Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E07: Highs and Lows

Sew Sumi
  • Start Topic

Jinger and Jeremy share the sad news that they have miscarried their baby; in Arkansas, Ben has second thoughts as he undergoes eye surgery; Jeremy throws Jinger a surprise party filled with some unexpected guests and a special gift.

Airs August 18, 2020

Did TLC pay for Ben's LASIK? Just wondering...

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Guys, I'm three shows behind. I may have hit the Duggar TV show wall.

Let me help...possible baby. Some actual babies. Gratuitous “competition” of some sort. Y’alls, y’all. Fabricated drama. Possible courtship...or not. Too much Michelle and JB, meaning any.

Now you’re covered for the rest of the season.

• LOL 13
  • Love 9
(edited)

They're on episode 7 with only one pregnancy announcement that ended the next episode. No cliffhanger courtships, back in December or now.

Next week appears to be Christmas. Was Joy far enough along then to announce? I guess we'll have to wait with bated breath. 🙄

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They're on episode 7 with only one pregnancy announcement that ended the next episode. No cliffhanger courtships, back in December or now. 

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Of course it's highly likely that, in this crew, any actual courtships, whether cliffhanger or no, would also be    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

Of course it's highly likely that, in this crew, any actual courtships, whether cliffhanger or no, would also be    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Really. Who actually gives a flying fuck about the Howlers?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Guys, I'm three shows behind. I may have hit the Duggar TV show wall.

I watch the clips on YouTube. I can no longer sit through full length episodes of these people. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 8
56 minutes ago, louannems said:

We gave up a bunch of higher channels to save money.  So I no longer have TLC.  Did the show ever discuss Joy's earlier stillborn baby?

I haven’t watched all that much, but, I did catch a scene where Joy and her husband talked about it and they planted a tree at the site where they buried the baby. It seemed to be in the forest near their house or a small family cemetery.  It was quite touching. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I haven’t watched all that much, but, I did catch a scene where Joy and her husband talked about it and they planted a tree at the site where they buried the baby. It seemed to be in the forest near their house or a small family cemetery.  It was quite touching. 

The impression I get is it is on Austin's family land in Madison County, though I could be wrong. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

The impression I get is it is on Austin's family land in Madison County, though I could be wrong. 

You're correct. It's actually the spot where Austin proposed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Man, Jeremy knocked it out of the park with that series of surprises.  He really does seem to dote on her.  And their baby is just insanely cute.

It was nice of MEchelle to express her thanks to Jinger so eloquently during her speech for raising a few of her children for her.  (Seriously, TLC, way too much MEchelle.)

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
  • Love 4

I couldn't watch the Ben scenes - I can't stand eye things. I wear glasses because I can't touch my eyeball with my finger to put in a contact lens.

ETA: FFS, Jeremy, you're seriously wearing a pocket square with a professor blazer and turtleneck?

Edited by madpsych78
  • LOL 6
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Next week appears to be Christmas. Was Joy far enough along then to announce? I guess we'll have to wait with bated breath. 🙄

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Joy told Austin that she was pregnant on his birthday (December 11th).  So definitely possible. 

Joy wasn't far enough along to tell the world, but she could have told her family. 

• Useful 1

3 things annoyed me this epi—

1–Why did Jinge have to take Lissy to the photography class?  She couldn’t have an hour to herself?  

2–Lissy didn’t get to go to the party and see her extended family that she rarely sees. If Ivy got to go (I assume b/c breastfeeding), Lissy should’ve too.

3–Where was Laura during the coffee outing?  Babysitting duty?  Shopping?  Hanging w/Ben & Jimbob?  

25 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Joy told Austin that she was pregnant on his birthday (December 11th).  So definitely possible. 

Joy wasn't far enough along to tell the world, but she could have told her family. 

If she told him on his birthday, she should be delivering soon. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Tdoc72 said:

If she told him on his birthday, she should be delivering soon. 

