Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'm only at the first commercial break but Ken is making me seasick.

I had the same feeling, but liked him for wanting a different category on a DD. I came up with Sharon Tate (surprised they didn’t come up with that answer since Hollywoodland just won the Oscar), Zane Grey, and the FJ of Avon was an instaget. 

10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I knew Macallan was whiskey,

I used to live in Scotland. The answer that they accepted was Scotch. Yes, it is a whisky. There’s a difference. If it’s an American name for a booze they spell it whiskey. In Scotland it’s always whisky with no “e” before the “y”.  Glenmorangie makes one called Cellar 13. It is absolutely one of my favorites, but very difficult to find. I think the last time I saw it was at a steakhouse (Angus Barn)  in Raleigh, N.C.  It cost $45 for a wee dram. Yes, it was worth it. I could go on, but I won’t. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Bliss said:

Laughed out loud at Ken's response to Mike's question for the second DD - he'd like another category! Hilarious.

Me too, and then he got it right!

13 hours ago, DrScottie said:

As for FJ tonight, I was just lucky that Shakespeare was the first name that popped into my head once the clue had the home of a favorite playwright. 

He popped up in mine too...unfortunately, I misread the clue and thought they were asking for the name of the playwright, and I couldn't come up with a makeup brand named "Shakespeare." sigh....

1 hour ago, blueray said:

Opinion of one, but Ken is way better of a host. People have various opinions on Ken but I'm pretty sure nobody thinks he's boring. Mike on the other hand, is. He is doing an okay job but he never seems excited about anything and that his ending was the same as his opening.  I still enjoy watching it however.

Add one to that. 🙂

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

In the T-N-T category in Double Jeopardy I think Andrew said Turbulence instead of Turbulent. I was surprised that they didn't go back later and deduct that amount from his total. Maybe I heard it wrong but I've listened to it a few times and it always sounds the same to me.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Carmel Cub said:

In the T-N-T category in Double Jeopardy I think Andrew said Turbulence instead of Turbulent. I was surprised that they didn't go back later and deduct that amount from his total. Maybe I heard it wrong but I've listened to it a few times and it always sounds the same to me.

Just listened to it, and I agree. He said turbulence.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I used to live in Scotland. The answer that they accepted was Scotch. Yes, it is a whisky. There’s a difference. If it’s an American name for a booze they spell it whiskey. In Scotland it’s always whisky with no “e” before the “y”.  Glenmorangie makes one called Cellar 13. It is absolutely one of my favorites, but very difficult to find. I think the last time I saw it was at a steakhouse (Angus Barn)  in Raleigh, N.C.  It cost $45 for a wee dram. Yes, it was worth it. I could go on, but I won’t. 

Well, thanks for that! I guess I have never understood this correctly. I have the information now to pass the theory part of this exam. The practical portion will have to wait until after work.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:
15 hours ago, Bliss said:

Laughed out loud at Ken's response to Mike's question for the second DD - he'd like another category! Hilarious.

Me too, and then he got it right!

He had a couple of other clever quips too. I wish I had recorded that episode.

42 minutes ago, chessiegal said:
51 minutes ago, Carmel Cub said:

Just listened to it, and I agree. He said turbulence.

I also heard "turbulence" not "turbulent." I wonder if it somehow slipped by because Mike Richards was both host and producer? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Carmel Cub said:

(believes both "Turbulence" and "Turbulent" (or "turbulence" and "turbulent") were acceptable possible responses)

Edited by Mario500
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

He had a couple of other clever quips too. I wish I had recorded that episode.

I wouldn't call it a quip, but I did laugh when he buzzed in and then realized maybe he didn't know the answer and said, "Uh oh". Though I think he ended up answering correctly anyway.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Mario500 said:

(believes both "Turbulence" and "Turbulent" (or "turbulence" and "turbulent") were acceptable possible responses)

Mike explained that he T-N-T category were words that started and ended with a "t", and had an "n" in between. Turbulence does not end with a "t".

• Love 8

I wouldn't have gotten FJ! if I stood there all night.  I was focused on a playwright who was active in 1939 and all I could think of was Tennessee Williams.  And for cosmetic companies, Revlon. 

