Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: Duggars in Quarantine

• Start Topic

I think I'm the only one that feels this way but I give Josie a pass on the painting.  

Jana started with "there is no right or wrong" then ends up sending Josie away because Josie didn't paint what Jana wanted her to.  Who cares ifJosie sat there & painted her own thing? I know it got messy but Jana should have just squeezed out a few dots of paint for her to work with. Why didn't Jana just take away the blue painted picture to dry and get her a new piece of paper to start over?  Jana could have explained that this type of paint is different  & given her some pointers of what to paint. Josie's picture started out similar to the other sister who started painting the gray background.  Maybe Josie was copying her & then got carried away?  But to be reprimanded and made to leave in front her sisters was uncalled for. 

My father was definitely the artistic one in the family & my mom's painting (even as an adult) would have turned out like Josie's if she was painting along with the grands.  Some people just don't have the creative artsy touch.  

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I think I'm the only one that feels this way but I give Josie a pass on the painting.  

Jana started with "there is no right or wrong" then ends up sending Josie away because Josie didn't paint what Jana wanted her to.  Who cares ifJosie sat there & painted her own thing? I know it got messy but Jana should have just squeezed out a few dots of paint for her to work with. Why didn't Jana just take away the blue painted picture to dry and get her a new piece of paper to start over?  Jana could have explained that this type of paint is different  & given her some pointers of what to paint. Josie's picture started out similar to the other sister who started painting the gray background.  Maybe Josie was copying her & then got carried away?  But to be reprimanded and made to leave in front her sisters was uncalled for. 

My father was definitely the artistic one in the family & my mom's painting (even as an adult) would have turned out like Josie's if she was painting along with the grands.  Some people just don't have the creative artsy touch.  

I did until the point where Josie has a very large amount of paint on a plate, after her paper was covered in blue. 

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Jessa didn't seem to make much sense. She said AR wasn't under a stay at home, yet the Seewalds were staying home and actually teaching the Duggar littles remotely. Jessa also said Jinger was under a stay at home order, so she couldn't go anywhere. Was CA's lock down different than most states? It seemed to me grocery stores, pharmacies, corner stores, package stores and big box stores continued to operate, from day one, in all states, so how was Jinger's situation different then Jessa's?

I wonder how close to filming did we start to see the Duggars socializing (and filming J & J) as they pleased. Jessa said at one point they were two weeks into the pandemic and then at another time she said one month. So they must have filmed themselves throughout the month of April.

I watched Outdaughtered last week and it was interesting, in comparison, the Duggars at least had more understanding and empathy for others than Danielle did. 

I fell asleep during the J & J going to LA portion.

We were never under a formal stay at home order, though people were urged to do so between mid March and early may and multiple industries/sectors were shut down. So, in that sense California was stricter by virtue of having an order, but Arkansas was closing lots of the same businesses and requiring many of the same restrictions for those that stayed open that other states were. And incidentally we were doing okay at containing the virus until we reopened in early May, a decision I will still never understand. Things didn't turn into a hotspot here until late May/early June-ish.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Jessa also said Jinger was under a stay at home order, so she couldn't go anywhere. Was CA's lock down different than most states? It seemed to me grocery stores, pharmacies, corner stores, package stores and big box stores continued to operate, from day one, in all states, so how was Jinger's situation different then Jessa's?

California's rules were basically the same as everybody else's who had them.

So it makes me wonder what the Seewalds et al were actually doing when they pretended to be staying at home.....Or whether they were only staying at home to appear relatable to the nation for the show (the be-all and end-all of Jessa's life, for ever and ever, amen...) 

Or maybe the Vs were so used to getting their free coffee at coffee shops and free meals at every restaurant in the LA area that limiting access to those opportunities hit them the way closing all the supermarkets would have hit the rest of us....😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
(edited)

I agree that I didn’t think Josie seemed delayed in the art class. She had a vision for what she wanted her painting to look like, she described it more than once. She  just wasn’t interested in painting a delicate still life like Jana wanted, she wanted richer colors and to paint something abstract. She said straight up that she knew how to use the watercolors and dilute the paint, but that she wanted darker/richer blue lines on her painting (which I think is why she wasn’t diluting the blue and was using so much — to get the color/darkness she wanted).

I thought she was more willful than the other girls, but in my mind that’s not actually a bad thing. I think Josie demanding to be true to her “artistic vision” even when everyone questioned her, she got in trouble, and she eventually got kicked out of class was actually healthier and more age-appropriate than Jenny (?) doing an OK job faithfully painting the flowers and then saying sadly how crummy her painting was.

