Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: A Light Supper

• Start Topic

I appreciate getting some background into how Allison got to where she did.  Five and the Handler bargaining is so much fun! Kate Walsh is clearing having the time of her life. I acknowledge the impracticality of her wardrobe, but I still WANT it desperately? It's fantastic!

Allison showing Ray her power was clearly needed, and they had fun, but it was good that he saw the power of it and how it could potentially consume her. For Allison, it feels like her power can be an addiction in the same way alcohol or drugs are to people. She didn't use it for a couple of years, and especially with the loss of her voice for awhile, getting it back was a rush.

The meeting with Dad - well, I've been waiting for Allison to rumor Diego (that was so awesome!), but it was sad how quickly Hargreeves reduced Diego to a stuttering boy. Good on Luther for standing up to him, and Ben's attempt to be heard was a bit futile, although it resulted in Luther dragging Klaus by the foot from the elevator, so that was fun!

RIP, Elliott. You will be missed.

• Love 11

I thought it was interesting just being back with Dad had everyone reverting back to who they were as kids even to the point of trying to shut down Vanya even if it was for a different reason.  But this version of Vanya is a different person without the anger and hurt and is the only one who managed to keep her cool at all and not revert back to being a child and actually did impress dad.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8

Shallow alert:  Ray is one really fine looking man.

Ok, I love how out of everything Allison told him he was most impressed with a black president.  I feel ya, Ray!  And yes, I am happy to see how Allison got from the alley to meeting Ray.  Again the music, the set design and the fashion design on this is really hitting on all cylinders. I loved that clothes scene, but that scene right after... So you see Ray, this is why Allison doesn't do that all the time.

Go Team Zero!! But dang, Diego give the JFK thing a rest.

Dinner was ... an experience.  But oof! Reggie was brutal to poor Diego. Allison slurping those drinks with the umbrellas throughout was great.  Not surprised with what a sideshow that everyone else was, he chose to talk to Five alone. Also, honestly I think the advice he gave Five to "start small" was good and no doubt will come into play at some point.

I feel that we are supposed to not like Carl or think he is a bad guy or be impatient with how utterly a man of his time he is, but I can't really.  On the one hand I do feel bad for Sissy that she can't live her truth. But otoh, she is cheating on her husband with a woman he was nice enough to bring into his home and treat pretty decently.    It would be one thing if he was an abuser or mean but he just seems like rather a corny salesman more than anything.

I am sooo bummed about Elliot.  I hate that he was collateral damage.

• Love 19

I like Ray so much, he is such a great character.  It was sad when Allison said there was still so much work to do in 2019.

Does anyone else think that Ray's friend Miles looks a little like a young John Lewis? Maybe that was intentional.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Go Team Zero!! But dang, Diego give the JFK thing a rest.

I keep thinking about the Stephen King novel where the guy keeps going back in time trying to save JFK, and there are some definite unintended consequences. 

• Love 3

This was our sad episode. Allison's fear at the beginning, a Black woman that couldn't speak dropped into Texas in the early 60s. It really got to me. Then you have Klaus and Dave, and Klaus realizing what he'd done. Then Diego's stutter and that none of them stood up for him. Elliot. It was all just heartbreaking.

Good thing I had that hottie Ray trying on nice suits to distract me. Also Klaus in a diaper but that was distracting in a not as good way, lol.

• Love 10

Go Team Zero! God even with this younger Reginald that hasn’t even adopted the kids yet, he can still lead to them reverting back to feeling like inadequate failures, poor Diego even for his stutter back for a second. Seriously, fuck that guy and fuck his stupid fucking monocle. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

It was not clear to me if by the end of the "light supper" Reginald believed that what they were telling him was true, but even if he didn't believe it at that point, surely he would have remembered what they said in the future when he adopted them. And if he did remember, that would mean he knew what their powers were from infancy (except for Ben), though he wouldn't have known how powerful Vanya was since all she did at the "light supper" was mess up a fruit plate. But then again, if this is a different timeline than the one the siblings grew up in, Reginald wouldn't remember meeting them. I am so confused (again)!

