Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E01: Like No Other

Bort
Message added by Bort

If you know something from the media and it hasn't happened yet, IT IS A SPOILER. Do not discuss it in this topic.

• Start Topic

Some of the best ever rookie candidates enter Training Camp in the DCC Bubble; they have a few days to become acclimated and impress Kelli and Judy.

Airdate: 24 November 2020

If you know something from the media and it hasn't happened yet, IT IS A SPOILER. Do not discuss it in this topic.

Any events that play out in the episode are no longer spoilers and fair game to discuss.

5 minutes ago, Erinbridget said:

okay I love Dani and Jada!

Ummm, hell yes.

Jada is an instant favorite for me.  She seemed poised, genuine, and very natural in front of the camera.  I also love her look.

Loved Armani too.

Marissa killed it dancing.

The intros this episode are so much better than in seasons past.

• Love 13

The whole vibe of the show feels so strange and off, but.. obviously.

My takeaways:

Love Jada and Dani already, Jada especially seems like the whole package - classy, genuine woman and incredible dancer to boot!

Alora-Rose is on my nerves already, she feels so disingenuous/putting on an act.

Marissa's dancing was decent (okay, fine - better than decent) but she seriously looks prepubescent. Yikes.

• Love 6

Marissa is so powerful and dances like a vet.  She was definitely my standout. Wow! So many beautiful, intelligent women. I really like the TC candidates coming in knowing the routines. Really shows the candidates interpretation and ability. What a game changer💃😀

• Love 5

Probably unpopular opinion but for me, Marissa looked borderline spastic. Almost too much power.  I'll have to see more. And Claire W. looked powerful but clunky.  I wish production could have come up with something to neutralize that distracting carpet.

• Love 8

If they're all tested and in a "sealed" bubble whats the point of the masks and 6 foot distancing?

Actually, whats the point of this season at all, we all know there are no cheerleaders.

Edited by Megan
  • Love 11
21 minutes ago, Megan said:

If they're all tested and in a "sealed" bubble wants the point of the masks and 6 foot distancing?

Actually, whats the point of this season at all, we all know there are no cheerleaders.

The DCC have cheered at every Cowboys home game.  They're on the end zone decks instead of on the sidelines, but they're there.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Megan said:

If they're all tested and in a "sealed" bubble wants the point of the masks and 6 foot distancing?

I went to the first home game they are there on the touchdown decks 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, afineskyline said:

The whole vibe of the show feels so strange and off, but.. obviously.

My takeaways:

Love Jada and Dani already, Jada especially seems like the whole package - classy, genuine woman and incredible dancer to boot!

Alora-Rose is on my nerves already, she feels so disingenuous/putting on an act.

Marissa's dancing was decent (okay, fine - better than decent) but she seriously looks prepubescent. Yikes.

Alora-rose seems really fake to me too.  Also, Sydney comes across as really fake too. I wonder if part of it is overcompensating because they're expected to always seem excited about things that aren't that exciting?

I also get mean-girl vibes from Tori. Something about the way she speaks seems really fake. Also, I know it was a joke, but when she laughed at Erin Andrews' saying she wouldn't fit in the uniform, I was really put off.

Speaking of Marissa, she's pretty when she'd not obnoxiously over-smiling (I feel the same way about VK, but I digress). But I have no idea how Kelly thinks she looks like Miranda Lambert.

Also, was it just me or did K+J seem a lot friendlier in this intro they have in past seasons? Normally, they seem super judgey (which makes sense lol). But this episode they seemed so excited just to be in training camp.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, Weeklydcc said:

The DCC have cheered at every Cowboys home game.  They're on the end zone decks instead of on the sidelines, but they're there.

11 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

I went to the first home game they are there on the touchdown decks 

Of course Dallas still had cheerleaders and actual fans at their games.🙄

Thanks for the info, not a Dallas, or Jones family fan.

• Love 10

I don’t care how well Marissa dances.  Her looks instantly kill it for me.  Gurl is fugly as h***.  I literally laughed out loud when they cut from her walking up to the hotel to a sign saying “duck crossing”.

