Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Six Episode Talk

• Start Topic

missed seeing the exchange between stephen and drummer, joe saylor, last night. happy to see its return tonight.

and what to say about rita moreno — she is one hot shit! wish i looked as good (and moved as well) as her — and i’m 20 years younger.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought this surely had to be the point of Jon Stewart’s bit. 

I don't remember Jon Stewart doing performance art as part of his comedy.  His correspondents certainly did, especially in the interviews, but not Jon. At some point, if he was making statements against against something he believed, he'd let the audience in at some point. 

In that 8 minute segment, he really didn't. He just kept going and some of the arguments, as Stephen pointed out, were ignoring some nuance--as he tried to point out in the FL beach analogy. And to just get that in, Stephen really had to push.

2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I don't think Jon Stewart has changed.  Everyone else has. 

By the end of his run on The Daily Show, I started to feel he wanted to return to an idealized version of the 90s in the same way some people dream about an idealized version of the 60s. 

I think he probably leans towards being honest in his rant even if it felt somewhat intellectually bankrupt.  He had better writers in the good old days.

• Love 4

Well, I have to say that Mr. Colbert playing to a live (and lively) packed studio audience seemed like someone ready to gorge at a banquet after having been lived solely off of Ensure for many months. I can't recall another talk show host with more mutual,genuine warmth between himself and the whole band as Mr. Colbert displayed.

Oh, and Miss Moreno sure DID know how to make an entrance! I only wish she'd had the entire hour to have been interviewed because it seemed like her juices were flowing and she was pulling no punches when she had to go so soon. 

As for Mr. Stewart,  I don't think he should be standing on one foot waiting for his next invite back to the show after Monday night. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Stephen was such a happy little boy last night with the return of a full audience. A little too happy, as it seemed, with him parading around showing off his junk. Even though it was blurred, I still covered my eyes from it. I can't imagine he blurred them for his studio audience. Congratulations, you lucky people?😩

I was quite disappointed with Jon talking about the origins of the Covid virus. He came off as one of those nuts on Fox News. Is he trying to do the right's work for them? Even Stephen was wondering "WTF Jon?"

Agree. I hope this gets better because I miss the broom closet more mature Colbert. WTF with the juvenile opening. And WTF!!! With John Stewart?😳 I turned it off & missed Rita Moreno. I don’t think my shit Spectrum app info had her listed. 

5 hours ago, Blergh said:

As for Mr. Stewart,  I don't think he should be standing on one foot waiting for his next invite back to the show after Monday night. 

I don’t think he needs an invite as he’s one of the executive producers of the show.

1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

I turned it off & missed Rita Moreno. I don’t think my shit Spectrum app info had her listed. 

Rita wasn’t on Monday night’s show. Probably last night? Haven’t watched yet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Rita Moreno is 89?! My God, she has more energy and much better moves than me at 30. I liked her jab at the Golden Globes and her "At f***ing last!

Stephen looks to me at least 5 years younger that in the broom closet, I don't know if it is the jacket, the lighting, or the energy of the audience.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Rita wasn’t on Monday night’s show. Probably last night? Haven’t watched yet.

Tuesday night's show. Loved the interaction she had with the band and they quite clearly appreciated it and some seemed a little gaga over it

• Love 4

I'm not sure Jon has gone down the same rabbit hole Dennis Miller went down or that Bill Maher is going into. He's always had some conflicting viewpoints during his time on TDS. While he's had plenty of liberal views that would make him seem more on the Bernie Sanders side, he's also supported institutions that are more authoritarian and conservative, like the military. And we all know of his tireless work in getting lifetime benefits for the 9/11 first responders - although it would be interesting to ask him how he views the police now, since the murder of George Floyd has managed to unveil the dark side of cops.

So I'd like to think Monday's strange spiel about the origins of Covid-19 was just one of those one offs he does. It would certainly be a major disappointment if he did end up on the dark side!

And now for something completely enjoyable. Jon B's musical number on Monday's show:

• Love 7
(edited)
6 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

And we all know of his tireless work in getting lifetime benefits for the 9/11 first responders - although it would be interesting to ask him how he views the police now, since the murder of George Floyd has managed to unveil the dark side of cops.

