Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Airplane Bottles

• Start Topic

Episode Description:

As a storm rages outside the Stone home and anxieties boil over inside, Olive frantically searches for meaning in a centuries-old text. Meanwhile, Michaela faces unexpected scrutiny at work, and Zeke comes to Saanvi's aid when her lab research takes a dangerous turn.

Promo

Sneak Peek 1

Sneak Peek 2

(edited)

I had to look up “airplane bottles” even though my father used to have a collection of hundreds of them —all unopened. Did they used to be called “miniature bottles” or something else?

Regarding the 2nd preview above:

Spoiler

So, Saanvi has turned into every Mad Doctor who has ever experimented on their patients? Fun.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

All you Cal lovers get to appreciate the kid you have been clamoring for tonight.   I noticed,  the last episode,  that Olive's eyebrows are younger versions of Michaela's brows.   The Stone House is Brow City. Looking forward to tonight's continuing confusion. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I see Simon has decided to use Dawn of Justice logic on the 828 problem. "I don't understand something so it must be evil and nefarious. The only proper reaction is fear and paranoia. We should destroy them because they can see the future, which is telepathy." A general definition of telepathy can include the ability to see the future. However, the term Simon was actually thinking of was clairvoyance. There's no way that a university professor has ever had to write a dissertation or look up a definition in a dictionary. Simon would get along great with Snyder's Batman, who is reactionary and dumb.

How the hell does Simon have this many moles when the Major seemed to only have herself and that lab tech? Simon has operatives at every level. No part of this makes sense or that Simon would be the central organizing figure.

No one even in their wrong mind would take Saanvi's cure if it leaves her tweaky and amnesiac.

"A silver dragon? What could that mean? It makes no sense." Seriously?!?! You people have terrible imaginations. It's obviously a plane.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 9

I wish I had the guts to quit watching this show... but you know how it is.  Maybe it’s because there’s really not much else interesting on t.v., though my favorite show now is Project Blue Book--at least it is loosely based on reality.  

• Love 8

So is Jared undercover or not? I assumed he was in the scene where he's talking to the police chief about MIchaela being so rigorously investigated by IA, but then I sort of lost track of it when Jared went to see Simon at the university - was that Jared still pretending to be an X-er or not? 

And what was the purpose of this particular calling? Was it solely to point out to the gang that their experience was the same as what happened to the crew of the ship in the ancient text - that flight 828 was predicted way back then?

I actually felt a little bad for Zeke - here he thought he might actually have a shot at being "cured," and then *poof* that opportunity goes down the drain. 

Is Vance ever going to resurface? That entire storyline has been dropped.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, sempervivum said:

My God, this show is dumb. It really reminded me tonight of the worst episodes of original Star Trek, when everybody keeps falling out of their seats because the ship is under attack.

Dumb is an apt description for this episode.

For a book that is several hundred years old, they really are kind of rough on it.

I hope Cal goes off to visit Grandpa for the rest of the season.  That kid can not act.

Ok, I get it already, it's all connected -- I don't think they said that enough this episode.

Michaela's IA interview was pretty dumb too -- I'm still surprised that the IA detectives were all concerned about Michaela's relationship with Isaiah, but never brought up the poisoned champagne. 

The whole nonsense with the storm calling was just beyond stupid, even for this show.
All of it was just to show that the plane and Al Zuras ship were somehow in the same place at the same time -- here's a question, I didn't see Zeke or Griffin and the van anywhere nearby, so what happened with them ?  Or did the writers gloss over that ?

As for the timeline, TJ still has some recent injuries so only a couple of days have progressed since the previous episode which puts this episode around March 17-19.  Though Saanvi makes a comment that she hasn't had a calling "in weeks", which just doesn't jive since she only injected herself with the death date cure during the episode with the night club fire which was only a couple of days previous to this episode.

Per @Biggie B, Vance has up and disappeared like a fart in the wind, as has the Major.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Biggie B said:

And what happened to "The Major?"

18 minutes ago, mertensia said:

Michaela is dumb dumb dumb.

Totally agree, agree, agree.   Her union rep should have given her a few smacks to the back of her head. (Oh yeah, he wasn't a legitimate rep)

STFU, asshole.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2

Next week on Manifest, they all take a class in learning sailor’s knots - because it’s all connected!

