Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: The Tipping Point

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, nexxie said:

Candiace has a habit of getting in people’s faces and yapping over and over about insignificant things (like Monique falling asleep) or things that are none of her business (like Ashley’s marriage). Plus, the knives - way out of line.

so this was more provoking that Robyn laughingly and tauntingly telling Monique to go ahead and do something when Monique threatened to choke her out?

ALL of these women stay in each others business......that is the entire premise of this show.  And Ashley is BY FAR the worst offender.....way, way, way worse than Candace.  How many times did she have to be asked, told and finally yelled at to stay out of Robyn's marriage and finances.  Ashley was up in Robyn's finances before she ever had any real conversation with her at all.  

Gizelle stays in all of Karen's business.  It was no ones business really if Karen lived in a guest house, a main house, was renting the house, leasing the house or owned the house.  It was none of their business, but they all got into it anyways.  

Monique was up in Karens business.

Monique put herself in Gizelle's relationship, which was none of her business.

It really feels like grasping at straws to single out Candace as problematic because she is up in other castmates business.  The butter knife is also a huge stretch, as is saying that Candace had any intention with the knife she used to clink a glass and get everyone's attention.  

Candace did that in response to Ashley asking if she and Monique were good.  And, to me, Candace was trying to mend fences with only mild shade when she said that she loved Monique, even though Monique had pretended to be asleep when she tried to say goodbye at the lake house.  If Monique can't handle that, she really is in the wrong business and doesn't belong on a reality show. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I'm not going to keep going on this because it doesn't seem fruitful but it just seems to me like when you're saying:

"Bottom line is if I were friends with Monique, and things went bad, I might get my hair pulled because Monique is pissed at something I did. But if I were friends with Candiace, I might get betrayed for no reason, or for Candiace's own amusement or so Candiace can better her own position at my expense. One seems so much worse to me. Shrug."

...you are reaching really, really hard to find a way to defend Monique. That was your original argument and you may not think it, but it does read to me like "Monique was wrong but..." It reads less like "I am interested in the nuances of their relationship" (and I have already stated that I think that they both contributed to their falling out) to "well, it may look like Monique is the one at fault here but really, what she didn't isn't that bad and in fact, Monique is the real victim."  But I guess we're going to have to get into the "we just don't agree" territory. 

I'm not sure why me saying what I think (in earlier posts) is not sufficient proof of what I actually think.  Like I'm secretly out here working for the "pro violence against women" lobby? Covertly making my case by posting things that kind of seem like maybe I'm defending hair pulling as a way to problem solve? I've said, in every post, that Monique was wrong.  And if I thought Monique's actions were defensible, I'd come right out and say so.  

But I don't believe that because Monique was wrong, that makes Candiace right. Candiace didn't physically assault, but she did engage in some emotional abuse, imo. Of course that doesn't mean she "deserved it". These are separate issues, with one side more worthy of discussion on a forum designed to discuss what happens on tv shows, imo. One side of the discussion is more interesting to me, as a student of human nature, simply because there's nothing to "discuss" or debate about assault: it's wrong.  Emotional abuse amongst HWs tho? That's an often unaddressed topic that's worthy of some examination. 

I'm also not trying to win (or even have) an argument; I'm just posting my own thoughts about what I see on the show.

I would 100% choose Monique as a friend over Candiace because I think Candiace has a shady side, which I don't like in friends.  

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, Jel said:

I'm not sure why me saying what I think (in earlier posts) is not sufficient proof of what I actually think.  Like I'm secretly out here working for the "pro violence against women" lobby? Covertly making my case by posting things that kind of seem like maybe I'm defending hair pulling as a way to problem solve? I've said, in every post, that Monique was wrong.  And if I thought Monique's actions were defensible, I'd come right out and say so.  

But I don't believe that because Monique was wrong, that makes Candiace right. Candiace didn't physically assault, but she did engage in some emotional abuse, imo. Of course that doesn't mean she "deserved it". These are separate issues, with one side more worthy of discussion on a forum designed to discuss what happens on tv shows, imo. One side of the discussion is more interesting to me, as a student of human nature, simply because there's nothing to "discuss" or debate about assault: it's wrong.  Emotional abuse amongst HWs tho? That's an often unaddressed topic that's worthy of some examination. 

I'm also not trying to win (or even have) an argument; I'm just posting my own thoughts about what I see on the show.

I would 100% choose Monique as a friend over Candiace because I think Candiace has a shady side, which I don't like in friends.  

What was the emotional abuse Candace leveled at Monique?

I can scroll back, but its always like finding a needle in a haystack for me.

As for Monique, she is 100% shady, so you have to watch your wig, and your back around her.

1. She brought Kendyll around to interfere with Gizelle's relationship, even though Gizelle thought that their issues had been buried

2. She publicly showed Ashley her text message exchange with Candace.  People can say it was in response to Candace telling Ashley that Monique was talking crap.  But everyone, including Ashley, would realize that showing someone a few text messages where you didn't talk shit doesn't mean you didn't talk shit, it just means you didn't do so in those text exchanges.  So, the REAL reason for Monique to show Ashley those messages was to put Candace on blast and cause a rift between her and Ashley.

3. She tried to conspire, at the start of the season, to freeze Candace out.  

4. She talks like a friend to Candace when they are speaking privately, but when they get around the other women, Monique flip flops and goes in on Candace so that she can get in good with Gizelle, Robyn and Ashley.  

5. If Charisse is to be believed, she simply used her to get in better with the Potomac elite.  

I don't know why Monique gets this reputation for being so "real" when she does some very shady stuff. 

6 hours ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

Agreed. I get a lot of flack for this myself. I'm an attorney. I am not marrying someone who is not comparable.

Ugh, I feel this sentiment so much.  Thank you for making me feel like I'm not nuts.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
25 minutes ago, sATL said:

I don't watch all of the RHO* /Married Medicine franchises closely  - but there has been a bout on the few I do watch...

