Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Well, that was uneventful! Hayley Orrantia sounded like she had laryngitis earlier in th beginning. I also got weirded out how close they were in certain scenes, mainly in the airplane restroom. The two first episodes were boring. Adam is becoming unbearable! Stop, show! He already aged out his character. Do something different! Jesus! And stop trying to make Erica Beverly 2.0! I just can't...

• Love 9

It felt very flat and forced to me. Honestly, the kids are all monsters that really do not deserve Beverly...but I guess she created them. Who thinks being on beck and call to 2 grown adults who act like assholes, fun? My friend's mother does everything for her too when she visits home but she always treats her mother with kindness and respect.

Erica treats Geoff horribly. I wish he would stand up to her but

Spoiler

I know from the other show that he ends up marrying her and provides her with a very comfortable life.

Also, I am sorry Bev...your family is nothing to brag about and they are really not that attractive (except for maybe Erica).

I could not understand why the Hell the second episode kept going on and on about how hot Adam looked. I liked him much better with the glasses and without those stupid frosted tips.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 7

My thought when I saw the promos was Oh Lordy they're going to Jump the Shark !  And, they did.

The airplane ("Airplane") episode was just embarrassing and it's had to say who behaved worse. 

Oh, and have we seen Barry's new "rich" girl friend before?  Updates besides that girl included Beverly's new wig - and Erika treating Geoff even worse than ever before.  Plus, I almost forgot, George Segal's new mustache was very startling.

Finally in the second episode I just couldn't look at the 'new' Adam.  The makeover was of course the same kid but he just looked too different from the character we've been watching.  Bottom line - just not getting it, and they took it one season too far, I think.

Edited by Chippings
George Segal
  • Love 11

We've seen so many homage episodes. I've enjoyed many of them, and gotten the references generally, but none of them were ever really "my" movie or show or whatever.  When I saw they were doing "Airplane!" I was thrilled.  I've seen it a million times and just love it.  How disappointing was that result!

It certainly wasn't much of a match in terms of comedy style.  I don't think there was a single direct reference other than Adam quoting lines and scenarios at Brea.  To be fair, I zoned out and stopped watching the background after a while.  And the best cameo they could get was from "First Krishna"?  Yikes.

None of these relationships have changed much in seven years.  They all deserve each other.  "I had to help him with his diarrhea, his extreme diarrhea!" wasn't even so funny the first time, much less the subsequent repeats.  That's enough complaining from me, but really, weren't these once creative people?

PS: The real Beverly is awful pissy about the writers making her family seem more rude and dysfunctional than they were in "the real story."  So maybe they did know to grin and bear it for five or six hours at the event before the sightseeing, like the rest of us.  And for God's sake, why didn't Oscar Nunez just move to the row behind him?

I guess I'll watch the second one later.  I'm a "completist" at my peril.

1 hour ago, Chippings said:

Oh, and have we seen Barry's new "rich" girl friend before?  Updates besides that girl included Beverly's new wig - and Erika treating Geoff even worse than ever before.  Plus, I almost forgot, George Segal's new mustache was very startling.

I think we met her near the end of last season.  The actor has been recast: the first one had obligations to another show which I guess they thought would work out until COVID threw schedules off.  This wasn't a deeply realized character, so fine.  I don't think we knew she was wealthy before.  I didn't like the wig or mustache.

Edited by 853fisher
fixed quote
  • Love 6

My favorite episode of the Goldbergs is the one where they went to eat at the restaurant.  They behaved terriblly and I thought it was hilarious.  This airplane episode seemed to be a takoff on a similar theme, but in this case it wasn't so amusing, I just kept thinking what horrible people they are.  

Did anyone notice how much tanner everyone looked in the second episode?  I guess it made sense in some way because storyline-wise they just got back from Florida, but it was distracting and supposedly they only went to a bar mitzvah.

