Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

S01.E08: Find a Way

Recommended Posts

SEASON FINALE!

Quote

The jury reaches a verdict which triggers a series of explosive events.

Original air date: 4/22/20

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Share this post


Link to post

That was one hot mess of a finale. Did Hulu do it so there'd be story threads in case the show gets renewed? Big Little Lies and The Handmaid's Tale were much stronger shows than this one and they still floundered when they had to create new material.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

What the hell was that finale.

Where did Izzy end up?  I didn’t see her in Mia’s car in the final shot. Was that a dream, Izzy getting into the car?
 

I can’t believe Bebe ended up with the baby whom she STOLE from the adoptive parents. In what world is this a just ending? 
 

Elana made a ton of bad choices but in no way did she deserve to have all of her (white, privileged) children burning down her house. What a mess. 
 

Best scene was between Kerry Washington and Pearl. Mia finally owning up to her mistakes and showing vulnerability was satisfying enough to redeem her character to me. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Of course there would be no payoff with Pearl meeting her biological father and his wife. Let's instead focus on close up shots on Kerry and Reese instead. What a waste of Nicole Beharie.

  • Like 13
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Not to mention, where did Izzy go? We didn't see her in the back of the car when Pearl got out. Or did Mia and Pearl slaughter her for food somewhere in Pennsylvania?

Her getting in Mia's car was a dream sequence. After she woke up it seems that she was in a bus.

  • Like 8
  • Useful 7

Share this post


Link to post

what the hell did I just watch?

Glad Bill called Elena out on her shit...but the rest was a train wreck....

 

 

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Let's instead focus on close up shots on Kerry and Reese instead.

I haven't seen the episode yet but CLOSE UPS? Is that a Hulu thing, the irritating endless close up like in THT?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Bebe kidnaps little Mirabelle and is now going to live with her out of a car until the next time she decides parenting is too much work and abandons her baby yet again.

This bothered me so much. I understand she loves her daughter but being a good mother means doing what is best for your child.

 

3 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Speaking of Mirabelle's adopted parents, they're sooooo worried about her being abducted, but never take the elementary step of having a burglar alarm installed? Whatever.

Did they not lock their door? Did Bebe literally break in? Not showing us how she got in is just lazy.

3 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

The three oldest Richardson children all take a hand in burning the house down?

But Elena thinks Izzie did it and now wants to protect her.  Sure Jan.

3 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

So was Pearl going to meet the Ryans,

And Mia just left her there.  She doesn't even know if the Ryan's are still married. I'm sure they would welcome her into their family but that is still one big fucking adjustment for Pearl to make.

1 hour ago, dmc said:

Glad Bill called Elena out on her shit...but the rest was a train wreck..

Agreed. I thought this show started off strong and just went downhill.  Having not read the book I feel like there were things that weren't shown on screen that viewers needed to see.

Are we supposed to admire? feel sorry for? Elena and Mia now that they have suddenly decided to do the right thing for their kids?

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

It wasn’t the best finale to me but I didn’t completely hate it. I was internally cheering when Mia told Elena that it wasn’t her daughter that had the abortion but it was Lexi. 

While Mia has been a selfish mother, I did appreciate her understanding a bit more how her decisions fractured her relationship with Pearl and her (tiny) first steps towards remedying them. I’m very skeptical that Mrs. Ryan’s mind would immediately think it was Mia calling. I know she’d always be on their mind, but it had been 15 years.

Mia and Pearl ending up at her parent’s house. Maybe that’s a sign that they’ll stay for awhile.

No words for Bebe. The last scene with her and the baby in a car in a parking lot in the cold didn’t bode well for the future to me.  

Bill living his best middle-age life when he comes home to find his house on fire.

I know this is just a show, but thinking about Izzy going out on her own at such a young age made me feel somewhat sad. I didn’t know if she even took money, but just wondering how she’d survive, especially starting out. You know it would be rough for her, but she felt it was better than there knowing she was unloved. 

Edited by Sharper2002
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

4 minutes ago, Sharper2002 said:

I know this is just a show, but thinking about Izzy going out on her own at such a young age made me feel somewhat sad. I didn’t know if she even took money, but just wondering how she’d survive, especially starting out. You know it would be rough for her, but she felt it was better than there knowing she was unloved.

