Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Risky Business

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

And then they can sign the young woman who lived in a small town that had the BEST apples in the world!!!!  After all, I believe she did not sign a record deal once she was eliminated from American Idol (obviously I have forgotten her name...).  Oh, and we previously had the boy band(er) who wanted to go to Chicago (I guess when too many seasons have passed I just don't remember anyone's name [hope it's not my age catching upto me...]).

Evelin and Yamin.

32 minutes ago, magemaud said:

What? Are you forgetting the mayo treatment on his "long, sexy hair"? Definitely a chick magnet, at least to Rosemarie! 

More like chick maggot.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

Even just him losing weight would've been something, but one of the few positives to being a short man with a small frame is that weightlifting takes way less time to look built than someone of average size. The dedication it would've taken to get Geoffrey's physique is hard to imagine, though now that he already has it and is disliked, there's nowhere to improve for the court of public opinion. At least the disdain for Ed would probably be diluted a bit with respect if he got in shape.

I was just thinking a haircut and a shave but yeah, maybe some gym time.

3 hours ago, magemaud said:

The way she rapidly says she's from "York City" he might have thought she said NEW YORK CITY! But, she's also promoting an artist called "Soldier Boy" so maybe that's a problem. 

and "Yes, Love" Jenny

I still think that might have been Daddy Silva's car. After all, reports are both Stacey and Darcey have boomeranged back into the family home. 

I thought I heard Darcey say at the start of what ever season or show we are watching that she and Stacey moved in to a new house but frankly I think I remember this house from an earlier season.  

As far as the car, it is a Nissan nothing fancy and it appears that they share that car.

Daddy Silva will never not have those two on his payroll.

Did anyone catch the scene where the Bi Girl was having dinner and there was a kid (or teen) was cutting his food like a caveman? Who holds a knife like that? I know, a caveman. Duh.

Also, Lisa of York says Sojaboy is a slebrity.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
42 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Did anyone catch the scene where the Bi Girl was having dinner and there was a kid (or teen) was cutting his food like a caveman? Who holds a knife like that? I know, a caveman. Duh.

I noticed that his mother was using her knife the same way, so he probably learned from her.  Maybe it's a Czech thing.  I've never been there, so I'm only guessing.

• Useful 1
59 minutes ago, OFDgal said:

Does Rose have internet access in that bedroom?  She must have a phone/computer to be online.

You can buy a used smartphone for $30 in the Philippines and buy a SIM card for $1 and get 1 GB of data for about $1.  Yet in the USA most of us have to pay $50-$75 a month for a phone plan.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I thought I heard Darcey say at the start of what ever season or show we are watching that she and Stacey moved in to a new house but frankly I think I remember this house from an earlier season.  

Last season she said she and (possibly Stacey) had moved and it turned out it was into their parents' home. The scenes before she went to England were filmed there and she had said something about being fortunate to have her parents as babysitters. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, OFDgal said:

Does Rose have internet access in that bedroom?  She must have a phone/computer to be online.

I didn't watch the entire episode but I remember her sister ran a sari sari store where they lived. They often have a small internet cafe  attached if the family was taking that perk from the business.

• Love 1
On 3/9/2020 at 8:15 PM, humbleopinion said:

Agreed, no harm no foul when Rose took over to pay...She did it to save BigEd's face...

From a Psychology Today article

The phrase to "save face" has been around a long time. It's been part of English vernacular since the 19th century. The concept is a core social value in Asian cultures, among others. The meaning has remained stable across time. Saving Face signifies a desire—or defines a strategy—to avoid humiliation or embarrassment, to maintain dignity or preserve reputation.

Rose did it out of respect to her elder boyfriend so the vendor wouldn't think he was too stupid to know the currency....

Twenty lashes for me.  Not familiar with the customs and currency of certain countries.  I meant no disrespect to the culture. 😪

• Love 3

Rosemarie shares a one room apartment with a thin mat on the floor for a bed, has no toilet and washes her clothes by hand in a basin....so how can she afford a cell phone?  And internet service? Sorry, but I have a difficult time feeling sorry for her after she pretty much admitted she wants kids with Ed because he’s “rich.”  Did anyone else notice that TLC blurred out the Tide laundry detergent she was using?

