Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Just now, Browncoat said:

That woman reading the clues was slower than Oprah.

I wish they would show the clue even when someone else is reading it.  I'm such a visual concentrator I'm at a disadvantage when I only get the clue orally.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Do you think the judges would have accepted Gitche Gumee?  I bet some of you had just gotten the song out of your head. Bwaahahahahahaha.

I got FJ with plenty of time to spare.

Who was the STEM lady today?  She had a very odd accent.  But then, anyone who learns English as a second language has my undying admiration.

Frauke Neuser.  She's German.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Seriously, those people don't know the Gordon Lightfoot song?! They need to hang out on this board.

Yes, the song was the first thing that entered my mind. Have we heard a "before your time" yet from Ken?

9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Oh good grief.  Walt Disney never entered my mind, but he seems so obvious in retrospect.  It has been a bad week for me in terms of FJ!

Same! When they start asking about people behind the camera, I screw up. All I could think of was Hitchcock. Welles never crossed my mind because he was notoriously underappreciated in Hollywood.

15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Ugh, yes. I'm all for showcasing women in STEM, but there have to be better clue readers out there.

In addition to Lake Superior, I knew The Stranger, bullet, Andrea Doria, and Lister. I was sure there would be some hint about Listerine mouthwash in his clue.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I wish they would show the clue even when someone else is reading it.  I'm such a visual concentrator I'm at a disadvantage when I only get the clue orally.

I always have captions on and really needed them due to her accent. 

Back in Illinois Jeopardy was on at 4:30. Here over the local Rochester NY affiliate, it comes on at 7:30. Maybe I’m sundowning a bit ——I actually watch 9-1-1: Lone Star and couldn’t name it even after the champion said “Texas.”

I knew Google. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Pele was a bit surprising as a TS, and Google being a TS was stunning (no, I couldn't have named her had you asked me who designed Google, but tell me someone "design[ed] the search interface for this company's homepage", and Google was a pretty easy guess that I'm shocked no one even ventured).

I only ran the '30s and superstition categories in the first round, but I only missed one or two each in the others.  In DJ, I ran the vowel, instrument, and STEM categories, also only missing one or two in the others.  And I got FJ pretty quickly, so I continue to make up for the epic disaster that was my performance in Monday's game.

• Love 4

Good result in FJ.  I just sensed it viscerally somehow, probably a lot to do with the shorts.  I couldn't've named any of the four films he won for in 1954, though.  They were "The Living Desert" (Documentary Feature), "The American Eskimo" (Documentary Short), "Toot, Whistle, Plunk, and Boom" (Cartoon Short), and "Bear Country" (Two-Reel Short).

1 hour ago, dcalley said:

I've been reading that Dr. Quack Oz will be a guest host--ugh--and looky who has done a lot of work with him but one Dr. Frauke Neuser, Thursday's STEM clue-giver. Hmm. https://www.google.com/search?q=Dr.+Frauke+Neuser  (ETA: look at the video results)

I did this and got a warning that explicit results had been filtered out by SafeSearch.  What are you trying to get us into? 😉  I think I saw quite enough of Dr. Neuser during the category.  I'm sure her English is better than my German, but I wish they would only get readers who can master the cadence of some of these word salad clues.  It didn't occur to me until just now that P&G owns Olay.  More synergy!  Weeeeee!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
On 2/10/2021 at 7:10 PM, 853fisher said:

I thought he looked like a better looking Ricky Gervais

Same here, and for me it was a bit distracting. No FJ for me, but I did ok in the main parts of the game. 

Last night was  bit better. I got Applejack, Lister, Superior, and the Andrea Doria. I found myself getting mad during the Stem category because she was so hard for me to understand. I was able to run the instruments and superstitions categories. I didn’t get FJ, but once I heard the answer I was duh. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

The return of The Edmund Fitzgerald!

I laughed on the couch, knowing the conversation it would stir up here. It doesn't seem that long ago since the last clue about the EF.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Oh good grief.  Walt Disney never entered my mind, but he seems so obvious in retrospect.  It has been a bad week for me in terms of FJ!

But I did get the TS of pale, edifice, bullet, Google, Lister, Superior, Concordia, and Andrea Doria.  

I said Walt Disney, but had zero confidence. I almost switched to John Williams, but I stuck with it and got my firs FJ of the week. So thank you Walt!

• Love 5

My ts's were Lone Star, bullet, Superior, and Andrea Doria - should have got Lister but I didn't.

When the Edmund Fitzgerald clue came up, I wondered if there would be anyone here who didn't get Lake Superior😄

FJ was an instaget, my first FJ of the week. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Trey said:

When the Edmund Fitzgerald clue came up, I wondered if there would be anyone here who didn't get Lake Superior😄

Yes, me.  I came up with Gitche Gumee; would that have counted? No?  

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Yes, me.  I came up with Gitche Gumee; would that have counted? No?  

They might have accepted it.  I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Same here, and for me it was a bit distracting. No FJ for me, but I did ok in the main parts of the game. 

