Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: Clouds

• Start Topic

On 2/26/2020 at 1:06 PM, qtpye said:

This is how you talk to Kate

"Kate, you are the most amazing wonderful person in the whole world and I love you to death (though you have done nothing to earn this loyalty or friendship) but maaaaybe....you should think of someone else's feelings than your own'?

Kate looked great at the lunch...Madison was dressed like an old lady.

Actually thought that Kate looked like a set of living drapes or shower curtains in that dress.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, Higgins said:

That would be unlikely IRL. He wouldn't need hospitalization for panic attacks. I am an inpatient Psychiatric RN. Hospitalization is for people who are a danger to themselves and or others.

I don't pretend to know much about these things IRL, but in story, he was huddled in a corner, crying and unable to function. Beth mentioned (if I'm remembering correctly) that at least once (can't recall if it was this time) his anxiety was so severe, he couldn't see (was effectively blind). So maybe he wasn't in imminent danger of committing suicide, but he was in danger. And in story, they mentioned a psychiatrist, so it isn't the first time that Randall has talked to someone as these past few episodes have implied. That's all I'm saying.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 4

Rebecca told Randall early on that it wasn’t his job to worry about the family.  I think she would be devastated to find out he considered spending time with her a duty or burden.

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 3

My siblings and I always had to do report cards at the same time. It was very clear what low expectations they had for my stepsister versus me. I was the A student, my middle sister made B's, oldest sister got C's, and stepsister would get basically a shopping spree if she managed to pass a single class.

We would get punished for not meeting our personal high bar, as opposed to all 4 needing A's. 

I do NOT recommend this, because it forced us in these boxes. I couldn't screw up or phone it in without being grounded for a grade that could earn my oldest sister a new car.

The reason we had this public report card review was for one reason only; to make sure no one hid their grades from the parents the day report cards came in.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't pretend to know much about these things IRL, but in story, he was huddled in a corner, crying and unable to function. Beth mentioned (if I'm remembering correctly) that at least once (can't recall if it was this time) his anxiety was so severe, he couldn't see (was effectively blind). So maybe he wasn't in imminent danger of committing suicide, but he was in danger. And in story, they mentioned a psychiatrist, so it isn't the first time that Randall has talked to someone as these past few episodes have implied. That's all I'm saying.

I think that all speaks to the severity of the anxiety. It cripples him when it builds up too much. We did see him at that follow-up appointment after his breakdown after William died. He thought he was doing well, so did the doctor apparently, and then when things built up again, he thought running would take care of it, the way Jack taught him. This time he hasn't gone blind or huddled in a corner, but finally acknowledged (after the promptings of others and then Beth) that he needed more help.  I think he is showing a progression, from thinking he can handle it on his own. It's why I don't think he's some horrible jerk for being imperfect in his first appointment. He wasn't great, but he's showing up. Kevin was similar -- he thought he could handle his pain on his own without talking to anyone, until he had a DUI and public impairment, then he accepted that he needed rehab and therapy.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Alice Mudgarden said:

Forgive me if someone mentioned this earlier in the thread and I didn't see it (low tablet battery atm) but, and maybe it's because I basically adore Kevin, the most telling - and heartbreaking - thing in the report card scene wasn't that they basically "yeah yeah yeah"-ed reading Kevin's report card, but how after they did, Rebecca reads out loud "needs to be the center of attention".

Gosh, I wonder why?! That really bugged me. You’d think any halfway decent excuse for a parent would be wondering WHY he needs to be the center of attention and FFS ask him about it, but Dumbass Rebecca just blows right by it so she can hurry up and deal with her obvious favorite. And Jack was no better — all he cared about was his “Katiegirl” (IDK why, but that nickname is almost as irritating as “Bug”).

• Love 11
16 hours ago, Quiet1 said:

I was thinking that was cheap too, but in the past he received 14 packs for about $8 and each pack had a bunch of cards so just one card now I can see being just $2 as long as it wasn't a rare card. 

