Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Six Episode Talk

• Start Topic

Damnit, I thought I was done getting emotional today. That opening montage summed up my feelings so perfectly. 

"Even though it was abnormal, at least we understood why it was abnormal." Well put. Wonderful monologue tonight. It's nice to have some lighthearted stuff to laugh about. 

• Love 8
21 hours ago, ABay said:

I've been alternating between "Hit the Road, Jack" and nana na na nana na na hey, hey good-bye with hand gestures.

Don't forget, "Ding dong, the witch is dead!"

16 hours ago, SG429 said:

But how about some love for Laura Benanti and her brilliant work for 4 years, and sending her off with that awesome production number.

Love Laura Benanti.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Fable said:

@Annber03, I'll see your library potato story and raise with a dinosaur butthole.  😁

Stephen's take on that story was hysterical :D. The look on his face after he read that bit detailing the shape of the hole. "I'm upset to have read that aloud." The Gweynth Paltrow line afterward was the perfect topper. 

I also agree with his suggestion that the QAnon people should just go get into nerd culture instead. That Tolkein rant was fun. 

• Love 5

Also: only a rampant Sil freak would freak out about Glorfindel while remaining silent about one of the trilogy's worst character assassinations: Justice for Faramir!!!

(And I haven't forgotten that diss on the Hobbit!)

*shows herself out*

• Love 3

I think Priyanka Chopra is a mediocre actress at best, but I covet her hair. That said, what the HELL did she do to her lips? Every time she laughed or smiled, it looked like her upper lip was touching the tip of her nose!

I 😂😂🤣🤣😂😂😂 at Stephen’s slo-mo repeating of “Preseeeedent Biiiiiiden” something something comparing it to licking frosting off of a spoon.😂😂😂😂😂 

Still waiting for Jon Stewart to appear SOON!

• Love 4

I liked when Chopra pointed out that India had had women in positions of power already, so when she saw Harris being inaugurated, her reaction was more along the lines of, "Way to finally catch up, America!" :p. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

I liked when Chopra pointed out that India had had women in positions of power already, so when she saw Harris being inaugurated, her reaction was more along the lines of, "Way to finally catch up, America!" :p. 

I was expecting her to actually say Indira Gandhi! (No relation to Mahatma Gandhi).

• Love 3
On 1/23/2021 at 5:33 AM, MissLucas said:

Also: only a rampant Sil freak would freak out about Glorfindel while remaining silent about one of the trilogy's worst character assassinations: Justice for Faramir!!!

(And I haven't forgotten that diss on the Hobbit!)

*shows herself out*

A bit late in Replying, but ...

Considering the hatchet job that PJ did on poor Faramir, maybe it's a Good Thing that he left Glorfy out of the films completely. NEVER diss a Lord of Gondolin (Salgant excepted).

And will someone PLEASE explain the difference to Stephen between the pronunciation of "Gollum" (soft "o" like "on") and a "Golem" (long "o" like Goat) which Wikipedia describes as "In Jewish folklore, a golem (/ˈɡoʊləm/ GOH-ləm; Hebrew: גולם‎) is an animated anthropomorphic being that is created entirely from inanimate matter". The films' adherence to Tolkien's vision may have been flawed in places (!) but their adherance to his languages' pronunciation was pretty accurate. Otherwise, we love you, Stephen!

(picks up her copy of the Silm and follows Misslucas out the door...)

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Hyacinth B said:

And will someone PLEASE explain the difference to Stephen between the pronunciation of "Gollum" (soft "o" like "on") and a "Golem" (long "o" like Goat) which Wikipedia describes as "In Jewish folklore, a golem (/ˈɡoʊləm/ GOH-ləm; Hebrew: גולם‎) is an animated anthropomorphic being that is created entirely from inanimate matter". The films' adherence to Tolkien's vision may have been flawed in places (!) but their adherance to his languages' pronunciation was pretty accurate. Otherwise, we love you, Stephen!

Well, Gollum is an animated anthropomorphic being. He'd fit the definition of "golem" if only they'd used Claymation instead. Though to be fair, the folklore pre-dates the advent of motion capture CGI technology so it probably wasn't taken into consideration.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 1/24/2021 at 9:04 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Still waiting for Jon Stewart to appear SOON!

Not quite on topic but Jon just joined Twitter and the only account he followed is Arby's. I always forget how much I miss him until he pops up and does something like that.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

I'm confused. When was the bit with Biden filmed? 

A week after he was declared the new president. Stephen said in his opening statement that he’d been president for 9 days. So this is from mid-November.

The synopsis on my dvr stated this is a clip show: “The best of President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris.”