I think Jon was on the show last summer after that happened? He and Stephen talked about it and Black Lives Matter, too, I think? Someone upthread mentioned it.

Whatever the reason, I'm just disappointed. I was hoping for something different. Yes, nuance; but also to laugh. The only bright spot for me with these two, were the hugs and seeing their friendship.

And maybe this pandemic has made me sophomoric, but I laughed at the opening number Monday night--the cleverness of the lyrics to the song from Gypsy (I've only ever seen it on The Brady Bunch with Carol and Marcia-Never saw the play), and pixelation/blurring aside, Stephen was totally wearing undies.

And I was totally jealous of the woman who got to dance with him in the audience. If I ever get to a show, I hope I get to sit at the end of the aisle to increase my chances of having the chance to do the same!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I was totally jealous of the woman who got to dance with him in the audience.

Her head covering reminded me of the ones I wore during chemo. I wondered if she had been pre-selected for the dance as a un-trumpeted gesture of good will. 
But sometimes a seemingly random dance partner is just a random dance partner. 🙂

• Love 3

I don't think I like audiences anymore. It gives the show more of an artificial feel, like everything's all an act or a put on. It's more fake-y than when he's by himself.

It's just not as sincere, imo.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

I don't think I like audiences anymore. It gives the show more of an artificial feel, like everything's all an act or a put on. It's more fake-y than when he's by himself.

It's just not as sincere, imo.

I know what you mean.  We have enjoyed the "under produced" pandemic shows best, of all the late night ones we watch.  Of course we don't like the reason this happened.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And maybe this pandemic has made me sophomoric, but I laughed at the opening number Monday night--the cleverness of the lyrics to the song from Gypsy (I've only ever seen it on The Brady Bunch with Carol and Marcia-Never saw the play), and pixelation/blurring aside, Stephen was totally wearing undies.

Scoot over. I'll sit next to you on the sophomoric bench because I was cracking up at the Monday night intro. I love his range from beyond serious, to disappointed dad, to OMG I have to put on real pants?? WTF??

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I don't think I like audiences anymore.

It's like Stephen is paying more attention to the applause than the conversation. He's acting like a desperate person and it's kind of sad. I hope the whole thing settles down after a while. It didn't used to bother me, so maybe it will wear off after people get over the transition.

• Love 5
On 6/15/2021 at 12:42 AM, DanaK said:

I think I’m going to miss Stephen’s intimate and long video interviews with his guests while in the broom closet and doing comedy bits with Evie and his crew giggling off camera. It’s clear that’s a very different energy than in-studio with an audience and Stephen prefers the latter, but I’ll still miss them

I hardly ever saw the show until the pandemic time, so I have seen well over 100 (?) shows from tiny spaces.  It became a lifeline for me, and I laughed as much as I would for an audience show.  It was indeed intimate, and it is going to take me a while to get used to the "regular" show in the theatre.  Right now, it feels like they took a pure little art form and made it into a glitter Funfetti cake:  glitzy, and somewhat familiar, but with me looking for the perfect cake I had been enjoying for the past fifteen months.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Scoot over. I'll sit next to you on the sophomoric bench because I was cracking up at the Monday night intro. I love his range from beyond serious, to disappointed dad, to OMG I have to put on real pants?? WTF??

🥂🍷🍹🥃 Take your pick! I’m drinking the 🥂 and 🍹🥃! 🥴🥴

• Love 4
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I love the audiences because Stephen and Jon Batiste and the others are performers who interact with the audience and that interaction enhances their performances (IMO).

Yeah, but I can't stop thinking it's all a "performance" the whole time now. That's the key word. I know it basically is when he's alone too, but it...doesn't feel like it as much for some reason. I feel like I'm getting more authenticity from him (and all of late night hosts who've had to go without the audience).

