Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E11: Day 9: 9:00 PM-10:00 PM

"Audrey tries diplomatic means to avoid full-scale war."

Audrey? Seriously? Did I miss the episode where she became President, or Vice-President, or Secretary of State, or Secretary of Defense?

I knew we were going to get Audrey shoved down our throats.....

• Love 4

Ugh, that was not a good hour.  The more emotional scenes actually worked for me (the Jack/Audrey call) which is more unusual, but the direction of the bad-guys plot is ridiculous as always.

The highlight: ".........Bowwaaaa...."

This show is certainly going out of its way to make every regime of Chinese government look like assholes, first Cheng, now with the Prez who won't listen to reason.  Though I guess the Russians are kind of assholes too now (though the whole storyline of them breaking Cheng out/faking his death to get his assistance to get this override device with the intention of starting war between China and the US is a bit much - though I lol'ed when Audrey is like "yeah, I get that" when she is digesting that part of the story).

I don't watch previews, but looks like next week will just be Audrey in peril?  Count me uninterested.   Maybe Tony can save the day next week.

So instead of getting to the ship at the dock to flee the country, Cheng Zhi miracously discovers Audrey's secret meeting in the park to capture her...why? How is Audrey important at all? And why should we care?

That said, I can't believe this will wrap up in an hour! I've really enjoyed this season.

• Love 3

Bad continuity error after Heller's conversation with the Chinese President-in one shot the Admiral is standing directly behind the Colonel. Cut to Heller saying one line as he crosses away from his desk. Direct cut to wide shot of the entire room and now the Admiral is a few feet behind the Colonel, leaning against the table.

I found it amusing that in a later scene Heller says "nucular" once and the Colonel says "nucular" twice. Really? How hard is it to say "nuclear?" Both Clinton and George W. Bush had the same problem, I recall. Did Jimmy Carter, too?

• Love 3
(edited)

The penultimate hour:

Not as bloody as I expected: Chloe not dead, Mark not dead, Audrey not dead, Jack not dead.

More bloody than I expected: It's one of the few glass doors on TV that's not made out of sugar!

About even: Audrey goes to a meeting in the dark, three minutes from the end of the hour: Of course it's not going to go well.  Cheng is proving himself to be a worthy adversary by having all of his potential enemies monitored somehow, while also being able to adapt quickly to losing one bargaining chip by going after another.  Plausible?  No.  But... supervillain!  There's just the usual suspension of time disbelief in that he manages to handle this shift in the span of fifteen minutes, including a drive over and setting things up.  But you don't get to be a supervillain on this show without being able to manipulate time.  Or by having a huge number of henchmen on call all over the place, so it goes.

Speaking of real time: It's approximately 450 miles from the Chinese coast to Okinawa, so that part actually fits within the hour, at least for launching missiles.

Good old 24: 25th Amendment flags all over the place!

Minor diplomatic issues again: Shoot guards, so it goes.  KGB station chief, er, deputy foreign minister dies in fight, perhaps some problems.  On the bright side, he wasn't pinned to the floor with a fireplace poker.

Chloe's eyes opened like she was the Terminator.  I blame that eyeliner.  Then again, she did bludgeon silly half of the people in the truck on her way out.

So it would seem that the time skip will take place during the final episode now?

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor
(edited)

I found it amusing that in a later scene Heller says "nucular" once and the Colonel says "nucular" twice. Really? How hard is it to say "nuclear?" Both Clinton and George W. Bush had the same problem, I recall. Did Jimmy Carter, too?

According to Wikipedia while Carter did enunciate it into "nukular," it may have also been a trademark of Eisenhower.  I prefer "atomic" for that retro Fifties feel.  And being impossible to screw up.

Speaking of continuity, I lost track of just how many rounds Jack and Kate expended during the gunfight before either reloading or running out.  (The P30 in 9mm holds 15.)  Even so, they were fighting, at about a five-to-one disadvantage, people with submachineguns.  But I laughed when Jack pulled the knife out, because that's what he does.

(edited)
The highlight: ".........Bowwaaaa...."

My highlight was when Jack called Mark an idiot!  "Blah blah blah, you IDIOT!"  Love you Jack!