• Married to Medicine ATL - Toya vs. Mariah poolside bout in evening gowns with  clutch handbags
  • RHONJ - Ashley vs. Danielle, Joe vs Joe
  • I'm sure someone was swinging at hair and air on RHOA after all of these years. Didn't something happen at a reunion show that had Andy in the middle? That bunch run hot on every topic there is - saying the sun rose the wrong way is grounds for a good old fashioned playground ass-kicking.
  • give me a minute to think of match on Married to Medicine LA....

No one signs up to be in the next title match , but the probability sure goes up if you do...

I think it was because they were holding themselves to the standard of this franchise does not do that.. and up until this season it hadn’t 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

We disagree on a lot but IMO the bolded is where we disagree most fundamentally. A base, action-reaction, childish reaction is Porsha going after Kenya because Kenya had a bullhorn in her face. Also inexcusable (and she was rightly forced to go to anger management classes for it) but not IMO a cold desire to actually do physical harm. 

Monique would not let go after several minutes and people pulling her off of Candiace. Monique was insisting on going back out, even when production was physically trying to restrain her. Monique was still pursuing Candiace, until again, production had to physically restrain her. At some point the "action-reaction" excuse for her falls apart when it was clear that she was absolutely rational and aware of her actions. It's just that she really wanted to see Candiace actually hurt. It didn't matter to her that she had several people on her, pulling her off and telling her to let go because hurting Candiace was more important to her - even though she must have seen that no one in the place was going to let her actually hit, gouge, or do whatever it is that she wanted to do to Candiace.

IMO, it's easy to say "Monique was wrong but..." There is no but. Monique was wrong. Monique not only showed no remorse in the immediate aftermath, she continued to try to attack her, and she no more remorseful the next day. I don't blame Candiace for pressing charges.  I would have, too, and I would similarly say that I will not be in the same room with that person again. 

I agree, and I think thats why my gut, visceral reaction was that Monique was like a rabid pit bull.  If you've ever seen, or heard of how a pitbull attacks, its like they clamp on, their jaw locks and THEY WON'T LET GO.  You can't really distract them away, because they are so focused on the target of their attack.  They are so laser focused on the attack.  Monique wouldn't let her go, in spite of everyone trying to pry her away, in spite of anyone telling her to stop, she wouldn't let go.  And that is very scary to me.  

I don't like to split hairs when it comes to physical violence, but at least with the Porsha/Kenya thing at the reunion, it was over in a second and I'm not sure anyone had to intercede to get Porsha to stop.  

Monique didn't respond to people physically pulling her away, or yelling at her to stop, she was insane and laser focused.  And even after being put in a backroom, given time to consider what she had done, she STILL wanted to physically attack Candace.  And even after being put back into a room with the other women after Candace left, she threatened to kill her if she was brought around her again.  

And I totally agree with the point that there is no "but" here.  What it comes off as is people trying to make Candace and Monique equally culpable for Monique's violent and off the wall reaction.  

• Love 11
21 hours ago, byrd said:

Well if you think that was the worst  then obviously you did not see Porsha Williams drag Kenya Moore all the way across the floor by her hair. or Evelyn Lozada from Basketball wives jump from a table top to attack someone or Theresa Gudice turn over a table.  Emotion run very high on these show..

Lol !!!

I saw Porsha’s attack on Kenya. It was bad but there were a few big differences to me:

One, the attack didn’t seem to last as long. It may have been edited that way but it appeared shorter. Producers were able to break it up. Porsha didn’t have the death grip on Kenya that Monique had on Candiace. 

Two, Porsha was very remorseful and embarrassed right after. I remember her saying, “I can’t believe I did that” or something like that and crying. Conversely, Monique was calm, not remorseful and even tried to justify her behavior, both right after the incident and days later.

Three, Porsha seemed hysterical and really emotional whereas Monique had an odd flat effect to their demeanor, which made her behavior even more chilling to me. Not saying emotional is better but it does suggest that she lost control in the heat of the moment. Perhaps it’s the same with Monique but her demeanor was psycho-scary to me.

Four, Monique tried to run back to Candiace after she had been pulled off her. 

Also, Porsha was held accountable for her behavior at least immediately after. She wasn’t on the rest of the reunion shows and wasn’t a cast member at the start of the next season. (I’m watching old episodes on Hulu and haven’t seen past S7, EP1. She wasn’t on the opening credits for that one. She did appear as a friend. Maybe she comes back later. I don’t know.)

Monique should be off this show. She is frightening to me. I would not want to film with her at all. 

And I can’t believe Candiace’s wig didn’t come off! Or is it a weave that’s sewn in? Perhaps that is why. Impressive! 

I fast-forwarded and missed Gizelle’s Dad’s comments. Will have to go back and watch. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
Realreality you beat me it!
  • Love 9
28 minutes ago, RealReality said:

I don't like to split hairs when it comes to physical violence, but at least with the Porsha/Kenya thing at the reunion, it was over in a second and I'm not sure anyone had to intercede to get Porsha to stop.  

Monique didn't respond to people physically pulling her away, or yelling at her to stop, she was insane and laser focused.  And even after being put in a backroom, given time to consider what she had done, she STILL wanted to physically attack Candace.  And even after being put back into a room with the other women after Candace left, she threatened to kill her if she was brought around her again.  

After the Porsha/Kenya fight, I believe that Porsha knew she had done wrong.  I don't believe she got on social media defending herself, Monique was defending herself last night. 

Two things bothered me.

1. Monique would NOT let go of Candiace even after she was told to "let go of her" more than once.

2. After the fight was over and Candiace was being put into the SUV, Monique came back outside.  Why?  To fight some more?  That was NOT the move of a functional adult. 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 15

What was Monique's end game as she chased Candiace outside? Was she going to beat her to death and talk about it on her podcast? The scene in the kitchen between M and Chris was priceless as he realized he's married to Gone Girl.

• LOL 15
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, Double A said:

What was Monique's end game as she chased Candiace outside? Was she going to beat her to death and talk about it on her podcast? The scene in the kitchen between M and Chris was priceless as he realized he's married to Gone Girl.

IMO, her end game was absolutely to see that Candiace suffer some kind of bodily harm. It was chilling, especially because at some level, Monique must have known that production wasn't going to let that happen. But that wasn't going to deter her. 