I’m convinced that the writers room for this show is now a giant bag of random words that they draw from each week to fill in for the mad libs script. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Biggie B said:

So is Jared undercover or not? I assumed he was in the scene where he's talking to the police chief about MIchaela being so rigorously investigated by IA, but then I sort of lost track of it when Jared went to see Simon at the university - was that Jared still pretending to be an X-er or not? 

At this point, for me, the real questions are:

1. Do the writers know whose side(s) Jared is on?
  2. Do the writers expect the viewers to know whose side(s) Jared is on?

2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The whole nonsense with the storm calling was just beyond stupid, even for this show.
All of it was just to show that the plane and Al Zuras ship were somehow in the same place at the same time -

which reminds me of how much I hated the 17th century schooner plot on Lost.

• Love 8

YEESSS!!  I too was thinking of Richard and his gorgeous guy-linery eyes!  Which unfortunately brings up painful memories of Esau and most especially m-f-ing Jacob.

I needed to ingest several of those aforementioned Airplane Bottles. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I think they're going to try the Legendary Knights of the Fuddy-Duddies,  who are tasked with solving and guarding the mystery of Quantum Entanglement and Dark Lightning and ensuring that everything follows their guidelines on the Official Use of Callings. This secret organization is run by the Major‘s replacement since she botched the whole Vance hit job,  Upper Management Simon had to come in and straighten out this mess. 

The university professor,  Simon,  suddenly is running the whole shit?   Now it appears Jared was an X-er but pulled the plug when he realized that Michaela was going to be "Taken Out". Um,  whiplash!! Did Jared not think his duplicity would place his Beloved Detective Stone and her family in any danger? 

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, sempervivum said:

My God, this show is dumb. It really reminded me tonight of the worst episodes of original Star Trek, when everybody keeps falling out of their seats because the ship is under attack.

At least Star Trek was a good show.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Now it appears Jared was an X-er but pulled the plug when he realized that Michaela was going to be "Taken Out". Um,  whiplash!! Did Jared not think his duplicity would place his Beloved Detective Stone and her family in any danger? 

and how do we know he saved her life? the union guy shook hands with simon, maybe they are next door neighbors??

• Useful 1
52 minutes ago, jabRI said:

and how do we know he saved her life? the union guy shook hands with simon, maybe they are next door neighbors??

Didn't Simon (this is ridiculous)  call for Michaela to be taken care of?  Yes,  they could be next door neighbors,  but in that context,  its illogical to think of anything other than "Collusion,  Delusion". (Sorry,  couldn't resist this stupid jingoism) 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, alvajon said:

I wish I had the guts to quit watching this show... but you know how it is.  Maybe it’s because there’s really not much else interesting on t.v., though my favorite show now is Project Blue Book--at least it is loosely based on reality.  

This hasn't been renewed for multiple seasons like New Amsterdam, has it?

9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I was thinking the series is incredibly lame.  Horrible acting, horrible writing, I am just watching it to see how much more worse it can get.   I guess you can say I am pity watching.

I am pity watching, too.  Each time I think, can it get any worse.  The answer is always yes, it can!

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, preeya said:

Her union rep should have given her a few smacks to the back of her head. (Oh yeah, he wasn't a legitimate rep)

Even though he was part of a conspiracy actively plotting against Michaela, his advice to her was still better than her own instincts. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Snickerdoodle said:
11 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I was thinking the series is incredibly lame.  Horrible acting, horrible writing, I am just watching it to see how much more worse it can get.   I guess you can say I am pity watching.

I am pity watching, too.  Each time I think, can it get any worse.  The answer is always yes, it can

I think I will call it Zoo-Watching.
Did anyone else here watch the multiple summer season CBS show Zoo to the bitter end? 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Did anyone else here watch the multiple summer season CBS show Zoo to the bitter end? 

I didn't even watch the beginning.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But Zoo had Mitch snark and the third season they just embraced the lunacy.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, alvajon said:

I wish I had the guts to quit watching this show... but you know how it is.

I think I have. I only halfway watched last week's episode, haven't watched this one, don't know that I will, and probably won't watch next week.

15 hours ago, Biggie B said:

11 hours ago, preeya said:

And what happened to "The Major?"