And what happened to the suggestion at the end of the first season that Reginald came from another planet after spreading some glowy things that may have had something to do with the immaculate pregnancies leading to the birth of the children with powers? So far the writers have been pretty good about following up dangling threads in later episodes, but I would have expected some followup on this intriguing idea by now in the second season.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, festivus said:

This was our sad episode. Allison's fear at the beginning, a Black woman that couldn't speak dropped into Texas in the early 60s. It really got to me. Then you have Klaus and Dave, and Klaus realizing what he'd done. Then Diego's stutter and that none of them stood up for him. Elliot. It was all just heartbreaking.

Good thing I had that hottie Ray trying on nice suits to distract me. Also Klaus in a diaper but that was distracting in a not as good way, lol.

• I've been waiting to see Allison's story and they did not disappoint. I literally felt every fear as a black women being dropped into that situation, then the graciousness when she was taken in. I loved how the portrayed that part of Black culture, the Church and Beauty shops/Barbershops were the "safe" places they could congregated and where community was found. 
  • Ray is fine, and he's really good man. I'm glad he didn't reject her after her confession. 
  • I ship Ben and Jill big time - will there be a Ghost pottery scene down the road?!. But what was the weird thing that happened when Ben was um,,,inside of, Klaus. lol.
  • Klaus' actions actually quickened Dave's enlistment was heartbreaking. His closeted uncle had to have suspected Dave was gay though to be so adamant about it.
  • I wish someone would have came to Diego's defense. That was so hurtful to watch. Unfortunately, this is very true to how adult siblings can still fall into the role they've always played. Another dynamic scene from the show.
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Paloma said:

It was not clear to me if by the end of the "light supper" Reginald believed that what they were telling him was true, but even if he didn't believe it at that point, surely he would have remembered what they said in the future when he adopted them. And if he did remember, that would mean he knew what their powers were from infancy (except for Ben), though he wouldn't have known how powerful Vanya was since all she did at the "light supper" was mess up a fruit plate. But then again, if this is a different timeline than the one the siblings grew up in, Reginald wouldn't remember meeting them. I am so confused (again)!

I wondered if they created some kind of time paradox. Reginald only adopted the kids because they went back in time & told him he did.

• Love 4

Well that went as expected. They were arguing about who would talk first and Reggie walked into the room and took charge as usual. And they turned right back into their child selves. 

I'm surprised that after seeing how calm Vanya is without her horrible childhood trauma the rest wouldn't ask Allison to make them forget. 

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I'm surprised that after seeing how calm Vanya is without her horrible childhood trauma the rest wouldn't ask Allison to make them forget.

That would probably be a bad idea considering the unintended and unfortunate side effects of Allison's previous uses of her power. I understand the temptation to forget childhood (or even adult) trauma, but it also raises the question of who someone would be without the memory of those experiences. Would something essential be missing from your personality? Even though trauma can have terrible effects, it contributes to your adult identity formation and can even have some positive effects (e.g., making your suffering mean something by helping others). Going beyond the episode, there has actually been a lot of controversy about this in the field of psychiatry over the last couple decades, as a memory-erasing" drug has been developed and used experimentally for PTSD--here is a link to a 2011 article that addresses the ethical issues, though research has advanced since then: https://www.livescience.com/15621-memory-altering-drugs-debate.html

• Love 3

That dinner went about as well as I imagined it would. All that planning to confront their dad and he immediately takes control and does what he does best, makes his kids feel like complete shit. So is he buying this or not? He seemed really flippant but his sidebar with Five made it seem like he might actually have believed them. Of course Reggie finds it unbelievable that he would adopt kids, because he hates kids. Yeah, we saw your parenting skills, we all buy that!

I kind of chuckled at Vanya using her powers and everyone else freaking out. "Last time you handled it you definitely blew up the moon." Not having her memories have really done wonders for her. And Allison making Diego punch himself in the face. 

That start with poor Allison getting chased by the creep squad was so intense, she must have been so freaked out. At least she found the awesome hair salon ladies, and then met Ray, who is just such a great guy. And yes, also very attractive, so there that too! I liked them exploring Allison's powers a bit as well, that it has something of an addictive quality to it, hence why she doesn't like to use it, even to advance the cause. Thats pretty much what they got into last season and why she wouldn't use her powers, how she went from using it for little things to using it on her daughter (and possibly caused her husband to fall in love with her) to make parenting a bit easier, so it was nice to get a reminder, especially with so many shitty racists around, and the audience is probably thinking "cant Allison just rumor these people?" Did she tell Ray about her daughter? Its kind of weird she hasn't mentioned her daughter yet all season, considering she is presumably dead in 2019 in the timeline they just left. 

