Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Six Episode Talk

• Start Topic

I thought it was a fun show.  What surprised me was that I was sorta bothered by the crowd noise.  It was so... loud.  Everything now is so quiet.  I know having an audience is better (for them, and it means things are "normal" again), but I guess I don't miss the audience like I thought I did.  This is so weird - I don't want to get used to this reality because it sucks. 

• Love 10

For someone who did not know what this show was, it was confusing to arrive one minute into the monologue time and see Stephen in front of a laughing audience -- and I think he was talking about a debate, so I assumed it was a show from this week (I missed them all).  My cable guide said "NEW.  Sam Waterston", so it really took me a while to learn that he was the host rather than a guest.  Then it was fun.   

• Love 3
On 10/23/2020 at 4:54 PM, Brandi Maxxxx said:

"It's digit-snogging satisfactory."

Trump is basically Vincent Adultman from BoJack Horseman. ("I went to stock market today. I did a business.")

That’s exactly who I thought of during that. 

Edited by DanaMB

The news, the weather, the short daylight hours, the Covid isolation, etc. all had me feeling downhearted
--until Stephen's monologue. 

ETA: But now I *really* want to jump through the screen and trim Sanjay's hair for him. 🙂
(I promise I would wear a mask and jump right back out again.)

Also: I was a little disappointed with Sarah Cooper's Netflix show, but I loved her all over again during this interview. 
I and others have noted before that interviewing is not Stephen's strong suit, but maybe he does pretty well when the subject's specialty is close to his own? 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

All though the Pandemic, I've loved the cheesy bit where Stephen does the freeze framed  Dad dance to the most Dad-ish of the Dad jokes he tells about Trump.  Last night's show had a heavy selection of those.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Kromm said:

All though the Pandemic, I've loved the cheesy bit where Stephen does the freeze framed  Dad dance to the most Dad-ish of the Dad jokes he tells about Trump.  Last night's show had a heavy selection of those.

I liked the one he did on another recent show where he said something about Trump never letting the woman finish first (even if it did leave me with some....disturbing images :p). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

That interview with Amy Walter was quite helpful and calming. Particularly in regards to her point about comparing a candidate's poll numbers to their approval rating as president. Seems so obvious a way to look at that now she says it, but yeah, I don't know if people really think to put that connection together much of the time when looking at polls. 

I also liked her point about the actual reasons behind why some pollsters don't always include certain groups/demographics in their polling. 

ETA: Ahahaha, Julie Andrews' limerick XD! That was fun. 

Edited by Annber03

I was also coming to post about the Walter interview. It does make a lot of sense in terms of job approval numbers. But I also think if it wasn't for the damn electoral college no one would even be nervous right now! Say he does get exactly his job approval percentage- can the other candidate get the majority of the vote and still lose the EC? I wish Stephen had asked her about that, because that's what's really causing all this anxiety. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Man, Jon's entire rant is a freaking MOOD. I hear ya, buddy. 

I can't believe it's been ten years since the Rally to Restore Sanity. Wow. I want to go back to 2010, too, which is saying something, considering that's the year my dad died (though he died in April, and by October of that year my family was slowly starting to turn a corner for the better in some ways, so....). I remember watching that rally, it was fun. 

Everything I know about LOTR I know thanks to Stephen :p. Amazing how he can just pull a passage from his head like that, but it was a beautiful and welcome sentiment. And the surprise guest at the end of that segment was nice, too :). 

LOL at Jon talking about how he gets an alert every time Stephen's unbuttoning his shirt XD. These two...

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 10

Tony Bennett was a nice surprise and kid you not, he said exactly what I was thinking about Jon: “When did you get so old?”

Seriously , Jon seems to have aged so much since leaving his show. Like super fast! Maybe he shouldn’t have retired?😳

But I just wanted to hear and see Stephen and Jon play off each other. I ❤️ those two and their friendship so much!

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But I just wanted to hear and see Stephen and Jon play off each other. I ❤️ those two and their friendship so much!

I loved Jon being all, "I KNOW about this!" when Stephen started setting the scene for the LOTR snippet he was going to quote :D. It's a sign of just how well they know each other, and you can tell they've had these kinds of conversations many, many times before. I love that. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

[Tony Bennett] said exactly what I was thinking about Jon: “When did you get so old?”

Well, talking purely cosmetically, that gray beard isn’t helping matters.  Sigh.

• Love 1

That interview with John Oliver was such a delight. Given all the stressful stuff John's been covering on his show throughout the year, it was great to see him getting to just have a good, genuine laugh tonight. He's got a really adorable laugh :). 

