Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Ladies Who Lunch

• Start Topic

Am I remembering this HW tiff correctly --  the whole kerfluffle with these two started because Jen said Mary smelled like a hospital? Is that bad -- sounds kind of clean and sanitary! All I can think of is Elaine and the "big head" comment: it's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me.

This show, these HWs, definitely third tier. Still giving off a weird vibe, very try hard-y, a little bit Stepford Wives, a little bit country and yet, somehow, despite the weirdness, not very compelling.  The luxurious-life having pastor thing is strange to me. I would be side eyeing the hell out of that as a congregant.  

Best part of the episode was amidst the fighting, they cut to the dude who was frantically shaving truffles.

• LOL 5

I'm of both minds--the hospital smell triggers Mary's negative memories of being in a hospital. I can respect that.

Jen's Aunt did just lose both her legs, so I can see where she's going to be sensitive about Mary's inability to get past associating hospitals as being bad.  I respect her feeling disrespected.

But.  I can't respect two "friends" who can't come to their senses, a couple of days later and realize this is stupid.

Mary's face is very .......animated.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, dosodog said:

I'm of both minds--the hospital smell triggers Mary's negative memories of being in a hospital. I can respect that.

Jen's Aunt did just lose both her legs, so I can see where she's going to be sensitive about Mary's inability to get past associating hospitals as being bad.  I respect her feeling disrespected.

But.  I can't respect two "friends" who can't come to their senses, a couple of days later and realize this is stupid.

You are right, Dosodog-- there's definitely more to the story. I need more context I guess. How exactly did she say it, and at what point in the conversation?

If it was:

Jen: My poor Aunt had to have both legs amputated, I'm so upset about it, and then Mary says, eww you smell like a hospital, then clearly , that's awful. Fault: Mary

But, if it was just at initial greeting, and Mary says that Jen smells like a hospital and Jen somehow expects Mary to have known what had happened to her aunt, then Jen is in the wrong because Mary should not be expected to know that, and Jen is being silly to get so offended by something that was not said with the intent to offend. Fault: Jen

I'm not a fan of people who get off on telling others off, and the impression I get is that's Jen. But I could be wrong, and if I am, I will take "No RHoSL for you, Jel!" as my penance ;)

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, dosodog said:

I totally agree about hospital smell. I don't think it's as bad as it used to be...or I've become somewhat (not totally) desensitized (which is depressing to think about). And it is one of those smells that attaches -like coming home from a bar smelling like cigarettes, in the olden days. But, to call someone out on it? and then not have any respect for the trauma her friend is going through? and then get into an argument about it? a bit much.

On the other hand, even if I had just come from the hospital where my aunt, unexpectedly, had to have her legs amputated, and someone said I smelled like hospital, I don't think I'd have demanded an apology or refused to allow any of my friends to be friends with her. Surely, I'd have found it an odd thing to say, but people are weird and say weird things at weird times. Usually, it's best to just let it go. But that's my philosophy, obviously not one shared by Jen or Mary.

If Mary weren't such a(n alleged) scheister, she'd really be hysterically funny.

• Love 3
On 12/13/2020 at 4:45 PM, IKnowRight said:

Jen ruins this show for me.  She is was too full of herself and over the top.  I wonder what she looked like before messing with her face.  She’s so severe looking, in the same was as Adrienne from RHOBH. She is hard to like. 

In episode 1 when she introduces herself they show at least one picture of herself and husband meeting in college - like most hws she was a pretty young woman whose vanity has made her look like a freak.

On 12/14/2020 at 8:37 AM, Lassus said:

Regarding general complaints on the show being trash or somehow beneath the level of the others shows, storyline- or character-wise, I'm still not seeing it.  I mean, ALL of the Real Housewives franchise is trash, that's the only reason I watch it.  These women and their supporting cast of families do not lie or debase themselves and others any more than any other RH show.  They certainly do so differently and in different surroundings, I suppose, but I still just think it's a particularly odd subjective judgment.  Lack of moral compass?  Unlike who, like, Vicki?  Sonja?  Convicted felon Teresa Giudice?  The entire franchise has no moral compass. 