I thought it was 4 packs at $2.00 each, not 14.

1 minute ago, CarpeFelis said:

I thought it was 4 packs at $2.00 each, not 14.

I re-watched earlier and he actually bought 16 packs, so 50 cents each pack. Rebecca was encouraging him and mentioned he still had 14 packs left to open. I must have picked up the 14 number from that. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, smartymarty said:

That was not his job! He's the child, Rebecca was the parent. Randall self-appointed himself as her helper when it should have been the other way around. And he's brought this "duty" into adulthood, ignoring not just his other siblings, but his mother's husband!! I find Randall very narcissistic in his "only I can save everybody."

This. And Rebecca should never have allowed him to do that, especially his not going to the university he’d been so excited about in order to stay in Pittsburgh for her sake.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

Rebecca told Randall early on that it wasn’t his job to worry about the family.  I think she would be devastated to find out he considered spending time with her a duty or burden.

And yet she’s allowed him to do it anyway (I mean teen Randall who changed his choice of college to stay with her, not adult Randall who she can’t allow/disallow to do anything).

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Quiet1 said:

I re-watched earlier and he actually bought 16 packs, so 50 cents each pack. Rebecca was encouraging him and mentioned he still had 14 packs left to open. I must have picked up the 14 number from that. 

Ah! Thanks. I was probably concentrating more on my knitting than on the show.

I wasn't looking forward to this episode but I ended up enjoying it. I thought it was going to pretty much only center around Randall but I feel like we still saw plenty of Kevin and Kate. 

I have always been really annoyed by Madison but I am thinking she is baby mama and I'm starting to warm up to it a little bit. It could be a false set up from the writers but all signs seem to be pointing to her right now. You never know though. I was glad that Madison spoke up for Toby, Kate needed to hear that. I understand where Kate is coming from as well but everyone deals with life's difficulties differently and Toby just needed more time. (And hopefully therapy) Overall, I enjoyed Kate and Madison's scene. I kept trying to peep in on what they were eating at brunch and I couldn't tell! Some kind of fancy quinoa breakfast bowl maybe? 

I loved seeing Jack grow up using the music studio. Really sweet and it makes me excited for their family story line. It did freak me out a little that Kate is absent in the clips of older Jack but it could ultimately mean nothing expect that he doesn't want his Mom in there as he gets older. 

I was annoyed with Randall as well but I'm glad he went back to the therapist at the end. I have mixed feelings about her so far but sometimes bluntness is what someone like Randall needs. He needs to realize that he is not the end all in keeping the family together. He doesn't need to control everything especially since it is unraveling him. 

I enjoyed the scenes with Kevin and Rebecca. I'm glad they got some good quality time together. I think Kevin is finally realizing what an amazing mother he has, just like Kate when Rebecca came to the retreat with her. Neither Jack or Rebecca were perfect parents but they loved their kids and tried hard to give them a great life. 

I was so sad when Rebecca got her Alzheimer's diagnosis. My Grandma had it and it's absolutely devastating. Not looking forward to seeing it progress on the show. I also appreciated how much you could feel Miguel's love for Rebecca. He really, really cares for her and you could just feel his heartbreak once they heard the news. 

Solid episode. 

• Love 6

One of the things I do not like about the idea of Kevin and Madison is that she is too immature for him, from what we've seen of her.  She's a great friend to Kate and seems sincere and sweet, but I think Kevin needs someone less flighty and more mature to balance him out.  I actually liked him with Zoe because she challenged him (in good ways), and I think he needs that.

Another thing I do not like about the idea of Kevin and Madison is the nepotism angle: it seems like the show is forcing this pairing because Dan Fogelman wants his wife to have a bigger role.  That annoys me.  A lot.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

One of the things I do not like about the idea of Kevin and Madison is that she is too immature for him, from what we've seen of her.  She's a great friend to Kate and seems sincere and sweet, but I think Kevin needs someone less flighty and more mature to balance him out.  I actually liked him with Zoe because she challenged him (in good ways), and I think he needs that.

