Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

You'd figure she'd be at the wedding, at least. 

Since school was canceled, I though that this was the way they would reintroduce Lainey to the Goldbergs.

• Love 8

What happened to Adams super stud makeover from last week?  Looks like he reverted to normal.  

It was nice to see they hadn't forgotten Erica was in an a capella group.  One of my best friends was married to "Maybe I'm Amazed" by Paul McCartney so it was nice to hear it here.  I never really saw it as a wedding song, but I guess it is.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

You'd figure she'd be at the wedding, at least. 

Yeah, I guess we wont be seeing her anymore if she can't make an appearance for her dad's wedding. Maybe she's mad that she lost "her" show.  Oh well, no great loss to me.

Having never really seen the show, I caught the last two episodes.  Is it an ongoing joke that the females are significantly more attractive than their male counterparts?  It really struck me in the last episode with the marrying couple. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, AryasMum said:

Having never really seen the show, I caught the last two episodes.  Is it an ongoing joke that the females are significantly more attractive than their male counterparts?  It really struck me in the last episode with the marrying couple. 

Sadly, that is often just tv in general. 

• Love 7
On 11/5/2020 at 8:54 PM, Eataton said:

Yeah, I guess we wont be seeing her anymore if she can't make an appearance for her dad's wedding. Maybe she's mad that she lost "her" show.  Oh well, no great loss to me.

I bet that is the case!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, qtpye said:

Sadly, that is often just tv in general. 

No kidding and many movies too. How many movies have had it where the mom might be in her forties or early 50s and still looking very attractive and healthy. Meanwhile, the husband is shown to either be: Super over weight, gray and looking like they don't give a damn.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 11/5/2020 at 3:28 PM, rmontro said:

It was nice to see they hadn't forgotten Erica was in an a capella group.  One of my best friends was married to "Maybe I'm Amazed" by Paul McCartney so it was nice to hear it here.  I never really saw it as a wedding song, but I guess it is.

At least it made sense to use it here. I thought the show went off the rails when they moved Erica to college and then she dropped out to pursue a music career with that awful roommate. I understand the actress is in a band, and I hate when shows try to make the actors' singing careers happen. Do it on your own time.

Are there any new videos to go with the stories? We've seen Bev and Murray dancing tons of times. "Stop filming me", the Thanksgiving argument, Adam and Bev dancing, and Adam in white knee socks can be archived, too. 

• Love 7

It seems like a pretty dick move to dump your boyfriend at a wedding, even a hastily thrown together one. Maybe just wait a day or two? 

The lack of Lainey really did feel super weird, I spent the whole episode wondering where she was or why she didn't even get a token mention. I can understand that AJ was busy and couldn't appear, but they couldn't even have a throw away line that her flight was delayed and it was such a quick wedding she couldn't get there in time? Or have Bill talking to her on the phone? Its just so weird that Lainey is apparently utterly unaware or uninvolved in her own fathers wedding, especially considering how much angst Lainey has about her mom leaving them. 

This episode was at least better than the last few have been, a got a few chuckles and I didn't want to strangle any of the characters, so that is a real improvement from the last few episodes. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The lack of Lainey really did feel super weird, I spent the whole episode wondering where she was or why she didn't even get a token mention. I can understand that AJ was busy and couldn't appear, but they couldn't even have a throw away line that her flight was delayed and it was such a quick wedding she couldn't get there in time?

Maybe the point of Bill having such a spontaneous wedding was an excuse as to why they couldn't make arrangements to get Lainey there in time.  You're right though, they should have given some sort of explanation.  Maybe it's on the cutting room floor.  "Lainey is trapped in the future on Schooled, but that show was cancelled, so we don't know where she is now - maybe in the Quantum Universe".

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 10/24/2020 at 1:57 AM, sheetmoss said:

Speaking of the 80's

David Leisure played the pilot

David Leisure - Wikipedia

David Russell Leisure (born November 16, 1950) is an American actor. He played Charley Dietz in the sitcom Empty Nest from 1988 to 1995 and fictional automotive "pitch man" Joe Isuzu in a series of North American television commercials for Isuzu from 1986 to 1990, and again from 1999 to 2001.

