Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

saoirse

S03.E02: Writings on the Wall

Recommended Posts

Quote

Katherine and Theo learn to adapt to their new life after Eddie’s accident. Rome and Regina grow distant as Rome suppresses his anger over the failed adoption. Delilah struggles with having a date at the house while the kids are away. Maggie unexpectedly bonds with her new roommate as Gary navigates trying to stay friends with her while building his relationship with Darcy.

Airing Thursday, December 3, 2020.

Share this post


Link to post

Quote

Katherine and Theo learn to adapt to their new life after Eddie's accident; Rome and Regina grow distant as Rome suppresses his anger over the failed adoption; Maggie unexpectedly bonds with her new roommate.

Promo:

Original air date: 12/3/20

Sneak peeks:

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Good episode. It's amazing how much less annoying Maggie is when removed from Gary and the rest of the crew. Just hope the show doesn't do the expected and have her hook up with the Brit though. Gina and Rome's conflict seems a bit contrived, let's see where that goes.

Share this post


Link to post

I like Darcy a lot, and she seems good for Gary. I hope they don't just toss her aside for a Maggie reunion down the line.

Seems strange that Gary was surprised about Eddie not actually handling things well. But nice to see him step up and try and help. One consistent thing about Gary is being a good friend.

Anyone else think it was strange that they just let Theo answer the door by himself?

  • Love 15

Share this post


Link to post

People never communicate on TV, but Eddie could have reminded Katherine he always needs his wheelchair. I thought this was a good episode. Why is Delilah going off to France? She’s going to leave her baby for weeks? Are they getting rid of her character?

I liked the conversations with Rome and Regina and thought it seemed realistic. 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Anyone else think it was strange that they just let Theo answer the door by himself?

We think it’s strange because he acts like he’s seven.

The writers and cast want us to believe he’s eleven or something.

 

Shanice is not pretty enough to play Regina.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I liked Chris Geere on You're the Worst, so it's nice to see him playing a totally different character here. I enjoyed watching him and Maggie go through Sebastian's trunk of weirdness and trying to figure out what kind of person would have all that stuff. And I was totally on his side when Maggie tried to act shocked that he heard her conversation. You were on speakerphone in the same room with him. He even said hello to Gary and Darcy when you turned your phone to show him doing pull ups, so why are you surprised that his ears are perfectly capable of hearing?

I finally came around to really liking Darcy when Gary suggested that she could help Eddie professionally. She drew boundaries and refused to get sucked into this dysfunctional group in a way that made her feel uncomfortable. It made me want to high five her. And then OF COURSE she changed her mind later. I know she said it was to help Katherine, which I appreciate, but it's called giving someone a referral. You don't have to personally do it! I know this is just another way to integrate her into the group but it annoyed me.

A+ for using a Maroon 5 song after Gary compared Eddie to them!

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post

My takeaways from this episode:

Maggie is more likeable far away, and with someone who doesn't fall at her feet in awe. I hope that lasts.

Regina should totally divorce Rome's ass. 

Gary remains my favourite character. 

Theo is the most unlikable child on television. Boarding school anyone? 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I thought for sure creepy red pickup truck guy was going to take Theo and when Katherine went to the door, Theo would be gone.

No such luck. 

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

This was a much better episode than the last one, and I enjoy the new characters, Darcy and Jamie.  They add some needed none-zany-ness to the story.  I wonder at how uneven this show can be.  One episode being cut together so poorly and the next actually being worth watching. 

Can't figure out what is up with red truck guy.  Either he's feeling guilty for hitting Eddie and wants to come clean, or he knows who did hit Eddie and wants to help him get that guy, or he's sad he didn't finish the job.  Not really sure I care about the story.  

I did enjoy the "It's Friday" storyline though.  The three male leads can banter well. 

Done with Delilah, not sure why Eddie is still being punished, but Delilah is off scot free, still the "best mother in the world." Hopefully Darcy will get a crack at her.  😉 

And maybe we'll actually get to "see" Carter French next week, and not just hear him on the phone. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

I was annoyed with Maggie and Jamie opening someone else's property to snoop. I really don't care if it was a bonding experience for the two. Those aren't your things! Put it back! Though I do not hate the idea of Maggie starting her own podcast (as it seems she is doing). And she IS likeable in these scenes. I did enjoy her in season 1 and this is reminiscent of that version of her.

Poor Regina having to deal with Pissy Rome. He really needs to talk to his therapist about his anger on Regina because he is treating her like crap. I get it's realistic and all and I appreciate them having issues with this, but I worry about how the outcome will be. Rome has to apologize here and make it up to his wife for treating her like she wronged him.

Darcy is too good for this show. I appreciate her holding Eddie accountable for his cheating, longer than any of the others ever did. I'm not surprised she changed her mind at the end (it gets her more screentime so I can't complain THAT much). And, again, better than how Delilah's been punished... as in not at all. She gets to reminisce about her dead husband with her teenage daughter, who has conveniently forgotten that her mother is a big fat cheater. She's just so supportive of her mother's love life! Delilah has not suffered at all for her actions while the show keeps bringing up Eddie's infidelity. I'm fine with that part, but I'm still annoyed that we will never have Delilah face consequences. Three seasons in and I will never not be annoyed.

