Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: 1,000 Pounds to Freedom

• Start Topic

Amy and Tammy go to Atlanta to meet Dr. Procter to discuss weight loss surgery. When they arrive, Dr. Procter gives Tammy a hefty weight loss goal before he will approve her for surgery, meanwhile the Dietician has more bad news for Amy.

Doctor Procter is in the house!  How much weight does Tammy need to lose before being approved for surgery?  In what ways will she act out?  The big money says she will be

giphy.gif 

giphy.gif

On a separate note, if it's 1,000 pounds to freedom does that mean they will only be free when they are dead and have become nothing more than dust?  That's a long way off even for the Slaton sisters.  Way to make it creepy, TLC!

This is the regular episode thread.  It will be open after the US East Coast showing.  

Original air date: 2010.01.08

• LOL 4

After watching this episode, I get the feeling they’re not going to do well with their new diet. They love their sodies too much! 

I had to laugh at the dietitian’s reactions to their answers to her food questions. She was so trying to stifle herself. 

And 5 fans showed up for their meet ‘n greet. A whole five people. Yep, they’re real media sensations all right. Pathetic. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

I watched this, transfixed with horror. They are just grotesque! Tamy's features are disappearing, soon she won't be able to see; her eyes will be buried.

They're "social media influencers"! Who watches their videos? WHY? That sad little meet and greet! "Is there a line?"

Amy, already in "I'll show her!" mode, with her HUUUUUGE bucket of "sodie". Yeah, that's the ticket. Like the nutritionist cares. She's trying to help you. She's not limiting your "sodie" intake to be mean. And may I add here that Amy's cutesy way of saying "sodie" sets my teeth on edge.

Tamy, if you know Amy is poking and trying to set you off, just shut up. You do not have to rise to the bait every time! Sheesh.

46 minutes ago, Emkat said:

The belching and burping and farting is just so uncouth and disgusting.  

And they think its adorable.

• Love 23

Is it just me, or did Dr. Procter show considerable restraint with his facial expressions?

I'm the skinny sister. Oh goodness. We need to lose weight so let's head to the all you can eat buffet, and pound down 10,000 calories.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Emkat said:

I can't tell if this is an act or if they are just this dumb and ignorant. 

They think people find it funny.  It is all very planned.  That is, they are purposefully burping and farting on camera for our amusement.  Problem is, we are not amused.  As very large women, they are looking to be clowns for approval. (I had a friend who topped out at about 380 lbs who would do the same thing.) 

They are fronting that they are happy and having fun.  They are two very sad people.  I find them exhausting to watch because of the show they are putting on.  At the same time, I feel sorry for them.  I doubt they will ever get real about how they feel or, if they do slip up, they'll then counter with more "humor". 

• Love 22
18 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I find them exhausting to watch because of the show they are putting on.

I agree. And it seems like the only time they're not is when Tammy is having a rage spiral. I think that's very real. 

They are two deeply fucked up, tragic weirdos. 

18 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I agree. And it seems like the only time they're not is when Tammy is having a rage spiral. I think that's very real.

They are two deeply fucked up, tragic weirdos.

If I had a forehead fupa, I'd be an asshole too. I seriously want to know if Dr. Pimple Popper could do something for her.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

They’re all laughs and giggles until they’re  not. That Tammy can turn her emotions around on a dime. When she gets wound up, it ain’t pretty. 

I agree that deep down inside they’re very unhappy people. And outside they’re very unhealthy people. Just the very fact they need to go truck weighing station to get weighed should be a clue. 

I’m dumbfounded that anyone would actually watch their YouTube channel. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, nokat said:

Is it just me, or did Dr. Procter show considerable restraint with his facial expressions?

I'm the skinny sister. Oh goodness. We need to lose weight so let's head to the all you can eat buffet, and pound down 10,000 calories.

I think Dr.Procter is investing in a giant size bottle of aspirin and tums.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

They're "social media influencers"! Who watches their videos? WHY? That sad little meet and greet! "Is there a line?"

I believe they are “influenceators.” Even my closed captioning said so!

i find it so aggravating that they say “this is our LAST CHANCE! We need this surgery or there are NO MORE OPTIONS.” Then they just sit back and expect that by showing up at the doctor’s office then magic will happen. They take no ownership of what they’ve done to themselves. 

and Amy needs to stop referencing that she’s the “skinny one.” 

