Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Whitney Meets the Parents

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

When I went to Ireland my mind was blown at how many different types of potatoes were served at the same meal.  I grew up thinking one potato per meal, but I guess in Ireland, where the potato is king it's not uncommon to have scalloped, Colcannon and fried potatoes on the table.  Years ago when I went to England a casual lunch menu included baked beans and baked potatoes, which we were told is a traditional dish.  So I'm figuring the multiple starch meal is a holdover from older Southern culture that has disappeared from other areas of the US except at holiday meals of course.  Besides, I know people that consider mac and cheese to be its own separate food group, LOL!  😉

I had to Google  concannon. Sounds weird. But I guess  haluski sounds weird to  some folks, too (but it's  awesome!)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

I had to Google  concannon. Sounds weird. But I guess  haluski sounds weird to  some folks, too (but it's  awesome!)

And galumpki. At the same time. Because one meal cannot possibly contain too much cabbage.

• Love 4
On 2/15/2020 at 9:11 PM, DNR said:

I chuckled when i saw the 2 tiny black folding chairs reserved at Buddy’s improv show.......they’ll fit One of Twits butt cheeks 😂Where’s Chase going to sit and God help the stranger sitting next to her.

Chase got a taste of having to deal with Twits size and helplessness when she sunk in the mud 

of course Twit meets chasecasey’s sister and proceeds to shriek like usual. A 30 year old woman can’t even prepare a simple dinner with Chase ..... oh yeah she’s a catch son!!!! 

Twits affected way of speaking when she met chase family was so fake and annoying to me

This.

IF this relationship is real--and that's a big IF--Chase is obviously going to encounter a lot of moments like this with Whitney. It might seem "fine" now, but just give it a couple years and the strain will be showing. Whitney can't do this, Whitney can't do that. Whether it's skis or mud or hiking Half Dome, there's not much they're going to be able to actually do together without severe limitations. 

• Love 4

So am I right in Chase’s mom was “working” the whole time?  I couldn’t get through the entire episode but didn’t see her in the parts I saw.  You’d think whether this were real or fake they would have rescheduled so the Mom could come, I would think that would be the reaction most viewers would want to see (Big Whit meets her mother-in-law) or is she suppose to pop up on another episode?  Otherwise, are we to believe his mom just didn’t want any part of the sham... I mean show.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

So am I right in Chase’s mom was “working” the whole time?  I couldn’t get through the entire episode but didn’t see her in the parts I saw.  You’d think whether this were real or fake they would have rescheduled so the Mom could come, I would think that would be the reaction most viewers would want to see (Big Whit meets her mother-in-law) or is she suppose to pop up on another episode?  Otherwise, are we to believe his mom just didn’t want any part of the sham... I mean show.

The whole thing was odd because they made it seem like this was a previously planned family vacation that Chase decided would be a good opportunity to introduce Whitney to his parents. But who schedules a family vacation when one spouse can’t be there?  Completely set up for the show 

On the board for Hot and Heavy someone mentioned that the show was actually filmed about 3 years ago (and had apparently been sitting in a drawer somewhere at TLC)

im wondering if they didn’t dust off that footage and make a show out of it to test audience interest in a show more focused on Whitney’s, ugh, dating life?

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Not if mom said, "I'm having no part of this!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, princelina said:

Not if mom said, "I'm having no part of this!"

Yeah,that's what I mean.  Of all the people in the family, the audience probably wants to see interaction from, it’s probably the “mother-in-law”  even production would know that, so they would make sure she were involved if it were up to them.       I’m surprised they didn’t trot out a disapproving aunt or grandma if Chase has any, honestly even if he didn’t, just through one of production in a wig and blur the face.  Thought it be another thing building up to the real romance of the century, Whitney and cake Buddy.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I don’t know if I didn’t see the particular episode or couldn't understand Mumbles, but was it ever explained why Buddy all of sudden is trying to be a comedian?  Did he say he always wanted to get into comedy or had some sort of epiphany after getting sober or was this the producers saying....let’s morph Buddy from pizza delivery guy to comedian.

3 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

I don’t know if I didn’t see the particular episode or couldn't understand Mumbles, but was it ever explained why Buddy all of sudden is trying to be a comedian?  Did he say he always wanted to get into comedy or had some sort of epiphany after getting sober or was this the producers saying....let’s morph Buddy from pizza delivery guy to comedian.

IIRC, he has several times claimed, over several years, that he wanted to do standup. I can't name particular times, however.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Dot said:

IIRC, he has several times claimed, over several years, that he wanted to do standup. I can't name particular times, however.

Thanks, most of the time I tune Buddy out or sometimes can’t understand him.

