Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E14: Baby Steps

Kohola3
  • Start Topic

53 minutes ago, aimlessbird said:

Yeah, I keep thinking Kody can't go any lower and yet he always does.  He enjoyed that therapy session and being incredibly cruel to Meri while playing the bamboozled victim.  He had all those little speeches prepared and rehearsed, just like he did the day of the big fight at Coyote Pass.

I am not a Meri fan at all but Kody was so nasty during that therapy session that I actually felt some sympathy for her.

Wow I’m surprised some viewers think he rehearsed all of that. Yes I agree about Meri 100%. 

9 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Meri had gone to the airport to pick up Mariah and Audrey and they arrived at Janelle's house in giddy high spirits.  They stood there looking dumbfounded...where is everyone???  The camera crew were right there, all they had to do was ask. 

The entire scene smacked of a set up and well planned ahead. Otherwise why would a film crew be standing by waiting to film the "shock and horror" of the supposedly unexpected situation?  That whole thing was scripted.

• Love 17
53 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

The entire scene smacked of a set up and well planned ahead. Otherwise why would a film crew be standing by waiting to film the "shock and horror" of the supposedly unexpected situation?  That whole thing was scripted.

Yeah, but I bet money that Maddie requested that Meri not be allowed in the room under any circumstances. And Audrey just didn't belong there. IMO. At that point she's just Mariah's girlfriend, not really family.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Yeah, but I bet money that Maddie requested that Meri not be allowed in the room under any circumstances.

Oh, I agree. But it was all set up ahead of time, it wasn't just a fluke.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, AryasMum said:

This is a Bravo and reality TV problem in general. I had never heard of I’s until I started watching these shows. 

If you were using their grammar rules, you would have written "Me had never heard of I's until me started watching these shows."

LOL.

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Sadly, the one time she gathered her courage and was willing to consider another path, she was getting scammed and the whole Sam mess happened.

It's funny, around that time of "Sam" Meri was being really friendly and open on twitter.  I tweeted her a couple of times and she replied (as a side note, Logan was nice at replying too back then).  It's sad that the catfisher used that against her.  I think a lot of Meri's insecurity was feeling out numbered, literally and figuratively, so she used what ever leverage she could to try to maintain her personal sense of control.

• Useful 2
  • Love 18

I love little moments like the one with where Ysabel wants to go to college that prove that Kody hardly sees some of his wives and kids. That's where we get to see the real story beyond the crap they try to feed us. The wives hardly know anything about each other, and Kody knows nothing about the daily lives of many of his wives or children. 

Difficulties closing Robyn's mortgage didn't occur because of polygamy. They happened because Kody has minor children with 3 baby mamas, multiple accounts, and probably multiple businesses and properties. Determining him as a credit risk has to be near impossible. But Robyn tries to play it as prejudice against polygamists.

I loved Christine's comment about how children should leave the nest. I hope Robyn heard it when she watched the episode.

• Love 21
31 minutes ago, ElderPrice said:

What’s not fair is that Kody never specified what turned him off from Meri. He said that shortly after they married she showed herself not to be the person he thought she was and he was thus disillusioned. He didn’t say what she did. Did she cheat on him? Did she show herself to be a greedy narcissist and bitch to his other wives? Was she cruel to the children of his other wives? Knowing Meri I wouldn’t put that stuff beyond her. But it could also be that she didn’t fawn over him and tell him how wonderful he is every ten minutes. We don’t know because Kody wouldn’t back it up and say what he meant, and he’s a terrible person to bring up the subject vaguely enough to make her look bad, without being clear so that the therapist and the viewers can make a judgement. 

I wondered if it’s because she was realizing she really didn’t want to be a polygamist. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
On 4/6/2020 at 11:36 AM, Roslyn said:

As for Savannah.  I get the impression that she and Maddie have no closeness at all.  I still see her at Maddies wedding saying "well. I'm the sister of the bride, I guess that is something"

Maddie and Savannah don't seem to share the same bond that Truly shares with her sisters, especially Aspyn. To this day, I still can't get over the fact that Savannah wasn't in Maddie's wedding. 

