Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

22 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Murray had the best lines this episode.

Out of the Goldbergs, Murray's easily been the most consistently entertaining.  All credit to Jeff Garlin for that.

• Love 5

Adam gleefully watching as the misunderstandings snowballed, instead of setting things straight right from the start, made him such a jerk he made Barry look good for a change. And Brea was no better—she could have said something too. (Yeah, I know, no plot if they’d done that.)

• Love 6
On 5/20/2021 at 8:40 PM, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I still think Dana was the best girlfriend. A lot of that has to do with how natural her scenes with Adam felt, and their scene when they broke up is one of the best the show's ever done. If Adam and Brea broke up, I wouldn't feel anything. Maybe tears of joy, but that's it.

Yeah, and for some reason every time Adam and Brea are onscreen, I keep thinking about how they rewrote real life to have Adam dating the most popular girl in school (I hope I remember that right).  Besides which, Brea has never struck me as a "most popular girl in school" type.  Popular, sure.  Most popular?  I just don't see it.

On 5/21/2021 at 1:42 PM, CarpeFelis said:

Adam gleefully watching as the misunderstandings snowballed, instead of setting things straight right from the start, made him such a jerk he made Barry look good for a change. 

A Goldberg acting like a jerk?  Say it isn't so!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, and for some reason every time Adam and Brea are onscreen, I keep thinking about how they rewrote real life to have Adam dating the most popular girl in school (I hope I remember that right).  Besides which, Brea has never struck me as a "most popular girl in school" type.  Popular, sure.  Most popular?  I just don't see it.

A Goldberg acting like a jerk?  Say it isn't so!

Yeah, from Brea's very first appearance, she was set up as the perfect girl that Adam was able to land with the grace of God. Even Carla was impressed. I could see Brea being very popular in real life, but I don’t know if she would be the most popular. Maybe she goes against the stereotype by being intelligent, hardworking, and personable?

But then there are times where she acts like Adam isn't on her level, or doesn't do anything when people degrade him in front of her so in a way, she is the stereotype. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

Yeah, from Brea's very first appearance, she was set up as the perfect girl that Adam was able to land with the grace of God. Even Carla was impressed. I could see Brea being very popular in real life, but I don’t know if she would be the most popular. Maybe she goes against the stereotype by being intelligent, hardworking, and personable?

But then there are times where she acts like Adam isn't on her level, or doesn't do anything when people degrade him in front of her so in a way, she is the stereotype. 

What does she see in Adam? He can be a selfish jerk and despite what the show is trying to tell us, he is not the "prettiest boy in school".

I think he looks much nerdier now than when the show started.

• Love 1
On 5/23/2021 at 1:50 AM, qtpye said:

What does she see in Adam? He can be a selfish jerk and despite what the show is trying to tell us, he is not the "prettiest boy in school".

I think he looks much nerdier now than when the show started.

That's what I don't know. They don't have anything in common, they both have resentment towards each other on some level, their interactions usually have this strange awkwardness to them. It feels like the show is trying to sell us on this idea that they're the perfect couple when they're easily the worst. Even with Barry and Joanne, at least it's two idiots with a lot of sexual chemistry. Adam and Brea have nothing.

After this season gave us plots like Adam referencing Airplane! while Brea just sits there uninterested, Brea feeling some tension towards Adam for being spoiled and him proving that fact by fucking up at her job, and Adam sabotaging Brea's performance at the play because he couldn't stand her being better than him, I pretty much gave up on their relationship. There's literally nothing to it other than "Brea is this amazing prize that Adam never should have gotten his hands on to begin with." The show doesn't even know why they're together, so why are they?

• Love 6
On 5/21/2021 at 12:42 PM, CarpeFelis said:

Adam gleefully watching as the misunderstandings snowballed, instead of setting things straight right from the start, made him such a jerk he made Barry look good for a change. And Brea was no better—she could have said something too. (Yeah, I know, no plot if they’d done that.)

I found it exhausting and again, Adam being too old for crap like this. At least in my book he is.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Madtown said:

I found it exhausting and again, Adam being too old for crap like this. At least in my book he is.

According to Wikipedia Sean Giambrone will be 22 on May 30th. He could've done a 5th year and still be a college graduate by now. Maybe the show will end before he's eligible to run for Congress?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

This series has been paint by numbers for several years now, but Geoff always reels me back in. Sure the break up plot was always going to be pointless, but at least they tried to acknowledge that Geoff exists to be Erica’s butler and tried to even the dynamic a bit before inevitably revealing that he of course gets the most joy out of living for her. Sam Lerner just does earnest and sincere so well. I love guys who play soft love interests and eat it up every time. Admittedly I have a small crush, haha. Their reunion kiss was a mirror of their first, but it was startling after a year of Covid restrictions. That was a pretty intense make out out of nowhere considering they’ve been seemingly going out of their way to avoid kissing scenes all season. I guess you can’t really celebrate reuniting with the love of your life with a pandemic-approved peck. 

Usually I hate shows ending, but I was actually disheartened to hear about the renewal, mostly because I am dreading them finally being forced to acknowledge George Segal’s death in the show, but also because Erica getting engaged was a clear ending point. Also, I think they are going to force Adam to wait to graduate high school until the series finale, but he just went to senior prom, which is about 4 to 6 weeks until graduation. So assuming next season will be the last, is it all going to take place over a month? Lol. Honestly it might be more interesting to watch him make movies in college. Sean will be 25 playing a high school senior at this rate. 

Johnny Atkins and Matt Bradley are consistently great.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/30/2021 at 10:27 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

So assuming next season will be the last

Don’t get your hopes up. Blackish is ending next year and so I doubt they are going to end both of them the same year. I see The Goldbergs going through Season 10 and Adam getting a year of college. Remember the real Adam, who vowed to end the series with his HS graduation, isn’t in charge anymore. They will likely announce the final season ahead of time.

Edited by nelroy78
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

Don’t get your hopes up. Blackish is ending next year and so I doubt they are going to end both of them the same year. I see The Goldbergs going through Season 10 and Adam getting a year of college. Remember the real Adam, who vowed to end the series with his HS graduation, isn’t in charge anymore. They will likely announce the final season ahead of time.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/the-goldbergs-the-blacklist-final-season-end-the-good-doctor-get-spinoff-sony-tv-1234763518/

On Sept. 23 and 24, 2013, over two consecutive nights, Sony Pictures TV launched two broadcast series that would go the distance, NBC’s The Blacklist and ABC’s The Goldbergs. Both were recently renewed by their respective networks for a ninth season, with no indication in that announcement that these would the shows’ final seasons.

“Our hope is that both series would continue,” Sony Pictures TV Studios President Jeff Frost told Deadline during a series of interviews with studio toppers focused on the 2021 upfronts. “There has been no conversation about it being the final season for (The Goldbergs or The Blacklist). We haven’t gone into this being the final season; our hope is that there will be many more seasons of both shows.
Both The Goldbergs and The Blacklist have spawned one spinoff that went to series with Schooled and The Blacklist: Redemption. Frost does not rule out further offshoots. “Anything is possible, let’s see how the next season does but anything is possible.”

If they're planning on "many more seasons," then it could possibly extend beyond a tenth.

Ugh.

1 minute ago, queta said:

I didn't like the episode, either. This is the last time I watched the show. I think it's the worst show I've ever seen. The whole saccharine endings just make it worse. If I had a family like that I would move across the world to a place without phones or internet access.