ETA: Oh, I see you what you mean! Based on the Christmas stockings in the background and Biden saying he’s losing his job soon, think the bit is from December 2016?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

I loved that! Especially Stephen’s Scrooge impression. “You there, boy, what administration is this?” And the 2016 family meeting with Pops. “Gosh damned! I mean, darned!” “Look what you did! You made Pops say the D word!”

Obama has fantastic comedy chops—his Washington Correspondent Dinners were the best. But Joe’s no slouch! His dad routine meshes excellently with Stephen’s. 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, ahisma said:

I loved that! Especially Stephen’s Scrooge impression. “You there, boy, what administration is this?” And the 2016 family meeting with Pops. “Gosh damned! I mean, darned!” “Look what you did! You made Pops say the D word!”

Obama has fantastic comedy chops—his Washington Correspondent Dinners were the best. But Joe’s no slouch! His dad routine meshes excellently with Stephen’s. 

I love that video that both Biden and Obama did together about the raybans!😂😂😂😂 or were those aviator sunglasses?

And DAMMIT! That 2016 interview with Biden made me ugly 😭 again!!!

• Love 7

So good to see Father Jim again! Maybe other recurring Report guests can stop by, like Doris Kearns Goodman (and apologies to her), Hans the German comedian, and the guy who explained Super PACs and other financial things..

• Love 4

I enjoyed the segment of his weather twin on the roof talking to him.  On Facebook there is a bonus "zoom out" clip of him throwing snowballs at the camera guy and camera.  

• Love 3

I loved the whole bit with the cat video that's going around :D. Especially at the end, when Stephen imagined using that cat filter for Trump's lawyer during the impeachment trial.

I also got a good laugh out of him quoting "The Joker". 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I happened to catch Stephen's interview of Rebecca Breeds from the series "Clarice" last night. I doubt I'll be watching the series, but she was like a breath of [intelligent, talented] fresh air (unlike the dark series). Stephen seemed a bit smitten (as is probably anyone around her) when he called her something like "kiddo" once and was sure to credit "my wife" once, but maybe I read too much into it. 😉 
Anyway, her natural ability to do accents does not apparently extend to teaching them to SC. LOL

• Love 3

I liked the interview with her, too :). She seems cool. I'm planning on checking out the show, just 'cause it seems to fit in my general wheelhouse in terms of the types of shows I like to watch. I wish her success with this. 

• Love 1

The passing of Chick Corea was announced in the media on Thursday; I did not hear if he was mentioned on the show, but Jon Batiste and the band played Corea’s “Spain” at the end of Stephen’s opening segment, and when he came back for the second segment.  It’s such a beautiful piece.  

• Love 3

Yay, he’s back! ☺️

Kinda OT but with the exception of Trevor Noah and Jimmy Kimmel, all the late night hosts were off last week. Even Bill Maher didn’t have a live show last Friday. Was there something going on last week that I’m unaware of?

I love Bootsy so much! 

Regina King is also awesome. I loved their mutual admiration society. If you haven’t seen One Night in Miami, it’s excellent!

Edited by ahisma
typo
  • Love 4

"Considering the shape of that stage, I'm guessing Ted Cruz wasn't the only one quoting Mel Gibson." Oh, snap

On a much lighter note, congrats to Jon Batiste on his GG win :D! I love how giddy he looks. Aw 🙂 <3. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

I'm glad/relieved/not really surprised that Jon was amused by the mispronunciation of "Soul" as "Sow" by the GG presenter. 

4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I'm guessing Ted Cruz wasn't the only one quoting Mel Gibson."

I'm guessing Ted Cruz doesn't recall how that played out for William Wallace in "Brave Heart."

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
(edited)

Stephen had me 🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂 with tonight’s opening using my Crack from the mid-80s G.I. JOE!!! With one of Cobra Commander's minions saying “Just Wear a Mask!”😂😂😂😂😂

I forgive him for using one of my favorite movies Braveheart as Cruz’s mouthpiece last night, despite Mel Gibson’s standing or lack of, and his fall from Grace in Hollywood and in the public’s eye due to his assholery and antisemitism notwithstanding.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
21 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Stephen had me 🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂 with tonight’s opening using my Crack from the mid-80s G.I. JOE!!! With one of Cobra Commanders minions saying “Just Wear a Mask!”😂😂😂😂😂

The character with the mask at the end was Shredder from the 80's/90's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon which is what the whole opening bit was based on. I still have that opening theme from the cartoon stuck in my head today thanks to that opening last night...😆

Edited by Jaded
Grammar
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Jaded said:

The character with the mask at the end was Shredder from the 80's/90's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon which is what the while opening bit was based on. I still have that opening theme from the cartoon stuck in my head today thanks to that opening last night...😆

Really? He looked like one of those top minions of Cobra’s! Then again, I paid more attention to the romances of Duke & Scarlett and Flynt & Lady Jaye!😅😅😅

• Love 1