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Maddie and Savannah don't seem to share the same bond that Truly shares with her sisters, especially Aspyn. To this day, I still can't get over the fact that Savannah wasn't in Maddie's wedding. 

I was amazed at that too but when I thought about it, that may have been Savanah's choice.  She seems to have come out of her shell a bit this season but it's possible she takes after her mother in that respect and shied away from anything that may draw attention to herself.

• Love 6

I haven't yet watched the show (can't get rid of hubby long enough to do that LOL) but I want to comment on Ysabel.  I think it would be great if she moved in with Maddie.  She could help with the kids, and get a job for a year while she earned her North Carolina residency.  Maybe she could even start community college.  East Carolina has a great variety of interesting majors (yes, my daughter lived in those hot dorms!) and she could definitely get better health care there if she could score some health insurance.  She needs to get away from Kody and his erector set cure for her scoliolis.  On second thought, this could work in a virus-free world but who knows about now?

• Love 6
20 hours ago, gladitsover said:

I agree with what you said - however I don't think the overarching issue is money - I think it is about control.

20 hours ago, b2H said:

That was totally and completely clear to me - Kody isn't interested in his kids bettering themselves.  He's interested in their complete and total fealty to Kody.

That's why the older kids are gone - they got the message and got out and never looked back.  Even Mariah, who only does here short appearances to help finance her life in Chicago.

It is all about control.  For Kody to validate his "head of the family" God-dom, living the life of a God on this planet he must have all the attention from the kids.  He thrives on the adoration of the children, but as they grow up (except for a few of the girls) they stop behaving that way (see him as the ass he is) and get out to live their own lives.

Kody made an off hand comment recently about how he needs his kids to start making more grandbabies so that he "won't need to continue to have babies". Because he needs a new group of babies to then adore and worship him as a Grandfather. As the kids grow and leave it means that there are no more little ones to yell and scream every time he enters a room.  Less kids means that there is less for the women to focus on and then they turn to Kody and always "want a piece of him".  Like real life stuff...the stuff that isn't constantly F U N.

His youngest children at Robyn's house might still be in the range to adore him, but by the scene's with Robyn's new black cloud hanging overhead, it isn't so much F U N to be there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
14 hours ago, AryasMum said:

This is a Bravo and reality TV problem in general. I had never heard of I’s until I started watching these shows. 

Haven't you heard some of these Bravo reality stars say "Jenna and I's relationship?" Just last night Adam on Below Deck said this. The very intelligent Carole Radziwill said  "Adam and I's relationship". I am thinking WTF? Where did this come from? do they really think this is correct? And don't even get me started on "me and him are going out tonight."

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
(edited)
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:
14 hours ago, AryasMum said:

If you were using their grammar rules, you would have written "Me had never heard of I's until me started watching these shows."

LOL.

I've heard this many, many times on The Bachelor: "Her and I's relationship." Also, I've noticed a LOT of people, younger than I, are saying and even writing "all of the sudden." Kind of scary.

ETA: the phrase "younger than I" is correct, because the full sentence would be "she is younger than I am." However, it could be argued that younger than me is also correct - if "than" takes a direct object, about which I am not sure. My guess is that "younger than me" is correct colloquially, while "younger than I is more strictly Oxford-dictionary grammatical. The idea of "all of the sudden" becoming colloquially correct really bothers me, because wtf is a "sudden"?

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Love 11
(edited)
7 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Haven't you heard some of these Bravo reality stars say "Jenna and I's relationship?" Just last night Adam on Below Deck said this. The very intelligent Carole Radziwill said  "Adam and I's relationship". I am thinking WTF? Where did this come from? do they really think this is correct? And don't even get me started on "me and him are going out tonight."

My 600-lb Life is always a bonanza of these kinds of errors.*. I think ONCE I noticed a poundticipant say, “so-and-so and I” and I was so moved that I’ve never forgotten it.