Portraying Adam as a popular super stud seems a little self serving, considering it's his show.  It's a little off putting, frankly, but I guess he did start hanging out with the cool kids in senior year, so okay whatever.  Come to think of it there was only a week between the first and second episode and his hair was dark in the airplane one, so we're supposed to believe his hair frosted itself practically overnight?  I did like the message that when you're an adult you get to branch out and aren't stuck in a stereotype box so much, that's true.

This is what I find jarring:  The characters are completely selfish the entire show and at the end they'll have a breakthrough moment and realize the error of their ways.  Only to rinse and repeat the next episode.  Obviously they're never going to learn anything so they might as well just have them be horrible people and go with it, without sugar coating it at the end.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 14

Wendi's new wig was very distracting. It's like they gave up and went with a much shorter wig. George Seagal's mustache through me off a bit. I noticed how distant he is with the actors. It must be his quarantine mustache or something. Don't know. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

My favorite episode of the Goldbergs is the one where they went to eat at the restaurant.  They behaved terriblly and I thought it was hilarious.  This airplane episode seemed to be a takoff on a similar theme, but in this case it wasn't so amusing, I just kept thinking what horrible people they are.  

I think that episode worked so well because, as over the top and ridiculous as it got, it still felt like something based on reality. The family was often terrible and super annoying, but they were terrible and annoying in a way that was recognizable, and that made it funny. It helps that it was apparently actually based on real Goldberg family dinners, while this was apparently based on nothing except for wacky hijinks, pointless airplane quotes, and the Goldburgs being the worst people to be on a flight with ever. 

I hope that the season picks up, because this was just sad, even by the standards of the last few seasons. This show has been running on fumes for awhile now, with the characters never really progressing and everyone learning the same stupid lessons over and over again, but the last season did still have some good episodes and bits. If this season is anything like these episodes, I dont even know if we will get that. 

• Love 10
36 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

this was apparently based on nothing except for wacky hijinks, pointless airplane quotes, and the Goldburgs being the worst people to be on a flight with ever. 

It doesn't help that I find all the movie tie-ins on this show (and Schooled) to be so annoying.  "Back in the 80s, there was this popular movie, and here's a story about my family built around that movie".  Ugh.  I guess I only have myself to blame, because I know that's a major theme of this show, and yet I still continue to watch it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Snerk.  I haaaaaaaated the restaurant episode.

Every. Fucking. Show is the same.  The same!  Beverly irritates the kids and they are monsters and then at the end everyone says they are sorry and NOTHING CHANGES.

I so wanted Schooled to be kept over this.  And I’m an 80’s kid!  I’m only three years older than Adam is and we like so many of the same things.  But it’s getting repetitive.  It’s BEEN repetitive.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 9
15 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I find all the movie tie-ins on this show (and Schooled) to be so annoying.  "Back in the 80s, there was this popular movie, and here's a story about my family built around that movie".  Ugh.  I guess I only have myself to blame, because I know that's a major theme of this show, and yet I still continue to watch it.

It definitely didn't use to be as frequent.  And when it was done, it was IMO woven in better, for lack of better description.  Some situation in the show would parallel the plot of whatever was being homage'd.  Like I seem to remember they hd an adventure around town in the spirit of "Goonies" when that was on the menu.  They didn't just sit around quoting "Goonies" at each other over lunch.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

The same!  Beverly irritates the kids and they are monsters and then at the end everyone says they are sorry and NOTHING CHANGES.

I so wanted Schooled to be kept over this.

Yes!  Stupid move on ABC's part for keeping The Goldbergs just because it had slightly higher ratings.  They should've bumped this show and put Schooled in its slot.  1990s nostalgia is where it's at in the 2020s.

• Love 6

I agree that the behavior was over the top, and also very recycled in the storyline.  Been there done that.  As for Schooled, I never really felt that show totally hit the mark.  The school environment in that one is so cheesy, and it always appears that 10 students attend.  Lol.  At least in Goldberg’s they have some somewhat normal school behavior.  But at any rate, hopefully the season gets better.