I’m confused...are there 2 Usmans?  Is one of his roommates also named Usman?

Edited by Phoebe70
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Twenty lashes for me.  Not familiar with the customs and currency of certain countries.  I meant no disrespect to the culture. 😪

I can see where the optics are bad.  And I think that TLC purposefully tried to leave that impression with the preview to promote the golddigger narrative.  

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, RealReality said:

I can see where the optics are bad.  And I think that TLC purposefully tried to leave that impression with the preview to promote the golddigger narrative.  

Thank you.  That’s exactly what it looked like. 😀

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Phoebe70 said:

Rosemarie shares a one room apartment with a thin mat on the floor for a bed, has no toilet and washes her clothes by hand in a basin....so how can she afford a cell phone?  And internet service? Sorry, but I have a difficult time feeling sorry for her after she pretty much admitted she wants kids with Ed because he’s “rich.”  Did anyone else notice that TLC blurred out the Tide laundry detergent she was using?

Yes there are two Usmans.  Maybe it’s as common as Mike or John is here.

• Useful 3
22 hours ago, gavinmac said:

No.  Here are the stats for K-a visas issued in 2017. Something like 20-25% of all K-1 visas issued worldwide are issued but the US embassy in the Philippines. Vietnam is a very, very distant second. I think, off the top of my head, we have had 90 day fiance contestants from all of these 15 countries except Vietnam, China, and Canada.  My guess is that a Canadian + American couple would be too boring for the show. And I also think a lot of the Vietnamese and Chinese K-1 visa holders marry Vietnamese-Americans and Chinese-Americans, so there's less "culture clash" in the relationship and that makes such couples less interesting.

Yes, most people that apply for the fiance visa are from the country of the person they are bringing over and are 100% committed to getting married. This show is interesting because of the inevitable culture clash conflict.

Phone plans are very cheap in the Phillipines. Most people get a prepaid phone card. Internet is super duper slow. I think it's the fast internet that makes phone plans in the US so $$$. Rose may have a phone, but it's not like she's paying for high speed internet, which would be more than she makes a month. She probably has to go to internet cafes to use the internet and pay more for that.

Is Yolanda for real? I feel like that relationship is done and over, and it's scripted now to "recreate" what happened before. Or something. Nothing seems real about it. 

Edited by bravofan27
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Phoebe70 said:

Well don't be surprised like much of the world the cell phone is a basic necessity now for communication and some extent paying digitally. and they are transitioning from pay as you go relatively cheaply with friends and family sending "load" or data money digitally to the phone  to more unlimited plans that most Americans I think have.

Well they blurred the Tide because Tide didn't pay. But her sister's store would sell single use packets to  the neighborhood. While poor the nation is very brand name concious.

Living on a mattress with a small room and a pale to flush the toilet is the  lower middle class. A little higher on the scale would see her, or her sister in this case with a bed and a domestic servant living in much the conditions that they are now.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

How sad for Lisa! He basically said he isn’t attracted to her but he was going to just focus on them having the proper anatomy to use! He will definitely have the lights off!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, sonder said:

How sad for Lisa! He basically said he isn’t attracted to her but he was going to just focus on them having the proper anatomy to use! He will definitely have the lights off!

This is a 2 bag situation....

One bag to cover Lisa’s head and face and most importantly the second bag to cover Usman One’s head and face in case Lisa’s bag slips off while bumping uglies.

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

I love Usman and his 2 friends are awesome! Some of his friends comments killed me. I mean they were disgusting tonguing each other in the back seat. I'm in for those 2 Nigerian guys though, they are a hoot. 

They could be on Pillow Talk!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, Phoebe70 said:

You're applying American phone prices and plan prices to costs in the Philippines. They're not comparable; it's MUCH cheaper there. Standard of living is also different. I see others have explained this, but I figured I'd throw my hat into the ring as well.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

You're applying American phone prices and plan prices to costs in the Philippines. They're not comparable; it's MUCH cheaper there. Standard of living is also different. I see others have explained this, but I figured I'd throw my hat into the ring as well.

