Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Door County Cherry

S03.E08: Part VIII

Wow, am I ever glad that is over. 

I did like the interaction of Ambrose and Jamie as Jamie was dying. He at least had someone who understood him at the end. He was horrible in that he murdered people, but he was a compelling, tortured character and they showed that well.

• Like 10

I may have missed an episode or two. Did they ever explain what was between Jamie & Sonya? Did something happen between them in the past? 

Edited by HollyG
  • Like 2

Legend has it that Eli is still running, trying to get clear of that entire town full of idiots.

• Like 8
  • Laugh 10

36 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Legend has it that Eli is still running, trying to get clear of that entire town full of idiots.

The other cop guy said he was at the police station. How he got there Dog only knows.

I thought Jamie's death scene was actually pretty good, considering. It made me feel like his whole problem was that he didn't want to be alone, and being influenced by Nick at such an impressionable age just f-ed up any hope that he'd ever find a way to get what he needed within the normal bounds of society.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The death scene was good but overall there was a lack of suspense in this season. The best part of a mystery is trying to figure out what is going on. They could have gone so many ways with this. Sonya could have been the guys teacher and influenced them to play the game, Nick could have stayed alive and trying to infiltrate Jamie’s family. 

• Like 4

This was one of the worst series I have ever watched. It is preposterous. How could Jamie, who is totally psychotic, function as a teacher and husband for so many years and have nobody see any signs of his insanity? 

And a visit from his old college buddy sends him over the edge?

What was the purpose of this entire season? Bill Pullman analyzes the finale

• Like 11

Silly me for deciding to hang around the whole 8 episodes.  This was pure dreck nonsense and I just stared into space at the scene when dumb Sonya sat in her house after Harry told her that Jamie was coming.  Then she talks to him and finally her survival instincts kick in when he pulls a knife on her.  I was hoping he'd shank her for being a fool.

That death scene... didn't care about the Jamie/Ambrose sick bromance finally ending.   Goodbye my dudes and I hope that I don't get suckered again if this gets another season - I have lost all faith in the detective skills of Harry Ambrose.

Edited by patty1h
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, HollyG said:

I may have missed an episode or two. Did they ever explain what was between Jamie & Sonya? Did something happen between them in the past? 

I was wondering the same thing.  Did they ever explain why Jamie and Nick were driving to Sonya's house in the first place.  I figured they had some kind of connection to want to go specifically there and that would be revealed in the last episode, kind of like the first season reveal.  

• Like 5

Well, that was something.  Pullman and Bomer are two of my favorite actors, and I stuck around for them.  And really, they both were incredible.  I just wish the story was better, or at least made more sense.  After four episodes, I had the feeling that it wasn't going to get any better, but I figured I was halfway in at that point, I might as well see how it ends.  Plus, something might change, things might actually start to connect, all that WTF would start making sense and I'd see how brilliantly we'd all been played.

That didn't happen.  Nothing ended up making sense, most of the characters made some ridiculously bad decisions or were just plain stupid anyway.  And it ends with Harry crying about it.  Wow, okay.

• Like 9

This episode was better than most of the others. At least a few things happened. It was chilling when Harry got the Cootie Catcher from Jamie with Melanie’s and especially Eli’s name inside. But yes, the season itself was too drawn out. It’s the acting that keeps me coming back, just wish the stories were better. 

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, smeds said:

I was wondering the same thing.  Did they ever explain why Jamie and Nick were driving to Sonya's house in the first place.  I figured they had some kind of connection to want to go specifically there and that would be revealed in the last episode, kind of like the first season reveal.  

Yes, they explained it. A few episodes back (ep 5?) Harry went to Sonya’s house and told her that Nick and Jamie had chosen her house purely by random, using their Cootie Catcher. He even brought it with him to show her. It had arrows in the last selection and the arrows led them to her house. 

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

5 hours ago, smeds said:

I thought she might have been an earlier victim of Jamie & Nick. It's bothering me that they didn't explain it better.

Edited by HollyG
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, patty1h said:

This was pure dreck nonsense and I just stared into space at the scene when dumb Sonya sat in her house after Harry told her that Jamie was coming.  Then she talks to him and finally her survival instincts kick in when he pulls a knife on her. 

I was ready to stab her myself. 

• Like 5
  • Laugh 8

I agree with everyone here - what a load of dreck this series was. This had a lot of potential but the way it played out was extremely unsatisfying - there was zero suspense in the second half of the series, and it was really unsatisfying how there turned out to be no connection between Jamie and Sonya, and how Jamie and Nick hadn’t actually done anything awful in the past and how everyone seemed to be making stupid decisions and how nothing made sense - why wasn’t Ambrose’s house under survelliance in this episode? There was just so much that was stupid about this season, and the worst part is is that there was no suspense. 

I agree that the death of Jamie was a well done scene. 

I wonder what will happen to Ambrose now and would internal affairs clear him in the shooting? I still think Ambrose needs serious mental help after allowing himself to be buried alive. 

Overall this season was a massive disappointment - it had a ton of potential but it devolved into stupidity and didn’t have any suspense. 

• Like 3

I enjoyed this. Phenomenal acting. In the last two episodes, I was mesmerized and terrified whenever Jaime interacted with someone. His last meetings with his student, wife and Sonya were all terrifying and I'm glad they made it out alive. The story got very silly when Ambrose allowed himself to be buried, but I liked the turn around on the last two episodes. 

Sonya was crazy for doing what she did, but I was drawn to her honesty and ability to connect with people. God knows, Ambrose needs that honesty and her strength to pull what's hidden in him. 

