Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Six Episode Talk

• Start Topic

Watched a monologue on YouTube the other day. Don't know what the date of the upload was but it seemed recent. Here's the thought that went through my mind:

People say all the time, concerning whatever public profession, "We'll never see her like again." "Compared to him, all present-day violinists are midgets." "We have humorists, but nobody who will ever compare to Will Rogers/Robert Benchley/James Thurber et. al." But that last statement isn't true. Colbert is as good a humorist as anyone who ever lived. May he be with us a long time.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 14

I hope he got some well-deserved rest during the break. Maybe it’s just me, but I could really tell towards the end of the last season that covering this administration for 3-plus years is wearing down on him... 

Anyway I’m happy he’s back! 

• Love 8

"Now the prudes over at corporate tell me I can't show you an erect penis, even though half of the commercials for this show are about trying to maintain one."

LMAO XD! Valid argument (I was going to say "point", but...well, yeah ;p).

Nice to have Stephen back. He seems very refreshed and ready to go. Good interview with Woodward. Infuriating in terms of what's being discussed, but good-I would've been interested to hear a few more clips from those tapes of his. I'll have to put that book on my "to read" list. He's certainly right about how historians will view this time. 

Loved Jon's little voting song, too :). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I was a disappointed with the confusion during the Woodward interview when Woodward said he thought that the “deadly” virus was something in China only. But then interviewing has never been Stephens’s strength. 

I cried during the song “I miss my mom; I miss my dad.” (Mom died in August.)**

4 hours ago, Zahdii said:

Mon  9/14  ...musical guest Luke Combs

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Welcome back after a two week break!  Guests for the upcoming week:  
Mon  9/14  Bob Woodward, musical guest Luke Combs
Tues  9/15  Guests:  journalist Jacob Soboroff, musician Janelle Monáe
Wed  9/16  Guests: Drew Barrymore
Thur  9/17  Guests: Sarah Paulson
Fri  9/18  ?

Regarding the 9/14 episode:  Stephen looks relaxed and happy, I think he enjoyed his time off.  However, imo, a bit too much attention being paid to someone accidentally loading a dick pic.  I guess when everything's Trump and Covid, etc. all the time, it's nice when something different shows up for a bit of a distraction.

I was disappointed in the Bob Woodward interview.  Nothing really new, and Woodward seemed tired and disengaged.  Probably worn out from giving all those back to back interviews.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

I guess when everything's Trump and Covid, etc. all the time, it's nice when something different shows up for a bit of a distraction.

This. Anything silly to try and balance out the doom and gloom. 

• Love 2

Well, the interview with Soboroff was depressing and horrifying as hell. The BetterKnowABallot site is a great idea-let's hope it gets a lot of traffic.

On a lighter note, LMAO at the "Fox and Friends" clip in the monologue 😄. "Steve Doocy's just not that into you." Always good to see Janelle Monáe, too.

Also, I would go to a Jurassic Presidents park. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Always good to see Janelle Monáe

Yes, but Stephen's poor interview skills were showing, and then, right after, I caught Seth Meyers interviewing Wendy Williams which managed to be infinitely better even though I would never have guessed that was possible.

Edited by shapeshifter

In CT, COVID is a valid reason for requesting an absentee ballot and everyone in the state got the application. I mailed mine yesterday. I would love it if mail-in became the norm after COVID because it so much more convenient than getting to the polling place. I would miss some of the feeling of being part of a big event and getting an "I voted today" sticker, though.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, ABay said:

In CT, COVID is a valid reason for requesting an absentee ballot and everyone in the state got the application. I mailed mine yesterday. I would love it if mail-in became the norm after COVID because it so much more convenient than getting to the polling place. I would miss some of the feeling of being part of a big event and getting an "I voted today" sticker, though.

Not to get too off-topic, but I’ve been voting via absentee ballot for awhile now, but I’m taking all necessary precautions and voting early in-person this year because GA is full of fuckery... 

Anyway I like Colbert’s “Better Know Ballot” initiative and that he’s posting a short video clip containing info for every state. Good job Stephen! 

Edited by GoldenGirl90
  • Love 8
42 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I LOVE his better know a ballot for every state! That could really help people out! (Assuming his viewers aren't all already primed and ready to vote, which they probably are, but just in case)

Share it on Facebook like I did!

• Love 3

All right, well, that Triumph bit was...frighteningly illuminating. Wow. 

Glad they were able to work out the issues with the ballot site yesterday, and VERY happy to hear that there were so many people rushing to check it out. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

All right, well, that Triumph bit was...frighteningly illuminating. Wow. 

I just wonder what the reactions were when they told these people it was all a joke. I would imagine the  forever-Trump guy went ballistic.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I just wonder what the reactions were when they told these people it was all a joke. I would imagine the  forever-Trump guy went ballistic.

I kept vacillating between wondering if they were really actors or if they were just what we were told they were.
Disturbing on many levels.