I agree - I looked up a hotel near Rose's hometown and a very nice one was going for $30 or so a night, when a comparable one here would be around $100.  Forget upgrading to a place with a servant - I want a bed, running water and a toilet, thanks!

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree - I looked up a hotel near Rose's hometown and a very nice one was going for $30 or so a night, when a comparable one here would be around $100.  Forget upgrading to a place with a servant - I want a bed, running water and a toilet, thanks!

The running water part depends upon a city to build in the infrastructure. My father in law was the equivalent of a Colonel in a law enforcement agency and lived across the street from a Supreme Court justice yet their subdivision depended upon a water truck to refill the households reservoir tanks. You add  luxuries to your life where you can. being early adapters to cell phones add other uses beyond talking  in comparison to Americans was one of those areas.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/9/2020 at 9:43 AM, SevenCostanza said:

Rosemarie reminds me of Hazel and Jenny (yes love).  I give her points for acting as happy as she did when she first saw Ed.  He's a lot shorter than he told her,  looked greasy and sweaty and his outfit was odd.  I guess the sister said it best "He's rich so I don't care" or something like that.

I don't know why Darcey and Tom are on this season other than to show more of Darcey crying and getting upset. 

If the Yolanda story wasn't scripted then she's a moron.

I forget their names but the girl with the small child that's going to Australia.  That guy had major crazy eyes.  Also his business seems shady.

So next week we get the next catfish.  An old guy with dyed hair spending money on someone he'll never meet.

I felt sorry for the girl with Ed. You would have to be dirt poor to agree to be with him. He should have spent the money on some plastic surgery on his neck. If he did that, and quit puting mayonnaise on his hair, he probably wouldn't look so bad.  I hate to say get plastic surgery, but that look is partially but holds people back.  And instead of flying across the world and/or sending $5000 worth of presents, use it on plastic surgery  I still can't believe that he had somebody marry him and then he cheated on her. He is so dirty looking, he is repulsive.

Edited by antfitz
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

And then they can sign the young woman who lived in a small town that had the BEST apples in the world!!!!  After all, I believe she did not sign a record deal once she was eliminated from American Idol (obviously I have forgotten her name...).  Oh, and we previously had the boy band(er) who wanted to go to Chicago (I guess when too many seasons have passed I just don't remember anyone's name [hope it's not my age catching upto me...]).

The guy’s name was Yamir. Can’t remember that annoying ass girls name though. 

Usman Two A.K.A. House Lady:So, Soja Boy how was the sex with Lisa A.K.A. GrandMother?

Ahmed A.K.A. Giant: Were you able to overcome her looks, her mushy tummy, flat butt, her wrinkled face and manly aggressive manner to perform the sex?

Usman A.K.A. Soja Boy: I felt I was in a Hollywood movie...you know that bus movie Speed with Keanu and Miss Bullock? 
Usman Two and Giant: Yes, of course. Keanu was better in the Matrix...

Soja Boy: Listen to me...It was like I was under that big, hot, over heated bus like in the movie.

The heaving bus was the vibrating and shaking, I was so afraid for my life.

Scary noises...Sounds I have never heard.

I shut my eyes tight.
Then an octopus started grabbing me all over, I tried to protect myself but my hands kept getting pulled away and slapped....I tried to fight but I was not strong enough...

Then silence and stillness.

I opened one eye to peek....

You know that Stars War movie with Miss Leia in the bikini?

Usman Two and Giant: Yes! That was a good movie...

Soja Boy: I looked over and I was in bed with the Jabba...I shut my eyes again because it was not a pretty sight....

I tried to crawl out of the sheets but the octopus grabbed me again.....When it was over the second time, I was able to get away because she went to the K.F.C.

Usman 2 and Giant: The  K.F.C. has good biscuits....fluffy.....

