Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Travis's Story

• Start Topic

When Travis got too big to walk down the aisle, he promised to give his wife a proper wedding one day. Since then he's only gained weight. Now Dr. Now is Travis's only hope to lose weight and get the life he and his wife have dreamed of having together.

Original air data 2020.02.04

3 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

As for Travis, I really liked him a lot and wish him and his family all the best. . . 

Also, I was really touched by his honest but loving face-time conversation he had with his brother.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was happy to see that conversation! 

• Love 12

Both Travis and his wife seemed like such lovely people.  I hope he stays on track and they have the wedding of their dreams.

Holy hell, I never thought I'd be typing such a sentiment on this forum 😮  

Seriously, really good episode and I love it when I find myself liking and rooting for the pounder.  

More like Travis, less like that ghastly Gina, please, TLC!

• Love 23
55 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

Both Travis and his wife seemed like such lovely people.  I hope he stays on track and they have the wedding of their dreams.

Holy hell, I never thought I'd be typing such a sentiment on this forum 😮  

Seriously, really good episode and I love it when I find myself liking and rooting for the pounder.  

More like Travis, less like that ghastly Gina, please, TLC!

He was a very nice guy and I liked his wife.  I wish him success.  It was refreshing to not have a whiner/liar.  

• Love 9

I love that everyone on the show wore nice clothes, no giant holes, bathed regularly, had nice apartments that didn't look like they were auditioning for a hoarder show.   I like that people weren't screaming at each other, and that Travis and Yasmin moved to their own apartment.   I was glad to see someone take responsibility for their own role in gaining so much weight.     I was glad to see him lose so much, and how committed he is to getting to his goal weight, and getting skin removal surgery.   If he meets certain criteria (I had a couple of friends who had gastric bypass), then the medical insurance should pay for a plastic surgeon to do the removals.   Dr. Now is a great surgeon, but I really hope Travis gets his final skin removals with a plastic surgeon. 

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I went to take a shower, and when I came back they had a different apartment. Did they move again?? That apartment was pretty sweet.

I do wish Travis and his wife much success.

Yeah, they were living with his mom and she said "time to go!"

(Good for her.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

I was shocked that for the FIRST TIME a family member went off script.  When the wife was crying and saying she realized her part in it, I mean have we EVER seen any of the enablers admit that and feel bad? No, they all continue to enable and never admit they are part of the problem. It was shocking because this is just not in the script we see every week. Once I saw that, I knew he would succeed.

I also liked when he said "Im looking forward to my weigh in, I want to see how well I did". Usually they say "it's my weigh in and I'm so so so scared! I did so much sacrifice but I am SCARED!!"  Ugh. 

He went to therapy. His back story wasn't very sad like he wasnt ass-raped by his mother's boyfriend. 

The other thing though was that after his surgery, he said I still have cravings! How can I deal with this? Unlike the last 2 biatches we saw, particularly 2 weeks ago who said: I had the surgery but it didn't work because I still have cravings and I don't need therapy"...

Good luck to him he was a pleasant person. 

It was one of the most genuine emotions I have ever seen on this show. And an enabler who knows they are an enabler and has to come to terms with it. 

• Love 19

I liked Travis and his wife too.  They seemed like decent people, and I am glad he took his failures appropriately, as wake-up calls, and got himself back on track.  His wife also is a rare enabler who realized that she was part of the problem... I think they will come out of it better not just physically but mentally and emotionally.  I hope they reinvent their relationship and continue to support each other along the way...  For the follow-up, I would like to see Travis close to his goal weight and holding a job!  And maybe the brother coming home for a get-together with Travis and their mother... 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 12
21 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

I was shocked that for the FIRST TIME a family member went off script.  When the wife was crying and saying she realized her part in it, I mean have we EVER seen any of the enablers admit that and feel bad? No, they all continue to enable and never admit they are part of the problem. It was shocking because this is just not in the script we see every week.

YES, this was such a powerful scene! So real, I couldn't believe we were seeing it.

• Love 6

My gosh, how refreshing to see someone on this show - and his significant other - get excited and happy at his progress! I swear, 90% of the time people don't react at all. No smiles. No excitement. Nothing.

My first comment to my husband while watching about 5 minutes, "I think he'll do it." Why? Because the people who keep their homes neat and clean, who still make an effort to shower - they still care. Honestly, if you've reached a level where you live in filth - body and environment - then how the hell are you going to muster the strength to do Dr Now's program?