Unrelated to Monique/Candiace and re the comments here on the board about Robyn - I honestly think she is one of the most striking of all of the housewives of all of the shows. She's truly naturally incredibly beautiful. Too bad she's still hung up on her ex-husband, though. 

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Double A said:

What was Monique's end game as she chased Candiace outside? Was she going to beat her to death and talk about it on her podcast? 

Right?  The more I think about it, the more bizarre it is.  

EVEN IF Monique thought she was right and fully justified in physically assaulting Candace, by the time she was taken into the backroom at the winery she knew that EVERYONE ELSE thought she was wrong and that this incident would be terrible for the image she has been carefully trying to cultivate and the social circles she is trying to get into.  

How did she not realize that she was going to make things look 100x worse if she had tried to sneak around security and production and hurt Candace after a physical separation.  

And I have to LOL at Monique claiming that she doesn't care about image when she has done all she can this season to protect her image against rumors of impropriety with her trainer.  If her marriage was the only thing that mattered, it would only matter what Chris thought she did with the trainer, not the rest of the world  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ladle said:

I thought it was really interesting that the episode briefly gave some of the women the platform to meta-discuss the fight in the context of Black women's representation.  

I'm not a fan of that because as I have stated earlier this is not the first franchise where a physical altercation took place. The "we aren't those kinds of Black women" type of points made by some of the cast in media reek of classism, respectability politics and internalized anti-blackness ("Don't act up. White people can see us.")

There is space in 2020 for these housewives to be as shady and awful as the characters in any other franchise. In general, some black people need to wake up and realize that the racists don't care what you do, how pretty you are or how well you speak, you are still inferior. Stop trying to earn being viewed with full humanity from people who have no interest in ever seeing it in you.

Monique's actions have nothing to do with any other black woman. Anyone who cannot see that is unworthy of conversation or consideration.

Edited by red12
  • Useful 1
  • Love 19
4 minutes ago, Boofish said:

I have done things at the moment I didnt regret and justified for years. Years and maturity helped me with self awareness. Monique not having immediate regret seems very real and unfortunately relateable.

She's still defending herself one year later. That's a character issue.

• Love 13
20 hours ago, charming said:

I felt bad for Gizelle's Dad! Damn, you never know when the producers will air the hot mic footage. I can't blame him for not supporting the relationship. I didn't realize Jamal cheated on Gizelle before they even got married and then her Dad didn't go to the wedding. I don't understand the hold Jamal has over her.  He's not even cute like Juan. 

I was really surprised that Gizelle wants to go back to Jamal.  I think he is just full of shit and disgusting.  How do people follow a pastor and donate money to a man having sex outside of marriage.  The whole thing with the restaurant was ridiculous.  If he already owned the restaurant, he must have realized that adding some B list celebrity to the mix might help sales.  

• Love 17

I agree with the sentiments that Robyn is the chill housewife that every franchise needs. I think she is beautiful, and also has the ability to turn up. I basically see her as the Cynthia of rhop. Cynthia is my favorite housewife, but I have not connected with Robyn the same way. Maybe it's because she is so closely aligned with GIzelle, who is not my favorite.

Today, it was interesting to see:

1. Candiace on Wendy. I was surprised when she said that after the altercation, she saw a way for her to forgive Monique if she showed remorse after the altercation. It was also interesting that she said that the two Chris's spoke to each other a few weeks ago, but she would not elaborate on the nature of their conversation. She also said that when they have had problems in the past, the two Chris's attempted to solve it.

2. Monique did a Q&A and seemed to be more remorseful than she has been. She also filmed her WWHL episode today, so she's likely seen episode 10 already. We will see how that goes. She also promises more growth this season, which is in contrast to Candiace's answer to Wendy's question when she asked if she could see the two reconciling, to which Candiace responsded, watch the rest of the season and ask me that again. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
55 minutes ago, Boofish said:

I have done things at the moment I didnt regret and justified for years. Years and maturity helped me with self awareness. Monique not having immediate regret seems very real and unfortunately relateable.

I agree that its sometimes easier to justify your behavior and excuse it rather than taking a hard look in the mirror.  However, I think you have to look at age and infraction.  Snapping and going off verbally on someone....okay.  Doing some questionable shit in your 20s.....okay.  

But a woman in her 30's who physically assaulted another woman because she was annoying?  And then calmly going down a set of stairs, out of a door and trying to charge the car so you could physically assault her again?  Telling everyone else that you'd kill her if she came around you again?  That's a bit beyond the pale for me.  But then again, I think past your 20s you should be mature enough not to physically assault anyone being annoying.  

And then again, as I said earlier, I don't think what Candace did was any worse than what Robyn did.  The biggest difference is that Robyn is tall, athletic and popular and Candace is short, small and perceived as annoying.  So Candace makes a much easier victim than Robyn.  

• Love 8
23 hours ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about any of this other stuff they're showing? Ashley and Michael--NO. Karen and Ray--NO. Gizelle and her children--NO. Robyn and Wendy have since disappeared. The convo between Gizelle and her dad was good. Otherwise, this is so boring following such a crazy start. 

I kind of care about Gizelle’s dad on the hot mic.  Ooooh...

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

Monique is very immature. If I were Candiace I would be very upset and try to run after Monique. After all of that Gizelle and Robyn are still not cool with Monique smh. I feel bad for Monique's husband,he seems like a nice guy. Gizelle's ex husband Jamal seems so flakey "they have many rivers to cross" before him proposing again? Haha he really thinks he's a prize. Monique needs to be off the show. Maybe she could go on Basketball Wives haha. She should be crying,Gizelle still don't f*ck with you LOL.

Michael seems smart lol I think Ashley thinks she can outsmart him when it comes to his "money" lol. He probably obviously knows Ashley wants his money lol. She's very pretty but kind of dumb.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ladle said:

I thought it was really interesting that the episode briefly gave some of the women the platform to meta-discuss the fight in the context of Black women's representation

1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I think it was because they were holding themselves to the standard of this franchise does not do that.. and up until this season it hadn’t 

RHOP was never intended to be a Housewives franchise to begin with.  It was supposed to be about affluent African American women with children in Jack & Jill.  When this show is over, the organizations, sororities and charitable boards they're on will still exist and they'll still have to deal with these people.  This cast was never supposed to be fist fighting like animals; that's why Wendy said "I didn't sign up for this."

