Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Whitney Meets the Parents

• Start Topic

I thought Buddy was doing the improv as a way to push himself to be more comfortable in different situations.   I don’t think he believes he has a career in comedy. He is very awkward in his conversations with people and expressing himself, maybe he felt getting up in front of and with strangers would ease that. Up until I was into my thirties, I would get horribly tongue tied and nearly unable to express myself in front of a group of people. I failed classes in high school because I basically refused to make oral presentations. It took me a long time in my job just to be able to speak in a meeting or group project. It was only when my co worker had a personal tragedy that kept her away from work, and it was left to me to take over a project that I finally got past it. I don’t love it, but I can do it. 
Whitney can’t find a land line somewhere in WV to get a message to her friends? Tal came at her request, she knew things were awkward between him and Buddy. I give Tal credit for being so gracious. 

• Love 11

Well Chase’s parents are at least employed. The sister seems young,so no idea what things she’s up to so I’ll reserve judgement.  Either way still think it’s fake but I hope they have outrageous things happen to make it interest:

• chase’s mom and sister throw a cocktail party and Whitney turns up in in Leggings and sports bra with a bride to be sash fashioned out of Henchi’s fur and old pasta noodles.
  • Buddy shows up at the dealership trying to get a job selling cars but instead of selling he tries out his comedy routine on unwitting customers who flee from the dealership.
  • whitney offers to provide twerkin lessons with every new car purchase or my ultimate favorite would be if the tables were reversed and the family flips the script on Whitney and she founds out deep dark secrets of shenanigans and she’s actually the one embarrassed (I’m not sure if it’s humanly possible) but I’d love people leaving her  like WHAT THE HELL AM I GETTING INTO???
Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 11
  • Love 3

Party of one, perhaps, but I don’t think Chase aka Casey is anything to write home about either.  He was being a little bit of an aloof dick when he was around his family (I give him a pass on the Buddy thing, because Whitney’s going around acting like she has two boyfriends).  But he should have and could have been warmer toward her around his family, as could his father.  

And holy shit—was it Heather or Ashley who said Chase seemed like he had only thin girlfriends before??  What part gave it away—the waders, or the unkempt facial hair that is growing up his nose and on his neck?  When I saw them in the “quick sand,” I thought that Chase literally looks like someone who would have a really fat girlfriend.  I could completely see him on 600-lb Life as The Spouse Who Enables The Eating.  Just how low are their standards?  I will say that Ryan—if he did something about the Hitler haircut—would look like someone whose girlfriends have been in shape.  

In this one tiny way, Whitney is better than me—when I meet people for the first time, I subconsciously clam up a little, because I think in every meeting, there is someone whose ass is getting kissed, and someone who is kissing ass, even if it’s only a 51-49% split, and I immediately default to being the person whose ass is getting kissed (it’s very subtle and it’s borne out of insecurity, and as soon as someone is the tiniest bit nice to me, I’m super nice back, and it’s something I’m working on).  My point is that I appreciate how hard it is to be open and friendly, and Whitney was more or less doing that, and I felt a little bit like the Chase family—other than the sister, who was sweet—could have made more of an effort.  

Too much personal talk, too much personal info around that campfire though, with Whitney, of course, being the initiator.  But—don’t throw things at me—maybe it was Whitney’s attempt to get everything on the table, so if the family did have reservations about her size, she was giving them an opportunity to put it out on the table.  If that was her motivation, that was maybe one of the classier things she’s done this season.  I’ll stop talking now.  

Buddy can do whatever he wants—but does he enjoy stand-up/improv?  He seems like a deer in the headlights every single time.  And, yes, he totally sucks at it.  I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anything quite that bad.  A true “one” on a scale of 1-10.  Yikes.  

Edited by LibertarianSlut
Typo
  • Love 12

w

On 2/10/2020 at 10:16 PM, Colleenna said:

Chase's  father is a very successful and  respected  businessman in  NC, according the  article  I read. (Another  article  incorrectly  stated that  Chase's  father was  deceased. According to the  article I read,  it was his father's  father who died in  2014).

Looks like a bunch of car salesman positions, if this is his real LinkedIn:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/harry-severino-3b7962a/

I don’t know how “Casey’s” family felt about Whitney but I was cringing from my couch at home. First of all, she was wayyy to familiar with his father - unless he gave her permission, why was she calling him Harry right away?  As far as their timeline, isn’t it rather soon to be talking about marriage and babies?  Also, assuming you are now a member of the family who can make all kinds of inside jokes with them seems presumptuous to me. 

• Love 14

Dude, a yurt has cloth/canvas sides (and if you want to get REALLY technical, it's made of felt or animal pelts). Basically "Chase's Family Summer House" is a round log cabin with no actual rooms.

So if your name is Casey Patrick, why do you go by "Chase"? I'm confused.

He also has a Dale Earnhart tattoo on his upper thigh. I might be even more confused as to why it's located close enough for his scrotum to practically touch it on a very warm day.