Another thing I do not like about the idea of Kevin and Madison is the nepotism angle: it seems like the show is forcing this pairing because Dan Fogelman wants his wife to have a bigger role.  That annoys me.  A lot.

I don't think a Kevin and a Zoe would ever last. Kevin wouldn't keep her interest.

• Love 1

I just love the person Kevin has been growing into. Whoda thunk he’d turn into the rock of the family? Helping Uncle Nicky, being the strong one for Rebecca when she just wanted to run away. Loved seeing him come through like that. I literally gasped when they announced the Alzheimer’s diagnosis. Such a devastating thing on so many levels. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Yes, but Judy Collins might not have had an old house in LA that they could go sneak into.  They might have had to take one of the patented TIU road trips to Denver or Seattle or somewhere. /snark

Snark?  It the truth!  😄  You do know your Judy Collins.  Thinking back, there's been many times songwriters have written for other artists to record first, but how unusual was that to happen to this song in one year after the other ('68 and '69).

So its looking like the rift could happen because Randall and Kevin might disagree with Rebecca's treatment, maybe Kevin wants to give her more time for fun while she can have it, while Randall wants really aggressive treatment right away? Then he cant deal with him not being the sibling who is the responsible one that is on top of everything (especially losing the title to flaky Kevin) with Rebecca's treatment, especially with Rebecca, who he is especially close with. Then things get personal in the way that family fights can get (Randall throws Kevin's drug addiction at him, Kevin calls Randall selfish) and the rift begins. I guess Kate takes Kevin's side, which just pissed Randall off more, who has always been a bit sensitive about being the odd sibling out with Kevin and Kate being bio siblings. Hopefully it wont last too terribly long. 

11 hours ago, Wouldofshouldof said:

I think it's possible they haven't shown future Kate because she would be the same weight as present Kate, and the goal is to have Chrissy Metz lose weight over time (when the show premiered it was revealed it's a part of her contract). To date she's lost over 100 lbs.

I had no idea she’d lost so much weight but if I compare S1/S4 I suspect I’ll see it.  

12 hours ago, Wouldofshouldof said:

I think it's possible they haven't shown future Kate because she would be the same weight as present Kate, and the goal is to have Chrissy Metz lose weight over time (when the show premiered it was revealed it's a part of her contract). To date she's lost over 100 lbs.

I’ve never seen her to appear to have lost weight.  I think she’s actually larger now.

• Love 11
17 hours ago, kili said:

Plus, he's dismissive of other people's skills. Kevin's acting. Beth's dancing. The therapist's therapy skills. He's holding the family together because only his skills matter.  Rebecca and Jack never corrected him on this.

That's true, even the move was all about him at first. He did things impulsively and acted like the "savior" of everyone.

I feel even with each other and not formal therapy, the fire ended it for good communication. Kevin ran off prematurely (not that I blame him for wanting to get away) Kate ate her issues and Randall became the glue that he felt kept his mom safe.  I think he kept down his anger at the crock pot fire (it was preventable) and anything he couldn't control, he tried too even more than before.

I like the show, but everyone seems friendless, even a mention of one. I realize to show one always is casting and money, but Rebecca mentioning a friend to have lunch with, Kate having a friend who also is a little lost, something. Did Rebecca go to a grief group, have therapy to not have her lean too hard on Randall? She's smart and we see strong, Jack never let her spread her wings too far, but she never seemed weak to me.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cameron said:

Totally agree.  Watched her at the Oscars 2020 and she looked larger than ever.