I appreciate the little details with Eddie's paralysis that David Giuntoli is adding to his performance. It really does elevate the storyline and it's not a bad one at all to be watching. I just hope it can last longer than I expect.

The ending was weird. So Alex's dad feels guilty, I guess. Or he went to confront Eddie and saw Theo and felt guilty? Either way, fess up to your crime of intentionally hitting and running!

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

What consequences should Delilah face? Her husband is dead and Eddie is with his wife. Is she supposed to walk around with a scarlet letter on her chest? I can think she can still talk about her dead husband with her daughter. People make mistakes but I don’t agree with the idea that they must suffer for all time. 

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

This thing with the dad is so weird, what is this guys deal? Does he feel remorse for hitting Eddie and wants to apologize, or does he want to finish what he started? Or is he just a stalker who is really bad at staying hidden? Its such a weird plot, I really want this whole thing with Eddie's guilt over his friends death to be over and done with, and having her creepy dad around keeps it going while making it even more needlessly melodramatic. 

As melodramatic as things are with Eddie being paralyzed (because this show doesn't have enough going on) I think that David Giuntoli is doing a really good job with it, and Katherine and Eddie trying to deal with this is actually been pretty decent. They really do need more outside help, do more research, and talk to more people about what to do to help Eddie navigate things. Now if they could just write Theo like an actual child his age and not some parents fantasy of a perfect little kid, that would be great. 

Yeah Gary, I don't really need a degree in psychology to know that a person who recently lost the use of their legs, possibly forever, probably isn't in the best place ever. I did like the scene with the three guys, the actors have good chemistry with each other, especially when they actually are allowed to talk like normal people. 

Its probably time for Regina to unfriend Eve on Facebook, or vice versa. I am still wondering if Regina and Rome will ever confront Eve or if she will just disappear now like every character outside the main cast does when they're arc is over. As much as I have disliked this adoption story, I do think the fallout has been well acted and the fight between Rome and Regina at the end seemed really real and complicated. I am less thrilled about Rome's movie, it just isn't super interesting yet and I am always pretty wary of "character uses their real life that we have seen already as basis for in universe show/movie/book" as they can get really self indulgent. 

I loved Chris Geere on You're the Worst, so its fun to see him here playing a really different character, he even makes Maggie less annoying! I guess all Maggie had to do was get distance from the gang to be less of a pain in the ass for an amount of time. 

Darcy seems to be way too good for this show, she just makes too much sense. As much as I don't want her pulled into the vortex of co-dependence that is this friend group, but I think that she will be good for Eddie and his treatment, he responds well to real talk. I am so not looking for her inevitably getting dumped by Gary for Maggie. She and Gary seem really good together and she really pulls Gary back from his more over the top and self centered tendencies, and it seems like he adds some color to her life. 

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Anyone else think it was strange that they just let Theo answer the door by himself?

Yes. I was not a particularly overprotective parent - but my kids didn't answer the door after dark - especially if we couldn't see the door from where we were.

1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

Can't figure out what is up with red truck guy.  Either he's feeling guilty for hitting Eddie and wants to come clean, or he knows who did hit Eddie and wants to help him get that guy, or he's sad he didn't finish the job.  Not really sure I care about the story. 

Well, given the outcome of a number of season long mystery plots, I'm guessing whatever happens will fall flat. So I'm not too invested either.

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I was annoyed with Maggie and Jamie opening someone else's property to snoop. I really don't care if it was a bonding experience for the two. Those aren't your things! Put it back! Though I do not hate the idea of Maggie starting her own podcast (as it seems she is doing). And she IS likeable in these scenes. I did enjoy her in season 1 and this is reminiscent of that version of her.

Well, it's been months and the guy hasn't tried to retrieve it or even contact Jamie about it - so it's basically salvage. I don't have an issue with it.

I agree that Maggie would do a great podcast - she's seems more of a legitimate therapist when she's talking there. I do like her a lot better in London. She really has good chemistry with Jamie.

7 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Its probably time for Regina to unfriend Eve on Facebook, or vice versa.

I forget the outcome of her stalker/abusive baby father. But I thought it strange she was on Facebook given that (even if, as I vaguely recall, he signed away his rights)

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

What consequences should Delilah face? Her husband is dead and Eddie is with his wife. Is she supposed to walk around with a scarlet letter on her chest? I can think she can still talk about her dead husband with her daughter. People make mistakes but I don’t agree with the idea that they must suffer for all time. 

Well, given how Katherine was the outcast for so long at the beginning of the show, and everyone was so very protective of Delilah, despite her transgressions, I think Delilah could have suffered the loss of the friend group for a bit longer than she did.  No one, NO ONE, not even Gary, really, held her accountable for the affair, or the love child.  

I get the entire "judge not" rule, but they were insufferable to Katherine for a very very long time. In my mind, it's going to take a lot for Delilah to make up for that. 

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I was annoyed with Maggie and Jamie opening someone else's property to snoop. I really don't care if it was a bonding experience for the two. Those aren't your things! Put it back! 

