Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Magic Man

• Start Topic

We return, and with a Gene sighting! I wonder how he is going to get out of his one? I dont think that Jimmy would really enjoy living off the grid in Alaska or something. 

Killing one of the Germans is something that can be explained as a tragic accident. Killing all of them is much harder to explain, much easier just to send them packing with money and a story about Werner dying in an accident. That seems much easier than making a bunch of guys who all knew each other and people back home presumably knew at least the general place they were at all disappear. Thats something I often end up thinking when I see crime shows where the bad guys just kill every single person involved in their schemes, it just seems like less of a hassle to pay people off than risk people finding dead bodies and that leading back to them. Even if they did spill, it fully possible that people wouldn't buy it anyway or there would be no substantial proof of anything. Especially with the German workers and the widow, who are on a totally different continent and will probably not be questioned by police over this...I say that, but you never know with this show, this franchise does love to bring back its random characters for dramatic plot twists! 

Kim will inevitably be dragged down trying to help Jimmy or do the kinds of law bending shenanigans that Jimmy gets up to, except that Kim usually does them out of at least some desire to do whats right, and Jimmy increasingly is just after the hustle.  

I do enjoy watching Jimmy/Saul do his thing, like at the carnival, even if its with a growing amount of dred. The further down the Saul rabbit hole he goes, the closer get gets to his inevitable future hiding from taxi drivers in a Cinnabon. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

"Late to the party."

The only things I have to add:

1. Regarding Kim's well-meaning fake-out/lie to her client:
    I think it was a mistake because on L&O, The Good Wife, etc. I have seen many fictional defense attorneys tell their too-eager-to-take-the-deal clients that the prosecutors do not offer a deal if they think they can win in court.

2. I couldn't stop thinking about the current demise of shopping malls during the Gene scenes.

3. I have quit several beloved shows after a too-long gap between later seasons, and I didn't watch this premier until the next day, but now I'm all in.
    See y'all on my flip side of episode 2.
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I'm having a hard time deciding which Salamanca family member is less annoying. Watching Lalo for a full season is going to make me crazy.

Love that these characters are finally back but this was a slow episode for me. Glad that the show moved past the German construction workers story line early in S5.

Gene's path is still one of the most intriguing parts of BCS for me. Loved his resolve about not going on the run again and I can't wait to see how he stands up to the cab driver.

• Love 3

I thought it was okay.  Some good moments to be sure but I think this show, while absolutely brilliant at times, continues to be one of the most overrated shows on television.

Nice to see some moment in the Gene scenes and GREAT to see Robert Forster.  But the Gene things continue to just set things up for a later date.

I'm glad to see Jimmy finally being Saul but I agree that it wasn't as good as I thought they would be.  Hopefully that will change but I think they might have waited too long to pull the trigger on Jimmy becoming Saul, which should have happened a lot sooner.

I am not a fan of Lalo and they are trying WAY too hard with this character.  Reminds me of Bobby Canavale's terrible and ridiculous character from Boardwalk Empire.  The "Look at me, I'm crazy!" act is not appealing and reeks of desperation.  Too much time was spent on him.

It's hard not to notice just how old Giancarlo Esposito looked in his initial scene.

Thought Jonathan Banks was great in his scenes and Mike had worn out his welcome with me about two seasons ago.  I get why they let the Germans live, that would have required way too much to cover it up.  I'd say Mike's scenes were probably the standout here.

I didn't realize they aired another episode.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4
On 2/24/2020 at 7:39 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

Another thing about Kim deceiving her client was that she did it front of a witness, his wife.  I have to think that was intentional on the part of the writers.  It won't just be her word against her criminal client's.  

I am thinking either she gets disbarred over this, or Saul takes some extreme measures to silence the client, like having him killed or threatening his wife and child.