• LOL 12
  • Love 3

Here are some of my thoughts during Episode 1:

1. I am so sorry but there is something about Sydney that just rubs me off the wrong way. I am sure she's a lovely person in real life but I haven't seen it yet. Also in my opinion she looked sloppy in the pom dance video she submitted.
2. Same thing with Marissa except she's sounds immature and annoying. Also her reaction video to her making Training Camp, even though it was one second it was the weirdest thing.  I guess she has a lot of brothers, plus her boyfriend.  But her being around so many guys was kinda off putting for me. 
3. I like Jada's story. Even though I am not a fan of the sob story segments of the episode, it made me like her more. 
4. Annabelle is the highest scoring rookie? X to doubt. 
5. Kelly is the lowest scoring rookie, and they don't show her pom video? Another X to doubt.
6. During the first night of TC, Marissa dancing was all over the place in my opinion. 
7. I loved Elli and Jada. I think they were powerful without overdoing it. 
8. I don't like that K&J are having doubts about Kelly without actually showing us her making mistakes. From the little screen time she got I thought she was good. We'll see what happens.

Anyways that's it for now. Can't wait for Episode 2.

• Love 18
3 hours ago, TheGenuineBeauty said:

Here are some of my thoughts during Episode 1:

1. I am so sorry but there is something about Sydney that just rubs me off the wrong way. I am sure she's a lovely person in real life but I haven't seen it yet. Also in my opinion she looked sloppy in the pom dance video she submitted.
2. Same thing with Marissa except she's sounds immature and annoying. Also her reaction video to her making Training Camp, even though it was one second it was the weirdest thing.  I guess she has a lot of brothers, plus her boyfriend.  But her being around so many guys was kinda off putting for me. 
3. I like Jada's story. Even though I am not a fan of the sob story segments of the episode, it made me like her more. 
4. Annabelle is the highest scoring rookie? X to doubt. 
5. Kelly is the lowest scoring rookie, and they don't show her pom video? Another X to doubt.
6. During the first night of TC, Marissa dancing was all over the place in my opinion. 
7. I loved Elli and Jada. I think they were powerful without overdoing it. 
8. I don't like that K&J are having doubts about Kelly without actually showing us her making mistakes. From the little screen time she got I thought she was good. We'll see what happens.

Anyways that's it for now. Can't wait for Episode 2.

I wanted to post my things that made me go hmmm, but you covered all of them!

Sorry that I have to say this but Marissa brings the whole TCC down. No one forced Marissa to apply and yet here she is, definitely under-qualified. Under-qualified. Yes, she has some power, but that has nothing to do with her looks. Kelli and Judy have cut girls for their looks in the past but somehow, out of the 1500 applications they invited Marissa into TCC! I don't think that Marissa would have survived the normal procedure, with girls standing side by side, I mean, compare Marissa with Tori or Shannan; Marissa does not match up, she just doesn't. Sorry.

• Love 13

I hope that providing the routines to the girls in advance becomes the norm going forward. It was much more pleasant to watch without half of the girls looking lost the first night. Logistically, it’s also smart, as it should cut down on the length of training camp considerably - and that’s what the DCCs should want, covid or no covid. No point in girls uprooting their lives and moving to Dallas for months only to get cut, when it’s clearly unnecessary.

I didn’t dislike anyone, but I thought Dani, Claire, Elli, Marissa, Jada, and Darian all looked strong dancing. 

• Love 23
2 minutes ago, Itswhatisaid said:
6 hours ago, HitItHarder..BAM said:

Alora-rose seems really fake to me too.  Also, Sydney comes across as really fake too. 

I agree completely. Both sound rehearsed, but Sydney for sure gives me plastic pageant girl energy.  It’s clear she wants to be liked and wants to be a fan favorite but it’s a NO for me. Must be tough carrying around a pro bowl title but still being outperformed by girls fresh out of college. There was this one time she made the most awkward face/lip movement when she was interviewed. I couldn’t stop laughing at how hard she was trying 🤣😂🤣. Poor thing

also, Marissa isn’t the most beautiful to look at, but I thought she did a great job of standing out, and not in a bad way. 

