Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Fork

• Start Topic

Okay I've changed my mind about Jojen Reed Benny (a.k.a. Thomas Brodie-Sangster).  Once he took the damned hat off he was perfect for the role.  And his informing Beth that sex was off the table was the perfect end to the episode.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15

Poor Harry.  That was my prevailing thought this entire episode. 

I thought it was interesting her bumping into her old high school nemesis/Apple Pi girl who wore a seriously hideous hat on her head.  Seemed to be a new generation of Alma in the making.

I love the scenes of her and Benny playing at the tournament on the college campus.  The tiles that moved around during the play was reminiscent of a chess board and match itself. and Benny looks soooo much better without the stupid hat and his hair not greasy looking.  It was kinda painful to see Benny hustling her but I knew she was gonna beat him in the end.

I did like how philosophically they all take when she beats them "I'm raging inwardly" and "I cried in my room."  LOL.

• Love 12

The show is really hitting that sweet early/mid 60s vibe with the music and the clothes and everything. 

Beth and Benny have great chemistry, even if, as Benny insists, there is not going to be anything physical between them. That was a great end to the episode, this is going to be about playing chess, not "playing chess". 

Interesting seeing her running into some former characters, like Margaret the high school mean girl (who is heading down a similar path as Alma) and the guy she beat way back in Kentucky, who she has a bit of a thing with. Sadly for him, he is more into her than she is into him (her one true love is chess) so he leaves, but takes it all with grace. Beth has certainly come a long way from the nervous little girl right out of the orphanage. 

• Love 7

I felt bad for Harry Beltik. it's hard when you're not passionate about the things you used to be passionate about, or you realize your skills will not take you where you hoped you might go.

I just can't with the actor playing Benny. His performance is very good, but to me, with the unfortunate hat and clothing, he looks like a little boy playing dress-up. Like he seriously looks like a 12 year-old who drew on a mustache. I'm kind of hoping Townes will reappear.

• Love 15

It seemed odd that Beltik would call Beth out of the blue and offer to coach her, but when he later admitted that he'd had his teeth straightened for her, it all made sense. He's been holding on to this crush for years and offering to coach her against the Russian gave him a way in. Unfortunately for him, he was just a useful distraction to her. At least he moved out once he realized that he was never going to become more to her. I couldn't figure out if he truly did realize that he didn't love chess as much as he used to or if it was something else he realized (that she would never love him, that he had a crush on an idealized version of her, that he was not nearly at good as chess as he used to believe, etc).

Margaret's hat was just awful.

I was surprised that Benny and Beth agreed to play each other in speed chess before their big match the next day. I thought they would be too afraid to give away something about their strategy to each other before the championship.

• Love 3
On 11/2/2020 at 1:12 AM, Cheezwiz said:

I just can't with the actor playing Benny. His performance is very good, but to me, with the unfortunate hat and clothing, he looks like a little boy playing dress-up. Like he seriously looks like a 12 year-old who drew on a mustache.

I like the character, and I like the actor. I keep thinking of him as the chess version of David Spade, but that's not getting in the way too much.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
On 11/18/2020 at 7:08 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was surprised that Benny and Beth agreed to play each other in speed chess before their big match the next day. I thought they would be too afraid to give away something about their strategy to each other before the championship.

I assumed from her smile back in the room that that is exactly why she did play those (and perhaps lost)--to learn his weaknesses. I assume he played because, ego.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:06 PM, Milburn Stone said:

I like the character, and I like the actor. I keep thinking of him as the chess version of David Spade, but that's not getting in the way too much.

Oh, thank you! I didn't even realize I was trying to figure out who he reminded me of, but this is it exactly.

• Love 7
On 11/18/2020 at 8:08 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I think it was to show us how similar they were—equally aggressive, competitive and egotistical. Benny just had the upper hand.

• Love 2
On 11/18/2020 at 8:08 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I think the lead up to and the playing of speed chess was one big game of psychological chess (pun intended.) Benny invites Beth earlier in the day; she declines saying she has to study by reading his book, taking a little dig at his ego that he'd just exposed with the campus reporter. He'd like to re-establish his dominance. Even though he beat her in the past, he knows she's a much better player now, but he wants to show her he's still the boss. In her room, after reading his book, Beth makes the decision to take him up on the speed chess offer; her walk down the hallway and over to the mess hall to "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" was perfection. She had no intention of letting him see her best stuff. She stroked his ego. Benny got played. Terrific scene.