Sweatney's excuse for not notifying Buddy that she wasn't going to attend his gig ahead of time was because she was "a performer" and SHE thinks it would upset him. NO, she didn't want to get yelled at so she just let him be massively disappointed and staring at her empty chairs. What a fucking asshole.

OK - I am going to be the asshole and say that while absolutely ADORE the sister's boyfriend, his forehead is terrifying. (sorry! so sorry) I want to style him - bangs? Anything!

I was worried that Sweatney would wear a sports bra and leggings to meet Chase's family. But she didn't disappoint in those overalls, which never flatter anyone with a belly.  

Chase's dad called them "The Odd Couple." And then immediately after, he called Sweatney "sweet." He's definitely collecting some sort of paycheck, it's official.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

First of all, she was wayyy to familiar with his father - unless he gave her permission, why was she calling him Harry right away?

This isn't weird for me, I'm in my late 30s and literally never called my boss, my boss's boss or my husband's parents by anything but their first name.

Times change and his father is not a "very successful and respected  businessman" that would stand on ceremony, he is a car salesman, I assure you he is not offended when a teenager shows up to buy a new Mercedes calls him by dude, bro or much less his first name.

Edited by John M
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
On 2/7/2020 at 10:27 AM, SevenCostanza said:

Can't wait to see which bra/legging ensemble Twit wears to meet Chase's family.    And now we have them arguing over Buddy how realistic.

Tonight's episode had me laughing throughout for a change - Whit only brought one pair of leggings?  But somehow had a pair of overalls lying around?  With a bandanna to accessorize? 😄 

2 hours ago, Tipsymcstagger said:

Also watching Buddy at his improv gives me the most second hand embarrassment I’ve felt in a while. Someone should mercy-kill his expectations because it’s beyond painful to watch. I don’t like Buddy - but the way they’re framing him during these “performances” makes me sad. He doesn’t have the talent, wit, intelligence or charisma to succeed so it almost seems that the show is mocking him.

My theory is that he's doing it for $$ - as in a "storyline" that has him staying at Whit's each week so Chase can be "jealous" and then she can upset him. by missing his "performances" - which handily have a folding chair front row center with a big "reserved" sign taped to it so we can see that she's not there 😄 

I have questions about Chase's "family yurt":  Do they all stay there?  Are the dad and sister and boyfriend all camped out in sleeping bags on the floor around Whit's love nest?  Are they little yurt hotel rooms and the others have their own yurts?  In that case it isn't really his "family yurt" is it?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Also - Whit said that her last "serious ex"'s father had a comment about her weight.  I'm assuming her last "serious ex" wasn't Avi, who she was going to marry and convert to Judaism for, nor was it Lenny, unless we all missed the meeting of his parents.  Is this an editing error or an admittance that neither of them was a real boyfriend? 😄 

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, princelina said:

I have questions about Chase's "family yurt":  Do they all stay there?  Are the dad and sister and boyfriend all camped out in sleeping bags on the floor around Whit's love nest?  Are they little yurt hotel rooms and the others have their own yurts?  In that case it isn't really his "family yurt" is it?   

It thought the same thing. Also she said they go there every year, as if this was their regular vacation week.  But then his mother had a conference?  And his father was delayed because he had to work?  It was just so transparently set up for show.

10 minutes ago, princelina said:

Also - Whit said that her last "serious ex"'s father had a comment about her weight.  I'm assuming her last "serious ex" wasn't Avi, who she was going to marry and convert to Judaism for, nor was it Lenny, unless we all missed the meeting of his parents.  Is this an editing error or an admittance that neither of them was a real boyfriend?

I think she said that she never met the father, but apparently heard what they said.  Still though.  It was obviously made up. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Alapaki said:

It thought the same thing. Also she said they go there every year, as if this was their regular vacation week.  But then his mother had a conference?  And his father was delayed because he had to work?  It was just so transparently set up for show.

I think she said that she never met the father, but apparently heard what they said.  Still though.  It was obviously made up. 

I thought she said he said it (out of her hearing but she heard about it) after he met her.  Not that it matters since it's all fiction anyway, as you said 😄 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I do improv workshops for fun. It Is a riot but I have zero talent. Lol. Buddy also has zero talent and shouldn't quit his day job.

Does he have one?
 If she's  going to spend the weekend with someone, and it's pretty far away, she shouldn't have planned on attending the improv.

Boring, but it made me dig out a theme for this episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24VOo7-ctKU
"waist deep ln big muddy..."

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Tipsymcstagger said:

Also watching Buddy at his improv gives me the most second hand embarrassment I’ve felt in a while. Someone should mercy-kill his expectations because it’s beyond painful to watch. I don’t like Buddy - but the way they’re framing him during these “performances” makes me sad. He doesn’t have the talent, wit, intelligence or charisma to succeed so it almost seems that the show is mocking him.

Agree with all. Buddy is not funny and does not have the confidence or ability to do improv. I also felt embarrassed for him and I do not like him.  The whole thing was very awkward. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Alapaki said:

Maybe that yurt is a time share? Especially if they have to use it at a specific time every year. Most yurts I’ve seen (maybe 2? Lol) seem to be semi permanent structures. A frame that fairly easily disassembles and canvas type sides and roof. They worked on one in a recent episode of Maine Cabin Masters. 