Also, thank goodness we had an episode without Lola. Seriously, how can this show use her at all? I liked that Dr Paradise mentioned the relationships with his father and brother, but didn't try to cajole him (like Lola always does) into an unnecessary confrontation with his dad. Travis knew that the relationship with his father was toxic, had already come to terms with it and moved on. Good for him. Loved that he reconnected with his brother and seemed to understand that decisions we make - especially when we're young - rarely have anything to do with other people. His brother left to live with his dad, it had nothing to do with Travis, it was something he needed - but it caused a rift in Travis' mind for all these years because he felt betrayed. Nice reminder that our actions have consequences for more than ourselves, but happy to see that Travis understood it wasn't a slight against him.

Hope we see a follow up on him - I liked him and his entire family!

• Love 16

Oh wow, only 16 posts in Travia's thread?😁

Well, there's really nothing to be snarky about is there. From the beginning he came off as somebody you wanted to root for and, even though he had a bit of a bumpy ride, he pulled it together in the end. He and Yazmin seem like amazing people and so supportive of one another... unlike some of the toxic relationships we've seen in other episodes. We were due for someone who had a great disposition and was a hard worker to inject some positivity after the Bethany's and Gina's.

One bit that did make me roll my eyes was the conversation between Yazmin and Travis before they were about to leave for Houston and they talked about being afraid that Dr. Now was going to turn him away... like come on, man, there wouldn't be a camera crew following you around if there was a chance Dr. Now was going to turn you away, what are they going to fill up the remaining hour of the episode with? Footage of You eating another two pizzas, wings and a pie? 😂

I do wonder if they stage those conversations.

Edited by Ben.w
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed this episode, and hope there are more success stories this season.         I'm really hoping that Travis will be a WATN, and with lots of great news.  I'm hoping that Travis and Yasmin have the wedding of their dreams.    It was so nice to see people who supported, and loved each other.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
On 2/6/2020 at 11:08 AM, calpurnia99 said:

I was shocked that for the FIRST TIME a family member went off script.  When the wife was crying and saying she realized her part in it, I mean have we EVER seen any of the enablers admit that and feel bad? No, they all continue to enable and never admit they are part of the problem. It was shocking because this is just not in the script we see every week. Once I saw that, I knew he would succeed.

I’m with you! The minute I saw her crying when she realized that SHE was a big part of the problem, I knew that things were going to immediately change in that household! She was mad and she wasn’t going to let the foolishness continue! So happy for both of them and hope everything goes smoothly with his recovery.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

$64.30?  Plus a gallon of lemonade from a drive through?    

Though her meltdown in the car is heartbreaking. 

And now it is my bedtime.  Have to shovel snow, yet again, in the morning.

I'm pretty sure the drive thru was a Cane's, which does sell lemonade by the gallon.  

I'm just past the part where the wife realizes she is part of the problem.  Wow.  It just hit her like a ton of bricks.

• Love 2

Travis was a really sweet and genuine person, and it's one of the first times that I can see why their spouse married them in spite of the weight.  How cute was Yasmin doing the happy dance at Travis' weigh in!  What a lovely episode.

There was one thing that surprised me regarding his backstory.  Travis said he only started gaining weight after his brother left.  He also said he was a pretty normal sized kid and at 11 (I think) weighed about 120 lbs.  Wait, that's more than I weigh as a full grown adult.  No 11 year old should weigh that much, so I have to wonder if the Daddy issues were deeper than the brother issues.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm hoping the supersized episode tonight has even more nice scenes.    I really enjoyed this episode, and hope there are more success stories this season.         I'm really hoping that Travis will be a WATN, and with lots of great news.  I'm hoping that Travis and Yasmin have the wedding of their dreams.    

How cool would it be if the  WATN episode  included  footage of the  wedding? Make it  happen,  TLC!

• Love 5

The Supersized episode really didn't add anything.        Travis really was a normal size until the brother left, so I'm wondering if he was lonely, and a latch key kid, and just sat there eating constantly?         I really hope that there's a WATN on him, with a wedding, and a better, healthier life.   

• Love 4

Right from the first scenes, Travis spoke like an educated person, lived in a decent (if crowded) apartment, and had two employed family members living with him. That's a recipe for success on this show. People with skills and support have much better odds.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I was worried when he talked about easing into the diet, and buying chips for a treat.  I was sure it would be a gain at the first visit, but he still pulled off a small weight loss.  It was funny that he said he had lost so much weight he could fit behind the wheel and drive again, and it turned out being only 20 something pounds.  He was driving a different car though, not the Rogue, I think it was an Altima.