That's why Chris wants Monique to be mindful of her image.  But she told him she didn't care (which is not true, she cares very much how she is seen).

1 hour ago, RealReality said:

1 hour ago, Sweet-tea said:

Two, Porsha was very remorseful and embarrassed right after. I remember her saying, “I can’t believe I did that” or something like that and crying.

I rewatched the Porsha/Kenya fight. Porsha didn't turn up to 1000 until Kenya accused her of cheating on Kordell.  After Porsha called Kenya a slut from the 90s, Kenya yells into the bullhorn YOU ARE A DUMB HO and that's when Porsha jumps up.  Somebody got in between them but Porsha snatched Kenya's wig and dragged her to the ground.  A producer and Nene broke them up.  Everyone was comforting Porsha, who was crying that she was sorry and she couldn't believe she embarrassed herself like that.  Nobody checked on Kenya, who left in a huff with Miss Lawrence.

In contrast, after Candiace was hustled away, Monique told her castmates twice they better not bring Candiace around again or she would kill her.  Even if she didn't have any remorse about whipping Candiace's ass, she had ZERO remorse about how she was seen.  That's a problem.

and that this incident would be terrible for the image she has been carefully trying to cultivate and the social circles she is trying to get into. 

That's why she should've never fallen out with Charrisse, because I don't think Charrisse grew up with a silver spoon in her mouth, she's also from Jersey and she could've shown her how to work these women while staying true to herself.

28 minutes ago, red12 said:

The "we aren't those kinds of Black women" type of points made by some of the cast in media reek of classism, respectability politics and internalized anti-blackness ("Don't act up. White people can see us.")

If they don't want to be seen as fighting violent black people or be around other black people that are fighting and violent, that's their business and it doesn't matter what or how white people see them as.

15 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

How do people follow a pastor and donate money to a man having sex outside of marriage.

They do it all day every day.  When Jerry Falwell Jr. steps back into the limelight they'll forget his poolboy escapades and act like it never happened.

She also said that when they have had problems in the past, the two Chris's attempted to solve it.

The two Chris' need to forge their own friendship and leave their wives out of it.

I don't think Monique and Candiace need to reconcile.  On Monique's end, she doesn't trust Candiace and on Candiace's end, she shouldn't trust Monique.  They need to leave each other alone and move on.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Double A said:

Seeing as I've compared Monique to CT from RW: Paris and The Challenge, I've got to assume that Monique's goal was a lot like CT's during his iconic fight with Adam. When asked if he wanted to kill Adam, CT in the middle of his berserker rage said something like "Yes! I want to beat his face in, eat his brains, and piss in skull because I win every fight." A 15 minute attempt to cool off CT didn't work either.

https://youtu.be/fcF7feqQOQE

I wish I could find a better version of the back half of that fight.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Seeing as I've compared Monique to CT from RW: Paris and The Challenge, I've got to assume that Monique's goal was a lot like CT's during his iconic fight with Adam. When asked if he wanted to kill Adam, CT in the middle of his berserker rage said something like "Yes! I want to beat his face in, eat his brains, and piss in skull because I win every fight." A 15 minute attempt to cool off CT didn't work either.

Omg, I remember preteen me watching this live. Thanks for the throwback memory. I used to love The Challenge. 

18 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

36 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

If they don't want to be seen as fighting violent black people or be around other black people that are fighting and violent, that's their business and it doesn't matter what or how white people see them as.

Thank you for this. I identify 100% with Gizelle, Robyn and Wendy’s embarrassment. As a fellow Black woman, I wouldn’t want to be around this either. Has nothing to be with white and everything to do with the reputation I have built for myself that doesn’t include violence. I imagine these women feel the same, especially Wendy who spends half of her career advocating for Black people on Faux News. 

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Oh my gosh, I remember watching this for the first time and being in total disbelief that CT was behaving like this. He was grown SO MUCH since then, you almost forget this happened. I loved that CT and Adam became friends again on the rivals season. I was thinking there was no hope for Monique and Candiace, but seeing this again, that 0% became 5% haha. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, drivethroo said:

RHOP was never intended to be a Housewives franchise to begin with.  It was supposed to be about affluent African American women with children in Jack & Jill.  When this show is over, the organizations, sororities and charitable boards they're on will still exist and they'll still have to deal with these people.  This cast was never supposed to be fist fighting like animals; that's why Wendy said "I didn't sign up for this."

She's on a trashy reality show. Yes, she did.

Edited by StillHere
typo
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

Monique was completely in the wrong but the reason I will never like Candiace was her in the car saying to Chris that she will talk all damn day but she would never put her hands on someone which is bullshit. Monique needs to handle her shit and not assault people but Candiace doesn’t get an award for knowingly pushing and hurting people with her words. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

Thank you for this. I identify 100% with Gizelle, Robyn and Wendy’s embarrassment. As a fellow Black woman, I wouldn’t want to be around this either.

I'm white but I would never consider Monique losing it a reflection on black women.  I think this is a case of (in all franchises), co-workers provoking their cast mates into the RED ZONE.  I'm not a RH historian but in the Portia/Kenya altercation, I think Kenya was completely obnoxious with that bull horn (I thought it was a scepter or something) and Portia had finally had it.  RED ZONE.  As a viewer, I had had it as well.

With Monique and Candace, they have a volatile history.  Monique aggressively asks Candace to quit waiving her finger in Monique's face, it doesn't stop, Monique starts flipping her hair, this is turning red, somebody grabs at Monique, she reaches for Candace who then hits her face with a wine glass.  Full on RED ZONE.   Like road rage, (also RED ZONE) alcohol never helps.

I'm going to say it, I think Candace shares some of the blame.  She was warned to get her finger out of Monique's face and she didn't.  