 

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, it's been months and the guy hasn't tried to retrieve it or even contact Jamie about it - so it's basically salvage. I don't have an issue with it.

I would have been annoyed if I were Sebastian Fawkes. Did Maggie tell us why he decided he could not move in with Jamie? If he had a family emergency, it would be easy to forget about that trunk.

Sigh. I am not sure why I am still watching this. I love the Regina actress. She’s also absolutely stunning. I love the Rome actor. His comedic timing is very good.

I agree with many of you who compare this to a soap opera. But this season it reminds me of an After-School Special (I’m old). The three guys playing basketball was a stronger scene, but it still made me think of the standard “If you’re sad, it’s okay to let your friends help you” message.

Gary is less annoying with Darcy, but he’s still very, very annoying.

Maggie is less annoying with Jamie, but she’s still very, very, very annoying.

I actually think it is only because the Darcy and Jamie actors are so talented and charismatic.

Theo gleefully holding his hands up in front of Eddie’s face because he couldn’t trust him to keep his eyes closed.  These writers/directors have never spent any time observing children. When will we see Maggie introduce Jamie to Theo, where he will delight Theo with a slight-of-hand “Got your nose!”

At least they didn’t try to tie the dining room table/ping pong table back to some tortured confession by Eddie that his favorite uncle never had a chance to buy him a ping pong table because he died suddenly from a heart attack. Tortured confession to Maggie, that is.

 

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

Well, given how Katherine was the outcast for so long at the beginning of the show, and everyone was so very protective of Delilah, despite her transgressions, I think Delilah could have suffered the loss of the friend group for a bit longer than she did.  No one, NO ONE, not even Gary, really, held her accountable for the affair, or the love child.  

I get the entire "judge not" rule, but they were insufferable to Katherine for a very very long time. In my mind, it's going to take a lot for Delilah to make up for that. 

they didn't like Katherine because she was a different person then, who worked all the time and ignored her husband and child. And maybe they thought Delilah suffered enough with her husband keeping relationships, apartments and money completely secret from her as well as his depression, then her losing the husband and becoming a single mother. I'm no advocate of cheating (married 25 years and completely faithful), but women are always judged way more harshly then men and it was clear that Jon was living a secret life just like Delilah was and maybe her friends are rallying around for the sake of the kids. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

What does not make sense to me is Delilah telling Sophie she could not think about bringing her date to the place she shared with John.  Really?  You cheated on him with one of his good friends in the bed you shared,  but that was okay.  Also, Delilah will just leave her children including Charlie the baby with Gary?  Certainly Katherine and Eddie are in no position to take the kid while Delilah is off in France with her dad.  They do nothing with the Delilah character that has made her endearing, at least not to me.  Love Darcy and Gary together, I hope Maggie finds happiness with Jamie and leaves Gary alone.  Jamie and Maggie look like brother and sister.  BTW, where is Darcy’s son?  That was the initial connection, he was Theo’s friend.  No where in sight now, not even mentioned.  Strange!    I still think Eve will have some sort of trouble or be in an abusive situation with her boyfriend and Rome and Regina will end up with the baby after all.  Also, I think Rome is going to sleep with that actress who is playing Regina.  

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

they didn't like Katherine because she was a different person then, who worked all the time and ignored her husband and child. And maybe they thought Delilah suffered enough with her husband keeping relationships, apartments and money completely secret from her as well as his depression, then her losing the husband and becoming a single mother. I'm no advocate of cheating (married 25 years and completely faithful), but women are always judged way more harshly then men and it was clear that Jon was living a secret life just like Delilah was and maybe her friends are rallying around for the sake of the kids. 

I always felt like the group judged Katherine completely too harshly. We weren't really shown why they were all against Katherine. I think it had something to do with her not trusting Gary as much, and having to feel like she was the responsible one, but I, for one, found the group forgiving Delilah a little to easily, and Eddie is still carrying the load. 

Katherine also seemed to have a close relationship with Jon, but was excluded from the group for much of their group grieving. 

Good thing Charlie's old enough for Delilah to go to France for a few weeks. I mean, it's nice she wants to take her father back to France, but seems rather frivilous too. I'm sure Eddie and Katherine can handle Charlie for several weeks without her though. 

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, LucyEth said:

What does not make sense to me is Delilah telling Sophie she could not think about bringing her date to the place she shared with John.  Really?  You cheated on him with one of his good friends in the bed you shared,  but that was okay.  Also, Delilah will just leave her children including Charlie the baby with Gary?  Certainly Katherine and Eddie are in no position to take the kid while Delilah is off in France with her dad.  They do nothing with the Delilah character that has made her endearing, at least not to me.  Love Darcy and Gary together, I hope Maggie finds happiness with Jamie and leaves Gary alone.  Jamie and Maggie look like brother and sister.  BTW, where is Darcy’s son?  That was the initial connection, he was Theo’s friend.  No where in sight now, not even mentioned.  Strange!    I still think Eve will have some sort of trouble or be in an abusive situation with her boyfriend and Rome and Regina will end up with the baby after all.  Also, I think Rome is going to sleep with that actress who is playing Regina.  