The young couple seemed like the most disinterested clients ever. I don't think they  are the type to sue their lawyer.  I don't think they would connect a Better Call Saul! ad to their case; "Oh look, that guy isn't a D.A. anymore, he's got his own practice"

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Bannon said:

, Frankly, the whole notion that you could pull off a project like that secretly within U.S. borders, is pretty dubious, but I can buy someone trying and failing.

Like El Chapo's air conditioned tunnels with motorized transport? No one knew about those. Gus choosing skilled, experienced, discreet workers from Europe far, far, away seems like high security. Lalo would have gotten to any local crew that worked on the dig, and tortured the plans out of them.

Lalo first guessed they were digging a tunnel; his next guess would be that they're digging a warehouse with truck access to move and store product; third guess may be a lab.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

in real life, I could see it going either way with the client's wife. She may be someone who doesn't watch TV. She may be really bad with faces, and never recognize Saul even if she sees his commercials. And she might conclude that he used to be a prosecutor.

But I'd also easily buy it if she saw one of his ads and raised hell. The way Saul was dressed and styled when Kim spoke with him was very memorable. And if she just gave birth alone, with her man in prison, I could see her recognizing him and being extremely angry about being fooled.

And with Saul's commercials being so unprofessional and outrageous, I think a lot of people would be very, very reluctant to assume that he was recently a prosecutor. All it would take is a phone call or two to figure out that he wasn't one.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

but it seemed like they did not approach him from straight in front, they came from the side perhaps?

While Jimmy/Gene began his phone conversation, you can see the pair behind him to his right. They recognized "that's him". Jimmy is at the Cinnabon all day, and sits to read at the same bench every lunch hour. The cabbie and his buddy will be back. Jimmy is not totally disconnected, he has someone to convert his diamonds into cash.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

While Jimmy/Gene began his phone conversation, you can see the pair behind him to his right. They recognized "that's him". Jimmy is at the Cinnabon all day, and sits to read at the same bench every lunch hour. The cabbie and his buddy will be back. Jimmy is not totally disconnected, he has someone to convert his diamonds into cash.

Yes, I agree they will be back, probably to shake him down, and he will cook up a scheme that gets them hushed/out of the way while he moves on. Either that or he outsmarts himself and is in custody by the end. In the BB/BCS-verse, no one gets away without consequences and the question is will Gene's consequence be he gets caught, or he has to stay in the purgatory he's in right now.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

And with Saul's commercials being so unprofessional and outrageous, I think a lot of people would be very, very reluctant to assume that he was recently a prosecutor. All it would take is a phone call or two to figure out that he wasn't one.

They might seem unprofessional to somebody who doesn't have a different picture in their mind when it comes to lawyers. I also wonder if they did make the connection if it would be a positive for them that Saul basically is somebody who helps people like them.

It's amazing how deeply buried, in Gene, Saul is. Once he decided to do the Better Call Saul catch phrase, he didn't do it in character, and  never tried to find out the guy's angle now that he was made. Slippin Jimmy thinks a lot faster than Gene.

• Love 4

I'm dying for more Gene scenes. Yay! We got more than previously before! I find his life on the DL/run way more interesting than his brand new foray as Saul.

I suppose it's ironic that the post-BB scenes, a.k.a. "present day" (more or less) are filmed in black and white while the pre-BB scenes, a.k.a. "the past" are filmed in color. Usually it's the other way around but we see so little of the former it wouldn't make any sense for most of the show to be in black and white. 

I found myself far more interested in the Gene scenes than in the ensuing Saul scenes, which isn't a great sign. I've never been fully on board with this show, and I've sort of been trudging along picking up the trinkets. I think I would have much preferred a sequel with Saul than a prequel. I loved El Camino. 

I've always felt like the show brought along Mike and then added Nacho and Gus and Hector because they knew on some level Saul's story alone wasn't strong enough. To me it feels like the show is somewhat gimmicky just for adding those characters because Vince Gilligan knows how popular they were.