• Love 1
On 2/24/2021 at 11:09 AM, Bliss said:

As a host, I prefer him - mostly because his energy suits J! - and I find his voice, mannerisms, etc. more to my liking.

Plus, he's easy on the eyes. 😉  Forget all the guest hosts and give the job to Mike, if he wants it.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Mario500 said:

The category said the words had to begin and end with "t" - so I don't think it would be an acceptable response.

• Love 2

Turbulence would have been wrong, because it didn't fit the category ("starts and ends with a T") or the clue, which called for an adjective.  Turbulent is the answer.

I, too, thought the contestant said turbulence, but my hearing is bad, so when they didn't go back and deduct points, and then no one had mentioned it here by the time I posted last night, I figured I had just heard it wrong.  But now I'm back to thinking he got away with one.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I hear the correct "turbulent" when I play it back, but I understand why others are hearing "turbulence."  The "t" is not hit very hard, but it's there to my ears.  Then again, should anyone take the word of the guy who was so foggy about what good scotch is? 😉

If he did indeed say "turbulence," tsk tsk tsk, I agree that should have been marked wrong.

• Love 3

FJ: At first the only 100+ million African countries I could think of were Egypt and Nigeria (and not sure about Egypt).  But about 15 seconds in I thought of Ethiopia and how Eritrea broke away.

My favorite FJs are usually when I can get it, but only after some thought.

• Love 1

Rats! I guess I should start recording these again. Did anyone catch the new champ’s story?

So long to the old champ with the great hair. 

ETA: Sorry if I submitted my post a minute early. Keep forgetting I’m on EST now. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I didn't think I was right, but I got FJ.  I just tried to think of countries that split around that time. Quen of Guessing strikes again.

I got the ts of roundup and distemper.

I got the entire category of subject right.

I always say distemper vaccines don't work on my cat because she has an awful temper.  Apparently that's not what distemper means.

2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

At the end of DJ, they left a couple on the board too, but MR seemed to have his poker face in place while he pointed out

what are you talking about?

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I had no idea for FJ.  In my defense, the countries in Africa are not the same now as they were when I was in middle school.

I did get the TS/ missed DD of votive, distemper, and ice cores.  

I can't figure out if the new champ's wager was smart or not.  He protected himself by leaving enough to cover Marisa in case she bet zero, but I don't understand his thoughts with regard to the old champ.  

Marisa's vocal fry was killing me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Katy M said:
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

At the end of DJ, they left a couple on the board too, but MR seemed to have his poker face in place while he pointed out

what are you talking about?

Sorry. I’ll move it to the “Who is...Today’s Guest Host?” thread. 

• Love 1

10A15EB2-53FF-485E-AF97-3CBC954AC33C.jpeg.b30f07ff78adc8651ca19ea83430179e.jpeg

Well the winner Michael keep me staring. He is a dead ringer for a guy (Whitney S Smith) that I watched years ago on a Bravo (don’t judge) show named Southern Charm. I watched it because I love Charleston and my nephew was at the Citadel so I was curious about the city. It was unnerving. 
   I got distemper, and ice cores, but no FJ. 
   About Oscar Wildes grave...I like Pere LaChaise Cemetery in Paris because it has some marvelous gravestones and sculptures. Women would don their reddest lipstick and kiss his grave. Germs, so a no thank you from me. My only complaint about that place is between that, the pickpockets and the writing of “Jim’s grave this way” (for Jim Morrison) desecrated so many beautiful tombs. 

Sorry. I tried to put that picture under my wordage. Sometimes this site has a mind of its own. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am really getting irritated that some answers are considered acceptable when they aren't the correct answer.   The answer is, march to the beat of your own drum.  The answer given was, march to the beat of your own drummer.  They aren't the same thing.  They need to tighten that shit up.  The game is called Jeopardy, not Close Enough.

I performed really well tonight even though I wasn't even close to getting FJ.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/march+to+(the+beat+of)+a+different+drummer

I first guessed Somalia, knew it wasn't right, but I was geographically close. I sort of sensed Eritrea was involved, but didn't get far enough in my thinking before time ran out. My excuse is I got my first Pfizer Covid vaccine today.  Bwaahahahaha (That had nothing to do with it.)  I'm not liking MR. He's got one level on his amplifier - he's always on...well, not eleven, but maybe nine?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I came up with Coty for FJ. I knew Revlon was owned by the Revson family, so immediately ruled that out.  Never even though of Avon, but in hindsight, it makes total sense.