I was trying to figure out if Delilah was really planning to go to France, or if she was just talking about it with her dad to cheer him up. I guess she gave too many details for it to be made up, but what a strange idea. He seems to have dementia or Alzheimer's or something, and hadn't even recognized her earlier. Taking someone in that condition to Europe sounds like a bad plan, even if you didn't have a baby to deal with at home. 

I think last episode they mentioned Darcy's son being with his dad.

5 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I always felt like the group judged Katherine completely too harshly. We weren't really shown why they were all against Katherine. I think it had something to do with her not trusting Gary as much, and having to feel like she was the responsible one, but I, for one, found the group forgiving Delilah a little to easily, and Eddie is still carrying the load. 

Katherine also seemed to have a close relationship with Jon, but was excluded from the group for much of their group grieving. 

I did appreciate that the actress giving Rome notes on his script commented on the line that Katherine had in the pilot. The one about not knowing the funeral was going to be an all day thing. Most people didn't like Katherine early on after that line.

But the fact that Rome put that in his script suggests he is like all writers portrayed on TV shows and not remotely creative. Is the whole thing just his exact life story with dialogue stolen from his friends?

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

I spent a large portion of the episode wondering why Gary had taken a ping pong table to Katherine’s law office. At least I think that’s what carter said on the phone to Katherine, that Gary needed to come pick it up. Why was it there in the first place? lol 

It was heart wrenching when Eddie was left alone and his wheel chair was across the room. I really felt for him there and DG did a good job with that scene.

I didn’t like Maggie’s roommate last week but he’s growing on me...

Hoping they move along the storyline with the guy who hit Eddie next week!  

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, srpturtle80 said:

I spent a large portion of the episode wondering why Gary had taken a ping pong table to Katherine’s law office. At least I think that’s what carter said on the phone to Katherine, that Gary needed to come pick it up. Why was it there in the first place?

Same! I can't imagine Katherine's law firm is the kind that has an annual ping pong tournament (unlike an office where someone I know worked!). I thought they were going to explain it eventually but I guess it was just all a set up for Katherine and Theo playing ping pong.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Same! I can't imagine Katherine's law firm is the kind that has an annual ping pong tournament (unlike an office where someone I know worked!). I thought they were going to explain it eventually but I guess it was just all a set up for Katherine and Theo playing ping pong.

At the end of the last season, Katherine quit her law firm, and has opened an office above the restaurant. I guess Gary was using those rooms for storage for awhile. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

20 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Theo is the most unlikable child on television

He is. The actor is bad too. Like a little monotone robot faking emotions with bad platitudes.

 

18 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Darcy seems to be way too good for this show, she just makes too much sense.

I feel the same. It can't be a good sign when your favorite character is the recurring one

 

Delilah is all sentimental about Jon. NOW? She had an affair when he was alive, was planning on talking to him about a separation/divorce, it's been a long time since he died, and NOW she has a problem dating someone else because that was Jon's bed? So boring.

Maggie and roommate act like children. Boring too. Such a waste of airtime. 

Eddie's recovery doesn't make sense. He's been home what, a month? If he were to have physical therapy, it should have started long ago.  And no, Theo, your dad's chair is not a toy. Imagine one month after you come back home your annoying child is still playing "race" with the one thing that makes it possible for you to move around.

 

  • Love 10

Share this post


Link to post

So, I'm calling this post "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" (Cue the music.) While I did like this episode, I still had some issues with it.

The Good:

1. David Giuntoli is acting the hell out of this plot point, and I'm interested in seeing Eddie's journey through navigating this life-altering, devastating event. Of course, this is the kind of plot line that is prime for an actor. His performance is keeping me invested.

2. I liked Maggie in this episode. I like her with Jamie. And I got a kick out of them bonding going through the former roommate's stuff. Maybe that's just me, but I found it relatable. Now, hopefully, they will just keep Maggie and Jamie as friends, but I highly doubt that will happen. It will develop into something more.

3. Liked the basketball game. The actors do really have good chemistry together, as others have also pointed out.

The Bad:

1. Yeah, if I never hear about Dead!Alex again I'll be just fine. Eddie has enough to deal with right now, but this storyline must be on-going. As opposed to other storylines that were dropped. My prediction: Dead!Alex's father will attempt to drown Eddie (probably not in next week's episode) so he can experience what she felt.

2. Likewise, I'm tired of the Regina/Rome baby drama. If I had to choose sides, I'm choosing Regina's. A baby isn't a goldfish that you can replace, no big deal. She's grieving the loss of a child, even if it wasn't hers for very long. While I thought their discussion at the end was very realistic, I'm ready for them to either move on or break apart. Breaking up would be realistic. Many marriages don't survive the loss of a child.

3. I'm not looking forward to the movie plot. Can you imagine watching this show crammed into a 2-hour format?

4. I'm tired of Delilah's boy toy. He wasn't in this episode, obviously, but I'm tired of the melodrama with it. I actually was OK with her to start to remember Jon again. And I was pleasantly surprised that he didn't pop up again to give her his blessing. But, yeah, tired of it.