And what ever happened to the pilot who flew off chasing the black lightning last season?

• Love 5

Yes, what happened to the major?

Yes, what happened to Vance?

Yes, I watched “Zoo” from beginning to end (and I admit "Under the Dome” too); however I quit “Lost” after about half of the first season. 

I have no concrete thoughts on Jared’s agenda, but I do believe he jailed Michaela to save her from the bad guys.  I believe he’d take her back in a heartbeat.  I really don’t like her relationship with Zeke.  But this is only a t.v. show, right, guys?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, alvajon said:

I have no concrete thoughts on Jared’s agenda, but I do believe he jailed Michaela to save her from the bad guys.  I believe he’d take her back in a heartbeat.  I really don’t like her relationship with Zeke.  But this is only a t.v. show, right, guys?

I think that was his intention; to save Michaela but HE'S the one who put her life in danger by feeding her case files to Simon.  Simon saw Michaela as a threat and wanted to eliminate her.  What did Jared think he (Simon) was going to do; talk Michaela into joining his band of haters? Jared had the nerve to tell Michaela she was being naive and that she didn't know how much danger she was in.  Pray tell, Jared, how do you know all this?

I still want to know how Simon recruits these people.  They seem sane until they open their mouths.

I like Zeke with Michaela, he's a calming influence and is sort of Gentlemanly with her; not pushing her around like Jared does.  She seems to like having him around.  Jared is just too Alpha Dog aggressive.

I also liked the way Zeke handled the shaky Saanvi.  As an ex-druggie, he saw the signs and immediately thought about Saanvi's safety and brought in Alex.  He was calm and managed to talk Saanvi down and he did it to save her not just because she offered a cure to his death date.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I think that was his intention; to save Michaela but HE'S the one who put her life in danger by feeding her case files to Simon.  Simon saw Michaela as a threat and wanted to eliminate her.  What did Jared think he (Simon) was going to do; talk Michaela into joining his band of haters? Jared had the nerve to tell Michaela she was being naive and that she didn't know how much danger she was in.  Pray tell, Jared, how do you know all this?

I still want to know how Simon recruits these people.  They seem sane until they open their mouths.

I like Zeke with Michaela, he's a calming influence and is sort of Gentlemanly with her; not pushing her around like Jared does.  She seems to like having him around.  Jared is just too Alpha Dog aggressive.

I also liked the way Zeke handled the shaky Saanvi.  As an ex-druggie, he saw the signs and immediately thought about Saanvi's safety and brought in Alex.  He was calm and managed to talk Saanvi down and he did it to save her not just because she offered a cure to his death date.

So, riddle me this more or less rhetorical question: If Zeke tragically freezes to death (perhaps rather than deal with the side effects of the "cure" because of his neurological biochemical addiction tendencies), and if Jared professes his undying love to Michaela but does not get a personality transplant, what will Michaela do?
See? This is why I call it "Zoo" watching.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

what will Michaela do?
See? This is why I call it "Zoo" watching.

Wild animals need to be put down, otherwise they can cause harm to your family under the guise of "I can protect you from the people I'm colluding with".  That's what Michaela should do. Expose him and that Captain of the Precinct as X-ers and start to lay the blame for the fire on those two.  Put them on the defensive.  Sure Michaela was at the scene of the fire, but that's because she was lured there by Isaiah as were the others. What exactly are the police and IA accusing Michaela of?  Michaela didn't lock the doors, nor did she supply the poisoned champagne (as most of you pointed out); which any M.E. should be able to find evidence of.  It seems to me that any real attorney or Union Rep, should be easily able to poke holes in their case.  They have none, all they have is a mini-Cabal, running the police department.  This is a silent takeover of our law enforcement system, by this criminal element who seem to be doing nothing about these crazy incidents except to blame innocent 828-ers. In other words, sorry, but fuck Jared and that White Horse of a Police Captain he rode in on.  You did say the question was rhetorical. So, the answer is a no-brainer.

What do the Captain, Jared, & the Union rep have to say about the Judge signing off on the wire tap/Bugging of the bar?  Are they prepared to say Michaela had no reasonable cause for the wire tap when it was shown that Jared acquired Michaela's police cases under false pretense and passed on that information (probably yet to be presented as evidence) to a civilian university professor?