I just don't care about the drug trade, at all. I don't care about Gus or Nacho or Hector or any of it. I only cared in so far as it affected Walter or Jess in BB, and now this story is standing alone. It doesn't affect Saul in any meaningful way.

I'm not sure Saul would like a quiet life in Alaska.  He likes excitement and drama.   He went nuts in the empty cell phone store. 

Saul/Gene/Jimmy is a broken man at this point. He has to know there's no way he's ever going to live a life that's anything close to normal, and that his best option is to lay low.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I suppose it's ironic that the post-BB scenes, a.k.a. "present day" (more or less) are filmed in black and white while the pre-BB scenes, a.k.a. "the past" are filmed in color. Usually it's the other way around but we see so little of the former it wouldn't make any sense for most of the show to be in black and white.

It underscores the bleakness of what his life had come to - particularly since when Saul was living his life as he truly wanted, he was in the garishly colored suits he loved.

24 minutes ago, Starchild said:

Saddest thing about all this? Jimmy is a really good lawyer.

Or maybe just a really good con man.

Is there a difference?

They do use the same tools, more or less.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

"Late to the party."

The only things I have to add:

1. Regarding Kim's well-meaning fake-out/lie to her client:
    I think it was a mistake because on L&O, The Good Wife, etc. I have seen many fictional defense attorneys tell their too-eager-to-take-the-deal clients that the prosecutors do not offer a deal if they think they can win in court.

As a prosecutor, I spent all day in court doing one case at trial.  I had four new cases when I came back to my office at lunch to frantically answer emails and phone calls and with no time to eat.  I move cases because I can reasonably move a case.  In my entire 17 year career, ONE case got the "no offer" treatment, and it was a horrific homicide.  We offer deals because it is impossible to take every case to court, and because not every case deserves a maximum sentence.  TV rarely shows the amount of work in terms of number of cases.  I am routinely over 100 felonies at any one time.  There aren't 100 weeks in a year, and most trials essentially burn a week of time.  Add in that hearings have to be done one cases too, and it is easy to see that it is not possible to try every case.  Deals are a basic necessity in the criminal justice system.

• Useful 8
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

As a prosecutor, I spent all day in court doing one case at trial.  I had four new cases when I came back to my office at lunch to frantically answer emails and phone calls and with no time to eat.  I move cases because I can reasonably move a case.  In my entire 17 year career, ONE case got the "no offer" treatment, and it was a horrific homicide.  We offer deals because it is impossible to take every case to court, and because not every case deserves a maximum sentence.  TV rarely shows the amount of work in terms of number of cases.  I am routinely over 100 felonies at any one time.  There aren't 100 weeks in a year, and most trials essentially burn a week of time.  Add in that hearings have to be done one cases too, and it is easy to see that it is not possible to try every case.  Deals are a basic necessity in the criminal justice system.

That's why that elevator deal session was very realistic.   The public defenders are similarly overextended. 

• Love 5
On 2/23/2020 at 11:09 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

ITA.  This felt like it was 75% Breaking Bad and 25% BCS.  And yet, still boring. 

I like this show a lot, but I personally never signed up for Breaking Bad: The Prequel, and I've been disappointed as each season becomes more and more about the drug side.  I care so much more about Jimmy, and Kim, and their world than I do about how everything in BB came to be.  And Lalo is terrible as a character and a person. 

On the other hand, I absolutely do not have a problem with Michael Mando being on my screen, so there's that.  

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

On the other hand, I absolutely do not have a problem with Michael Mando being on my screen, so there's that. 

Yes, slightly younger Michael Mando was kind of funny looking to me in Orphan Black, but since then, each year the camera just seems to love his face more. And for those of you still interested in the body, there was that in this episode too, which was a little gratuitous, IMO, but not too much.

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I just don't care about the drug trade, at all. I don't care about Gus or Nacho or Hector or any of it. I only cared in so far as it affected Walter or Jess in BB, and now this story is standing alone. It doesn't affect Saul in any meaningful way.