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, John M said:

He is one of the lower level salesmen at a Mercedes dealership. Which I am sure pays the bills just fine but very successful and respected businessman is a pretty big stretch to describe his social standing.

Mr. Yeah No was an assistant service manager at a Mercedes dealership for years.  Mercedes salesmen can make a lot of money if they've been there a long time and have built up a big contact list and repeat clientele.  Otherwise it depends since a huge part of their income is from commission.  But if successful, they don't hurt for income, it's just a tough business because so much depends on contacts and commission, not salary.  During the recession even the very successful salesmen were hurting because sales were way down.  I'm figuring that Chase's father has been there a long time and is well connected.  Does that make him a "very successful and respected businessman"?  Eh, that's a bit of a stretch.  The way they billed him at first I thought he OWNED the dealership.

That said, "Severino" is a surname that could be either Italian, Spanish or Portuguese.  I'm trying to figure out which one is the case, not that it matters but I'm part Italian and Chase's father talked about the great "Severino" family name, so it interests me.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, suev33 3 said:
  Reveal spoiler

Because we who have kids could never imagine our lives without them...you will never know the joy until you have them.   My sons are in their late 20s and neither of them wants kids.  Their wives dont either, and i respect that.   But im a little sad to know they will never know the awesomeness of having children.  I dont push them though...its their decision.  But if I believed like them, I wouldn't even be talking about it now would I!  

Just because millions of people think something is so "awesome" doesn't mean it should be for everyone.  I never had kids myself for many reasons despite being married for 40 years.  Not everyone thinks it's an awesome experience and that's for them to decide based on what works for them.  Some people think jumping out of an airplane is an experience no one should leave this life without having, but I say to each his own, and to those who keep saying it's something my life will not be as awesome without, please don't make me feel bad for not ever wanting to do it.  It's not fair to make people feel bad about their choices.  I agree with @TurtlePower here.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 24

So Ryan was elected to care for the cats *and* administer medication to said cats whilst Whitney is off cavorting with Chase?  

I hope the medication isn't pills.  Administering pills to a cat can be a challenge, to say the least, and sometimes requires more than two hands to get the job done.  It'd probably be easier to wrangle a slice of pizza from Whitney's paws than give the cats medicine.  

Someone in Chase's family just happened to have a pair of overalls lying around that would fit a 400 lb woman?  (snort)

I'm not a hugger so maybe it's just me, but I cringed when Whitney went in for those hugs. 

She went stampeding in for those hugs like a Sasquatch discovering a mate.  I cringed for the recipients.  

On another note, that chicken she and Chase served looked positively anemic.  

Buddy appears to have the IQ of my coffee mug, so I'm somehow doubting improv or stand up comedy is in his future. 

He looks like he can barely walk on his feet most of the time, so being able to think on his feet seems unlikely.  

I'm still catching up on past seasons.  I had no idea what a goldmine of snark this show could be.  I just watched the Alaska episodes last night.  I was surprised at how quickly Whitney was walking on that trail.  I wondered if a production member was standing at the finish line waving a pizza (or a dozen cupcakes) to keep her moving.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

I don’t know how “Casey’s” family felt about Whitney but I was cringing from my couch at home. First of all, she was wayyy to familiar with his father - unless he gave her permission, why was she calling him Harry right away?  As far as their timeline, isn’t it rather soon to be talking about marriage and babies?  Also, assuming you are now a member of the family who can make all kinds of inside jokes with them seems presumptuous to me. 

10 hours ago, John M said:

This isn't weird for me, I'm in my late 30s and literally never called my boss, my boss's boss or my husband's parents by anything but their first name.

Times change and his father is not a "very successful and respected  businessman" that would stand on ceremony, he is a car salesman, I assure you he is not offended when a teenager shows up to buy a new Mercedes calls him by dude, bro or much less his first name.

Different strokes I guess, yesterday was Glenn’s birthday and Chase says,” HAPPY birthday, Mr. Thore!”  This is presumably after a much longer period of knowing someone.  I guess Chase’s parents could be more informal, but I would think Southern Bell, Whitney would say Mr or Mrs so and so unless directed not too, so I’m a bit surprised she wouldn’t use their last name unless they said call me so and so or Chase specifically introduced them as their first names.  Yes, y’all, can thank me for this pic AGAIN. 

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Just because millions of people think something is so "awesome" doesn't mean it should be for everyone.  I never had kids myself for many reasons despite being married for 40 years.  Not everyone thinks it's an awesome experience and that's for them to decide based on what works for them.  Some people think jumping out of an airplane is an experience no one should leave this life without having, but I say to each his own, and to those who keep saying it's something my life will not be as awesome without, please don't make me feel bad for not ever wanting to do it.  It's not fair to make people feel bad about their choices.  I agree with @TurtlePower here.

Kids make my skin crawl, their shriek are fingernails on chalkboards, disorder is pretty much the most anxiety I can feel. My house, right this moment, could be shown for real estate purposes, there is not so much as a picture frame askew. My husband is the same way, if not worse, and we have built a lovely life for ourselves with incredibly little stress outside of work financial or personal.

