Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Six Episode Talk

• Start Topic

I thought the interviews had a great spontaneity tonight, likely because of the short lead time, which I especially appreciated because I could relate to the process, having regularly taught one-off research methods sessions to college students over 2 decades, with many of my most successful presentations being those I had spent the least time preparing for.  

Stephen also did a great job (better than others I've read on FB and Twitter) of expressing compassion without compromising his stand. Bravo!

• Love 7
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Stephen also did a great job (better than others I've read on FB and Twitter) of expressing compassion without compromising his stand. Bravo!

Yes! He walked that line very well. I especially liked him highlighting the national security risk this situation poses for our country.

And yeah, the interviews were good and informative. It was really nice to hear from a medical expert about all of this, that's something I haven't encountered elsewhere on TV or online throughout the day (course, maybe there was discussion of that sort somewhere that I missed). And I like getting a historical context to frame this as well. It's amazing how many presidents have hidden serious ailments from the public in the past. Using a moustache to hide the fact you had jaw surgery is...an interesting method :p. 

I appreciate Stephen coming back to do this show and managing to get it together as quickly as he did. And thanks to LaPook and Dickerson for taking time to stop by, too-as Stephen noted, no doubt they've been fielding calls and appearances for other shows, either today or for the coming days, so it's even more impressive he was able to get a bit of time with them. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I appreciate Stephen coming back to do this show and managing to get it together as quickly as he did. And thanks to LaPook and Dickerson for taking time to stop by, too-as Stephen noted, no doubt they've been fielding calls and appearances for other shows, either today or for the coming days, so it's even more impressive he was able to get a bit of time with them. 

Yes, it seemed obvious that all three (Stephen, LaPook, and Dickerson) were not doing it as a ratings grab or even to sell a book, but rather as a service to the country to both give good information and to even soothe our anxiety. 
At least that's my take on it.

• Love 4
Just now, shapeshifter said:

Yes, it seemed obvious that all three (Stephen, LaPook, and Dickerson) were not doing it as a ratings grab or even to sell a book, but rather as a service to the country to both give good information and to even soothe our anxiety. 

Yep. Friday night? There's no money made here. I salute these folks.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, it seemed obvious that all three (Stephen, LaPook, and Dickerson) were not doing it as a ratings grab or even to sell a book, but rather as a service to the country to both give good information and to even soothe our anxiety

And they succeeded in that! It is a crazy situation all around, so anyone and anything that can help clarify things a little more and give me a better idea of what's going on and what this means is sorely welcome. 

I also liked the incredulous, almost exhausted tone they had when talking about the constant "October surprises". Seriously, this year, I tell ya. I just keep trying to imagine how the hell we'll describe this year to future generations. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't know that my anxiety was soothed but it was a good show.  It's hard to feel soothed when there have been so many positive tests. I believe they mentioned there were 11 at the time of taping.  But since it sounds like an outbreak, I fear it won't end there. 

• Love 1

Big props to Stephen and crew for putting a new show together last night, considering the big news from yesterday. They didn't have to do that. They could have waited till Monday to do so. But they felt it important - and rightfully so - to inform the audience of what was going on. And to give us all much needed humor. Total pros all around!

• Love 8

I was really surprised to see on-set SNL, complete with studio audience.  Still seems too soon to me.  But I wonder if that will push Stephen and the other late night shows toward re-opening their shows. 

• Love 1

"This isn't 'read the books' school." 

...what...? And those clips of the doctor. I hadn't seen any of that press conference, so this is my first glimpse of it. Wow. Just....wow. 

Yeah, "Patience Zero" pretty aptly describes this entire mess. Just like with the debate, my head hurts. 

ETA: LOL at that version of "Shout" :D. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

ETA: LOL at that version of "Shout" :D. 

Hanoi vey! I was as outraged as Stephen when the crew didn't respond with the chorus.