FWIW, I listed to Stephen be interviewed on Samantha Bee's podcast recently and he admitted that has to modulate what he says and how he talks about things when there's an audience, and he wouldn't have said some of the things he went on about last year when it came to shootings or the insurrection or Trump's refusal to accept the results of the election, etc. if he still had an audience.

So in other words, he can't be himself as much for a crowd. And that's what I can't stop thinking now watching it. Even though he hates not having an audience, I kinda hate that we're no longer getting his most authentic thoughts about things. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

I kept wishing the audience would shut up so I could hear Stephen.  I miss having just Evie giggling in the background.  Although I do love them all booing the US Capitol breachers.  

As for Jon Stewart - wow.  I was regretting the bit with Dana Carvey since I thought it was taking time from Jon Stewart, but then I wanted Dana to come back.  The lock down really seems to have affected Jon and not in a good way.  

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Calvada said:

I miss having just Evie giggling in the background

Giggling Evie drove me nuts. I’m glad she laughs at his jokes; I just don’t want to hear an audience of one. Mileage varies. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, ruby24 said:

So in other words, he can't be himself as much for a crowd. And that's what I can't stop thinking now watching it. Even though he hates not having an audience, I kinda hate that we're no longer getting his most authentic thoughts about things. 

I think what we've all rediscovered is that TV is a very intimate medium. "A" Late Show was just him and me, hangin' out, sharing stream of consciousness ideas. Translating the theatre experience and excitement has always been challenging for TV, even with wall-sized  screens. And now we realize how distracting and annoying all that manufactured hooting and hollering is. Not to mention the wild applause that punctuates every "I think puppies are cute" comment by host or guest.

There's an article today about Late Night that implies the show has really benefited without a studio audience.

• Love 6
On 6/16/2021 at 1:51 AM, Blergh said:

Oh, and Miss Moreno sure DID know how to make an entrance! I only wish she'd had the entire hour to have been interviewed because it seemed like her juices were flowing and she was pulling no punches when she had to go so soon. 

Well, given that she ended up apologizing for what she said maybe she wishes she hadn't done the interview at all

• Useful 1

Backtracking a bit, Stephen has always used a few Carson gestures but only when he's doing the monologue standing on stage.

I, too, enjoyed the more intimate A Late Show and am finding it hard to re-acclimate to the noise and more public monologues and interviews. With regard to Evie's giggling and the occasional one-man laugh track, I prefer Seth Meyers larger crew audience--you could more of them and they weren't as loud; it just sounded more genuine and comradely to me. The size of the store room might've limited the number, Seth is in a studio.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Am I weird? I had no problem with Stephen returning to an audience. Nothing was jarring to me. Well except Jon's interview, but I've already posted my feelings on that.

It made me wish I could have been in the audience. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 6
On 6/16/2021 at 7:31 AM, VCRTracking said:

Unfortunately Trump and the GOP have made it like asking legitimate questions about how the virus originated have become politicized. Deliberately naming it the "China virus" and escalating anti-Asian feelings among his base to deflect his incompetent handling of the pandemic. 

Even so, is a question really legitimate if the person asking it has already made up their mind?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ABay said:

Backtracking a bit, Stephen has always used a few Carson gestures but only when he's doing the monologue standing on stage.

I miss the intimacy, too. But I did realize that in addition to the hand in the pocket, I’ve missed the way he truly commits to handling all his invisible props. He has master level mime skills when he’s moving freely on a stage versus not being able to do nearly as much sitting behind a desk. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, ahisma said:

…He has master level mime skills when he’s moving freely on a stage versus not being able to do nearly as much sitting behind a desk. 

Also loved him dancing with Jon Batiste and then the next night with Rita Moreno. 
I guess they rehearsed?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Am I weird? I had no problem with Stephen returning to an audience. Nothing was jarring to me. Well except Jon's interview, but I've already posted my feelings on that.

I don't think you're weird. I think it's just a matter of temperament. Some people like the crowd, others don't, but it's not like feeling either way is bizarre, it's just a thing we're noticing about ourselves as the show makes its pivot.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, SG429 said:

There's an article today about Late Night that implies the show has really benefited without a studio audience.