Damn, I really wanted Jack to tell Audrey about that a-hole Mark.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 3

I actually tweeted that Heller has to go specifically for this reason. If you can't pronounce "nuclear", you have no business making decision regarding nuclear devices

• Love 1

I wonder if Mark will die trying to save Audrey so redeeming himself and avoiding the treason charge. When he was talking to Jack, I thought that he was misguided, but not the real bad guy that I thought he was.

Chloe's eyes opened like she was the Terminator.

I was thinking The Chicken from Family Guy. 

I do believe the Grim Reaper is stalking Mark. Redemption would be a good way for him to go out.

Audrey must have Cartwright blood if she continues to  lose husbands. 

(edited)

Good lord, with how inept personal security is on 24, how could they let Audrey leave the President's location without a massive security detail?  You just knew that was going to happen because it's 24.

I really enjoyed this episode.  Though having the Russians behind this plot adds one more layer to an already convoluted plan.

Russians=Cheng=Aiden=Margot....do I have that right?

Looks like I was right about Cheng feeling that his country left him for dead.

Edited by benteen

Mark: Audrey, you don't have to be here. There are plenty of people to cover.

Audrey: My father needs me, and I like to think my country does too.

Me: They do? What exactly do you do anyway?

• Love 2
(edited)
Audrey must have Cartwright blood if she continues to  lose husbands. 

On the bright side, she didn't have to watch Jack zap her current husband with a lamp cord this time.

Mark and Boris Badenov did give me the biggest LOL moment of the episode, when Boris sees the security feeds going out and his rather huge "Oh crap!" is followed by Mark seeing The Moustache's "Oh crap!" and matching it with his own.

Back to coincidences of the day: So Cheng got busted out of prison, maybe the Russians helped.  Either way, they've been working together for some unspecified length of time.  Cheng had Adrian Cross build the override some time ago, and was lurking around in London to collect it.

But, in a completely-unrelated development, Yates set up the sale of the override for his own benefit, which got Margot interested, so she sent Simone out to contact Yates and amuse him while they set up the sale and the theft.

It just is a cosmic-level coincidence that Margot pulls her plan when she did.  It still appears that Cross is unaware that Cheng is on a whole different level of supervillain, so maybe he did tell Cheng that the override was loose and Cheng would have tried to find Yates himself at a more convenient time, but then Margot pushed forward everyone's timetables.  Or maybe Cross didn't tell Cheng about it, and Cheng would have showed up and Wrath of Khanned everyone anyway (thanks, Latverian Diplomat!) at Open Cell then, whether it was missing or not.

(There is the question there, since I'm a bit uncertain about what was being said about Margot's demands during the middle hours, as to whether Cheng and/or the Russian guy actually knew about Margot having control of the drones, since that was largely kept secret to the US and UK side.  Still, it wouldn't be difficult to figure out independently that missiles were raining out of the sky in a situation that resembled what the override was designed to do.)

Either way, like I mentioned last week, this is one of the few times that it doesn't seem to me that linking the show's third act plot change shenanigans with the opening act plot shenanigans results in character actions in one hour that are directly counterproductive to character actions in another hour, which is remarkable for this show (hey, shorter seasons work!).  It's just monumentally coincidental that everything happened today.

(edited)

And why didn't Cheng just go after Margo when she had the device since he seems to know everything that goes on and where everyone is at any given time, but now it seems like he's after Jack and will probably use Audrey as bait for the final showdown. Would be cool if Audrey was the one to finally do him in. 

Edited by WhyOhWhy

I know that this is 24, but it is impossible for me to buy that all these different types of bad guys were knowingly or unknowingly in a conspiracy together. The show clearly decided to throw in every bad guy that it could come up with to go out with a bang. I just hope that Chloe, Jack, and Audrey make it out alive.

Audrey? Seriously? Did I miss the episode where she became President, or Vice-President, or Secretary of State, or Secretary of Defense?

Mark: Audrey, you don't have to be here. There are plenty of people to cover.

Audrey: My father needs me, and I like to think my country does too.

Me: They do? What exactly do you do anyway?

Yes, when did the position of President's Daughter and Official Hostess become part of the chain of command?

