Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Ladies Who Lunch

• Start Topic

Mary’s luncheon ends in disaster when Jen accuses Mary of being racist and Mary accuses Heather of being two-faced. While Whitney deals with her daddy issues, Meredith’s marriage problems escalate and Lisa reflects on her own marriage. Heather, caught between two friends, attempts to smooth things over with Mary who is still hurting over the things Jen said about her.

Airdate: 12.09.2020

• Useful 1

It is official.  This is the worst Housewives franchise ever.

Everyone is unlikeable.  They have weird affectations, and are posers.

I guess I am down to Potomac and NY.

Edited by PDXlulu
  • Love 13

Yeah, I dunno.  Marking these housewives as more annoying, evil, fake, etc. than any of the other shows is kind of a real stretch.  Salt Lake is right exactly on brand.

Edited by Lassus
  • LOL 2
  • Love 11

I looove Mary’s calm “Bye Jen, Jen bye” in response to Jen’s finger-poking and swearing and standing up at Mary’s lunch.  That is the way Jen needs to be handled if one chooses to interact with her, which is an interesting choice.  Heather sucks by enabling Jen.  

“I don’t want this around Valter.  He’s very upset.”  Camera pans to a completely stoic Valter.  So unintentionally funny. 

The words “ghetto” and “hood rat” aren’t used by Jen because they make people feel bad??  So “grandpa fucker” is uplifting?!?

Heather’s daughter with the boyfriend is so pretty.  I hope she doesn’t inherit her mom’s plastic surgery.  

OMG, Meredith was so pretty in the pictures they showed of her when her kids were young!  It’s annoying to listen to her bicker with her husband about where they’re going to live though.  That sort of big picture stuff should be worked out long in advance.  For instance, in my marriage, there is an agreement to just follow the money (aka we live where either of us can earn the most money).  If that used to be their agreement and having kids changed the equation or something, ok, then that should have been hashed out maybe at the first sonogram.  I don’t think this is about living in Ohio vs. Utah.  I think they’re incompatible assholes.  

I finally figured out why Jen is so pissed off all the time—she has a spouse who lives in the phone!  But if Mary would call Jen an “iPhone fucker,” she would tear the whole place down.  Coach Shah’s face spoke a thousand words.  

Jen is saying that if someone left the 7-11 where one of her relatives was standing in front of, she’d “beat their ass”?  What does that look like?  Would she chase down their car as it drove away or something?  I would hate to be the person who rolled up, realized I forgot my wallet at home, and had my tire punctured by the stiletto of a crazy woman.  Why does Jen assume that her relatives would give a shit if people didn’t want to go to the 7-11 where people or any race, color or creed were loitering?  When I was a young teen, I used to hang outside 7-11 with my friends, and if someone pulled up and pulled away, not only would we not want someone to beat their ass...we wouldn’t care.  Unless the people in question were over 21 and were willing to buy us beer illegally.  Then we would greatly desire their presence.

Jen is just always so outraged and offended at everything.  When something comes along to actually care about, no one is going to listen to her, because she is the boy who cried wolf.  

I find it amusing that Whitney and her husband broke up two families (hers and her future husband’s) and her storyline is that she’s in her feelings because it took some people some time to come around.  Why does she think everyone needs to rubber stamp her choices?  I think she’s re-living that through her dad’s struggle.  Maybe not all of those people support her dad.  When you break up marriages and abuse drugs, there are consequences.  Some people are quicker to forgive than others.  I think it’s actually a little judgmental to judge how long it takes for someone to accept antisocial choices. 

I’m not sure why Lisa is so integral to Sundance.  Has anyone ever been to an upscale event and said, “well, given that the top-shelf vodka brand doesn’t have a representative here in the flesh, I guess that’ll be Smirnoff and soda all night for me”?

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Lassus said:

The only reason I don't like this fight is that nothing anyone says has actually made any sense.

When Whitney said that she may be 30 but they're all old and acting like they're 10 - I thought that made sense 😄  Also when Jen threatened Mary about opening her eyes and Mary said "What are you going to do - kick my butt?"  😄 

8 minutes ago, CSunshine76 said:

You gotta love a “Pastor” who can’t step foot in a hospital or convenience store.  God forbid you shepherd that flock. 🙄

Also a "Pastor" who blasphemes just because Jen's annoying.  (And a "Pastor" who's a bigger label whore than Dorit Kemsley)

What was Jen doing when she talked to her husband on the phone?  She was wearing a suit and big pearl choker.  Does she have a job?  Does she lounge around her house like that?