A lot of posters have been expressing similar sentiments regarding disappointment with story arcs about the drug trade, but, ultimately, Jimmy/Saul/Gene becomes a "criminal" lawyer because of the drug trade. The drug trade is Jimmy/Saul/Gene's story. 

I didn't start watching Breaking Bad until the 3rd season because I thought it glorified the drug trade. But so many posters who liked shows I liked kept raving about it. So I watched the first episode and was hooked. But I honestly don't know if I'd be watching this show if I hadn't loved BrBa. 

• Love 7

Figures that this show finally come back when I'm off on vacation and away from television/On Demand.  And I still have another one to catch later!

Glad we got one final (?) appearance from Ed/Robert Forster.  Still sad over his passing and I'm curious to know if they had more plans for him going further.  But the stuff with Gene certainly seems to be getting interesting.  The taxi driver did recognize him after-all and even though he is acting all friendly, there is a sense that he wants something from Gene.  But instead of running again, Gene is "going to handle it himself?"  Hmm...

Jimmy has officially adapted the "Saul Goodman" moniker, but while I'll continue to call him Jimmy for now, it really looks like he's only a few episodes away from becoming the Saul we all know from Breaking Bad.  It really is tragic, because he does have the smarts and drive to be a great lawyer, and I think he even truly does want to help his clients.  But he just can't seem to help but to take the easy or slimy way to accomplish things, and it does him and everyone involved with him a disservice.  It's just bittersweet, because every win or victory feels hollow because of it.  But I really find him to be a fascinating character and Bob Odenkirk is perfection in the role.

Definitely think Kim is going to regret her lie at the end.  Granted, I really did think the client was being a total moron to want to walk away from a five month plea since it apparently was a slam dunk case for the prosecution.  But Kim probably would have been better off just letting him go through with it, do her best to represent him, and let him learn the hard way.  But it's like even though she knows Jimmy is going down a dark path, she can't help but to follow him.  And since we don't know what her status is come Breaking Bad time, I worry what her fate is going to be.

I didn't have any issues with Gus letting the rest of the German workers go.  He clearly is someone who will not hesitate to kill when necessary, but isn't going to go out of the way to do it, if it will cause more conflict.  And I do think explaining the disappearance or "accident" of so many workers would have been a pain in the ass, not to mention having to get rid of all of the bodies (even though Albuquerque is apparently ripe for it!)  Plus, while he wouldn't say it out loud, I do think Gus doesn't want to push Mike too far.  Despite his coolness, I suspect Gus really is worried about an eventual war and thinks he will need Mike for it (wherever he wants it or not!)

Looks like Lalo is sticking around as a regular.  I'm indifferent to him, but my main issue is that there isn't much suspense about him, because it is obvious that Gus will come out ahead, so this is either all going to end with his death or being sent back to Mexico.  That said, I do get annoyed over how his presence is once again pushing Nacho to the sidelines.  I really feel like Nacho and Michael Mando keep getting underutilized on this show.  I do love that Krazy-8 is still making appearances!

Glad the show is back and I enjoyed the premiere, although it helps that I've accepted that the series' premieres tend to be slower and arguably boring at first, but it usually pays off retroactively, once the season ends and all of the pieces are put into place.  But I'm really excited since Jimmy is pretty much one step away from being "the Saul Goodman" now, and I can only imagine the heartache and craziness that will come out of it!

• Love 4

I don't care about the drugs or drug trade, per se.   All of these people on the show (Gus, Hector, Mike, Mando, the Cousins, Tuco, Lalo, Krazy-8, etc.) could have probably been involved in some other high-stakes illegal operations that were not drug-specific, and I would have found them just as interesting as long as they were the same characters acting in the same way. 

In other words, it's not the drugs that are keeping me interested.  It's the sense of danger, tension and menace when some of these people are onscreen that I prefer.  I like the suspense, and not knowing who is going to get injured, or who is going to try to screw each other over, etc.  I find Nacho compelling because you can tell he'd rather just get out of the business completely and do something else, but he is essentially stuck and can't get out.