• Love 1

There was a lot to digest for the first episode. I will have to go back and rewatch but these are my initial thoughts:

1. I was relieved that they went straight to the girls arriving for training camp. I was worried that they would spend a whole episode just looking through the applications. Get to dancing already. I spoke pretty soon when they did go back and show some, but it wasn't excessive. 

2. I LOVE that they still were able to incorporate Phil. Feels right. 

3. My initial favorites are Jada, Darian, Dani, and Elli. I liked Jada's story. I detected just a hint of an attitude/sass in her interviews. Hope I'm not right about it. 

4. I already feel like the series will highlight Marissa and Sydney. Sydney seems like Kat 2.0 to me. Again, hope I'm wrong about that. 

5. I agree wit K&J, it was exciting to see the candidates coming in knowing the dances and ready to perform. I was really impressed with the way some of them performed for K&J for the first time with a lot of power. 

6. I was impressed/relieved with the editing. Even with all the changes, still felt like a regular Making the Team episode. 

• Love 6

Alora - rose (Amelia - not Alora-rose), her whole story about being from California, and living the good sheltered life,  - and then deciding to move to Western Connecticut for boarding school - what was that about?  Does she think being in Connecticut is slummin' it???

Edited by Dtowngal5280
  • LOL 14
39 minutes ago, Dtowngal5280 said:

Alora - rose, her whole story about being from California, and living the good sheltered life,  - and then deciding to move to Western Connecticut for boarding school - what was that about?  Does she think being in Connecticut is slummin' it???

I think that was Amelia, not Alora-Rose. Alora-Rose is the girl who moved to New York at 18 to become a Rockette.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I really liked Marissa and think she is cute and a powerful dancer.  Jada looks like a little girl.  She can dance but someone pass her a cheeseburger and a cookie.  My man asked me why are all these girls too skinny.  He’s watched the show with me from the beginning and when I tell them TOTB prefer the scarecrows he laughed and said it must be true.  Speaking of scarecrows, could Charlotte have looked worse.  Her arms are twigs.

I loved they could dance right away and it does show who remembers choreography and who struggles 

the leaderboard I believe anyone after Victoria did not get  all yes votes.  There can be lots of reasons.   Neil has never liked Maggie. Erin one person could feel she’s not as big a dancer. Rachel W her politics. Tess has never been the strongest and some may think time to move on. It’s not a bunch of no are they wouldn’t be as high as they are. 

• Love 2

Thoughts: 

1. They said more girls auditioned than ever since the 80s, but it's still not like everyone can just travel to TC, move to a new city, and make it work indefinitely with no money and no job. It's still a deeply privileged process, lol. I imagine lots of people just submitted 'to see what happens.' Like, as we saw from their montage, they had probably 1000 classic bad, no-chance-in-hell auditions to choose from. The TCC videos we saw that seemed unimpressive...no wonder they stood out 
  2. I don't get what happens with the girls who are in college in another state. Do they legit just put it on hold to be a cheerleader?
  3. Holy hygiene theater
  4. Jada is really beautiful, wish my legs were that long. But she seems extremely lithe and curve-free for a potential DCC. I know they like them thin, obviously, but 
  5. Shocked they picked Armani for TCC with her ~natural~, less flippy hair
  6. Lol at Amelia's background story being like 'I was privileged then moved away to an $60k-a-year private boarding school, it was so eye-opening, I saw snow'
  7. REALLY sad Charm LaDonna couldn't be a full-time, in-person judge again. She was PERFECT
  8. It's funny how unenthused they sounded about the TCC videos...'she's stiff, she's tight, she's all over the place, she's losing it, she doesn't have mass appeal' lmao
  9. 'Jada's hair, isn't it gorgeous' LOL don't they straighten every curl in sight? Maddie is like seemingly the only one who's stuck to her curls
  10. It's kind of fun that they know the dances already
  11. Is it just me or does Cassie reeeeally look like a blonde Kristin?
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, BluegrassDCCFan said:

Hey yall when this episode pops up on Amazon or iTunes can someone please post links?  I can't find it on either platform yet (Mods sorry if this is in the wrong forum).

It's free on CMT's site right now

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Pau84 said:

I wanted to post my things that made me go hmmm, but you covered all of them!