5. I wasn't feeling Sophie's storyline. Nothing really wrong with it. Just wasn't feeling it.

The Ugly:

1. Katharine, you've had a month where your son was racing around in your husband's wheelchair. A wheelchair that he needs, and may actually save his life at some point. I get it that you were running around like a chicken with its head cut off that morning, but you've had a month being at home, witnessing it (I'm getting the impression that this isn't the first time this has happened). Heck, your son took out a couple carts at the hospital bringing the wheelchair to your husband. Learn to discipline your son!!!!! A wheelchair is not a toy, and it's not a racecar. If Eddie can't put his foot down (metaphorically speaking), you do it!

2. Gary, I really like you. I do. But, why wouldn't you think that maybe someone who's whole life has been drastically altered, who has gone from being able-bodied and athletic to someone who can't even go to the bathroom without either help from someone or from his wheelchair to take him to the bathroom might be having a problem adapting to this whole new life? It's been two months since the accident. No matter the brave face that Eddie puts on, you would just kind of think that he probably isn't the happiest with this new arrangement right now.

The Huh?????

1. Was I the only one baffled at the timeline in this episode? This day had 36 hours in it, didn't it? Probably got that impression because apparently Oxford and Boston are in the same time zone.

2. Apparently Sophie's Harvard friend is one of her best friends? Has she been seen before? Who is she?

3. I love Darcy. I do. And I get where she's coming from--even if she's not as busy as she says she is with her physical therapy patients (And I got the feeling that she said that to stop Gary's questions,) I get that she wouldn't want to take on Eddie for personal reasons. If I had a friend whose husband cheated on her and then had a baby with his mistress, yep, I wouldn't want to do anything for him either. But, my question is--is she really that close to Katharine? She said that she was the only one who was there for Katharine during that time (absolutely more than the central group), but I don't remember seeing her or hearing about her. Katharine went to her mother's and didn't want to come out. Afterwards, I don't remember her mentioning Darcy until Gary met her. Plus, going back to the last episode, Darcy left the hospital. Even if she doesn't like Eddie (and I get that), wouldn't you stay to support your friend who's grieving?

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

This thing with the dad is so weird, what is this guys deal? Does he feel remorse for hitting Eddie and wants to apologize, or does he want to finish what he started? Or is he just a stalker who is really bad at staying hidden? Its such a weird plot, I really want this whole thing with Eddie's guilt over his friends death to be over and done with, and having her creepy dad around keeps it going while making it even more needlessly melodramatic.

I'm torn between two plots - One that he went after Eddie in a fit of anger after the confrontation at the lake and he's calmed down now and feels guilty about it but doesn't know how to make it right or confess what he did.  Two that his anger hasn't gone away at all and he's trying to get close enough to Eddie to finish what he started when he hit him with the truck.    Those are sort of two opposite ends of the rope and each could be likely but if either are where they're going with this I'm honestly not sure which story I want to see, the guilty but can't confess is, as you said, needlessly melodramatic but then again the "I'm going to finish him off if I can get close enough to him" idea seems a little too soap opera.   

Katherine and Eddie just need to talk.  What happened when they left the house was terrible for him but it's mostly just planning and the "new normal", it wouldn't hurt to say hey we need a checklist and routine for each day to make sure things are in order and where they need to be.  The home health aide can help with that but please do not let this person be connected to the characters in any way or some sort of terrible borderline abusive person.  Could we get someone like Howie from Zoe's Extraordinary Playlist for the role?  For that matter could we actually get Zak Orth to do a little cross over and reprise his role even if it is a different network?

I don't hate Delilah but I guess I don't care much about her either since the idea of her possibly being off the show while she's in Paris, if she goes, doesn't seem to bother me at all.  On the other hand was anyone at all actually fooled into thinking she was making that offer to the boyfriend not her Dad?  One of the worst fake outs ever.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I don't get this fresh hate from the family of the dead girl. It was 20 years ago. That's a long time to fester if you've got vengeance in your heart. Even if Eddie dredged it up, it's excessive. It's not like he changed his name and fled the country. Presumably they knew where he was all these years. Weird. 

  • Love 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't get this fresh hate from the family of the dead girl. It was 20 years ago. That's a long time to fester if you've got vengeance in your heart. Even if Eddie dredged it up, it's excessive. It's not like he changed his name and fled the country. Presumably they knew where he was all these years. Weird. 

Not to mention, no one really knows what happened. Even in the moments of flashbacks, it showed Eddie trying to help her, and after the entire talk to Eddie from Alex's sister that the parents were in such poor health. Magically, the dad is traveling hours by a beat up truck, stalking Eddie, and now going to try and drown him. It doesn't fit with a person in "bad health" unless he is having dementia or emotional depression. I mean it's true, parents truly never get over the death of a child no matter if it was a still born or died barely out of their teens. But this? I mean even the sister brought all this crap up really out of nowhere. Because you know, she could. She didn't see Alex's sister or parents out of the blue. Hell, Eddie going to the cabin last season, apparently no one has visited the place in a while, it's just kept in upkeep situation. Katherine even pointed out they hadn't been there since Theo was a baby. 