I definitely would not have started watching Better Call Saul if I hadn't loved Breaking Bad (and I loved the characters on BB, including Gus!).  And if this entire series had just been Jimmy/Saul wisecracking and fast-talking his way through retirement communities and courtrooms, or constantly arguing with Chuck or pulling silly scams on idiots like Ken, I would have zoned out long ago.   For me, the increased attention on Gus, all the Salamancas, Nacho and the various people who enter their orbit is a nice contrast to Jimmy's sometimes over-the-top, zany personality and hijinks.

I'm actually more interested in what happens to Gene than I was interested in Jimmy in his early pre-Saul days, but he needs to be Saul for a while and live that life (which involves criminals dealing drugs) in order to become Gene.

Over in the Mandalorian section of this forum, I was saying that there is no right or wrong reason to watch The Mandalorian, because I think some viewers watch for different reasons.  If anyone watching The Mandalorian for a specific reason doesn't see enough of what they are watching the show for, they are disappointed, while another group might be happy because they are seeing a lot of what they want to see. 

I kind of feel that the Better Call Saul audience is the same -- some watch mostly for Jimmy/Saul/Gene and his relationship with Kim, while others love the Easter eggs and callbacks to Breaking Bad, and still others watch because they like the darker, more sinister stories involving the Salamancas, Nacho and Gus.  Perhaps some are watching for Mike.  Just like with The Mandalorian, there is no right or wrong reason to watch Better Call Saul, but there will be times when we are all less enthused about whatever is happening because it's not what we're interested in seeing.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A lot of posters have been expressing similar sentiments regarding disappointment with story arcs about the drug trade, but, ultimately, Jimmy/Saul/Gene becomes a "criminal" lawyer because of the drug trade. The drug trade is Jimmy/Saul/Gene's story.

I agree - you can't isolate Jimmy's story from the drug trade - because that's how he becomes who he becomes. Seeing the slippery, though good hearted, Jimmy slide down that path is riveting. Mike's gradual downslide (though he starts off as a killer and bad cop in the first place) is the same.

I wasn't going to watch this show at first, because I wasn't that fond of Saul in BB. But they had me from the get-go, and watching how Jimmy becomes Saul brings that much more depth to BB.

The irony with both BB and BCS is that normally I don't like stories involving the drug trade, I avoid them completely. My husband is the one who started watching it, and dragged me along, and the depth of the characters blew me away.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6

I never found Saul that interesting in Breaking Bad so I didn't think I'd be interested in Better Call Saul and couldn't figure how Vince Gilligan could flesh out a minor character. However, I should known that Vince wouldn't let me down, and I eagerly look forward to each season! I happen to love the shift to BB-related characters and the beginnings of it.

Confession: I have never cared for/about Kim and am bored by the majority of her story lines! 😮 Count me in on liking the drug trade direction the show is taking, and I squealed again tonight when Gus appeared. BB is still the best show ever to me and, much like The Hobbit movies not being as good as the LoTR trilogy, it didn't matter because I was SO happy to be able to spend time in Middle Earth again, It's the same with BCS. Not that I don't think it's an excellent show on its own--it is--but anything that means I get to spend more time in the BB-related world is wonderful!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

The irony with both BB and BCS is that normally I don't like stories involving the drug trade, I avoid them completely. My husband is the one who started watching it, and dragged me along, and the depth of the characters blew me away.

Sort of similar with me, I resisted the idea of BB, got sucked in almost immediately by the characters. Also wasn't going to watch BCS because Saul was comic relief in BB, not much more, but the story of Jimmy and Chuck was a great one. Now that's over, I want more of Jimmy/Saul/Gene, not more of the drug criminals. Saul seemed to have other than those types of defendants in his waiting room in BB, so maybe more of those interactions would pique my interest.