• Love 4

I must be the only one who enjoyed the episodes, nice to see Oscar from The Office and Jamie from the Progressive commercials,lol.  I was glad to see the series back on, even if alot of it was over the top. Growing up in the 80's, could relate to the styles back then. I wasn't sure that Schooled got cancelled, I enjoyed it. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I must be the only one who enjoyed the episodes, nice to see Oscar from The Office and Jamie from the Progressive commercials,lol.

I noticed that.  They've got both Flo and Jamie on there, are they trying to fit in all the people from the Progressive commercials?

I hadn't realized Schooled had been cancelled, that's too bad.  Oh well, frees up another half hour a week for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I must be the only one who enjoyed the episodes, nice to see Oscar from The Office and Jamie from the Progressive commercials,lol.  I was glad to see the series back on, even if alot of it was over the top. Growing up in the 80's, could relate to the styles back then. I wasn't sure that Schooled got cancelled, I enjoyed it. 

That's two Progressive stars. Wonder if they get a third...? How old is George, anyway? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, alexa said:

I agree that the behavior was over the top, and also very recycled in the storyline.  Been there done that.  As for Schooled, I never really felt that show totally hit the mark.  The school environment in that one is so cheesy, and it always appears that 10 students attend.  Lol.  At least in Goldberg’s they have some somewhat normal school behavior.  But at any rate, hopefully the season gets better.

They went with two different actors so far as Barry's and Adam's girlfriends. 

11 hours ago, rmontro said:

I thought the restaurant episode was okay, but really hated the Airplane one (and I love the Airplane movies). Similar premise, but everyone seemed so much louder and nastier this time. Frankly, after the year we've all had I'm shocked that the writers thought the best way to open their season was to show the entire main cast acting like entitled assholes and abusing service workers for 30 minutes straight. They obviously can't address Covid directly due to the setting, but in light of all the terrible mask/anti-mask confrontations and "Karen" incidents that have gone viral this year, the whole storyline seemed incredibly tone deaf. I didn't laugh once and ended the episode feeling nothing but disgust for the whole family.

• Love 7

There was one thing I really liked about the first episode, no opening theme song. Other than that, I felt like I was trapped on an airplane with a bunch of irritating morons for what seemed longer than a half hour. As for the next one, as soon as I read the description of Adam being the cool kid I knew we were in for an unbelievable farce. It turned out to be the same trite Goldberg plot we've seen 50 times already.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I thought the restaurant episode was okay, but really hated the Airplane one (and I love the Airplane movies). Similar premise, but everyone seemed so much louder and nastier this time. Frankly, after the year we've all had I'm shocked that the writers thought the best way to open their season was to show the entire main cast acting like entitled assholes and abusing service workers for 30 minutes straight. They obviously can't address Covid directly due to the setting, but in light of all the terrible mask/anti-mask confrontations and "Karen" incidents that have gone viral this year, the whole storyline seemed incredibly tone deaf. I didn't laugh once and ended the episode feeling nothing but disgust for the whole family.

Quoting lines from the movie is not comedy, show! That's lazy writing. Wendi looks like she is done with this show. Jeff Garlin looks like he rather be at HBO than ABC. Even George Seagal looked like he rather be quarantined than wasting his talent here. And the ratings dipped just now. Not a good opening...it is going to suffer the same problems that plagued Fresh Off The Boat and Modern Family. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Robert Lynch said:

Quoting lines from the movie is not comedy, show! That's lazy writing. Wendi looks like she is done with this show. Jeff Garlin looks like he rather be at HBO than ABC. Even George Seagal looked like he rather be quarantined than wasting his talent here. And the ratings dipped just now. Not a good opening...it is going to suffer the same problems that plagued Fresh Off The Boat and Modern Family. 

