Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

The new champ is good - hope she stays around for a while.  I didn't think Steve was going to stay long.

Steve did not seem amused when Ken pointed out that he should have got profiling, which I did not get either.

Just a couple of ts's for me: Desire (under the Elms) and British Commonwealth.

For FJ I was pre-calling modern or current European royalty so the date in the clue surprised me.  I did know that Louis XIV was called the Sun King, then it took another second to come up with Apollo.  I did not know the name was the same in Roman and Greek mythology.

I have noticed that Ken never says when a  game is a runaway, just mentions that everyone is around for FJ.  Maybe he doesn't want to discourage the two who are going to lose anyway.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3

Ken got to say something with a French accent.  He sounded like me fumbling through French 101.  It was quite refreshing.  I was getting a little tired of AT.  Has Ken needed to say genre?   Mythology is my Hell category.  I blurted out Apollo having no idea what her was the god of.  I thought nuit was French for night.  Where was the sun part of the clue?

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I blurted out Apollo having no idea what her was the god of.  I thought nuit was French for night.  Where was the sun part of the clue?

Louis XIV was known as the Sun King, a nickname so to speak.  The ballet or his role in it really had nothing to do with the answer.

I always want to put two p's in Apollo.

• Love 1

Someone said here(?) long ago that Louis XIV was the sun king, Louis XV was the fun king, and Louis XVI was the done king.  From what I remember of history, Louis XV doesn't sound especially fun, but it rhymes.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I always gave Alex a pass on pronouncing French words properly because he was bilingual- his mother was French Canadian and French was his mother tongue.  I tend to do the same thing since I grew up in Montreal, and while French is my second language I do use the proper pronunciation.  I think Ken's efforts to pronounce French words properly is a small tribute to Alex.  I did notice him using a German accent while reading a clue last night- another nod to Alex?

• Love 6

I think I did okay given that I have a migraine and by the time I got home I wanted to throw up.

I got FJ but not until after Ken's hint after the music ended. I'll blame the migraine even though it's a lie.

I was hoping for a repeat champ but I'm good with Stuart, too. He's cute. And he made me laugh when he picked the poetry category.

Is it just me or are the personal stories getting longer..?

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I think because Ken talks so fast (and we seem to be clearing the boards more often than we have in a while), they are filling in with slightly longer stories (better than more commercials)

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I think because Ken talks so fast (and we seem to be clearing the boards more often than we have in a while), they are filling in with slightly longer stories (better than more commercials)

I'll agree with that last part... I guess I'll take longer stories over not clearing the board. Might have to go back to muting them...

• Love 1

I said  CNN for FJ.

I got the ts of Roman, Pleistocene (before incorrect proununciation was given), and Shakespeare's Sonnets.

I got the entire categories of verbs and, oddly enough, poetry right.

• Love 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight!  I like the new champ.  He amused me, too, when he picked the poetry category.  I thought the DJ in that category was very easy.  

I also got the TS of Stone Age, Roman Empire, Pleistocene, Shakespeare's sonnets, and Song Of Myself.  Song Of Myself was a surprising TS -- if it's Walt Whitman and it isn't Leaves Of Grass, it has to be Song Of Myself.

• Love 4

I was highly amused that my answer of “I don’t know, that black stone thing” was actually correct in the Cornerstone clue about the Kaaba. 🤣 (Answer is: the black stone.)

Edited by Cotypubby
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Whenever Lafayette is the answer, I still yell out America’s Favorite Fighting Frenchman.  Heh, and I actually said to myself, how could Leaves of Grass be a $2000 question?  I kicked ass on the musicals category. 

I got FJ as soon as I saw Tip O’Neill’s  name.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said  CNN for FJ.

I did too. But I did know Tiberius (one of my favorite Roman emperors), the Plains of Abraham, Jersey Boys, the Stone Age, the Romans, Pleistocene, and Song of Myself. I thought of the Psalms instead of Shakespeare's sonnets.

• Love 1

Three TS tonight that really surprised me: Stone Age, Roman empire, and Shakespearean sonnets.

Not a great first round for me; I missed two or three each in plains, autobiographies, and pop culture.  I did much better in DJ; the only thing I didn't know was black stone.  And I got FJ, so on the whole it wound up being a very good game for me.

14 hours ago, Katy M said:

As soon as they said profiling, I was like, duh, but I don't think I understood the question when it was asked.  i had no idea what they were going for.

Same here. My husband and I think many clues have been rather convoluted the last couple of weeks.  New writers? 

Edited by Josiemae
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't blame him.  Ken seems to be trying too hard to act like Trebek.  The problem is that Ken's personality isn't anything like Trebek's. 