• Love 5

Better Call Saul: A donnybrook or two.

I was a huge fan of the first four seasons but I'm having a hard time getting into it this time. This is a show you really have to pay attention to while you're watching or you miss a lot of context. Gotta get back into the discipline, I guess.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I agree - you can't isolate Jimmy's story from the drug trade - because that's how he becomes who he becomes. Seeing the slippery, though good hearted, Jimmy slide down that path is riveting. Mike's gradual downslide (though he starts off as a killer and bad cop in the first place) is the same.

I love how the story is so similar to BB yet so different with two men being drawn to this life. In Walt's case Walt himself seemed to be the central thing that was changing while with Jimmy it's like he's trying to stay the same but the actions are putting into a situation where the world is changing around him and that makes his actions very different.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I found myself far more interested in the Gene scenes than in the ensuing Saul scenes, which isn't a great sign. I've never been fully on board with this show, and I've sort of been trudging along picking up the trinkets. I think I would have much preferred a sequel with Saul than a prequel. I loved El Camino. 

I've always felt like the show brought along Mike and then added Nacho and Gus and Hector because they knew on some level Saul's story alone wasn't strong enough. To me it feels like the show is somewhat gimmicky just for adding those characters because Vince Gilligan knows how popular they were.

Saul/Gene/Jimmy is a broken man at this point. He has to know there's no way he's ever going to live a life that's anything close to normal, and that his best option is to lay low.

I'm glad the show's back and I'm enjoying it OK, but I would love to see a sequel centered about Gene, especially after the opening of this episode.  I think the Saul becoming Gene story is a lot more interesting than the Jimmy becoming Saul story.  And it would make it a lot easier to deal with the actor looking older.  

• Love 4

I'm glad the show's back and I'm enjoying it OK, but I would love to see a sequel centered about Gene, especially after the opening of this episode.  I think the Saul becoming Gene story is a lot more interesting than the Jimmy becoming Saul story.  And it would make it a lot easier to deal with the actor looking older.  

Totally agree. I loved El Camino. I have just never thought that the story of how Jimmy McGill became Saul Goodman was anywhere near as compelling as the story of how Walter White became Heisenberg. I would have much preferred a sequel than a prequel. But I think there was a strong impulse to include other popular BB characters to sell the show, which wouldn't have been possible since most of 'em were dead.

Also, this is the first time it has struck me how much older Jonathan Banks looks now than when he was on BB. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I have just never thought that the story of how Jimmy McGill became Saul Goodman was anywhere near as compelling as the story of how Walter White became Heisenberg.

It seems the showrunner/creators of BB thought to parallel the Mr Chips to Scarface journey of  Walter White with the journey of Saul/Jimmy from Counselor to Consigliere (a la Tom Hayden). The concept seems to have worked for 5 years. The Law has been a tv staple since Perry Mason, LA Law, 2 shows with Wm Shatner, et al; none of them previously thought to take this route. The drug trade aspect raises the stakes much more than watching Jimmy scam, or rescue, old people.

Life in a Cinnabons in Omaha(?) doesn't leap off the page to TV Network execs, or I guess it coulda been one episode of  The Fugitive.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I guess I’m the outlier, but the actors’ ages don’t bother me at all. Didn’t in El Camino either 🤷‍♀️

Me neither. I think it would only bother me if I were actively watching BB while watching BCS. But since I'm not , I'd have to mentally remind myself that these actors are older - playing younger - while I'm trying to watch the show. Too much trouble.

I'm an outlier, I think, in that I thought El Camino was at best meh. More like a couple of moderate episodes of BB. It had some fine moments, but it wasn't exactly riveting for me.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I guess I’m the outlier, but the actors’ ages don’t bother me at all. Didn’t in El Camino either 🤷‍♀️

Same here.  And Jonathan Banks is the one I see the most complaints about, but I notice it least with him, as MIke has always seemed as old as the earth, as world weary as it is possible to be.  And it's not like his hair has changed, or a significant weight change, or lack of ability to move and convey the sense of sheer competence that has always epitomized Mike to me.  

