else notice Barry calmly sitting at the table continuing to eat while everybody else was running around having fun throwing pies? What a douche. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Kudos to Ethan for standing up to his parents, and standing up for his wife.  I haven’t watched this show from the beginning so I have no idea why Kim and Barry are so against Olivia, but it doesn’t look like they have tried too much with her.  Always putting up walls to “protect” the other kids, which so far has proven to be a futile effort with the older kids.  Ethan was strong and confident and delivered a long-overdue slapdown to his smug arrogant parents and their behavior.  They are weird people.  Then the food-fight at the end.  I am all for having some messy fun, but it almost seemed like an ambush:  get dressed up and expecting a little formal dinner, then smack your son in the face with a pie at the dinner table.  Which leads me to believe that Kim may be a little disturbed.  Seemed like weird timing to me, but Barry continuing to sit there eating was kind of funny.  Otherwise, he gives off a very strange affect with that perpetual grinning expression.  

• Love 11

Ugh that smirk.....  it just comes off as super creepy. 

And can someone please sneak into Morah's closet and burn that green top. And did we see a little bit of a tattoo under the green top when she would raise her arms? Or was that a mic cord?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, maxmama said:

but it almost seemed like an ambush:  get dressed up and expecting a little formal dinner, then smack your son in the face with a pie at the dinner table.  Which leads me to believe that Kim may be a little disturbed. 

It's a big surprise, AND ONLY I KNOW WHAT IT IS, BWAHAHAHAHAHAH. 

Seriously. So disturbed.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, seasons said:

well, I guess he has seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding."

13 hours ago, abracadabra said:

And Barry's grin makes me want to punch my TV.

I cannot understand why either parent agreed to be on this show.   I sometimes think his grin is just due to "stage fright" around the cameras especially as I think so much is scripted--like the speech at the cemetery in which they seem to be implying that helping others get over accidentally killing a child is the main purpose of this show.  I think it is probably his natural grin, but I doubt he does it as often off screen. 

1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I'm surprised at Moriah wanting to make peace with that monster Kim. Didn't Kim kick her out of the house when she was only 16 for being so rebellious? She doesn't deserve Moriah's forgiveness. 

I don't think Moriah wants to hate Kim.  And she knows Kim could prevent her from seeing the younger kids.  Also I wonder if Kim would pressure Moriah to move back home if the model --whose name I always forget-- moves away.  She may also wanted to convince her mother that she should go to college.  I doubt Moriah wants to burn bridges with either parent.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

Seriously. So disturbed.

Super weird.  With only a few minutes left in the show, I couldn't imagine what it was.  Then I just stared at the tv dumbfounded.  Who does that?  Very weird.

49 minutes ago, Dmarie019 said:

Ugh that smirk.....  it just comes off as super creepy. 

And can someone please sneak into Morah's closet and burn that green top. And did we see a little bit of a tattoo under the green top when she would raise her arms? Or was that a mic cord?

Poor Moriah!  She's so sweet, and she really is beautiful.  But she desperately needs someone to take her under their wing.  She needs some major tips about what to wear and how to do make-up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

What exactly did Kim think Olivia was going to say to the younger children to badmouth her in the 5 minutes (or less probably) it was going to take to say goodbye?  They were walking TO THE CAR, not going over to Ethan and Olivia's house for an hour long visit.  And even if they were allowed to visit Ethan and Olivia at their home I'm sure the time would be filled with, I don't know, actually spending time with the kids, not talking about Kim and Barry.  Ridiculous, Kim.  Not everything is about you.

And in the future, Barry needs to figure out a new facial expression.  Yeesh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I don't blame M and M at all for how they handled the visit with their family. They can't be expected to do Ethan's bidding (as much as I absolutely love him now). They each have their own familial relationships to walk through and shouldn't be put in the middle. Yes, the parents put on a show, but I thought it was a positive visit overall. 

The one thing I wish Ethan would have done differently was when he said it wasn't a debate or discussion, yet he couldn't stand not getting a rise out of them, so he pushed a bit for a reaction. That gave Kim the ability to look slightly reasonable for a moment when she said, "Well, you don't want to debate."