Is it that Ken is trying to act like Alex or that the writers are giving him the same lines and the producers are wanting him to act sort of like Alex to make the transition less jarring for viewers?

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

But I did know Tiberius (one of my favorite Roman emperors),

Thanks to a viewing of "I, Claudius" a couple of years ago (which everyone must see), I'm fairly confident on order of Roman emperors (and a few other things).

Edited by illdoc
lost Claudius' "u"
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Whenever Lafayette is the answer, I still yell out America’s Favorite Fighting Frenchman.  Heh, and I actually said to myself, how could Leaves of Grass be a $2000 question?  I kicked ass on the musicals category. 

I got FJ as soon as I saw Tip O’Neill’s  name.

Our feed crapped out just before they revealed the clue - and then came back on when the answer C-Span was confirmed. My husband said "I wish I knew what the question was" - And I was - have I got news for you - and went to J!Archive to find out the question. I would hope I would have gotten it, but I'm not sure.

Leaves of Grass was the only thing I came up with - Never even thought of Song of Myself.

1 hour ago, graybrown bird said:

Crickets for Shakespeare's sonnets made me sad.

I, on the other hand, cringed. As the sonnet quoted was part of my marriage ceremony to the former Mr. Starling. Let's just say, it was an aspirational thought that plummeted.

• Love 1

An overall good game for me.  I got lots of answers plus the ts's or missed DDs of Plains of Abraham, Jersey Boys, and Shakespeare's Sonnets.

So much for Nicole.  I guess I'll have to quit saying I like someone and hope they stay around.

As soon as I saw the FJ category I knew I was doomed, and I was.  I had no answer at all.

• Love 2

Count me in as a member of the CNN club.  C-SPAN crossed my mind, but I think I decided it was not a cable network because I remembered its channel number being in the single or low double digits the last time I had traditional TV service, right next to the broadcast networks.  Having never heard about C-SPAN affiliates in different markets should have clued me in.  Ah well.  CNN made its premiere in 1980, so we weren't off by too long.

17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I second others' comments on this.  I think they have sometimes been worth the extra time and sometimes not.  Last night it seemed Ken had reasonably lengthy exchanges with the challengers, and then the champion had one sentence.  I'm sure something was left on the cutting-room floor there.  It seemed jarring to me.  Just a minor thing.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 3

Good for Leah!  I'd probably have had to wager zero on that category as well.  And of course I did not have a clue for FJ.  I think I could have had all the time in the world and never have come up with the Spanish Armada.

But I did get Governor of California, smelt, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Doubt, laying on of hands, and Ireland.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Thank you, Ken, for not attempting Alex's trademark "Robbie Burns!"

Aw, I was hoping for a good “Rrrrobbie Burrrns”!

I didn’t think Stuart would be a one-and-done. At first I thought Leah would be one of those contestants who barely ring in and get most questions wrong when they do, but she really caught fire in DJ. Good for her! I liked her monkey feeding story too.

I was surprised at some of the TS’s, especially the one about Ronald Reagan being governor of California. I also knew Carl Weathers, smelt, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, the Doubt daily double, and laying on of hands. I made a lucky guess on FJ.

There were a couple of calls I wondered about. On the Ronald Reagan chimp movie, were they asking for the title or just the chimp’s name? The film was Bedtime for Bonzo, not just Bonzo, which was what the contestant said. And did they accept Leonardo without daVinci?

• Love 2

Interesting to see that the last clue in each round was a Daily Double.  I wonder when the last time that happened was.  It was nice of Stuart's father to lend him his jacket for the occasion.

43 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Really know one knew or even guessed reagan as governor of california?  

No one in this household either, which is too bad since we live there.  I thought he was Governor later and guessed SAG President, which I know is not strictly speaking a political office, but I sometimes think of unions in those terms.

27 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

There were a couple of calls I wondered about. On the Ronald Reagan chimp movie, were they asking for the title or just the chimp’s name? The film was Bedtime for Bonzo, not just Bonzo, which was what the contestant said. And did they accept Leonardo without daVinci?

The clue was "a chimp named Peggy played this role in a comedy starring Reagan," so Bonzo was definitely OK.  (Sadly for me, Bongo was not quite right.)  I think the mononym Leonardo is not uncommon for the artist, although I call him "da Vinci."

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I think the mononym Leonardo is not uncommon for the artist, although I call him "da Vinci."

History.com says, "In his own time he was known just as Leonardo or as “Il Florentine,” since he lived near Florence—and was famed as an artist, inventor and thinker."

(I wouldn't think to refer to him that way, though.)

