Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I don't think I've ever heard of a Maui onion. The only onion I could think of was Vidalia, but I also know they're named after a town in Georgia. Now I want onion rings.

I know I've heard of the newspaper Le Figaro but it's not something readily available in my brain. I have seen The Marriage of Figaro, though.

• Love 3

No clue on FJ today. I also said Charlie Hebdo just because it was the only thing I could think of that was a name, but I figured it was wrong. Never would have come up with Figaro myself but as soon as I saw it written I knew that was correct.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

No clue on FJ today. I also said Charlie Hebdo just because it was the only thing I could think of that was a name, but I figured it was wrong. Never would have come up with Figaro myself but as soon as I saw it written I knew that was correct.

I just said Figaro because I wasn't sure of the article.  I was thinking Spanish but El Figaro didn't sound right and it wouldn't be La Firgaro so I just left the article off completely.  I forgot about it being French.  I wonder if they would have just accepted Figaro?

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Is it just me or did get a long time to come up with overwrought?

It was so long that I had already started writing it down on my list of ts's and missed DDs.  I was surprised when he finally pulled it out and I had to cross it off my list.

Ts's I did get were stratosphere, bulb, and underpass.

No FJ for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

21 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

Katie's top wasn't purple; it was lavender.  Purple is dark and lavender is a light version of purple, and it did look silvery.

I saw it as lavender too. I shrugged off the purple because it's in the same color family.

15 hours ago, Roaster said:

Overwrought?  Good job pulling that out of your brain, Dave.  I wouldn't have.

I would never have gotten it - dead tired last night (that's my excuse and I'm running with it). Mr, Starling got it and I was way impressed.

I use maui onions when I can. I make a lot of onion based dishes and soups, so I do try to switch it up. (for me, there's never too much onion)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Trey said:

It was so long that I had already started writing it down on my list of ts's and missed DDs.  I was surprised when he finally pulled it out and I had to cross it off my list.

Me, too, LOL.

• Love 1

I spent too much time contemplating if they meant DC or state and blurted out Antietam at the last second.  I would not have gotten if  I were actually palying.   

I got the mssed DD of  Hoover.

I got the entire categories of pop culture, and lit right and the entire before and after category wrong.

• Love 2

Only two DDs today, two TS (magicians, Parson Weems) and no FJ. Bleh. Still not my worst game of the week. I got all the Secrets and didn't miss more than two in any category.

FJ was an instaget for me.  Yay, asterisk!  And by the way, Katie, it's not "Chickamonga", it's "Chickamauga". 

The only TS I got was magicians.

Another fine example of why the distant third place contestant should bet zero for FJ.

• Love 5

I got FJ before the hubby (a walking Civil War almanac and the person who introduced me to hiking battlefields) did, so tonight's FJ was a major victory for me.  Was Chickamauga an answer elsewhere that I missed? Or was it just mentioned as one place that was not a correct answer?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

Was Chickamauga an answer elsewhere that I missed? Or was it just mentioned as one place that was not a correct answer?

After revealing the correct answer, Katie said that there are three Civil War battlefields with Native American names -- Antietam, "Chickamonga", and Chattanooga.  Seems like there are more (Manassas?  Appomattox?  Kennesaw?), but maybe those three are the only Algonquian ones.  Well, except for how Katie pronounced Chickamauga.  I've never heard it pronounced the way she did.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

I got FJ before the hubby (a walking Civil War almanac and the person who introduced me to hiking battlefields) did, so tonight's FJ was a major victory for me.  Was Chickamauga an answer elsewhere that I missed? Or was it just mentioned as one place that was not a correct answer?

When she told them the correct FJ response, Katie mentioned that three Civil War sites have Native American names (Chattanooga, Chickamauga, and Antietam).

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

When she told them the correct FJ response, Katie mentioned that three Civil War sites have Native American names (Chattanooga, Chickamauga, and Antietam).

44 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

After revealing the correct answer, Katie said that there are three Civil War battlefields with Native American names -- Antietam, "Chickamonga", and Chattanooga.  Seems like there are more (Manassas?  Appomattox?  Kennesaw?), but maybe those three are the only Algonquian ones.  Well, except for how Katie pronounced Chickamauga.  I've never heard it pronounced the way she did.