He was in Airplane! as one of the Hare Krishnas. 

• LOL 1

What was episode? I mean they basically brought out all the reasons why the show should just bow out. I mean, no one. NO ONE was in the right at any point. Funny on the letters being real, but Bev talking about divorce? Sorry, starting being more common in the 80s and all of a sudden Bev is a traditionalist? Huh?

• Love 5

I'm utterly bored without much new entertainment lately, but holy mother of all that's holy, what is wrong with these writers? I've fast forwarded every episode this season. If this family actually acted like this in the 80s, they should have all been institutionalized.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Murray killed me, Murray freaking killed me.

The rest of the episode, not as good as Murray.  That's all I can really say.

I agree, Murray was killing it this episode.  I liked how he forgot Adam had a girlfriend right in the middle of a conversation about Adam's girlfriend.  

The rest, meh.  Bev learns a lesson.  AGAIN.  That she will clearly forget by the beginning of the next episode because she's already learned the same lesson 400 times already.  Snooze.  Oh, and by the way, Barry learned a lesson too.  The same lesson he's learned 100 times before.  What is this, an after school special?  Maybe Murray could learn to keep his pants on.

I could see Bev being freaked out about the divorce.  Maybe it was common in the 80s, but if she comes from a family that doesn't have divorce in it, that could certainly affect her perceptions.  And without looking it up, I bet there is some statistical correlation with children of divorce being more likely to get divorces themselves.

I was surprised Brea's mom was played by Brea herself, she did a good job.  I wish I could have seen the note she had written at the end more clearly.  I thought it said something like "1:00 am to 6:00 am, my phone call with Adam".  I couldn't quite make it out.  Maybe somebody has a better TV.  But wow, that's a long phone call.  I remember being a teenager.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

Oh good, Bev and Barry get to learn the same lessons about not being a smother and not being a selfish ass yet again, and will inevitably have to learn them again over and over and over because I am starting to suspect that the Goldburgs are trapped in some kind of time loop, doomed to repeat the same mistakes and learn the same lessons over and over again, forever repeating 1980 something, like a really crappy version of Groundhog Day but with bigger hair.

Murray had a pretty good showing at least. "This kid is pretty clever, he should get a girlfriend." It was also cool to see real Brea and read some of her and Adams very over the top teen romance love letters. I thought Brea was quite good as her mom, I would never have guessed she wasn't a professional actress. The actress playing Brea on the show looks a good amount like her. So that was nice at least. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Oh good, Bev and Barry get to learn the same lessons about not being a smother and not being a selfish ass yet again, and will inevitably have to learn them again over and over and over because I am starting to suspect that the Goldburgs are trapped in some kind of time loop, doomed to repeat the same mistakes and learn the same lessons over and over again, forever repeating 1980 something, like a really crappy version of Groundhog Day but with bigger hair.

Yet they are all getting older! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Any chance we'll see Lainey again this season? 

You know, I've never cared at all about Barry and Lainey's relationship.  But after seeing Lainey on Schooled, and (sort of) enjoying it, I would like to see her on the show again.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

Just last week, Bev planned a wedding for Murray’s friend, WHO WAS DIVORCED. 

Right, the story just felt completely out of place. If this was season 1-3, then you could understand Bev's situation, but at this point, huh?

• Love 1
15 hours ago, alexa said:

This show has definitely gone downhill.  It used to be one of my favorites but it is just not the same anymore.  

It may have gone downhill, but honestly it was never that good.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, rmontro said:

It may have gone downhill, but honestly it was never that good.

There was more energy in the cast and the writing was smarter. Now, it's become recycled stories with just a few progressions and the actors are just phoning it in now. 

• Love 1
On 11/18/2020 at 10:23 PM, readster said:

What was episode? I mean they basically brought out all the reasons why the show should just bow out. I mean, no one. NO ONE was in the right at any point. Funny on the letters being real, but Bev talking about divorce? Sorry, starting being more common in the 80s and all of a sudden Bev is a traditionalist? Huh?

The Barry storyline was the most annoying and divorce was pretty common in the 80’s. Adult Brea was really polished and did well.

