Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E30: US Presidential Election - The Saga

• Start Topic

Main topic: US Presidential Election, including accusations of Voter Fraud and unwillingness to concede / allow transition 

Other topics:  Forty Fort; 2020 Bingo; Adam Driver speaks to John; John explores the void; "Fuck you, 2020, get fucked"

We say goodbye to the season and hopefully the blank void.

Original air date 2020.11.15

I love him stressing that they did not ask Cena to take off his clothes.

I enjoyed the tour of the void. It reminds me of Janet’s from The Good Place.

Adam Driver FaceTiming with Ollie! And sexily insulting him! 

Get fucked 2020. Happy New Year everyone!

• Love 16

YES! I was hoping we'd get another "Fuck you" bit, given how hellish this year's been :D! Watching that 2020 sign blow up was cathartic as hell-I'll be watching that again on December 31st :p. 

Also loved Adam Driver actually showing up! Hee! Again, I haven't seen his work, so I can't comment on him in general, but this bit was enough to make me like him :D. 

As for the main story...

"in some ways, it's an inspiring story: the triumph of voting over death." For cripes' sakes, Carlson, put a sock in it. Also, regarding McConnell's comments about how they don't want to hear from the people who spent the last four years refusing to accept Trump, here's the rather notable difference he's failing to understand: They're complaining about voter fraud, which is exceedingly rare and, as John noted, wasn't an issue in this election. 

The people going after Trump, on the other hand, were complaining about problems with voter suppression and election interference from foreign leaders. Two things which are common and did happen, and which there is actual evidence for. Trump got impeached because of election interference. Even the Senate Republicans put out a report earlier this year acknowledging that yes, there was election interference in 2016. So no, it's not the same thing at all. 

And besides that, any questions or investigations into the 2016 election happened months and years later, not during the important transition time. Like John said, Hillary still conceded in 2016, and Obama's administration didn't purposefully keep Trump's transition team out of important briefings and meetings and whatnot. The fact that these people are trying to do that now with Biden, while certainly not surprising, is beyond appalling and they had better face some serious consequences for that when Biden does take over, because that goes well beyond petty into actively criminal behavior. You don't play with people's lives or national security like that. You just don't. And you don't "joke" about or encourage coups so cavalierly. Especially if you're in a prominent position of power. 

Luckily, from what I've been reading, Biden and his team have been finding ways around these blocks, thankfully. He shouldn't have to do that, of course, but it is nice to know that he's got backup plans in place. One big perk of having been in office for as long as he has. 

On a lighter note, LOL at John calling Graham "Leslie Jordan's absolute worst character" :D! And I like his theory about Forty Fort! Forty Fort!

And he definitely summed up the nightmare that's been this year pretty well. Regarding his lovely comments thanking everyone for their support and so forth, in turn, I send my utmost thanks to him and his crew for all their hard work and effort in keeping their show going amidst all this craziness. This show has definitely helped keep me sane throughout the year and given me some fun stuff to smile about even in the bleakest moments. I hope they all get some well-deserved rest these next few months. Look forward to the show's return in February, and hopefully we'll FINALLY have some more positive stuff to focus on and talk about by then. Lord knows we need it. 

• Love 21

Whew! For a moment, I thought we weren't going to get a !!!!!FUCK 2020!!!!! pyrotechnical explosion to end the year, but we did! And it was a massive thing of hellish beauty, worthy of us telling the year what we truly thought of it! But not before Adam Driver made an appearance to tell Ollie off over his "sick obsession" of him. And it was hysterical. It was worth it, after watching, in disgust, the aftermath of the 2020 election.

Ugh! I felt like taking one of those scrub down showers they make people take if they've been exposed to nuclear radiation, after watching Jon Voight's psychotic speech. It was truly toxic bullshit!

Nighty night, Ollie. Se you in 2021. Hopefully, it won't suck like this year has!

• Love 11

Fuck 2020 was beautiful.  Not "Eat shit Bob!" Beautiful but I'll take it.  And of course Adam Driver had to show up at one point he just had to.

Sad this season is over.  With Covid spiking and the shit show of the transition and the not conceding I could use John's guiding voice bit understandably he needs a break.

• Love 7

Frankly, I don't think that I needed the Fuck off 2020, because Corona aside, most of the BS we dealt with this year was still the fall out of 2016, and I am kind of glad that a lot of the trends set back then are now slowly starting to get reversed. Fuck off Covid might be more fitting.  

This is the first time in ages that I actually felt something for a republican politician. This guy who was responsible for the voting, he really looked distraught. I can relate.

I am now wondering if the 2020 Bingo card is an actual Bingo card. And why the hell we never got the Eratica on the wall, like promised.