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 3

Yes, that's what I mean. Crazy pants Zoo-like outcomes no matter how they slice it at this point.

I was going to link to reviews explaining everything wrong with Zoo which I thought would mirror Manifest, but it seems that since Zoo went off the air in 2017, it is remembered online by a small cult-like following of fans.

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

it is remembered online by a small cult-like following of fans.

LOL, are you tacitly admitting to being part of a cult, Shapeshifter?  Just messing with you.  I think, further rumination seemed to make it clear to me that the Captain & IA are only interested in how Michaela has been solving these cases, not about the deaths from the fire and who caused it.  They don't seem to give a shit about that.  They just want to know if Michaela, an 828'er, is either causing these occurrences or somehow being tipped off before hand by what........?  They are just interested in painting the picture of Michaela being compromised or somehow under the influence of something either demonic (By Simon's twisted reasoning) or she's a victim of Mass Hysteria (Leaving out the minor issue of their involvement with the anti-828 movement).  Either way, Michaela, Ben, Saanvi, TJ, Zeke & Vance are going to have to declare war on their collective asses.  They need to take them down, one-by-one, starting with Simon's wife.  Go for the wounded animal first.  She's pregnant and wanted Grace's baby dead, a nice health scare will work wonders on her. I know it sounds cruel, but these people are not above eliminating anyone they think is in their way.

Here's a crazy thought, probably Tequila inspired, but what if the Major wanted to try and cultivate the 828'ers and kidnap Cal because they were in a war against Simon and his crew.  What if we got the Major's intentions all wrong.  Those 828's held in labs and experimented on, weren't simply 828'ers being tortured for information, but were being prepared as soldiers in a war against Simon's Cabal. The Major was military, military tends to think in what can be used as a weapon. Therefore, I posit, that the Major was trying to create weapons or soldiers out of the 828'ers.  

On the other hand, Simon seems more interested in some occult phenomenon and how to prevent some apocalypse.  Simon's interests seem theological. Those two seem at odds to me.

A final disclaimer, by suggesting a health scare toward's Simon's wife, I was by no means suggesting any serious physical harm, just a scare with an acknowledgment that if she and her husband keep that shit up, next time may be scarier.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Anela said:

Good to know I'm not missing anything. I totally forgot about this show, and just clicked over to see if everyone still hates the wife. 

The writers solved that by making everyone equally hate-worthy. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 3/9/2020 at 10:16 PM, Jacks-Son said:

All you Cal lovers get to appreciate the kid you have been clamoring for tonight.   I noticed,  the last episode,  that Olive's eyebrows are younger versions of Michaela's brows.   The Stone House is Brow City. Looking forward to tonight's continuing confusion. 

And the Stone children are really most unattractive.

So this has to be Jared undercover right? Thats why he was trying to arrest Michaela, because this conspiracy/hate group run by this one random college professor have an insane amount of power and influence? Who are one of the lamest of tv "we hate anyone different they are a threat!!!" groups around? I dont even like Jared, and even I dont think he would join a domestic terrorist group just because of a bad break up. 

Poor Saanvi, its like the show realized that she was one of the few competent people around, so that had to be dealt with. And now she has a death characterture! I do actually think this is a decently interesting plot for her, and I actually like her and Zeke sharing scenes. You can see how much experience he has with this kind of thing (being an addict in recovery) and how he is trying to help her get through this, using some of his own experiences. Its actually pretty solid character work based on previously established backstory, which is always something to be celebrated on this show!  

I swear if I never hear someone say "its all connected!" ever again, I will be freaking thrilled. This whole ship connection started out as being a kind of interesting idea, as its been established with Zeke that stuff had happened before, but, shockingly, this show has made it ridiculously stupid. And the Calling stuff is just getting more and more pointlessly vague, and everyone else is being ridiculously obtuse. "A silver sky dragon, sounding much like a certain flying mode is transportation common in the 21st century of which was a major part of our lives and current situation?! What could it mean?!?"

• Love 4
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I dont even like Jared, and even I dont think he would join a domestic terrorist group just because of a bad break up. 

Of course not, who does join a domestic terrorist group just because of a bad break up?  It's just not something anybody would do!

