Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Six Episode Talk

• Start Topic

40 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

I really don't share in Stephen's joy about billionaire assholes using their obscene amounts of wealth to fly off into space.

Seth Meyers had the same take you did. 

I hated shaking hands before the pandemic, and am hoping it will become socially acceptable to decline. It's not even about worrying about contagion, I just don't like it. I will wave, bow, nod, smile, air-5. But I don't want to shake.

• Love 12
38 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

Since Stephen is fully vaccinated - and I'm assuming KMK is as well - and that they all washed their hands in a bucket of Purell, I have no problem with Stephen and his guests doing the mutual hand clamps.

Doesn't surprise me. EHN has always been a feisty individual, as shown in her appearances on TCR, being engaging with "Stephen" and having fun doing so. 

I really don't share in Stephen's joy about billionaire assholes using their obscene amounts of wealth to fly off into space.

Oh yeah - to clarify, I'm not worried about the health of Stephen or any of his guests. I'm sure vaccinations or whatnot have been worked out in advance. I was just really hoping/expecting that we'd get rid of the fucking handshake as a society. It's gross (there's still the common cold, poop molecules, and lots of other transmissible crap out there), outdated (how many of us are carrying weapons up our sleeves?), and seems sexist (unless you're Meagan Martin, most women will simply have les grip strength than men, and I've personally encountered enough men who seem compelled to prove that "fact" upon meeting someone for the first time). I guess it's a hard habit to break, but I personally will politely eschew shaking hands as things get back to normal.

Richard Branson was awfully mealy-mouthed for such a successful businessperson. How in dog's name do you not have excellent concrete examples of how space travel has benefitted the other 99.999% of society? All this rich guy rocket ship dick-measuring is (imo) really hard to sell in these times. And I do find space travel fascinating, but as commerce? Yeah, it feels a whole lot like Nero's fiddling.*

*Which I understand is somewhat apocryphal, but still such a great story...

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Oh yeah - to clarify, I'm not worried about the health of Stephen or any of his guests. I'm sure vaccinations or whatnot have been worked out in advance. I was just really hoping/expecting that we'd get rid of the fucking handshake as a society. It's gross (there's still the common cold, poop molecules, and lots of other transmissible crap out there), outdated (how many of us are carrying weapons up our sleeves?), and seems sexist (unless you're Meagan Martin, most women will simply have les grip strength than men, and I've personally encountered enough men who seem compelled to prove that "fact" upon meeting someone for the first time). I guess it's a hard habit to break, but I personally will politely eschew shaking hands as things get back to normal.

Won't doubt you there.

12 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Same here. I hope people would stop paying attention to them, because if there is anyone who lives off that attention, it is those people. But I don't hold my breath.

12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I hated shaking hands before the pandemic, and am hoping it will become socially acceptable to decline. It's not even about worrying about contagion, I just don't like it. I will wave, bow, nod, smile, air-5. But I don't want to shake.

I don't like it either, but I have sadly already experienced that people are eager to return to it. 

12 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Yes to all of this. When we had a class on etiquette in college, it was noted that since a woman is supposed to extend her hand first when she is meeting with a man, it is totally acceptable to decline a handshake when a man extends his hand first. I like it in theory, but I have to confess that I am always scared to do such a thing when I am meeting someone, because I am always more scared to be assertive during personal encounters, as opposed to online.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, possibilities said:

Wish I had a thousand likes to give.  I loathe physical contact with someone I didn't give birth to.

• Love 3

I wonder if anyone asked Mr. Colbert if he truly thought it was worth playing footsie with Mr. Branson (and was Mr. Branson trying to claim that now that he'd spent zillions to [barely] touch 'outer space' that he was above wearing shoes on Earth ?).

I mean, even flying in a commercial jet above the clouds, one can see virtually the same 'outer space' that they did with only the Earth's curvature being more pronounced from the higher altitude.  Virtually the only thing different was the weightlessness. 

Could this be shades of the Emperor's Clothes (or Shoes)?

I'm not debating about Mr. Branson's expenditure, but frankly, re the annals of space exploration  which has gotten 12 men walking on the Moon and the idea of one-way trips to Mars, I don't think this was worth more than a . .. .footnote. 