I thought of Coty too. I've used their loose face powder for like 20 years and I remember my grandma using it too 40 years ago. I knew it is one of the oldest brands around, but was pretty sure the dates weren't right. I would never have come up with Avon. I was thinking brands you can buy in a store. 

I've never liked Ken Jennings as a player, so I really didn't like him as a host. I'm liking Producer Mike so far though. I haven't read anything or even Googled for it, but I'm just guessing they will have guest hosts for the rest of this TV season before a new host is named. 

• Love 1

I wasn't very impressed with myself in FJ.  The parents of two close friends in high school were immigrants, one set from Ethiopia and one set from Eritrea.  They discussed the politics in that region from time to time and inspired me to learn more myself.  I have been wanting to reconnect with people from that time in my life, so let's hope they don't ask me what I retained.

Otherwise, fun game.  I was a little brain-tied between "your own drum" and "a different drum."  Thanks, Linda Ronstadt!  I imagine both would have been accepted.  "Kazan and Saldana" almost got me too, but I ended up right because I thought Zoe Kazan sounded better than Lainie Saldana.  I hadn't heard of Zoe, but she is Elia's granddaughter and no relation to Lainie.

I don't speak Portuguese, but "King Afonso," which is not a spelling error, should probably not be pronounced the same as "Alfonso," right?  Gotcha, Mike! 😉

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I am really getting irritated that some answers are considered acceptable when they aren't the correct answer.   The answer is, march to the beat of your own drum.  The answer given was, march to the beat of your own drummer.  They aren't the same thing.  They need to tighten that shit up.  The game is called Jeopardy, not Close Enough.

I've heard it both ways.  Also different drummer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Mario500 said:

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The category said the words had to begin and end with "t" - so I don't think it would be an acceptable response.

(suspects "Turbulence" (or "turbulence") was an acceptable possible response due to its connection to "Turbulent" (or "turbulent"))

Edited by Mario500
On 2/15/2021 at 7:31 PM, Bastet said:

The rally TS surprised me a bit, since it's not a term exclusive to tennis (especially once Lance guessed volley; I thought that similarity would spark something in one of the other two).  Gaunt was a little surprising, too, with "au" spotted.  But that was about it.

Tennis was the first category I've ever gone 5/5 in!  I've never done that before.

Yes, I thought someone would guess "rally", after the "volley" wrong question.

Who won and what was the final clue? Our local station, which is an NBC station, cut in just before FJ with the news of the Syria bombing. I knew the category was to be Landlocked Countries but by the time they came back it was just for the closing commercials.

35 minutes ago, Mario500 said:

(suspects "Turbulence" (or "turbulence") was an acceptable possible response due to its connection to "Turbulent" (or "turbulent"))

It doesn't end in T, which the category specified.  It's not an adjective (it's a noun), which the clue specified.  So it doesn't fit the category or the clue, and should thus be an incorrect response.

The distemper TS surprised me a little tonight, as did ice cores, but this was another good game.

For them, and for me -- I only missed round table (and smacked my head when that was revealed), votive (the candle shown is known to me as a prayer candle, with votive being something shorter), and Round Top in the first round.  I was surprised to get Zoey, as I didn't think I'd heard of either actor (and couldn't pick either out of a line-up or tell you a single project), yet the name shot out of my mouth.

In DJ, I missed three in poets and two in history, but got everything else.  And I got FJ after some thought, so I was very pleased with myself tonight.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Otherwise, fun game.  I was a little brain-tied between "your own drum" and "a different drum."  Thanks, Linda Ronstadt!

The song, "A Different Drum" was written by Mike Nesmith, of the Monkees. Granted, few people have ever heard his version compared to Ronstadt's, but I like to give the songwriters credit when I can.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The song, "A Different Drum" was written by Mike Nesmith, of the Monkees. Granted, few people have ever heard his version compared to Ronstadt's, but I like to give the songwriters credit when I can.