The scenes with Jaime and his wife, and Jaime and Ambrose were excellent to me. I get the way they do the storytelling so it doesn't distract me from enjoying the characterizations on this show. With only 8 episode per story, their unorthodox method doesn't ruin the show for me.

I was surprised that no one commented on what seemed to be the sexual abuse Ambrose suffered from his mother.

1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I agree with everyone here - what a load of dreck this series was. This had a lot of potential but the way it played out was extremely unsatisfying - there was zero suspense in the second half of the series, and it was really unsatisfying how there turned out to be no connection between Jamie and Sonya, and how Jamie and Nick hadn’t actually done anything awful in the past and how everyone seemed to be making stupid decisions and how nothing made sense - why wasn’t Ambrose’s house under survelliance in this episode? There was just so much that was stupid about this season, and the worst part is is that there was no suspense. 

I agree that the death of Jamie was a well done scene. 

I wonder what will happen to Ambrose now and would internal affairs clear him in the shooting? I still think Ambrose needs serious mental help after allowing himself to be buried alive. 

Overall this season was a massive disappointment - it had a ton of potential but it devolved into stupidity and didn’t have any suspense. 

I though Nick had killed someone in the past.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Iguessnot said:

I enjoyed this. Phenomenal acting. In the last two episodes, I was mesmerized and terrified whenever Jaime interacted with someone. His last meetings with his student, wife and Sonya were all terrifying and I'm glad they made it out alive. The story got very silly when Ambrose allowed himself to be buried, but I liked the turn around on the last two episodes. 

I agree, I found this episode very tense and was in the edge of my seat for most of it. 

1 hour ago, Iguessnot said:

Sonya was crazy for doing what she did, but I was drawn to her honesty and ability to connect with people. God knows, Ambrose needs that honesty and her strength to pull what's hidden in him.

I find Sonya interesting too and liked most of her scenes, except the last one with Jamie. It was too ridiculous. I can understand getting a thrill, but this wasn’t a you might get fired or you’ll lose a friend scenario, it was you’ll be killed! She knew how dangerous Jamie was at that point, and considering how pissed off she was that Harry and the police weren’t doing enough to keep her safe at the beginning, it was out of character for her to put herself smack in the middle of danger that way. 

I also agree about the characterizations. I never looked at this show as a whodunnit, but more a psychological drama. It’s very character driven. 

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 4

This wasn't the best thing I've ever seen, but compared to the other two seasons, the ending of this didn't feel like I had been cheated.  There were no long drawn out red herrings and plot pieces that were put in to drive you crazy.  (Why did the parents just give up on the younger sister in Season 1, and what was the point of the giant rock in Season 2?)

You knew that Jamie and Nick had some sick connection, they showed what that was and how it developed, and the rest was what Ambrose went through in trying to catch Jamie.

• Like 4

WELL, THAT HAPPENED....saying your lines very slowly does not make the content any better people...those writers are on xanix.  

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

On 3/29/2020 at 1:36 AM, Iguessnot said:

I was surprised that no one commented on what seemed to be the sexual abuse Ambrose suffered from his mother.

My memory is going from this quarantine (I don't even know what day it is and I'm working from home and should know this!), but I think they alluded to or somehow brought it up in one of the previous seasons? I think as a kid, Ambrose burnt his mom's house down. And I feel there had been some sort of mention or hinting of sexual abuse. 

There's a lot to unpack from Ambrose's head. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hookedontv said:

My memory is going from this quarantine (I don't even know what day it is and I'm working from home and should know this!), but I think they alluded to or somehow brought it up in one of the previous seasons? I think as a kid, Ambrose burnt his mom's house down. And I feel there had been some sort of mention or hinting of sexual abuse. 

There's a lot to unpack from Ambrose's head. 

Wasn't she still in the house when he burned it down? I only thought they alluded to her being crazy but I missed any earlier signs of sexual abuse. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

Wasn't she still in the house when he burned it down? I only thought they alluded to her being crazy but I missed any earlier signs of sexual abuse. 

Maybe they didn’t allude to sexual abuse and I came to that conclusion myself? Maybe after we learned that Ambrose likes to be sexually dominated? 

Probably from too many years of watching Criminal Minds, Law & Order SVU, Dateline, etc.! 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

On 3/26/2020 at 11:18 PM, BC4ME said:

Wow, am I ever glad that is over. 

I did like the interaction of Ambrose and Jamie as Jamie was dying. He at least had someone who understood him at the end. He was horrible in that he murdered people, but he was a compelling, tortured character and they showed that well.

To me Jamie was a spoiled brat.  His wife read him when she said HER father had to do manual labor in Jamaica, so WTF was Jamie crying about.  To me Jamie was a privileged white male who didn't know how good he had it.   I thought Harry shot Jamie because Jamie wouldn't STFU, I was getting tired of listening to his babbling on about Jung.

BTW, I forgot this show was even on, until I saw something today on YouTube and I realized I hadn't watched the last episode.  What a waste of time.

BTW part 2, the "Cootie Catcher" was called a "fortune teller" when I was about 8 years old and all of us kids made them, and I was 8 a LONG time ago, so Jamie and Nick weren't all that; just a pair of stupid, bored, privileged boys who read too much bad philosophy.  Someone should have dropped both of them in the Amazon jungle, Naked and Afraid and told them to survive for a few months.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Like 5

I saved all the episodes on my dvr so I could binge watch--anticipating a suspenseful show. although I did get thru it all, I admit to fast forwarding parts here and there to speed it up.  I could only take some much philosophizing. I love Mat Bomer (NEVER cut your hair again) and Bill Pullman but the whole series was like watching paint dry.  

• Like 1