This has kind of been bugging me for awhile now, but why wont Klaus let his siblings talk to Ben? Yeah they cant actually see or hear him, but he could tell them what Ben says. Its not like him being able to talk to ghosts is a secret or anything. Why wont he tell them that Ben is there, they even saw him when they all time traveled ans asked if he had come with them! I am sure Ben would love to be able to talk to them and they would love to get to talk to their dead brother. In general, I am not really feeling the cult stuff, it feels really cut off from the rest of the narrative right now, and it seems to be leanings super hard into the wacky. 

Poor Elliot. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 11
On 8/1/2020 at 9:34 PM, DearEvette said:

I feel that we are supposed to not like Carl or think he is a bad guy or be impatient with how utterly a man of his time he is, but I can't really.  On the one hand I do feel bad for Sissy that she can't live her truth. But otoh, she is cheating on her husband with a woman he was nice enough to bring into his home and treat pretty decently.    It would be one thing if he was an abuser or mean but he just seems like rather a corny salesman more than anything.

It's true that Sissy's behavior is wrong and that up until now Carl has seemed like a nice guy, but even seemingly nice guys can have the potential for violence. Based on his possessive and somewhat crude behavior toward Sissy when Vanya came back to the house, as well as the menacing look that he gave while watching Vanya and Sissy in the car, I believe that he has the potential for violence because his manhood feels threatened. And if he does do something violent, Sissy's cheating would not justify it morally (though in that time and place--and even now IRL--he probably would suffer few or no legal consequences).  

• Love 6

Continuity error, that is the Station Wagon that Vanya was driving when The Swedes attacked her. They make it seem like all that happened was she damaged the right side grill and headlight, when they clearly shot out the back window, which is there in that scene and the outside should be riddled with bullet holes, which no normal family would gloss over if somebody returned your car in that condition.

• Love 4

That torture scene was upsetting, though some of it was suggested rather than shown. As soon as they opened his mouth, I was reminded of the terrifying scene in Marathon Man (many posters here are probably too young to remember that movie)--it probably was an intentional callback, or maybe that's just a "common" torture method. In any case, it didn't seem like Elliot could have given them Diego's location. He might have known the address where they were meeting Reginald, but we didn't see the Swedes go there.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Chekhov's Dental Chair, if someone has a Dental Chair and Dental Equipment in their home, somebody is going to use it to torture someone by pulling out their teeth.

Too bad Elliot didn't have time to take a hit of nitrous oxide before they started on him.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Paloma said:

That torture scene was upsetting, though some of it was suggested rather than shown. As soon as they opened his mouth, I was reminded of the terrifying scene in Marathon Man (many posters here are probably too young to remember that movie)--

I know of that movie but I can't watch it. Nothing freaks me out more than teeth stuff. I put the blanket over my head during that scene.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, festivus said:

I know of that movie but I can't watch it. Nothing freaks me out more than teeth stuff. I put the blanket over my head during that scene.

Same here. I can watch different kinds of gore, but have to hide my eyes during dental torture or even the suggestion of it. I've been afraid of dentists since I was a child, and seeing that stuff does not help!

• Love 2
On 8/2/2020 at 11:54 AM, TexasGal said:

I keep thinking about the Stephen King novel where the guy keeps going back in time trying to save JFK, and there are some definite unintended consequences. 

Hubby and I had the exact same thought, it actually makes me want to reread the book

On 8/2/2020 at 8:08 PM, tennisgurl said:

Go Team Zero! God even with this younger Reginald that hasn’t even adopted the kids yet, he can still lead to them reverting back to feeling like inadequate failures, poor Diego even for his stutter back for a second. Seriously, fuck that guy and fuck his stupid fucking monocle. 

It's no wonder Five is an asshole with Reginald's example to follow. I wanted to hug poor Diego

On 8/2/2020 at 10:31 PM, shoetingstar said:
  • Klaus' actions actually quickened Dave's enlistment was heartbreaking. His closeted uncle had to have suspected Dave was gay though to be so adamant about it.
  • I wish someone would have came to Diego's defense. That was so hurtful to watch. Unfortunately, this is very true to how adult siblings can still fall into the role they've always played. Another dynamic scene from the show.