Maybe Josie does have delays, I don’t know. But to me she just seemed a little fiercer (angrier?) than her sisters and I think that’s a good thing, given the circumstances they’re in.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 23
11 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I agree that I didn’t think Josie seemed delayed in the art class. She had a vision for what she wanted her painting to look like, she described it more than once. She  just wasn’t interested in painting a delicate still life like Jana wanted, she wanted richer colors and to paint something abstract. She said straight up that she knew how to use the watercolors and dilute the paint, but that she wanted darker/richer blue lines on her painting (which I think is why she wasn’t diluting the blue and was using so much — to get the color/darkness she wanted).

I thought she was more willful than the other girls, but in my mind that’s not actually a bad thing. I think Josie demanding to be true to her “artistic vision” even when everyone questioned her, she got in trouble, and she eventually got kicked out of class was actually healthier and more age-appropriate than Jenny (?) doing an OK job faithfully painting the flowers and then saying sadly how crummy her painting was.

Maybe Josie does have delays, I don’t know. But to me she just seemed a little fiercer (angrier?) than her sisters and I think that’s a good thing, given the circumstances they’re in.

Maybe it was more about the paint. Adult/professional watercolor paint is expensive. And really a little dab goes a long way. Josie squeezed out what looked like almost a full tube of paint. And she squeezed that out after her paper was covered. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I am going to change the way I was looking at this.  As I watched I wondered if she is just a little spitfire who does things her own way rather than a being bit delayed.  Jana wasn't pleased because it wasn't nice and pretty like the other quieter girls.  Perhaps Josie has a different idea about art?  Really in art there is no right or wrong.  I heard her say she was laying it on thick because she wanted ridges.  Then I flashed to a scene where Josie and others were playing outside maybe around trees (my memory of the background is hazy) and she did what looked like joking around with a stabbing motion and a silly face.  I saw that as a funny and perhaps zany sense of humor.  I can see 'different' wouldn't be tolerated.  Maybe she is the Picasso to their Thomas Kincade?  I didn't really like her being told to leave and being reprimanded, about art.  A personal thing.  Maybe in Josie's head she is thinking fuck this, I want to go play the drums or something.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
(edited)

My son and his family live in the Bay Area.  The only thing I can tell you is that the stores have much stricter occupancy limits than they do in Nevada.  I have never had to wait to get into the grocery store, or Target.  I saw a line at Home Depot on a Saturday back in May, but I just turned around and left.  However, my son says every time they need groceries he has to wait in line to get into the store.

LA county has been hit pretty hard.  I guess there were a lot more closures than there were in Arkansas, and that the Arkansas Duggars were horrified by the "lack of freedom".

Edited by 3 is enough
I was referring to the Arkansas Duggars, not the whole state.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, sATL said:

Sad to say - I would think part of their "test" would be if she would be able to be the perfect wife and mother (emphasis on mother) like her big sisters. Granted She might not be able to be an astrophysicist at NASA, but if she could snag a hubby and have babies... 

Priscilla Waller 2.0

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

My son and his family live in the Bay Area.  The only thing I can tell you is that the stores have much stricter occupancy limits than they do in Nevada.  I have never had to wait to get into the grocery store, or Target.  I saw a line at Home Depot on a Saturday back in May, but I just turned around and left.  However, my son says every time they need groceries he has to wait in line to get into the store.

LA county has been hit pretty hard.  I guess there were a lot more closures than there were in Arkansas, and that the Arkansas bunch was horrified by the "lack of freedom".

Not really sure it is fair to just assume people in Arkansas were any more assholish about it than anywhere else. As is true of most places, some people have been good about following the rules and others haven't. It's not a cultural monolith. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 13

You know who I see defying the mask order the most? SENIORS! I have to walk by my MIL's senior living facility and see many seniors out and about with their little walkers...and NO MASKS! 

Back to the episode, I hated Ben's Grizzly Adams look, so I was glad to see the beard go. However, it's not worthy of a five minute segment. Goes to show how little these people are willing to share of their real lives. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Maybe it was more about the paint. Adult/professional watercolor paint is expensive. And really a little dab goes a long way. Josie squeezed out what looked like almost a full tube of paint. And she squeezed that out after her paper was covered. 

I prefer to think the girl has a bit more sass than the others. I only find it sad if she does, they will squash it. Or maybe not? 

• Love 3
Just now, libgirl2 said:

I prefer to think the girl has a bit more sass than the others. I only find it sad if she does, they will squash it. Or maybe not? 