She's due today (Wednesday the 19th). Her doctor doesn't really want her going over so she'll either be induced soon, or she'll have the baby or she's had the baby. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Temperance said:

She's due today (Wednesday the 19th). Her doctor doesn't really want her going over so she'll either be induced soon, or she'll have the baby or she's had the baby. 

Oh yeah, just remembered she had a c-section for the first. (No idea what she did for Annabel. She might’ve been small enough to VBAC).  When I had my c-sections, they had me schedule a week before my due date so baby wouldn’t stretch out the already cut uterus. 

• Love 1

Observations

Jinger looks pale and tired.

I could not tell which child was Ivy and which was Felicity.

Ivy is Jessa's protector from having to talk to people she does not know.  No way Jessa's leaving her at the hotel.

"I only need you to talk for 45 to 50 minutes" made me laugh.  Jeremy may be a poser but at least he's got some life in him.

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 3

Jeremy:  “Wear your new dress.  Do you have heels to go with it?”  Ok, ladies and gents, is that a familiar dialogue?  Not here, not ever.  And the fur wrap?  Not a cute, funky faux?  What happened to the stylish one.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

Was Jinger 2-3 weeks pregnant? And they devoted most of a show to it? A wonder she didn't collect the blood and have a funeral.

She said last week that she was 10 weeks. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Vandy10 said:

So the Duggar’s teacher (Ben) can’t read an analog clock. Whoo-boy, I feel for these 2nd generation pupils of the SOTDRT.

I gave him half credit for at least knowing it was an analog.  Obviously not a passing grade, but some credit nonetheless.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

Man, Jeremy knocked it out of the park with that series of surprises.  He really does seem to dote on her.  And their baby is just insanely cute.

It was nice of MEchelle to express her thanks to Jinger so eloquently during her speech for raising a few of her children for her.  (Seriously, TLC, way too much MEchelle.)

My impressions:

Jinger was absolutely not surprised, not even a little bit.  Seriously, Jeremy supposedly set up a "photography class" to which she took their daughter who's possibly tentatively labeled a toddler.  Her only "classmate" was the daughter of the family whose house was being staged to be invaded by Duggars.  And they were using iPhones?   Try harder producers, I'm taking a hard pass on that nonsense.

The whole surprise shenanigans did result in what I found most curious, the dynamic between JB and Jeremy when greeting each other at the hotel room door.  JB clearly tried to be dominant at the greeting, but was met head on with Jeremy.  By the time Jeremy was set to ask Michelle to speak at the party JB's entire demeanor was clearly much toned down, smaller.  IMO Jeremy brings out insecurities in JB.  While I have to say I find that amusing, I'd imagine it's dangerous with JB keeping a death grip on the $$$$ and Jeremy with no obvious means to maintain a budget, champagne or beer -- even, shudder, domestic, non craft brew. 

ETA:  I also felt really sad for Jill when I realized that Jana and Jessa were there for Jinger's party, leaving Jill very much out of the party.   That feels very deliberately hurtful.

Edited by Tikichick
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
15 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

The whole surprise shenanigans did result in what I found most curious, the dynamic between JB and Jeremy when greeting each other at the hotel room door.  JB clearly tried to be dominant at the greeting, but was met head on with Jeremy.  By the time Jeremy was set to ask Michelle to speak at the party JB's entire demeanor was clearly much toned down, smaller.  IMO Jeremy brings out insecurities in JB.  While I have to say I find that amusing, I'd imagine it's dangerous with JB keeping a death grip on the $$$$ and Jeremy with no obvious means to maintain a budget, champagne or beer -- even, shudder, domestic, non craft brew. 

Interesting....

I notice that nobody has referred to any of the sons-in-law as "sons-in-love." With JB's ego and his wallet involved, I wonder if it might evolve over time into sons-in-mortal-combat. .....

It's already happened once. And then there's this dynamic you've described with Jeremy...and Austin has been a bit grumpy about the show at times...and has a career of his own....

Jim Bob has never allowed independence from his own sons, and I wonder if he doesn't feel equally pissy about independence when it comes to the adjacents....I mean, he'd like them to bring cash into the situation. But independent opinions and actions not so much, probably. He is King of the Hill, after all.

