Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Six Episode Talk

• Start Topic

Last night's episode was spot on and the conversation between Stephen and Jon - well it got a little teary in my house I have to admit.

I also loved the way he called out the deniers who are trying to claim it was an antifa plan. It was so nice to hear someone forcefully point out "hey genius's the guys who did this are BRAGGING about it"  and when they showed that sad pathetic woman crying because she had been maced or gassed or whatever and admitting exactly what she had been trying to do and why.  Sigh.  I actually felt sorry for her but Stephen sure as hell didn't!  He didn't hold back at all and good for him!

• Love 13

I posted this in the Late Night with Seth Meyers thread but I think it should be here as well.

Seth and his staff have done an incredible job in the last four years to try to call attention to, make sense of and push back against what's happening in the US government. 

Stephen and the rest of late night (Seth, Jimmy K, James, Jimmy F, Samantha, Amber, Larry, Bill, John and Trevor) have risen to and met admirably this herculean task. And arguably they've (some more than others) collectively continued to pioneer new field of comedic journalism, picking up Jon Stewart's ball and running with it as hard as they can.

• Love 17

I love Stephen's anger, to be honest.

But I would also love it if Jon Stewart would come on again so I could see his anger. I just can't help thinking: what is Jon saying about all this?

But I could use a respite from Stephen and everyone else constantly showing me the videos and images of what took place on Wednesday. It's just giving me flashbacks to 9/11.

That said, I have no sympathy/empathy/pity or any kind emotions for that twat who was whining and crying about being maced. She's lucky they let her go instead of arresting her ass.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I have no sympathy/empathy/pity or any kind emotions for that twat who was whining and crying about being maced. She's lucky they let her go instead of arresting her ass.

There are rumors going on Twitter saying that she had onion in her towel, and that she wasn't really maced. On one hand, the thing in her towel does kinda look like an onion, but on the other hand, I find it hard to believe someone could be that stupid. 

Article: Bizarre theory about item wrapped in towel of viral Trump supporter

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Raradra said:

There are rumors going on Twitter saying that she had onion in her towel, and that she wasn't really maced. On one hand, the thing in her towel does kinda look like an onion, but on the other hand, I find it hard to believe someone could be that stupid. 

You're expecting more sense from someone who confessed to treason on camera?

• Love 11
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ohhh! When I saw "Jon", my mind immediately went to Jon Stewart!

Ah, no, sorry! Should've clarified, my fault. But boy, I too would love to hear Jon Stewart's take on all of this. 

10 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I also loved the way he called out the deniers who are trying to claim it was an antifa plan. It was so nice to hear someone forcefully point out "hey genius's the guys who did this are BRAGGING about it"  and when they showed that sad pathetic woman crying because she had been maced or gassed or whatever and admitting exactly what she had been trying to do and why.  Sigh.  I actually felt sorry for her but Stephen sure as hell didn't!  He didn't hold back at all and good for him!

Agreed. All these people like to act like they're so bold when they're out there saying and doing all this heinous stuff, and then when they're held to account for it, they're so quick to pass the buck and say it was someone else. No. Own your shit, you fucking assholes. 

5 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I don't.

Same. There's a lot of very stupid criminals out there, this would be no exception. And I too don't feel a whit of sympathy for them. Not a single bit. Not after the horror show they subjected us to. 

And I'll end there, to keep this from veering any further into political discussion. 

• Love 11

An unexpected Friday show and a great one! A nice light respite from all the recent horror.

Watching Tom Hanks, out of nowhere, bust out reciting the "Our Lips Are Sealed" lyrics - perfectly! - was the best New Year's gift I could have gotten! 

I was so hoping that at least one of the three, when asked what's the scariest animal, would pay tribute to 'The Colbert Report' and answer, BEARS! I didn't get to see that, but it was still a great show. 

• Love 7

Totally agree!  When they previewed what the show was going to be, I rolled my eyes a bit, but turns out it was a thoroughly enjoyable hour.  I love Tom Hanks.  And Meryl and George, but really Tom!  And the monologue was fabulous, as always.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Watching Tom Hanks, out of nowhere, bust out reciting the "Our Lips Are Sealed" lyrics - perfectly! - was the best New Year's gift I could have gotten! 

That was fantastic. Not the song I would've expected him to pick, but hey, it's certainly a good choice, so... 

