Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Slay Anything

• Start Topic

Freddy Meyers. Appropriate. Though he looked more Doc Brown than Halloween as an Encore. 

I love Nora being annoyed that every kid wants a pony. She was sweet with young Freddy so she’s probably a good fairy godmother to all her kids. 

Sara playing the straight man to Ava’s geeky exuberance was fun. 

Of course Mick went to high school with a serial killer. 

My Zari is still crazy smart and is starting to remember. And thinking an 80s limo is a shared ride, hee. I love her in every timeline. 

Charlie’s back! 

I knew Momma Meyers was a bad guy. No reason to leave out Friday the 13th in this ode to slasher flicks. 

• Love 8

That was a whole lot of fun.  Of course, it's Legends, that's what you expect.

Just a quick shallow note, damn, Tala Ashe has legs.  Had to get that out of the way.

Sara and Ava's joy at being final girls was excellent.  Everything Sara and Ava was good.

Ray got his prom with Nora, and Nate.  Do love how Nora just knows that Nate's part of them.  He's Ray's bro, so it's a package deal.  Also love that Nora admitted that all the Legends were the right people.  She has love for all the Legends.

Nora with Freddy at the end, yeah, Nora's wanting kids.

• Love 6

This story was all over the place. We had stuff on 2004, stuff in 1989, stuff in the current day where we remembered Charlie's existence. And a serial killer is stopped before she actually starts. Why do I have a feeling that will bite the team later this season? Like, when Astra pops the souls from Hell, things get worst if their origins are undone?

I think the person to feel most sorry for is Ava. Turns out she's a serial killer buff with her own podcast (hey, she's got more time on her hands these days), she gets trapped with a serial killer, she becomes the Final Girl (Sara qualifies, but she's been dead three times) . . . but thanks to the B-team, none of that actually happened, and she can't gush about her brief interview with Ma Meyers because she didn't kill anyone. I think she slashed someone, but her reign of terror was undone. On the plus side, Ava had a lot of fun . . . and isn't that the point?

Everyone did great tonight. Well, maybe not Mick, who saw his old girlfriend stabbed and got his heat blast sent back to him . . . but thanks to time travel. he gets the girl in the end. One thing: the reunion takes place in 2004, which means he's sixteen years older than the lucky lady thinks he is. Question: how rough did he look as a teen where someone would buy that he grew up looking like that in the span of fifteen years?

Gary accompanied John . . . why, exactly? At least Charlie got John to face his demons.

37 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

Ray got his prom with Nora, and Nate.  Do love how Nora just knows that Nate's part of them.  He's Ray's bro, so it's a package deal.  Also love that Nora admitted that all the Legends were the right people.  She has love for all the Legends.

Right? I get the criticism about Nate in general, but he can be cute . . . especially with Ray. And Ray drops a horse pun on Nora . . . I'm surprised she didn't smack him for that.

Looks like Zari is getting flashbacks (for lack of a better word) of her other life. Watching her in Zardashian Mode was fun to see, and she got to see Behrad in action. Maybe she can become a Legend as she is.

• Love 1

Favorite episode so far.  Ray and Nora are so cute together it sucks they are leaving while the rushed instalove of Nate/Zari will be rehashed. Love that Mick got some action finally. Shouldve expected the Twist that Freddy's Mom was the actual killer. Nora was really sweet with Freddy and it was cool to see him get the girl. Love the homage to Slasher Flims and John Hughes era Movies. 

• Love 3

This episode was actually fun. Probably because we didn't just focus on Nate and Ava's issues. Some of the other people on the team got to do things. Like Mick meeting up with his high school girlfriend. I hope he keeps in touch with her. 

Although Freddy Myers is a little on the nose. Was his middle name Jason. Did they go with a made up killer so they could change this one? I liked that Zari did have a flash of being a hacker, so her memories are not completely gone. And of course they forget Sara's a horror movie buff so she should've enjoyed this too, but it's still always about Ava's wants and needs. Sara's just there. At least she got to do some fighting. 

I love Nora/Ray, it's too bad they are leaving while the annoying couples Nate/Zari and Sara/Ava get to stay. I liked seeing Charlie and Constantine bond, but their story felt like a different show. 

