Type keyword(s) to search

2020 Audition Speculation

ByTor
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, ByTor said:

That doesn't mean someone lied, someone could have changed her mind and decided to retire last minute.

Didn’t say they did I said I don’t think they would 

25 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

Didn’t say they did I said I don’t think they would 

I'm sure they wouldn't, someone having lied didn't even occur to me.

• Love 3
On 5/30/2020 at 12:33 PM, homelife said:

If anyone wants access to the video that was sent to the finalists, including the 2nd round kickline by Amy and choreo by Kashara, message me! I was able to figure out how to upload the humongous file.

Would love to see that! Could you share please?

I have to wonder if the currently climate in the country might actually be a catalyst for Kellie and Co. to include more WOC in the DCC?  And to also realize that their standard of beauty is very, very white. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
50 minutes ago, itsweird said:

I have to wonder if the currently climate in the country might actually be a catalyst for Kellie and Co. to include more WOC in the DCC?  And to also realize that their standard of beauty is very, very white. 

Yeah, that will not happen. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, itsweird said:

I think this is wishful thinking (which will be confirmed by the number of WOC who make training camp).

• Love 3

Have the DCCs, Cowboys, or a decent number of the current cheerleaders put out any sort of statement or commented on social media? I’ve seen that some of the former DCCs have done so, but I don’t follow as many of the current ones on social media. However, if they haven’t even done that - just acknowledging what’s going on in society-  I wouldn’t  expect to see any changes. 

46 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

Have the DCCs, Cowboys, or a decent number of the current cheerleaders put out any sort of statement or commented on social media? I’ve seen that some of the former DCCs have done so, but I don’t follow as many of the current ones on social media. However, if they haven’t even done that - just acknowledging what’s going on in society-  I wouldn’t  expect to see any changes. 

I've seen some, and lots of them did the black out Tuesday thing with the black pictures on Instagram.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Brianna makes a comment on this post about her frustration - individual vs brand expectations.  

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

Brianna makes a comment on this post about her frustration - individual vs brand expectations.  

I hope she doesn’t get in trouble for this post for basically calling out DCC for not saying anything, but I agree with her DCC hasn’t made one post about anything not saying they need to make a bunch of post but for them to not speak up at all is ridiculous. Especially when they have African American women on there team I would question being on the team right now being African American.

Edited by DCCland
  • Love 19

Very impressed with Brianna's post, which I find both honest & somewhat diplomatic--& that, I find to be quite impressive in this difficult situation. Good for her for openly addressing her struggle & her disappointment in the Cowboys organization. I agree that there is some risk to her making it back on the team now that she's issued even this small statement in a public forum, but she did so as tactfully as she could. If there is fallout from this during training camp for Brianna, I will have to reevaluate my relationship to the show & how I feel about this team (DCC, not Cowboys). I am so curious about whether they ask questions about this situation (&/or the pandemic & isolation issues) during the interviews. Much like in the spring 2016 auditions happening during the presidential campaign & someone asked Caila (& presumably some others) what they thought of some of the campaign promises & issues, I think the judges might feel like this would be an important opportunity to test their diplomacy skills & see if they feel they could trust candidates to speak on behalf of the Cowboys/DCC if they're asked tricky political or social issue questions. Side note: Can you imagine how Maddie would handle an interview question about what she thinks about all this?! 

Honestly, I think that, no matter what Judy or Kelli think or would want to say in this moment, they feel pressure to take the lead from Jerry Jones & the Cowboys organization. I would think that between Kelli & Judy, Kelli would be the one more inclined to make a statement, IF there was any real desire or contemplation on either of their part to speak up. This feeling is based on very little, of course, but two things that keep coming to mind when I think on this are that Kelli has a black pastor & Judy made a post in the midst of the Kapernick stuff about thinking not putting your hand on your heart & standing for the anthem is wrong & poor upbringing. Growing up & living in the South, I know how segregated a lot of churches are & I continue to be so struck by Kelli having a black pastor, that I still find myself rethinking what I had thought were her racial politics. All that said, I don't know that K or J are feeling hampered by the Joneses in keeping silent. 