  Everything just seems out of the blue. It would have been one thing if the stress on Eddie from the affair and things with Charlie would have started making him revisit his life. THEN bring in the old nightmares of Alex dying, then it would have made more sense for the story. instead it was: "Well, everyone is over the death of Jon and the Love Child, we need a super crazy mystery that will make less sense than plots on Big Sky or Lost." 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'd say Katherine failed the test, leaving him alone and not making sure he, y'know, could move around the house and had his phone. I don't care how rushed she was. Maybe instead of letting Theo waste time playing racetrack instead of getting ready for school that wouldn't have happened (if for no other reason than the fact that Eddie wouldn't have gotten out of the chair in the first place).

Why are they letting Theo treat his wheelchair like it's a toy, anyway?

And how was he released from the hospital without any follow-up plan for PT/OT and whatever else he'd need to learn to function in his new reality? He really should have a therapist who is just a professional hired person and not someone who is entwined in his friend group. I'm sure Darcy knows plenty of qualified people she can refer him to. (Since his own doctor apparently didn't bother to.)

Maggie's been in Oxford for a month and the guy who dropped out of the program didn't arrange to get his trunk back as soon as it arrived there?

I didn't think I'd like the roommate after the way he was introduced (not familiar with the actor, except for Arvin on Modern Family, which I only realized was him when I just now looked at his IMDB page), but so far he seems to be a decent guy with a fun sense of humor.

When Sophie said Jon graduated college in '93 it made me feel suddenly old...that's the year I graduated high school.

"You threw away all the baby stuff without talking to me." Did he even ask what happened to it before assuming she just tossed it in the dumpster?

Does Theo actually still believe K was at the Grand Canyon?

The ping pong at the end made me a little nostalgic. When I was a kid we had a big rectangular kitchen table and a Nerf ping pong set. (But we used real ping pong balls because the foam balls didn't really bounce right.) My uncle had a real table (which he made when his kids were young and is now in my cousin's garage) and we have a tournament every Christmas. I never make it past the first round, but it's fun. I guess no tournament this year. 😞 

On 12/4/2020 at 1:58 PM, cardigirl said:

I always felt like the group judged Katherine completely too harshly. We weren't really shown why they were all against Katherine. I think it had something to do with her not trusting Gary as much, and having to feel like she was the responsible one, but I, for one, found the group forgiving Delilah a little to easily, and Eddie is still carrying the load. 

I think (going by comments I vaguely remember from the first season) that Katharine was intended to be a rather different character (and a different actress), and was revamped after the pilot into someone a lot more sympathetic. But it left them with a bit of a disconnect.

11 hours ago, circumvent said:

Eddie's recovery doesn't make sense. He's been home what, a month? If he were to have physical therapy, it should have started long ago.  And no, Theo, your dad's chair is not a toy. Imagine one month after you come back home your annoying child is still playing "race" with the one thing that makes it possible for you to move around.

Wasn't he doing it in the hospital hallway (where he crashed into a cart and made a mess), too? Surprised a nurse didn't tell him to knock it off.

9 hours ago, historylover820 said:

1. Was I the only one baffled at the timeline in this episode? This day had 36 hours in it, didn't it? Probably got that impression because apparently Oxford and Boston are in the same time zone.

These are people who have time to drive to their friend's house to give (and watch them open) a baby gift on a weekday morning before work/school. Their clocks clearly do not run the same as ours.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

On 12/4/2020 at 12:54 PM, LucyEth said:

I still think Eve will have some sort of trouble or be in an abusive situation with her boyfriend and Rome and Regina will end up with the baby after all.  Also, I think Rome is going to sleep with that actress who is playing Regina.  

She was a pill and he seemed to hate her. Also, boy oh boy is Christina Moses the prettier "Regina!"

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/3/2020 at 8:27 PM, Winston Wolfe said:

Good episode. It's amazing how much less annoying Maggie is when removed from Gary and the rest of the crew. Just hope the show doesn't do the expected and have her hook up with the Brit though.

I was finding her slightly less obnoxious, but then she dumped her wet teabag in the dustbin in the lounge, rather than in the kitchen.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:37 PM, KaveDweller said:

Anyone else think it was strange that they just let Theo answer the door by himself?

Not me.  Why is it strange?

 

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'd say Katherine failed the test, leaving him alone and not making sure he, y'know, could move around the house and had his phone. I don't care how rushed she was. Maybe instead of letting Theo waste time playing racetrack instead of getting ready for school that wouldn't have happened (if for no other reason than the fact that Eddie wouldn't have gotten out of the chair in the first place).

Why are they letting Theo treat his wheelchair like it's a toy, anyway?

And how was he released from the hospital without any follow-up plan for PT/OT and whatever else he'd need to learn to function in his new reality? He really should have a therapist who is just a professional hired person and not someone who is entwined in his friend group. I'm sure Darcy knows plenty of qualified people she can refer him to. (Since his own doctor apparently didn't bother to.)

I was so mad about this whole situation.  This was her first day back to work and she screwed it up that royally?  How many months have passed?  They had time to get this down, but no, the worst possible scenario HAD to happen.  Not only was he miles away from his chair, his phone was also across the room.  And they didn’t have ANYONE set up to check on him on the hour even?  I mean, they all drop everything all the time on a daily basis, they couldn’t come up with a transition plan to ease Katherine back into being gone at work all day and Eddie home alone all day?  Of course day one goes to hell.
 