• Love 5

Didn't Richard Branson try flying around the world in a balloon years ago? I agree with all your assessments about him. Something about him rubs me the wrong way.

I loved Stephen's bit about the hot dogs and buns earlier this week, and how he tied it in with my favorite scene from Father of the Bride. (Kevin James in "Superfluous Buns" almost made me fall off my chair!! 🤣😂)

• Love 5

Stephen and Jon and Stay Human are kind of “on fire” or whatever it’s called when they’re all fired up, LOL.

Funnier and more melodious.

I assume it’s because they had 2 weeks off and because of the live audience, but shouldn’t (mostly rhetorical question) the vaccinated audience start wearing masks again? 

• Love 3

I noticed, at the end of Monday's show, the bass player had one of her strings broken off. That must have been quite embarrassing for her.

Guy Fieri must have watched TCR in the past. How else does one explain how Stephen got a hold of one of those.....things!😳😬

I agree with Stephen. Fuck you, Jennifer Aniston! (of course, I'd say that to anyone that was involved with Friends😈😁)

An interesting interview with Brian Stelter. Fox News has totally lost the plot in this new era.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

An interesting interview with Brian Stelter. Fox News has totally lost the plot in this new era.

My favorite part was when he admitted he fell asleep before the announcement came!! 😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I loved Stephen's take on the story about the resident who was so angry about Governor Cox's last name in "Meanwhile" XD. That was hilarious. What a bizarre complaint. I especially got a kick out of how that person acted like they were the first one ever to point out that, hey, "Cox" sounds like "cocks"! Thanks, Captain Obvious. 

So wild and neat to see how far Jennifer Hudson's come from her "American Idol" days :). I love her stories of hanging out with Aretha Franklin and getting to know her, and working with Carole King, too. And that photo of Aretha and Dr. King together is just plain cool.  That performance with Jennifer, Jon, and Stephen was fun, too :D. 

*Dances to "Respect"*

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I loved Stephen's take on the story about the resident who was so angry about Governor Cox's last name in "Meanwhile" XD. That was hilarious. What a bizarre complaint. I especially got a kick out of how that person acted like they were the first one ever to point out that, hey, "Cox" sounds like "cocks"! Thanks, Captain Obvious. 

Do you think they also write angry letters to poultry farmers?

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2021 at 12:31 AM, Annber03 said:

So wild and neat to see how far Jennifer Hudson's come from her "American Idol" days :). I love her stories of hanging out with Aretha Franklin and getting to know her, and working with Carole King, too. And that photo of Aretha and Dr. King together is just plain cool.  That performance with Jennifer, Jon, and Stephen was fun, too :D. 

*Dances to "Respect"*

OMG! I finally just saw this with Stephen's p-e-r-f-e-c-t falsetto!
And Jennifer Hudson can really play piano with those nails!!???!

(and everything's better with Jon Batiste too!)

• Love 5

Yeah, he seems to be one of those people that can look good in pretty much anything :D. I envy people like that, LOL. 

Good show tonight so far. Great monologue about Afghanistan, the stuff with the anti-vaxxers who believe they're protecting their sperm is just...wow, where to even begin, and a good interview with LaPook, too. I wish we could play his speeches on a loop for the public at large.

I liked the discussion about empathy, too. I'm normally pretty empathetic but that's definitely been very strained of late, almost to the breaking point - I'm with that group of Californians polled who put the blame on the unvaccinated and feel angry towards them. 

But LaPook's advice is good and worthwhile, and something to support and continue to try where possible. So thanks to him for talking about that. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 6

Jesus, that sperm thing! I don't want to get too off-topic, but I just don't get that obsession with sperm and fertility. The planet is overpopulated as it is. And most of those people who get so obsessed about it should not even be allowed to raise children IMO.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I liked the discussion about empathy, too. I'm normally pretty empathetic but that's definitely been very strained of late, almost to the breaking point - I'm with that group of Californians polled who put the blame on the unvaccinated and feel angry towards them. 

But LaPook's advice is good and worthwhile, and something to support and continue to try where possible. So thanks to him for talking about that. 

I liked the empathy discussion, too. I'm with you and the Californians polled about blaming a lot of the unvaccinated, but Stephen and Dr. LaPook made me think some more. 