Sorry that I have to say this but Marissa brings the whole TCC down. No one forced Marissa to apply and yet here she is, definitely under-qualified. Under-qualified. Yes, she has some power, but that has nothing to do with her looks. Kelli and Judy have cut girls for their looks in the past but somehow, out of the 1500 applications they invited Marissa into TCC! I don't think that Marissa would have survived the normal procedure, with girls standing side by side, I mean, compare Marissa with Tori or Shannan; Marissa does not match up, she just doesn't. Sorry.

And showing how subjective beauty is, I think Marissa is adorable and I love her hair. I’m so tired of the Barbie doll long stringy hair.  I actually found two other girls in Marissa’s group more facially unattractive, but I’ve long noticed that long, bleached blonde hair compensates for less facial beauty on this team. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

I believe Samantha Finglass has worked the auditions for years & might be working with the organization or at least was quarantined; thus, was available for doing interviews.

I loved how they still managed to get Phil & Judy’s stool in. Her stool doubled as a place to take notes in the dance studio prior to Judy having to sit on it!

• Love 2

Just watched it and I have thoughts!

1. It's very clear that they are not actually socially distancing and only wearing masks as a performance for the cameras, I wish they just made up some BS about testing everyone and nixed the masks- they're distracting 

2. I actually think Marissa looked really good, as good as the other "powerful" dancers they pointed out and I personally think she is cute. However, there is something about her that makes me want to say "bless her heart" and not in a nice way lol

3. I am actually kind of disappointed they didn't show more of the actual auditions. I saw Geena Rodrigues and I was sad she wasn't invited into camp, I would have liked to know about more of the girls that auditioned and why they picked the girls they did. 

4. Jada is 110% my new girl crush, ugh the legs, the curls, everything is good

5. For as much as Sydney has experience with being a professional cheerleader you would think she could blend her wig hairline better, sorry not sorry. She also doesn't seem as good as she should be for being a pro bowl cheerleader 🤷‍♀️

6. I'm honestly laughing at how they highlighted Alora-Rose's Rockettes experience but not her past Burlesque and Go-Go dancing, I don't know why I expected anything different

7. Why the heck did they bring ANY of the weaker girls into training camp? They act all shocked when someone struggles but they had choreographed pom videos, kick videos, and split videos and they STILL CHOSE THEM. At this point it is on them if the TCC can't do those things. They totally could have brought in half as many new girls and still had drama or whatever. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

Agreed on Jada’s hair. Hope they let her keep it natural versus straightening it.  They don’t seem to be fans of natural curls. 

They did specifically mention that they liked the way it moved, so I have hope. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Damn! Geena auditioned again and didn’t get in? I’m afraid she’s going to be like Kelli Q., terrific, but noticed several years after she should’ve been. 

LOVE that they included Phil. It wouldn’t have been the same without him.

Is Cassie the one who looks like a blonde Kristen? (Sorry, vanillagum, I just saw your comment. No, you’re not the only one.)

I hate to admit it, but Marissa is growing on me. Yes, she looks like a parrot, but she’s got something. (Of course, I’m judging as I slump on my couch, wearing old pjs, polishing off a pitcher of frozen mudslides.)

Edited by Pj3422
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6

Finally finished this episode in between preparing Thanksgiving dinner for tomorrow.

This might be the best season ever due to them actually coming into TC knowing the dances.  It was a nice change.

Worst music ever.

Kleenex needs to be on K's desk at every interview.   After 14 years it should be known crying is a distinct probability.

Marissa doesn't have Rachel W's looks but she sure can dance and can project even as little as she is.  I wonder if a different hair color would work better on her?  

Phil should be a guest judge next year.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Kitkatkitty said:

Why the heck did they bring ANY of the weaker girls into training camp? They act all shocked when someone struggles but they had choreographed pom videos, kick videos, and split videos and they STILL CHOSE THEM. At this point it is on them if the TCC can't do those things. They totally could have brought in half as many new girls and still had drama or whatever.