I nearly cried when Dave said he'd already enlisted.

Yeah nice of none of them to back up Diego even if they don't buy his theory. 

I was waiting for someone to call out Reginald for being such a rude ass but damn are they all conditioned from growing up with him. Props to Luther for finally standing up to him.

Why do I have a feeling Vanya is going to end up hurting Carl which will lose her Sissy in the long run, unless Carl hurts Sissy first

• Love 6
On 8/3/2020 at 1:16 PM, tennisgurl said:

This has kind of been bugging me for awhile now, but why wont Klaus let his siblings talk to Ben? Yeah they cant actually see or hear him, but he could tell them what Ben says. Its not like him being able to talk to ghosts is a secret or anything. Why wont he tell them that Ben is there, they even saw him when they all time traveled ans asked if he had come with them! I am sure Ben would love to be able to talk to them and they would love to get to talk to their dead brother. In general, I am not really feeling the cult stuff, it feels really cut off from the rest of the narrative right now, and it seems to be leanings super hard into the wacky. 

I’ve been saying the same thing about Ben. I don’t understand why his siblings don’t seem happier that he still exists in some form and that they don’t actively try to communicate with him through Klaus. Most of the time it seems like they don’t even remember that they have another sibling and that he is with them. I know in Season 1 it was a secret that he existed, but it seems like in Season 2 it should have changed things once they found out. 

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Angeleyes said:

I know in Season 1 it was a secret that he existed, but it seems like in Season 2 it should have changed things once they found out. 

Spoiler

Klaus told them that Ben didnt time travel, to Bens annoyance, so as far as the rest of the siblings know, Ben is still hanging around the ruined 2019 as a ghost.

I put in a spoiler just in case this was stated later, I watched this season pretty quickly, when certain things happened are a bit of a blur!

• Love 4
On 8/3/2020 at 2:16 PM, tennisgurl said:

This has kind of been bugging me for awhile now, but why wont Klaus let his siblings talk to Ben? Yeah they cant actually see or hear him, but he could tell them what Ben says. Its not like him being able to talk to ghosts is a secret or anything. Why wont he tell them that Ben is there, they even saw him when they all time traveled ans asked if he had come with them! I am sure Ben would love to be able to talk to them and they would love to get to talk to their dead brother.

Why can't Ben just pick Klaus up (or toss him around) like he did in front of his followers whenever Klaus denies that Ben is there? That would reveal the presence of some ghost!  What am I missing?

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Why can't Ben just pick Klaus up (or toss him around) like he did in front of his followers whenever Klaus denies that Ben is there? That would reveal the presence of some ghost!  What am I missing?

Maybe because he know his siblings have such a low opinion of Klaus and/or are too self involved to notice. He literally jumped into Klaus and said “I’m Ben” and got no reaction. Even though Klaus talks about possession in the elevator right after. 

44 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Because the writers either did not think of it or were hoping noone else would think about it.

• Love 4
On 8/5/2020 at 4:37 AM, tennisgurl said:
  Reveal spoiler

Klaus told them that Ben didnt time travel, to Bens annoyance, so as far as the rest of the siblings know, Ben is still hanging around the ruined 2019 as a ghost.

I put in a spoiler just in case this was stated later, I watched this season pretty quickly, when certain things happened are a bit of a blur!

Surely Five saw Ben on the rooftop in the first episode of this season, though. He seemed to take note of each of the siblings battling the Russians and we got several seconds of Ben using his demon tentacle powers which I assumed was us watching from 5's pov.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, AllyB said:

Surely Five saw Ben on the rooftop in the first episode of this season, though. He seemed to take note of each of the siblings battling the Russians and we got several seconds of Ben using his demon tentacle powers which I assumed was us watching from 5's pov.

I thought the same thing but I figured Five just doesn't care to call Klaus on his lie, it's not worth it to him bc he doesn't understand the implications of what Ben could possible do to help them.

• Love 2

11/22/63 is the name of the book, which apparently Diego and his siblings have not read. It doesn't seem to occur to any of them that maybe preventing JKF's assassination is what causes the nuclear apocalypse.

Why can't Ben just pick Klaus up (or toss him around) like he did in front of his followers whenever Klaus denies that Ben is there?