• Love 6

The opener really didn't wow me, so I am unexpectedly happy to say I really enjoyed this one. I still think the Fairy Godmother stuff was silly, but this was a great use of Nora's character, and Courtney Ford's performance knocked it out for me. I wish she was still part of the regular cast.

Speaking of, Charlie is back, but I find myself missing Amaya every time I see her. They had an episode or two with Charlie last season that were okay, but the character is still too much of a blank slate to get very excited about. (And was that a "blink or you'll miss it" cameo by Ruby Rose?)

Enjoyed the change the past storyline; this is sort of reinforcing the thought I had last ep that the key to defeating Astra will be the team going back in time and fixing Constantine's failure to save her originally. It probably won't be quite that simple (after all, Constantine might not be the rogue we love today if not for that fundamental event).

Behrad had a couple of good moments, although his role in the show (and on the team) still feels really unearned. If he's going to be a regular, they need to do more with him; if not, then he's just killing time until we get the real Zari back.

I liked the Mick story, as usual. "See how important team meetings are?" lol. Kind of surprised that he isn't just as infamous as Fred Myers; after all, he went on to become a notorious thief and super-villain. It would be fun to learn that other villains in the DCU went to the same high school.

• Love 2

I liked how this was different from the past two episodes, in that it wasn't an actual historical figure that was the "encore", but someone who was clearly just a homage to all of the famous serial killer films from the 80s.  I mean, come on: Freddy Meyers!  I'm sure his middle name was Jason!  And the whole prank causing someone to snap Carrie-style.  But I wasn't too surprised that it was all a twist, and Kathy/the mom was the true killer in the end.  I figured they wouldn't cast Beth Riesgraf (Parker from Leverage) and only have her be the overprotective mom for two scenes.

Loved Nora's annoyance over kids always wanting ponies.  Being a Fairy Godmother ain't easy!  But I loved how serious she was to help Freddy, and it was nice for her to see how she did help him as an adult at the end.  Courtney Ford was great here.  And, again, she and Brandon Routh really do have some great chemistry on-screen, which isn't always a given when real life couples.

Ava is definitely way more fun when she is geeking out over serial killer knowledge and referencing her podcast!  And, damn, Sara/Caity Lotz made "my final girl" sound sexy as hell during that dance.

Bummed that we didn't get an actual Young Mick in 89, but I liked everything taking place at the same school he went to.  And he even rekindles the flame (heh) with an old girlfriend!

Glad that Zari got a glimpse of her past life, but I'm still enjoying the current one well enough, and I'm glad she's sticking around as part of the Legends.  Still wouldn't be against them finding a way to keep Behrad around as well, because the actor is winning, and I think there could be some interesting idea and places they could go with both of the sibling as time-travelers.

So, Charlie had snuck over to Constantine's place this entire time.  Their stuff was mainly just a set-up for him preparing to meet Astra's deceased mom, but I'm curious to see where this goes.

Fun episode!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I’m not a fan of horror films, but I did enjoy this. My only disappointment was that we didn’t see 1989 Mick. I wonder if his reunion hookup resulted in a child that we’ll find out about in the future. 

Lol I didnt think about that! That was in 2004 so he would have a 16 year old kid currently. 

7 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

This episode was actually fun. Probably because we didn't just focus on Nate and Ava's issues. Some of the other people on the team got to do things. Like Mick meeting up with his high school girlfriend. I hope he keeps in touch with her. 

Although Freddy Myers is a little on the nose. Was his middle name Jason. Did they go with a made up killer so they could change this one? I liked that Zari did have a flash of being a hacker, so her memories are not completely gone. And of course they forget Sara's a horror movie buff so she should've enjoyed this too, but it's still always about Ava's wants and needs. Sara's just there. At least she got to do some fighting. 

I love Nora/Ray, it's too bad they are leaving while the annoying couples Nate/Zari and Sara/Ava get to stay. I liked seeing Charlie and Constantine bond, but their story felt like a different show. 

Since I think Phil Klemmer kinda sucks and loves his "Stud" Nate too much I wouldnt be surprised if a part of Ray and Nora leaving is cause he only wants 2 couples and one MUST BE Nate and whoever his precious created character is banging with there out of nowhere rushed Instalove that started over Zari straighting his tie 🙄🙄. Wont be surprised if Mick eventually gets written out for his precious Nate to get even more screen time 

• Love 1

One think I caught that I don't think the show had established before: when Nora's work with a particular "godchild" is done, her wand vanishes? But, how did she get to the point that she can apparently pick her charges? Unless it's a "Crisis, just go with it" situation, of course.