Izzy's not a strong enough person to make a go of it on her own. She'll be back home in a matter of weeks.

  • Like 10
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

FYI, Mia and Pearl did not go to the Ryans’ house. They were both at Mia’s parents’ house.

I must have been hallucinating (I did watch this episode at 6 am this morning when I was getting ready for work) and I could have sworn Mia took Pearl to one house and then drove to another one.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I must have been hallucinating (I did watch this episode at 6 am this morning when I was getting ready for work) and I could have sworn Mia took Pearl to one house and then drove to another one.

IIRC, we saw Pearl go in, then Mia wait a few minutes before going in herself. But I may be wrong, and in any case I will NOT be watching the ep again to double-check.

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

As always, A+ for the music and wardrobe choices. The clothes that the Richardson kids were wearing in the 1991 flashback were perfect (Izzy's denim shortalls, Trip's madras patchwork shorts, Lexie's floral print skirt). I was cracking up because OF COURSE Elena's kids would have a professional looking sign to sell fat-free lemonade. For the record, it's not true that mother birds will abandon their babies if humans touch the babies (source: my friend was a wildlife rehabber).

Ha, that conversation that Bill had with Izzy is almost the exact same talk I had with my younger cousin. She was in a similar position as Izzy (rich parents, a very nice house in a very expensive neighborhood - although she was not like Izzy in temperament - but she was silently chafing at the bit). I told her to just do her best to ignore her crazy parents because she only had a few more years left before college and then she could go anywhere she wanted. I also told her to get good grades so that she could get scholarships and take away her parents' ability to hold her tuition over her head. Thankfully she (mostly) listened and when it came time for college, she moved as far away as possible as she could without actually leaving the country.

After years of watching every character on Grey's Anatomy violate HIPAA left and right, I wanted to high five Elizabeth when she told Elena that it would be illegal to search the clinic's records for Bebe coming in.

But Elizabeth, you are a doctor! You need to password protect your computer! I know for a fact that option existed back in 1997!

Moody can suck it. Slut shaming a girl because she didn't sleep with you is misogyny 101. You can fuck right off with that attitude. And so what if Pearl theoretically had an abortion? That somehow makes her worse than your own brother who knew you liked Pearl and had sex with her anyway?

I was glad when Izzy told Moody that Pearl didn't owe him anything just because he liked her. More boys need to hear that harsh truth. I think about this anecdote posted in another forum whenever this comes up now:

Quote

After the Parkland shooting, a woman posted to Facebook about a conversation with her nephew, who had asked out a girl and been turned down.

Aunt: You know what to do now, right?

Nephew: Yeah, I know. Keep trying.

Aunt: NO. She gave you her answer. Leave her alone.

She wrote that he was completely shocked, because NO ONE had ever told him that before and ended her posts with a very emphatic "TEACH YOUR BOYS".

Indeed. People outright encourage their sons to continue pursuing girls who have told them "No", then are shocked when these same boys are arrested for stalking, rape, etc. and insist, "My son would NEVER do that! I raised him to respect women!"

No, you didn't.

I've had to remove many bumper stickers in my day and none of them came off as easily as Mia's mover & shaker one did.

41 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

FYI, Mia and Pearl did not go to the Ryans’ house. They were both at Mia’s parents’ house.

 

33 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I must have been hallucinating (I did watch this episode at 6 am this morning when I was getting ready for work) and I could have sworn Mia took Pearl to one house and then drove to another one.

 

17 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

IIRC, we saw Pearl go in, then Mia wait a few minutes before going in herself. But I may be wrong, and in any case I will NOT be watching the ep again to double-check.

Pearl went inside. Mia sat in the car and read what Pearl wrote. Then she took off her seat belt and got out of the car.