I know parents feel like their children are magical and special, or when you have children you naturally rise to the occasion or whatever but having a child sounds like the absolute worst thing that could happen to me. And yes, plenty of people regret having children.

Nope, I'm good, I'm more than happy to sit on a bar patio on a Sunday afternoon sipping cocktails with our other childless couple friends. And I'm in my late thirties, my husband is in his mid-forties and we are gay, so even if we mildly wanted to have children that ship has basically sailed at this point.

We're good.

• Love 23
11 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

Dude, a yurt has cloth/canvas sides (and if you want to get REALLY technical, it's made of felt or animal pelts). Basically "Chase's Family Summer House" is a round log cabin with no actual rooms.

This is one of the little things about Whit and this show that drives me crazy, a yurt is not some exotic concept that needs a detailed explination including diagrams, fucking google yurt Whit, don't act like you are too stupid to have a round tent explained to you.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

I normally am a stickler for showing up when you say you will and calling when you can't make it, but, I did kinda get why Whit didn't on this one.  When you really think that you are with your soulmate and I think she believes that, at least for the show, you do pick their needs over someone who is not in that position.  This trip was the only first time visit for meeting Chase's dad.  And, Buddy has had other standup gigs, which she has attended AND, he'll sadly have more. Plus, she has been a good friend to Buddy.  He's lived in her house with a great deal for quite a while for a very reasonable rate.  I totally understand why someone would avoid Buddy's standup gigs. It's painful.  And, I don't think it's right to keep encouraging him at it. It's cruel, imo.  If Whit had called Buddy to say that she couldn't make it back in time for his show, he'd likely throw a fit, be rude and upset her right before she meets Chase's family. So, I get it.  Sometimes, you just decide to deal with something later on.

And while I normally like Tal, why did he have to keep rubbing Buddy's nose in the fact that Buddy only had two friends show up to support him.  Buddy knew that, why keep bringing it up?  Fake stuff.  And, Buddy was so rude to Tal and his friend.  He has no social skills that I have seen.  Nonetheless, I see the whole thing as staged for drama. 

I think that Whit really did try to make a good impression with Chase's family.  I could sense that she was trying hard to be light, and not too loud.  Polite, but, not too pushy.  I think it's difficult for her to not overtake a room, but, I do think she tried. The issue is that her size is a concern. I would be concerned that my son could end up being her caretaker if she continued to get larger and became immobile  I'm not sure how you get around that. 

When Chase and Whit were lying in the bed cuddling, I took a good look at Chase's face. Do you think that he was looking at her with REAL love and affection?  I thought so, but, it's hard to say.......not sure though. 

• Love 3

She is not feminine, not homey

Those aren't requirements to be a wife. 

I cannot imagine if the son showed up with someone like Twit. I would have to advise him to re-think because this would not turn out well.

Why? Presumably your son is an adult - unless he asks for your opinion, why would you feel obligated to question his ability to select his own partner?

Buddy is not funny and does not have the confidence or ability to do improv. I also felt embarrassed for him and I do not like him. 

i don't particularly like Buddy either but I think it's fine to do improv to try to develop confidence and public speaking ability.

This is one of the little things about Whit and this show that drives me crazy, a yurt is not some exotic concept that needs a detailed explination including diagrams, fucking google yurt Whit, don't act like you are too stupid to have a round tent explained to you.

Chase's family yurt is similar to one I have stayed in. They are a little more involved in than a tent. The one I have stayed in sits on a concrete foundation. It has plumbing, electricity and a gas stove. It is made of canvas, but has a ceiling fan. It's more climate controlled than a tent. It would be a pretty major undertaking to pull it apart and move it.

Someone in Chase's family just happened to have a pair of overalls lying around that would fit a 400 lb woman?  (snort)

She said they were hers - she just hadn't planned to wear them to dinner to meet the family.

• Love 5

Whitney told Chase that if she had to choose between him and Buddy, she would choose the one she has known for 20 years who did not have an issue with her falling in love with another man.

If her relationship with Chase was real, why would she say this?   Does anyone believe she wouldn't leave Buddy in the dust?  I didn't finish watching the episode, but it sounds like that's exactly what she did.

If it's not real. this is the setup for the inevitable Buddy relationship plot line.

Either way it rang way too fabricated to be believable for me.

• Love 8

Am I alone here in thinking he is in it for the money? I mean what does he do do for a living ? His own “best” friend was shocked he would even entertain the thought of dating her. She didn’t even know his real name wasn’t Chase until his sister mentioned it. The when his father said he thinks his son Ismaili looking for someone to support him both emotionally and financially, that sealed the deal for me.

I don’t see them growing old together, or even in their 40’s. I just think she is so happy to have a decent looking man. I also don’t like how her attitude flipped on a dime towards her real friends, sans Buddy who,I can’t stand.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

don't particularly like Buddy either but I think it's fine to do improv to try to develop confidence and public speaking ability.