And, since I am of that generation, I have to give props to Belinda Carlisle! Great to hear that song show up.

• Love 1

Prom night was fun. Great twist with Kathy being the killer and not her son, Freddy.

Nora's a pretty good fairy godmother and I did like her having a lot more to do this week. Same with Mick, which was nice for a change.

Ava's serial killer fangirling was funny at times. I did laugh at her and Sara having fun as final girls.

Nate had some good one liners this week as did Ray and the Zari/Behrad scenes were good. I like that the show is is seeding the hints for Zari to get her memories back.

Constantine, Gary and Charlie's plot was a little too separate from the main storyline this week but their scenes did work and it'll be interesting to see Astra's mother next week, 8/10

• Love 1

This was a really great episode. For me, better than the last episode. I think because they utilized the right characters and gave everyone, Mick included, something to do.

Finally, Mick gets a love interest! Even just for an episode! It was unexpected, but in the best possible way. I thought that it worked well, and I even gasped when he was literally burned to death. That's when I knew for sure that things would be fixed...but still, they really got me worried for a second. 

Also, if this hook-up is leading to a teenage son or daughter of Mick....I wouldn't complain, actually. It might be kind of funny to see.

Ray/Nora/Nate was a really great trio. Ray and Nora are still super cute, and I LOVE Nora's progression as a character. She had some really fantastic moments. 

Ok, Ava having a serial killer podcast was pretty funny. That worked well for her character, and I enjoyed her excitement over Freddy Meyers. 

Zari/Behrad got some excellent scenes as well. Seeing Zari start to remember worked well. I am loving this new Zari, but I love that we seem to be on our way to blending the old Zari with the new. It helps from last season, when she stopped being a character and more of a love interest for Nate. Now, she got back some of her independence as a character and it's great.

The Charlie/Gary/John stuff was short, but worked in progressing some of John's arc.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

(And was that a "blink or you'll miss it" cameo by Ruby Rose?)

When?

6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I figured they wouldn't cast Beth Riesgraf (Parker from Leverage) and only have her be the overprotective mom for two scenes.

I thought she looked familiar!

21 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

This story was all over the place. We had stuff on 2004, stuff in 1989, stuff in the current day where we remembered Charlie's existence. And a serial killer is stopped before she actually starts. Why do I have a feeling that will bite the team later this season? Like, when Astra pops the souls from Hell, things get worst if their origins are undone?

I think the person to feel most sorry for is Ava. Turns out she's a serial killer buff with her own podcast (hey, she's got more time on her hands these days), she gets trapped with a serial killer, she becomes the Final Girl (Sara qualifies, but she's been dead three times) . . . but thanks to the B-team, none of that actually happened, and she can't gush about her brief interview with Ma Meyers because she didn't kill anyone. I think she slashed someone, but her reign of terror was undone. On the plus side, Ava had a lot of fun . . . and isn't that the point?

Everyone did great tonight. Well, maybe not Mick, who saw his old girlfriend stabbed and got his heat blast sent back to him . . . but thanks to time travel. he gets the girl in the end. One thing: the reunion takes place in 2004, which means he's sixteen years older than the lucky lady thinks he is. Question: how rough did he look as a teen where someone would buy that he grew up looking like that in the span of fifteen years?

Actually, young Mick Rory (along with young Sara Lance) were in Season 1 Episode 12 and there is no freakin' way she could extrapolate Mick from this guy.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3963355/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t115

Edited by ketose
  • Useful 1

"Mom, how did you and Dad get together?"

"Well, kids, I was part of a planned prank to humiliate your father at our prom for no reason other than him being a nerd. I was totally going to go through with it, but then he showed up in a Limo and had a cool suit instead of a dorky brown one, so I had second thoughts."

"Uh ..."

"Then my friends pushed him around and threw a drink on him anyway, and I let him run off alone and upset while I kept hanging out with my asshole friends until your father came back and did a dance number."

"Wait, why did you keeping hanging out wi--"

"Then your grandmother showed up and tried to kill me ..."

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

"Mom, how did you and Dad get together?"