Mia pulling up to the house with Pearl:
1414853985_house1.thumb.jpg.2f67b0880bdc3ecb73405fe572494e5b.jpg

Mia getting out of the car:
200487740_house2.thumb.jpg.8bc8932a0926fa21aea95578bfe2ea3c.jpg

 

 

  • Like 22
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

What a hard episode to watch.  Reese was great as the puzzled/enraged/grieving mom.  She's really managed to do a number on her family.  Screaming at the girls like she did,  to me she finally snapped.  She's so puzzled, "where I do go wrong?  I just wanted to help", she really cannot see that all her machinations have backfired.  

I'm most bothered that Mia and Bebe appear to have a happy ending.  They have their daughters, it looks as though all is forgiven between Pearl and Mia.  For however long Bebe has MayLing, she's happy.  But the 2 rich white women are heartbroken.  Is this supposed to be some kind of lesson? Money doesn't buy happiness or something?  Sad.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PepSinger said:

FYI, Mia and Pearl did not go to the Ryans’ house. They were both at Mia’s parents’ house.

Thanks for clarifying. Still disappointed that they had Nicole Beharie and all they managed to give her was a 2-second phone conversation. Criminally underutilized, but at least she looked beautiful in '90s makeup and dress.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

After years of watching every character on Grey's Anatomy violate HIPAA left and right, I wanted to high five Elizabeth when she told Elena that it would be illegal to search the clinic's records for Bebe coming in.

Which is ironic because HIPAA wasn't even a thing in 1997.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Listening to Elena scream at her children was rough. The way she told Izzy she never wanted her. And then shrieking that Lexie is perfect. Great acting scene. 

 

I could live with everything except Bebe taking the baby. That was downright horrible. 

 

If I was forced at gunpoint to choose either Elena or Mia as a mother I think I would choose Mia. Even though she is a hypocrite and lies I never doubted her love for her child. And she lets children be who they are. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

Why couldn't they have made it clear whose house Pearl knocked at, they couldn't hire the actors for 30 seconds answering the door? I didn't read the book so I thought it was the Ryans, but other people here have said the grandparents.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Why couldn't they have made it clear whose house Pearl knocked at, they couldn't hire the actors for 30 seconds answering the door? I didn't read the book so I thought it was the Ryans, but other people here have said the grandparents.

We saw the outside of that house in a couple of scenes two episodes ago when it was in no way emphasized. Expecting us to remember whose house that is is a stretch.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

After years of watching every character on Grey's Anatomy violate HIPAA left and right, I wanted to high five Elizabeth when she told Elena that it would be illegal to search the clinic's records for Bebe coming in.

Every single medical show, unless the episode calls for a change in tactics from the writers who all of a sudden become knowledgeable  about privacy 🙄

OTOH every other show has immediately, many times in a abusive way, sent social services to take away a child in situations much less dire than  living in a car with a mother who cannot provide for them.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Why couldn't they have made it clear whose house Pearl knocked at, they couldn't hire the actors for 30 seconds answering the door? I didn't read the book so I thought it was the Ryans, but other people here have said the grandparents.

Right after they left Elena's house, Mia suggested they go to NY (that's where the Ryans live). Pearl said she didn't want to to there. The only other place she'd be interested in was her grandparents. 

  • Like 14
  • Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post

32 minutes ago, Bobcatkitten said:

If I was forced at gunpoint to choose either Elena or Mia as a mother I think I would choose Mia. Even though she is a hypocrite and lies I never doubted her love for her child. And she lets children be who they are. 

I agree. Elena's love is conditional. I don't approve of Mia depriving Pearl of stability (financial, familial, a home base - it was telling when Pearl said no one had ever asked her what she wanted) and a family outside of the two of them, but I do think she loves Pearl no matter what and Pearl knows that. Elena only loves her kids if they're who she wants them to be, and they know that. IMO that's worse. 

Mei-Ling is an adorable child.

I agree that Nicole Beharie was wasted. She's one of those actresses that should be way more famous than she is.

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

After years of watching every character on Grey's Anatomy violate HIPAA left and right, I wanted to high five Elizabeth when she told Elena that it would be illegal to search the clinic's records for Bebe coming in.

