Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Six Episode Talk

• Start Topic

Just now, Annber03 said:

Ooh, thanks for the video, will be watching that shortly, then :)! 

I know there's a DVD out there of the performance of Company that Stephen was in. I need to add that to my "to buy" list, I want to see that. 

It's excellent!  I was hoping to find that number on YouTube from the actual show, but this was all I could come up with quickly.  Do get the DVD if you can. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

It's excellent!  I was hoping to find that number on YouTube from the actual show, but this was all I could come up with quickly.  Do get the DVD if you can. 

That video just convinced me even more :D. Thanks again for sharing that, that was really fun. Stephen looked like he was having so much fun. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, DanaK said:

It cracks me up that Stephen won't say Trump's actual name and they mask it when they show some print (or use an alternative)

I got so used to it that I almost expected something bad to happen when Christine Baranski mentioned him few times. I thought Stephen would tell her that one more time and she summons him, or something like that.

• LOL 7

I was disappointed when Stephen dropped that ridiculous voice after the election, although I can understand why. So it was satisfying to see him bring that voice back last night. Even if it was for a one night only affair.

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Nobody is going to deny that Christine Baranski has had "work" done, but she does look fabulous in that pantsuit. 

And whoever did that work is a wizard with a scalpel. Christine Baranski looks gorgeous!

• Love 3
(edited)
21 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I also got a good laugh out of Stephen's mock offended reaction to being lumped into the general mention of "other late night hosts" when talking about that news story with the former guy and the DOJ. "I should get more than a '...and the rest' mention!" XD. 

I couldn't follow it because he read it so fast, but the NY Times (nytimes.com/2021/06/23/arts/television/jimmy-kimmel-trump-snl.html) included the YouTube of the bit and quoted it: 

Stephen Colbert joked that he thought he should get a higher billing on Trump’s list of nuisances, saying, “My name should be in lights on the stadium where they’re executing us for our terrible impressions of him!”

“Folks, this is dangerous, disturbing, un-American — and why do I get lumped in with ‘other comedy mischief-makers’? I don’t get it! What’s a guy gotta do? All due respect to my dear friend James Tiberius Kimmel, but if the D.O.J. thugs are kicking down doors to round up the late-night chuckleheads to drag us off to Mar-a-Gulago to be assassinated, I should get more than ‘and the rest.’ I do not appreciate the ‘Mary Ann and Professor’ treatment here!” — STEPHEN COLBERT

“It’s strange. There has not been a presidential overreaction like this since Nixon sent Navy SEALs to assassinate the Smothers Brothers.” — STEPHEN COLBERT

1 hour ago, Victor the Crab said:

I was disappointed when Stephen dropped that ridiculous voice after the election, although I can understand why. So it was satisfying to see him bring that voice back last night. Even if it was for a one night only affair.

And whoever did that work is a wizard with a scalpel. Christine Baranski looks gorgeous!

I just wish they'd make those gorgeous clothes in sizes that are the same proportion but for smaller boned people. (That is not what "Petite" or "Short" sizes are.)
But I'm not likely to be appearing as a guest on Colbert or to be having an event to attend on Broadway, and I'm guessing the tiny famous ladies (like Kristin Chenoweth-size through Kelly Ripa-size) can have stuff altered or recreated in their sizes. Still, I loved Baranski's pants gown, and her outfits on The Good Wife were always fabulous too.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I got so used to it that I almost expected something bad to happen when Christine Baranski mentioned him few times. I thought Stephen would tell her that one more time and she summons him, or something like that.

They should have bleeped it. That would have been fun.

Her sparkly outfit was gorgeous. 

I liked that Stephen interrupted her when she was talking about the performers who had not worked in over a year, to interject that it wasn't just the performers. This is not the first time she's seemed to think only of the actors and not the crew and other "support staff" when she's talked about the hardships for Broadway during the pandemic.

I appreciated the audience booing McConnell.

Could anyone hear what the audience member was saying that caused Stephen to stop, ask them to stand up, and then later to decline their invitation? Was it an offer of an orgy?