Can you post the link?  I'd like to read that.  :)

• Love 4
13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

You aren’t weird. While they were out of the studio, I missed the audience and I’m glad they are back in the studio with an audience, even though I will miss the intimacy of the non-audience broom closet, Evie’s giggling, and long Zoom interviews with guests. They are different things and each has its own energy. I greatly enjoyed getting back with an audience because it feels like a renewal of sorts given how things have gone this past year and it feels so good. That will probably wear off over time but for now, I’m really enjoying the heightened energy

• Love 7

Seth might actually benefit from a studio audience as it would make him slow down his pace of talking in his scripted bits.

I actually think these late night shows benefited from having no studio audience. Trevor Noah is taking a three month break over the summer to see how he can incorporate what he gained from doing TDS from his apartment. But I can see how someone like Stephen wants so badly to have an audience to feed off of as it gives him the strength and confidence to perform. It's like they're recharging his battery for him.

And I would know. I personally experienced that!

Exactly ten years ago next month, I was in New York to attend live tapings of both TCR and TDS. As we were waiting in line to get into TCR's studio, the staff that was going to herd us in told us more than once to make lots and lots of noise, as Stephen loves it when the crowd is wildly cheering him.

So, once we got in to sit and wait, and after the comedian they brought out did his warm up act, they introduced Stephen, who ran right out, circled the audience with his hand out for everyone in the front to high five him. (I was near the front, so I got my hand out and he grazed my fingertips😍😁) Stephen then stood in the middle of the stage to take in the audience cheering and chanting his name. Sitting on the far right of the audience two seats up and on an aisle seat, I had one foot in the middle of my seat and the other on the aisleway, knees bent, and pumping my fists out scream chanting Stephen's name very loudly as if I were in the supporters section of a soccer match cheering the home team on.

After we were done cheering and applauding him, Stephen walked right up to me with his hand out to shake my hand and to thank me for cheering for him the way I did!😍😍😍😁😁😁😁😁. Then, after fielding questions from the audience, he got to his seat to begin the show. He immediately took off the Wriststrong bracelet he was wearing and fired it off right to me, which I received and immediately put on my wrist. I consider it my prized possession.😁👍

The show might have benefited from the past fifteen months, but it certainly didn't help Stephen's psyche. He's in a much better place of mind now that things seem to be getting back to normal.

• Useful 5
  • Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Seth might actually benefit from a studio audience as it would make him slow down his pace of talking in his scripted bits.

I actually think these late night shows benefited from having no studio audience. Trevor Noah is taking a three month break over the summer to see how he can incorporate what he gained from doing TDS from his apartment. But I can see how someone like Stephen wants so badly to have an audience to feed off of as it gives him the strength and confidence to perform. It's like they're recharging his battery for him.

And I would know. I personally experienced that!

Exactly ten years ago next month, I was in New York to attend live tapings of both TCR and TDS. As we were waiting in line to get into TCR's studio, the staff that was going to herd us in told us more than once to make lots and lots of noise, as Stephen loves it when the crowd is wildly cheering him.

So, once we got in to sit and wait, and after the comedian they brought out did his warm up act, they introduced Stephen, who ran right out, circled the audience with his hand out for everyone in the front to high five him. (I was near the front, so I got my hand out and he grazed my fingertips😍😁) Stephen then stood in the middle of the stage to take in the audience cheering and chanting his name. Sitting on the far right of the audience two seats up and on an aisle seat, I had one foot in the middle of my seat and the other on the aisleway, knees bent, and pumping my fists out scream chanting Stephen's name very loudly as if I were in the supporters section of a soccer match cheering the home team on.

After we were done cheering and applauding him, Stephen walked right up to me with his hand out to shake my hand and to thank me for cheering for him the way I did!😍😍😍😁😁😁😁😁. Then, after fielding questions from the audience, he got to his seat to begin the show. He immediately took off the Wriststrong bracelet he was wearing and fired it off right to me, which I received and immediately put on my wrist. I consider it my prized possession.😁👍

The show might have benefited from the past fifteen months, but it certainly didn't help Stephen's psyche. He's in a much better place of mind now that things seem to be getting back to normal.