Edited by Irate Panda

I know Buddy says that people have told him that he was funny over the years and that's why he wants to do standup, but, I just wonder who they were and if any sober person ever told him that. I just can't imagine it.  I know that he and Whit laugh a lot at times to their inside jokes, but, that's a far cry from being funny professionally.  It reminds me of the person at church who wants to sing solos and they plan, practice announce, etc.  and yet they just aren't that gifted vocally.  It seems like they would know it, but, they don't.  And if they are slightly encouraged, it gets way out of hand. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I know Buddy says that people have told him that he was funny over the years and that's why he wants to do standup, but, I just wonder who they were and if any sober person ever told him that. I just can't imagine it.  I know that he and Whit laugh a lot at times to their inside jokes, but, that's a far cry from being funny professionally.  It reminds me of the person at church who wants to sing solos and they plan, practice announce, etc.  and yet they just aren't that gifted vocally.  It seems like they would know it, but, they don't.  And if they are slightly encouraged, it gets way out of hand. 

This a million times with regards to Buddy.  I’m discounting the fact that I can’t understand him a lot of times.  I think he mumbles a lot.  I can’t recall one time I on the show where I thought Buddy was funny.  His improv classes and big debut were a big zero for me.  He seems to crack himself up, but he just seems like an angry person.  I get most comedians have had hard/tragic or sad lives, but that doesn’t mean because you went through something hard it automatically makes you a comedian.  That’s why I was hoping this was producer driven.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

This a million times with regards to Buddy.  I’m discounting the fact that I can’t understand him a lot of times.  I think he mumbles a lot.  I can’t recall one time I on the show where I thought Buddy was funny.  His improv classes and big debut were a big zero for me.  He seems to crack himself up, but he just seems like an angry person.  I get most comedians have had hard/tragic or sad lives, but that doesn’t mean because you went through something hard it automatically makes you a comedian.  That’s why I was hoping this was producer driven.

That's what I think it is.  He needed a storyline and he doesn't want it to be as Whit's fiancee.

• Love 3
On 2/11/2020 at 11:28 PM, lightninggirl said:

Dude, a yurt has cloth/canvas sides (and if you want to get REALLY technical, it's made of felt or animal pelts). Basically "Chase's Family Summer House" is a round log cabin with no actual rooms.

So if your name is Casey Patrick, why do you go by "Chase"? I'm confused.

He also has a Dale Earnhart tattoo on his upper thigh. I might be even more confused as to why it's located close enough for his scrotum to practically touch it on a very warm day.

Sweatney's excuse for not notifying Buddy that she wasn't going to attend his gig ahead of time was because she was "a performer" and SHE thinks it would upset him. NO, she didn't want to get yelled at so she just let him be massively disappointed and staring at her empty chairs. What a fucking asshole.

OK - I am going to be the asshole and say that while absolutely ADORE the sister's boyfriend, his forehead is terrifying. (sorry! so sorry) I want to style him - bangs? Anything!

I was worried that Sweatney would wear a sports bra and leggings to meet Chase's family. But she didn't disappoint in those overalls, which never flatter anyone with a belly.  

Chase's dad called them "The Odd Couple." And then immediately after, he called Sweatney "sweet." He's definitely collecting some sort of paycheck, it's official.

Definitely not their family home.  I googled yurts in Genoa, WV (Twit said that’s where they were on the phone), and there is a business that rents yurts that looked EXACTLY like the one that they were in (even down to the color of the couch).  The business was owned by two guys - neither of them being anyone in Chase’s family.  This was 100% a location scouted/rented  by the producers that they passed off as a family home.

• Love 4
On 2/12/2020 at 12:26 AM, princelina said:

Tonight's episode had me laughing throughout for a change - Whit only brought one pair of leggings?  But somehow had a pair of overalls lying around?  With a bandanna to accessorize? 😄 

My theory is that he's doing it for $$ - as in a "storyline" that has him staying at Whit's each week so Chase can be "jealous" and then she can upset him. by missing his "performances" - which handily have a folding chair front row center with a big "reserved" sign taped to it so we can see that she's not there 😄 

I have questions about Chase's "family yurt":  Do they all stay there?  Are the dad and sister and boyfriend all camped out in sleeping bags on the floor around Whit's love nest?  Are they little yurt hotel rooms and the others have their own yurts?  In that case it isn't really his "family yurt" is it?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Also - Whit said that her last "serious ex"'s father had a comment about her weight.  I'm assuming her last "serious ex" wasn't Avi, who she was going to marry and convert to Judaism for, nor was it Lenny, unless we all missed the meeting of his parents.  Is this an editing error or an admittance that neither of them was a real boyfriend? 😄 

Just commented on another thread, but it’s definitely not his family’s yurt.  I googled yurts + Genoa, WV (where Twit said they were), and came up with a business that rents them that looks exactly like the ones they were in.  The owners have an about us page, and neither were anyone related to Chase.