I also liked everyone talking about their memories of trying to get someone's autograph. There's just something funny about imagining celebrities like Hanks and Streep and that being all, "Ooh, can I have your autograph?! and getting starry-eyed themselves. And Streep and Colbert talking about their respective experiences with Nixon-and not keeping the things they got from him besides-was fun. 

• Love 6

It put me in mind of Craig Kilborn's Five Questions on the old Daily Show.  Although for continuity, Stephen should have had the same shirt on for each interview.  Like Meryl.

"I don't view fruit as a peanut butter delivery system."  Who says Tom Hanks isn't a goddamn national treasure?

Maybe George should lend his Flowbee to Stephen.  That hair's more than a little wild.  And George gave the right answer...lavender.  "Cleaning up after my kids."  Yup.  That's right, too.

• Love 7
On 1/8/2021 at 8:45 AM, anna0852 said:

Stephen and the rest of late night (Seth, Jimmy K, James, Jimmy F, Samantha, Amber, Larry, Bill, John and Trevor) have risen to and met admirably this herculean task. And arguably they've (some more than others) collectively continued to pioneer new field of comedic journalism, picking up Jon Stewart's ball and running with it as hard as they can.

It has made me wonder what they will talk about in February after 4.5 years with nearly every show consumed by the Orange One's latest speech or tweet, showing identical clips and making the same jokes. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Annber03 said:

"It's pretty on brand for America to elect its first female vice-president and still make her do her old job, too."

My mom and I got a really good laugh out of that one :D. 

136638057_2421746004636803_6934048594220949523_n.png

• Love 8

I just caught up on the 15 questions interviews via YouTube.

I loved that Meryl Streep's favorite smell was apple pie (even if it might have been because they just had some) and I loved that she was stumped for a favorite action movie, but I totally LOLed when Stephen went on about her gesture for her favorite phone app. (I needed to laugh)

So. Was Stephen thinking of the number 3? Or was his non-response a bit?

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the Colbert Questionert.  It should be a regular thing he does.  I was surprised that Meryl was the only one who mentioned food as a favorite smell.  When Stephen first asked that question, my thoughts were of freshly baked cinnamon rolls, or a chocolate chip cookie right out of the oven.  

To go back to Wednesday's show, I too thought Sen. Klobuchar and Rep. Kinzinger were not as angry as I thought they might be and at times weren't answering the questions directly, but then in retrospect, I was ok with it. Kinzinger was interviewed earlier, not at the time of the live broadcast, so perhaps he wasn't fully aware of some of the actions/statements that had happened and were coming out throughout the day and evening, and he said he had left the House chamber and returned to his office before things went to complete shit.  Sen. Klobuchar was the Dem lead on the certification of the Electoral College results as the ranking member on the Rules Committee, so her primary focus was getting back into session and getting that done.  Plus they probably had lots of adrenaline coursing through them earlier, and once that drops, exhaustion can set in.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

I really enjoyed the Colbert Questionert.  It should be a regular thing he does.  I was surprised that Meryl was the only one who mentioned food as a favorite smell. When Stephen first asked that question, my thoughts were of freshly baked cinnamon rolls, or a chocolate chip cookie right out of the oven.  

Tom Hanks said vanilla was his favorite smell, which is foody.
Anyway, I'm replying to this more fully on the Small Talk thread here: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/30800-small-talk-live-from-the-ed-sullivan-theater/?do=findComment&comment=6540977

• Love 2

I enjoyed all 3 with the questionnaire, but I think I enjoyed Meryl the best. She seemed to alternate between being funny and exasperated and that in itself was funny to watch. Tom surprised me with liking Our Lips Are Sealed

• Love 3

No way will I dump all over Amy Klobuchar for her interview with Stephen. She, and her colleagues, just went through a horrifying ordeal when a group of terrorist thugs got into the Capitol building looking to do some very serious harm, possibly moreso towards Democrats, all because their leader egged them on. I could only imagine what was going through her mind when she was being interviewed.

I've seen Stephen pissed on camera before, but not like this. And I don't blame him. Those terrorist thugs knew what they were doing by invading and desecrating the Capitol. Stephen is a proud American, and what those fools did on Wednesday was to spit on everything America stands for. This should not be forgotten!

• Love 16

I so needed more of Stephen's anger last night, and was glad to see more of it, even if it was mixed in with jokes. 

Buffering issues prevent me from enjoying the interviews from those celebrities I like. Boo!

I realllllllllllyyyyyyyy need for Jon Stewart to appear.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I so needed more of Stephen's anger last night, and was glad to see more of it, even if it was mixed in with jokes. 

