Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Is there a table for three? Or can I stay with my buds at the table for one?

There is, if you would like to sit with me, or we could join the table for one or two.  Not sure of the rules here.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I remain at the Tea for Two table - 2/5 with 1*.  I should have gotten Iceland- one of my favorite trips with Mother Grundoon stopped there on a transatlantic cruise and I knew about the names but couldn't pull it from the cold, weary recesses of my brain.  I will bring scones and clotted cream if someone else brings the tea this week.

I've moved up this week to the Table for Two - will Earl Grey tea do?

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

As far as I know, the rules are to have fun. 🙂

True this! The Official Guiding Rule here is to be true to yourself, have fun, don't take anything too seriously, provide some laughs when you can. And be careful not to point and laugh (openly) at the Contest Host who always ends up the lowest scorer at the end of the season. Waiting for some brain cells to escape from you guys and jump into my brain.

(Still waiting ...)

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

Let's make the Table pour Trois the place where the cool kids sit!

French. Oh you are going to force me to really try and up my game. Although I have to say that the food, company and drink is pretty good where I sit. Now comes the debate. Do I want to be cool or eat well. Hmm....😂

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, j5cochran said:

Let's make the Table pour Trois the place where the cool kids sit!

Cool? Or fans of Star Trek: Next Generation? (Hoping STNG fans will get my joke.) I guess this week T41 will be where the Dorks sit. I proclaim myself Head Dork, as proven by my chair at the head of the table, where I sit every week!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Cool? Or fans of Star Trek: Next Generation? (Hoping STNG fans will get my joke.) I guess this week T41 will be where the Dorks sit. I proclaim myself Head Dork, as proven by my chair at the head of the table, where I sit every week!

I can't find a recipe for cellular peptide cake, with or without mint frosting!

• LOL 4

Going grossly OT, but I am proud of what I accomplished today and want to share with my Contest friends. This is my driveway that I shoveled today (for the umpteenth time this winter) so I can get to town tomorrow. Note that my driveway is the same level as my yard; that's all snow. And those piles at the end, higher than my head, were put there by me and my one little hand shovel. The field across the road is also level, but the plow has pushed snow over the fence posts up and down the road.

Tomorrow will make the third time I've been able to leave and get to town since December 15. (Except I'm not there yet.) This should make you feel better about your own lives. Ha ha ha!

Feb20.2021_1221_sm.thumb.jpg.b1cdc415d1f5750a27208a2409558459.jpg

• Love 9

I'm not sure if I got one or two, since I accidentally saw August Wison on Monday and couldn't forget it for sure. I think I might have gotten it if not spoiled since I really like his plays, but sometimes even things you really know don't come to you during FJ. On the other hand, I absolutely knew Iceland, since their naming rules are strict and Byzantine and fascinate me. So...

1/5 or 2/5 but definitely no *. I defer to Saber for the ruling. Also the table for one is so nice...It's kind of nice to stay there!

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

1/5 or 2/5 but definitely no *. I defer to Saber for the ruling.

I am recording you as a 2 but awarding you an honorary 1 and so a seat at the T41. That you remembered August Wilson after seeing his name beats my feeble brain that forgot that name as soon as I heard it. Easy come, easy go!

My only correct answer this week was Mt. Everest. I've read every book on that subject, have subscribed to Mountaineering magazine, and a dream vacation would be to travel to Nepal and trek to Base Camp. Side note: I bought a computer some years ago (iMac!) from a woman who worked at Outdoor magazine and knew Jon Krakauer. She did not think highly of him.

• Love 2

Trey - Earl Grey sounds delightful. 

Ailianna - I understand the attraction of the Table for One, especially considering the august company there but I assure you that the Table of Two has charms as well and you would be very welcome at High Tea (especially if you bring sandwiches). 😀

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I'm back on schedule this week. I'll try not to be tardy again. 5/5 and 2*. The categories lined up for me, I used to practice figures in the skating rink we'd build in the back yard every winter. And having visited Iceland (it is so amazing) helped with Friday. I hope there are vending machines in the contest break room. I'll bring some spare change to treat everyone.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I broke my 3/5 streak with a 2/5. Boo hiss. I got Mt Everest & Iceland, and got as far as August for Monday. 

@Trey I prefer Twining's Irish Breakfast Tea so will bring a pot. And some petit fours. 

A choice of tea and petit fours? Sounds wonderful.

• Love 2

Saber to Toothbrush in a alarmed voice, while pointing to the doorway behind Toothbrush: "HEY! WHAT'S THAT? LOOK OVER THERE, OMGOSH!"