On 11/19/2020 at 9:03 PM, Haleth said:

This show has the best soundtrack. 
Classical Gas, wow.  Haven't heard that one in ages.

I totally agree on the soundtrack. Great use of "Steppin' Stone" as I mentioned above; also the Herman's Hermits cover of "The End of the World" in the earlier episode.
The use of "Classical Gas" in the cut scenes from the tournament prior to Beth and Benny's match was outstanding; so much so that I'll forgive the anachronism, which I'll admit bothered me a bit. CG wasn't released until 1968, while the title card told us we were in 1966.

I really hope sex isn't off the table. These two have great chemistry.

• Love 11
On 10/30/2020 at 11:20 AM, dubbel zout said:

I liked that Beth didn't rub her nose in things. It was obvious (to me, at least) that Margaret had to get married because she got pregnant, and there went any plans she might have had for herself. Beth seemed to realize "there but for the grace of god" and stayed cordial.

It was an excellent touch that this happened in Ben Snyder's, after Margaret had told Beth she wouldn't be caught dead in Ben Snyder's.  I think Beth realized she'd won the game and was gracious in her victory, as she normally is.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, lasu said:

It was an excellent touch that this happened in Ben Snyder's, after Margaret had told Beth she wouldn't be caught dead in Ben Snyder's.  I think Beth realized she'd won the game and was gracious in her victory, as she normally is.

Ooh, I'm glad you pointed that out. I didn't realize it was the same "Apple Pi" girl. 👍

• Love 3
On 11/9/2020 at 9:41 PM, kieyra said:

The editing and music in the central tournament of this episode (building up to Benny vs Beth) equals anything that’s been done in Better Call Saul.

Yes and reminiscent of Breaking Bad as well.

Beth has phenomenal chemistry with everyone — kudos to the actress.

• Love 6
On 11/1/2020 at 11:12 PM, Cheezwiz said:

I just can't with the actor playing Benny. His performance is very good, but to me, with the unfortunate hat and clothing, he looks like a little boy playing dress-up. Like he seriously looks like a 12 year-old who drew on a mustache. I'm kind of hoping Townes will reappear.

The actor was in Game Of Thrones.  You might not believe me but he is 30 in real life.

• Love 1
On 12/2/2020 at 12:26 PM, magdalene said:

The actor was in Game Of Thrones.  You might not believe me but he is 30 in real life

I remember him best from "Love Actually". He looked pretty much the same to me!

• Love 4
On 11/22/2020 at 9:42 PM, ProudMary said:

The use of "Classical Gas" in the cut scenes from the tournament prior to Beth and Benny's match was outstanding; so much so that I'll forgive the anachronism, which I'll admit bothered me a bit. CG wasn't released until 1968, while the title card told us we were in 1966.

They flashed 1967 on the screen (I paused to note how old I was then).
I think we can assume he composed in in 1967 (or even 66) if it was released in 68.
And now that you've mentioned it, I like to think Mason Williams is playing/composing "Classical Gas" in his bedroom while Beth is playing a chess tournament. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

I'm going to third and fourth the opinion that it is odd that the kid from Love, Actually is now old enough to have a mustache.

(First thought, every time he's on screen).

Was it common for high brow chess champions to play random college tournaments? I figured once you go high in chess, you stay there.

The quick chess was my favourite bit. I hope she was still able to buy food in the days after.

Oh, and the clothes (Beth's, not the cowboy outfit) were amazing. 

Poor Dudley Dursley. 😔

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Aliferously said:

Was it common for high brow chess champions to play random college tournaments? I figured once you go high in chess, you stay there.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

The major tournaments were held at colleges.

Yeah, that was the US Championship tournament. Benny complained earlier in the episode that the most prestigious tournament in the country is being played at a second-rate college.

• Love 1
On 11/18/2020 at 11:06 PM, Milburn Stone said:

Glad I'm not the only one who saw the similarities to David Spade.  I've never been fond of him as an actor (I don't know if it's him personally or the characters he plays), and I've never understood him getting the "ladies' man" parts as I don't think he's attractive at all.  So, sort of the same with Benny.  I don't think he's at all attractive, physically, but I can see where Beth would be attracted to him on an "equal" basis chess-wise.  I do like that he sort of shut that down, or was it really just a tease? 