Heather was looking very Jocelyn Wildenstein in that kitchen scene with her daughters.

As a rule I am supremely uninterested in seeing kids on this show, but 10 seconds of the little boys dancing was cute.  LOL that Lisa is doing this party to be present in their lives before Sundance - but then they have to get lost so she can "film a scene" with her husband 😄 

I hope this is the last we see of Whitney's dad.  If we do have to see him again I hope they give makeovers in sober living 😄 

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Marley said:

Mary sucks and is so weird. She invited Jen to kick her out I guess lol. Her facial expressions annoy me. Also she is a grandpa fucker lol. No one is jealous of your weird arranged marriage and fucked up thieving church.  Just because he is your step grandpa doesn’t make it not weird you married him.

Mary invited her so Mary could look nice, get everyone nice footage for the show, and receive an apology. Jen failed pretty much every checkbox. The hilarity (not) of Jen frantically digging up new reasons to have an issue with Mary in her crusade to be a champion of all African Americans. If the 7-11 comment really bothered she wouldn't have been hanging out with Mary enough to be triggered by the hospital comment. 

Jen confuses being black adjacent and having a rough childhood with being "authentic" in some way. Mary is highly class conscious and feels no moral obligation to empathize with The Poors because they probably aren't eating a proper macrobiotic diet and deserve it (\s). Jen's continuous attacks are absolutely out of resentment and jealousy and Heather gaslighting Mary about it was so Karen 101. In conclusion, Jen and Mary are both insufferable in opposite and incompatible ways and Jen refuses to just shut up and fake it like Mary is clearly trying to do.

Meredith's husband clearly has no respect for her career aspirations and seems like such a pill. I would have thrown him into a snowbank like Lisa did with her husband's watch.

• Love 7

Oh yea Jen sucks too. She’s fake and her plastic surgery is way too much. Her eyebrows are out of control. 

I don’t like either of them I just can’t get over Mary’s family situation it’s so fucked up. 

I feel like Jens whole rich facade is fake too. 

• Love 15

At the end of the episode, Mary said something to Heather that Jen is not used to her color, and I think Mary is at least partially right.  I think Jen has a major issue with Mary’s race.  Jen expects Mary to act in lockstep with Jen’s expectations of what a minority should be.  By barking at Mary, “you’re black!” Jen meant “act black!” which is racist.  There is no other way that it could reasonably be interpreted in the context in which it was used IMO.  It doesn’t even matter if Jen doesn’t like Mary the person; then attack Mary the person, don’t go for her race.  

On Real Housewives of Dallas, one white cast member was raked over the coals and ultimately lost her job because she said “chirpy Mexican” and some other non sequiturs about another white cast member of Mexican descent.  Here we have a woman who is Asian telling a woman who is black that she ought to act a certain way and she somehow has moral authority to do this?  I have no idea why.  Because Jen’s husband is black?  No dice.  How about...each individual gets to act in the way their conscience dictates, and if someone is opposed to someone else’s actions, or the content of their character, take it up with the individual and not their entire race to advance an argument?

I realized Jen is the biggest race-baiter and colorist that’s come around reality TV in a long time.  I forgot all about this until now, but last episode she said she was going to eat because “I’m brown; we eat.”  That’s a slippery slope to start down.  Why bring billions of people into it?  In referring to herself as “brown,” I suspect she is referring to her Tongan background (as I have never heard a Chinese person called “brown”) so why not just say that if she really feels there’s a cultural component to her appetite?  Or say that she eats because she’s hungry?  Why bring background into it at all?  Who made her the arbiter of all people who are brown?  

I get it that Mary isn’t a popular cast member, but that doesn’t excuse or offset Jen’s stereotyping and racism.  I wonder if Jen will be called on this at all at the reunion, or if she’s going to get a pass for it.  I have a strong prediction that nothing will be made of it.  Or Andy will just grin and let her out of it, because he picks winners and losers on these shows.  I’d be happy to be wrong, but similar shit recently happened—or didn’t happen, rather—on RHNYC, so the writing is pretty much on the wall.  