(Saber grabs a bunch of petit fours off Table For 2 and quickly exits the room.)

• LOL 6
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

(Saber grabs a bunch of petit fours off Table For 2 and quickly exits the room.)

Hee hee, Saber didn't see the chocolate fondue we have at Table for 3.  Or maybe dismissed it as less easily portable.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Because of poor behavior and breaking the rules of the Contest Thread, which is to have fun and be nice to everyone, I'm reporting Saber to the Contest host to be reprimanded and possibly kicked out of this thread for stealing petit fours. And totally missing the chocolate fondue. What's up with that. This is unacceptable and totally irresponsible behavior. It will not be tolerated!

• LOL 7
2 minutes ago, Driad said:

Saber, you are welcome to sit at the table for 3 (making 3 of us) for some fondue.

Oh, you T3s are so nice. I will wheel my roller chair over. I love me some fondue. I will plug in my chocolate fountain to make the fondue more spectacular! Thank you very much @Driad/

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, you T3s are so nice. I will wheel my roller chair over. I love me some fondue. I will plug in my chocolate fountain to make the fondue more spectacular! Thank you very much @Driad/

Oh you say that now, but you don’t know what I’m cooking yet. I also had a celebration and there is leftover cake. 😂

• Useful 1

Saber - you must be dreaming if you think you would have been able to purloin any petit fours - I was guarding them like the precious cargo those marvelous cakes are (Mother Grundoon taught me to appreciate them).  A trade might be worked out for a comparably delectable dessert but petit fours are practically perfect for Tea so maybe not.  

• LOL 4
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Because of poor behavior and breaking the rules of the Contest Thread, which is to have fun and be nice to everyone, I'm reporting Saber to the Contest host to be reprimanded and possibly kicked out of this thread for stealing petit fours. And totally missing the chocolate fondue. What's up with that. This is unacceptable and totally irresponsible behavior. It will not be tolerated!

It's not like we can't have our own fondue. We can copy. 😉

• LOL 2

It's time, it's time, it's time to present the Winner of Week 23*. This week the VSH (Very Special Honor) goes to a MCP (Most Consistent Player) who checks in every week and goes by the name of ... @DXD526! DXD526 earned this VSH by reporting the same score every week for the past three weeks. I do like me a steady player who can be counted on to go a steady pace toward the goal of ... well, completing this season's contest. So I do hereby award this week's VSH to our MCP DXD526. Tra-la-la La-la and please accept this  trophy as proof of your consistent brilliance this week.

607364206_slowandsteady.jpg.8943abbb091f384b592d06cdd0e2513b.jpg

*Thanks @zoey1996 for keeping track!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

Is that a tobacco humidor?  It reminds me something my grandpa had.  He also had a dark green glass ashtray he'd use with his pipe. And I swear, about a month after he died, I was in his house and heard his pipe clanking on that ashtray.  A psychic lady bought the house and she said both grandparents were still there.  Eeeek.

11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Is that a tobacco humidor? 

That never occurred to me, I was looking for a trophy. But it does look like a humidor. That's something about your grandparents still being in that house. One day an ex boyfriend was in my barn doing some chores and came in the house all shaken, said all of a sudden he could smell his (deceased) grandfather's pipe tobacco, strong. Another ex boyfriend lived in a rural house. Many nights, his dog would stand on the end of his bed and growl, fur up. Sometimes when he woke up and looked, he would see a man standing there, wearing a plaid flannel shirt. Then the man would disappear. Furniture would be moved around when he came home from being gone, and once when he came home he heard the tv on from outside, then it wasn't on when he went inside. A roommate he eventually got also saw the flannel-shirted apparition, it would walk by in the evening, seen from the corner of eyes.

When he told the person he rented from that some strange things were happening, she just said, oh, so you've seen (the man's name) too? So she had encountered him when she was living there. Turns out, an elderly couple lived there, and the man died at the house. The elderly wife was taken to a care home in town. When my ex found that out, next time the apparition appeared, he called it by name and said your wife (name) has gone to live X place.

And that was the end of seeing the flannel-shirt ghost. (A photo he found of the man and wife, the man was wearing a plaid flannel shirt.)

Long story long.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

2/5 (M & F) I don't know if any were asterisks.

Congratulations, fellow history geek! The XYZ Affair on Friday was an asterisk!

I'll bring the tea this week and be Mother. English Breakfast and Earl Grey - does anyone at the Table for Two need decaf (shudder!)?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2