I also didn’t understand the whole Theo in a suit thing.  Probably because I didn’t care what he was up to, it’s always something so extra.  

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

I also didn’t understand the whole Theo in a suit thing.  Probably because I didn’t care what he was up to, it’s always something so extra.  

I didn't catch why he needed a suit. I thought he was just going to Katherine's office after school so Eddie wouldn't have to worry about taking care of him after school...er, so Eddie would be stuck in his chair that much longer because plot points, I mean (because the length of a school day isn't long enough, it has to be a full 8+hours). Why does a ten-year-old need a suit to visit mom at work? Except that he's Theo who is so very extra.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

These are people who have time to drive to their friend's house to give (and watch them open) a baby gift on a weekday morning before work/school. Their clocks clearly do not run the same as ours.

I'll go along with that. 😄

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Why does a ten-year-old need a suit to visit mom at work? Except that he's Theo who is so very extra.

Because they had to pretend he was mommy's helper while her assistant was on vacation. You know, Theo is a very sensitive kid and telling him to "come to work with me because daddy cannot really take care of you until mommy comes back" could scar him for life. Not to mention that an 11 year old should be able to take care of himself fine. I was cooking small meals at 11, taking care of my younger brother, changing his diapers and making sure my other brother didn't get into trouble. I wonder if Theo can even take a shower by himself or wipe his own butt.

  • Love 6
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

8 minutes ago, circumvent said:

Because they had to pretend he was mommy's helper while her assistant was on vacation. You know, Theo is a very sensitive kid and telling him to "come to work with me because daddy cannot really take care of you until mommy comes back" could scar him for life. Not to mention that an 11 year old should be able to take care of himself fine. I was cooking small meals at 11, taking care of my younger brother, changing his diapers and making sure my other brother didn't get into trouble. I wonder if Theo can even take a shower by himself or wipe his own butt.

Ugh. When I went to work with my mom I'd sit at an empty desk near hers and do homework or read a book or draw on the colored copy paper. At some point we'd usually go visit my dad (who worked on another floor) and I'd be allowed to pick whatever I wanted in the building's massive cafeteria for lunch. 

I was 11 when she went back to work full time (before that she worked part time jobs that she could work around our school schedule so she'd be home in the afternoon). My brother is 2 years older and was usually home, but I guess that was when they decided I was old enough to be home alone if necessary. 

Theo is maybe not mature enough to stay home alone for several hours (given how young he acts), but he's certainly old enough to be home with dad supervising (and help out around the house). It's not like he's a troublemaker who needs a parent who can chase him around.

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

Theo is the result of multiple writers who apparently have spent no time around actual children. One minute he is immaturely racing the wheelchair around the house like a 5 year old and the next he’s spouting wisdom about juggling torches that no 11 year old would ever say. Soon the actor will start puberty and then the lines the writers are having him say will seem even more absurd. 

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post

I guess I also don’t understand why Katherine had to go the office?  I thought she started her own practice?  She should be able to conduct most of her business from home.  Are we doing COVID on AMLT or no?  I haven’t seen any masks so I guess no. Otherwise it makes even less sense that she would need to go into the office.   Other than to leave her paralyzed husband and not even check on him ONE SINGLE time.  Not even a check in call?  And if no answer wouldn’t you be at least a tiny bit worried?  

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

I guess I also don’t understand why Katherine had to go the office?  I thought she started her own practice?  She should be able to conduct most of her business from home.  Are we doing COVID on AMLT or no?  I haven’t seen any masks so I guess no. Otherwise it makes even less sense that she would need to go into the office.   Other than to leave her paralyzed husband and not even check on him ONE SINGLE time.  Not even a check in call?  And if no answer wouldn’t you be at least a tiny bit worried?  

She was sooo busy and had a big important meeting or whatever...but had time to have a philosophical conversation with her simultaneously-overly-wise-and-immature child and play ping pong before going home; but it didn't occur to her to call and check on her paralyzed husband fending for himself for the first time?

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

She was sooo busy and had a big important meeting or whatever...but had time to have a philosophical conversation with her simultaneously-overly-wise-and-immature child and play ping pong before going home; but it didn't occur to her to call and check on her paralyzed husband fending for himself for the first time?

I could be wrong, but I think I do remember when Eddie was able to finally answer his phone, he "explained" that he dozed off and missed her calls. Of course, if I couldn't get a hold of my recently paralyzed husband, I'd be calling the police, paramedics, fire department, or friends (at the very least) and tell them to please check up on him. He's not answering his phone and I'd want to know why!

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, historylover820 said:

I could be wrong, but I think I do remember when Eddie was able to finally answer his phone, he "explained" that he dozed off and missed her calls. Of course, if I couldn't get a hold of my recently paralyzed husband, I'd be calling the police, paramedics, fire department, or friends (at the very least) and tell them to please check up on him. He's not answering his phone and I'd want to know why!

No, you're right, I forgot about that line. Which makes it even worse, because she didn't think, "he's not anwering the phone, I better go home, or at least call one of my friends (who can drop everything on a moment's notice, of course) to go check on him. (Does Gary even actually have a job?) No, let's play ping pong first.