I love that the town of Danbury actually sent him that toilet, too. I can't even XD. And I also loved the whole joke about people in the UK voting at the pub :p. It was sweet to hear John talk about getting emotional when he went to vote. Aw. 

Stephen geeking out over getting to interview Cher is cute, too :D. 

• Love 8

I was struck by Cher's correcting Stephen that Joe did Not "inspire" the song, even though, as Variety (https://variety.com/2020/music/news/cher-biden-happiness-is-a-thing-called-joe-campaign-song-1234815609/) details: 

Spoiler

The first three lines are the same as what Waters sings to the Joe character in the ’43 film . . . but diverge into more national interests from there.

“Sometimes the cabin’s gloomy and the table’s bare” becomes “Right now our country’s gloomy, fear is in the air.” “Does he love me good? That’s all I need to know” is turned into “Joe will keep us safe, that’s all we need to know.”

. . . As a coda, she repeats the phrase “President Joe” three times,

• Love 1

The John Oliver interview was wonderful. I'm a fan of LWT, but seeing John with Stephen was so much more relaxed and personal. Bonus: Danbury, CT is my hometown and I am beyond tickled every time I see clips from that ep and mentions on so many of my favorite shows. [I currently live in the adjacent town of Bethel and still drive by the sewage treatment plant, which I've always fondly referred to as "Stinktown". As in I'd literally test my breath-holding skills while passing. I must admit, though, since the massive improvements, it's more of a faintly odiferous hint than the dead-fish-dipped-in-ammonia-and-rotting-on-a-sun-baked-seashore nasal assault it used to be. Jolly good show, Mr. Oliver!]

I'm so looking forward to Stephen's Showtime ep tonight. I think I was too traumatized four years ago to even realize he was on, but this year I'm to the point of "just gonna ride the wave" and hope for the best, expect the worst. I've got a pitcher of cheap Moscato spiked with grapefruit Smirnoff and am ready to roll!!

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I'm so looking forward to Stephen's Showtime ep tonight. I think I was too traumatized four years ago to even realize he was on, but this year I'm to the point of "just gonna ride the wave" and hope for the best, expect the worst. I've got a pitcher of cheap Moscato spiked with grapefruit Smirnoff and am ready to roll!!

I didn't see the Showtime special in 2016, either, but in my case, I don't think we had Showtime at that time, so... I'm hoping tonight's show will be a good one. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I loved the closing music with Jon and the band.

I loved the outro music, too. 

15 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Some good bits but boring overall.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. It was nice hearing his wife giggle in the background, though. 

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I loved hearing Jon Batiste declaring that he too feels like he's "walking on a tight rope," and, of course, his lovely piano riff. 

Same. Pretty much sums it up. 

I also loved Stephen calling Florida "America's cheating boyfriend" :p. 

ETA: LOL at that clip explaining the electoral college. "Because if there's one thing college is known for, it's good decisions!" That should be shown in schools :D. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. But now I know that when he cries, I cry. 😢

Oh, god, same :(. It's unsettling to see someone normally so cheerful and optimistic so visibly upset like that. 

On a much lighter note, holy shit, the whole bit about Paula White had me in tears in a good way, I was laughing so damn hard. I'm so glad he commented on the guy randomly wandering by in the background, 'cause I was wondering about him, too XD. 

• Love 11

The interview with Larry is fun :). And I share his hope regarding the American people in general. He's absolutely right about our resilience. 

I still need to catch up and check out his show. I liked the one he had on Comedy Central. 

ETA: Holy crap, that magic trick O__o! That was cool. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2

Stephen's tears got me right in the heart. He is absolutely right that those in the GOP that you-know-who (to borrow a term from Whoopi) has cowed need to break ranks and SPEAK UP!!

The Paula White thing had me rolling. Here's something a few of you may not know - her husband is Jonathan Cain (yes, he of The Babys, Journey and Bad English fame). 😳

• Love 3
1 minute ago, catlover79 said:

The Paula White thing had me rolling. Here's something a few of you may not know - her husband is Jonathan Cain (yes, he of The Babys, Journey and Bad English fame). 😳

...wow. 

That must be an interesting household. 

• Love 2

I don't suppose anyone has a screenshot of Charlemagne Tha God's list from the ShowTime special? I watched the version CBS aired Friday night and every time I paused the recording it would go to another screen after a few seconds (Directv does this annoying thing). The list is in Greek, or at least Cyrillic, and I was trying to figure out if was actually Greek words or English words spelled with Cyrillic letters.

• Love 1