I agree that improv classes are good for those reasons. I’ve had classes at a corporate retreat and really enjoyed them. However, Buddy has stated several times that he wants to be a stand-up. And based on these excerpts - and maybe it’s editing - he is barking up the wrong tree.

• Love 10

tl:dr

The following is my attempt to make sense of the major part of this episode - the meeting with one parent.

It turned into a lengthier recap that I imagined it would be. And I think I ultimately failed in my attempt.

Read at your own risk of confusion!       

Watching Casey (heh) and Whitney share a bed, fully clothed, made it so apparent that nothing sexual is actually going on between the two of them. Come on, producers, could you make a little effort? At least have Chase take off his t shirt? It didn't help that the two of them are truly inept as actors. When with Whitney, Chase appears to have  a maximum of four expressions: amusement, tolerance, annoyance and boredom. No, Chase is not lusting after Whitney.

Okay, let's see if I can make sense of this. Buddy invites Whitney to attend his improv show in Charlotte on, I think, a Sunday night? Buddy "reserves" two seats (and a tip of the hat to whoever said upthread "but where was Chase going to sit?"). 

Chase wants to take Whitney to West Virginia that same weekend to meet the folks at their "summer yurt" in West Virginia,  a six hour drive, even though his parents live in Clayton, NC,  which is around three  hours from Charlotte.  (Well, OK, maybe he wanted to do a scenic road trip with her, in spite of the fact that it meant his mother wouldn't be able to join them in West Virginia?)  Whitney claims she agreed, but told him they would have to be back in Charlotte by 8:00PM Sunday night to attend Buddy's performance. Chase says she never told him. He apparently never told her any of his plans for the weekend, or just enough so that she packed her "dinner leggings."

On Friday, Whitney and Chase drive to the West Virginia yurts that are supposedly the summer home of Chase's family. The two of them have an "as you know, Bob" conversation in the car.  (For those fortunate enough to never have had the urge to write a novel, "as you know, Bobs" are awkward conversations between characters that are meant to inform the reader of something, even though in real life, people don't  randomly tell each other things out loud they both already know.  For example, Whitney telling Chase his mother won't be meeting them in West Virginia because she has to go to a work conference.)

When they wake up together on Saturday morning (see no.1, above) Whitney "reminds" Chase that she has to be back in Charlotte by 8:00PM on Sunday, which realistically means leaving around noon. Chase says he doesn't see any reason to leave early just to see Buddy do a student performance. Also, Whitney never told him they'd have to leave that early on Sunday and if they do, then she won't meet his family, because his plan was to  have the family over for dinner on Sunday night.  (Hadn't she already met his father briefly at that point?)

Whitney says she thought she'd be meeting his family today (Saturday) and she promised Buddy she'd be at the show. Chase says she is effectively choosing between Buddy and him. He had arranged the weekend so that the two of them would have Saturday to themselves, and on Sunday, the available family (Chase's father, sister and sister's boyfriend) were coming to dinner to meet her. Whitney says that if he makes her choose, she is going to choose her friend of twenty years. Chase climbs out of bed (fully clothed) and dramatically exits.

The whole scene was ridiculous (and badly acted) and then it proceeds to rise to the level of ludicrous. Despite her cruel rejection of Chase in favor of Buddy, Whitney then does a talking head where she says she has to be on Chase's side for the sake of the future of their relationship. But she's still really mad at him. And she doesn't want to upset Buddy, whose friendship means so much to her. Because she is "a performer" she knows it's better NOT to tell Buddy she isn't coming, because that will only upset him before he has to go on stage. (Even if she has more than twenty-four hours notice to give him? He won't get over his disappointment with that much time?) Much better, she "reasons" to be a silent no show, because then he won't worry about her. [SARCASTIFONT ON]I know I would much prefer to be staring at an empty chair, with no idea of what happened to the person who promised to be there before she set off on a six hour drive, than to get a phone message the day before apologizing for being unable to come. No reason to worry in that case! [SARCASTIFONT OFF]

She then pulls on her best dinner leggings to go fishing alone and romantically with Chase, but after she gets to the crick (and sinks up to her knees in mud) she mentions that they're waiting for his sister Kylie and her boyfriend Thomas to join them. (Did Chase abruptly add them to agenda in order to not have to be alone with Whitney all day? Hasn't she at this point met all three of the people Chase invited her to meet? ) Why do I think that at some point even his father had made an appearance by now?

Flash forward to Whitney and Chase making dinner on Sunday night, with Whitney whining about Chase backing her into having to cook, which is not her strength. She is also dressed in overalls (I am informed they are a 2019 fashion statement among the pre-teen set, so that explains the outfit) rather than mud-soaked leggings. She also is relieved that Buddy is probably on stage already so she doesn't have to worry about not being there any more.(?) Oddest moment of this scene -- Chase says "fuck" for some reason and Whitney shrieks "Did you just drop an F-bomb in front of your father?" Everyone looks at her blankly as she apologizes like a mommy whose little boy said a bad word to the supermarket cashier. Within minutes, Whitney says "shit" and then elaborately apologizes to  Chase's father who doesn't look all that interested. Her manners in general are really atrocious, but undermining her own attempt to appear genteel in front of Chase's people was moderately amusing.