She's smaller, a lot smaller. But there is a possibility she is being padded (or dressed unflatteringly) for very public appearances and episodes. Her personal instagram shows a much smaller Chrissy. I linked to what I posted last week for comparison photos. I imagine it will take over 150 pounds lost before the show allows viewers to see her transformation. Slow weight loss is far too normal for a show that loves to make a jaw drop.

They padded Chris Sullivan until he became too fit to believe that belly was his, you can see in his face that he was much larger in season one (regardless of padding).

• Love 1
On 2/26/2020 at 9:10 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I thought the baseball card was $200 too.  It's an old card, no way is it going for just two bucks.  We see Kevin not only completing his collection, but now being able to easily afford it - in cash!

Present Kevin didn’t complete his collection. He bought the card for the memory. Pre-teen Kevin and Rebecca completed the collection, which I assume burned in the fire.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I find it hard to imagine that Chrissy would agree to appear on The Oscars in padding, just to keep a possible reveal months/years down the road a surprise. Sure, they did it with Toby, but it was never any secret that the actor was padded for the role.

• Love 13
44 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I find it hard to imagine that Chrissy would agree to appear on The Oscars in padding, just to keep a possible reveal months/years down the road a surprise. Sure, they did it with Toby, but it was never any secret that the actor was padded for the role.

And a lot of the thinner pictures of her are her photoshopped on Melissa McCarthy's body.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

I just love the person Kevin has been growing into. Whoda thunk he’d turn into the rock of the family? Helping Uncle Nicky, being the strong one for Rebecca when she just wanted to run away. Loved seeing him come through like that. I literally gasped when they announced the Alzheimer’s diagnosis. Such a devastating thing on so many levels. 

I agree but he is the only one with the kind of free/flexible time and money to take on things like Uncle Nicky and Rebecca.    Kate and Randall have their own families to take care of and Randall has what seems to be a demanding job.    Kevin does movies for a few months, gets a paycheck worth a year (plus residuals from The Manny) so he has the freedom to do these things and I'm both happy and surprised he has become the guy that not only takes it on, but enjoys doing it.    Isn't that what made him decide he wanted his own family with responsibilities?  

• Love 5
On 2/26/2020 at 8:32 AM, icemiser69 said:

I don't think he was being an asshole.  I think he was being understandably defensive.  He is talking to a stranger that happens to be a therapist.   How many people are going to be able to go to a therapist the first day and pour their heart out?   Not many people.  

Understandably defensive?  He chose to go to therapy to get help. He wasn't forced to get help.  I mean, I get being defensive later down the road, but your first appointment? The appointment you barely scratch the surface.  And most people don't go into speechified speech their very first time at a therapist's office, which is why once again this show gets completely unrealistic.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 1

And most people don't go into speechified speech their very first time at a therapist's office, which is why once again this show gets completely unrealistic.

Given the show's characters propensity to speechify at the drop of a hat, with Randall specifically being so prone to it even other characters have commented on it - I would argue that it would be unrealistic at this point if Randall had not tried speechifying during his first visit.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Fair.

“ goal is to have Chrissy Metz lose weight over time (when the show premiered it was revealed it's a part of her contract). To date she's lost over 100 lbs.”

She looks to me like she’s gained at least 50 pounds, if not more.  If she has lost weight but they want to surprise us later by padding her now, I find it hard to believe that she would be willing to let them make her look even worse now than she did in the past. I agree with whoever said she looked like she was wearing living room drapes or shower curtains when she had brunch with Madison!

I find “Our House” a lovely song, but not a fan of Mandy’s singing.  And am liking Madison more this season, would not be unhappy to see her and Kevin end up together.  They would make beautiful babies!!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kili said:

Given the show's characters propensity to speechify at the drop of a hat, with Randall specifically being so prone to it even other characters have commented on it - I would argue that it would be unrealistic at this point if Randall had not tried speechifying during his first visit.

That's a very good point!