• Love 15

I have a friend of many decades who is Pentecostal. She never wears jewelry other than her simple wedding band. She never wears make up. Doesn’t cut her hair, but wears it up so that it is neat. She doesn’t believe in flashy clothes and I’ve never seen her in high heels. She never watches shows like these or I’d ask her what her take on Mary is. I’m sure she would say that she is the antithesis of what a devout person acts like, much less the head of a congregation. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 15

Marys Husgrandpa's Eyebrows ...YIKES .. who the hell is doing these peoples makeup and hair? they need to be FIRED ASAP.. you gonna spend all that money on clothes but walk out with that BAD BAD hair and makeup and letting your Grandpa/husband walk around with those eyebrows?

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Marys Husgrandpa's Eyebrows ...YIKES .. who the hell is doing these peoples makeup and hair? they need to be FIRED ASAP.. you gonna spend all that money on clothes but walk out with that BAD BAD hair and makeup and letting your Grandpa/husband walk around with those eyebrows?

I had been going with Grandpusband but I like Husgrandpa too!

I don't like Mary or Jen, they are both insecure and trying REALLY hard. 

But I dislike Meredith the most (right now) as she is trying the hardest to be "above it all" and just too good for all of the fighting.  Ok, whatever you are on a reality show, get over yourself.  What an asshole.

How about when Whitney straddled her brother?  

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I don't like Mary or Jen, they are both insecure and trying REALLY hard. 

But I dislike Meredith the most (right now) as she is trying the hardest to be "above it all" and just too good for all of the fighting.  Ok, whatever you are on a reality show, get over yourself.  What an asshole.

Her and her son can kick rocks .. UGH

• Love 13
On 12/10/2020 at 1:25 AM, rozen said:

Mary invited her so Mary could look nice, get everyone nice footage for the show, and receive an apology. Jen failed pretty much every checkbox. The hilarity (not) of Jen frantically digging up new reasons to have an issue with Mary in her crusade to be a champion of all African Americans. If the 7-11 comment really bothered she wouldn't have been hanging out with Mary enough to be triggered by the hospital comment. 

Jen confuses being black adjacent and having a rough childhood with being "authentic" in some way. Mary is highly class conscious and feels no moral obligation to empathize with The Poors because they probably aren't eating a proper macrobiotic diet and deserve it (\s). Jen's continuous attacks are absolutely out of resentment and jealousy and Heather gaslighting Mary about it was so Karen 101. In conclusion, Jen and Mary are both insufferable in opposite and incompatible ways and Jen refuses to just shut up and fake it like Mary is clearly trying to do.

I also recognize that it is too hard to fleece the Black poors in her church if she empathizes or identifies with them in any way. The only way one can endure Mary's cult running, relations with someone who previously was inside of grandma life is compartmentalization with a couple of doses of dissociation thrown in. There is no way Mary is fully present for most of her life. 

I am with you on Jen and her definition of authenticity and Heather with the gaslighting.

Edited by red12
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

This is more interesting than the episode.  I humbly submit, Husbrandpa.

When Jen for real left the lunch, my first thought was "girl take the LV box!" and then Mary immediately asked Heather to give it back to her.  

I think the last scene I saw before I fell asleep was Heather with her girls.  By the time the loud car driving boyfriend arrived, was her whole house smoky from the bacon cooking or what?  I remember thinking her house looks weird and then I woke up hours later with the tv still on.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Grusband!

This might win.  I would submit a less-decent "Grucker" or VR-inspired "Gruckboy", but that's just me.

Edited by Lassus
  • LOL 15
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

Multiple times.  Yeah, I’m not about to grapple with my brother.  

Also, wear a dam seatbelt!!!  In her dad’s truck.  He looked like he was laying down while he was driving.  He was worried about his stuff in the back getting wet, well let me tell you, if you put that chair upright you could probably cram some more stuff in the cab.   But that truck looked like it had seen better days so maybe that’s just how the chair is stuck. 

Oops!  One more things. What’s up with Whitney’s confessional looks?  She went from normal to totally makeup gun set on whore / magic marker eyebrows / Lady Elaine cheeks.  Which was the before and after is what I need to know.  

Edited by geauxaway
  • Love 19
20 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Oops!  One more things. What’s up with Whitney’s confessional looks?  She went from normal to totally makeup gun set on whore / magic marker eyebrows / Lady Elaine cheeks.  Which was the before and after is what I need to know.  

Honestly, I didn't even look at her face.  I was waiting for her breast to completely pop out.   Obvi it was on purpose because it wasn't a one shoulder dress and she adjusted it as if it was.  Between this and dancing on the pole, she's quite the exhibitionist. 