She had this look on her face like "This bitch ..." which I loved. She should have escorted Elena out when she left though - as she said, there was nothing more to discuss.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

So I hadn't watched the episode before commenting here. I had assumed Bebe had won and then gone living with the baby in the car. While I see the stretches of the kids setting the house on fire, I guess we are supposed to see this as the metaphor for "little fires", the ones burning inside all of them that become the real little fires. Not very well done it that's the intention. I liked it though, that the kids did this unthinkable thing as a total and complete meltdown. Collective hysteria.

For the ones who read the book and follow TV news closely, is this the end of the book? Is the show getting a second season and become like The Handmaids Tale, with total freedom for the writers to do whatever they want now, even if they go in a complete different direction?

I would like to see what happens to Izzy and the other kids, and also Bebe and May Ling. I am conflicted about Bebe having the baby, even if she hadn't kidnapped her. I think she should had been better advised and supported because she was a victim too. Since she didn't have any support, the attorney failed her. It was a shitty plot poorly done.

Editing: I don't want spoilers, I am just curious if the book ends there or if there is more to be explored in a possible second season

Edited by alexvillage · Reason: To clarify
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I agree. Elena's love is conditional. I don't approve of Mia depriving Pearl of stability (financial, familial, a home base - it was telling when Pearl said no one had ever asked her what she wanted) and a family outside of the two of them, but I do think she loves Pearl no matter what and Pearl knows that. Elena only loves her kids if they're who she wants them to be, and they know that. IMO that's worse

Completely agree as well. I also think by the end of the series, she realized how negatively her actions really impacted Pearl and she was starting to make some amends. Her love for Pearl remained no matter what and I think she realized she needed to make some changes out of that love for Pearl. Old Mia wouldn’t have gone to her parents house in a million years and she’s been really shitty in the past, but it’s time to face the truth.

I think Elena is an ignorant, racist (you’ll find someone that’s a better fit, my ass) wench and her kids had to live in her image. Even if Izzy ran back home, it’s likely not without conditions of conforming her personality and image to fit in with the rest of the family to be fully accepted. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

Editing: I don't want spoilers, I am just curious if the book ends there or if there is more to be explored in a possible second season

The book ends there. No idea if the show is getting another season.

One thing I thought was interesting was that Elena threw Izzy needing "professional help" at Izzy as an insult. Needing therapy is nothing to be ashamed of - and Elena and the whole family need so much therapy - but of course Elena would see it as such, as a failing, that something is wrong with Izzy.

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 9
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

The three oldest Richardson children all take a hand in burning the house down? I spit on your writing.

This was the worst part of the story.  I mourned so hard for their clothes and belongings and pictures.  There were no digital pictures back then, those pics are gone forever.  Ungrateful brats.

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post

Am I the only one on team Elena here? She did her best to create what she thought was a perfect family and the best life and even though this cost her giving up many personal dreams, she stuck with the decisions she made. Kudos for the determination and not changing her mind at the first sight of hardship. Was it really too much to expect that all her family members also try to act in a way that's best for the family instead of being selfish brats that they turned out to be? Of course she would have been better off as less of a control freak, but hey, no one is perfect.

Also, why despise Moody for his claim at Pearl, but not Bill at Elena? When Bill left on the last evening I was waiting for Elena to tell him to not bother coming back if he's not ready to support her fighting for the life they both chose. As for Moody, I feel he deserved to know where he stood with Pearl - seeing that he likes her why couldn't she just tell him the truth, preferably even before sneaking off with his brother? It looked like she used him when she had no other friends, but as soon as someone more popular came along, it was bye bye Moody the loner, hello the high society of Lexie and Trip.

 

  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I've had to remove many bumper stickers in my day and none of them came off as easily as Mia's mover & shaker one did.

That might've been the thing that got to me the most!

Again, I just don't really understand how we're supposed to take the Bebe/Mirabelle/McCullough's situation. I thought Bebe's lawyer came off like an idiot with his, 'Mai Ling is Chinese so she should be raised by her Chinese mom' questioning and that Linda came off pretty great in how she answered. And Bebe kidnapping the baby and ending up in her car was not good but I think we're supposed to think it was? I don't know, nothing makes sense lol.

Reese killed Elena's freak out before the fire. And so did all the teens save maybe Tripp, but he did have a really great wtf look at one point. The kids setting the fire was dark lol. It kinda came out of nowhere.