My husband was a Safety Officer in the Air Force in one of his jobs.  With aircraft accident investigations, there is a general chain of events leading to the accident  (unless it is something like a wing falling off or something like that).  In other words, there were a series of things/actions, if handled differently, would have prevented the accident.  

If either Monique or Candace had been in better spirits and lighter/less aggressive, this wouldn't have happened.  I believe if one of the other women had jumped in earlier with something nice and light (Monique, I hate to interrupt but I'm not sure I thanked you enough for the weekend at your house, I would love to kayak again) (Candace, you don't have to be a mom to understand bone-tiredness; I'm sure you've felt that way with your extremely successful pageant career, the mimosas had me bonked out on the drive home--thank goodness for the drivers), it wouldn't have happened.  Or even, ladies, while Ashley is away from the table, let's not squabble about sleeping, we need to come together to figure out how we can help Ashley.  That is the most important thing right now.

I don't know where the concept of grace has gone. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, laprin said:

I think Gizelle misses being taken care of by a man. Jamal is the only man she has dated, other than Sherman, with the financial means to support her and her daughters (that we’ve seen). I think she wants security beyond being on RHOP. By the way, what’s going on with her Every Hue makeup line? She hardly talks about it anymore. 

Jamal has neither the interest nor the means to take care of Gizelle. He has many children by many women and was recently caught trying to scam his congregation and other members of the African American community by charging them for Corona Virus testing which should have been free.

https://newsone.com/3922941/pastor-jamal-bryant-coronavirus-testing-controversy/

At this point, she is much more financially and emotionally sound than he is.

13 hours ago, BloggerAloud said:

I think everybody knows that this reunion is just so Gizelle can have a storyline, that's why everybody around it is being so honest about how ain't shit Jamal is. The daughters don't see it for him, the Dad dislikes him, and that's why the other cast members are always shadily asking where Jamal is at all these functions because they know this stuff ain't real.

Yep, Jamal is like the season that Kenya made up dating an African Prince on RHOA

12 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

My take away on this episode is this:

Ashley is telling Michael that she will soon be out of there so let's get the paperwork started, he is in full agreement.

Monique's PR team should have had her on the first plane to some spa for a detox and mindful whatever leaving behind a note to Candiace and the other housewives apologizing and asking for their prayers while she tries to better herself.

I find it interesting that Ashley was in the ladies room the whole time the fight was going on,  she sounded oddly fake when she was asking what had happened.

Jamal says he bought the restaurant for his girls, if I were Gizelle I would have asked to see the paperwork. They go to Atlanta to see the place, there are about ten customers in the place (it could have been an in between time for meals) they all cruise thru the kitchen sans hair nets...the next day there is a large crowd for the rebranding, does Gizelle not know what a friends and family opening is, nobody was paying for their meal, typically they try to work out issues with a new menu or what have you also they all wanted to see Jamal, Gizelle and kids so yes, there was a crowd of pre selected people.  Did we ever learn what changes were made to a corporate restaurant that sets the menus, hiring structures, pricing, decor, etc...

Father Gizelle and kids are not really feeling Jamal and Mom getting back together, Gizelle knows it and is forcing the one big happy family scenario for the sake of a story line.  Her house looks awful and she has too much stuff, everywhere.

What did Jamal do for his other children that would ensure a good work ethic, legacy, what have you?

Karen and Ray will be fine, clearly all he wants is a home cooked meal now and then. Was Karen taking the price stickers off of the pots and pans before the chef came over?  She should Blue Apron or some other kind of meal kit,  Ray would think she is a rock star in the kitchen.  

It is embarrassing for everyone involved. I feel bad for those girls and the now unemployed people who used to work at that restaurant.

11 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I don't know what the heck Monique was doing with her trainer while not actually "training", but damn - whatever they're doing while she's working out must be working. 

She's pretty strong if she was able to hold onto Candiace's hair while four big guys and Karen tried to separate them.  

Monique is beautiful and slender, so people take for granted how long and strong she is. On top of that, she is rich enough to get things like private Jujitsu lessons from her trainer....making her quite formidable in a fight. She probably could stomp any housewife in any franchise, with the exception of Robyn, who is also quite long and strong. 

10 hours ago, Boofish said:

Gizelle proves the old adage - no matter how gorgeous a woman is somewhere out there is a man tired of putting up with her shit 🤣. I mean girl - Jamal?? There is a part of me that just pities her. Jamal? 🤣 Jamal ranks amongst the top 10 worse men across the Housewives franchise ever. Jamal 🤣. Giiiirrrllll.

My grandmother always said preachers and prostitutes are the best sales people in the world - you get to keep what you sell and sell it over and over again. Jamal 🤣🤣🤣

7 hours ago, Boofish said:

Ditto. Robyn is the most relatable and my favorite across all franchises actually. 

I think Potomac is my favorite because it sort of gears away from the "uber rich" lifestyle these shows moved towards for years. In the beginning with the NYC, the OC and Atlanta, the ladies had money but not all them were living la vita Dorita .. and it slowly moved into too rich territory and quickly became less entertaining (at least for my taste.) These women obviously have money but it's not to a point where I can't relate.

2 hours ago, Emmeline said:

I was really surprised that Gizelle wants to go back to Jamal.  I think he is just full of shit and disgusting.  How do people follow a pastor and donate money to a man having sex outside of marriage.  The whole thing with the restaurant was ridiculous.  If he already owned the restaurant, he must have realized that adding some B list celebrity to the mix might help sales.  

I agree that its sometimes easier to justify your behavior and excuse it rather than taking a hard look in the mirror.  However, I think you have to look at age and infraction.  Snapping and going off verbally on someone....okay.  Doing some questionable shit in your 20s.....okay.  

But a woman in her 30's who physically assaulted another woman because she was annoying?  And then calmly going down a set of stairs, out of a door and trying to charge the car so you could physically assault her again?  Telling everyone else that you'd kill her if she came around you again?  That's a bit beyond the pale for me.  But then again, I think past your 20s you should be mature enough not to physically assault anyone being annoying.  