I think Klaus has to actively do something before Ben can manifest corporeally. Ben wasn't able to touch anything or move anything until Klaus got sober and his powers advanced. See late episodes of Season One where Klaus bunches his fists (kind of like Five when he's trying to jump) and suddenly there's this glowy light that enables Ben to be visible or touch things.

Allison making Diego punch himself was everything.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

11/22/63 is the name of the book, which apparently Diego and his siblings have not read. It doesn't seem to occur to any of them that maybe preventing JKF's assassination is what causes the nuclear apocalypse.

My one problem with this plot point is that you don't go from everyday "cold war" relations to Soviets troops taking over Dallas in a few days.  There doesn't seem to be any indication that relations with Russia in the UF 1963 is any different than it was in historical 1963.  So while I could sort of buy into a nuclear war in a week, I just can't buy into an actual Soviet invasion.  Again - in Texas.  A coastal city, maaaaybe.  But unless the Russians are coming up through Mexico, this makes no sense, in any timeline.

That just keeps on nagging at me.  I'm hoping there's an explanation and they don't leave that thread hanging. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think Klaus has to actively do something before Ben can manifest corporeally. Ben wasn't able to touch anything or move anything until Klaus got sober and his powers advanced. See late episodes of Season One where Klaus bunches his fists (kind of like Five when he's trying to jump) and suddenly there's this glowy light that enables Ben to be visible or touch things.

Ben has been able to touch things without Klaus doing anything. Like in the first season when was able to slap the pills out of Klaus’ mouth and he saved Diego when Vanya was destroying the house. 

14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

11.22.63 was also adapted by Hulu as a mini series starring James Franco.

I think 5 has said a few times that Diego's attempts to save Kennedy are very likely what causes the apocalypse. And they all worked out that with the exception of Vanya they are all involved in some way with Kennedy's visit/assassination. Vanya said that as a nanny on a farm she's the only one who isn't involved. (So obviously it's something she's doing that will bring about the end of the world.)

• Love 3
On 8/5/2020 at 7:41 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Why can't Ben just pick Klaus up (or toss him around) like he did in front of his followers whenever Klaus denies that Ben is there?

The characters' abilities are very inconsistent and seem to be dictated by what the plot needs. In episode 1, Allison had the ability to literally make heads explode .. and was speaking English to Russian soldiers. And Klaus doesn't appear to see any other ghosts besides Ben this season. Why?
Allison could help Vanya regain her memories - but I guess TPTB don't want that to happen.  

On 8/6/2020 at 2:21 PM, chaifan said:

So while I could sort of buy into a nuclear war in a week, I just can't buy into an actual Soviet invasion.  Again - in Texas.  A coastal city, maaaaybe.  But unless the Russians are coming up through Mexico, this makes no sense, in any timeline.

I think the show doesn't want to be limited by logical realities .. it seems to try to be "off the rails" and somewhat grounded at the same time. At one moment we have sympathy for Allison and the restaurant protesters ( and Vanya+Sissy, and Klaus+Dave ) - - and later we are 'amused' at the Swedes putting a woman's head in a freezer  - - and then, the wacky, campy 'fun' of The Handler killing Lila's parents and raising her as a child soldier assassin. We even get a somber moment when the Swedes mourn their dead brother. And there are bodies with fish-bowl heads.. 
It's a bit jarring.. 

On 8/1/2020 at 9:34 PM, DearEvette said:

I am sooo bummed about Elliot.  I hate that he was collateral damage.

I am braced for the likely possibility that most of the supporting characters will end up being collateral damage (Ray, Dave, Sissy, etc.).
The Umbrella Academy tends to leave a lot of damage in their wake. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1

Yikes, that turned dark. Poor Elliot.

Diego needs a hug. Several hugs.

And while I am very angry with Klaus in general this season for his treatment of Ben, I thought his siblings' reactions to his possession were pretty terrible. And also Luther dragging him by one leg out of the elevator when he could have easily picked him up.

The Handler describing Five as "the one with the cute socks" made me LOL.

Robert Sheehan is certainly... flexible!

And watching David Castañeda completely lose it in the elevator fart scene but try to act like he wasn't laughing was pretty hilarious.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I didn't notice this. I must rewatch!