Kerry Washington's mouth acting set me off again, but I thought this episode more or less redeemed Mia. She got called out on her bullshit, she admitted that she worries that she did the wrong thing, and she ultimately did right by Pearl.

Why was Nicole Beharie even in this ep? I mean, I welcome seeing her, but it just seemed entirely pointless.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

If the end with Bebe and Mae Ling was supposed to come off all warm and fuzzy it really missed the mark. And I say that based on the soft music and the loving happy look Bebe had, that that was the director’s intentions. All I saw was a kidnapped child, in a cold car, parked by a dumpster, I guess on her way to Canada with a fugitive that had no money, very few life skills. Yea that’s gonna end well. I do not think this was the intent by the writers.

The final scene where Elena literally loses her s#it was a riveting scene. I still hate Elena but man Reese worked the crap out of that scene.

Mia, yuk, still don’t like her but I guess she got a bit of a redemption arc.

All the kids (minus Pearl) I thought we’re awful in their own way but I did appreciate Izzy telling Moody to step off and that you don’t own a girl just because you’re nice to her. 

Bill remains my favorite and he came off as the only non-loathsome person in the whole lot.

It wasn’t great but overall I enjoyed this mini series. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

The only argument Bebe's lawyer had for returning the baby to her was they are both Chinese. He made no mention of how Bebe would provide and protect that child. 

This, and it drove me crazy when he went after Helen for changing the baby's name. Of course she re-named her, how the hell would she know the birth name of an abandoned baby???

47 minutes ago, sadie said:

Bill remains my favorite and he came off as the only non-loathsome person in the whole lot.

Bill & Pearl were the stand-outs, everyone else was loathsome. 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

I'm surprised that the knowledge that Helen's adoption of Mae Ling wasn't even finalized didn't change anyone's mind about the situation.  And yes, I thought Bebe's lawyer brought up a lot of good points.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 12
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Bebe kidnaps little Mirabelle and is now going to live with her out of a car until the next time she decides parenting is too much work and abandons her baby yet again.

Right because a shitty landlord not providing heat and your job not paying you enough to eat so you can't make milk for your child are all things perfectly within one's control.

I think the ending was perfect.  I love that it ended with everyone at a crossroads. Pearl knocking on her grandparents' door,/Mia standing outside trying to decide whether to go in, Izzy running away/Elena trying to figure out how to mother her. Lexie will finally have her own hardship to write about.

I love Reese Witherspoon especially her playing dark after years of playing the innocent.

Edited by Adgirl
  • Like 13
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

The good:  The Pearl actress -- definitely  hope to see more of her in the future, she's great, and she made Pearl growing up and growing as a person come alive.  

Also, the scene where Pearl and Mia reconcile made me verklempt -- lovely scene.

The WTF:  I'm skeptical that Mrs. Ryan would immediately think Mia is her mystery caller after all those years.  I'm also skeptical that Mirabelle, even as a baby, is calmly smiling up at Bebe in a cold car and not uncomfortable or wondering where the other adults she got used to as her parents are.    Also ... the Richardson kids acted like they loathed each other the whole series and suddenly its Solidarity for Izzy! time?  I realize Elena being so cruel to Izzy was pretty shocking, but these usually-self-obsessed kids are suddenly so morally outraged they'll render themselves homeless to make a point?

The bad:  The acting was good across the board, but all the yelling, crying and histrionics -- just too much at a certain point.  With the exception of Bill and Pearl and Bebe (though I don't agree with her final decision, I at least understood her desperation) and the adoptive parents, these people all needed to mind their own damn business.

And Izzy was annoying - I feel bad saying this, but she was annoying.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Akinimod said:

Am I the only one on team Elena here? She did her best to create what she thought was a perfect family and the best life and even though this cost her giving up many personal dreams, she stuck with the decisions she made. Kudos for the determination and not changing her mind at the first sight of hardship. Was it really too much to expect that all her family members also try to act in a way that's best for the family instead of being selfish brats that they turned out to be? Of course she would have been better off as less of a control freak, but hey, no one is perfect.