Stephen's whole monologue last night was excellent - especially about the care we came to feel for these people. Great job all around. ❤

• Love 7
5 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

And most of those people who get so obsessed about it should not even be allowed to raise children IMO.

Heh, I thought the same thing. .The idea of people that foolish and susceptible raising kids is...wow. 

I also shook my head at the stories about the fake vaccination cards. So much pointless work for something that you can legally get quite easily if you just, y'know, go get vaccinated

(I also laughed at Stephen's explanation for how you can tell a vaccine card is real, both 'cause of the CDC label and the fact that it's all scrunched up and wrinkled because it was too big for your wallet XD.)

23 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Stephen's whole monologue last night was excellent - especially about the care we came to feel for these people. Great job all around. ❤

I also liked his point about how, after a time, Afghanistan fell off the front page for many, to where even many news outlets and late night shows never really talked about it. Both explained how hard it was to keep up interest in the war the longer it dragged on and also made the fact that it did drag on so long all the more striking. 

Also liked the comparison between how the Bush and Obama administrations viewed the war versus how the Trump and Biden ones did, and how both times most Americans seemed to support the stance they took either way. Really highlights both the changes in politics over that time and was an interesting reminder of the instances when Americans can be in majority agreement about something. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I never thought I'd find so much comfort from an 11:30pm late night talk-show host. Colbert got me through 2020 and he really helped me reconcile my feelings about things the things that happened yesterday.

Exactly. He's taken that comfort from the converted storage closet to the Ed Sullivan Theatre.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

Exactly. He's taken that comfort from the converted storage closet to the Ed Sullivan Theatre.

For me, it dates back to the show he did from his bathtub (season 5 and wrong thread?). Just watching his slow decent into pandemic madness like the rest of it was so beyond comforting. The news anchors and reporters were all holding it together (as they should be) so just seeing a public figure not holding it together quite as well was reassuring that *I* wasn't alone.

I ordered the "tour" shirt they created and it is high quality, just like a concert t-shirt and as a surprise, it ends with the "return to the Ed Sullivan theater".

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Heh, I thought the same thing. .The idea of people that foolish and susceptible raising kids is...wow. 

I also shook my head at the stories about the fake vaccination cards. So much pointless work for something that you can legally get quite easily if you just, y'know, go get vaccinated

(I also laughed at Stephen's explanation for how you can tell a vaccine card is real, both 'cause of the CDC label and the fact that it's all scrunched up and wrinkled because it was too big for your wallet XD.)

I also liked his point about how, after a time, Afghanistan fell off the front page for many, to where even many news outlets and late night shows never really talked about it. Both explained how hard it was to keep up interest in the war the longer it dragged on and also made the fact that it did drag on so long all the more striking. 

Also liked the comparison between how the Bush and Obama administrations viewed the war versus how the Trump and Biden ones did, and how both times most Americans seemed to support the stance they took either way. Really highlights both the changes in politics over that time and was an interesting reminder of the instances when Americans can be in majority agreement about something. 

All of this. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

For me, it dates back to the show he did from his bathtub (season 5 and wrong thread?). Just watching his slow decent into pandemic madness like the rest of it was so beyond comforting. The news anchors and reporters were all holding it together (as they should be) so just seeing a public figure not holding it together quite as well was reassuring that *I* wasn't alone.

I ordered the "tour" shirt they created and it is high quality, just like a concert t-shirt and as a surprise, it ends with the "return to the Ed Sullivan theater".

I was thinking about ordering the "tour" outfit and am glad it is high quality. Thanks for sharing.

Didn't Stephen go from the bubble bath to the fire pit to the living room before going back to the Ed Sullivan Building? I seem to recall he and Evie talk about having a satellite truck in their front yard at one point.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

I was thinking about ordering the "tour" outfit and am glad it is high quality. Thanks for sharing.

Didn't Stephen go from the bubble bath to the fire pit to the living room before going back to the Ed Sullivan Building? I seem to recall he and Evie talk about having a satellite truck in their front yard at one point.

The t-shirt is men's sizing. Thankfully oversized is trendy right now. I like it a lot better than the United We Stand Divided shirt I picked up during his first fundraiser.