"Well, kids, I was part of a planned prank to humiliate your father at our prom for no reason other than him being a nerd. I was totally going to go through with it, but then he showed up in a Limo and had a cool suit instead of a dorky brown one, so I had second thoughts."

"Uh ..."

"Then my friends pushed him around and threw a drink on him anyway, and I let him run off alone and upset while I kept hanging out with my asshole friends until your father came back and did a dance number."

"Wait, why did you keeping hanging out wi--"

"Then your grandmother showed up and tried to kill me ..."

"What in the world?"

"And then we were saved by the Legends, Nora was your father's Godmother."

"You guys met the Legends?"

4 hours ago, ketose said:

Actually, young Mick Rory (along with young Sara Lance) were in Season 1 Episode 12 and there is no freakin' way she could extrapolate Mick from this guy.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3963355/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t115

Men do look quite a bit different when they age 20+ years and lose all their hair, but I assume Mick carried around some kind of incendiary device in high school that gave him away.

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, ketose said:

Shhh... The first rule of Legends is "We do not talk about Season 1!"  🙂

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 2/12/2020 at 3:07 AM, Cthulhudrew said:

I liked the Mick story, as usual. "See how important team meetings are?" lol. Kind of surprised that he isn't just as infamous as Fred Myers; after all, he went on to become a notorious thief and super-villain. It would be fun to learn that other villains in the DCU went to the same high school.

Well the reunion was in 2004. It's possible that 15 years after HS he wasn't a super-villain yet, his big notoriety is as a Flash villain so we can probably fanwank that he really took off as a super-villain in the 2010-2015 time frame. 

• Love 2

Man, I must be in a grumpy mood since I did not enjoy that (except all the Ray and Nora scenes). I expected more great 80's tracks (probably a budget issue) and I saw Beth Riesgraf's name in the opening credits. You don't get Parker for playing a meek mum in two scenes and that's it - so the twist was not a surprise. Damn, I miss Leverage - no wonder I'm grumpy. Sorry Legends.

Edited by MissLucas
On 2/12/2020 at 7:08 AM, Josh371982 said:

Since I think Phil Klemmer kinda sucks and loves his "Stud" Nate too much I wouldnt be surprised if a part of Ray and Nora leaving is cause he only wants 2 couples and one MUST BE Nate and whoever his precious created character is banging with there out of nowhere rushed Instalove that started over Zari straighting his tie 🙄🙄. Wont be surprised if Mick eventually gets written out for his precious Nate to get even more screen time 

Or, and just throwing this out there, WB terminating Brandon Routh's contract has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the cast and everything to do with the fact that Routh is by far the highest paid member of the cast, hands down, earning by most reports at least three times as much per episode as Dominic Purcell. 

See, also, why Victor Garber and Arthur Darvill are no longer on the show.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, quarks said:

Or, and just throwing this out there, WB terminating Brandon Routh's contract has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the cast and everything to do with the fact that Routh is by far the highest paid member of the cast, hands down, earning by most reports at least three times as much per episode as Dominic Purcell. 

As the "special" effects budget approaches zero, the actors' salaries become more significant.

Also, LoT is at the 5 year mark. That's the point where contract negotiations lead to a big jump in pay for actors on a successful show. The CW used to cancel shows after season 5.

• Love 1

That was my favorite episode of the season so far, it was a ton of fun, I loved the 80s/slasher references, and I really like the idea of them going back to change things for the better to stop echos from wrecking havoc, which also ties well into the plot with Constantine and Astra. 

A much better episode for Ava this week, her fascination with true crime and her serial killer podcast (its entertaining AND informative!) are quite endearing, certainly more than the last few weeks which have really emphasized her more petty side. I do wish that we had gotten more of Sara's previously established love of horror movies, but at least she got a good fight scene, and she got to dance at prom!  

Also interesting to not have a historical character and instead have a big old genre mash up. I mean, his name is Freddy Myers! So many slasher shout outs, like the prom night killings (Prom Night) the dance prank on the unpopular kid (Carrie) creepy white mask (Halloween) telekinetic powers (Carrie again) and, of course, some general genre shout outs, like the Final Girl, and the mom actually being the killer, Friday the 13th Style! What a creepy lady, I can imagine Ava would want to dedicate several more episodes of her podcast just on her creepy fixation on her son alone! This episode also reminded me of the most recent season of American Horror Story, which was also an 80s slasher homage where 

Spoiler

In a twist, the supposed slasher killer was innocent of the rampage but ended up in prison for years for the crime they never committed.