Loved the Mom being so happy to get her apartment to herself.  How did they have enough money for 1st/last/security deposit on the new place?  That's a good chunk of change, and she was the only one working.

• Love 2

This was refreshing to watch after the stank of last week's episode. We've seen it a lot with the guys on this show, where they just get on with it without any drama. They are often able to hold down a job, drive, and are still mobile. Although Travis didn't work, he was able to walk and his attitude was positive.

As other posters have said, it's the first time I've seen the spouse take full accountability for their role in what's happened.

I'm looking forward to the "Where Are They Now?" where we see Travis, after more weight loss and skin removal surgery, having his dream wedding with his beloved wife. They deserve it.

• Love 7
On 2/8/2020 at 6:39 AM, cynicat said:

He also said he was a pretty normal sized kid and at 11 (I think) weighed about 120 lbs.  Wait, that's more than I weigh as a full grown adult.  No 11 year old should weigh that much, so I have to wonder if the Daddy issues were deeper than the brother issues.

He could have been pretty normal weight at that age  depending on his height and muscle mass.  Looked OK, if I remember right.  Not all kids are small at 11, I was 5'8" at that age.  Don't know how much I weighed, but it was definitely over 100lb yet I was thin enough for my cousin to joke that he could use me instead of a skeleton as a study aid (he was in med school at the time).  

22 hours ago, IvySpice said:

Right from the first scenes, Travis spoke like an educated person, lived in a decent (if crowded) apartment, and had two employed family members living with him. That's a recipe for success on this show. People with skills and support have much better odds.

No surprise... if you are a blob on a couch, and you have only ever been a blob, and all you see around you are blobs just like you - can you even imagine "normal" life enough to want it?   

Edited by Hellga
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 2/8/2020 at 5:39 AM, cynicat said:

Travis was a really sweet and genuine person, and it's one of the first times that I can see why their spouse married them in spite of the weight.  How cute was Yasmin doing the happy dance at Travis' weigh in!  What a lovely episode.

There was one thing that surprised me regarding his backstory.  Travis said he only started gaining weight after his brother left.  He also said he was a pretty normal sized kid and at 11 (I think) weighed about 120 lbs.  Wait, that's more than I weigh as a full grown adult.  No 11 year old should weigh that much, so I have to wonder if the Daddy issues were deeper than the brother issues.

As a former middle school teacher and aunt to 5 nephews, without knowing height,  nothing unusual about a 5th grade boy weighing 120 plus. That immediate pre puberty time frame is just brutal for boys.  And, some boys are going to be built to be linemen in football rather than QBs.  It is when the family encourages their 350 pound 15 year old football player that the huge problem starts.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I liked Travis and Yasmin. I am rooting for their success together !

Like others, I didn't think Travis looked any different after weight loss. Then, I looked at a pic from the beginning of the show and it all came into perspective.

I found it oddly fascinating that he had clean, folded boxers in the closet in the bathroom. He got them himself. Guys, he got his own clothes. He didn't scream for someone to get him his drawers. 

I am generally so over this show, the same stale format is boring me. So, I appreciated a clean home, a nice family, some decent vocabulary, a family that accepted their roles and responsibilities. I guess I prefer success in general, and we so see so little of that on this show.

Go, Travis, GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 12
On 2/8/2020 at 3:39 AM, cynicat said:

I’d say his weight at age 11 might have depended on his height. I was 5’9” at age 12 and over 100 lbs. 

ETA I’m just now actually watching. He said he was 120 at age ten and, yeah, he was a little chunky. 

He just said, “My brother and I...” !!! A first. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2

Travis and his wife seem like nice people, certainly deserving the success that he obviously worked very hard for. Not the typical shit-show disasters that TLC is known for. Yet his episode only has 30+ comments almost a week after airing. What does this say about how awful we 600 lb forum-ists are?  Who am I kidding?  We bathe in our awfulness, proudly wearing gasoline soaked drawers on our way down to the Bad Place. 

• LOL 8

Being in the western part of the country, I don't participate in the Live Chat because I can't watch the show with you eastern folks.  By the time I'm ready to comment, all that's available is the regular thread (this one), and you lucky easterners have already worn out your fingers in the Live Chat.

Sigh.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2