The issue I have with Barry isn't just the smile in itself, it's the social inappropriateness, and I'm well aware that this comes from my experiences with my own father. Do I think Barry is a "nice" person? Yes. But he does these infuriating things in a nice way, whether clueless or intentional, that drive me crazy. He disregards the feelings and wishes of others and sweeps things under the rug with a smile and shrug of the shoulders. 

"Well, let's just bring Olivia up here and we'll all smile and wave and say hi" in this sing-songy voice. My dad used to do things like that all the time. I never knew if he had Asperger's, was simply uncomfortable or knew exactly what he was doing. "Dad, I don't want to do this and here's why,"  "All right, gang, let's head out and have a great day!"

Edited by abracadabra
Autocorrect and I do not get along
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Seriously. So disturbed.

How strange she asked everyone to dress up in their "fanciest dress" only to have a pie fight, I hope she does not put a taffeta dress in the washer.

Her dinner looked like all she needed was a box cutter to prepare anything on her menu.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, abracadabra said:

The issue I have with Barry isn't just the smile in itself, it's the social inappropriateness, and I'm well aware that this comes from my experiences with my own father. Do I think Barry is a "nice" person? Yes. But he does these infuriating things in a nice way, whether clueless or intentional, that drive me crazy. He disregards the feelings and wishes of others and sweeps things under the rug with a smile and shrug of the shoulders. 

Very passive-aggressive He wants everyone to think he's a nice person.  Casper Milquetoast OR Stockholm Kimdrome?  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Twopper said:
19 hours ago, seasons said:

well, I guess he has seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding."

He probably learned that when they were "practicing" Fundamentalist Christians and he was "under the table."  It's also a quote used often at/by Liberty University.

I cannot understand why either parent agreed to be on this show.

Kim has always and WILL always want to be a STAR...any venue will do.  She has been controlling her husband and her children for decades, but she's losing her grip--both mentally and physically (three children have escaped).  Not sure about the status of the married daughter.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, geej said:

I have mixed feelings about the younger 2 "escapees" going back to "the parents" supposedly to say i love you from Ethan and olivia and not include more support of them. They were just too nice.

I think both of them have finally figured out how to deal with KIM.  Including any support for Ethan and Olivia may have meant they (M&M) would be shunned too.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Poor Moriah!  She's so sweet, and she really is beautiful.  But she desperately needs someone to take her under their wing.  She needs some major tips about what to wear and how to do make-up.

It would be nice if Olivia was the one to do that. But this is self centered ice queen Olivia I'm talking about so never mind.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

How strange she asked everyone to dress up in their "fanciest dress" only to have a pie fight, I hope she does not put a taffeta dress in the washer.

Her dinner looked like all she needed was a box cutter to prepare anything on her menu.

I will have to go back and look at the food.   Maybe.

I just finished watching, but I read this forum earlier so I knew about the pie tossing before I saw it.  I do not understand that woman.  I liked the idea of a nice dinner on the patio and maybe teaching the children proper etiquette, because she read a book and is an expert Miss Manners now.  If you are going to do that, have it at the end of a cook out where people are in jeans and tees and don't have clothes on that might be ruined.  I  was rather surprised Lydia seemed so happy.

Can someone explain why Joshua was not in the suburban with the other children.  It sounds like Lydia and Moriah were in the car with their mom.  Was Hosannah supposed to be watching the baby?  If not, who?

And Ethan said they were moving.  So was this filmed after they were unable to buy the house Olivia wanted or before.  I wonder if they are still in Cairo.  And I wonder why I am so obsessed about any of these people.   I have also noticed Kim is pretty snarky.  Also I rather doubt Olivia and Ethan would say awful stuff about the parents to the younger ones.  Moriah and Micah need to encourage the kids to do their school work so they can get a GED and get into some kind of education or job training.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, seasons said:

Why does the dad have that stupid goofy smile during the meeting with Ethan?

Ethan told Olivia that the parents wouldn't let the kids come, but wasn't it more like they wouldn't let them come without the parents? Not exactly the same thing.