• LOL 4
On 10/4/2020 at 1:19 PM, meowmommy said:

I was really surprised to see on-set SNL, complete with studio audience.  Still seems too soon to me.  But I wonder if that will push Stephen and the other late night shows toward re-opening their shows. 

I just read this article explaining SNL's audience:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/snl-audience-members-paid-covid.html?utm_medium=s1&utm_campaign=vulture&utm_source=fb&fbclid=IwAR3oSpk5cuy9hOexRtxVxxGjWXlFi5qgIzDQQL61SeBX2Fg-iCeR5PvGFk8

• Useful 1

Throughout tonight's (Oct 8, Thurs) monologue I noticed how lively Stephen was. Has he been this way lately and I'm just noticing it now? Or, perhaps, like me, did the VP debate last night serve to lift a bit of his  gloom? Regardless, he wasn't just reading the lines; there was some genuinely amusing physical comedy in his delivery.

• Love 3

I think he's seemed that way for some time now-I know back when the new season started he seemed a lot more refreshed after having had a bit of time off-that seems to have continued overall since then. And he's had some good guests lately that have struck a very optimistic, thoughtful tone as well, to try and balance out some of the craziness in the news, which I think also helps. His conversation with Mindy Kaling tonight about their respective faiths and family and children was lovely. 

I was cracking up at his commentary on the male chastity device in "Meanwhile". "Alexa, please turn off my husband." :p.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Aaron Sorkin replies to Stephen: 
“2020 jumped the shark a long while ago.”

He's not wrong.

I feel like I'm probably one of very few people left on this planet who hasn't seen "The West Wing". How I've gone this long without seeing this show, I honestly don't know. But I clearly need to remedy that. This interview with the cast and Sorkin is fun (and it's nice to see Schiff here-Dr. Glassman from "The Good Doctor" :D!). 

• Love 3

Oh that was soooooo cathartic yet depressing if that makes sense!

I did watch The West Wing, but not all of it during its initial run; got the dvds a couple years ago, I think it was, and watched it all. The first five seasons are the best. Basically, the Aaron Sorkin years.

And damn you, Sorkin! Now I have to restart my HBOMax subscription so I can watch this West Wing play episode. Still don't know why they couldn't have put it on network or free cable, though. 

Bradley Whitford had me crying when he talked about how Sterling K. Brown's performance as Leo, had him in tears, while he was crying in the telling. Sorry for the run on sentence. But it was Bradley talking about how he could feel John with them. Can't believe it's been over 15 years we lost John Spencer.

I was really hoping Dulé would have been on the episode. I just adored him as Charlie and LOOOOOVED him as Burton Guster on Psych. The closest we got to a Martin Sheen cameo on that show was a picture of Bartlett as Gus's father in a dream Gus had!

😂😂 when Schiff related his story of receiving fan mail on how Toby got how Social Security worked "WRONG" by then "Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton."

I can't remember, and already deleted it, but did Sorkin confirm if Stockard Channing would be in this? Oh, heck, I'll just imdb the original episode that they're redoing next week for this.

I do wish Stephen had aired the clip of when Bartett first showed up on screen, quoting the first Commandment , instead of Stephen mentioning it and also showing Bartlett telling that woman off and handing her her ASS.

What?

Okay, now I feel a need for West Wing marathon watch. Up to Season Five.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Okay- I can't handle it when Stephen's entire monologue is clips of Trump talking every three seconds.

I instituted the use of the mute button waaaay before the debate committee .

• LOL 7

Last week, when LSSC was in reruns, I looked at another late show.  The host was standing on a stage and looked so, well, distant.  When LSSC goes back to the stage I think I'll miss seeing SC from just across his desk.

While I'm here -- when SC says he is drinking bourbon, is it really?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Wow. Just saw tonight's monologue. A++

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Yes. Absolutely spot on and powerful. 

Does anyone know if Stephen selects a segment or episode for Emmy and other award submissions?