I didn't call them bottom of the barrel because of their moral compass - my reason was that they are below average in interesting lives, "problems", looks and glam.  Although as time goes on the TH looks are growing on me as there's always something I hadn't yet noticed to critique 😄   

ETA:  the college age son is bottom of the barrel too.  Down there with "Amelia Gray" Hamlin 😖. She should be in this show!  😄 

ETA again:  so I just watched tonight's episode of Brooksie getting ready for his "fashion show" - my apologies to "Amelia Gray" Hamlin.  She may be the bottom of every other barrel but he's way lower.

Edited by princelina
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Jel said:

If it was:

Jen: My poor Aunt had to have both legs amputated, I'm so upset about it, and then Mary says, eww you smell like a hospital, then clearly , that's awful. Fault: Mary

Thanks to American Girl dolls (a wholesome brand) we can dive a little deeper into this particular grassy knoll  - let's get to work, people!  Was it:

doll legs (2).jpg

doll hospital.jpg

FLAPPER.jpg

...Or was it....

doll hospital.jpg

doll legs (2).jpg

lollipops 2.jpg

...both seem completely plausible to me! 

Edited by film noire
  • LOL 23
On 12/12/2020 at 10:46 AM, filmfan2480 said:

Lisa seems like a Narcissist with a capital N.

Yes, but hilariously so (for now). I laughed at her job-interview-like "confession" that she's so awesome, it's a curse. 

I think Jen needs real therapy from an actual therapist, and not just advice from her absentee husband/life coach. She explodes with anger, and it's never about the one thing it seems to be about. That's why Meredith's sleepover cancellation ended up becoming an issue of loyalty and the nature of their friendship. She's mad that Mary snarked on her rambling justification for her outbursts, and then it becomes about Mary's antiblackness.

Mary needs . . . something. I just don't know what. She does seem to be self-hating, and I really want to know more about the two-year period before she decided to marry her grusband. What turned the tide for her? If it was all about the money, then why did it take two years to decide?

• Love 2
On 12/10/2020 at 8:38 AM, Keywestclubkid said:

Marys Husgrandpa's Eyebrows ...YIKES .. who the hell is doing these peoples makeup and hair? they need to be FIRED ASAP.. you gonna spend all that money on clothes but walk out with that BAD BAD hair and makeup and letting your Grandpa/husband walk around with those eyebrows?

On 12/10/2020 at 9:36 AM, heatherchandler said:

I had been going with Grandpusband but I like Husgrandpa too!

I don't like Mary or Jen, they are both insecure and trying REALLY hard. 

But I dislike Meredith the most (right now) as she is trying the hardest to be "above it all" and just too good for all of the fighting.  Ok, whatever you are on a reality show, get over yourself.  What an asshole.

How about when Whitney straddled her brother?  

On 12/10/2020 at 9:56 AM, TexasGal said:

This is more interesting than the episode.  I humbly submit, Husbrandpa.

When Jen for real left the lunch, my first thought was "girl take the LV box!" and then Mary immediately asked Heather to give it back to her.  

I think the last scene I saw before I fell asleep was Heather with her girls.  By the time the loud car driving boyfriend arrived, was her whole house smoky from the bacon cooking or what?  I remember thinking her house looks weird and then I woke up hours later with the tv still on.

May I submit The GrandPoohbah like the Flintstones? Grand Father Spouse (instead Grand Master Flash), Mary is the The Grand Husband Flasher. 

I'll see myself, out...

• LOL 5
On 12/17/2020 at 2:31 AM, film noire said:

Thanks to American Girl dolls (a wholesome brand) we can dive a little deeper into this particular grassy knoll  - let's get to work, people!  Was it:

doll legs (2).jpg

doll hospital.jpg

FLAPPER.jpg

...Or was it....

doll hospital.jpg

doll legs (2).jpg

lollipops 2.jpg

...both seem completely plausible to me! 

Okay, now I'm done! The comments on this episode have had me in stitches, but now I'm crying actual tears from laughing so hard!!

I have to go take a break before I can continue!

Ill be back!

• Love 1