Aha - thank you.  I was probably wooohooing and drowned her out.

Edited by Miss Anne Thrope
  • Love 2

I would normally say the owner of a 20-pound cat who eats anything and everything it can get its paws on needs to have poor kitty's blood sugar checked, but it sounds like this is a longstanding thing and he's just a big 'ol Maine Coon who likes food.

The Captain Morgan TS surprised me a bit because of the rum hint (the only reason I got it).  Stomping ground beef initially surprised me, but I think those Before & After clues are probably pretty hard under game conditions.

Wasn't John Wayne known as The Duke, rather than Duke?  I am not a fan, but even I know that.  Maybe he was also known as Duke, but I've never heard that.

I missed two each in abbreviations and pop culture and was as stumped as the contestants by rankle, but got everything else in the first round.

In DJ, I only missed two each in lit and Grant Wood plus one lab.  But I hate war history, so I'm pretty bad at it, and joined the contestants in being stumped by FJ.

• Love 1

Speaking of the Exxon Valdez and Captain Hazelwood, a popular sea chantey in 1989 was:
What shall we do with a drunken sailor [3 times]
Early in the morning?
Keep him away from the oil tanker,
Don't let him near the oil tanker,
Don't let him steer the oil tanker,
Early in the morning!

• LOL 6
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Another fine example of why the distant third place contestant should bet zero for FJ.

It seems to me that we've seen more of these in a short time frame (weeks?) than ever before.

13 hours ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

Mine's the same. He was thrown by McKinley and went on a different tangent. Neither of us got it, but afterwards I said "I guess McKinley fought at that battle." So at least I got the connection with McKinley visiting it twice.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Captain Morgan TS surprised me a bit because of the rum hint (the only reason I got it).  Stomping ground beef initially surprised me, but I think those Before & After clues are probably pretty hard under game conditions.

Those clues are hard for me in butt on sofa conditions. My mind doesn't really work that way, and these seemed particularly hard.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm not sure that I knew Captain Morgan was a real person.

I learned it on Jeopardy. Not that I ever get a question about him right.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did but I still didn't get it and then felt dumb because the rum clue was so obvious in hindsight.

My first thought for Civil War battles was of course Gettysburg but I thought "that's not an Algonquin word." The one guy said Monmouth, which is a.) in New Jersey, b.) a Revolutionary, not Civil, War battle site (which is now a nice park and orchards and stuff). There are a lot of Native American place names (mostly Lenape, I believe) around here but Monmouth ain't one of 'em.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Wasn't John Wayne known as The Duke, rather than Duke?  I am not a fan, but even I know that.  Maybe he was also known as Duke, but I've never heard that.

I'm not either, but in the "I Love Lucy" episodes he did in 1955, they all call him "Duke" without the article.  Some quick Googling shows it both ways.  It seems that perhaps those who knew him personally were more likely to drop "the"?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And by the way, Katie, it's not "Chickamonga", it's "Chickamauga". 

Perhaps she was thinking of or influenced by the movie Camp Cucamonga or the song The Battle of Kookamonga.

No ts's for me but I did get FJ fairly quickly.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I'm not either, but in the "I Love Lucy" episodes he did in 1955, they all call him "Duke" without the article.  Some quick Googling shows it both ways.  It seems that perhaps those who knew him personally were more likely to drop "the"?

I believe the nickname "Duke" came well before Wayne's showbiz career. As a football player at USC somebody figured "Duke Morrison" was more manly than his given name, Marion.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/11/2021 at 5:02 PM, Trey said:

This is the clue so I don't think it would have counted:

eta: same nickel but I think they were going for Indian head.  bwdik.

That makes sense.  I couldn't remember the exact wording of the clue.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:01 PM, Roaster said:

I always seem to get opera clues even though I know absolutely nothing about opera.

Opera is my absolute best category.  I think I've only ever missed one opera clue.  But I love opera, so that helps a lot.  And I've seen copies of Le Figaro.

• Love 1
On 3/12/2021 at 8:01 PM, Katy M said:

I spent too much time contemplating if they meant DC or state and blurted out Antietam at the last second.