Right and the editing of those segments makes them seem a little dumb. "Most competitive season ever. More than 1500 auditions..."  They chose the top 20 girls - based on their audition videos. Then we see a segment of Kelli and Judy looking again at the same audition videos (after the girls are in TC) and they say things like "Jessica - she's not competition ready" or "Cassie -she seems like she's going to be  one that struggles  "Amelia - she's all over the place."  - "Tori-  doesn't have extension or kicks."  Sooo the obvious question - why did you pick them? Were these the top 20 out of all those applications?

Also just curious, Elli was dancing on a pretty rug in front of her garage. But then the next time they showed Elli in front of her garage the rug was gone.

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 1.41.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 1.47.29 PM.png

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
Just now, Tuxcat said:

Right and the editing of those segments makes them seem a little dumb. "Most competitive season ever. More than 1500 auditions..."  They chose the top 20 girls - based on their audition videos. Then we see a segment of Kelli and Judy looking again at the same audition videos (after the girls are in TC) and they say things like "Jessica - she's not competition ready" or "Cassie -she seems like she's going to be  one that struggles  "Amelia - she's all over the place."  - "Tori-  doesn't have extension or kicks."  Sooo the obvious question - why did you pick them? Were these the top 20 out of all those applications?

Also just curious, Elli was dancing on a pretty rug in front of her garage. But then the next time they showed Elli in front of her garage the rug was gone.

I think those are from 2 different audition rounds. They did a freestyle first, and then when the girls made the next round they learned a choreographed pom piece. I guess she realized that the rug didn't add and anything and just looked dumb. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Kitkatkitty said:

I think those are from 2 different audition rounds. They did a freestyle first, and then when the girls made the next round they learned a choreographed pom piece. I guess she realized that the rug didn't add and anything and just looked dumb. 

Ahh ok that makes sense. You're right. She had poms in the second pic - no rug. Maybe they even told her to get rid of it.

3 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Exactly. Why pick them if they didn't do their best during the audition process, where they could have done the routine over and over again until they had it down perfectly and then post it. So if the videos that they posted are their best and they are still getting criticized by K and J, then why pick them for training camp? The world may never know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

First impressions:

1. Find masks that fit well. Not all that hard.

2. Elli jumping on the bed with her shoes-I don't even let me kids do that. You would think they have never been in a hotel room. Tacky. I did think she was a nice dancer in her group.

3.The bathroom audition cracked me up.

4. Jada is so pretty. But two years of college and now ready for the Cowboys. Did I miss if she was going back to College did she drop out?

5. I liked that the ladies had the routines. Hope they keep that up for future seasons. 

6. Not a clue why J and K brought in ladies that they thought were weak. During a pandemic, why would you do this? Eg. Cassie looks tight and she looks like she will struggle. Then why ? 

7. Obviously the masks were just for show, why bother? Plus, the ladies are touching the wrong parts of the mask, then touching their poms. I would have been more impressed had they just worn the masks all the time including K and J.

8. Marissa didn't bother me. I haven't watched any of her social media so I'm coming in blind. Her energy does remind me of VK.

Edited by ElenaFR
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, vanillagum said:

1. I don't get what happens with the girls who are in college in another state. Do they legit just put it on hold to be a cheerleader.

Yes. I have a friend who’s daughter is a Rockette. She takes the fall semester off to go live in New York. She picked Ohio Sate over other schools because they told her she could still do her program taking semesters off. Other schools told her missing the semester would not work because they only have certain classes in the fall, so she would never be able to finish. So depending on what you are studying and what school you go to, you could make it work. She also gets paid, so I have no idea why you would put yourself in this hell situation for no pay!

Edited by WahooLAH99
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

Probably unpopular opinion but for me, Marissa looked borderline spastic. Almost too much power.  I'll have to see more. And Claire W. looked powerful but clunky.  I wish production could have come up with something to neutralize that distracting carpet.

Not a fan of Marissa ~ at all.  She may have "power", but her body language is soooo immature, and YES, spastic.  

• Love 5

As for school, I think many universities have most classes online right now! I don't think any of the girls had more than a year left and going online this year isn't very challenging and might even be mandatory. (Source: I am a grad student, and all of my classes and the class I teach are online this semester and probably also next semester, my brother's university classes are also online)