Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Six Episode Talk

• Start Topic

Oh, god, so many great one-liners during the bit about Gaetz in the monologue tonight. "Her name is Ginger Luckey, which is ironic, because she's not a redhead and she's engaged to Matt Gaetz." XD. I also cracked up at his take on Gaetz' "I have not yet begun to fight" line. I said this in the "Last Week Tongiht" forum, but all this stuff about Gaetz' boneheaded moves regarding Venmo just has me thinking he'd be a perfect subject for an episode of "Dateline". 

I like the idea of having chocolate chip cookies on hand after getting the vaccine-maybe my mom and I should stock up on those before we get our second shot next month :D. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I meant to say, too, that I loved Stephen inviting viewers to come up with names for you know who. Times like this I wish I had a Twitter account :p. I look forward to seeing what kinds of ideas people will come up with. 

3 hours ago, catlover79 said:

By the way, John Boehner's interview was great. 

I shared Stephen's frustration at some of Boehner's answers, especially the "both sides" stuff and whatnot. But we all seem to be in full agreement on Boehner's description of Cruz, so...that's something? 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I shared Stephen's frustration at some of Boehner's answers, especially the "both sides" stuff and whatnot. But we all seem to be in full agreement on Boehner's description of Cruz, so...that's something? 

Yes, and the fact that he's an Ohioan means he's not ALL bad. 😉

21 hours ago, Annber03 said:

but all this stuff about Gaetz' boneheaded moves regarding Venmo just has me thinking he'd be a perfect subject for an episode of "Dateline". 

Where's Chris Hansen when we really need him? 😉

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I prefer to call it his "both sides" BULLSHIT.

Just saw the show and my eyes 🙄🙄🙄🙄 and 😒😒😒😒😒 at the hypocritical lying asshole. And the careful words he used to tell Stephen what he thinks about President Obama, was very telling.

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just saw the show and my eyes 🙄🙄🙄🙄 and 😒😒😒😒😒 at the hypocritical lying asshole. And the careful words he used to tell Stephen what he thinks about President Obama, was very telling.

Mmhm. He's right in acknowledging when some of the more fanatical elements of his party began to really show themselves, in 2009, 2010, and thereabouts...but I was sitting here thinking, "Yeah, and why do you think those elements came to power at that particular time period?" He's so close to hitting on the real reason behind the shift that took place in his party around that time, but of course, he'll never dare actually acknowledge it, or say it out loud. 

• Love 10
34 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Mmhm. He's right in acknowledging when some of the more fanatical elements of his party began to really show themselves, in 2009, 2010, and thereabouts...but I was sitting here thinking, "Yeah, and why do you think those elements came to power at that particular time period?" He's so close to hitting on the real reason behind the shift that took place in his party around that time, but of course, he'll never dare actually acknowledge it, or say it out loud. 

Not his cup of tea?

10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I prefer to call it his "both sides" BULLSHIT.

He said Biden and McConnell would both get crucified for making a deal. For one side that's a genuine possibility.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I’m older than Stephen, and old enough to know I was not going to watch (or read or listen to) Boehner —–who in my mind is The Original Orange Guy. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Stephen's 

"Chardonooooo!" and

"Keep your Pinot in your pants!"

Had me 🤣😂😂

I loved when he was talking about how they would take away people's phones at those parties Gaetz attended, because they didn't want the night's activities documented, and he said something to the effect of, "To which the girls replied, 'It's sex with Matt Gaetz. Neither do we.'" :p. 

(Seriously, though, so they removed phones to keep stuff from being documented, but did their financial transactions through Venmo, which made it easy to track them. The sheer amount of stupidity involved in this scandal is just...truly something.)

As did his interview with Taylor Swift--her "muse board" that was filled with pictures of Stephen over the years!

That was so cute and fun :D. I loved her going into detail about various time periods in his past :p. 