• LOL 10
On 3/4/2020 at 8:13 AM, mamadrama said:

=

Or the time when my friend's house caught on fire and they lost EVERYTHING, including the baby and the toddler. They needed soap, shampoo, underwear, toothbrushes...you know, basic stuff. Money for the girls'funeral...My other friend, however, wanted to give the surviving teenagers PROM DRESSES. It was September. She said "having something pretty to wear will make them feel good". Yeah, well, so would toothpaste. Like WHERE the hell are they going to wear those to? More importantly, where are they going to store them? Their house was gone and they were temporarily staying in a homeless shelter... Completely out of touch.

OMG, your poor friend and her family.  I cannot even imagine how you move on after that.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I fully agree that he could do SOME things to improve his outward appearance - weight loss, better haircut, shaving.  He also should not have cheated on his wife, and he should have told Rose the truth about his (lack of) height.

When they were professing their love for each other and talking about what they wanted out of life, he should’ve mentioned that he was done having children. Pretty much every single one of these people who want to immigrate to the US are determined to pop out a kid or two to solidify their stake in the American Dream.  

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Raja said:

Living on a mattress with a small room and a pale to flush the toilet is the  lower middle class. A little higher on the scale would see her, or her sister in this case with a bed and a domestic servant living in much the conditions that they are now.

I’m wondering, if Rosemarie is living in a “lower middle class” environment, is “lower class” basically out on the street?  She is frightfully thin but she has fabulous skin and hair that I can tell from the TV screen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I fully agree that he could do SOME things to improve his outward appearance - weight loss, better haircut, shaving.  He also should not have cheated on his wife, and he should have told Rose the truth about his (lack of) height.  She already knew about his neck issue, and was willing to meet with him in spite of how it looks.

He can't help his neck. He has a physical deformity called Klippel Feil Syndrome.  His neck vertebrae are fused or deformed, so he doesn't have as much length in his neck bones as most people.  It would be like expecting people with other bone deformities to fix the outside so they wouldn't be physically unattractive.  Some things just can't be fixed by plastic surgery.

Sometimes, we have to just play the hand we're dealt.  

For me it's not so much his appearance, as, well, just him being him.

Edited by gonecrackers
forgot an 'h'
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Evelin.  The other singer not his partner.

Evelyn with a Y was the woman in New England who was the singer. She married David from Spain.

Evelin with an i was from Colombia and married Corey who she met at the World Cup. 

Edited by BallisticNikki
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, antfitz said:

I felt sorry for the girl with Ed. You would have to be dirt poor to agree to be with him. He should have spent the money on some plastic surgery on his neck. If he did that, and quit puting mayonnaise on his hair, he probably wouldn't look so bad.  I hate to say get plastic surgery, but that look is partially but holds people back.  And instead of flying across the world and/or sending $5000 worth of presents, use it on plastic surgery  I still can't believe that he had somebody marry him and then he cheated on her. He is so dirty looking, he is repulsive.

As stated above, it's a congenital difference in his spine and other parts.

So I hate to be insensitive but I'm wondering why he doesn't focus his attn on mtg a woman w a disability or congenital difference. Wouldn't he feel less "unattractive" if he stopped measuring himself against typical-bodied ppl? Wouldn't he feel less judged and more confident? I know he wants the young hottie, as a lot of ppl do (especially men). But is it worth the insecurity and nagging feeling you're just paying for someone to who is out of your league to be with you? 

I'm not saying being typical-bodied means a person is better. I'm just saying this based on what he has shared about not feeling good enough for her.

There are dating sites for ppl w/ physical differences. There are support groups. There are drs offices and physical therapy centers. Plus just real life. He has never encountered anyone w/ a physical difference he was attracted to?

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 3/9/2020 at 6:42 PM, KateHearts said:

They try to be... but everything is pleather and fake knockoffs people shill in the alleys of NYC.

I was embarrassed for Yolanda when she was trying to figure out where William went and said, "I'm gon' jump on the 'gram!"  