I also will say this. There are a lot of empty statements of outrage & solidarity out there right now. While I do think those who wish to offer up their support or voices in this moment should do so & that this is quite obviously a conversation the nation needs to be having (or we wouldn't be witnessing such upheavals again or still), I do not appreciate empty statements of racial tolerance or moral outrage, & I never would believe in such a statement issued by Jerry Jones or his head office or from a lot of other teams, including most in the NFL. Based on NFL vs NBA/WNBA past actions & alliances, I'd believe & appreciate just about any statement from an NBA or WNBA team before I would from just about any NFL team or owner.

• Love 19

Kelli and Judy both did #blackouttuesday, and I remember Judy having extra things in her stories about it. Charlotte has as well. So they’re at least showing some social awareness and acknowledgement, which is a small yet necessary first step. It’s interesting to me, because Jerry has a reputation as being very well liked by his players, but he was also a shit about kneeling during the anthem. So not sure how that plays out. 

I’m a Chiefs fan first, Seahawks second (Cowboys way distant third!) and their responses as a team have been much stronger, Seahawks in particular. I didn’t like how the Chiefs handled kneeling and Marcus Peters in particular. I do follow Tavia Hunt and she’s been quite active. Could all be lip service but maybe they’ve learned in the past couple of years. 

Reminds me that I’m still mad Seattle Miranda didn’t make camp. I don’t understand the rhyme or reason behind how TPTB treat their black candidates (Well, candidates of any shade most days.) Alexandria and Amy were in camp way longer than they needed to be, but weaker dancers have made the squad in the past. We see so many beautiful and talented black women make third round, what happens?? 

• Love 9
(edited)

You know, throughout the past week, I have continued to be impressed with Maddie (and my general assumption of Maddie previously was not the greatest, but I give credit where credit is due), Briana, Miranda, Taylor J, and Chandi. They have been consistent, respectful, and not tone deaf in their messages (looking at you, Alexis, who posted about brunch while protesters were literally 1 street over). I don’t know what the future holds for them, but as just people, DCC is lucky to have them (I know Miranda is retiring, so I wish her the best of luck).

I don’t think anyone’s expectation is that the DCC are going to be the most outspoken change agents in the country. But I do expect that they have opinions about what’s going on in the world if Kelli wants us to look at them as anything other than “just cheerleaders”. And ESPECIALLY if Kelli’s calling card is how diverse the team is, and how many different states and schools they hail from. I watch as DCC promote everything from Dunkin’ Donuts to national sock day. If they can’t take 5 seconds to post anything about the country (and world) being on fire, then I never want to hear another word from Kelli or Judy about how smart, impactful, and insightful these women are. Hell, even Charlotte threw up a black box on her page. I don’t need DCC to solve the worlds problems, but I do need them to not be tone deaf & silent. And honestly, Kelli and Judy posting black boxes when they are the start and stop of why diversity is lacking on this team, is almost laughable.

Quite frankly, the DCC & Cowboys (team page & some individuals) have been disappointing this past week, when they are supposed to set the “standard”. Be better.

Edited by dccfan321
  • Love 17

Kat was also posting on her Instagram Stories, for what it's worth - I thought her posts were thoughtful, opening up a dialogue and saying people could reach out to her if they had questions (which I interpreted as potentially some of her DCC friends).  I was also worried about the risk of speaking up and DCC auditions, but the struggle between silence/risk is exactly WHY she should speak up!

• Love 19
5 hours ago, dccfan321 said:

You know, throughout the past week, I have continued to be impressed with Maddie (and my general assumption of Maddie previously was not the greatest, but I give credit where credit is due), Briana, Miranda, Taylor J, and Chandi. They have been consistent, respectful, and not tone deaf in their messages (looking at you, Alexis, who posted about brunch while protesters were literally 1 street over). I don’t know what the future holds for them, but as just people, DCC is lucky to have them (I know Miranda is retiring, so I wish her the best of luck).