I feel it is the same. The kids would not be free to say or feel what they want to. These parents are suck.... I said sick but suck works too. Lol

• Love 5

I'm sorry, but I think this mother has basically run over two kids. The 1st I think was a dreadful mistake. In the 2nd one,  she is allowing her pettiness to seriously injure her son's life. She wants to control him at all costs. 

I think limiting your kids exposure to social media and other influences is OK.  But basically keeping them locked up on a farm is not. They don't go to school, they don't go to church that I know of, they don't go to ballet class..... She teaches them. She does not know everything. Her job is to make sure they can move on as adults. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I will have to go back and look at the food.   Maybe.

I just finished watching, but I read this forum earlier so I knew about the pie tossing before I saw it.  I do not understand that woman.  I liked the idea of a nice dinner on the patio and maybe teaching the children proper etiquette, because she read a book and is an expert Miss Manners now.  If you are going to do that, have it at the end of a cook out where people are in jeans and tees and don't have clothes on that might be ruined.  I  was rather surprised Lydia seemed so happy.

Can someone explain why Joshua was not in the suburban with the other children.  It sounds like Lydia and Moriah were in the car with their mom.  Was Hosannah supposed to be watching the baby?  If not, who?

And Ethan said they were moving.  So was this filmed after they were unable to buy the house Olivia wanted or before.  I wonder if they are still in Cairo.  And I wonder why I am so obsessed about any of these people.   I have also noticed Kim is pretty snarky.  Also I rather doubt Olivia and Ethan would say awful stuff about the parents to the younger ones.  Moriah and Micah need to encourage the kids to do their school work so they can get a GED and get into some kind of education or job training.

I have also questioned why Kim would make sure the other kids were in the car but leave a baby alone in the road while she drove to the next tree planting spot. A one year old can’t be left alone outside. I wonder if she forgot him because she has so many kids. 

I want my husband to witness Ethan telling his parents they can’t speak badly about his wife; my MIL has been saying awful things to be for over 25 years.

I think Kim ‘s pie throwing nonsense was to prove to the viewers that she is a great mom and they have all kinds of fun. Didn’t fool me, her kids need social interactions, legitimate education and to be able to see their very nice older brother.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, abracadabra said:

I recorded, and it cut off the very end. Can anyone tell me what the preview for next week looks like? I forgot to ask in my earlier posts. 

This was the season finale.

• Useful 1
On 1/6/2021 at 1:24 PM, RedDelicious said:

Seriously. So disturbed.

She's so obviously in competition with Lydia and Micah--I hope those are the right names; the married ones--LOOK!  Mom is fun, too!  I predict more of these lame "look how cool mom is" moments over the next month or so.  I hope the children enjoy it, because eventually it'll be back to Bleak House.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I think Kim ‘s pie throwing nonsense was to prove to the viewers that she is a great mom and they have all kinds of fun.

Just proved to me that she's a famewhore who needs SO MUCH attention, her children were not allowed lives outside of her control.  She's not fun.  She's a mental case.  It will be amazing if her children can grow up to be happy, productive citizens... with the emphasis on happy.  

• Love 6
12 hours ago, juliemama said:

Barry isn't goofy-looking so much as SMIRKING at his son's seriousness. He has no respect for his son. I wanted to smack that smirk off his asshole face.

He reminds me of the Canadians on South Park.

image.png.46855b2421485d127df6a5cfbf8685b7.png

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, antfitz said:
On 1/5/2021 at 8:33 PM, seasons said:

I feel it is the same. The kids would not be free to say or feel what they want to.

Just like the viewers, Olivia knew exactly what Ethan was explaining.  Additionally, Olivia didn't want to be around Kim.  Had Kim BUTTED her way in, Olivia may have escaped out the driver's door.

On 1/6/2021 at 7:17 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

The religious daughter (the one with the prayer closet), that girl is fragile, she will never thrive on the outside world, hope her parents are proud of their work. 

This is true.  Sad, and dangerous...and true.

• Love 3