And then again, as I said earlier, I don't think what Candace did was any worse than what Robyn did.  The biggest difference is that Robyn is tall, athletic and popular and Candace is short, small and perceived as annoying.  So Candace makes a much easier victim than Robyn.  

That's why Chris wants Monique to be mindful of her image.  But she told him she didn't care (which is not true, she cares very much how she is seen).

Someone upthread was talking about respectability politics. There was a sense that this was going to be like Atlanta but much more classy, since Atlanta was the most popular franchise and both shows had predominantly African American casts.

It was not great for me that the first season, with the exception of Charisse, only cast light skinned or mixed race women, but I though heck...it's a howife show...it ain't that serious.

It now seems like they only cast Charisse to get some basketball connections and that went away with her husband.

So when Monique walked in, she was like a breathe of fresh air.

Not only was she beautiful but she did not boast of any type of pedigreed or privileged background like a lot of other women in the cast. She also had real money, a husband that seemed to adore her, and a lovely family.

I think Gizelle is very colorist and can not believe that Monique has all the wonderful things in life that are usually reserved for women with Gizelle's phenotype.

I also think Robyn does herself a great disservice by being Gizelle's lap dog because I do not think she has any of these colorist issues nor do I think she is jealous of Monique. Sadly, Robyn is happy with Juan and of course, her two sons.

The problem is that Monique has this thing with her in that she seems to not mind getting physical in the name of "keeping it real".  Monique, do you think Michelle Obama goes around trying to drag all those people who are jealous of her success and try to bring her down? No, Michelle Obama is pure class....all day and everyday.

Also, Michelle Obama is the first to admit that she is not perfect. Monique, you are not perfect and stop trying to keep up with this "Not For Lazy Moms" bullshit. It is literally going to drive you crazy.

Monique needs to apologize and go in for counseling. Sometimes the strongest thing you can do is admit that you were dead wrong.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Also, Michelle Obama is the first to admit that she is not perfect.

If you are speaking of First Ladies, I beg to differ.  I probably remember this because I am sure I am much older than you are.  Betty Ford founded an addiction center in San Diego (I believe).  I was in high school/college and I think she admitted she was addicted to pain killers/alcohol.  Barbra Bush (G.H.W.B's wife) was very self-deprecating.  She spoke about her gray hair, gaining and losing weight, etc., and I found her very charming.  Ms. Obama has much to be proud of, for sure.

This is my favorite RH franchise and I keep watching fewer and fewer of them.  Regardless, if Monique leaves, it wouldn't kill the franchise for me.  If she stays, it wouldn't kill the franchise for me.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, albarino said:

If you are speaking of First Ladies, I beg to differ

Being the “first to admit” is a turn of phrase it, it does not literally mean it was the first person to do something. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 12

I see a lot of commentary that the cast of RHOP is very colorist, and while that may be, I think the viewers of RHOP are also colorist.  I know a lot of viewers did not like RHOP from the beginning because most of the cast was light skinned and/or biracial and they didn't feel it was a true representation of black women.  I think if we do start discussing Gizelle's colorism or Monique's colorism or whoever's, the viewership's colorism needs to be examined too.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Being the “first to admit” is a turn of phrase it, it does not literally mean it was the first person to do something.

Huh?  If isn't meant literally, what does it mean?  18th to admit?  Seriously, what does "first to admit" mean other than first to admit?

Just now, albarino said:

Huh?  If isn't meant literally, what does it mean?  18th to admit?  Seriously, what does "first to admit" mean other than first to admit?

The poster said Michelle Obama was the first to admit SHE wasn’t perfect and it’s an extremely common idiom that simply means that the person is acknowledging something. Nowhere jn the post was it implied that Michelle Obama was the only First Lady to acknowledge her faults.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The poster said Michelle Obama was the first to admit SHE wasn’t perfect and it’s an extremely common idiom that simply means that the person is acknowledging something. Nowhere jn the post was it implied that Michelle Obama was the only First Lady to acknowledge her faults.

I'm an editor so we will have to agree to disagree.  I would edit this in my documents because it isn't true.  This isn't "the moon is cheese."  I've said my piece and I can let it go. You see the phrase differently?  We're good.

• LOL 2
6 minutes ago, albarino said:

I'm an editor so we will have to agree to disagree.  I would edit this in my documents because it isn't true.  This isn't "the moon is cheese."  I've said my piece and I can let it go. You see the phrase differently?  We're good.

Even though it’s extremely common and  easily googleable phrase, you still misinterpreted the poster’s wording since she said Michelle Obama admitted her faults not that no one else has ever not admitted their faults. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, albarino said:

I will be the first to admit that (I was wrong)= I will not hesitate to say that, I will not deny that (I was wrong)

idiom

It does not mean that I am the first person in the world to say that I am wrong.

It means that you fully understand that you're responsible and are not deluding yourself.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 13
17 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I will be the first to admit that (I was wrong)= I will not hesitate to say that, I will not deny that (I was wrong)

idiom

It does not mean that I am the first person in the world to say that I am wrong.

It means that you fully understand that you're responsible and are not deludin

OUT

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Ray does still seem to like Karen at the very least, and he seems to still be committed to the relationship even if he isn't "in love" with her right now. It seems he just wants to still feel needed in his retirement years, and I think that's pretty understandable. They don't seem like they are unrepairable...yet.

See, that's a red flag to me, and I didn't blame Karen for being hurt by it. If my husband said that he "thinks" he's in love with me, and he had no plans to fix that, I'd be looking up divorce attorneys on Yelp. He was "in love" with Karen 20 years ago when she had nothing professional going on. Now that she's gaining some independence, he turns cold. Not telling her that he loves her and then saying this shit. And of course, Karen has to do the work of bridging the gap between them. Stop auditioning, Karen. Ray is gone.

MVP of the episode goes to Gizelle's daddy. I don't know any parent with sense who would be OK with their child going back into a messy relationship. The only thing Jamal did right was give Gizelle her girls. I don't care for Gizelle, but her daughters are lovely.