And it's still going strong! His rant calling out those calling for "unity" was great.

I'm also loving the "White Privilege" thing :D. 

(And the guy comparing himself to Gahdhi, MLK, and Jesus. I can't roll my eyes hard enough at that one. Holy fuck, dude. No. Shut up.) 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And it's still going strong! His rant calling out those calling for "unity" was great.

I'm also loving the "White Privilege" thing :D. 

(And the guy comparing himself to Gahdhi, MLK, and Jesus. I can't roll my eyes hard enough at that one. Holy fuck, dude. No. Shut up.) 

I know! I'm loving it!

My eyes could NOT roll hard enough with those statements.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

Has anyone else noticed that the announcer has been calling the band Stay HUMAN again? I've gotten so used to "homin'" that it was a bit jarring. 😂

I did notice that she said that, and it made me wonder if the band was coming back to the Ed Sullivan Theater, but that seems not to be the case.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

I'd love to hear Jon Batiste perform a full version of "Battle Hymn of the Republic". ❤

Same :).

Also, I've never seen "Normal People", but I may have to remedy that sometime, if only to listen to Paul Mescal's accent some more :D. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

I'd love to hear Jon Batiste perform a full version of "Battle Hymn of the Republic". ❤

Yes, please. And maybe more than a president, we need a National Guru, and I think we can all agree it should be Jon Batiste.

• Love 6
On 1/9/2021 at 9:52 PM, Calvada said:

To go back to Wednesday's show, I too thought Sen. Klobuchar and Rep. Kinzinger were not as angry as I thought they might be  

Being from Minnesota myself -- that is normal. It's called "Minnesota Nice" One does not display anger in public! We love Amy Klobucher here - so as always-- I thought she was lovely and spot on. 

• Love 7

Does anyone know when Stephen had that sea shanty convo with Jon? I’m not sure which came first—that or Seth Meyers spending several weeks talking with a painting of an old sea captain.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, ahisma said:

Does anyone know when Stephen had that sea shanty convo with Jon? I’m not sure which came first—that or Seth Meyers spending several weeks talking with a painting of an old sea captain.

I saw Stephen having what appeared to be an initial conversation with Jon on Wednesday, I think.  Jon did not seem to know the sea shanties, but after Stephen sang a verse, Jon started accompanying him and turned it into a fuller keyboard arrangement.  There had just been major stories about the sea shanties in the NY Times and Washington Post in the past week, which brought it much more into mainstream awareness.  

On 1/15/2021 at 10:01 AM, taanja said:

Being from Minnesota myself -- that is normal. It's called "Minnesota Nice" One does not display anger in public! We love Amy Klobucher here - so as always-- I thought she was lovely and spot on. 

Yeah, Sen. Klobucher and her Minnesota colleagues deplore what is happening now and for the past four years in D.C., but after wringing their hands and speaking sternly, say, "here, have a plate of this hot dish casserole."   

Edited by freddi
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, freddi said:

I saw Stephen having what appeared to be an initial conversation with Jon on Wednesday, I think.

Stephen was saying on Friday, “I called this last year.” I was wondering whether he’d actually said it on the show last year. I’m guessing not, then. He does say he talked with his family about it over Christmas, but I think Seth is going to get the “first” on this one. 🙂

• Love 1

The Coney Island Vaccination Clinic was one of the funniest things I've seen on this show. "Plus, you'll be exposed to all kinds of other viruses, like Subway Lung... Bushwick Rot... Gowanus Anus... Staten Island!" I love that announcer's voice.

• Love 5

I loved that, too :D. And the "Hit the Road, Jack" bit as well. Gee,. can ya tell how excited and relieved Stephen and Jon are tonight :p? 

So...there was a rioter who wore a GPS ankle bracelet to the Capitol. And another one who openly shared her name on social media. Amazing. Times like this you're grateful the criminals are so incredibly stupid. 

That library potatoes story. What? 

• Love 7

I've been alternating between "Hit the Road, Jack" and nana na na nana na na hey, hey good-bye with hand gestures. The relief when the swearing-ins were over was overwhelming and now I'm so emotionally exhausted I just want to crawl into my jimjams and fall asleep.

• Love 8

Was I the only one who saw "Melania's" big finale? First, I'll bet it was easy to clear the crowds out of Times Square for the filming, thanks, covid. But how about some love for Laura Benanti and her brilliant work for 4 years, and sending her off with that awesome production number.

• Love 21