Jer needs to be sure he's joining Der and Austin in developing a career path of his own that will be able to support his family without any help from JB or TLC, I think. Hard to tell how well he's doing that, with his diffuse-seeming ambitions and life-of-leisure social-media presence. But, as you say, if you actually need money in that crowd, it's probably dangerous to try to dominate JB in any way. He doesn't like it.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Interesting....

I notice that nobody has referred to any of the sons-in-law as "sons-in-love." With JB's ego and his wallet involved, I wonder if it might evolve over time into sons-in-mortal-combat. .....

It's already happened once. And then there's this dynamic you've described with Jeremy...and Austin has been a bit grumpy about the show at times...and has a career of his own....

Jim Bob has never allowed independence from his own sons, and I wonder if he doesn't feel equally pissy about independence when it comes to the adjacents....I mean, he'd like them to bring cash into the situation. But independent opinions and actions not so much, probably. he is King of the Hill, after all.

Jer needs to be sure he's joining Der and Austin in developing a career path of his own that will be able to support his family without any help from JB or TLC, I think. Hard to tell how well he's doing that, with his diffuse-seeming ambitions and life-of-leisure social-media presence. But, as you say, if you actually need money in that crowd, it's probably dangerous to try to dominate JB in any way. He doesn't like it.

JB's dream is a cog-in-law he can just drop directly into the JB machine who will blindly just start spitting out a revenue stream, directly into JB's pot of course, without ever looking up to express a single opinion, content to just toil away mindlessly like a piece of machinery.  A strappin' young rube who has some real knowledge about general contracting, some dollars in his pocket he can be talked into "investing" (silently) into JB Duggar Inc. where he can rest assured it will be protected from Uncle Sam and brilliantly managed for growth as only JB can do it would be ideal.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Interesting....

Jim Bob has never allowed independence from his own sons, and I wonder if he doesn't feel equally pissy about independence when it comes to the adjacents....I mean, he'd like them to bring cash into the situation. But independent opinions and actions not so much, probably. He is King of the Hill, after all.

I'm trying to think what career could support a spouse (who has no apparent marketable job skills to add $$ in a pinch) and an unlimited supply of children. What is their largest monthly expenditure . ACA ins (which I think charges for each person vs. "family") ? Home mortgage/taxes? CarS & associated ins (note this crew has at least 2) ? Food?

For example - John Webster - Alyssa Bates husband does HVAC. Yes as many of us are facing another day of 90+ degree August summer  heat, makes good money. And probably "ok" money for their family of 5+. Would it still be great for a family of 8-10? 15?  If the money in HVAC was all that endowed - more people would be doing it, as opposed to other fields. And to be realistic - an HVAC service person isn't in short supply  in FL. Personally - I don't want to have a HVAC person on the payroll - meaning if they have to keep coming back to fix/charge/fix repeat, trust, I will no longer be adding to their business financially.

Now back to Jer - yes a Masters in Divinity should open doors - eps. if he branches out into larger established places of worship. And stay there - building a reputation/following . But I also get Jer likes the "better" things in life too. Just don't see him being too much of a pauper - but then there is that endless supply of children issue.

Der - depending on his law specialty , yeah that Duggar branch should be quite comfortable... But even if he's a partner in a major firm , grossing six figures, the more children,  the more outgoing money.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Oh yeah, just remembered she had a c-section for the first. (No idea what she did for Annabel. She might’ve been small enough to VBAC).  When I had my c-sections, they had me schedule a week before my due date so baby wouldn’t stretch out the already cut uterus. 

Cesareans are scheduled a week in advance to prevent you from going into labor and needing an emergency cesarean in the middle of the night.  This is because cesareans done when a woman has been in labor are riskier and, also, OB docs spend enough time awake in the middle of the night and we prefer to do our surgeries in the daylight hours.  Stretching the uterine scar is an interesting story, but not the real reason, IMO.