Milani is such a gorgeous child. However, I cringed along with her when Monique was brushing her hair dry. I was like, please put some conditioner in that baby's hair before you take a brush to it.

I wrote last week that I was disappointed in Monique, but this shit right here is next-level disappointment. I read the comments beforehand, so I braced myself, but goddamn, it was worse watching it. Candiace did nothing to provoke having her hair in a vise grip. The way Mo was going at her, you'd think Candiace went after one of Mo's kids. It was embarrassing, but beyond embarrassing, it was so unnecessary.  Monique was looking for an excuse to get at Candiace, so she used the schoolyard taunting to get physical.

It's bad enough she went there, but to take a page out of the Dorinda Medley playbook and saygiphy.gif

Is beyond poor taste.

Perhaps I'm being too generous, but I'd like to think that Monique knows she fucked up, but to save face, she's keeping this going. Which is still shameful because she should be an adult and admit that she was out of line.

13 hours ago, red12 said:

There is space in 2020 for these housewives to be as shady and awful as the characters in any other franchise. In general, some black people need to wake up and realize that the racists don't care what you do, how pretty you are or how well you speak, you are still inferior. Stop trying to earn being viewed with full humanity from people who have no interest in ever seeing it in you.

I do agree with this, though. Unfortunately, as Black folk, we get judged collectively instead of individually. As a Black woman, none of these ladies represent me, so I didn't feel embarrassment in terms of, "look at the Black women acting the fool." I've been watching these Housewives shows too long, so they're all embarrassing. I wouldn't want to be around any of them, really.

Edited by Sheenieb
because vice and vise aren't the same.
  • Love 13
53 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

I see a lot of commentary that the cast of RHOP is very colorist, and while that may be, I think the viewers of RHOP are also colorist.  I know a lot of viewers did not like RHOP from the beginning because most of the cast was light skinned and/or biracial and they didn't feel it was a true representation of black women.  I think if we do start discussing Gizelle's colorism or Monique's colorism or whoever's, the viewership's colorism needs to be examined too.

I do not think the viewers of RHOP are colorist. You can acknowledge that we live in a racist and colorist society without being racist and colorist yourself. There is much love on the board for both Robyn (though we might not love her choices) and Monique (until this last episode). I actually do not think anyone on the cast is colorist besides Gizelle.

I have a light skinned cousin who fully acknowledges how much privilege she gets in the black community. She is of the "high yellow and green eyed" phenotype and sometimes she gets treated like movie star for simply existing. She often attracts a lot of very self hating dark skinned men who objectify her as an object of lust. She was also targeted for hate because she was not "black enough" or people being simply jealous, when she has not done anything to them. She married a really good guy who loves her for her.

I have another light skinned cousin who thinks her shit don't stink and is the first to say ignorant and hateful things about darker women with certain types of hair textures. She is horrible and is shocked when people do not fall at her feet. She married a self hating darker skinned man who worships her and having darker skinned daughters has not changed her one bit.

10 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

See, that's a red flag to me, and I didn't blame Karen for being hurt by it. If my husband said that he "thinks" he's in love with me, and he had no plans to fix that, I'd be looking up divorce attorneys on Yelp. He was "in love" with Karen 20 years ago when she had nothing professional going on. Now that she's gaining some independence, he turns cold. Not telling her that he loves her and then saying this shit. And of course, Karen has to do the work of bridging the gap between them. Stop auditioning, Karen. Ray is gone.

MVP of the episode goes to Gizelle's daddy. I don't know any parent with sense who would be

OK with their child going back into a messy relationship. The only thing Jamal did right was give Gizelle her girls. I don't care for Gizelle, but her daughters are lovely.

Milani is such a gorgeous child. However, I cringed along with her when Monique was brushing her hair dry. I was like, please put some conditioner in that baby's hair before you take a brush to it.

I wrote last week that I was disappointed in Monique, but this shit right here is next-level disappointment. I read the comments beforehand, so I braced myself, but goddamn, it was worse watching it. Candiace did nothing to provoke having her hair in a vice grip. The way Mo was going at her, you'd think Candiace went after one of Mo's kids. It was embarrassing, but beyond embarrassing, it was so unnecessary.  Monique was looking for an excuse to get at Candiace, so she used the schoolyard taunting to get physical.

It's bad enough she went there, but to take a page out of the Dorinda Medley playbook and saygiphy.gif

Is beyond poor taste.

Perhaps I'm being too generous, but I'd like to think that Monique knows she fucked up, but to save face, she's keeping this going. Which is still shameful because she should be an adult and admit that she was out of line.

I do agree with this, though. Unfortunately, as Black folk, we get judged collectively instead of individually. As a Black woman, none of these ladies represent me, so I didn't feel embarrassment in terms of, "look at the Black women acting the fool." I've been watching these Housewives shows too long, so they're all embarrassing. I wouldn't want to be around any of them, really.

Yeah, Ray wanted the beautiful adoring younger wife on his arm. Now that she has her own thing going on, he can not handle it. I am thinking things changed between them when she had to help pay his tax debt. The dynamics of their relationship is different and he is not here for it.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, drivethroo said:

I remember back in the day when it was en vogue for darker toned black people to passionately talk about their mixed heritage.  It was never a lie, but it always felt to me like some people (not all people) thought it was better to be "mixed" than to be "black" because being black was so low on the totem pole.  

For some reason, it kinda warmed my heart to hear Robyn and Gizelle want SO BADLY to be black women.  I mean that argument with Katie was stupid, but it was so real, and its maybe the most passionate I've ever seen Robyn about any issue, besides wanting Ashley to stay out of her business.  I guess it was just sort of cool to see two women who could "pass" want so badly to be fully black and not mixed or biracial.  People are always so down on black women that its nice to hear that someone is like "oh no, I am 100% a black woman!"

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, RealReality said:

I remember back in the day when it was en vogue for darker toned black people to passionately talk about their mixed heritage.  It was never a lie, but it always felt to me like some people (not all people) thought it was better to be "mixed" than to be "black" because being black was so low on the totem pole.  