Topic: Kody needs to shave his head. 

*ETA: It always makes me think of this:

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Maddie loathes Meri, has for a few years now, IMO.

Didn’t Maddie work for Lularoe, as a member of Meri’s team, and they got into fights about workload and money all the time?  Isn’t where the hate grew larger for Maddie?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

As an adult, does Dayton now get paid for every appearance?  I can think of no other reason that they dragged him out to that U-Haul scene. He looked like he wished to be anywhere but there. I’m beginning to think it’s Robyn who can’t bear to be away from him, and not the reverse. 

• Love 14

As an adult, does Dayton now get paid for every appearance?  I can think of no other reason that they dragged him out to that U-Haul scene. He looked like he wished to be anywhere but there. I’m beginning to think it’s Robyn who can’t bear to be away from him, and not the reverse. 

Maybe they needed to prove some of the adult children still spend time with them. Other than Maddie and cameos by Aspyn, none of the other adult children film much, except the Christmas episode where they were in the background. I think Robyn's kids appear to be increasingly the only children who are interested. And Maddie, because she's probably getting a  separate paycheck.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Furthermore, was Robyn declaring on last week’s episode that all of mankind’s marriage licenses be burned (to suit her religious preferences) or just her family’s marriage licenses? Either way, that peek into her sense of her own power is staggering.  

And if she wishes all licenses to be burned,  why was she planning another little ceremony to commemorate the occasion?  

Which brings me to this week’s episode.  Meri and Kody probably discussed all those marital woes with their therapist years ago and that’s when and why they decided to divorce.  They may be just rehashing those former things to keep up with viewer suspicions. 

Edited by Just Wondering
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

I was amazed at that too but when I thought about it, that may have been Savanah's choice.  She seems to have come out of her shell a bit this season but it's possible she takes after her mother in that respect and shied away from anything that may draw attention to herself.

I've thought the same thing.  Wasn't Meri in charge of Maddie's wedding planning while Janelle hung up the "Gone Fishin" sign?  Savannah may have expressed her shy reticence and Meri took that as a "no" rather than urging her to think about it a bit more. Maddie has always been all about Maddie, so I doubt Savannah cared.

I did love it when Savannah said  to the camera a week or two ago: "my Dad's a scatterbrain". 

Robyn probably has her marriage license in a fireproof vault. This season she's been saying the opposite of what she really thinks. She would love it if Meri burned hers, just like Robyn had their bioDad removed from the family portrait.  If he/it is not there, he/it doesn't exist.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 15
44 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

I’m beginning to think it’s Robyn who can’t bear to be away from him, and not the reverse. 

Duh!  LOL.  And she doesn't mind uprooting 20 people so she can stay close to him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Teafortwo said:

I've heard this many, many times on The Bachelor: "Her and I's relationship." Also, I've noticed a LOT of people, younger than I, are saying and even writing "all of the sudden." Kind of scary.

ETA: the phrase "younger than I" is correct, because the full sentence would be "she is younger than I am." However, it could be argued that younger than me is also correct - if "than" takes a direct object, about which I am not sure. My guess is that "younger than me" is correct colloquially, while "younger than I is more strictly Oxford-dictionary grammatical. The idea of "all of the sudden" becoming colloquially correct really bothers me, because wtf is a "sudden"?

Sudden means quickly or unexpectedly. Right?

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Duh!  LOL.  And she doesn't mind uprooting 20 people so she can stay close to him.

He will be fine, he just needs to learn some coping skills and have someone who he can ask questions to about different things.  Many people like Dayton live by themselves.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Sudden means quickly or unexpectedly. Right?

Yes.  For those of you not lucky enough to have been around in the 1940's and exposed to the wonderful, romantic song lyrics, there was a song came out then ~~ All of a Sudden My Heart Sings~~.  The most recent rendition of it that I know of was Paul Anka in the late 1950's

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Just Wondering said:

Also, was Kody insinuating that he was tricked a la Mr. Rochester into taking an insane, twisted bride to his bosom?  