• Love 7

Mary and Jen both have issues listening:

Jen did NOT call Mary a "grandpa motherfucker", she said she fucked her grandpa.

And it's NOT the black people in front of the 7-11 that prevent Mary from going in, It's the fact that it's a convenience store, and she doesn't go into convenience stores -I would love to hear her excuse for that one.

They don't even know what they're mad/arguing about

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • Love 10

I can't decide if I like this series or not. As hard as I've tried, I still can't tell the two brunettes apart. It was uncomfortable watching one of them fight with her husband. Like, why film that? It was cringe.

And the one husband (maybe it was the same guy?) telling his wife how awesome Canton, Ohio was and they should move there cracked me up. Canton is pretty cool but it is an odd choice of all places to move to.

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, stephlane80 said:

I can't decide if I like this series or not. As hard as I've tried, I still can't tell the two brunettes apart. It was uncomfortable watching one of them fight with her husband. Like, why film that? It was cringe.

And the one husband (maybe it was the same guy?) telling his wife how awesome Canton, Ohio was and they should move there cracked me up. Canton is pretty cool but it is an odd choice of all places to move to.

She (Meredith) is checked out of that marriage completely and he is still trying to hold on ... its super sad ...she kept him on the line long enough to get this show then now is done with him ..

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, OFDgal said:

Honestly, I didn't even look at her face.  I was waiting for her breast to completely pop out.   Obvi it was on purpose because it wasn't a one shoulder dress and she adjusted it as if it was.  Between this and dancing on the pole, she's quite the exhibitionist. 

I think this was the first week I was able to get my eyes off of the wayward breast - you have to remember to look at the rest of her next time!  Plastic wiggish hair, fake-tan-caked makeup, eyebrows all over the place - she's like a Far Side version of Marilyn Monroe 😄 

• LOL 14
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

Whitney was all kinds of cringey last night...the way she kept joyfully humping her brother, the new plastic face/boobs she flashes in her talking heads, her baby-talking her half-comatose dad in his gross pickup truck and his Party City wig while not even wearing a seatbelt..that was just a whole lot of WTF to unpack.

It took me a minute to understand her sibling backstory.  So the guy she was humping wasn’t her BLOOD brother.  Makes it A-OK in Mary’s book!

I get a really weird vibe from Whitney.  Everything has a sexual undertone to it with her, I can’t put my finger on it and I don’t think she is this little Miss Innocent she is trying to portray.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, princelina said:

I think this was the first week I was able to get my eyes off of the wayward breast - you have to remember to look at the rest of her next time!  Plastic wiggish hair, fake-tan-caked makeup, eyebrows all over the place - she's like a Far Side version of Marilyn Monroe 😄 

All her fancy labels and she can't get a decent wig, the top of her wig always has these choppy hairs sticking straight up and sheen is that of Barbie hair.  Yes, the make up is bad, very bad.

The HW whose husband is going to Ohio...that house looks like a rental house if I've ever seen one.  I caught a glimpse of a heating pad under the bed, it needs a bed skirt.  

That HW whose son insists on being the 5th or 7th HW...no, just no.  What is it with these kids that want a clothing line, they are clueless, uneducated, never seem to have worked in the industry (folding jeans at the Gap does not count), of all of the designing teens I have never seen any of their designs anywhere and they are usually not very interesting "fashions."

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I know!!

When I was married to my first husband we belonged to the synagogue where he grew up, my brother had gotten sick and returned to Baltimore for treatment (he was in town for about 6 months) then went back to Seattle (where he was living) for a bone marrow transplant, I flew back and forth (2 weeks every month), for a year and unfortunately he passed away, we flew him home for burial, sat shiva, etc...not once did I hear from the rabbi, not one damn time...it forever changed my opinion about him and when I asked my (now ex), about why the rabbi never called me the answer was "that he is just not good at that sort of thing." 

Comforting a parishioner is a huge part of that job, visiting someone that essentially pays your salary is the least you can do, I bet Mary would visit someone if they told her they had a check for her...nothing Mary does impresses me, not the designer clothes and not her life choices.

I apologize for the long story but Mary is the poster child for these for profit churches...I hope her congregation and the IRS are watching.

I appreciate the story, and I agree with your sentiments. Having grown up with a father who was a minister, the church came first. Always. 

Mary baffles me..I’d really like to hear from some of her parishioners. I cannot imagine her participation in this show will help her in any way! The church is clearly a farce.

• Love 15