• Love 5

Loved, loved, loved Stephen’s skewering of MTG’s valorizing of Anglo-Saxon culture! The general historical scene painting and the Beowulf reference were great, but my favorite was him pointing out that Anglo-Saxon culture also came from mass migrations of people fleeing bad conditions.

• Love 7

Agreed. Great comments from both him and Jon Batiste tonight regarding today's news. I too send my thoughts out to Floyd's family. 

Fun interview with Cher :)! I love the whole thing of her helping that elephant, and singing to it! Aw. 

Also, "Gnome Chomsky" in the "Meanwhile" segment made me laugh :D. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, ahisma said:

Loved, loved, loved Stephen’s skewering of MTG’s valorizing of Anglo-Saxon culture! The general historical scene painting and the Beowulf reference were great, but my favorite was him pointing out that Anglo-Saxon culture also came from mass migrations of people fleeing bad conditions.

“Hwæt?!”  Someone really knows their Beowulf, and he said that perfectly!  

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, freddi said:

“Hwæt?!”  Someone really knows their Beowulf, and he said that perfectly!  

Yeah, anyone who shows their ignorance of classic literature/fantasy novels (especially anything LOTR)/the Bible does so at their own risk. Stephen will school you so fast your head will spin. 

• Love 6

"Tucker, I'm gonna point out that the very first person you saw when you came into the world was wearing a mask." 

Loved that, along with "mask-hole". Holy shit, Tucker, take the dramatics down about fifty notches. What the hell

That "Sandman" parody may have been long, but I liked it :D. 

• Love 7

I LOVE how both Stephen and Evie are bursting with parental-like pride for OSCAR WINNER Jon Batiste!! Melts my heart every time.

It'll never happen, but I would love for Stephen to have Tucker Carlson on just to heckle him. We all know Stephen would mop the floor with him!

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

I LOVE how both Stephen and Evie are bursting with parental-like pride for OSCAR WINNER Jon Batiste!! Melts my heart every time.

That was so cute :D. 

• Love 3
On 4/28/2021 at 1:46 PM, Annber03 said:

"Tucker, I'm gonna point out that the very first person you saw when you came into the world was wearing a mask." 

That makes sense. If I helped bring Tucker into the world, I'd hide my face too.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Hopefully someday I'll meet the Stephen to my Evie. 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

Same :). My mom's talked before about how every time Stephen looks over at her, his eyes just light up, and she thinks that's just the cutest thing. I liked the bit at the end of their segment tonight when he said something like, "I had a good time on this date and I would like to see you again"-I could've seen him saying something like that to her back at the beginning of their relationship :D. 

My favorite part of tonight's monologue, when Stephen was talking about how scary it was last year when New York City was the epicenter for the pandemic:

"And it takes a lot to scare New Yorkers. Just today, when I was coming into work, I saw a drunk guy standing outside with his hands down his pants yelling about how the government was out to get him, and I said, 'Stay away from me, Rudy'." 

Got a really good laugh out of that :D. Also liked the ASPCA parody ad for the robot dog. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I liked the bit at the end of their segment tonight when he said something like, "I had a good time on this date and I would like to see you again"-I could've seen him saying something like that to her back at the beginning of their relationship :D. 

They do flirt like crazy, don't they? 🥰

• Love 3

curious to know if i’m the only one who feels this way.

first i want to say that i love ‘the late show’ — would not have gotten through the t**** years without it — and loved ‘the colbert report.’ 

however...

i’ve grown to hate that claustrophobic broom closet of a set where there’s not enough room for the camera to move back or forth. i think it’s been affecting the energy of the show, and not in a good way, at least for me. of course, i’ve been living and working in a studio apartment for the past year plus, so it might just be me. but it all feels so constricted and compressed — even the brief exchange between stephen and jon baptiste has taken on a pro forma quality.

i’ve never been clear why the producers decided on such a small space when the show returned to ny in early august, after broadcasting from south carolina since late march. was is less expensive; did they think the small space would feel more intimate than an empty theater? maybe initially, but after all these months, it suffers by comparison with with kimmel, meyers, and cordon (not a fallon fan:)

interested to hear what others think.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

i’ve grown to hate that claustrophobic broom closet of a set where there’s not enough room for the camera to move back or forth.