He didn't really insinuate it.  He pretty much said it.  He left it vague enough so that people will wonder and speculate and couldn't nail him down.  Typical passive aggressive ploy.

• Love 12
58 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I don't think so, she always seemed a favorite of Kody's to me.

She isn't Robyn's kid and she is no longer a baby or small child.  Kody has lost interest and does nothing to cultivate their relationship.  Ysabel may not be quite as forgotten as Truely and Savannah but she really is no longer a favorite.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, aimlessbird said:

He didn't really insinuate it.  He pretty much said it.  He left it vague enough so that people will wonder and speculate and couldn't nail him down.  Typical passive aggressive ploy.

Then I guess Robyn is his Jane Eyre. 😜

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Jane was smarter than Robyn could ever be, at least in my reading of the book. And she wasn't a passive-agressive needy shrew who had to be the center of attention.

Could be I dont like Robyn much?

Edited by Chicklet
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I don't think so, she always seemed a favorite of Kody's to me.

She was a favorite as long as they could get some sort of press coverage out of her. Pictures of them in Flint, Michigan that that quack doctor place made the magazines. Now that they have abandoned any thought of fixing her they dropped her like a hot potato.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Chicklet said:

Jane was smarter than Robyn could ever be, at least in my reading of the book. And she wasn't a passive-agressive needy shrew who had to be the center of attention.

Could be I dont like Robyn much?

At least from Kody’s perspective, Meri is his Bertha and Robyn is his Jane.  😜

13 minutes ago, Just Wondering said:

At least from Kody’s perspective, Meri is his Bertha and Robyn is his Jane.  😜

LOL, can you imagine the epic tantrum Meri would throw if anyone ever dared to suggest that she should live in an attic?

• LOL 4
(edited)
19 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Yeah, but Christine and Janelle probably shared a bedroom at Maddie's - so where would that leave Kody?  Awkward! (plyg perk? ha)

I’d imagine Kody told Maddie to go hang out in the room with Janelle and Christine, so he’d be alone with Caleb she could bond with them about another 86 hours of labor.  LOL, I kid, I kid.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 7

I'm really starting to wonder what it will take for Meri to pack up her shit and leave.

Kody has ignored her since the catfish and she's still there gobbling up any droppings from the master's table like a faithful old hound dog.

I think Robyn and Kody expected her to leave when the Vegas homes were sold and that's why they kept asking if she was moving to Flagstaff with the family.... They probably couldn't believe their ears when she kept saying "Yes I'm moving with you guys"  ugh!

I think Robyn decided that they needed to turn up the heat because Meri is like a tick that won't let go and that's why Kody has turned into a yelling monster that cant stand Meri or anything she represents, he's at the point where he's telling her that their entire marriage was hell and he hates every single thing about her and wished he never met her! 

The funny thing is that Meri seemed ready to leave when she had another man (Sam) to run off with... But as soon as that whole thing fell apart she went right back to Kody.... I think she's one of those women who need a man to run to..... So much for all the INDEPENDENT WOMAN hashtags... She's a big fat FAKE...  Her and her puffy, orange gopher face and brown tooth need to go!.... Jeez take a hint, no one in that family likes her except the kids who are too young to know any better.

Seriously...How do you stay after your husband reveals that he loathes you and every single minute he spent with you and he does it on television for the world to see and hear?

one thing that I found amusing was how animated Janelle was during the Coyote Pass blow-up... I rewatched it and Janelle's eyes are dancing and she's adding little comments to fuel the fire.... She was diplomatic but her usual sluggish persona was nowhere to be seen... I think Janelle loved every minute of it and I don't blame her.... Meri is a nasty piece of work.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Kellyee said:

Maybe they needed to prove some of the adult children still spend time with them. Other than Maddie and cameos by Aspyn, none of the other adult children film much, except the Christmas episode where they were in the background. I think Robyn's kids appear to be increasingly the only children who are interested. And Maddie, because she's probably getting a  separate paycheck.