The constant clowning isn’t funny, as that “fan” said. She must have been paid. I find their antics a pathetic bid for attention and a way to try and capitalize on their dangerous condition.

• Love 17
On 1/5/2020 at 1:31 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

On a separate note, if it's 1,000 pounds to freedom does that mean they will only be free when they are dead and have become nothing more than dust?  That's a long way off even for the Slaton sisters.  Way to make it creepy, TLC!

Sadly, the way these two are going, with their huge catalog of serious illnesses, I'm not sure they are that far from dying.     Even as a veteran watcher of these shows, I was amazed at their huge lists of illnesses, and how they seemed think it was a competition to see who has the most potentially fatal conditions.  

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Emkat said:

I can't tell if this is an act or if they are just this dumb and ignorant. 

This is one of the reasons I think I’m done with this show. Plus, they’re just so “off.” Very odd. 

• Love 6

Dr. Proctor deserves some sort of Understatement of the Year award, for being able to keep a straight face while delivering this line: "That's kind of a strange argument to have. They're both really unhealthy."

Quite a hot take there, doc.

• LOL 9
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

That's a very disturbing video about these 2 blobs. 

Yeah. I just watched it. I'm done with this show. There are about a million things that will be a better use of my time. Including cleaning out ear wax, cleaning out the sock drawer, and removing those nasty calluses from my feet. Just saying.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Like a good little insomniac, I will pass some time fleshing out why this show is such a gargantuan disaster. It must weigh on my conscience.

It has a lot of meat such as:

• a wonky eye on the look out for predators coming from behind
  • a bow head that is more prominent than the poop deck, if you get my drift
  • youtube fame whores well versed in the art of self-debasement for 3 cent clicks
  • the skinny one is 400 lbs, and with an IQ of 67, she's also the smart one
  • Junkyard weigh in
  • A ONE HOUR show! Thank you TV gods.

How could this formula fail?

• That one hour feels like three.
  • Edited as if the producers wanted to bring the "magic" of their endearing youtube personas to television, but they are nothing but slow wits that speak in clichés and cackle maniacally every time they amaze themselves with what they just said.
  • How many burps and farts are too many? We still don't have a definitive answer.
  • Has anyone calculated the percentage of the show filmed while immobile in their car, having mundane conversations and devouring pounds of trail mix?
  • An inappropriately whimsical musical score - as if the music wants to influence us to find their antics cute. They're the opposite of cute. This show would benefit from a horror movie score.
  • No Dr Now to deliver unvarnished truth bombs.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • LOL 7
  • Love 15

I have no doubt that the slaton sisters are burping and farting for show.  What is very real is their delusional arrogance.  

I promise you that 95% of their "fans" are people who watch their videos so they feel better about their crappy life or some fetish weirdos, who get off on burping or morbidly obese women making fools of themselves.  

The part where Amy was like "most of our fans are overseas so it's okay if they don't come to the meet and greet" like wut?  Do you honestly think anyone would ever consider travelling to meet you?  Why do you think you'd attract fans with the same devotion people have to someone talented or even mildly interesting?  

Like yes, you travel overseas to watch Beyonce perform, but the slaton sisters honestly think that they have developed a fan base who might think of taking a flight to meet them?  Huh?  

And just LOL at some special opportunity to meet the slaton sisters.  I'm sure if you just show up at their trailer park with some bacon or offered to pay for their admission to the country buffet, you too could meet the slaton sisters.......no need to go out of your way for a meet and greet.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5

HOW does a human body sustain such abuse?  How is the larger one still alive, when just sitting still she is out of breath?  I was seriously afraid to watch her getting out to the car, then, getting into the car.  How is this woman still alive???  Is it because she is relatively young?  Oh my, can I continue to watch?  Is there any hope at all for these two? 

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, suzeecat said:

HOW does a human body sustain such abuse?  How is the larger one still alive, when just sitting still she is out of breath?  I was seriously afraid to watch her getting out to the car, then, getting into the car.  How is this woman still alive???  Is it because she is relatively young?  Oh my, can I continue to watch?  Is there any hope at all for these two? 

Very good points and not only that, what if they do lose the weight? All that skin is just gonna be hanging everywhere. Food is their addiction and also a comfort. They need psychological help too. I just cannot imagine not caring enough about myself to get to that point. It's very tragic and sad.

• Love 2

With the weight and burping, this seems like a Honey Boo Boo spin-off. I think they're all in a family tree that doesn't fork.