• Love 1
On 2/13/2020 at 7:59 PM, Me from ME said:

A page or two back someone mentioned that the family might have owned a timeshare which would explain why they went to the same place year after year. When Chase or Twit mentioned the name of the town I did a search. The sign near the entrance is rather distinctive and I looked a little further and saw the notyurt (because I have never seen a yurt that looked like that.)

For those of you who haven't followed the link the one that they used is one room, sleeps six and has one bathroom. Close quarters for two but, for five adults when one has a huge personality doesn't seem like the optimal situation for a relaxing time. I agree with @Dot. It was probably rented by the production company and used for a few hours of filming.

I did the same thing (googled Genoa and yurts) as I was watching the show when it originally aired. I just had a hunch.  I found the same website....those guys are not Chase’s family.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, AllyCat said:

Definitely not their family home.  I googled yurts in Genoa, WV (Twit said that’s where they were on the phone), and there is a business that rents yurts that looked EXACTLY like the one that they were in (even down to the color of the couch).  The business was owned by two guys - neither of them being anyone in Chase’s family.  This was 100% a location scouted/rented  by the producers that they passed off as a family home.

I never thought that it was their family home. When they pulled up, it looked like a cabin rental as there were "log cabin yurts" around the one they were in. I figured it was either a timeshare or a rental, but probably not something they'd even purchased as a summer getaway seeing as how there were so many around it.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, lightninggirl said:

I never thought that it was their family home. When they pulled up, it looked like a cabin rental as there were "log cabin yurts" around the one they were in. I figured it was either a timeshare or a rental, but probably not something they'd even purchased as a summer getaway seeing as how there were so many around it.

I probably missed all of that because I can’t focus while watching this show.  I pretty much only watch for the snark on this forum.  I caught that she said “Chase’s family’s yurt”, so I made the assumption she was trying to imply they either owned the structure or the business.  I called bs in my head immediately, which is why I googled.  Likely why I also missed all of those other details you caught.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, AllyCat said:

I caught that she said “Chase’s family’s yurt”

LOL! It's the Severino Family Yurt, where all sacred family traditions are performed. Everything from baptisms, circumcisions, and s'mores-melting celebrations to commitment ceremonies happen there, and also a place in which Sweatney can show up in a sports bra and leggings at any time and be welcomed.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

It wasn’t my sense that they were saying this yurt was Chase’s family’s.  Rather, I think they said it was where Chase’s family took their family vacation every year. 

That totally makes more sense.  I am currently in the market for a little vacation home, so possibly my mind led me there subconsciously.  I thought she was at least trying to say they owned the business if not the structure itself.  It’s clear to me now that I’m not paying close attention, lol.  

On 2/12/2020 at 12:02 PM, Ketzel said:

tl:dr

The following is my attempt to make sense of the major part of this episode - the meeting with one parent.

It turned into a lengthier recap that I imagined it would be. And I think I ultimately failed in my attempt.

Read at your own risk of confusion!       

Watching Casey (heh) and Whitney share a bed, fully clothed, made it so apparent that nothing sexual is actually going on between the two of them. Come on, producers, could you make a little effort? At least have Chase take off his t shirt? It didn't help that the two of them are truly inept as actors. When with Whitney, Chase appears to have  a maximum of four expressions: amusement, tolerance, annoyance and boredom. No, Chase is not lusting after Whitney.

Okay, let's see if I can make sense of this. Buddy invites Whitney to attend his improv show in Charlotte on, I think, a Sunday night? Buddy "reserves" two seats (and a tip of the hat to whoever said upthread "but where was Chase going to sit?"). 

Chase wants to take Whitney to West Virginia that same weekend to meet the folks at their "summer yurt" in West Virginia,  a six hour drive, even though his parents live in Clayton, NC,  which is around three  hours from Charlotte.  (Well, OK, maybe he wanted to do a scenic road trip with her, in spite of the fact that it meant his mother wouldn't be able to join them in West Virginia?)  Whitney claims she agreed, but told him they would have to be back in Charlotte by 8:00PM Sunday night to attend Buddy's performance. Chase says she never told him. He apparently never told her any of his plans for the weekend, or just enough so that she packed her "dinner leggings."

On Friday, Whitney and Chase drive to the West Virginia yurts that are supposedly the summer home of Chase's family. The two of them have an "as you know, Bob" conversation in the car.  (For those fortunate enough to never have had the urge to write a novel, "as you know, Bobs" are awkward conversations between characters that are meant to inform the reader of something, even though in real life, people don't  randomly tell each other things out loud they both already know.  For example, Whitney telling Chase his mother won't be meeting them in West Virginia because she has to go to a work conference.)