Dayton doesn't appear to be employed. Neither are Madison or Mykelti.

I'm guessing Caleb's employer isn't concerned about him being on the show. 

Tony, Logan and fiancee, Aspyn, Garrison, Hunter, and Paedon are or are likely employed by companies/organizations that DO have a say in whether they appear on the show. Also Garrison is now LDS and I doubt they would be enthusiastic about him being on the show. 

I doubt they'd get much compensation. And I think many of them are OVER it. Probably enjoying life without a camera crew capturing their every move.  Life in a fishbowl probably sucks. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

I don’t think I even know what Garrison looks like. If he’s LDS, I don’t think he would appear. Didn’t Mariah attempt to join the LDS church but was told she’d have to repudiate her parents? I may be remembering that incorrectly. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, AryasMum said:

I agree with you.  Why they would need Day-Un along to retrieve King Sol and Areola's toys makes no sense to me.  Kootie did out himself by saying "when I come/go home" (paraphrasing) so we can assume he only lives with Robyn.  It's apparent Janelle doesn't need or expect him around, but Christine just seems as gaga over Kootie as always, which is sad, rilly, because he still seems to not value her at all.  

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I don’t think I even know what Garrison looks like. If he’s LDS, I don’t think he would appear. Didn’t Mariah attempt to join the LDS church but was told she’d have to repudiate her parents? I may be remembering that incorrectly. 

I believe that was Maddie.  Mykelti wanted to join LDS so she'd be in Tony's church, IIRC.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, LilWharveyGal said:

LOL, can you imagine the epic tantrum Meri would throw if anyone ever dared to suggest that she should live in an attic?

Well, if the attic had five bedrooms and an elevator . . . .

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, ElderPrice said:

What’s not fair is that Kody never specified what turned him off from Meri. He said that shortly after they married she showed herself not to be the person he thought she was and he was thus disillusioned. He didn’t say what she did. Did she cheat on him? Did she show herself to be a greedy narcissist and bitch to his other wives? Was she cruel to the children of his other wives? Knowing Meri I wouldn’t put that stuff beyond her. But it could also be that she didn’t fawn over him and tell him how wonderful he is every ten minutes. We don’t know because Kody wouldn’t back it up and say what he meant, and he’s a terrible person to bring up the subject vaguely enough to make her look bad, without being clear so that the therapist and the viewers can make a judgement. 

My guess is, it was Meri’s abuse of Janelle and other wives and possibly kids, in the early days and her refusing to think of the family as a whole. Maddie’s tweet referred to her being an ‘abusive monster her whole life’ and we’ve all seen the Meri and Janelle therapy sessions, where it was suggested Meri went apeshit crazy over the dishes in the sink. We’ve seen the episode where Meri disciplines the kids, or when Meri takes more than her fair share of resources; so reading between the lines with all that, she’s never been a family team player or willing to compromise for the greater good.

Kody probably thought he was marrying a  ‘keep sweet’ fundamentalist Mormon. He thought Meri, because she grew up in polygamy, would know exactly how to magically create harmonious relationships, with the other woman sharing his peen. He then felt duped when he realised he actually married an emotionally stunted woman who never wanted to share her husband at all, a woman who was outspoken, entitled and insisted on having what she wanted, a woman who then grew further damaged emotionally from her infertility problems while living in a religious lifestyle that values producing children above everything else. He is just as much to blame for their problems as Meri, (probably more so), as HE is the one that has placed his expectations on who SHE should be. He knows though as headship of the household in their religion, he doesn’t have to take any responsibility for how she feels. He’s even admitted that on the show, so SHE is the problem as far as he’s concerned. 

Edited by Sofa Sloth
  • Love 20
(edited)

I'd like to know how Kody (or was it Janelle) told Meri that he was marrying her friend/sister-in-law.  If it came out of the blue and Meri had no say in the matter, that may have triggered her response.  Kody was expecting her to keep sweet. Instead she framed her marriage license and prominently displayed it.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 13