So happy that Nora is back, I love her and Ray so much they're so flipping cute! Nice that, as annoying as Nora finds her Fairy Godmother job, she is taking it seriously and trying to help people, and her using her own terrible past to help Freddy was so sweet. She has had one of the best redemption arcs in the whole Arrowverse, its great to see her doing so well. She even got to go to prom with her boyfriend...as well as her boyfriends boyfriend Nate 😉 

Some nice scenes between Zari and Behrad, and I am glad that they are both going to be sticking around it seems like. I still miss "our" Zari, but this is certainly a better story for her than when she randomly fell in love with Nate out of nowhere, especially now that she is getting her old memories back. So will she end up with memories of herself as a futuristic hacker whos family was murdered as well as the social media influencer who has her whole family right here?

I was hoping to see teen Mick (even if it was a long shot) but I did like his high school girlfriend, and he sure had fun at that reunion! 

Much better than the previous two, which sucked. I'm so annoyed that Mick gets so little to do. As predicted two years ago, I think bringing Constanine in was a big mistake. The creators are more concerned with keeping him - and Nate - on the screen than telling a coherent story with their cast of gold. Beth reusgraf looks so different I didn't recognize her!

I liked seeing Mick with a love interest far more than I thought I would. I love when Mick actually liked people.

I like Ava the podcaster and true crime nerd. She just became a little more relatable to me.

This was fun. Predictable but well-plotted. And I had forgotten about Zari's hacker skills, so it was nice to see that again. 

I don't like Charlie. I miss Amaya. 

Courtney Ford and Brandon Routh cuteness makes everything better. She looks super cute in fairy godmother blue. I like how Nora has become a part of the Legends. I loved all the photo booth posing at the end and how even Zari was getting in on the fun.

On February 13, 2020 at 7:02 PM, quarks said:

Victor Garber and Arthur Darvill left because they wanted to leave.

I never saw any of these reports about BR.

21 hours ago, bettername2come said:

I loved all the photo booth posing at the end and how even Zari was getting in on the fun.

If you look closely, Zari was totally Insta-posing when the other characters were just doing goofy camera booth shots. Nice touch.

• Love 1

It's a shame they didn't have any reason to feature 2004 Mick at the reunion he wouldn't have been caught dead at, as Rob Mayes could be a not-implausible stand in for John Doe era Dominic Purcell, and starring in John Dies at the End certainly would have prepared him for the amount of craziness on this show.

I finally got a chance to see this episode and it was a lot of fun.  Perhaps my favorite so far this season.  I like the way they bounced back and forth between 1989 and 2004.  Also like that since this was a fictional bad guy, they could actually change the past.  Everyone got something to do and it's good to see Nora return for significant time.

I kept seeing people say LoT was the best Arrowverse show now. I remember a very painful season one. I kinda jumped in midway season 4, and of course I had no idea who anyone was or what was going on. I’m up to early season five and I’m really enjoying it, although the huge cast, including the way cast members appear and disappear, gives me whiplash. (What happened to Werewolf girl?)

I like all the characters, except super generic guy (Nate?). I like the random Constantine plots. I love Ava and Sara. I really like the way the tone has shifted to this utterly bananas meta-superhero-satire. (I love Doom Patrol.) The show reminds me a bit of some of the good aspects of The Magicians, especially now that magic is seemingly in the mix. 

40 minutes ago, kieyra said:

I kept seeing people say LoT was the best Arrowverse show now. I remember a very painful season one. I kinda jumped in midway season 4,

You should check out S3, that's when they started leaning more into the wackiness. It's a good season minus the introduction of Nate the generic guy. The S3 finale remains my favorite, even though overall S2 is my favorite season. 

S3 is their most "historical" season, they are not at all accurate but it's fun seeing this shows version of famous historical figures. 

Mona left to take over for Mick, writing romance novels as Rebecca Silver. 

I called Doom Patrol the adult version of Legends. Adult meaning they deal with more adult themes not that the characters act any more adult than the Legends. Lol

• Useful 2
  • Love 1