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

No, you're right, I forgot about that line. Which makes it even worse, because she didn't think, "he's not anwering the phone, I better go home, or at least call one of my friends (who can drop everything on a moment's notice, of course) to go check on him. (Does Gary even actually have a job?) No, let's play ping pong first.

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get.  Why don’t they have cameras set up in the home if Eddie is going to be left alone all day long?  Katherine could have full surveillance of him all day long for any emergencies, since she can’t even bother to take a lunch and run home to check on her paralyzed husband.  

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

It’s late February in AMLT and Covid does exist in their universe. This trip to Paris isn’t going to happen 😕

 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/4/2020 at 3:55 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I liked Chris Geere on You're the Worst, so it's nice to see him playing a totally different character here. I enjoyed watching him and Maggie go through Sebastian's trunk of weirdness and trying to figure out what kind of person would have all that stuff. And I was totally on his side when Maggie tried to act shocked that he heard her conversation. You were on speakerphone in the same room with him. He even said hello to Gary and Darcy when you turned your phone to show him doing pull ups, so why are you surprised that his ears are perfectly capable of hearing?

I finally came around to really liking Darcy when Gary suggested that she could help Eddie professionally. She drew boundaries and refused to get sucked into this dysfunctional group in a way that made her feel uncomfortable. It made me want to high five her. And then OF COURSE she changed her mind later. I know she said it was to help Katherine, which I appreciate, but it's called giving someone a referral. You don't have to personally do it! I know this is just another way to integrate her into the group but it annoyed me.

A+ for using a Maroon 5 song after Gary compared Eddie to them!

That's funny you say that, because I said to myself "What year do the music people for this show think it is?"  I asked the same question when Sophie smashed Eddy's guitars a season or two ago, to the soundtrack of Goo Goo Dolls "Iris".  

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/6/2020 at 8:40 AM, Brookside said:

Not me.  Why is it strange?

Because he's a little kid and it could have been a creepy person trying to do them harm. And in fact, it was someone who ran Eddie over, the guy just backed off before he could do anything else to Theo.

On 12/6/2020 at 3:03 PM, ams1001 said:

No, you're right, I forgot about that line. Which makes it even worse, because she didn't think, "he's not anwering the phone, I better go home, or at least call one of my friends (who can drop everything on a moment's notice, of course) to go check on him. (Does Gary even actually have a job?) No, let's play ping pong first.

Gary got fired last season. So I am not sure why they didn't have him stop by to check on Eddie, they had no trouble asking him to pick up Theo.

On 12/6/2020 at 4:27 PM, Aileen said:

It’s late February in AMLT and Covid does exist in their universe. This trip to Paris isn’t going to happen 😕

 

Covid does exist though, because they showed a clip of Fauci talking about it last episode. It was a TV in the hospital. But clearly it doesn't exist like it does in real life. I am not sure why they bothered to put that clip in. I am perfectly happy for TV shows to ignore it in order to give us decent entertainment.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, KaveDweller said:

Covid does exist though, because they showed a clip of Fauci talking about it last episode. It was a TV in the hospital. But clearly it doesn't exist like it does in real life. I am not sure why they bothered to put that clip in. I am perfectly happy for TV shows to ignore it in order to give us decent entertainment.

I'm the same way. That doesn't bother me. Why be reminded of the state of the real world? This is a way to escape reality.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Gary got fired last season. So I am not sure why they didn't have him stop by to check on Eddie, they had no trouble asking him to pick up Theo.

I know; I just couldn't remember if he had gotten another job of some kind. What is he doing? Or is he just living off whatever savings he might have? (Did he get money from Jon's mystery insurance policy? I guess we're over the mystery of it all.)

5 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

I'm the same way. That doesn't bother me. Why be reminded of the state of the real world? This is a way to escape reality.

Me, too. The shows I watch that are ignoring so far are all sitcoms, but it'd be nice to have a drama without it (it's enough real drama all on its own).

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/4/2020 at 10:09 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I was annoyed with Maggie and Jamie opening someone else's property to snoop. I really don't care if it was a bonding experience for the two. Those aren't your things!

Jamie said that Maggie had been there a month.  If the guy who owned the trunk had not been back to get the trunk in the past month, it's now their possession to do with as they please.  

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/7/2020 at 6:54 PM, KaveDweller said:

Because he's a little kid and it could have been a creepy person trying to do them harm. And in fact, it was someone who ran Eddie over, the guy just backed off before he could do anything else to Theo.

Gary got fired last season. So I am not sure why they didn't have him stop by to check on Eddie, they had no trouble asking him to pick up Theo.

Covid does exist though, because they showed a clip of Fauci talking about it last episode. It was a TV in the hospital. But clearly it doesn't exist like it does in real life. I am not sure why they bothered to put that clip in. I am perfectly happy for TV shows to ignore it in order to give us decent entertainment.

That’s what I said. It does exist, however the timeline is only late Feb at this time. The premiere was late Jan and a month has past. The AMLT universe isn’t in mid-March with shut downs yet.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size