I noticed that I was straining to see the individual band members other than Jon B, now that they're no longer showcased in their zoom boxes. They are all in shadow, in the back, now.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Could anyone hear what the audience member was saying that caused Stephen to stop, ask them to stand up, and then later to decline their invitation? Was it an offer of an orgy?

It was something along the lines of "I can give you my card" or "do you want my card?".  As in, hey, I'm the guy who can arrange something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:
18 minutes ago, possibilities said:

It was something along the lines of "I can give you my card" or "do you want my card?".  As in, hey, I'm the guy who can arrange something.

Oh. I thought he was saying, "in my car," like things that happened in cars in high school.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Sorry Stephen, but we are still in a pandemic.

In his interview with Wanda Sykes, he asks her how she's feeling now that the pandemic has ended.

But I laughed my ass off when he said he didn't get the credit he was due by being named in the "number of late night hosts" or whatever.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I laughed my ass off when he said he didn't get the credit he was due by being named in the "number of late night hosts" or whatever.

Further proof that there is nothing new in the world - this reminded me of how people were upset they were not on Richard Nixon's enemies list.  And there were some who were on it who said it was their greatest triumph!

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

I agree that Christine Baransky looks great, but I was a little put off by her overt flirting with Stephen. She basically asked him to go on a date with her, without his wife.  Yes, I realize it was mostly schtick, but couldn't help wondering how I would feel if I were his wife.  She is probably used to it and I am just an old person who doesn't get the humor.  Can you imagine if Stephen and Christine did go out without Evvie, how tongues would wag?  Team Evvie here.

• Love 3

I kinda felt sorry for the Thursday night audience; they DID get to see Stephen and the band, but they didn't get to see an in-person guest. 

I had no idea Robert Duvall is 90; he is beginning to look his years. He seemed to enjoy the interview.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I kinda felt sorry for the Thursday night audience; they DID get to see Stephen and the band, but they didn't get to see an in-person guest. 

I had no idea Robert Duvall is 90; he is beginning to look his years. He seemed to enjoy the interview.

I think it could possibly be Duvall's last interview with anyone anywhere. 🙁
At least they managed to do the drama-version of "Yes, and" with each other.🙂 
Dear Mr. Duvall: If someone is reading this to you, I would be happy for you to prove me wrong and for you to have at least a walk-on part in some production in the future.💖

3 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I agree that Christine Baransky looks great, but I was a little put off by her overt flirting with Stephen. She basically asked him to go on a date with her, without his wife.  Yes, I realize it was mostly schtick, but couldn't help wondering how I would feel if I were his wife.  She is probably used to it and I am just an old person who doesn't get the humor.  Can you imagine if Stephen and Christine did go out without Evvie, how tongues would wag?  Team Evvie here.

I felt the same, @debbie311, and tried to rationalize it the same as you too. I just keep trying to focus on the bit where Stephen looked into the camera and asked for Evie's permission, figuring that means at least either they had planned it, or he is going to make it up to her Big Time.

• Love 2

I agreed about the date thing with Baranski. I really wanted him to decline, flat out. Or counter offer that they go on a double date with his wife and Baranski's plus 1.

I suppose there's an argument to be made that men and women can be friends and there's no inherent impropriety about it, but her going out of her way to call it a date and exclude his wife, to me, takes that argument out of the picture.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

It was probably a holdover audience from another night. At the beginning Stephen said “nothing like a Thursday crowd”. That’s his tell that it’s not actually being filmed on the day mentioned. He used to do that all the time for Friday shows that were filmed on Thursday. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

They did get Brian Stack. Hey, I’m counting it 🙂

• Love 2
On 6/25/2021 at 12:31 PM, possibilities said:

I suppose there's an argument to be made that men and women can be friends and there's no inherent impropriety about it

And I 100% saw it this way. They are colleagues with shared experiences, and show biz creates even closer relationships than most colleagues. I think Christine put a tiny bit of emphasis on how “naughty” it would be for him to go to a show with someone else as a joke, with the understanding that everybody on planet Earth knows how devoted Stephen is to Evie.