• Love 3
On 9/17/2020 at 1:48 AM, Ms Lark said:

I kept thinking that, then remembering that everyone would have had to sign a release form for it to air. They are all Trump supporters and proud of it. To me, the worst was the red-haired lady who found a way to support every heinous act. Just excuse, excuse, excuse.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ahisma said:

I kept thinking that, then remembering that everyone would have had to sign a release form for it to air.

I used to do focus groups back before the world went to hell. You could pick up anywhere from $50 to $200 bucks for a few hours fun, plus nice sandwiches. So, they're getting paid to listen to and opine on this stuff, too.

• Love 3

Maybe because the Ed Sullivan Theatre is huge compared to the small studios that Jimmy and Seth use.  And since it's only Stephen - no band and guests still remote - it wasn't going to work in the actual theatre.  At least he's not in the tiny room at home anymore. 

I know Conan is filming at a small theatre in LA.  I don't know what Kimmel is doing since his return. 

ETA:  I don't know this for sure.  I'm just wildly speculating.  Because...why not. 

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 10

The story about the new clarifications regarding subways and buses. Mmkay, then. 

We clearly needed that, though, 'cause everything else is just...*Rubs temples*. Regarding the whole concept of doomscrolling in general, that's just one reason of many why I shut down sites and such that can contribute to that early in the evening and stay away from them the rest of the night. At least with people like Stephen (or John Oliver, or Seth Meyers), I can laugh at some of the craziness along the way and get a few lighter moments/intereviews/etc. mixed in as well. 

ETA: Jon's sigh and quiet despair. I hear ya, buddy. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 6

Ah, remember when he took Stephen's audience to a Broadway performance of To Kill A Mockingbird? Remember when people could be in person?

Okay, back to topic, good interview - these guys clearly like talking to each other!

And Yusef Islam / Cat Stevens was good - I enjoyed that performance!

• Love 3

Stephen, don't worry about all those good doggies being disappointed by the lack of chicken in the cups they are sniffing.  I can pretty much guarantee that chicken, or something comparably delicious, is exactly what they get every time they indicate a positive sample.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, saoirse said:

And Yusef Islam / Cat Stevens was good - I enjoyed that performance!

Hmm. It was better than I heard on the new record. The original was far superior! I wore out my "Tea for the Tillerman" album 50 years ago! I'm glad he's come back to Yusef "Cat Stevens" again, though.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the Jeff Daniels interview. Even for how serious the tone of the conversation was, the interview just seemed like a conversation between two friends. I also really enjoyed hearing and seeing how much Jeff enjoys Jim Carrey. I love that they're actually friends. My family was OBSESSED with Dumb and Dumber when I was a kid, so that's where I first learned to appreciate Jeff, but he is such a versatile actor, and it always surprises me when I see him in something serious and he's SO GOOD. I don't have Showtime but I'm going to figure out a way to see this new series he's done. It seems really important.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

I really enjoyed the Jeff Daniels interview. Even for how serious the tone of the conversation was, the interview just seemed like a conversation between two friends. I also really enjoyed hearing and seeing how much Jeff enjoys Jim Carrey. I love that they're actually friends. My family was OBSESSED with Dumb and Dumber when I was a kid, so that's where I first learned to appreciate Jeff, but he is such a versatile actor, and it always surprises me when I see him in something serious and he's SO GOOD. I don't have Showtime but I'm going to figure out a way to see this new series he's done. It seems really important.

Depending on the streaming service(s) you have, you can probably get a free 7-day Showtime trial, watch the show, and then cancel. You can probably do it through the Showtime app itself as well. That's what I"m planning to do.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Wow. I don't think I've ever heard Stevie Wonder swear before. Short and sweet and to the point-well said, Stevie. And I would totally listen to that version of "I Just Called to Say I Love You" :p.

Soooooo much I could say about all this election craziness, but politics, so... On a lighter note, yay for Jon being involved in Farm Aid, that's cool :). 

"Truly, these are the moments in history where we pause and say, '...all right...?'." LMFAO. What a weird story. 

• Love 2
On 9/23/2020 at 10:38 PM, opus said:

How come every other talk show (of the one’s I’ve seen) is back in their studio except this one?

Trevor Noah isn't back in the studio yet, either.

Stephen seems much less burned out since he came back from the break. I don't know if it's the new location or what, but it's a relief. I was getting drained just watching him and had started to think maybe I need to just stop watching.

• Love 2

Loved John Lithgow's speed drawing of Stephen, too. He's just so freaking cool. 

(I also smiled when he mentioned that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was among the celebrities involved in reading bits from his book. Aw, mini-"3rd Rock" reunion!)

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Loved John Lithgow's speed drawing of Stephen, too. He's just so freaking cool. 

(I also smiled when he mentioned that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was among the celebrities involved in reading bits from his book. Aw, mini-"3rd Rock" reunion!)

Yes and yes, but I was a tiny bit disappointed by no mention of Lithgow’s recent and brilliant-as-usual work in the Perry Mason reboot miniseries. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, lambertman said:

Heads up: tonight (Friday October 2) is no longer a rerun. Your DVR may not know this.

Shout out and BIG THANKS to Lambertman for letting us all know.  I don’t have my VCR recording reruns so I would never have normally recorded tonight’s show!!

• Love 4