This show could insert some realism if the reason he was upset when she asked about his mom and dug in is because he has unrealized anger to her for keeping his father a secret, even after he found his dad.  The one episode of anger doesn't compute to me.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 4

Maybe, this show is really starting to get to me, because, seeing Kevin driving around in a car is starting to turn me on. lol  Omg, he's so sexy in the driver seat of a car.  I"m not sure why I didn't notice this before.  Maybe, because, he used to be a pretty big jerk at times, but, now I find him pretty hot.  I first noticed it when he was in the car with Sophie. Oh, I'm referring to adult Kevin, not teen or newly married Kevin, who looked like a child playing dress up.  lol  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

This show could insert some realism if the reason he was upset when she asked about his mom and dug in is because he has unrealized anger to her for keeping his father a secret, even after he found his dad.  

That's certainly the obvious source of anger when it comes to Rebecca but I think they hashed that out IIRC. But the other more deeply buried source is resentment for having to be the one to keep the family together because she was too weak and all the pressure that put on him. And to reiterate that's not exactly what happened but that's his perspective though he's barely willing to acknowledge it - hence the anger. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Present Kevin didn’t complete his collection. He bought the card for the memory. Pre-teen Kevin and Rebecca completed the collection, which I assume burned in the fire.

Oh, I see.  I thought maybe Teen Kevin had either lost or traded the Johnny card but still had the other cards in the collection and had wanted to get it again now as an adult.

I didn't see this mentioned, but I'm thinking the flash-forward rift is a fake-out. During his therapy session - right before he was set off, or maybe during his rant - Randall says that the family will fall apart without him, and the therapist asks him if he's sure about that.

I'm wondering if maybe that's something the therapist has him work on - spend x amount of time not in contact with your family. After that time when he reaches out he'll realize that everyone will be okay - one less thing for him to worry or stress about.

It might also explain Kevin's irritated "we're not talking to Randall" - Rebecca was just missing for a little bit, and he might feel the pressure to step up / doesn't want to be seen as unreliable. And also why everyone but Randall is together - with a real rift I'd be surprised that no one sided with Randall to the point of excluding him from the birthday.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 2/27/2020 at 2:25 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

I think there may a disconnect on this board to what 'hospitization' and 'danger' is.

Has Randall ever been actually admitted for anxiety?  I can buy an emergency department visit, but unless I'm forgetting something I dont recall a inpatient psychiatric admission.

In danger?  Yes, he's had major attacks that have left him in a bad way but nothing that comes close to being labeled dangerous.  Psychiatric beds are extremely hard to come by.  Many places have patients waiting in emergency departments 2 and 3 days just to get an opening for admission.  And these are the TRULY dangerous.  The person who fought 6 cops because the CIA was poisoning his morning coffee.  The naked woman standing in a busy intersection.  The homeless guy rambling 300 words a minute on absolutely nothing.  Randall would get an antianxiety prescription and an outpatient referral.  How far he chose to go with that would be up to him.  

I'm sure he wouldn't commute to Alpine NJ from Philly to see his old psychiatrist

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Kirkydee said:

I think there may a disconnect on this board to what 'hospitization' and 'danger' is.

Has Randall ever been actually admitted for anxiety?  I can buy an emergency department visit, but unless I'm forgetting something I dont recall a inpatient psychiatric admission.

In danger?  Yes, he's had major attacks that have left him in a bad way but nothing that comes close to being labeled dangerous.  Psychiatric beds are extremely hard to come by.  Many places have patients waiting in emergency departments 2 and 3 days just to get an opening for admission.  And these are the TRULY dangerous.  The person who fought 6 cops because the CIA was poisoning his morning coffee.  The naked woman standing in a busy intersection.  The homeless guy rambling 300 words a minute on absolutely nothing.  Randall would get an antianxiety prescription and an outpatient referral.  How far he chose to go with that would be up to him.  