I can't decide whether Benny legitimately won all those rounds of speed chess, or if Beth was playing him.  As someone else noted, the smile she had when getting back to her room meant something.  Was it that she was crushing on Benny, or letting him think he won while she studied him? 

I love Beth's fashion style, including the hair scarves.  The hat on her high school friend was hilarious.  Reminds me of some of the weird hats they've shown Elizabeth wear on The Crown.

I do wonder what everyone's "Plan B" is.  Beth hasn't even shown a glimmer of interest in college, and it seems that only very few can make a longstanding living off of chess.  I assume Russia treated it's chess players like other elite athletes - they had gov't support, housing, pay, etc., so they could concentrate on their sport. 

• Love 1

Beth playing Benny in speed chess has nothing to do with studying him or his strategy. Speed chess is a totally different beast. (My husband and son are rated chess players.) If she was smiling its because she was somewhat crushing on him.

• Useful 2
On 12/2/2020 at 12:26 PM, magdalene said:

The actor was in Game Of Thrones.  You might not believe me but he is 30 in real life.

Thomas Brodie-Sangster will always first, and ever, be Ferb.

On 11/21/2020 at 11:23 PM, harperchicago said:

I assumed from her smile back in the room that that is exactly why she did play those (and perhaps lost)--to learn his weaknesses.

Well, she seemed pretty upset when she threw things around her room. I think Beth’s sense of identity was so wrapped up in her chess prowess that she couldn’t let Benny’s challenge go unmet.

Not your stepping stone, indeed.

• Love 3
On 12/21/2020 at 11:54 AM, chaifan said:

I can't decide whether Benny legitimately won all those rounds of speed chess, or if Beth was playing him.  As someone else noted, the smile she had when getting back to her room meant something.  Was it that she was crushing on Benny, or letting him think he won while she studied him? 

Late reply, but it’s a sort of rage-smile. She does the same thing after the first time Borgov beats her in Mexico, while she’s talking to Alma (before she realizes what’s happened to Alma). She’s pissed, and she enjoys the anger. Kind of an ongoing theme for her. And maybe a bit of angry admiration for her opponent mixed in there. 

I don’t think she ever crushed on Benny. I don’t think she crushed on Beltik, either, although that one is probably more obvious. 

(I’ve spent a bit too much time watching this show and thinking about her relationships with those two. Maybe I’ll start a relationship topic or something.)

Edit: Thread created.

Benny's attire is clearly meant to establish him as some sort of character, but it's rather distracting.  He looks like a douche, and honestly he acts like one too, with his comment to the chess reporter about staying in shape "People expect chess players to look like you".

Beth obviously wasn't that into Harry, but she did ask him to stay in her house and had sex with him.  I guess she just didn't want to be alone after her mother died.

The good thing about setting a show in the '60s is you get to use all that great music.

• Love 2
On 2/1/2021 at 7:11 PM, MissLucas said:

Late to the party but reading all those comments on Thomas Brodie-Sangster makes me think I'm the only person on this planet who watched 'Godless'.

Nope I watched it too. I keep wondering if the actor just kept his wordrobe from that show and wore it to his Queen's Gambit audition and everyone really liked it.

On 11/19/2020 at 9:03 PM, Haleth said:

This show has the best soundtrack. 
Classical Gas, wow.  Haven't heard that one in ages.

On YouTube there is a video from last year of Weird Al playing Classical Gas on his accordion (which is how I recognized it) and he completely crushes the song.

On 11/2/2020 at 2:12 AM, Cheezwiz said:

I felt bad for Harry Beltik. it's hard when you're not passionate about the things you used to be passionate about, or you realize your skills will not take you where you hoped you might go.

Yea especially since from what I can gather, being a "master" at chess means he was exceptionally good but still not good enough to really mean much.

Also after the speed chess games, Beth came back to her room and put on her mother's housecoat right? That was super sad.

• Love 2

Just watching this so I am coming in late in the game.

I found it odd that Beth was put out with Benny talking strategy after sex as she basically had sex with Harry then went back to reading her book.