Last night was  bit better. I got Applejack, Lister, Superior, and the Andrea Doria. I found myself getting mad during the Stem category because she was so hard for me to understand. I was able to run the instruments and superstitions categories. I didn’t get FJ, but once I heard the answer I was duh. 

I got Lister (we used to use Listerine, so it stuck) and the Andrea Doria - somehow connecting it with Patty Duke. Was she in a movie about it?

I didn't run any categories - but came close a couple of times. German was easy peasy (was once fluent and am relearning it on DuoLingo) until they came up with the word for a herd of horses. Should have been able to figure it out, but no. Ironically, horse (Pferd) was the first animal we pre-called.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Is anyone NOT going to watch when Dr. Oz hosts? Or will you hate-watch? I don't have a problem with any of the other guest hosts that have been announced, but just thinking about him makes me squirm. Blech.

I am going to watch no matter who is hosting.  Jeopardy! is all about me and the questions.

• Love 11

Just making a very quick stop in, 14 pages later, to say:

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy

From our favorite song about our favorite lake and our favorite ship, the mascot of the Jeopardy thread. A favorite of the Jeopardy writers as well, it seems.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 5
  • Love 11
11 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Is anyone NOT going to watch when Dr. Oz hosts? Or will you hate-watch? I don't have a problem with any of the other guest hosts that have been announced, but just thinking about him makes me squirm. Blech.

I will watch, if I can get my eyes to stop rolling long enough.  If I thought it was at all likely that he was being considered for the job full-time, I would consider staying away that week to register my disapproval in some small way, but I don't think it is.  I will watch for the trivia and for the contestants who have been waiting years to get on the show and couldn't've known they'd be sent to the Land of Oz.  I can't say I hope he does well, but I hope they do, and I hope he is just competent enough not to annoy me further.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Even though I did get more than I expected right last night, I feel like an idiot for not getting FJ..

This is the first time I can remember there being four triple stumpers in a row at or near the end of double jeopardy. Even more amazingly, I knew every one of them, and kept shouting the answers at the screen. I also guessed FJ and was correct, for the icing on the cake. 🙂

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I am going to watch no matter who is hosting.  Jeopardy! is all about me and the questions.

Me too. I'm not too thrilled that Oz will be hosting, but as long as he's temporary I'll be okay with it. I may b***ch about him though.

33 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I used to have that on a 45, and for those that are not old enough to remember, no that is not a gun.   I could have said 7 inch vinyl, but people might have gotten the wrong idea about that as well.  Still, I only remember them as 45s and adding that little yellow plastic funky insert in order to play it on my record player.

I just want them to pick some unknown as the new host and move on.   I wasn't thrilled with Jennings, and I don't want any known media types to take over Trebek's gig either. 

Even though I did get more than I expected right last night, I feel like an idiot for not getting FJ..

I had a lot of 45s. My first one was a golden (yellow) one of Dale Evens and Roy Rogers singing "Happy Trails to You" (I was very little, but that doesn't mean I'm not old).

I liked Ken, and would be happy to have him go on. But I will be okay with whoever they choose. I imagine they're thinking very strongly of Alex's legacy and don't want to bring someone on who'd be very divisive.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Yeah I hate that idea.  I'll still watch but he sucks as a host choice.  

Also hate the edmund fitzgerald song but knew late superior.  

Oh I said hitchcock for FJ....but duh, disney makes sense.  

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Are we sure Dr. Oz is really guest hosting? 
Spoiler tagging out of respect:

Hide contents

Won't Alex literally turn over in his grave?????

Spoiler

I doubt it.  Dr. Oz used to give clues all the time when Alex was hosting.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm not too thrilled that Oz will be hosting, but as long as he's temporary I'll be okay with it. I may b***ch about him though.

I had a lot of 45s. My first one was a golden (yellow) one of Dale Evens and Roy Rogers singing "Happy Trails to You" (I was very little, but that doesn't mean I'm not old).

I liked Ken, and would be happy to have him go on. But I will be okay with whoever they choose. I imagine they're thinking very strongly of Alex's legacy and don't want to bring someone on who'd be very divisive.

I sincerely hope so (so I'll have company)!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I ran the science category. She was a much better clue-reader than yesterday's.
Also ran Fruit Forward, And that's it. No DDs either. 64%, same as Wednesday, my two best days of the week. Bleh.
I loved how excited Lance was about his blue-ray of Ted. Sorry to see the champ go, but I like him. He was fun and enthusiastic without being obnoxious about it.

• Love 5

I also said Aristotle for FJ.  Completely forgot about Diogenes, and honestly, could have sat here all night and not remembered him.  

I liked Lance's story about the Ted DVD, but he kind of wore on my nerves as the game went on.  And if Alejandra had bet zero, she would have come in 2nd instead of 3rd!

Overall, though, a good game.  The only thing I got that they missed was the missed DD of Rock, Paper, Scissors.  There weren't very many TS, were there?