Sass would be great, an entitled brat not so much. Hard to really know though.

• Love 13
Just now, GeeGolly said:

Sass would be great, an entitled brat not so much. Hard to really know though.

True, but maybe an entitled brat could also escape this kind of life. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Jim Bob and Michelle have been part of the cast for a long while. It started with the weddings. They had to be at the weddings and these are the biggest moments for the kids and the show.  It started with Jinger's wedding (first wedding after Josh left). There's a reason JB and Michelle used to or still prominently display a photo from her wedding where they are both kissing her. By the time JD got married (last married as of now) Michelle was doing long voiceovers and they were both there. 

As for Josie, a few years ago she had went to eat something (not finger food) and she went to eat it with her hands. Someone had to tell her eat with a knife and fork. It's hard to say if she has delays or if it's just what she's used to.

Jessa was the fiercest of her sisters and now she's playing nice in the cult. 

I'm not really comfortable with parents sharing their kids' pottytraining either on television or the internet. Both of Jessa's son should be old enough to use the bathroom by now, hopefully only the youngest is in diapers. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 8

Of the Duggar 19, Josh and Jessa were the most outspokenly defiant kids, Josiah was loud and funny, Jill was outspokenly obedient, Jana and Jinger were quietly questioning, JD a quiet goofball, Joy for a time most closely resembled a typical kid and the rest kind of blended into the background. 

I think its hard to predict which kid, if any, will truly break away, but the outspoken obedient one has come the closest thus far.

• Love 14
(edited)
16 hours ago, Temperance said:

Jim Bob and Michelle have been part of the cast for a long while. It started with the weddings. They had to be at the weddings and these are the biggest moments for the kids and the show.  It started with Jinger's wedding (first wedding after Josh left). There's a reason JB and Michelle used to or still prominently display a photo from her wedding where they are both kissing her. By the time JD got married (last married as of now) Michelle was doing long voiceovers and they were both there. 

As for Josie, a few years ago she had went to eat something (not finger food) and she went to eat it with her hands. Someone had to tell her eat with a knife and fork. It's hard to say if she has delays or if it's just what she's used to.

Jessa was the fiercest of her sisters and now she's playing nice in the cult. 

I'm not really comfortable with parents sharing their kids' pottytraining either on television or the internet. Both of Jessa's son should be old enough to use the bathroom by now, hopefully only the youngest is in diapers. 

well, next week the the show that follows the Duggars will have their season finale , where the previews had six little training potties for 2 yr olds to attempt to use...

Edited by sATL
(edited)
4 hours ago, Zella said:

Not really sure it is fair to just assume people in Arkansas were any more assholish about it than anywhere else. As is true of most places, some people have been good about following the rules and others haven't. It's not a cultural monolith. 

My apologies, when I said "Arkansas bunch" I was referring to the Arkansas Duggars, not the whole state.  I fixed it.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 6

I honestly didn’t see the big deal in Jana kicking Josie out of her class. Jana said it was an art lesson, and she was showing the kids how to work with watercolors. Josie wasn’t listening, doing her own thing, and not caring to learn how to use those particular paints. I don’t think it was about her art, it was that Josie was defiant and insistent on being so, during the lesson. I imagine it’s par for the course for baby of the family Josie, and I imagine Jana has to put up with it a lot. So, if Jana was taking time out of her day to teach kids who are not hers, and Josie doesn’t wanna listen, then Josie can take her lil self on out of there. Good for Jana. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I missed a few portions. Where were they coming from in the part where two of the single boys announced that they were not engaged or pregnant? I was shocked he used the word pregnant.  Think it was Jedidiah and Jeremiah....? It looked like there were there with the family remotely. 

Jed! said he wasn't engaged and Jer said he wasn't pregnant.

Spoiler

It's rumored that Jeremiah is courting and trying to bury the lead, but there's nothing official yet. 

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Jed! said he wasn't engaged and Jer said he wasn't pregnant.

Hide contents

It's rumored that Jeremiah is courting and trying to bury the lead, but there's nothing official yet. 

Right. I wondered where they were. I think someone posted that they were in a trailer or a bus.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

My apologies, when I said "Arkansas bunch" I was referring to the Arkansas Duggars, not the whole state.  I fixed it.