They did some shows at their home in NJ then went to SC until they went back to the Ed Sullivan Office Building. Let's see if this image works

tee_900x.png?v=1623789291

• Useful 3
17 hours ago, Annber03 said:

4 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I liked the empathy discussion, too. I'm with you and the Californians polled about blaming a lot of the unvaccinated, but Stephen and Dr. LaPook made me think some more.

Fuck 'em!

Fuck those anti-vaxxers and their bullshit excuses for not doing the simple things. And fuck those like Dr. LaPook who say we should all have sympathy and empathy with those that won't even do something as simple as masking up. Yeah, BULL FUCKING SHIT to all that!

Those stupid ignoramuses are the reason why this pandemic isn't going to end soon. And why it could evolve into something far more dangerous that no vaccine can protect us from. "They uncomfortable!" "They fog my glasses up!" "My freedoms!" "My liberties!" "Waaah, waaah, waaah!" FUCK THAT FUCKING SHIT!

I have no more fucks to give with those ghouls. Any excuses they come up with are all stupid and exposes the immature childishness in all of them. I had my own run in with these fuckers back in May. I had to go pick something up at my local post office. But it was closed because a bunch of anti-vaxxers were picketing the place. Because one of them was refused service for not following the PO's orders and masking up. I told them they were all bratty children for behaving this way and they needed to grow the fuck up. Their leader told me to enjoy life in communist Russia, and I fired back "Well dasvidaniya, Comrade Batshit!"

Mandates from the government and by private companies to their employees to get vaccinated need to happen, so that we can all get on with our lives. And if those crybabies - who never would have survived WWII rationing and other sacrifices for the war effort - don't like it, they can stay home and die.

And not a single fuck will be given for their demise!

• Love 17

I can, perhaps, have a little sympathy for people who have concerns about the effect of a vaccine on their health or something...though in those cases, if they're looking to some Facebook video or hearing some scary story from their friend's brother's ex-wife's hairdresser's cousin about the vaccine, it's harder to have a lot of patience, 'cause, really? Just go to an official medical site to get your questions answered, it's not that hard (I would suggest talking to a doctor or nurse, too, and still think that's also a generally valid route, but unfortunately there are stories of doctors and nurses spreading misinformation, too, so that's another thing to try and keep an eye out for).

And then there's people like the guys who think they're "saving their sperm" by not getting the vaccine, and those people don't make me angry so much as they just make me laugh, because seriously, people...? 

It's a hell of a lot harder, if not outright impossible, to have sympathy or empathy for anyone who's actively putting people's lives at risk and not caring about doing so, and going so far as to ban or support bans on any efforts to try and mitigate the virus. Or who'll do things like make fake vaccine cards instead of just legally getting the real thing. At that point, I think we're in criminal negligence territory at the very least.

Course, those sorts of people would also be the same ones that LaPook says aren't worth trying to argue with, since they're the ones who are most unlikely to change their minds. In that case, I do think we need to actively do what we can to fight back against their dangerous rhetoric and actions. 

• Love 6

"I'm so worried for our country..."

You and me both, Stephen. What the actual fuck was with those clips from that council meeting? I think my brain actually broke watching that. 

On a (somewhat) lighter note, I'm so glad that these Capitol rioters have been stupid enough to show their faces and brag about their actions. 

• Love 7

I've been thrilled at how many of the Capitol rioters were identified to the authorities by former friends, family, and acquaintances.     

I like that Colbert shows how ridiculous people can behave.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 13

Stephen has never taken this much time off during the summer in all the years he's been on.  I have to think it's probably due to Covid and the fact that it's summer.  Look at the other talk show hosts - Jimmy Kimmel takes the whole summer off and uses replacement guest hosts and Trevor Noah also took the whole summer off.  I hope this doesn't become a trend and Colbert does it next year.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, Linda956 said:

Stephen has never taken this much time off during the summer in all the years he's been on.  I have to think it's probably due to Covid and the fact that it's summer.  Look at the other talk show hosts - Jimmy Kimmel takes the whole summer off and uses replacement guest hosts and Trevor Noah also took the whole summer off.  I hope this doesn't become a trend and Colbert does it next year.

James Corden also had about 6 weeks in a row off.

The NBC late night people had some time off, but they got to use the Olympics as an excuse.

• Useful 1