Also, why despise Moody for his claim at Pearl, but not Bill at Elena? When Bill left on the last evening I was waiting for Elena to tell him to not bother coming back if he's not ready to support her fighting for the life they both chose. As for Moody, I feel he deserved to know where he stood with Pearl - seeing that he likes her why couldn't she just tell him the truth, preferably even before sneaking off with his brother? It looked like she used him when she had no other friends, but as soon as someone more popular came along, it was bye bye Moody the loner, hello the high society of Lexie and Trip.

 

No you're not the only one. She made some pretty bad decisions - with Izzy and Pearl, but she didn't abandon her baby or kidnap her for a wonderful life of living in a car sleeping next to a dumpster, or run off with a surrogate child. I think she did try to make a good life for her kids who were all a bunch of entitled brats - with the possible exception of Moody. She also rented that house to Mia - look how that turned out for her. Things seemed to be going ok for this family till Mia turned up

. Sorry,not sorry, but I never liked Mia. She was also a self important bitch that didn't give her child the best life either by always being on the run, and holding onto to her $ only to blow it all on that idiot lawyer. Bad decisions all around by just about every character. 

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, snarts said:

Bill & Pearl were the stand-outs, everyone else was loathsome. 

Agree! I love Joshua Jackson in general, and I loved Pearl going off on Mia about all of her lies and how hypocritical she is for judging everyone. All the girl ever wanted was stability. 

The four Richardson kids are privileged spoiled brats. 

Excellent performance by the cast. That there are such strong opinions (mainly against) these characters means everyone from writing to acting did a great job. Reese was particularly Emmy worthy. 

 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Empress1 said:

She had this look on her face like "This bitch ..." which I loved. She should have escorted Elena out when she left though - as she said, there was nothing more to discuss.

Tami Taylor would have walked Elena to the door and said, "Thanks so much for coming by. I appreciate it," and then shut the door.

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, sadie said:

If the end with Bebe and Mae Ling was supposed to come off all warm and fuzzy it really missed the mark. And I say that based on the soft music and the loving happy look Bebe had, that that was the director’s intentions. All I saw was a kidnapped child, in a cold car, parked by a dumpster, I guess on her way to Canada with a fugitive that had no money, very few life skills. Yea that’s gonna end well. I do not think this was the intent by the writers.

I agree with you. The baby smiling and happy with someone she doesn't know was a bit too much to swallow. Babies adapt faster to new situations but the girl spent the year of her life with other parents' and even recognized them as parents. That was some bad writing. 

 

11 hours ago, sadie said:

Bill remains my favorite and he came off as the only non-loathsome person in the whole lot.

Bill who? 😛

 

8 hours ago, Adgirl said:

Right because a shitty landlord not providing heat and your job not paying you enough to eat so you can't make milk for your child are all things perfectly within one's control.

I think the point is that it was badly written. I mentioned in another comment that I am conflicted about who should have the baby, if there would be better solutions, but the way it was shown to us, the whole hearing and the reasons the laws said, then Bebe kidnapping the baby was silly, even if Bebe was a victim in all this and that was ignored.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, alexvillage said:

For the ones who read the book and follow TV news closely, is this the end of the book? Is the show getting a second season and become like The Handmaids Tale, with total freedom for the writers to do whatever they want now, even if they go in a complete different direction?

Editing: I don't want spoilers, I am just curious if the book ends there or if there is more to be explored in a possible second season

According to this interview:

Quote

But seeing as how many series have now surpassed the book they were based on — Big Little Lies, for one — the question becomes: Could there be a second season of Little Fires? "I'd be open to it in terms of this is the best job I've ever had," showrunner Liz Tigelaar tells EW. "This was such an amazing treat of work experience, adapting something that I love with all my heart, with people who I love with all my heart." But when it comes to the story, Tigelaar says, "In my heart, I feel like this is what it's always been, which is a limited series. It's a show with a beginning, middle, and an end. Everything burns down."

Although Tigelaar admits she'll "never say never," she does feel that "these eight episodes honor the book. This is a close-ended story to me and we've ended it where it ends."

 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

According to this interview:

 

I was just in another thread about the book and apparently "honor the book" is not what this person thinks it is. But thanks for the link

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size