I hated it from day 1.  But then, I hated the broadcast from his house, too. 

Bill Maher has had a limited in-house audience for months now.  Why can't the other talk shows consider that, too?

I may be wrong, but I think that's Stephen's office in the studio? At first I thought it was his office at home, but I didn't fast forward the announcer for once, and it sounded like she said he was at the studio?

• Love 1

It's in the Ed Sullivan office building.  I think I read somewhere that it used to be a storage closet, but was "renovated" for this.  I also think that Stephen said he didn't want to go into an empty theatre because it's so big and would be too depressing.  Or something like that.  

Those 2 things are off the top of my addled head, so they may be true, or I may have just dreamed them... 

The theatre is big, and very beautiful.  I hope they can get back in soon with a proper audience. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

I also think that Stephen said he didn't want to go into an empty theatre because it's so big and would be too depressing.  Or something like that. 

I believe you’re right, but there must be a middle ground compromise somewhere between the closet and the Ed Sullivan Theater.

Edited by opus
  • Love 3

I like the current set.  It feels as if we are sitting just across the desk from Stephen, rather than watching him far away on a stage.

• Love 6

The set does not bother me.  I am there for Steve and Evie.

Is the Friday show kind of a clip/rerun show?  I see a lot of "A"-list guests for Friday who have been on the show recently.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, freddi said:

The set does not bother me.  I am there for Steve and Evie.

Is the Friday show kind of a clip/rerun show?  I see a lot of "A"-list guests for Friday who have been on the show recently.  

It was new. Those people got the Colbert Questionaire.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, opus said:

It was new. Those people got the Colbert Questionaire.

Thank you!  Will stay up at the end of a very long week!   (west coast time) 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I hate the questionnaire, I never find it interesting or funny in any way. So I skipped the episode. Was there any other content? If so, I might look for it on demand.

New monologue, and a Teddy Swims performance at the end.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, possibilities said:

I hate the questionnaire, I never find it interesting or funny in any way. So I skipped the episode. Was there any other content? If so, I might look for it on demand.

This time I didn't love the questionnaire--I didn't feel like the people were fun, but I have to admit I really loved when he had Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep take it (and someone else I'm forgetting I think). They took it "seriously" and didn't take it seriously at the same time (they answered the questions without hesitation but sometimes had a silly (yet sometimes still thoughtful) answer). Ringo just looked like he wanted to be answering anything else. It really depends on the person he gets to take the questionnaire I think.

But this question suddenly makes me wonder about things they show used to do and doesn't now. Like the big furry hat, or confessions. I don't think COVID procedures would necessarily stop these things--but I think even prior to COVID they hadn't been on in a while. Can anyone think of other things they did a lot then just kind of...stopped doing? Has Meanwhile/Quarantinewhile been with the show the whole time (obviously not specifically Quarantinewhile).

• Love 2

Yeah, I miss the Midnight Confessions segment. 

I liked the questionnaire with John Oliver last night, that one was fun :). I'm with Stephen in wanting John to wear his Grateful Dead jacket next time they talk (or hell, even on his own show if he so wishes) :p. 

• Love 3

Eh, I don’t mind the Questionnaire. Especially if we get to see previously recorded but never aired stuff in lieu of a rerun. I can get on board with John Oliver’s take on what happens when you die. Something like, you’re at peace, like settling into a comfy chair after a hard day. 

• Love 6

I don't mind the questionnaire or the set so much. What I really hate is his word salad that goes on and on as an intro to Quarantine/Meanwhile. I usually mute that part. Gah!

• Love 8
On 4/30/2021 at 8:57 PM, ebk57 said:

The theatre is big, and very beautiful.  I hope they can get back in soon with a proper audience. 

Well, NYC is set to fully reopen July 1st. We shall see.

• Love 4