Where does that leave you?  Have you figured out Jared's endgame?  I haven't a clue, but all signs seem to lead to his doing exactly that.  This IS "Manifest" "Where it's all connected".  Sorry, couldn't resist.  🖖 

• LOL 2

Don't worry about it.  There are a lot of Plot "B"'s with this show and it's hard for all of us to make sense or keep track of it.  It's just fun to critique the show with fellow viewers, especially when you get crossover viewers who like similar shows,

• Love 1
On 3/9/2020 at 10:16 PM, Jacks-Son said:

I noticed,  the last episode,  that Olive's eyebrows are younger versions of Michaela's brows.

Actually, Olive's are veering more towards uni-brow territory whereas Michaela's are more Brooke Shields-ish

On 3/10/2020 at 12:16 AM, HunterHunted said:

"A silver dragon? What could that mean? It makes no sense." Seriously?!?! You people have terrible imaginations. It's obviously a plane.

Seriously!  Have these people never heard a Bon Jovi song "I'm a cowboy.....on a steel horse (silver dragon) I ride......"

I know Saanvi's self-testing is causing her condition, but man her jittery behavior annoyed me

One redeemable act does not un-douche-ify you in my eyes, Jared.  Is his wife (Lourdes) ever going to re-appear?  There's been no talk of divorce proceedings (as that much real time hasn't passed) so I'm assuming they're just separated.

Other burning questions:

Why aren't Olive and Cal going to school?  Why hasn't Grace gone to work at her (catering?) business?  Does Ben NOT have classes to teach every day?  How can Saanvi just hide out/lock herself in a lab where no one else conveniently has to get into?  Is Michaela really the only one going to her job on a consistent basis?

• Love 4
On 3/10/2020 at 3:52 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Ok, I get it already, it's all connected -- I don't think they said that enough this episode.

Props to Ben for a singularly cogent addition:  "It's like a million little things!"

Edited by Dowel Jones
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Props to Ben for a singularly cogent addition:  "It's like a million little things!"

Wait. Isn’t that show on another network? 
But it doesn’t matter anymore; shows are advertised on “competing” networks all the time now: It’s all connected!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I don't understand this show. I don't know what's happening. Everything is confused and confusing. Everything is incoherent. I'm not sure the writers themselves know what they're doing. But Cal screaming at his parents was extra special. He is an obnoxious twerp. 

• Love 1

Seriously, this episode made me feel like I was the one going crazy.

First of all, I wanted to reach into the TV and wring Michaela's neck every time she immediately took the bait and not shutting up with those snide agents.  

When we had a break from that subplot, I wanted to reach into the TV and strap Saanvi into a gurney and give her a blindfold so she would stop with the twitchy movements and crazy eyes.   I think I liked Zeke for the first time ever, for trying to help her and for deciding not to take the "cure".

And finally, I felt like I was going stir-crazy with the oppressive environment of the Stone house with the brat Cal trying to build a fake boat so they could all be transported back in time.  I guess a bad drawing couldn't work for that?  Or he could have drawn it, and then have his dad build it.  

Basically, The Callings want them all to bow and prostrate, listen with obedience and accept their death date.

The conspiracy at the police station and the Exers is so convoluted that thinking about it makes my head hurt.  They want to kill Michaela because why exactly?  I can't understand Jared's angle either.  If he really was an Exer, then he's not redeemable, even if he is back-pedalling now.  If he was trying to infiltrate them, his tactics are questionable.  He was willing to give them the case files, so they would be leaked to the press?  Huh?  Wouldn't that have reflected badly on him regardless since he was on those cases?  

This show is literally a spiderweb of random plot ideas.  I can't wait for Season 5 when we see Flight 828 land and we get to see Ben, Michaela, Cal and all our favorite passengers have an adventure in 1500s Egypt.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
On 3/10/2020 at 6:31 PM, Snickerdoodle said:

I am pity watching, too.  Each time I think, can it get any worse.  The answer is always yes, it can!

It is so bad. Laughably so. Perfect summer vacation watching while I do other things at the same time.

I'm really trying to understand why this show has been so popular on Netflix lately because it makes no. damn. sense.

Thank God for this forum. I thought it was just me. Does it get better? (Don't answer that...despite myself I'm probably going to keep on watching.)

• LOL 2