ABC has a habit of drilling these old shows to the ground until you almost forget why you liked them in the first place. They also bail on new shows too fast before they reach their potential.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, rmontro said:

I guess it made sense in some way because storyline-wise they just got back from Florida, but it was distracting and supposedly they only went to a bar mitzvah.

That part bugged me.  They were clearly going to be there a few days at least, not all that time would be at the bar mitzvah.

• Love 9

I too was really confused about the time frame of this trip. They were still going to the Miami area right? They arent just going to fly all the way to Florida just for a few hours at a Bar Mitzvah right? Cant they stop by the beach or something too? Are they seriously going to fly all the way to Florida for a few hours? Are they just going to leave the Bar Mitzvah, go to the hotel, and then go home? Why even bother? Just stay a few days if Bev has used her powers of being a pain in the ass to get free hotel points. 

At this point, the characters have become less "lovably eccentric and dysfunctional" to "a whole family of annoying mean entitled Karen's who make the lives of anyone in their vicinity a living hell, including their significant others." 

• Love 14

Speaking of the 80's

David Leisure played the pilot

David Leisure - Wikipedia

David Russell Leisure (born November 16, 1950) is an American actor. He played Charley Dietz in the sitcom Empty Nest from 1988 to 1995 and fictional automotive "pitch man" Joe Isuzu in a series of North American television commercials for Isuzu from 1986 to 1990, and again from 1999 to 2001.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Eh, I liked both episodes.  It’s slim pickings these days, as far as new shows are concerned.  It’s something I can watch with my kid and we both laugh.  Innocent enough.  I was sad when Glascott came on and I remember that we don’t have Schooled anymore. 😢

For a minute in the previews I thought new mature Adam was Matt Bradley with a perm.  🤣.  

Also I fricking died laughing about Beverly and her 50 night stays as a reward for leaving the hotel premises.   

• Love 5
4 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

Speaking of the 80's

David Leisure played the pilot

David Leisure - Wikipedia

David Russell Leisure (born November 16, 1950) is an American actor. He played Charley Dietz in the sitcom Empty Nest from 1988 to 1995 and fictional automotive "pitch man" Joe Isuzu in a series of North American television commercials for Isuzu from 1986 to 1990, and again from 1999 to 2001.

I knew he looked so familiar.

I actually enjoyed the second episode. It was slightly different than most episodes. I mean the Adam stuff. The Barry and Erica plot has been done 57 times already. But the Adam thing was a new take on him and I liked it.  
As a die hard Airplane fan I was sorely disappointed with the first episode. The Goonies episode is my all time favorite one and that is how you do a take on a film. This was lame.   

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, xander874 said:

I actually enjoyed the second episode. It was slightly different than most episodes. I mean the Adam stuff. The Barry and Erica plot has been done 57 times already. But the Adam thing was a new take on him and I liked it.  
As a die hard Airplane fan I was sorely disappointed with the first episode. The Goonies episode is my all time favorite one and that is how you do a take on a film. This was lame.   

See, because I think it came to the point both the real Adam and the actor were: "Yeah, by this point in my life, I still me, but I had decided to start you know, acting like I was about to finish high school." Plus, the way Schooled ended abruptly and with two of the actors getting caught in sexual harassment problems and Tim Meadows back on the show full time. It feels more like they are trying to either salvage or start wrapping up the series. You can tell a lot of the cast are just phoning things in, they are trying to keep things going, but it's repeat the same stories with both Barry and Erica and Murray and Bev left and right. Honestly, ABC should be smart and just let the show end after this season. 

• Love 2

George Segal is 86. I know someone asked but can’t find it to quote-reply. I like him very much, and the character too.

Disappointing and disturbing allegations against Bryan Callen. I hadn’t seen them before. I too am curious to know who the other person under fire from the “Schooled” cast is.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Regarding the 10/28 episode- granted, I’m posting only 5 minutes in, but is this going to be a full-time joke about how nobody knows how to pronounce “comptroller”?