No worries--I agree completely on that count! 🙂

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, zenme said:

I honestly didn’t see the big deal in Jana kicking Josie out of her class. Jana said it was an art lesson, and she was showing the kids how to work with watercolors. Josie wasn’t listening, doing her own thing, and not caring to learn how to use those particular paints. I don’t think it was about her art, it was that Josie was defiant and insistent on being so, during the lesson. I imagine it’s par for the course for baby of the family Josie, and I imagine Jana has to put up with it a lot. So, if Jana was taking time out of her day to teach kids who are not hers, and Josie doesn’t wanna listen, then Josie can take her lil self on out of there. Good for Jana. 

I completely agree. What Josie was doing was practically finger painting and Jana was trying to teach the girls how to create a painting with watercolors. 

• Love 11
49 minutes ago, zenme said:

The amount of discussion indicates that this moment in time should never have been broadcast.  Now the youngest child has been given an unfair label.  No one, ever, should be judged by a snapshot, especially a minor child.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

The amount of discussion indicates that this moment in time should never have been broadcast.  Now the youngest child has been given an unfair label.  No one, ever, should be judged by a snapshot, especially a minor child.

I don’t think she’s delayed. I think she’s a brat that at ten years old should be better able to take direction in a lesson setting. We judge this entire family for what they allow us to see, which at one time included Josie licking well, everything.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I don’t think she’s delayed. I think she’s a brat that at ten years old should be better able to take direction in a lesson setting. We judge this entire family for what they allow us to see, which at one time included Josie licking well, everything.

I never mentioned any delay.  THE reason I continue to post here is to continue to point out the exploitation of minors for financial gain.

Children in reality shows are the most exploited.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
42 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

I never mentioned any delay.  THE reason I continue to post here is to continue to point out the exploitation of minors for financial gain.

Yeah, I have issues with otherwise everyday people posting their child being potty-trained for the whole world to see, for numerous reasons, but Josie--regardless of whether or not she has developmental issues--has years' worth of footage of her licking everything in her path, among other behavior, that has not just been shared with family and friends but also with complete strangers. I know the likelihood she will ever have a job or leave the cult is minuscule, but there's no way to take that back. It's out there for the whole world to see on the internet, and no matter what she decides to do as an adult, she's always going to have that hanging over her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Ratings for "Quarantine" are in and 1.10 M viewers and a .22 rating.  It was the 17th cable show of the day.

Ratings for LA LA Land: 1.11 M viewers and a .21 rating.  It was the 23rd cable show of the day.

• Useful 5
11 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

10 hours ago, Zella said:

Yeah, I have issues with otherwise everyday people posting their child being potty-trained for the whole world to see, for numerous reasons, but Josie--regardless of whether or not she has developmental issues--has years' worth of footage of her licking everything in her path, among other behavior, that has not just been shared with family and friends but also with complete strangers. I know the likelihood she will ever have a job or leave the cult is minuscule, but there's no way to take that back. It's out there for the whole world to see on the internet, and no matter what she decides to do as an adult, she's always going to have that hanging over her. 

I agree.  There are moms in my town whose social media accounts are not unlike what we see on 19 Kids and Counting On.  They are totally exploiting their kids for likes and social media popularity, while raising little brats who are never told no and think every obnoxious thing they do is adorable.  It infuriates me.  Those kids don't stand a chance.

In some ways I wonder if Jana resents Josie because she has so much more 'freedom' than any of the older children did when they were growing up or even in the present.

• Love 11
51 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

In some ways I wonder if Jana resents Josie because she has so much more 'freedom' than any of the older children did when they were growing up or even in the present.

I can definitely see that. Wasn't it Jana who got stuck being Josie's buddy because Joy was too young to handle a preemie? 

• Love 15

I wonder if Jana had a potential suitor around the time Josie was born/very young and Jim Bob quashed it because they needed Jana to care for her?  I seem to remember some the sisters talking about "there was a guy..."

I don't remember exactly when this happened, but Jana was 20 when Josie was born so it is within the realm of possibility.  

That would definitely account for some lingering resentment.

• Useful 7
  • Love 2

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some resentment there. My older brother and I have a really good relationship, but he's admitted to me that when we were kids, he resented the fact that, as the baby of the family, I got some passes that he didn't. To this day, I'll always say something about being the youngest is the best and he just sort of grudgingly agrees that yes it must be. 

But I think with the Duggars that natural tension is amplified times 1,000.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, RedDelicious said:

I agree.  There are moms in my town whose social media accounts are not unlike what we see on 19 Kids and Counting On.  They are totally exploiting their kids for likes and social media popularity, while raising little brats who are never told no and think every obnoxious thing they do is adorable.  It infuriates me.  Those kids don't stand a chance.