When they wake up together on Saturday morning (see no.1, above) Whitney "reminds" Chase that she has to be back in Charlotte by 8:00PM on Sunday, which realistically means leaving around noon. Chase says he doesn't see any reason to leave early just to see Buddy do a student performance. Also, Whitney never told him they'd have to leave that early on Sunday and if they do, then she won't meet his family, because his plan was to  have the family over for dinner on Sunday night.  (Hadn't she already met his father briefly at that point?)

Whitney says she thought she'd be meeting his family today (Saturday) and she promised Buddy she'd be at the show. Chase says she is effectively choosing between Buddy and him. He had arranged the weekend so that the two of them would have Saturday to themselves, and on Sunday, the available family (Chase's father, sister and sister's boyfriend) were coming to dinner to meet her. Whitney says that if he makes her choose, she is going to choose her friend of twenty years. Chase climbs out of bed (fully clothed) and dramatically exits.

The whole scene was ridiculous (and badly acted) and then it proceeds to rise to the level of ludicrous. Despite her cruel rejection of Chase in favor of Buddy, Whitney then does a talking head where she says she has to be on Chase's side for the sake of the future of their relationship. But she's still really mad at him. And she doesn't want to upset Buddy, whose friendship means so much to her. Because she is "a performer" she knows it's better NOT to tell Buddy she isn't coming, because that will only upset him before he has to go on stage. (Even if she has more than twenty-four hours notice to give him? He won't get over his disappointment with that much time?) Much better, she "reasons" to be a silent no show, because then he won't worry about her. [SARCASTIFONT ON]I know I would much prefer to be staring at an empty chair, with no idea of what happened to the person who promised to be there before she set off on a six hour drive, than to get a phone message the day before apologizing for being unable to come. No reason to worry in that case! [SARCASTIFONT OFF]

She then pulls on her best dinner leggings to go fishing alone and romantically with Chase, but after she gets to the crick (and sinks up to her knees in mud) she mentions that they're waiting for his sister Kylie and her boyfriend Thomas to join them. (Did Chase abruptly add them to agenda in order to not have to be alone with Whitney all day? Hasn't she at this point met all three of the people Chase invited her to meet? ) Why do I think that at some point even his father had made an appearance by now?

Flash forward to Whitney and Chase making dinner on Sunday night, with Whitney whining about Chase backing her into having to cook, which is not her strength. She is also dressed in overalls (I am informed they are a 2019 fashion statement among the pre-teen set, so that explains the outfit) rather than mud-soaked leggings. She also is relieved that Buddy is probably on stage already so she doesn't have to worry about not being there any more.(?) Oddest moment of this scene -- Chase says "fuck" for some reason and Whitney shrieks "Did you just drop an F-bomb in front of your father?" Everyone looks at her blankly as she apologizes like a mommy whose little boy said a bad word to the supermarket cashier. Within minutes, Whitney says "shit" and then elaborately apologizes to  Chase's father who doesn't look all that interested. Her manners in general are really atrocious, but undermining her own attempt to appear genteel in front of Chase's people was moderately amusing.

giphy.gif

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

For all that mention Whitney and Chase being fully clothed.....I wonder if the producers realize it sticks out even more because she’s CONSTANTLY half naked with EVERYONE else (Buddy, Todd, Ryan, camera men, random strangers at the bridal store, etc) .

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
On 3/1/2020 at 7:18 PM, Irate Panda said:

For all that mention Whitney and Chase being fully clothed.....I wonder if the producers realize it sticks out even more because she’s CONSTANTLY half naked with EVERYONE else (Buddy, Todd, Ryan, camera men, random strangers at the bridal store, etc) .

Exactly!  They're always fully clothed, and even when Ryan walks in her house and we are supposed to believe Chase left that morning after they "made love" - she's topless then!  But not when she's actually in bed with her "boyfriend" 😄 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 3/1/2020 at 7:18 PM, Irate Panda said:

Guess we can add Heather to the list

• Useful 1
On 11/10/2020 at 2:31 PM, SevenCostanza said:

They're rerunning this episode right now.  I had forgotten about Buddy's "comedy career" what an awful storyline I hope it's not brought back for the new season.

That is so true and do you know bad it had to be to be characterized as awful on THIS show? 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

That is so true and do you know bad it had to be to be characterized as awful on THIS show? 

You two are being awfully unfair. What could possibly prevent Buddy from pursuing a comedy career, other than his utter lack of talent and sense of comedic timing?

• LOL 9