But I might be able to overlook that after the shoutout to the B. Kliban cat pillowcase. Still have those in the guest room!

• Love 3

Those flushed faces! I am not against anybody with complexion problems or bad skin, but Wendi's and most of the women's makeup was atrocious. It goes to show how before the pandemic they didn't have this problem. I am lately seeing a lot shows in the pandemic that shows what a difference in professional makeup that is required. Including game show hosts and Vanna White. I think those caked makeup on the women are terrible. I am also seeing a lot of that on newscasters as well. Flushed faces amid pounds of caked makeup.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Those flushed faces! I am not against anybody with complexion problems or bad skin, but Wendi's and most of the women's makeup was atrocious. It goes to show how before the pandemic they didn't have this problem. I am lately seeing a lot shows in the pandemic that shows what a difference in professional makeup that is required. Including game show hosts and Vanna White. I think those caked makeup on the women are terrible. I am also seeing a lot of that on newscasters as well. Flushed faces amid pounds of caked makeup.

Right, because they did on one TiKTok video how they do make up now. Stargirl recently talked about updated costumes to make sure it looked still professional instead of just thrown on.

• Love 2
On 10/22/2020 at 1:30 PM, rmontro said:

The restaurant episode is our favorite. Adam tweeted that he had an episode called "Flying with the Goldbergs" the real story like the restaurant one. He said the writers didn't want it and wrote this episode instead. The real Bev also stated that Murray was never afraid of flying and her kids never acted like that towards her. As it was stated above, she is very unhappy the way the writers are portraying her family.

Adam hasn't been part of the show for two seasons now and it shows. He and Bev have both said they have a ton of stories for the writers, but the writers aren't asking for them. In the episode with Adam changing his looks, he mentions being alergic to avacados. The real Adam said he is not alergic to them.

I feel that it's not about the real Goldbergs anymore and it's now just a sitcom. There have been 3 episodes and I haven't laughed at any of them. I understand wanting it to go on until Adam is out of high school, but it should've ended last season. All Erica and Barry do is yell and I can't do it anymore. We watch all the old seasons on Hulu and they were so funny. It's a shame Adam moved on to Schooled and then the writing went to crap.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:23 AM, qtpye said:

Wendi looks like she is done with this show

I said this during last season. She seems tired of doing the same thing all the time. You wouldn't know it by how much she says loves doing the show on Twitter.

• Useful 5
  • Love 7
31 minutes ago, Madtown said:

It's a shame Adam moved on to Schooled and then the writing went to crap.

No kidding and with Schooled cancelled, you think Adam would just go back to Goldbergs, but seriously, it is crap now because the main writers are: "Hey, we are in control now, let the good times roll."

• Love 3

I really just feel sorry for Geoff being stuck with this awful girlfriend who treats him like crap and is so self absorbed it never even enters her mind to think about what he might want. Its always the same thing, Erica is an awful girlfriend, she "learns a lesson" and apologizes, and in the next episode she is exactly the same. Which is really a problem with the show in general, the characters learn the same lessons over and over always forgetting them between episodes until they are all just flat hallow caricatures of themselves. 

You can really tell that real Adam isn't really involved anymore, what made this show so good for so long was how specific the plots were, you could really tell that, as outlandish as it seemed, this was based on something real. Now its just become another generic sitcom, and one where everyone involved seems to be phoning it in. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I really just feel sorry for Geoff being stuck with this awful girlfriend who treats him like crap and is so self absorbed it never even enters her mind to think about what he might want. Its always the same thing, Erica is an awful girlfriend, she "learns a lesson" and apologizes, and in the next episode she is exactly the same. Which is really a problem with the show in general, the characters learn the same lessons over and over always forgetting them between episodes until they are all just flat hallow caricatures of themselves. 

You can really tell that real Adam isn't really involved anymore, what made this show so good for so long was how specific the plots were, you could really tell that, as outlandish as it seemed, this was based on something real. Now its just become another generic sitcom, and one where everyone involved seems to be phoning it in. 