I only knew because of one of the cast interview videos... I think it was the EW one that was posted on the media thread, and which seemed to have been released earlier than it should have been (it was before the season dropped, and while there weren't major spoilers, there were a lot of references to various scenes and plot points that obviously no one had seen yet). Anyway, they mentioned David not being able to get through the elevator scene without laughing, so as soon as they got on the elevator, I just kept my eyes on him... he has this very un-Diego-like smile on his face a few seconds before the "fart," and then basically keeps his head down for the whole rest of the scene like he's barely keeping it together.

On 8/5/2020 at 7:41 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

On 8/7/2020 at 1:13 AM, Dani said:

Ben has been able to touch things without Klaus doing anything. Like in the first season when was able to slap the pills out of Klaus’ mouth and he saved Diego when Vanya was destroying the house. 

I get the sense that Ben manifesting physically takes a joint effort on Klaus's and Ben's parts. Certainly they were both motivated (and under extreme duress) in the saving Diego and taking out the Commission mooks scenes, and I would argue that Klaus subconsciously wanted Ben to knock the drugs out of his mouth, too. 

But then there's the scene where Ben "haunts" the jail to get Ray out... clearly Klaus's idea, but did he have to give Ben the "power" to do that? Otherwise, I question why Ben doesn't just pick up a pen or whatever and write some messages to his siblings. 

I am beginning to think that Klaus doesn't want to reveal Ben's presence because then he'll be even lower down on the sibling totem pole, and maybe all the siblings will want him for is to talk to Ben. (I do wonder about Ben's popularity among the siblings/ who he was closest to when he was alive?) Klaus is still a dick, and really needs to look at things from Ben's perspective, but I can kind of see his point. Everyone treats him like an enormous joke, but I think he prefers that to only being valued as Ben's conduit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I am beginning to think that Klaus doesn't want to reveal Ben's presence because then he'll be even lower down on the sibling totem pole, and maybe all the siblings will want him for is to talk to Ben. (I do wonder about Ben's popularity among the siblings/ who he was closest to when he was alive?) Klaus is still a dick, and really needs to look at things from Ben's perspective, but I can kind of see his point. Everyone treats him like an enormous joke, but I think he prefers that to only being valued as Ben's conduit.

Never thought of that, but it makes sense (though I think there is more to it.)

Aww, my poor Diego. 💔. Fuck You, Papa Hargreeves. 

The Elevator scene was great, I went to YouTube to watch it and @dargosmydaddy is totally right, Castañeda broke character from start to finish. Even with his head down you can see him smiling.

I continue to love Diego/Grace (AKA Mom). That was my favorite aspect of S1 Diego, how much he loved his mom. I'm now afraid that Diego causes Grace's death (which leads Reggie to eventually make Robot Mom in Graves image).  We've already seen how Klaus trying to save Dave lead to him joining early. Although, that could actually change his fate so that he's not on the hill when he died in the other timeline.

I'm also really loving the Diego/Luther scenes. I need more of these two being friends/brothers instead of frieniemies.

Ray/Yusuf is just so fine. That scene where he asked Allison to dinner he was just yummy.  I'm glad they talked it out. I'm guessing there's not much future for them, I expect they'll end up in another time or timeline next season. However, I actually really like Allison/Ray together.

Tom Hopper is hilarious as Luther this season. I've only ever seen him in serious roles (Black Sails, GoT), i had no idea he could play funny but, he's got some good Comedic Chops.

ETA: The Handler's clothing is amazing, her dress in the last scene was to die for

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
On 8/1/2020 at 5:39 PM, saoirse said:

Allison showing Ray her power was clearly needed, and they had fun, but it was good that he saw the power of it and how it could potentially consume her. For Allison, it feels like her power can be an addiction in the same way alcohol or drugs are to people. She didn't use it for a couple of years, and especially with the loss of her voice for awhile, getting it back was a rush.

The meeting with Dad - well, I've been waiting for Allison to rumor Diego (that was so awesome!), but it was sad how quickly Hargreeves reduced Diego to a stuttering boy. Good on Luther for standing up to him, and Ben's attempt to be heard was a bit futile, although it resulted in Luther dragging Klaus by the foot from the elevator, so that was fun!

RIP, Elliott. You will be missed.