Thanks, I didn't know that!  I should have mentioned the Stone Poneys too.  It wasn't just Linda on that record.

• Love 6

I knew votive, roundup, distemper, Peter the Great, Ezra Pound, and the Ballad of Reading Gaol. I surprised myself by getting FJ, since I’m generally bad at geography, especially African geography.

New champ reminded me a bit of Leonard on The Big Bang Theory (in looks, not personality).

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Now I can't "unhear" that song.  IMO, perhaps one of the whiniest sung songs in the history of  whiniest sung songs.

I am unfamiliar with the song you're discussing, but can't believe that it's whinier than Constant Craving by KD Lang.

• LOL 3
On ‎02‎/‎16‎/‎2021 at 7:06 PM, 853fisher said:

That was a great FJ clue!  I wish "surveyor" had gotten me thinking about natural features quicker, but even then I'm not sure I would've gotten from British India to Nepal in time.  Interestingly, I believe Sir George Everest pronounced his name more like EEV-rist than what we say today.  There are many layers indeed to that name.

One of my favorite things to read about is mountain climbing (especially when the people die in the attempt - don't judge me!), so I actually knew that Everest was named for the British surveyor general of India.  That FJ was an instaget for me.  Go, me!

On ‎02‎/‎16‎/‎2021 at 8:13 PM, ams1001 said:

Got all the Alphabet Rockers & Rappers (and pre-guessed Run DMC as soon as they revealed the category)

I pre-guessed AC/DC.

On ‎02‎/‎17‎/‎2021 at 10:39 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

It seems Ken Jennings guest hosting is about over, end of this week or next.  He has done pretty well, better than I expected.  Wouldn't mind if he was the permanent choice.

He was alright, but not that good, and I'd be less than thrilled if he were the permanent host.

On ‎02‎/‎17‎/‎2021 at 8:01 PM, Browncoat said:

Yet another game where the contestant in third place going into FJ should have bet zero!  And even though I knew skaters don't have to trace the figures any more, I never in a million years would have been able to come up with that for FJ.  

It took me a moment.  For some reason I started with ice hockey which led to other people on skates - and presto, figure skating.  I'm old enough to remember Scott Hamilton winning his Olympic gold medal primarily on the basis of being so far ahead after the school figures that Brian Orser couldn't have caught up unless Hamilton fell down during his short and long programs, as they were then called.

On ‎02‎/‎17‎/‎2021 at 8:01 PM, Browncoat said:

And I laughed at the clue that mentioned Kit Carson Jr.

Me, too.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Roaster said:

FJ: At first the only 100+ million African countries I could think of were Egypt and Nigeria (and not sure about Egypt).  But about 15 seconds in I thought of Ethiopia and how Eritrea broke away.

I thought of Ethiopia, but obviously I was wrong about where, exactly, Eritrea is, and thought it was on the other side of Ethiopia.  So I said Eritrea, knowing full well it doesn't have that many people.  Should've gone with my first guess.

14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I didn't think I was right, but I got FJ.  I just tried to think of countries that split around that time. Quen of Guessing strikes again.

I got the ts of roundup and distemper.

I got the entire category of subject right.

I always say distemper vaccines don't work on my cat because she has an awful temper.  Apparently that's not what distemper means.

:-D

I've never sure exactly what distemper is, but I knew it was the right answer.

14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am really getting irritated that some answers are considered acceptable when they aren't the correct answer.   The answer is, march to the beat of your own drum.  The answer given was, march to the beat of your own drummer.

I've heard both, but of course, it could've been said by the same people saying "irregardless" and "I could care less", so . . .

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

He's got one level on his amplifier - he's always on...well, not eleven, but maybe nine?

I think he's okay, but do agree about this.  He could definitely tone it down a little.  But it was an emergency situation, so I'll forgive him.

14 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I thought of Coty too. I've used their loose face powder for like 20 years and I remember my grandma using it too 40 years ago. I knew it is one of the oldest brands around, but was pretty sure the dates weren't right. I would never have come up with Avon. I was thinking brands you can buy in a store. 

Avon was an instaget for me because I had an aunt who used to sell it.