It was like with Bev's entire campaign, I mean dear God! That was just bad and while Murry told Pops the reasons why he was doing things. How MANY TIMES HAS THIS HAPPENED and yet still Bev keeps doing this stupid stuff. Murry still can't get out of his chair and do something. Then when people tell him: "Get off your ass and do something" he instead yells at them about how he earned sitting on his ass in his undeware and then gets caught up in his own scheme and then feels bad for not saying something. NO ONE LEARNS shit!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Madtown said:

The restaurant episode is our favorite. Adam tweeted that he had an episode called "Flying with the Goldbergs" the real story like the restaurant one. He said the writers didn't want it and wrote this episode instead. The real Bev also stated that Murray was never afraid of flying and her kids never acted like that towards her. As it was stated above, she is very unhappy the way the writers are portraying her family.

That sounds like a real shame.  Let's face it, The Goldbergs have never been high art, but it had something interesting about it that's kept me watching.  All of those stories that Adam told, which were outlandish, and then at the end they would show video footage of when Adam was a kid, and my reaction would be "Wow, that really happened?".  I bet Adam's flying episode was actually amusing, and 10x better than what we got. 

• Love 10
18 hours ago, Madtown said:

Adam hasn't been part of the show for two seasons now and it shows. He and Bev have both said they have a ton of stories for the writers, but the writers aren't asking for them. In the episode with Adam changing his looks, he mentions being alergic to avacados. The real Adam said he is not alergic to them.

I feel that it's not about the real Goldbergs anymore and it's now just a sitcom. There have been 3 episodes and I haven't laughed at any of them. I understand wanting it to go on until Adam is out of high school, but it should've ended last season. All Erica and Barry do is yell and I can't do it anymore. We watch all the old seasons on Hulu and they were so funny. It's a shame Adam moved on to Schooled and then the writing went to crap.

I said this during last season. She seems tired of doing the same thing all the time. You wouldn't know it by how much she says loves doing the show on Twitter.

Answer: money! 

• Love 2

I am frustrated that Erica treats Geoff like dirt, says she is sorry, and then will probably go back to treating him like dirt again the next episode.

When he said he did not want to break up with her...I was like why the hell not? This woman treats you like a personal servant and there is no reason to put up with that type of bullshit. What is she bringing to the table that actually makes you want to stay?

• Love 6
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 7:55 PM, Utpe said:

Yes!  Stupid move on ABC's part for keeping The Goldbergs just because it had slightly higher ratings.  They should've bumped this show and put Schooled in its slot.  1990s nostalgia is where it's at in the 2020s.

God no, Schooled was terrible.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 9:39 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I did laugh at them all pushing the call button for the stupidest things.  But these episodes weren't the best.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 3:17 PM, Cementhead said:

All I can add is that yes, Bev's new wig was really distracting

Honestly, I didn't even notice that it was different.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 10:57 PM, readster said:

Barry, please, just stop! It's not funny anymore. 

I actually thought it was at least somewhat amusing.  Not brilliant or anything, but in pandemic times, I'll take amusing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I am frustrated that Erica treats Geoff like dirt, says she is sorry, and then will probably go back to treating him like dirt again the next episode.

When he said he did not want to break up with her...I was like why the hell not? This woman treats you like a personal servant and there is no reason to put up with that type of bullshit. What is she bringing to the table that actually makes you want to stay?

Absolutely!

• Love 2

Watching Beverly be a really terrible person to her friends is not enjoyable television.

Also isn’t Bill Lainey’s dad?  And there was not one mention of her getting a stepmom?

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1
  • Love 16
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

Watching Beverly be a really terrible person to her friends is not enjoyable television.

Also isn’t Bill Lainey’s dad?  And there was not one mention of her getting a stepmom?

You'd figure she'd be at the wedding, at least. 

• Love 9