Topic: I am sure Joy delivered Annabel vaginally, there was no reason to do a cesarean for a tiny baby who was no longer alive and, at that point in pregnancy, the lower uterine segment, the part of the womb where we make the 'bikini cut' to deliver the baby is not developed and thin like it is at term which means making a vertical incision which makes it far more likely her uterus would rupture catastrophically in a future pregnancy.

I expect, based on Gideon's size and, perhaps based on his or her examination of Joy's pelvis; her doctor recommended not trying to be heroic and tempt fate and that it would be best to deliver on time since babies gain about half a pound a week at the end of pregnancy.  Often, I would examine the woman at term and, if her cervix was ripe (ready for labor), we'd talk about induction.  If nothing was happening, then we'd go ahead and schedule a cesarean.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, sATL said:

I'm trying to think what career could support a spouse (who has no apparent marketable job skills to add $$ in a pinch) and an unlimited supply of children. What is their largest monthly expenditure . ACA ins (which I think charges for each person vs. "family") ? Home mortgage/taxes? CarS & associated ins (note this crew has at least 2) ? Food?

. . . 

Now back to Jer - yes a Masters in Divinity should open doors - eps. if he branches out into larger established places of worship. And stay there - building a reputation/following . But I also get Jer likes the "better" things in life too. Just don't see him being too much of a pauper - but then there is that endless supply of children issue.

Der - depending on his law specialty , yeah that Duggar branch should be quite comfortable... But even if he's a partner in a major firm , grossing six figures, the more children,  the more outgoing money.

I agree, the Duggar sons seem to be pretty short on marketable skills and have remained confined within the limits of JB's businesses, and none of them have apparently deviated from the Duggar family line that Duggars are supposed to pump out lots of babeez for Jesus.

OTOH I don't think Jeremy or Derick are adherents of the Quiverfull philosophy.

The Dillards may have started out their marriage with Derick joining fundie-land, but he's now returned to his mainstream Southern Baptist roots and Jill's with him. Either for medical reasons or choice (not our biz to know), they haven't rushed to have a third child. Plenty of mainstream Southern Baptists use birth control.

Jer and Jinger didn't rush into parenthood ,and if he's ever parroted the Duggar family bullshit line, "as many kids as God decides to send us," I doubt it was often or with enthusiasm.

I don't think the Dillards or Vuolos will end up with a house packed with kids. They may be the exception in that generation of Dugars - and ironically Jeremy and Derick are the ones with earning potential not dependent on JB. 

Austin's got his own business but seems into the babymaking in a big way. His income may not stretch to a passel of kids. We'll see.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I agree, the Duggar sons seem to be pretty short on marketable skills and have remained confined within the limits of JB's businesses, and none of them have apparently deviated from the Duggar family line that Duggars are supposed to pump out lots of babeez for Jesus.

OTOH I don't think Jeremy or Derick are adherents of the Quiverfull philosophy.

The Dillards may have started out their marriage with Derick joining fundie-land, but he's now returned to his mainstream Southern Baptist roots and Jill's with him. Either for medical reasons or choice (not our biz to know), they haven't rushed to have a third child. Plenty of mainstream Southern Baptists use birth control.

Jer and Jinger didn't rush into parenthood ,and if he's ever parroted the Duggar family bullshit line, "as many kids as God decides to send us," I doubt it was often or with enthusiasm.

I don't think the Dillards or Vuolos will end up with a house packed with kids. They may be the exception in that generation of Dugars - and ironically Jeremy and Derick are the ones with earning potential not dependent on JB. 

somehow I find it hard to believe Der wearing a condom, or even Jilly allowing a condom (male or female). Doubtful she would swallow a pill or do something more evasive. Probably a deep verse in their teachings about pulling out...  But there's always the calendar method - which must be working OT given the fertile women Jill comes from

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Ratings are in:  1.169 M viewers and a .19 rating.  29th cable show of the day.

Wonder if the breakout stars or the eye surgery was more of a draw? 😁

Calm down, Jer, I know it was you and Jingle. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2