I loved the entire sequence with the rumoring. Really, it would be so freeing to let loose on those assholes, but the appeal is a little too great. And you think about how addictive and tempting it would be to use it. Skip the line. End the fight with your spouse. Vanya may have a world ending power, but Allisons is incredibly dangerous and destructive and it would absolutely warp the one with the power really easily 

On 8/1/2020 at 8:34 PM, DearEvette said:

Shallow alert:  Ray is one really fine looking man.

I could have watched him montage suits all night. Drool. 

On 8/2/2020 at 10:31 PM, shoetingstar said:
  •  
  • Ray is fine, and he's really good man. I'm glad he didn't reject her after her confession. . . .

I loved the incredible relationship and how great of a man Ray was. Loving and supportive. The trust they clearly had and his affection for Allison were really great to watch. Like Sissy and Vanya, it was the domestic slow burn that made the scenes worth watching. 

I called it but it still broke me. The desperation in Klaus's voice. 😭 There was so much from those few scenes. The fact that they had a relationship that involved sharing so much. The way Klaus clutched those dog tags. Guys, they have to save Dave. Seriously. I need this. 

On 8/3/2020 at 6:33 PM, AnimeMania said:

Chekhov's Dental Chair, if someone has a Dental Chair and Dental Equipment in their home, somebody is going to use it to torture someone by pulling out their teeth.

This is why I keep my antique dental furniture and equipment in the storage unit.

On 8/6/2020 at 1:21 PM, chaifan said:

My one problem with this plot point is that you don't go from everyday "cold war" relations to Soviets troops taking over Dallas in a few days.  There doesn't seem to be any indication that relations with Russia in the UF 1963 is any different than it was in historical 1963.  So while I could sort of buy into a nuclear war in a week, I just can't buy into an actual Soviet invasion.  Again - in Texas.  A coastal city, maaaaybe.  But unless the Russians are coming up through Mexico, this makes no sense, in any timeline.

That just keeps on nagging at me.  I'm hoping there's an explanation and they don't leave that thread hanging. 

Pure speculation:

Spoiler

I think that level of attack would require something major. Say, the discovery that the US had some sort of super weapon in the city. Say, genetically modified supersoldiers? 

• Love 3
On 8/6/2020 at 6:28 AM, CailynA said:

I thought the same thing but I figured Five just doesn't care to call Klaus on his lie, it's not worth it to him bc he doesn't understand the implications of what Ben could possible do to help them.

Since Five knows they all "landed" in Dallas at slightly different times, I figured he didn't think Klaus was lying, but rather Klaus just didn't know what he was talking about and maybe Ben wasn't there yet. That would explain Five having seen indications of Ben's presence on the new doomsday, but not thinking/suggesting Klaus was lying that Ben isn't there right now.

I mean, up until the possession moment.

So Allison randomly running into the black part of Dallas was lucky, but I did like the women at the salon facing down those three white, would-be rapists (and possibly murderers, given that Allison had the gall to hit one of them). That's one unintended aspect of racial segregation that didn't work in favour of white people - there were places that white people couldn't go as well.

Ray's healthy scepticism but willingness to believe was nice. He didn't call her crazy or get angry because he didn't understand, he asked for proof. But she also unintentionally showed him why she can't use her powers so freely.

The comic timing of the entire cast is fantastic. And the comic beats in the script are perfect. Going from Luther, Diego and Vanya being a united front to Ben and Klaus bickering and refusing to listen to each other.

The fart joke was so silly, and it looks like they didn't get a clean take, because Daniel Castaneda is quietly laughing in the background while everyone else is reacting to the smell.

I liked that, even when Klaus tries to confess he's a fraud, he can't get his cultists to stop believing. That's the reality of it, I fear. People who buy into a cult aren't going to wake up just because the guy who sold it to them admits the lie.

I still like Lila a lot, even if she is likely to end up siding with her mother. 

Reginald just effortlessly triggers all his kids, brings out the worst in them. Even when he doesn't know who they are, or how they were raised, he knows exactly how to make them feel like children. I love that Vanya was the only one unaffected, because she can't remember anything about their childhood.

Bit gutted that Elliot was killed. Poor guy did nothing to deserve that.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

That's one unintended aspect of racial segregation that didn't work in favour of white people - there were places that white people couldn't go as well.

It wasn't so much that whites couldn't go to the black part of town as that they usually didn't want to go there. But in a situation like the one shown with Allison, especially in the South, the outnumbered white guys could come back with an armed mob to get revenge. 

• Love 4