I don’t think anyone’s expectation is that the DCC are going to be the most outspoken change agents in the country. But I do expect that they have opinions about what’s going on in the world if Kelli wants us to look at them as anything other than “just cheerleaders”. And ESPECIALLY if Kelli’s calling card is how diverse the team is, and how many different states and schools they hail from. I watch as DCC promote everything from Dunkin’ Donuts to national sock day. If they can’t take 5 seconds to post anything about the country (and world) being on fire, then I never want to hear another word from Kelli or Judy about how smart, impactful, and insightful these women are. Hell, even Charlotte threw up a black box on her page. I don’t need DCC to solve the worlds problems, but I do need them to not be tone deaf & silent. And honestly, Kelli and Judy posting black boxes when they are the start and stop of why diversity is lacking on this team, is almost laughable.

Quite frankly, the DCC & Cowboys (team page & some individuals) have been disappointing this past week, when they are supposed to set the “standard”. Be better.

Rachel A. has been posting as well...I've been impressed with several of the young ladies...(Alexis and Christina...not so impressive with their bday celebration selfies).  Black boxes are fine and dandy but don't let it stop there.  Keep it going...keep listening...keep learning...don't get complacent.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, JayDKay said:

I couldn't do it... I couldn't be part of a team/ organisation/ brand etc that makes me feel like I have to juggle my own values with brand perception/ values. I think Bri, Ashley, Kat are going to feel very conflicted if the Cowboys do or say nothing. Such a shit feeling. 

I noticed Bridget letting her political opinion loose on IG 🙌 what a relief it must be to have a voice and independent opinions again once you've left the team! 

Times are changing. I think teams around the league are going to have to figure out how to better balance and use the voices of the team while “managing” the brand. Whatever that means to them.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, JayDKay said:

I couldn't do it... I couldn't be part of a team/ organisation/ brand etc that makes me feel like I have to juggle my own values with brand perception/ values. I think Bri, Ashley, Kat are going to feel very conflicted if the Cowboys do or say nothing. Such a shit feeling. 

I noticed Bridget letting her political opinion loose on IG 🙌 what a relief it must be to have a voice and independent opinions again once you've left the team! 

10 minutes ago, dccfan321 said:

Times are changing. I think teams around the league are going to have to figure out how to better balance and use the voices of the team while “managing” the brand. Whatever that means to them.

Let’s hope that this becomes a reality for teams and society in general, so that the burden isn’t on ppl like Briana to forego dancing on the top dance team in the NFL, but is instead on people like Kelli and Judy and Charlotte and Jerry Jones to do better. Black folks who work for and are involved in some of the top corporations, law firms, media orgs, teams, etc. have rarely had the privilege to just be able to up and quit and go work for the top competitor down the street because it’s the same thing there. You’ll get labeled a “distraction” or “not a fit” if you talk too much about race or dare to step out of the “mainstream.” So, I’m sure the minorities on the team, like millions of people out there, are well accustomed to grinning and bearing it at ignorant nonsense and at internally rolling their eyes at ppl like Charlotte who are now pretending to be all supportive, but we all know that any player, who dared to peacefully protest by taking a knee, would’ve been blackballed just last year. I think people are over it, so hopefully we see some real change this time. 

I’m curious to see if any of the candidates were asked about this during interviews. If they’re all about current events, not sure how this slips by. 

• Love 16
(edited)
4 hours ago, JayDKay said:

And good for her. So happy that they are finally free. And Molly's twitter's likes are also pretty political as of late I've noticed. She's retiring so I don't think it's so big of a deal, but she is using her official twitter account with DCC lol. Not that I'm complaining.

Though Rachel Wyatt sure has never had an issue with being political on twitter and she's not retired 😉

5 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

Looks like group deliberation going on sounded like Kelli said they were down to 30 

Can't wait to see this year's candidates. So excited for this season. Sure, it will be different but that doesn't mean it won't be any less fun. For them or this forum haha!

Edited by Lona
  • Love 12
On 6/3/2020 at 6:45 PM, dccfan321 said:

I think this is wishful thinking (which will be confirmed by the number of WOC who make training camp).

If there are several WOC selected to Training Camp this year, everyone should give those talented ladies of color more credit than that, and remember they were chosen to advance past that huge cut from 1550+ down to 70 WAY before the world was set on fire!  It’s insulting to imply they wouldn’t have made it if there wasn’t rioting in the streets.  