I'm a native Marylander, and am deeply ashamed that I did not get the FJ.  I got there at one point, but all I could think was "Sharpsburg" and knew that wasn't from the Algonquin.  I couldn't come up with "Antietam" to save my life.

On 3/12/2021 at 10:32 PM, Bastet said:

Both.  My mother is the biggest John Wayne fan in the universe.  I learn these things by osmosis.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I learned that from a Cherry Ames book.  Then read more about him in various books about pirates.  Due to his success in Panama, he ended being named royal governor of Jamaica - not bad for someone who previously was a wanted pirate.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I did but I still didn't get it and then felt dumb because the rum clue was so obvious in hindsight.

My first thought for Civil War battles was of course Gettysburg but I thought "that's not an Algonquin word." The one guy said Monmouth, which is a.) in New Jersey, b.) a Revolutionary, not Civil, War battle site (which is now a nice park and orchards and stuff). There are a lot of Native American place names (mostly Lenape, I believe) around here but Monmouth ain't one of 'em.

I don't remember the clue specifying "Civil War" battlefields...

TheJeopardyFan.com says: "8 Pres. have visited this battle site with an Algonquian name about 50 miles from Washington; for McKinley, it was a return visit"

It might have easily been a Revolutionary War site if McKinley's first visit hadn't been as a participant in the battle.  It was Katie enumerating the 3 battlefileds that mentioned Civil War.

9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It might have easily been a Revolutionary War site if McKinley's first visit hadn't been as a participant in the battle.  It was Katie enumerating the 3 battlefileds that mentioned Civil War.

Ah, you're right; Civil War was in my head because of her comment, not the clue.

• Love 2

I got "Antietam" as Final Jeopardy, but only because I used to date a guy who claimed that in a past life he was killed at the Battle of Antietam (on the Confederate side). He also claimed that in another past life he rode with Quantrill's Raiders. Unfortunately, he didn't see the problem with that, timewise...not a history buff so much...

• LOL 5
3 hours ago, Ava said:

I got "Antietam" as Final Jeopardy, but only because I used to date a guy who claimed that in a past life he was killed at the Battle of Antietam (on the Confederate side). He also claimed that in another past life he rode with Quantrill's Raiders. Unfortunately, he didn't see the problem with that, timewise...not a history buff so much...

He's also consistently on the wrong side of history. I'd be put off by that even more than his imaginative historical pluralism.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Ava said:

Maybe when he dies he doesn't come back as a baby, but leaps into full grown men.

• LOL 5

And by the way, Katie, it's not "Chickamonga", it's "Chickamauga". 

Perhaps she was thinking of or influenced by the movie Camp Cucamonga or the song The Battle of Kookamonga.

i thought maybe she had a Chickichanga breakfast at First Watch 🙂

I had zero clue for FJ. I would really have to bone up on the Civil War, among other topics *cough* opera *cough*

• Love 1
On 3/14/2021 at 3:10 PM, Ava said:

Sounds like you dated twins!

• LOL 1

It drives me nuts when they leave the first clue in every category for last.

Man, I did terrible tonight. I'm gonna blame Daylight Saving.

I just checked the archive and there were only three TS; I got none of them. I did get two of the DDs, Citadel and booster; Rasputin was on the tip of my brain but it didn't come to me in time. Which annoys because my 9th grade social studies teacher wrote a play about the Romanovs that we performed in class (I was the narrator; it was great because I got to read my part).

And FJ was an instaget.

• Love 2

I said Pandora.  I knew the pan part.  Oh well.

No ts's.  I don't think there were very many, if any, beyond the missed DD  Not sure.

I got the entire category of Lit.  

I had a horrific DJ, and since I got FJ wrong also, tonight was kind of a bust.

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  I would have gotten it anyway, but it probably didn't hurt that the movies were on TV over the weekend.   

I did not get any TS -- in fact, I don't remember any TS!  I did, however, get the missed DD of booster.   

• Love 1
Just now, ams1001 said:

There were three TS, all in Double J - Grambling State U ($1600 clue), Albrecht Durer, and Peterhof (both $2000 clues).

Oh, right.  I didn't know any of those.  I've heard of Grambling and Durer -- but I've never heard of Peterhof.