BUT - most other parents aren’t sharing their posts with literally millions of complete strangers. HUGE difference.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Zella said:

Yea that attitude was everywhere. I'm in Iowa and while we didn't get a 'stay at home' order, everything was shut down just like everywhere else in the country and our governor was on tv every day telling people to stay home but she wouldn't make it a 'rule'. And people were being assholes on both sides about it. 

• Love 2

The painting scene was the only time they have shown Josie wearing glasses. All other scenes with Josie showed her glasses-free. Either she just recently got glasses (since nothing on this show is filmed in any actual real-life order) or they have her take them off for her talking heads. 
I guess they want her to look like their “perfect miracle child”.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

BUT - most other parents aren’t sharing their posts with literally millions of complete strangers. HUGE difference.

I mean, the one mom in particular is in an MLM and she has a public account with about 4,000 followers.  There may be a difference in size of audience but she's still a jerk.  And don't get me started on the naked "my children are wild things" posts.  She practically advertises that her yard is a nature preserve of naked children.  And her kids aren't babies.  It's SO unbelievably wrong.

At least the Duggar children are always clothed, even though we know that clothing doesn't protect them 😞 

ETA: I really shouldn't snark.  I hate what JB and M do and have done.  They are horrible, horrible people.  

Edited by RedDelicious

My sister is the youngest of five, and my stepmother’s only biological daughter. My sister is spoiled beyond belief! I’m second in the line-up, and there is no comparison between our upbringings. I am sure all of my brothers resent her. That’s just a family of five. I imagine there are all sorts of feelings in the Duggar family. Selfishly I wish we more of a glimpse of it.

• Love 6

Jana, Jill, Joy and Jenny all wear glasses in addition to Jose. I think some are farsighted and need glasses for close-up work like reading and writing and wouldn't be need them at all times. But none of them wear them with any constancy, although the older girls may have contacts. Joy may be nearsighted because she seems to wear them when driving.

• Useful 3
8 hours ago, Absolom said:

Ratings for "Quarantine" are in and 1.10 M viewers and a .22 rating.  It was the 17th cable show of the day.

Ratings for LA LA Land: 1.11 M viewers and a .21 rating.  It was the 23rd cable show of the day.

Aw, shiiit

• LOL 4
(edited)

Could someone give a synopsis of Gracie's gender reveal? I've watched it a few times but still don't get it.  They started with everyone choosing a pink or blue boarding pass. Then they ended up doing something with numbers on the sides or wings of the plane with just a few people left.   Abbie & JD got involved somewhere along the line with shooting off those stupid confetti (?) bomb things with pink confetti in them. Help!!

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Could someone give a synopsis of Gracie's gender reveal? I've watched it a few times but still don't get it.  They started with everyone choosing a pink or blue boarding pass. Then they ended up doing something with numbers on the sides or wings of the plane with just a few people left.   Abbie & JD got involved somewhere along the line with shooting off those stupid confetti (?) bomb things with pink confetti in them. Help!!

I never understood the point of these long, convoluted gender reveals. They are up there with promposals in ridiculousness in my book. Keep it short and sweet. Nobody wants to stand around for ten minutes while you open packages, go on a scavenger hunt, and pop balloons. We just want to congratulate you, hang with friends, and eat and drink.

As for a synopsis, I have no idea.

Edited by AnnaBaptist
  • Love 18
(edited)
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

I need to watch it again myself. I thought it was alot of math involved for JD.

my 2 cents : the plane had numbers pre-painted on the left and right side, and bottom

the guest picked tickets - either blue or pink, with pre printed number. with each pass of the plane, some guest would be eliminated b/c of their number. 

There were 2 remaining tickets that matched on the second-to-last fly-by, one blue and one pink.

On the last fly by - the final nbr was revealed  - that matched the pink ticket winner.

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, sATL said:

my 2 cents : the plane had numbers pre-painted on the left and right side, and bottom

the guest picked tickets - either blue or pink, with pre printed number. with each pass of the plan, some guest would be eliminated b/c of their number. 

There were 2 remaining tickets that matched on the second-to-last fly-by, one blue and one pink.

On the last fly by - the final nbr was revealed  - that matched the pink ticket winner.

What a waste of gas.

• LOL 2
  • Love 20
27 minutes ago, sATL said:

the guest picked tickets - either blue or pink, with pre printed number. with each pass of the plan, some guest would be eliminated b/c of their number. 

& the confetti filled things were a waste because the ticket number holder had the pink ticket.  Am I missing something?? I honestly had to rewatch that scene to figure it out. 

• LOL 5