Have you been to NYC's Canal Street?  Knock-Off Central, and it ain't no alley! 

https://www.villagevoice.com/2016/05/18/knockoff-another-day-at-the-office-on-canal-street-with-counterfeit-vendors/

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Useful 1
On 3/9/2020 at 7:36 PM, gavinmac said:

I think there are three reasons why they always meet at the airport looking and smelling all sweaty and disgusting.

1. They're on a TV show that requires them to meet at the airport for dramatic effect.

2. The Americans on this show are not "suave" and smooth enough to know they will make a better impression after a nap.

3. (Perhaps most importantly). The Americans on this show are not sophisticated international travelers and could easily run into difficulty getting from international airport to their hotel alone.  Years ago, oil companies flying workers into airports in Nigeria used to take extreme security measures so that their workers didn't get kidnapped at the airport. Like the workers were told  "A Nigerian contact will greet you holding a sign with your name on it, but don't go  with him unless he also says this secret password, so you can be sure your contact wasn't murdered by thugs who stole his sign with your name on it so they could greet you at the airport and kidnap you."

I recall meeting an Australian guy who worked for DHL in Nigeria who said "If you don't have someone to meet you at Lagos airport, you're f*cked."

I've only taken a taxi from Benin to Lagos Airport, not from Lagos Airport, but it would be terrifying for a white American redneck lady to just land there and try to get a taxi on her own to the hotel. At a minimum, she'd want a hotel car/shuttle to pick her up. But some dude could see her in the arrivals hall and say "Your hotel car is this way, follow me" and then she'd end up getting fleeced/robbed.

Moscow and Manila airports also aren't free from scammers and dodgy characters.  These naive, socially inept Americans who are prepared to propose marriage to people they haven't met need a lot of handholding should not be allowed out of foreign airports alone.

Heck, even James Bond had an attempt made on him at the Kingston, Jamaica, airport, ca. 1962! Heh. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BallisticNikki said:

Evelyn with a Y was the woman in New England who was the singer. She married David from Spain.

Evelin with an i was from Colombia and married Corey who she met at the World Cup. 

No one thinks the one with Corey is a singer.  These people with their cutesy alternate spellings.

1 hour ago, BallisticNikki said:

As stated above, it's a congenital difference in his spine and other parts.

So I hate to be insensitive but I'm wondering why he doesn't focus his attn on mtg a woman w a disability or congenital difference. Wouldn't he feel less "unattractive" if he stopped measuring himself against typical-bodied ppl? Wouldn't he feel less judged and more confident? I know he wants the young hottie, as a lot of ppl do (especially men). But is it worth the insecurity and nagging feeling you're just paying for someone to who is out of your league to be with you? 

I'm not saying being typical-bodied means a person is better. I'm just saying this based on what he has shared about not feeling good enough for her.

There are dating sites for ppl w/ physical differences. There are support groups. There are drs offices and physical therapy centers. Plus just real life. He has never encountered anyone w/ a physical difference he was attracted to?

There are plenty of disabled people in relationships with non-disabled people.  Would you make that argument about race as well?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Spike said:

No one thinks the one with Corey is a singer.  These people with their cutesy alternate spellings.

And a lot of folks who have heard Evelyn (the one with David) don't think she's a singer either.

😉

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Colfrmb2 said:

I’m wondering, if Rosemarie is living in a “lower middle class” environment, is “lower class” basically out on the street?  She is frightfully thin but she has fabulous skin and hair that I can tell from the TV screen.

Her dad was shown as a tricycle taxi driver and her sister had the small place and store. As long as Rose isn't something like a meth addict  someone in her extended  family will normally make room. And if not for her Prince would be taken in.

• Love 3

Ed creeped me outside when he showed off the lace lingerie he was bringing as a gift. Ugh, gross!! Also the girly pics all over his walls are pathetic for a man his age. 

I would be disgusted if a man i was meeting for the first time offered me such a "gift". It is of absolutely no use to her, it is all for eds own sick enjoyment. But maybe she can sell it or use to entice a man who is worthy of her time. THAT would be poetic justice if she used it to find a new man, lol.

I agree that ed is no chick magnet but in fact is a chick maggot. Can we also agree that ash is not a relationship coach but instead is more like relationship roach?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8