For some reason, it kinda warmed my heart to hear Robyn and Gizelle want SO BADLY to be black women.  I mean that argument with Katie was stupid, but it was so real, and its maybe the most passionate I've ever seen Robyn about any issue, besides wanting Ashley to stay out of her business.  I guess it was just sort of cool to see two women who could "pass" want so badly to be fully black and not mixed or biracial.  People are always so down on black women that its nice to hear that someone is like "oh no, I am 100% a black woman!"

I totally get what you are saying. I remember the old joke was "everyone had a little Indian (Native American) in them".

However, even though I hope Robyn and Gizelle are very proud of their African American heritage, wanting to be acknowledged as fully black can also come with some not so noble reasons.

A lot of lighter skinned or mixed raced women are given special privileges in the black community that they are not given in any other spaces.

I think this is what has lead to the phenomenon of 'blackfishing" where white women pretend to be black or mixed race in order to garner more attention.

The Kardashians/Jenners have made an empire out of the concept, though I consider them more culture vultures than blackfish.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, drivethroo said:

oh...her image? I thought Chris was worried about HIS image..

I thought Chris wanted Monique to be mindful of her image b/c he is a retired NFL player and yes the NFL wants peace in their players off of the field - active and retired. He retired in 2010 - which is about the time the NFL started taking a harder stand on personnel having "issues " in all categories, that could be perceived negatively and/or legally that took place off of the field. The former  named Washington Redskins  franchise is in the news enough, with issues outside of the team/field/game, so they surely want peace.

I think that is one reason there hasn't been a "NFL wives" series... or if it was, it didn't last long.

Plus he is probably lobbying for a Hall of Fame nomination and award, so he wants to keep himself in the most positive limelight. With each passing year, it is going to be harder to get into the HOF. Can't have a his woman who throws blows sitting pretty in the front row during his Canton HOF speech..

Not to mention he teaches at a high school - one can only imagine the looks at the PTA or booster club meeting. Wonder if Monique does charity work trying to raise funds/sponsors for the football program. One can only imagine  if she had a meeting this morning with a potential local community sponsor for the HS team who might have saw the episode..

Was married to medicine supposed to be different too? I think the pool fight was the 1st or 2nd season... I do wish that show would focus more on medicine/medical issues than the silly.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2

How is Gizelle a colorist? I used to think RHOA was full of it lol. Because not every black person is only chocolate or dark brown. African Americans come in some pretty shades. There are light skin people in the black race. It's never going to change,especially with all of these black men being with other races. There's going to be a lot of mixed people walking around🤷🏾‍♀️. Also if Gizelle is a "colorist" wouldn't she have not laid up with such a chocolate man?? Wouldn't she like be disgusted by him?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sATL said:

oh...her image? I thought Chris was worried about HIS image..

I thought Chris wanted Monique to be mindful of her image b/c he is a retired NFL player and yes the NFL wants peace in their players off of the field - active and retired. He retired in 2010 - which is about the time the NFL started taking a harder stand on personnel having "issues " in all categories, that could be perceived negatively and/or legally that took place off of the field. The former  named Washington Redskins  franchise is in the news enough, with issues outside of the team/field/game, so they surely want peace.

I think that is one reason there hasn't been a "NFL wives" series... or if it was, it didn't last long.

Plus he is probably lobbying for a Hall of Fame nomination and award, so he wants to keep himself in the most positive limelight. With each passing year, it is going to be harder to get into the HOF. Can't have a his woman who throws blows sitting pretty in the front row during his Canton HOF speech..

Not to mention he teaches at a high school - one can only imagine the looks at the PTA or booster club meeting. Wonder if Monique does charity work trying to raise funds/sponsors for the football program. One can only imagine  if she had a meeting this morning with a potential local community sponsor for the HS team who might have saw the episode..

Was married to medicine supposed to be different too? I think the pool fight was the 1st or 2nd season... I do wish that show would focus more on medicine/medical issues than the silly.

I thought Chris S. was already inducted into the Hall of Fame a season or two ago?  Maybe it was something else?

I think Chris S. wanted to protect their image as a couple.  

I have a feeling that Chris S. may not have been excited about being on a reality TV show.  He isn't stupid, he did well for himself, sounds like he invested wisely and didn't need the money or the drama.

I suspect that Monique talked him into it, because she wanted "expand their empire" with a podcast and a website, told him it would be easy and relatively passive income, but she would get SO MUCH free advertising and publicity by being on a reality show.  I think Chris genuinely wants to see his wife happy and so he supported her.  

But using the show for free advertising and publicity for the website and podcast ONLY works if Monique has a good image.  Its not like the Kenya Moore haircare line where people can hate Kenya, but LOVE her hair.  Its not like Skinnygirl, where people may hate Betthany Frankel, but can see that she is CLEARLY skinny.  A lifestyle website and podcast only works if you have a good image that attracts viewers, listeners and advertisers.  IMO.  Especially a lifestyle website and podcast that is geared towards younger mothers in their 30s....those advertisers aren't going to want to support someone who is controversial because she is physically aggressive.  

So, now Chris has sunk 280k into a project that may never even take off because Monique acted violent on TV and ruined her image.  

• Love 6

I. Cannot. Believe. This is the hill Monique chooses to die on.

I don't believe for a second Ashley was relieved Monique v. Candiace took the attention away from Michael's latest public dalliance. I think Ashley is more likely pissed they knocked her off the pedestal for top storyline of the season. The way Ashley is soo... calm; she's mercenary. 

I love Gizelle's dad! She gets her sweet face from him--- and her ability to throw shade! Gizelle was soo thirsty telling Jamal to ask her dad for her hand in marriage. Jamal sometimes gets this look on his face like even he can't believe other people are buying the big bag of bullshit coming out of his mouth.

I don't get why BBG is hating on Karen's business endeavors--- I also don't get how she is all that busy, but I digress--- She was able to bail them out of their tax situation. She was the doting wife for howevermany decades they've been together. Now, the kid's off at college. She wants some time to Do Her, while she's still young enough to have the energy to do it. For such an intellectually smart man, he's emotionally dumb; he's pushing her away & asking her to come to him at the same time.

• Love 6