Man, I can't imagine the next months without this show, especially since the US now goes now in the "hot phase" and we will really need shows like this to call out the right people.

• Love 6

That was beautiful. Also: I wasn’t aware there were quarries that close to New York. Only times I think of those is while remembering episodes of Doctor Who filmed in the bulk of the Seventies.

We get one final takedown of the allegations of voter fraud, newspeople talking about their 2020 Bingo cards (by the way, did anyone ever get five in a row to end the damn game?), Adam Driver expresses his displeasure over John overly-run joke, we get a tour of The Void, and John blows up 2020.

And all the while, the show goes that extra mile even when scattered away from each other. Trying to find the Muhammad Ali quote from John Voight (maybe he was thinking of “It Ain’t Over ‘Til It’s Over?” from Yogi Berra? Do we really care?), providing detailed art (the two-rats-and-a-condom sandwich, Jared Kuscner’s whiteboard, the origins of Forty Fort), and John always hitting the jokes without ever punching down. Bob Murray passed away weeks ago. John didn’t send him off via flurry of jokes because he has class.

I still have the 2016 finale on DVR, so John going bigger with blowing up 2020 made me happy. It was the slow realization that it was going to happen . . . wow. “Fuck you, 2020. Get fucked.” Pretty much the epitaph for this year, even with several weeks remaining.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I love him stressing that they did not ask Cena to take off his clothes.

me too. how awesome is cena!

10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Also loved Adam Driver actually showing up! Hee! Again, I haven't seen his work, so I can't comment on him in general, but this bit was enough to make me like him :D. 

i've seen him in several things, and i'm so glad he showed up. he was perfect. it was a perfect bit.

Like John said, Hillary still conceded in 2016, and Obama's administration didn't purposefully keep Trump's transition team out of important briefings and meetings and whatnot. The fact that these people are trying to do that now with Biden, while certainly not surprising, is beyond appalling and they had better face some serious consequences for that when Biden does take over, because that goes well beyond petty into actively criminal behavior. You don't play with people's lives or national security like that. You just don't. And you don't "joke" about or encourage coups so cavalierly. Especially if you're in a prominent position of power. 

republican congressmen know how important the transition is, and yet too many of them are bending over backward to support trump's temper tantrum. it's sickening and maddening. they're stabbing the u.s. in the back ---- no, i should say, in the front. they're just assaulting their own country, making it vulnerable to attacks from outside. unconscionable. 

Luckily, from what I've been reading, Biden and his team have been finding ways around these blocks, thankfully. He shouldn't have to do that, of course, but it is nice to know that he's got backup plans in place. One big perk of having been in office for as long as he has. 

good to hear, but still... 😠

On a lighter note, LOL at John calling Graham "Leslie Jordan's absolute worst character" :D! 

loved that! what a unique reference.

6 hours ago, swanpride said:

This is the first time in ages that I actually felt something for a republican politician. This guy who was responsible for the voting, he really looked distraught. I can relate.

i know not all republicans support what's going on, but still it's reassuring to actually see those who are appalled by this mess.

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

That was beautiful. Also: I wasn’t aware there were quarries that close to New York. Only times I think of those is while remembering episodes of Doctor Who filmed in the bulk of the Seventies.

i too was wondering about the location. i'm not really all that familiar with the terrain of ny state, but i'm curious where this was filmed.

Trying to find the Muhammad Ali quote from John Voight (maybe he was thinking of “It Ain’t Over ‘Til It’s Over?” from Yogi Berra? Do we really care?)

yeah, i was thinking he had the yogi quote in mind, but still, how did he get to that complete fabrication? could he have -- gasp -- made it up?

i can't tell you how much pleasure i got from john mentioning trump's truck fetish. "it's his truck now. Honk! Honnnnk!"

• Love 9

Wow! I thought they were going to do that explosion in CGI. Or maybe do it with a miniature set and composite John onto the foreground. But I think that was actually a real full scale set. The movement and physics of everything was too good. Making that all up in CGI would have probably cost as much as doing it for real. 

John really does enjoy spending HBO’s money. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I understand why John and the show need breaks, but am I the only one who has this feeling of sadness/fear of being left "alone" for the rest of the year. . .I feel this way every time. The show really helps me process the crazy.

Well, done, show. The explosion did look real to me--so if it wasn't, well done even more. I was thinking maybe it was filmed as part of the Danbury outing.

The last newscasters to call their BINGO card in that Now This are local here. 

• Love 10

As enjoyable as it was to see the departure to 2020, the fact that John chose to do so while incinerating thousands of gallons of gasoline (along with whatever materials the sign were made from) in the middle of an open pit mine was rather disappointing. I always saw John as pro concise effort when it came to the environment and carbon emission.