4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew votive, roundup, distemper, Peter the Great, Ezra Pound, and the Ballad of Reading Gaol.

I didn't get Ezra Pound, but did get the rest, as well as ice core.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The Jeopardy category was "MUSICAL IDIOMS TO MY EARS;"
the $400 clue was "To do things your own way & disregard convention is to 'march to' this sound" (j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6951).

While Thoreau ("different drummer") seems to most closely match the clue,
the Nesmith/Ronstadt/Stone Poneys song ("different drum") fits the category.
Therefore, I think either answer should be rewarded, due to the Jeopardy writers not really matching the clue with the category.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
[Henry David Thoreau, 1854, bartleby.com/73/905.html]

You and I travel to the beat of a different drum
Oh, can't you tell by the way I run
Every time you make eyes at me? 
. . .

["Different Drum," Michael Nesmith, 1964,  wikipedia.org/wiki/Different_Drum, and recorded by Linda Ronstadt with the Stone Poneys in 1967 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Different_Drum#The_Stone_Poneys_version, and see lyrics at google.com/search?q=different+drummer+lyric]

I was still dwelling on this, probably because Mom, who died alone in a nursing home last August due to Covid, in the 1970s had placed a decoupage of Thoreau's "different drummer" quote on the dresser in my childhood home in Chicagoland when I came back from my travels one winter to "housesit" while she and Dad were in Hawaii. 
However, in the same room in the late 1960s, when I was an emo teen before "emo" was a word, recording top songs off of my transistor radio onto my little cassette tape recorder to listen to over and over and over again, I often listened to the Stone Poneys' "Different Drum."

Edited by shapeshifter
Moved the conclusion to the top since that's how it's done these days
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

A decent game for me.  I was sorry to see Aaron lose.

I got the ts's or missed DD's of votive, distemper, Peter the Great (a surprising miss), ice cores, and The Ballad of Reading Gaol, another writers' favourite.

For FJ, my son pre-called Paraguay but I pointed out that most landlocked countries were in Africa.  Therefore he got Ethiopia right away while I really had no idea.  Once he said Ethiopia I remembered Eritrea but still thought Ethiopia had some coast left.  So, no FJ for me.

Shoutout to @Browncoat and chin strap penguins.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I thought votives were shorter candles.

I thought that too.  I associate the particular kinds of candles they showed with Hispanic cultures, so I was trying to think of a name in Spanish.  The next time I'm at the store, I'll try to remember to check what the labels say so I can remember.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I am unfamiliar with the song you're discussing, but can't believe that it's whinier than Constant Craving by KD Lang.

I guess I'm whiny, then, as I love both songs.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I've heard both, but of course, it could've been said by the same people saying "irregardless" and "I could care less", so . . .

LOL.  I've never stopped to think about whether it made sense, but, yeah, while I say "drum", I've heard many others say "drummer" instead.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Mike described the XYZ Affair by saying that "the French ministers tried to bribe the Americans and they didn't accept it"?  That's not right.

Talleyrand, the French Foreign Minister, demanded bribes from the Americans before negotiating a settlement on trade disputes that were starting to become military issues.  Other nations considered the bribes the cost of doing business with Talleyrand, but the Americans refused and returned home before ever meeting with him formally.  The matter was exposed publicly when Democratic-Republicans in Congress, believing Federalist President Adams might be exaggerating the French position, demanded the release of dispatches from the American diplomats.  The names of three agents of Talleyrand were redacted by the letters X, Y, and Z, and there was a W involved too.  Talleyrand denied everything publicly but privately indicated a wish to mend fences.  Everything turned out alright within a few years.

Shoutout to Mr. Achilles, my seventh grade teacher, who made all this very interesting.  I have enjoyed having time for a few more parenthetical remarks about clues than we used to get, although some have been a little inane (you're kidding, Mike, the vegetable they were referring to in the Mr. Potato Head clue was a potato?!), but they'd better know what they're talking about.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

Jeopardy! has been on a roll with good games.  Another game where all three had over $10,000 at the end of Double Jeopardy and no runaway,

Of course, they all missed Final Jeopardy.  But so did I.  I guessed The Barbary War.

• Love 2