• Useful 1
On 10/9/2020 at 11:00 PM, Annber03 said:

He's not wrong.

I feel like I'm probably one of very few people left on this planet who hasn't seen "The West Wing". How I've gone this long without seeing this show, I honestly don't know. But I clearly need to remedy that. This interview with the cast and Sorkin is fun (and it's nice to see Schiff here-Dr. Glassman from "The Good Doctor" :D!). 

You are not the only one. 'cept I have no interest in watching it.

Jon Batiste is my television boyfriend. Those hands! and he is writing a song for Kamala Harris. < that makes my cold little heart go pitty pat!

Tonight I believe Stephen is going to be live during the debate? or right after?

Yes! he is really drinking bourbon! that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, taanja said:

Jon Batiste is my television boyfriend. Those hands! and he is writing a song for Kamala Harris. < that makes my cold little heart go pitty pat!

Jon Batiste makes my heart go pitty pat too, heh, but being much older, Jon is my TV guru/pastor.

2 minutes ago, taanja said:

Tonight I believe Stephen is going to be live during the debate? or right after?

After.
Debate, then news, then Stephen, which gives them a half an hour to edit their notes.
"Live" means there will be no editing of the show. 
Gov. Andrew Cuomo is listed as a guest.

• Love 4

I'm from the city that was mentioned in last night's monologue where Trump had a "shout and spray" and told folks that he wouldn't have come here except COVID made him need to. And they cheered. As Stephen said, this state has been busy, especially my corner of it.

It will be really interesting to see what Stephen's show will be like if the election goes against Trump. He has been the show's focus since Stephen started in 2015. While I doubt it will vanish all at once, Trump has become like a second character on his show (you know he's going to be discussed nightly) and what do you need when it's not there anymore? Whether people think that's for better or for worse, I think it will be a bit of a different show.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, taanja said:

I love him, too :). He just seems so sweet and I always appreciate his optimistic attitude about everything. I also love anytime he gets talks about music-he's got such a passionate love for it, and that's always attractive to me.

1 hour ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Why do you think Stephen sort of lost it when Dolly Parton was singing? 

I think it was the lyrics of the song she was singing that got to him, as the song was rather sad. 

I liked the interview with Springsteen last night, too. When he was talking about standing in front of the mirror with a tennis racket, my mom was like, "I'd pay to watch that." :D. 

2 hours ago, BookThief said:

It will be really interesting to see what Stephen's show will be like if the election goes against Trump. He has been the show's focus since Stephen started in 2015. While I doubt it will vanish all at once, Trump has become like a second character on his show (you know he's going to be discussed nightly) and what do you need when it's not there anymore? Whether people think that's for better or for worse, I think it will be a bit of a different show.

I wonder about that, too. I think he'd welcome it in many ways, though-I know he's talked before about how he'd gladly trade the good ratings he's had these last few years if it meant not having to talk about so much of the awful stuff that's occupied the news. I feel like the late night comedians in general would love the break. 

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I wonder about that, too. I think he'd welcome it in many ways, though-I know he's talked before about how he'd gladly trade the good ratings he's had these last few years if it meant not having to talk about so much of the awful stuff that's occupied the news. I feel like the late night comedians in general would love the break. 

As a human being, of course he wants things to change.  But the accepted wisdom is that LSSC was floundering and didn't take off until Stephen switched from the usual mix of topical humor and celebrities to all 45, all the time.  Stephen is still not a good interviewer and often doesn't seem engaged unless the guest has a political connection.  He's still going to have to work on that to remain successful.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Why do you think Stephen sort of lost it when Dolly Parton was singing? 

Short answer: Some songs just make some people cry. 

4 hours ago, BookThief said:

It will be really interesting to see what Stephen's show will be like if the election goes against Trump. He has been the show's focus since Stephen started in 2015.