It's going to be hard to take him seriously on things issues related to resource extraction and climate change when he's so obviously in favor of a wasteful stunt like this.

6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

.republican congressmen know how important the transition is, and yet too many of them are bending over backward to support trump's temper tantrum.

That's another part that just kills me about all this. Trump is 74 years old. He's a grown man. And we're supposed to coddle him because he can't deal with the fact he lost an election? Please. 

It's especially ironic and laughable to hear people making such an argument considering the last four years we've been subjected to all manner of, "Fuck your feelings"/'Sensitive snowflake"/mocking safe spaces nonsense from Trump and all who've enabled and encouraged his nasty rhetoric and bullying and harassment of people. Our feelings didn't matter, but his feelings do. Okay. 

• Love 13

Loved the Adam Driver part. That was awesome. Loved blowing up 2020 yes this year has been terrible. John Oliver going over the supposed fraud and how it wasn't. 

The only part I hated was this was the end of the show for the year? Come on John Oliver we need a few more episodes because this year has been so bad. How do I wait until February? 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I am definitely replaying that segment at some point during New Year's Eve.

Get fucked indeed.

Put me in the "real" camp. The debris was throwing up dust when it hit the ground.

• Love 6

Yeah, as much as I enjoyed the Fuck 2020-plosion, at some point while watching it I asked myself how many tons of CO2 I was watching being released into the atmosphere while I huddle in my hoodie and long johns with my heat pump thermostat set at 65.  So I was hoping it was CGI, and am sort of sad to see that it apparently wasn't.  Still, it was fun cathartic entertainment.  But bad. But really enjoyable.  But bad.  Oh fuck 2020.  I can't even enjoy watching shit get blown up with a clear conscience.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

It's especially ironic and laughable to hear people making such an argument considering the last four years we've been subjected to all manner of, "Fuck your feelings"/'Sensitive snowflake"/mocking safe spaces nonsense from Trump and all who've enabled and encouraged his nasty rhetoric and bullying and harassment of people. Our feelings didn't matter, but his feelings do. Okay. 

Are you suggesting there might be hypocrisy involved?

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

John standing in front of the Explosion was CGI. But the explosion itself, that was totally real if you ask me. Just a construct of wood and paper they blow up, but the way it blow up was too...well...uneven to be CGI. If it had been CGI the people who did it could have managed to make John walking through the area and standing in front of the explosion look more convincing too.

• Love 3
On 11/15/2020 at 11:30 PM, scarynikki12 said:

It's a great sentiment, worthy of a huge explosion (at least part, but not all, CGI--I think we will eventually find out that elements of it were real, but it was enhanced), but I fear 2020 isn't done kicking us around yet.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3
On 11/16/2020 at 4:29 PM, Traveller519 said:

As enjoyable as it was to see the departure to 2020, the fact that John chose to do so while incinerating thousands of gallons of gasoline (along with whatever materials the sign were made from) in the middle of an open pit mine was rather disappointing. I always saw John as pro concise effort when it came to the environment and carbon emission.

It wouldn’t surprise me if John had the staff be extra-conscious about the environment, thus giving the show a surplus (for lack of a better word) to blow (pun intended) on the explosives. I was half-expecting John to be showered with debris, and his horrified realization the sign was made of uncounted ballots. Or that he blew up the area where Samantha Bee has been doing her show.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4

I was without HBO for a couple of months earlier this year, so I didn’t know about Cat Week Tonight.  So I found out which episode it ran on, and I laughed so hard.  I never laugh any more, so this was fantastic.  And nothing says fuck 2020 like a well-produced cat video.  

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

LOL, oh, wow. Shame the show's not on now-I'd love to see what he'd say to that. Maybe there'll be a response on Twitter or something :D. 

Does Forty Fort have a landfill or chemical / nuclear waste disposal site that needs a new name?

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Kromm said:

FORTY FORT RESPONDS TO JOHN OLIVER

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/local/luzerne-county/forty-fort-responds-to-john-oliver/523-67006aa1-7d1c-45f8-bc9b-139666f33a56

"Spoiler alert: a lot of people here don't know who you are @iamjohnoliver😂

Loved the reporter’s trolling, AND I learned something about the Revolutionary War. John Oliver vs. small town America is truly the gift that keeps on giving!

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

I never thought the explosion looked like CGI, but I didn't get into the discussion about whether or not it was. Anyway, great interview. Love when Seth brings up people saying how much fun it must have been for comedy shows to write about Trump and isn't he going to be missed, then John says that you don't ask the people of Elm Street if they're going to miss Freddy Krueger. "What are you going to dream about?" 😄

• LOL 9