JTP should cut off Barry, he truly is a toxic friend.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Taking cues from Fresh Off The Boat....when a show becomes tired. 

Unlike a certain cast member, they don't go swearing on Twitter about how upset they are the show is renewed. They are more like: "Oh good, I can still pay my bills." 

• Love 2

We actually laughed quite a bit at this episode. Then I read a tweet from Adam after the episode. This was actually his story, which explains the funny moments. It's his last story. Unless the writers ask for them, they won't be his stories anymore. My husband and I watch an episode every night before bed and we started over for the 6th time. This show was hilarious in the first 5 seasons. We know them by heart and still laugh our asses off. Adam hasn't been part of the show for 2 years and when we get to seasson 6 and 7, you can tell. I figured they would go till Adam graduates from high school, so hopefully this will be the last season,.

• Love 7

Didn’t like Barry’s storyline. It was too stupid even for his character. I could imagine Murray wanting to get rid of all the phones, but Bev would’ve insisted on one in their bedroom at least. I’m not a fan of syrupy high school romances. Murray forgetting Brea had some good moments and highlighted the episode. And, as always, not enough Pops!

• Love 1
On 11/19/2020 at 12:00 PM, tennisgurl said:

Murray had a pretty good showing at least. "This kid is pretty clever, he should get a girlfriend." It was also cool to see real Brea and read some of her and Adams very over the top teen romance love letters. I thought Brea was quite good as her mom, I would never have guessed she wasn't a professional actress. The actress playing Brea on the show looks a good amount like her. So that was nice at least. 

The real Brea is a professional actress, and a fairly accomplished one:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1538239/

• Useful 6
  • Love 1

I actually got several laughs out of this episode! And it always amuses me that Adam casts his real life exes as the mothers of his character's girlfriends - what are the odds that multiple people from the same Jenkintown high school (who just happened to have dated the show's creator) would be working 30 years later in TV/film in LA? lol

• LOL 3
On 11/23/2020 at 12:39 PM, Robert Lynch said:

I wondered if George Segal is considered a high risk due to pandemic issues and having less screen time.

You might be right. I missed the first half of tonight’s episode, but the camera cuts when Pops, Murray, Bev, and Adam were in the family room were really fast and abrupt. I don’t think any of the people were filmed together. Murray, Bev, and Adam were in scenes together or with others later in the episode, so the director might be making more of an effort to distance George.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

You might be right. I missed the first half of tonight’s episode, but the camera cuts when Pops, Murray, Bev, and Adam were in the family room were really fast and abrupt. I don’t think any of the people were filmed together. Murray, Bev, and Adam were in scenes together or with others later in the episode, so the director might be making more of an effort to distance George.

This is almost certainly what's going on.  Now if they could just convince him to shave that mustache off.

• Love 3

Probably. While the number are actors in this show are ages between their 20s all the way to their 60s or thereabouts, I noticed that George Segal is actually in his 80s, making him the oldest one in that show. In the past, he did have interaction with the kids and adults. With the pandemic, you could tell how much distance is put between him. Definitely had to be a director or actor decision when this show did air. 

• Love 3

So if I'm to understand this past week's episode, the Goldbergs (a Jewish family), have absolutely no experience with bigotry, prejudice or racism.  Also, during the eight years that Adam has been friends with Dave Kim, they've never had one conversation where race came up.  Added to that, Adam didn't even know that racism still existed because apparently his school curriculum has never included one book dealing with racism, nor did he ever watch one of the many "special episodes" in the 80s that was dedicated to it.  🙄   Okay, then.  

• Love 4

The premise of the episode pretty much flies in the face of previous characterization, considering Adam is very aware of their families long history of being the victims of anti Semitism in the Old Country, and he and Dave Kim have talked about racism before (the Sixteen Candles episode stands out) but Adam's terribly simplistic "robots as obvious metaphor for racism and people of color" and silly movie was a pretty hilarious parody of the "very obvious social commentary using magic or aliens or some shit" stories. 

Look, I'm just looking for the grains of good where I can find it, this show is just getting sad in how noticeably the quality has dropped.  

• Love 5