I may be the outlier on my next point, but I like all the storylines.  There is no point that I'm not in for, whether it's Jimmy, Kim, Howard, Nacho (love Michael Mando so much, which I could not have imagined when he was "Vic the Dick" on Orphan Black), Gus, Mike and all of them.  

• Love 5
On 2/24/2020 at 10:50 AM, scenario said:

It really doesn't matter if the cab driver was an over eager fan or planning to blackmail Saul. Saul is going to assume the worst...

It's relevant to Saul's risk assessment that the cab driver is a cab driver. I'm assuming the guy is innocent, but even if so, that's just about the worst profession he could have from Saul's POV. Even in a town like Omaha a cab driver must meet dozens of different people a day, and even though most of those people couldn't care less about Saul Goodman, this cab driver seems like the kind who would say, "Hey, you'll never guess who I met the other day. You know the Cinnabon in the mall? The guy who runs it? He was a lawyer in Albuquerque! Had billboards all over town! You gotta wonder what happens with a guy like that..."

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

It's relevant to Saul's risk assessment that the cab driver is a cab driver. I'm assuming the guy is innocent, but even if so, that's just about the worst profession he could have from Saul's POV. Even in a town like Omaha a cab driver must meet dozens of different people a day, and even though most of those people couldn't care less about Saul Goodman, this cab driver seems like the kind who would say, "Hey, you'll never guess who I met the other day. You know the Cinnabon in the mall? The guy who runs it? He was a lawyer in Albuquerque! Had billboards all over town! You gotta wonder what happens with a guy like that..."

Also, a poorly-paid cab driver would be an easy target for bribery, although I'm not sure who would want to target Saul at this point. 

42 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

this cab driver seems like the kind who would say, "Hey, you'll never guess who I met the other day. You know the Cinnabon in the mall? The guy who runs it? He was a lawyer in Albuquerque! Had billboards all over town! You gotta wonder what happens with a guy like that..."

Wasn't all the press coverage in ABQ all about the MAJOR drug dealer/carwash owner, and his lawyer who skipped town? Saul Goodman should be known as a wanted man on the lam above all. The DEA still has two dead agents from the BB case, so they're looking for Saul too, forever.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Saul is one of the only people still alive from Walt's criminal empire.  With how authorities on this show were so utterly humiliated, you can imagine they'd throw every resource imaginable at getting him.  They'd want someone to pay for Walt's crimes and their failure to stop them.  Saul is right to be paranoid.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Wasn't all the press coverage in ABQ all about the MAJOR drug dealer/carwash owner, and his lawyer who skipped town? Saul Goodman should be known as a wanted man on the lam above all. The DEA still has two dead agents from the BB case, so they're looking for Saul too, forever.

Minor spoiler for El Camino:

Spoiler

This is why I can't believe the line on El Camino about Saul "making his own luck" can be a reference to the end game of BCS being Saul being somehow caught or killed and the vacuum cleaner guy knows it, because it would have played into the newscasts too much. 

• Love 2
On 2/24/2020 at 8:33 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

If secrecy was so important, they should have either brought hookers, blindfolded or in the back of a truck with no window, to and from the warehouse.  Or, they could have driven all the men to and Vegas or some other city hundreds of miles away, in a similar manner, to get their R&R.

How many hookers would sit in a car, blindfolded, for 2-4 hours?  Even if the hookers were promised a lot of money, they've got to think that if there's that much secrecy, that one slip up and they'll be dead.

Going to a city hundreds of miles away, might be a better option.

• Love 3
On 2/25/2020 at 11:16 AM, Blakeston said:

The way Saul was dressed and styled when Kim spoke with him was very memorable. And if she just gave birth alone, with her man in prison, I could see her recognizing him and being extremely angry about being fooled.