• Love 18

Does anyone know how I think her name was lily and Meredith are doing? I know both barely made it last year and would be rotated during games!! Do you all think they will make it this year? I haven’t been keeping up that much do not sure if they improved or what 

9 minutes ago, DCCland said:

Does anyone know how I think her name was lily and Meredith are doing? I know both barely made it last year and would be rotated during games!! Do you all think they will make it this year? I haven’t been keeping up that much do not sure if they improved or what 

Lily never sat out a game Kat did meredith did Rachel a did briana sat out then Gina was injured and was out the rest of the game season 

• Useful 2
51 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

Lily never sat out a game Kat did meredith did Rachel a did briana sat out then Gina was injured and was out the rest of the game season 

Why did Brianna sit out?  Was she injured or another reason?

3 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

Why did Brianna sit out?  Was she injured or another reason?

I think it was another reason I just remember her not doing game day practice that day she say out 

9 hours ago, twilliams65 said:

Anyone know if Shaina Grace from last years training camp is trying out again? She was super good, I was hoping she would have made it through last year! 

I've not seen her post a single thing about it on her IG page. 😞

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/4/2020 at 9:48 PM, Holly85 said:

Lily never sat out a game

This.  It’s so annoying that the show had Lily/ Meredith as bubble gals when it was Meredith and Kat who shared a spot.  

As per WOC in this year’s selection, I speculate that any increase in representation would come from the forum of video submission.  Being able to compete without expensive travel certainly opens up the field.   Of course, the same structural barriers exist and there is even less time to mold someone this year.  My Pluto binges have shown me that they’ve tried bringing WOC strugglers into camp only to have them be the last cuts.  They seem to have their hearts in the right place.

Edited by DCCFan197605
  • Love 7
On 6/4/2020 at 8:58 PM, Holly85 said:

Looks like group deliberation going on sounded like Kelli said they were down to 30 

8B724D1C-8AC0-4F4A-844D-72DA398B94D9.jpeg

Can someone ID everyone in the pic?  I know Kelli is in the Marcia Brady spot; Judy is in Alice's spot, and Shelly is in Carol Brady's spot.  The others, I don't know.

14 minutes ago, TeacherWoman said:

Can someone ID everyone in the pic?  I know Kelli is in the Marcia Brady spot; Judy is in Alice's spot, and Shelly is in Carol Brady's spot.  The others, I don't know.

I see Haley, melissa, brenda, and i think the blond lady next to judy is the news anchor who does the interviews during media training

Bottom left looks like Brenda.

I can’t wait to see how finals shakes out, especially with so many women who made the finals cut last year not even making it past prelims.

I’d love to see more solos. 

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, tteek74 said:

I can’t wait to see how finals shakes out, especially with so many women who made the finals cut last year not even making it past prelims.

Solos will be apart of show group auditions this year so hope we get to see a bunch of them 

• Love 5

Given the format this year, I’d have a preference for the past TCCs.   They already have muscle memory for Thunder, Power, and other perennial dances.   Of course, they could go out with 28 to 30 during early games and blend the new girls in if more time is needed.

3 hours ago, tteek74 said:

I wish they would post solos like they do the DCC in Motion videos.

Hope you are still doing well!!!!!

• Love 4
On 6/4/2020 at 10:04 PM, NinjaMom11 said:

If there are several WOC selected to Training Camp this year, everyone should give those talented ladies of color more credit than that, and remember they were chosen to advance past that huge cut from 1550+ down to 70 WAY before the world was set on fire!  It’s insulting to imply they wouldn’t have made it if there wasn’t rioting in the streets.  

This is what happened at Texas State University Strutters where DMD Julia's mom is the director:

May 30

Before trying out for this team, I was told that Mrs.Fife needed more black girls. The year prior to me making the team, there were 2 black girls. Ever since, I had wondered if I had made it on the team because my talent or was it because of my color?

Quote Tweet

smiley

@lex444lex

· May 30

Finally calling out Strutters publicly for its discrimination towards black women has been my proudest moment. Thank you to those who are doing the same and to those who are supporting us. We love you.