• Love 11
58 minutes ago, ahisma said:

And I 100% saw it this way. They are colleagues with shared experiences, and show biz creates even closer relationships than most colleagues. I think Christine put a tiny bit of emphasis on how “naughty” it would be for him to go to a show with someone else as a joke, with the understanding that everybody on planet Earth knows how devoted Stephen is to Evie.

Well, at least anyone who's been watching the show for the last year or so.

• Love 5

I'm confident that if Mrs. Colbert genuinely believed Miss Baranski had attempted to genuinely try to sabotage the Colbert union, that Mrs. Colbert would shred Mr. Colbert and Miss Baranski with her tongue so fiercely that their respective bridgework vwould have melted inside their mouths.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, ahisma said:

I agree. And I will take this as another confirmation that I am oblivious to some human interactions, because I did not see any flirting there and was surprised what everyone here is talking about 😄.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I agree. And I will take this as another confirmation that I am oblivious to some human interactions, because I did not see any flirting there and was surprised what everyone here is talking about 😄.

Well, Stephen kind of fueled the viewer jealousy on behalf of Evie when he peered into the camera and asked Evie’s permission for him to go out with Christine. I don’t know why they went with that bit, but I don’t get a lot of humor. 

Aw, how cool that Katja Herbers' first late night U.S. appearance is on Stephen's show :D? I loved her stories about the knife and the headaches-that poor man with the knife!

Also, as a "Frasier" fan, I very much enjoyed the cold open :D.

(Seriously, though, all of you sweating it out in the northwestern U.S., I feel for you. It's been warm to hot here, too, but not quite that bad (*Knocks wood*). I hope a cooldown comes your way soon!)

• Love 1

I have to say, I was looking forward to not having to hear about your former president ever again, so I'm a little disappointed that Stephen continues to give him coverage even if nothing new happened. Must have been a slow news weekend.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I love Colbert because he touches on the stuff I actually want to hear about He Who Shall Not Be Named on Colbert!

I think Colbert and other TV hosts/comics covering similar issues from a similar perspective may have brought about love-hate watching, which I define as loving to watch someone expressing the same outrage you feel about persons or issues. I’m not sure it’s entirely healthy, but if I get at least one big laugh out of a monologue, it at least breaks even with regards to feel-good vs. upset. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 9

I personally love the sustained boos, jeers and other vitriol the live audience gives that we didn't get in quarantine format. The people that Stephen mentions deserve every single boo!!!! 😊

• Love 7

What I'm realizing is that I really don't want a lot of screaming right before I go to sleep. The roar of the audience is probably a lot less obnoxious in the middle of the day, but I'm trying to wind down, not amp up, at that hour.

I appreciate the booing in theory. But in reality, I am finding the show increasingly boring and unwatchable now that it's more stunt driven and loud.

It's not just the format, but also the guests that are different. I don't feel motivated to watch people come on and bow repeatedly and bathe in the audience applause, then slowly make their way to the interview, continuing to bask in the attention, and then performatively gush about their latest project. The quarantine interviews were more interesting because they wasted less time and were less about selling their project and fluffing their egos, and were forced to talk about actual topics beyond what you can see in any ad buy.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, possibilities said:

What I'm realizing is that I really don't want a lot of screaming right before I go to sleep. The roar of the audience is probably a lot less obnoxious in the middle of the day, but I'm trying to wind down, not amp up, at that hour.

In contrast, I can fall asleep at the commercial and totally miss all the cheering and booing.

But there may be an audio option on your TV (if that's how you watch) that makes the audience less noisy, even though the options are listed as enhancing things like "music."

I am in the habit of keeping the volume down so I am not broadcasting it to the neighborhood, especially when the windows are open, so I run Closed Captions, but they don't work well on this show because of the other jokey text graphics they often put at the bottom of the screen.

• Love 1
On 6/28/2021 at 9:36 PM, Annber03 said:

Aw, how cool that Katja Herbers' first late night U.S. appearance is on Stephen's show :D? I loved her stories about the knife and the headaches-that poor man with the knife!

Also, as a "Frasier" fan, I very much enjoyed the cold open :D.

(Seriously, though, all of you sweating it out in the northwestern U.S., I feel for you. It's been warm to hot here, too, but not quite that bad (*Knocks wood*). I hope a cooldown comes your way soon!)