I'm sure he wouldn't commute to Alpine NJ from Philly to see his old psychiatrist

They didn't really say whether or not he was admitted after the last breakdown,  but he was clearly under the care of a psychiatrist, since Beth made Randall seek their approval before his road trip with William. The point is, this is not the first time he's had counseling, which is what it seems they are trying to imply.

He's also gone blind from anxiety in the past, and beat the crap out of a guy a few days ago while dealing with the effects of the break in. A mugger, sure  but one he already had subdued. Those seem like potentially dangerous repercussions to me. I don't suppose they'd warrant intervention in the real world, but this is tv, where either ignoring consequences entirely or a 72 hour psych hold are legit dramatic responses,  lol.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Natalie25 said:

I didn't see this mentioned, but I'm thinking the flash-forward rift is a fake-out. During his therapy session - right before he was set off, or maybe during his rant - Randall says that the family will fall apart without him, and the therapist asks him if he's sure about that.

I'm wondering if maybe that's something the therapist has him work on - spend x amount of time not in contact with your family. After that time when he reaches out he'll realize that everyone will be okay - one less thing for him to worry or stress about.

It might also explain Kevin's irritated "we're not talking to Randall" - Rebecca was just missing for a little bit, and he might feel the pressure to step up / doesn't want to be seen as unreliable. And also why everyone but Randall is together - with a real rift I'd be surprised that no one sided with Randall to the point of excluding him from the birthday.

It's a possibility, but a rather harsh prescription from a therapist, in my view. It's not just a birthday, it's their 40th, and they also shared that birthday with their father, and their mother has a serious diagnosis. I wouldn't follow that particular advice. Time's a wasting, the window is closing on Rebecca's ability to remember and interact meaningfully. He can easily leave the day-to-day decision making to Miguel and his siblings in California, without cutting off all contact. But I do suspect it's a fake-out in the sense that Randall will end up there anyway. He was calling his mother on the phone she lost, and that alone will bring him on the scene.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't think she's padded.  I DO think the cape on stage at the Oscars (while singing) was a horrible look.  This picture on her Instagram shows a little bit better: the cap made her silhouette look much larger.  And the black on black against a black background really made it worse IMO.  

Red Carpet - pretty sure it's unaltered.  

I'm not saying it's a 100 pounds but she's lost some, I think.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

If there is a rift and Randall shows up on his birthday after Rebecca got lost and needed to be brought home by the police, I fear his feeling of moral superiority will rise exponentially.  I am afraid TPTB may try to answer the question of how much more insufferable can Randall get.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

If there is a rift and Randall shows up on his birthday after Rebecca got lost and needed to be brought home by the police, I fear his feeling of moral superiority will rise exponentially.  I am afraid TPTB may try to answer the question of how much more insufferable can Randall get.

I would hate that.  Silver Alerts happen across the country on an almost daily basis.  No one can watch an adult 24/7 and it will happen to Randall as well.  Not with fulltime jobs, a house to run, kids to raise, etc.  If Rebecca wandered off in a cabin with 4 other adults present,  the she would do the same with just Randall watching her.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Rockstar99435 said:

I loved Kevin's worry about ending up on TMZ for getting arrested when helping his mom break into Joni Mitchell's old house and then commenting that it could actually work for him. 

Well, to be fair, they didn't break into the house...just the yard. And the gate wasn't actually locked. So...trespassing, yes, but "break in" seems inaccurate. 😉

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I totally agree, Ohiopirate, but you know Randall would absolutely go there and think that.

It is well within character for Randall to behave that way, but I hope the writers know better not to take it too far.  We have seen way too many times where Randall gets on his moral high-horse and lambastes a loved one while the Pearson (or Miguel) in question quickly forgives him or even apologizes to Randall.  It is almost becoming painful to watch the family bend over backwards to appease Randall, and this only encourages him to continue behaving that way.  At some point, enough is enough, and I as a viewer don't want to see it.  I don't want to see Kevin(because it is always Kevin) constantly forgive Randall.  

• Love 13