• Love 4
On 6/4/2020 at 10:04 PM, NinjaMom11 said:

Agreed.  And even if some think the DCC’s standard of beauty is “white” I don’t think it’s fair to say that they aren’t inclusive towards WOC - even historically.

The DCC squads have been racially diverse since almost the beginning - or at least since they became a national phenomenon.  They’ve had many star WOC DCC’s throughout the years who were amazing dancers and didn’t just make the squad so they could meet a quota for PR/image purposes either.   Saying they should start doing that now cause of rioting/protests 1. discredits how inclusive the organization has been for the past 40 years and 2. is an insult to the current WOC candidates as though they need extra help and societal pressure to make it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 6/2/2020 at 12:06 PM, Holly85 said:

The ones who make it threw the interview round  will meet up with the vets 

So these 30 or so that make it through the interview will compete in Dallas against the vets in a traditional finals and then that group of remote girls (who made it past the 1. first cut of an initial video, 2. second cut where they had to submit a video of themselves doing DCC choreo and 3. remote interview) and returning vets will compete to get into training camp?

Do I understand or correctly?   So even the remote girls who actually come to Dallas can get cut once they get there and returning vets can get cut too?

I assume somewhere before this finals the vets will have done their interviews either remote or in person   Will they do solos at the in person meetup/finals?

Edited by MyFavShows
6 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

So these 30 or so that make it through the interview will compete in Dallas against the vets in a traditional finals and then that group of remote girls (who made it past the 1. first cut of an initial video, 2. second cut where they had to submit a video of themselves doing DCC choreo and 3. remote interview) and returning vets will compete to get into training camp?

Do I understand or correctly?   So even the remote girls who actually come to Dallas can get cut once they get there and returning vets can get cut too?

I assume somewhere before this finals the vets will have done their interviews either remote or in person   Will they do solos at the in person meetup/finals?

No from what I understand, the traditional finals will not exist, it’s combined into training camp. 

So everyone that makes it through all of these distance rounds will then be competing with the vets throughout training camp.

I think?

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

The rookies will meet with the vets in training camp!! Solos will be apart of show group auditions later on 

2 minutes ago, TexasLonghorn94 said:

No from what I understand, the traditional finals will not exist, it’s combined into training camp. 

So everyone that makes it through all of these distance rounds will then be competing with the vets throughout training camp.

I think?

Your correct 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, TexasLonghorn94 said:

When do the girls find out who makes it through to the training camp?

June 8th I believe is what they said on the podcast all abt auditions 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, TexasLonghorn94 said:

When do the girls find out who makes it through to the training camp?

Just now, Holly85 said:

Do we know if there's even going to be a training camp/football season yet????

24 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

The rookies will meet with the vets in training camp!! Solos will be apart of show group auditions later on 

Your correct 

Wow.  So they are going to bring girls into training camp who they have never actually seen in person.  That’s daring.  Plus all vets in TC.  I assume there will be a few extra taken to TC as they will be less sure and need the ability to make more cuts.  So in some ways “making it to TC” won’t mean as much as it has in the past - and at the same time making it to the final round as a new person means more (cause this time it’s TC and not just a finals where they cut a lot of people).

It’s going to be really interesting to watch   You also got to wonder if they switch to more of this type of model in the future since it expands the field of candidates who may not have tried out in the past cause you had to travel to Dallas for prelims.

26 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

So tomorrow!  Exciting!

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Wow.  So they are going to bring girls into training camp who they have never actually seen in person.  That’s daring.  Plus all vets in TC.  I assume there will be a few extra taken to TC as they will be less sure and need the ability to make more cuts.  So in some ways “making it to TC” won’t mean as much as it has in the past - and at the same time making it to the final round as a new person means more (cause this time it’s TC and not just a finals where they cut a lot of people).

It’s going to be really interesting to watch   You also got to wonder if they switch to more of this type of model in the future since it expands the field of candidates who may not have tried out in the past cause you had to travel to Dallas for prelims.

So tomorrow!  Exciting!

Have you watched the just for kicks podcast on nothing but auditions