The "Frasier" opening came while it was still warm!  And yes, it was perfect!

We are already back in the 60s  in the early evenings, too chilly even to keep the windows open.  This is "normal".  

• Love 1
On 7/3/2021 at 3:50 PM, JustHereForFood said:

Was I the only one here who found the Israel/Palestine conflict fakeout to be in poor taste?

I also thought that of the extended Cara Delevinge's 'vaginal tunnel' segment was also in poor taste.

Seriously, I get that it's her home and she can put whatever legal decor/design she wants in it. However IMO, it would have been better had Mr. Colbert just mentioned it in passing for a single sentence with a tiny glimpse of it  then nothing more than a bemused eye-roll on his part (that he does so well) rather than making it a significant part of the monologue . Yes, I know that there was some 'reality' show that that exchange was taken from but I say, it would have been in far better taste  had he just   have let any interested viewers (which I admit that I am not one of them)   sought out the 'reality' show segment themselves rather than replay what appeared to have been most if not all of the whole thing.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Uhhhhhh, wow, okay, I could happily listen to Keegan Michael-Key singing songs all night. I'm not picky, anything'll do.  Damn. That was...nice. Yes. 

That was amazing., he has a beautiful voice. Unfortunately I went and looked up the song and found it. Omg, I had never heard it before.  So after listening to Chris Stapleton sing "Tennessee Whiskey " I watched endless videos on YouTube of people reacting to the song lol.

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Cozytea said:

That was amazing., he has a beautiful voice. Unfortunately I went and looked up the song and found it. Omg, I had never heard it before.  So after listening to Chris Stapleton sing "Tennessee Whiskey " I watched endless videos on YouTube of people reacting to the song lol.

YouTube can be a real time suck if you aren't careful, yeah XD. 

I've not heard that song before, either-will also have to go check out the original at some point here. 

• LOL 1
4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

YouTube can be a real time suck if you aren't careful, yeah XD. 

I've not heard that song before, either-will also have to go check out the original at some point here. 

You should  look it up, it  is beautiful,  goosebumps beautiful.  

YouTube is definitely my enemy sometimes.  I have to be up at 7am and I just turned it off and here I sit wide awake.... sleep who needs sleep?😉

• LOL 2

Great show tonight. Monologue. Meanwhile. Richard Branson was much more sympathetic than I anticipated. 
But it was DC Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton who really stole the show, IMO. Who knew an 84-year-old politician could be so engaging?

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But it was DC Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton who really stole the show, IMO. Who knew an 84-year-old politician could be so engaging?

I loved when she unfurled the potential flag that would include D.C. as a state, to show what that would look like. :). And I liked her point that a new star means the most to the people whose state is being represented by it. Well put. 

I also got a good laugh out of the "woke coke" story in "Meanwhile" :D. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Great show tonight. Monologue. Meanwhile. Richard Branson was much more sympathetic than I anticipated. 

I love Eleanor!  I got to vote for her the first time she ran.  

And I agree with your assessment of the show.  I was surprised that Branson seemed to be so friendly with Stephen.  But I just can't get rid of the feeling that he's just not a great guy, although I can't prove it one way or another. 

• Love 6

Eleanor Holmes Norton is great. I hope DC has someone equally great to succeed her whenever she retires, because she will be a tough act to follow.

I honestly had not expected it to  be so easy to add a star to the flag. I somehow thought it would be harder to fit it in, but it's obvious that was just ridiculous of me to think. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Selfishly, I'm kinda sad seeing Stephen shake the hands of so many guests. Was hoping that might be a thing of the past.

Since Stephen is fully vaccinated - and I'm assuming KMK is as well - and that they all washed their hands in a bucket of Purell, I have no problem with Stephen and his guests doing the mutual hand clamps.

18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Doesn't surprise me. EHN has always been a feisty individual, as shown in her appearances on TCR, being engaging with "Stephen" and having fun doing so. 

I really don't share in Stephen's joy about billionaire assholes using their obscene amounts of wealth to fly off into space.

• Love 8