• LOL 10
  • Love 10

Here’s the thing. Whitney blowing off Buddy’s Improv show, the “fight” with Chase over who she’d choose, and Tal’s big production about Whitney not being there are all just the shows hamfisted way of hammering home “SINCE WHITNEY MOVED TO CHARLOTTE SHE’S FORGOTTEN HER GREENSBORO FRIENDS!!!!!”

Also, and I can’t believe I didn’t peg this sooner because they really haven’t said it, but . . . guys?  I think Ryan is . . . /whispers a bro!!!!

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

When Chase and Whit were lying in the bed cuddling, I took a good look at Chase's face. Do you think that he was looking at her with REAL love and affection? 

No.

1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

She said they were hers - she just hadn't planned to wear them to dinner to meet the family.

That's why they're so funny - this is a woman who wears leggings to work, brunch, shopping, restaurants, her own fake funeral and other formal events - but for this trip she brought along a pair of overalls!  (And a bandanna to wear with them!) 🤣

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, princelina said:

No.

That's why they're so funny - this is a woman who wears leggings to work, brunch, shopping, restaurants, her own fake funeral and other formal events - but for this trip she brought along a pair of overalls!  (And a bandanna to wear with them!) 🤣

To me it’s kind of offensive. It’s as if she said ‘well I’m going to West Virginia, the land of the hick, so I’m going to wear overalls and a bandana.’ 

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Calliope12 said:

Whitney told Chase that if she had to choose between him and Buddy, she would choose the one she has known for 20 years who did not have an issue with her falling in love with another man.

If her relationship with Chase was real, why would she say this?   Does anyone believe she wouldn't leave Buddy in the dust?  I didn't finish watching the episode, but it sounds like that's exactly what she did.

If it's not real. this is the setup for the inevitable Buddy relationship plot line.

Either way it rang way too fabricated to be believable for me.

Especially when about 5 minutes later, she blew off Buddy because she didn't want to risk a rift with Chase.  That didn't sound like choosing Buddy over Chase to me, particularly when she didn't even nut up and call Buddy to tell him she wouldn't be able to make it. 

Whitney talks out of both sides of her ample ass a lot of the time.  

I firmly believe both Buddy *and* Chase are just being subjected to these shenanigans in exchange for the (relatively) easy TLC paydays.  

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

When Chase and Whit were lying in the bed cuddling, I took a good look at Chase's face. Do you think that he was looking at her with REAL love and affection?  I thought so, but, it's hard to say.......not sure though. 

I think he was seeing the TLC dollar signs.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

It's hard to believe, but, Whit did look better in those overalls than her normal attire. How is that possible?  IMO, most people look terrible in them.  I would NEVER wear them unless it was a dire emergency.  I see it as producer driven since they were in WV.  

Oh, I've had an incident like that deer thing, only, the deer DID hit my car....totaled:(

• Love 4

I haven't watched the Shitney show for a while now, but recently got the The Twit Channel again and decided to take one for the team. I've only watched the last two episode. Here are my observations:

Twit moved away from Greensboro and is now an 'athlete' Okay. I don't consider anyone athletic if going down a set of stairs makes them get winded. 

Twit has toned up but is still huge. I don't buy the bs that she's in the gym all the time. She's got to be eating for a large portion of her day to maintain that weight. 

Nice to see Ryan not kissing her ass. He's an arrogant dick, but anyone who can get Twit mad is ok by me. I guess Todd got demoted. I'm sure he's really upset that his chub rub cream duties have been revoked. 😏

The yurt was cute. It even had a hot tub for Twit to pee in. 

Chase/Casey. There is more chemistry between Twit and Henchi than with Twit and Chase. 

If Twit is so worried about her aging parents, why da fuck did she moved away from them?

Twit hair has thinned a lot more. The extensions are probably to blame, but she'd do better with a shorter hairstyle  and ditch the extensions because she's going to be bald soon. 

Buddy is a lump of humourless poo. He's as delusional as Twit in thinking he has any talent, let alone, the ability to be witty and come up with quick responses. It was embarrassing to watch him try and burp up something during the improv show. 

They're obviously  running out of ideas for the show and the move to Charlotte and the new fake barnacles were added to spice things up. However, Twit is still as obnoxious as ever. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 16
13 hours ago, John M said:

Yeah, I agree with you here.  When I first met my in-laws (who were just a boyfriend’s parents at the time), my husband’s mom often referred to her husband as “Mr. [Whomever].  I was kind of shocked at this.  I thought about it a little, and I told my mom that I am an adult, and if they want me to refer to them as Mr and Mrs, then they can call me Ms [last name].  Same goes for bosses.  If we’re on a second name basis, then we will call each other mister and misses.  If we’re not, we’re on a first name basis.  I can’t fathom a reason why I would call someone a Mr or Mrs when they get to refer to me by my first name at this point in my life (aka adult).  It doesn’t matter to me what region of the country we’re in.  

My law school boyfriend’s parents were from the Deep South, very upscale and important members of the community, and the only way I ever knew them was by first name.  