Thank you for sharing your experience, @Victor the Crab! I got a vicarious thrill reading it. 🤩
I will not likely ever attend in person, but the first full-audience show this week made me seriously consider it!
And ITA about Seth's reading the script. It's a little better now, but really Not His Thing. Sometimes I want to offer to read it for him, LOL.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

I was laughing so hard at the "quote" from the NYC City Council candidate caught on video that I had to pause the recording until I could recover. It was completely predictable and stupid, and also just so darn funny 😂

• Love 3
14 hours ago, FoundTime said:

I was laughing so hard at the "quote" from the NYC City Council candidate caught on video that I had to pause the recording until I could recover.

I was not. The story was that a sex tape leaked of a political candidate doing something consensual but outside conventional norms. This is the kind of thing Katie Hill got hounded out of Congress for when her ex revenge porned her.

Amplifying this kind of story (even for “good-natured lulz”) just encourages more people to do it. If it were a married, Conservative candidate who was being hypocritical about legislating sexuality, I would get the value, for both news and satire. But that wasn’t the story Stephen told. 

A day later, there’s speculation the candidate himself was involved in the leak in order to get more attention for his campaign. In that case, although not known at the time, there wouldn’t be the spreading revenge porn angle but there’d be the “duped into amplifying this guy’s self promotion” angle. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

I did not previously know Andrew Garfield, but he was a great guest, especially for the first week back live.

Was last night's show the first time since the pandemic that Stephen mimed setting something aside and Jon made a matching *plink* sound on the piano? I loved it. Felt like home.

I also appreciated Stephen being so gracious about The Peabody Award, but the rest of the show was not my cup of tea, which is just how it is for me and late night TV.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I did not previously know Andrew Garfield, but he was a great guest, especially for the first week back live.

He was so incredibly charming and lovely. I've heard of him, but I've not seen any of his work. May have to remedy that someday. 

I also appreciated Stephen being so gracious about The Peabody Award

Same. That was a really nice speech he gave. I love when he takes the time to acknowledge everyone behind the scenes and all the hard work they put into the show. 

• Love 5

Since it was for everyone who worked on the show, I wondered if that means Evie and their sons also got them for acting as crew. And then I wonder if they got paid during the time they were his crew.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Since it was for everyone who worked on the show, I wondered if that means Evie and their sons also got them for acting as crew. And then I wonder if they got paid during the time they were his crew.

Great question! 
And now: I assumed there was just one physical trophy for the winner, regardless of how many people are included in the win. No?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Ailianna said:

If not, they should!!! But knowing Stephen, I'm sure they got trophies. 🥰

• Love 2

Stephen makes chicken thighs sound like a bad thing. I wouldn't mind sinking my teeth into one of those Wingstop thighs as they tend to be the juiciest, tastiest part of the chicken. I always use cut up chicken thighs when making a dish of chicken and rice casserole as the juices from the thighs soak into the rice for a delicious meal!😋

• Love 6

I loved the story about the people in Japan mistaking a sex doll for a corpse :p. That's quite a turnaround from how those types of scenarios usually go-every time I watch some true crime show, inevitably there's always a story where someone sees a dead body and mistakes it for a mannequin at first (because apparently it's common for people to think mannequins are just strewn all over town, or in the water, I guess?). 

I also got a good laugh out of Stephen's mock offended reaction to being lumped into the general mention of "other late night hosts" when talking about that news story with the former guy and the DOJ. "I should get more than a '...and the rest' mention!" XD. 

• LOL 2
5 minutes ago, DanaK said:

It cracks me up that Stephen won't say Trump's actual name and they mask it when they show some print (or use an alternative)

Yes, they've been doing that for months now. I also enjoy the sustained boos of the live audience whenever that person is referred to. The smile on Stephen's face when that happens is just priceless. 😊

• Love 4

Ooh, thanks for the video, will be watching that shortly, then :)! 

I know there's a DVD out there of the performance of Company that Stephen was in. I need to add that to my "to buy" list, I want to see that.