They really had fans? TLC producers didn't beg people to come inside in exchange for a free TLC tote bag?

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

I wonder how tall they are. I'm thinking they must be about 5ft2 or 5ft3, because Amy, at 400lbs, looks as big as many of the 600-pounders we've seen. And Tammy looks like an 800-pounder. So I'm thinking they must both be pretty short, which makes things so much work.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

With the weight and burping, this seems like a Honey Boo Boo spin-off. I think they're all in a family tree that doesn't fork.

They really had fans? TLC producers didn't beg people to come inside in exchange for a free TLC tote bag?

They did not look like I imagined their "fans" or "hate watchers" to be like.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, essexjan said:

I wonder how tall they are. I'm thinking they must be about 5ft2 or 5ft3, because Amy, at 400lbs, looks as big as many of the 600-pounders we've seen. And Tammy looks like an 800-pounder. So I'm thinking they must both be pretty short, which makes things so much work.

I was thinking the same thing, when they first got weighed at the junkyard and said the scales were wrong, I agreed because I thought they weighed far more! Specially Tammy.

• Love 2

I just finished the episode, a few thoughts

1. I don't understand doctor math, because Tami is 600 lbs and Amy is 400 lbs, and I didn't think half of 600 was 400. 

2. I think I liked them marginally more this episode.  I really enjoyed their gratitude and excitement over the hotel room.  And how much their "fans" meant to them.  I suspect TLC played a heavy hand, but it was nice to see

3. The dietician kinda rubbed me the wrong way.  Instead of asking them what they like to eat, which is a lot of stuff even smaller people eat she should have done a "day in the life" to get an idea of HOW they eat.  

4. I also got a dismissive eye rolling vibe from the dietician in her ITM interview.  As a viewer I can roll my eyes at the slaton sisters.  You, as their dietician, and a health care professional who just met them, should know better.  

5. Almost every diet show does this so they must know better, but I feel like telling someone who has spent 30+ years eating one way and drinking 12 sodies a day to like completely stop everything is a recipe for failure.  Even if they have every intention of doing what it takes to lose weight.  

If food can be an addiction those two at least have some form of food addiction.  How often does it fail when you ask other addicts to stop cold turkey and white knuckle it?

Obviously dietary changes need to be made, but I don't get why it can't be slightly less drastic.  I mean even if they cut like 20-30% of their caloric intake they would still lose weight.  

6. How did sleep apnea not make either of their list of health problems. 

7. Tami is a whiner, but I DO think that Amy pushes her buttons with the Walker situation.  I'm not sure what Amy's obsession is with the walker.  It's not a great situation, but she CAN still ambulate and if her knee is bad, Tami is absolutely going to need to do low impact workouts.  So walking isn't even an option.  

8.  Their relationship is so codependent and unhealthy.  I think Amy likes being the skinny sister, but I expect that Tami wouldn't have anyone if it wasn't for Amy.  It was so very sad to see them leave Tami in the car like a dog.  I don't even think the window was down.  

• Love 12
9 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

I know TLC intervened, but I just don't know how.  Maybe they found some fans who were relatively close and paid them to take the day off work + appearance fee.  The first girl seemed way hyped.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, RealReality said:

2. I think I liked them marginally more this episode.  I really enjoyed their gratitude and excitement over the hotel room.  And how much their "fans" meant to them.  I suspect TLC played a heavy hand, but it was nice to see

I liked their wow over the hotel room, and was stunned that they'd never been out of Kentucky.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, RealReality said:

Almost every diet show does this so they must know better, but I feel like telling someone who has spent 30+ years eating one way and drinking 12 sodies a day to like completely stop everything is a recipe for failure.  Even if they have every intention of doing what it takes to lose weight.  

If food can be an addiction those two at least have some form of food addiction.  How often does it fail when you ask other addicts to stop cold turkey and white knuckle it?

Obviously dietary changes need to be made, but I don't get why it can't be slightly less drastic.  I mean even if they cut like 20-30% of their caloric intake they would still lose weight.  

I'm starting to wonder this myself. Say Amy and Tammy (or anyone on My 600 Pound Life) changed their diet to two slices of toast, two eggs and three slices of bacon, lunch = 1 chill cheese dog, supper = 2 slices of pizza, 1-2 'sodies" per day, no snacks. What would happen to their weight? I realize it's still not a healthy diet, and 2 slices of pizza can easily become a whole pie again, but would it be an easier starting point than boiled chicken and lettuce? 