2 hours ago, John M said:

Kids make my skin crawl, their shriek are fingernails on chalkboards, disorder is pretty much the most anxiety I can feel. My house, right this moment, could be shown for real estate purposes, there is not so much as a picture frame askew. My husband is the same way, if not worse, and we have built a lovely life for ourselves with incredibly little stress outside of work financial or personal.

I know parents feel like their children are magical and special, or when you have children you naturally rise to the occasion or whatever but having a child sounds like the absolute worst thing that could happen to me. And yes, plenty of people regret having children.

Nope, I'm good, I'm more than happy to sit on a bar patio on a Sunday afternoon sipping cocktails with our other childless couple friends. And I'm in my late thirties, my husband is in his mid-forties and we are gay, so even if we mildly wanted to have children that ship has basically sailed at this point.

We're good.

Here, here, again.  The older I get, the more I realize how much I don’t want kids or pets.  Every time I’ve had a shitty night’s sleep, I tell myself to imagine how it would feel if I had to leave work and take care of a screaming toddler instead of going home and relaxing.  I think about all the plans I would have to put on hold, all the things that I take for granted that would be robbed of me for at least the next 10 years, the pain, the expense, the weight gain, the side effects of pregnancy...and just in the last two weeks I realized they don’t change their own diapers either!  

I’m not putting down people for having children.  I think it’s awesome how much joy big people can derive from little people (and vice versa).  I don’t think the world is overcrowded or anything like that, but the more thought I put into it, the happier (actually ecstatic) I become that I didn’t make that choice.  I am about Whitney’s age, which is the time common knowledge tells us women to fish, cut bait, or freeze eggs, so I’ve been meditating on whether I’ll regret it for about the past year, and I am completely happy with my choice.  When I see people that i used to party with now have their child’s face as their Facebook avatar, I am so glad I took the path less travelled.  

I respect people for their family values.  I sympathize with parents of adult children who want grandchildren.  But those of us that are childless by choice are doing just fine. 

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If Whit had called Buddy to say that she couldn't make it back in time for his show, he'd likely throw a fit, be rude and upset her right before she meets Chase's family. So, I get it.  Sometimes, you just decide to deal with something later on.

I totally agree with this too.  I’ve always felt that you have to give your friends who are newly in love a pass (assuming this is real, ha).  Like, oh hey, you got a boyfriend?  Ok, call me in three months when the love haze has worn off.  Look at all the promises Buddy broke and manipulation he engaged in last season when he had a girlfriend.  Kick rocks, Buddy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It's hard to believe, but, Whit did look better in those overalls than her normal attire. How is that possible?  IMO, most people look terrible in them

Because they are so oversized that most people look like they’re swimming in them, especially around the hips because they have no waist. 
On Whitney, those huge overalls were one of the few things we’ve ever seen her wear that actually fit. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
16 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I do improv workshops for fun. It Is a riot but I have zero talent. Lol. Buddy also has zero talent and shouldn't quit his day job.

umm. I don't think he has one.

I can't figure out what draws ANYONE to Buddy. I mean, what??!! There is no appeal, he has the personality of a dirty pile of laundry, he's sloppy, inarticulate, and appears to have very little if any ambition or drive.  

And I don't get all of these "friends" and their incestuous interest in each others' love lives.  Heather is a grown-ass woman; who she decides to kiss/hook up with, etc should not be anyone's business.  

I can't decide why I still watch this, albeit half-assed while I'm playing Candy Crush and browsing the internet.  Maybe I just shouldn't anymore. It makes that little of an impression on me.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, iwasish said:

Whitney can’t find a land line somewhere in WV to get a message to her friends?

Yet seconds after announcing that there was "no service," she is on the horn to call her parents (she's 35 but has to call Mom and Dad the minute she gets to her destination?) and tells THEM "I have no reception here except this wifi."  Huh?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
30 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

I can't figure out what draws ANYONE to Buddy. I mean, what??!! There is no appeal, he has the personality of a dirty pile of laundry, he's sloppy, inarticulate, and appears to have very little if any ambition or drive.  

And I don't get all of these "friends" and their incestuous interest in each others' love lives.  Heather is a grown-ass woman; who she decides to kiss/hook up with, etc should not be anyone's business.  

I can't decide why I still watch this, albeit half-assed while I'm playing Candy Crush and browsing the internet.  Maybe I just shouldn't anymore. It makes that little of an impression on me.

I do wonder what Buddy has to offer.  I mean, Whit was interested in him at one time and then Heather was all into him.  I do believe that she was crushed when he left her, because, I don't think she's that good of an actress to portray her pain, if it were not genuine.  Then, there was the other girl who was moving to NC to be with him.....now THAT one was likely fake, but, I'm not sure.  In a way, I now sort of feel sorry for him, because, I just don't know what will become of the guy.  I mean, what does he have going for him?  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Thanks for clarifying that point, @Elizzikra.  

Confession:  I was still laughing my ass off over her being stuck in the mud, so I must have missed that part.  