• Love 1

Me at FJ:  You have to be kidding.  i have no idea.  I don't know.  Diogenes?  I am the queen of guessers, LOL.

I got t he ts of rock paper scissors and Huns (but I did say Mongols, first).

I got the entire categories of Game theory, fruit, adjectives and girl right and the entire category of symbols wrong.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I knew quite a few in most categories this episode. I think the Covid vaccine is finally out of my system (hopefully just the unnecessary parts).

So John never seemed to recover his confidence from losing that early DD. Or was Lance just a better clicker clicker?

• Love 2

Rock, Paper, Scissors was the only stumper I got during the game, and I should have known the Huns. But I did know FJ. Diogenes is one of those "fun to talk about" historical characters. "Cynic" is derived from the Greek word for "dog," because Cynics were famous for believing the secret to happiness was DGAF, and did things in public that only dogs generally do.

Lance is what the kids call "extra."

On the serious side, I'm sad to learn about Brayden Smith. 😞

• Love 3

I read the books about Agent Pendergast and his brother is named Diogenes. The books have explained his name and its meaning so I’m a bit mad at myself for not getting FJ. 

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

There weren't very many TS, were there?

Only one on the first board and very few on Double Jeopardy. 
I’m shocked about Brayden Smith. That’s a very sad ending for the smart lad. 
I will watch no matter who is hosting. Partially because I like to post here and because it’s what Alex would want me to do. 
Will I like some of the guest hosts? No, but Alex always said that the game is the star. Not the host or contestants. 

• Love 9

I think Brayden and I would disagree about a number of things, but I'd enjoy the informed debate just as I enjoyed watching him play.  But the important thing is that is a tragically young age to die; his life was really just getting started.

I was rooting for Alejandra because of the work she does (and because she was the lone woman), but that was a great game and I can't complain.

Huns was a surprising TS, though.  And the concert category belonged in the first round.

Surprisingly, I got three Mecca clues right.  Other than the two I missed there, supernatural and rock, paper, scissors were my only other misses in the first round.  In DJ, I only missed five or six.  But I didn't know FJ.

• Love 2

Guess I'm the only one who liked the new champ. To be honest, I thought he was gonna annoy me at first but he amused me. Then again, I got some bad news this morning so maybe I just needed to watch someone who was having fun.

Hadn't seen the news about Brayden until I just googled because of the comments. So sad. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Guess I'm the only one who liked the new champ.

4 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I liked Lance too! I enjoyed his enthusiasm. 

I liked Lance's enthusiasm too. He seems more likely to bounce back from a DD loss, but maybe not.

Shocked about Brayden. 

• Love 2

Well I was about to comment that I like Lance (he reminded me of a dad in a 90's sitcom). But then I read about what happened to Braydon, I'm shocked :(. 24!? That is way to young. My heart goes out the family :(.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Brayden Smith, Alex's last five-day champion, has passed away at 24.  No cause has been disclosed but it seems it was unexpected.  How especially sad for his family and friends, but it seems we have all lost someone who looked forward to a life spent in service to others.  May he rest in peace!  I'm really shocked by this news.

I was so shocked, and very saddened. It always hurts to see someone so young pass away.

I was fighting off sleep for most of Jeopardy yesterday, so I apparently missed being annoyed by Lance. Good thing I'll get another look at him. I often like contestants other members of the forum don't.

I did run "Girl", but otherwise just came close in a couple of others. Screwed the pooch in FJ, which has sadly become a habit lately. I'll blame it on sleepiness this time. 😉

• Love 2

I was tickled that I ran "Best Actress Roles" without having seen any of the films in question.  Shameful, I know!  I am interested in all of them but they just haven't come up yet.  It's only been about two years since I was really bitten by the movie bug.  I said "go for broke" instead of "go all in."  I wonder.  Perhaps not specific enough.

He set my teeth on edge once or twice, but I didn't mind Lance on balance.  I know many people who are similarly over-the-top and, while I might not enjoy sharing a narrowly enclosed space with them, I often admire their passion and exuberance and find them very authentic, which excuses a multitude of behaviors I find obnoxious when they seem put-on.  I understand why he pushed people's buttons, though.

One thing I wish Ken would avoid doing, for lack of a better description, is acting a little flip or dismissive about some triple stumpers.  He's done this just a few times as he's started to get comfortable, but it's annoyed me. He did it last night on the "what does the eye atop the pyramid on a dollar bill mean" clue, when nobody rang in and he said, "that's apparently the Eye of Providence," with a yawning shrug implied, I thought.  Now, my psyche is not so fragile that I felt personally belittled when Ken didn't seem to think much of a piece of trivia I knew from my childhood hobby collecting coins and bills.  I do, however, think it's the host's responsibility to exude command of the board, not to suggest that perhaps he didn't know it either, and certainly not to trivialize (chosen advisedly) whatever material shows up.  Is this just me?

Edited by 853fisher
forgot about the poker clue
  • Love 5