• Love 2

I have boggled myself. Years ago, I read that Sixtus V would be the last Pope named Sixtus, because Sixtus the Sixth (aka Sixtus Sextus) was just a silly name. When the FJ category came up, I thought it would be that little bit of trivia - I knew it was gonna be Sixtus V, but I think "Spanish Armada" might have come to me had I an hour or two to think about it.  I'm still stunned that me, a non-Catholic, came up with SIxtus V for a pre-guess.

I always thought it was weird that CA elected Reagan when he hadn't ever held elected public office before, but I guess Trump trumped that. Pronouncing RR's birthplace with the stress on the first syllable sounded really weird to me - I'm used to the Mexican pronunciation of TamPIco.

I liked the wild monkey/wayward photography story. It reminded me of my dad. If there was a trash can nearby, he'd always manage to get it in the frame, even if it left out half of the people in the photo - he didn't do it on purpose, though. I never understood what he thought he was seeing in the viewfinder.

• Love 3

Leah played an impressively solid game (checking the archive, she had only one wrong answer), and I'm glad she won.

The Governor of California TS had my eyes bugging out of my head.  I wonder if they thought the timing wasn't right, and were trying to come up with some lower office Reagan had held before being inexplicably elected governor of CA?  Because it seems impossible none of the three knew he was governor.  Smelt, Ireland, hands-on, and parkway were all clues I wasn't expecting to go unanswered, but that was the big one.

I ran the first round other than the Harry Potter clue and the missed DD of Doubt.  I missed three of the movie magic clues in DJ and a handful of scattered others.  But I had absolutely no idea on FJ.  Not surprising given the category, but if given more time I might have come up with a lucky guess based on the timing.

13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

They were asking for the chimp's name "In 1951 a chimp named Peggy played this role in a comedy starring Reagan", so I guess that's why I didn't question it. But I did question the Leonardo as well.

12 hours ago, 853fisher said:

No one in this household either, which is too bad since we live there.  I thought he was Governor later and guessed SAG President, which I know is not strictly speaking a political office, but I sometimes think of unions in those terms.

I guessed SAG too, because it is a semi-political office. I wonder if they would have accepted it had anyone given that answer. I lived in CA when Reagan was governor.

12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I always thought it was weird that CA elected Reagan when he hadn't ever held elected public office before, but I guess Trump trumped that. Pronouncing RR's birthplace with the stress on the first syllable sounded really weird to me - I'm used to the Mexican pronunciation of TamPIco.

Wierd, yes. They also elected Arnold Schwarzenegger, who also had never been elected to a public office before.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

Other than getting all the clues in Art I had another lackluster game. I got Parkways, Governor of California, Smelt, I knew it was a Harry Potter play, but didn’t come up with the Cursed Child part. I was like Leah on FJ and said the Templars. 

An ok game for me last night.  I won't say anything about the new champ lest I jinx her.

I got the ts's of Governor of California, smelt, and Ireland.

I couldn't quite figure out FJ at first.  I thought of the Spanish Inquisition which I knew was wrong - you would think it would have led to Spanish Armada but it did not.

Side note:  Napoleon ended the Spanish Inquisition in 1808 when he invaded and conquered Spain.

I was like Leah on FJ and said the Templars.

The Knights Templar were victims of the inquisition.

Both SI notes courtesy of Wikipedia.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

In the art world it's quite common to just call him "Leonardo."  As wikipedia puts it, "Leonardo had no surname in the modern sense--da Vinci simply meaning 'of Vinci'; his full birth name was Lionardo di ser Piero da Vinci, meaning "Leonardo, (son) of ser Piero (from) Vinci."

• Love 5

There was only one TS (Iran) in the first round! (I didn't get it, either.) I ran How Deep is your Love and Literary Allusions. I actually kept score for the first time in a while…kinda wish I hadn't. Got 21/30 in the first round; only 12 in the second. 54% overall. Bleh. Did not get FJ, either.

I did get all three Daily Doubles, though.

• Love 2

I said Paris.  I was thiking of Murder in the Rue Morgue (which I haven't read), then realized that was American and the category was wsorld lit, but then figured it was good as anything.  When he said Moscow was closer, I figured it wsas Crime and Punishment and St Petersburg, but that doesn't count.

the only ts was Angela.

I answered all of allusions and deep love right.

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I said Paris for FJ, thinking of Murders in the Rue Morgue.  It's a bad start, boys.

The only TS I got were Call of the Wild At Heart, and yew.  But I would totally watch Guardians of the Galaxy Quest.

I kept only getting half of the movies.  

• Love 1

It's great that there was a women in STEM category and I appreciate that Olay is promoting women in STEM, but it's enraging, depressing, and offensive that they follow that with an ad for an anti-aging cream. Sigh.

(I know that's what Olay is known for, but still. They should have just advertised the company instead of an "anti-aging" product, IMO.)

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 7