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I'm starting to wonder this myself. Say Amy and Tammy (or anyone on My 600 Pound Life) changed their diet to two slices of toast, two eggs and three slices of bacon, lunch = 1 chill cheese dog, supper = 2 slices of pizza, 1-2 'sodies" per day, no snacks. What would happen to their weight? I realize it's still not a healthy diet, and 2 slices of pizza can easily become a whole pie again, but would it be an easier starting point than boiled chicken and lettuce? 

I agree, I just feel like a lot of these shows try to get participants to go from case of soda a day and an entire pizza to a sensible kale salad and a gallon of water.  

I think your approach would work better.  If they could even just get them to stick to three meals and two snacks instead of constant "grazing" it would probably work. 

• Love 6

I think minor dietary changes would work for small weight loss goals (10 to 20 pounds). But these morbidly obese people would soon plateau and their bodies would reset and they would start to gain weight again. I really trust the doctors who have experience and knowledge of morbid obesity to know how many calories they should have as well as when they should have counseling. JMO.  I have no knowledge or experience in the field.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, satrunrose said:

Being a food addict myself, I think I can answer that. It’s all about triggers. If pizza is a trigger that leads to over eating, two slices equals a whole pie.  A food addict, unlike an alcoholic, cannot abstain entirely from food. What they can abstain from is their triggers.  

Edited by Kid
  • Useful 9
  • Love 6
On 1/11/2020 at 1:59 AM, RealReality said:

3. The dietician kinda rubbed me the wrong way.  Instead of asking them what they like to eat, which is a lot of stuff even smaller people eat she should have done a "day in the life" to get an idea of HOW they eat.  

4. I also got a dismissive eye rolling vibe from the dietician in her ITM interview.  As a viewer I can roll my eyes at the slaton sisters.  You, as their dietician, and a health care professional who just met them, should know better.  

The dietitian needs to work on her own diet to clear up her skin. 

The constant giggling gets on my nerves. They are just so amused with themselves. 

I guess if you drink a dozen sodies a day it is okay because they are not sodas. Drinking sodas would be unhealthy.

Tammy and Amy cannot appear on My 600 Lb Life. They both wear shoes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 1/12/2020 at 7:59 AM, Kid said:

Being a food addict myself, I think I can answer that. It’s all about triggers. If pizza is a trigger that leads to over eating, two slices equals a whole pie.  A food addict, unlike an alcoholic, cannot abstain entirely from food. What they can abstain from is their triggers.  

I tried to watch again and lasted a bit longer.  They are incredibly sad. They have not had a lot of love or support in their lives.  I also think we as a country need to do better by our population.  More education, better access to doctors, and who knows what else but people like these sisters did NOT need to end up this way.  Some sort of neglect lead them to not give one damn about their lives.  

5 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I tried to watch again and lasted a bit longer.  They are incredibly sad. They have not had a lot of love or support in their lives.  I also think we as a country need to do better by our population.  More education, better access to doctors, and who knows what else but people like these sisters did NOT need to end up this way.  Some sort of neglect lead them to not give one damn about their lives.  

Well, we damn sure don't need the diet Coke advertising folks giving healthy eating tips.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, RealReality said:

Well, we damn sure don't need the diet Coke advertising folks giving healthy eating tips.  

It never ceases to amaze me that even intelligent and highly educated people can buy into advertising wholesale...  "but it says here that..."  They will say whatever they need to say to sell more of their product!!!  

• Love 5

They need a great therapist as priority one, above the dietician. I was surprised that wasn't the first thing the MD recommended. 

I don't think the sisters alone are enough to sustain a reality show without some interesting support characters, and Michael is too quiet to really be one. So the producers have to drag them out of the house to get some kind of interaction with the world to have enough material for the show. Tammy sitting around at home all day isn't going to be enough to keep us tuning in. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Tipsymcstagger said:

I had to laugh at the statement that “Tammy has a bad history with blood clots.” As opposed to having a good history. I know...I know...this is the least egregious example of their ignorance. But still...

Maybe if a lucky blood clot felled your worst enemy?

• LOL 3

What's up with that "husband" going along with feeding them 12,000 calories a day?  His I.Q. has to be about a 43 too.

This show is a joke. These 2 loons don't want to lose weight, sad but true. They just wanna drink a case of diet sodies every day.