When the client said he didn't want to go to jail, Kim asked if he was afraid that he'd miss the delivery and he was like "Huh?  Oh yeah."  I'm sure it's nothing significant, but I was under the impression the woman was not really pregnant and was wearing a prosthetic for sympathy.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

When the client said he didn't want to go to jail, Kim asked if he was afraid that he'd miss the delivery and he was like "Huh?  Oh yeah."  I'm sure it's nothing significant, but I was under the impression the woman was not really pregnant and was wearing a prosthetic for sympathy.

Or he was just an insensitive fool who wasn't thinking about his girlfriend and child at all. I doubt any woman in that situation would think she would garner much sympathy for the guy by being pregnant.

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Or he was just an insensitive fool who wasn't thinking about his girlfriend and child at all. I doubt any woman in that situation would think she would garner much sympathy for the guy by being pregnant.

I vote insensitive idiot.   I mean, it's not like he was in court for being a genius in the first place.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

Like I said, it wasn't important, but I half expected her prosthetic to fall off as a plot point LOL

• LOL 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Wasn't he in trouble for selling "hot" mini fridges?  What an idiot.  He would've made a perfect client for Saul. 

I missed that. Sounds like he and Jimmy would have been a business-partner match made in heaven. 

12 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Like I said, it wasn't important, but I half expected her prosthetic to fall off as a plot point LOL

And the girlfriend too. 
I do wonder if they’ll turn up again later this season as “actors” for one of now-Saul’s scams.  Given Vince Gilligan’s frequent reuse of characters to provide continuity, this wouldn’t surprise me. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I missed that. Sounds like he and Jimmy would have been a business-partner match made in heaven. 

And the girlfriend too. 
I do wonder if they’ll turn up again later this season as “actors” for one of now-Saul’s scams.  Given Vince Gilligan’s frequent reuse of characters to provide continuity, this wouldn’t surprise me. 

I hope we haven't seen the last of these two.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
7 hours ago, ByTor said:

And the girlfriend too. 

I was also thinking I wouldn't be surprised if they would come back.  Kim felt bad about scamming them, just to find out they were scamming her with the pregnancy.  But I'm sure their story was a one-and-done contained in this episode.

I can see, maybe while he is being released,  Mini-fridge blabbing about how his lawyer saved him, "after all the new evidence showed up," within hearing of some court employee who remembered it differently.  But then probably only someone with a grudge against Kim or Jimmy would dig into it.

I think maybe Mini-fridge just didn't know what Kim meant by "the delivery."  If she had said "when the baby is due," I would have been surer about his insensitivity. Definitely an idiot, though.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I think maybe Mini-fridge just didn't know what Kim meant by "the delivery."  

Yeah, that was my take. I think the pregnancy was real.

The woman didn't seem like a scammer, or someone who would go along with a scam. And she seemed calm under the circumstances, not jittery like someone who was basically decent but forced to go along with a scam would be. (The man, for all his faults, also didn't seem like an abusive husband who would force his wife to do that.) Of course, the woman might be capable of Meryl Streep levels of acting, but it seems unlikely.

• Love 3

There was one intriguing little tidbit I almost forgot about in episode 1.

When Lalo and Bolsa were discussing Fring, Bolsa told him that with Fring it was all business.

Lalo replied in Spanish, "What about the thing in Santiago, was that business too"

This makes me hope we might get more information about what Gustavo was into in his days in Chile.

In BB, it was pretty clear that Gus was an important man in Chile.  In a flashback, during a phone call, Hector derisively referred to Fring as "Grand Generalissimo", suggesting he might have been a powerful general under Pinochet.

After Hector executes Max, by the pool, on Eladio's orders, Eladio told him that the only reason he was alive was that he knew who he was, but reminded him that he was no longer in Chile.

I would love to find out who Gus was in Chile and what the Santiago incident that Lalo referred to was 

Did he commit some atrocity or double cross someone?  Something else?

• Love 5