1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

As a human being, of course he wants things to change.  But the accepted wisdom is that LSSC was floundering and didn't take off until Stephen switched from the usual mix of topical humor and celebrities to all 45, all the time.  Stephen is still not a good interviewer and often doesn't seem engaged unless the guest has a political connection.  He's still going to have to work on that to remain successful.

For one thing, he's said his Trump impression hurts his throat, so he'll be glad to get over that.
He could certainly afford to retire, but last night's monologue seemed to indicate he can do well when he's passionate about something. 

• Love 2

Jon Batiste is very crushable, but I'd like to give a shout-out to the beautiful lady who plays the bass (I think both stand-up and electric). I'm a straight female, but have such a girl-crush on her cute facial expressions, her shoulder shimmies, and her magnificent boobs. (I hope that's not offensive - the girls deserve some adoration!)

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Jon Batiste is very crushable, but I'd like to give a shout-out to the beautiful lady who plays the bass (I think both stand-up and electric). I'm a straight female, but have such a girl-crush on her cute facial expressions, her shoulder shimmies, and her magnificent boobs. (I hope that's not offensive - the girls deserve some adoration!)

I totally agree.

And I have to agree with Stephen: Jill Biden's matching floral mask and dress won the debate
--although I am now a fan of Kristen Welker
--sorry, Stephen, she did more than a good job; Kristen Welker earned a song in her honor by Jon Batiste.
I'm waitin', Jon!

ETA: Oh. Never mind. He's "alchemizin'" it! Woo Hoo!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And I have to agree with Stephen: Jill Biden's matching floral mask and dress won the debate

Yes! Her dress was pretty. And I too was impressed with Walker. 

Jon's idea to go out and play music to entertain voters on Election Day is awesome. What a great way to pass the time and make the day a little less stressful for voters. 

• Love 4

Thank you, Happenstance Of Live TV, for giving us a moment of levity and LOL at the end of Stephen's otherwise serious interview with NY Gov. Cuomo.
See Cuomo blush and both Stephen and Andrew Cuomo erupt in joyful/embarrassed laughter here:

--which also includes another shot of 

11 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

the beautiful lady who plays the bass (I think both stand-up and electric). I'm a straight female, but have such a girl-crush on her cute facial expressions, her shoulder shimmies, and her magnificent boobs. (I hope that's not offensive - the girls deserve some adoration!)

in what I think was her fourth or fifth outfit of the evening! I guess I wasn't the only one who was wondering if they were just running the same clip?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Yes! I love her too!

But my focus is always on Jon's beautiful hands.. I would like to draw/paint them...over and over again...

I always record Stephen Colbert so have not yet watched the "live" ep from last night. I did however watch the debate so I am prepared. LOL

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I have a bit of a crush on the young lady playing the bongos. She's very, very pretty with the most gorgeous smile.

Loved Stephen's opening monologue. "I'm like a businessman doing business. I love office, and eat taxes with my coffee. Three tickets for the booby movie, please!" That line just cracked me up!

• Love 5

"It's digit-snogging satisfactory."

5 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Loved Stephen's opening monologue. "I'm like a businessman doing business. I love office, and eat taxes with my coffee. Three tickets for the booby movie, please!" That line just cracked me up!

Trump is basically Vincent Adultman from BoJack Horseman. ("I went to stock market today. I did a business.")

Edited by Brandi Maxxxx
To add the BJH comparison
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I thought Sam W was funny mocking how Stephen dances (used to dance) at the beginning of he show. I don't usually watch clip shows, but Sam hooked me in, and then honestly I didn't remember most of the clips they showed, so it was kind of fun.

• Love 2

It was fun revisiting this long, crazy journey. And remembering the days when the show was in the studio with an audience and people could interact in close quarters. Feels so long ago. 

I had blissfully forgotten about that clip of Steyer dancing to that song until last night :p. Loved that they gave a nod to that with the way they removed him from the large group of Democratic candidates-that cracked me up :D. 

It was also interesting to review Biden's campaign as well, and see how he handled some of the bumps along the way. 

• Love 2