All I could think of watching that scene of her delicate feet being devoured by that wet sand was the old expression "like a cow with its foot caught in the mud."

Yes, I am destined for hell.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Technically no. I think he's a rideshare driver but based on the arguments with Tal, he works evenings/nights.

Yet seconds after announcing that there was "no service," she is on the horn to call her parents (she's 35 but has to call Mom and Dad the minute she gets to her destination?) and tells THEM "I have no reception here except this wifi."  Huh?

I sort of get that. She had Wifi in the yurt but no reception out and about - at the crick, or anywhere else too far from the yurt's router. In other words, less than the constant availability she's accustomed to on her phone.

I mean, what does he have going for him?  

Beats me.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I agree 100% !!!  I have been married for about 22 years and we had no desire to have children we have our dogs and thats an expense!!!!

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Uuuugghh said:

Again, if I were so flipping heavy I sank a foot into the sand while my boyfriend was comfortably on top not sinking, I would be mortified! And then her precious dinner leggings were ruined? You fish in a “crick” in your dinner leggings? 

And the break up begins to be foreshadowed with this silly buddy/fishing fight. (I’m assuming I’m behind)

You would think that she would have learned by now to NEVER step outdoors!

Edited by Kid
  • LOL 1

Random thoughts
📌 Chase is another guy who bends to Twit's demand that she always drive the car. That's a very controlling characteristic on her part. I wonder if he realizes that is predictive of how their relationship will be in other instances.
📌 Ryan will be taking care of the cats. This is an asshole who uses Henchi as a weight. (And don't think that cat doesn't remember him.) And his dog Darla as a barbell. I wouldn't allow him within 10 feet of my animals.
📌 Mom's at a conference -- HA! I reiterate my comment last week about Chase's mom's absence: she wants no part of this shit show her son has gotten himself into. And told him so, I bet.
📌 Twit can talk to her parents from WV, but can't call Buddy to tell him she's not coming? (Or all the other ppl she talked into going tho only Tal & Jon bit.) If "wifi" works for the parents, why not Buddy?
📌 I smell foreshadowing for S-8 in Tal's TH about his disappointment that Twit was a no-show at Buddy's performance. He speaks about how Twit's old friends seem to be going their separate ways & see little of each other any more. I suspect they will be gone entirely by next year.
📌 Glenn & Babs once again revealed how controlling & selfish they are when they grumbled about Twit & Chase visiting his family in WV.
📌 Twit claims to have known Buddy 20 years. Not really true. She met him while they were both in h.s. but was not his friend then. They became friends about 5 years ago when the MBFFL  producers needed a straight male in the cast & only had a pizza deliveryman to choose from. Yet Twit wants to tell us she would give up a serious BF for Buddy? HA! 
📌 We now have Avi (via Nada), Ashley & Todd's father  (via Todd) saying Twit is "loud." Maybe someone should tell her that to her face.
📌 Buddy, in his TH, was very ungenerous about Tal & Jon coming to his show. Not only were they present -- Twit wasn't -- but also kind & complimentary afterward.
📌 Well, the question we had when Twit & Chase got together is answered: they have NOT discussed having children.
📌 I thought the forum comments were very good, so I had little to add as is obvious. I find it more & more difficult to have any thoughts, random or otherwise, about this increasingly overly scripted show. There's almost nothing realistic about any of it. Like so many of you I 'm not sure how much longer I can watch MBFFL.

• Love 11

Regardless of what the future holds for the cast, they have to keep Todd.  He cracks me up with his comments.  He may be a smart asp at times, but, he's so funny.  

Also, Whit said that she and Ryan do at least one video a day, right?  And sometimes 2-3?  That must be really tiring. How long can you keep that up?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I will say that Ryan—if he did something about the Hitler haircut—would look like someone whose girlfriends have been in shape. 

Yes! That's exactly what it is - can you imagine if he had a tiny mustache??

18 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

So if your name is Casey Patrick, why do you go by "Chase"? I'm confused.

I believe he said that there were 3 girls named Casey in his grade or class at school.

7 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

I'm still catching up on past seasons.  I had no idea what a goldmine of snark this show could be. 

This is really the only reason I am watching this crap - I can't quit you guys!

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Agree- although I think that people who want to mention why they felt having children was a wonderful choice are often rebutted by those without children who can't help but talk about how overpopulated the world is , how their choice not to procreate was better for the world, and how messy and annoying children are. It goes both ways.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Agree with all. Buddy is not funny and does not have the confidence or ability to do improv. I also felt embarrassed for him and I do not like him.  The whole thing was very awkward. 

Buddy, I believe,' has been quite clear that he DOES NOT want to do Improv.   His primary interest is Stand-up comedy.  Whether he has the talent to do Stand-up is yet to be tested.  But, quite honestly, while Stand-up is no 'easy-peasy breeze,' Improv, for the performer, is probably 100 times more panic provoking!  :-0  

• Love 4

I am not a fan of Whitney nor of Buddy.  But if my boyfriend pulled that stunt about forcing Whitney to choose him over her commitment I would dump him. He was callous and shallow and obviously doesn’t care about her feelings at all.  

• Love 6