I have a real hard time with all the so-called admirals and generals advising the president and none of them appear over 40, if that. Heller and Boudreau are the only 2 guys with any gray hair in the room.

• Love 2

The one thing I really wanted from the show when I heard it was coming back for one season was for it to produce a tightly-scripted, believable, compelling arc for the newest threat and for the main characters.

The season has been exciting to watch but it's failed to meet my one wish. As usual, the terror plot is far too complicated and involves far too many people for anyone to seriously believe that this is in any way possible to occur within a day. If they were going to involve Cheng, then the Russian involvement should have been limited to just trying to set up the shady deal to capture Jack due to what he did at the end of Day 8. But now having the Russians conspiring WITH Cheng, who hired Cross, who contracted Yates, who was surveilled by Margot... it's just too much. It's stupid. 

At least the show has an opportunity to partially clean up the absolute mess that was Day 6, by re-doing the conclusion of the Jack/Heller/Audrey and the Jack vs. Cheng arcs. I'm glad the show is back and I really do hope that it's either brought back for additional seasons or even if it's fully rebooted, but if nothing else I hope this final hour can be satisfying in the event that it ultimately is the last we ever see of this show.

(edited)

I have no problem with Audrey asserting herself. She is not some uneducated dilettante. She is an experienced senior defense policy analyst who has worked closely with intelligence and government agencies. I am sure that she can make a positive contribution to the situation. If only she had better security and was not set up.

I noticed the unbelievably young generals also. Would it have killed them to cast older actors in those roles? Hollywood is so ageist.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5
(edited)
The season has been exciting to watch but it's failed to meet my one wish. As usual, the terror plot is far too complicated and involves far too many people for anyone to seriously believe that this is in any way possible to occur within a day.

As I describe in my own post, I think the al-Harazi plot and the Cross/Cheng/Russians on the side plot can exist unrelatedly but coincidentally, though it's a coincidence the size of the Moon.  The writers actually getting stupider to simplify the plot isn't the greatest solution, but I just tried to remember all of the twists and unlikely contrivances in Season 5 in sequential order and my brain seized up pretty quickly.  And that's easy compared to Season 4.  Six, Seven, and Eight are all jumbled up for me also.

This compares reasonably to Season 3 for only having two big plots in motion, the second one following the first on only a small hook.  I'd sweep One and Two into the comparison also, but those were actually fairly localized plots with a lot of filler compared to the S4+ multinational conspiracy weirdness.

(edited)

So I gather that 24 is actually "12" this time around.

Secret Service lets a known loose cannon (who is no longer even a US intelligence agent) into a room with the President without disarming him first? Normally this is one of those things that would wreck my suspension of disbelief. But this is 24, so what the heck. Sure, Jack Bauer can carry a gun anywhere he wants, because he's Jack Bauer, dammit!

Pretty sure it would take the Chinese longer than an hour to get a strike force underway. I know there's such a thing as rapid deployment, but that rapid? This is the sort of development where some time skips probably would have helped.

Edited by Darkpool

They called the character played by Philip Winchester (blonde guy who plays Stonebridge on Strike Back) "Colonel". Why would a mere colonel (whether Army or Marines, doesn't matter) be in the inner circle of the President? And why would he be in a position of making decisions? Did all the generals (and I have to believe there are a lot of them) get killed off?

That flag draped coffin from next week had better not contain the body of Mark Boudreau. He doesn't deserve the honour. But it's too obvious if it's Heller.

This season started out with such big momentum and high stakes and it seems to be ending on a whimper. I can't believe there is only one hour left. It all feels so anti-climatic. I feel they should've kept Margot as the lead villain, or at least in the mix since there are only 12 episodes. They should've let her succeed in one big attack, then fast forward 5 or so hours later and show the chaos. I also would've introduced a family member for Kate or leave her husband alive so she could get an emotional hook in real time. 

Why the hell did Heller not say to the Chinese Prez "Oh, one more thing: THE RUSSIANS ARE BEHIND ALL THIS.  If you retaliate, you're only doing what they want you to do.  Wait an hour or two till we can sort this out, and if we don't, you can retaliate then."

• Love 1

That flag draped coffin from next week had better not contain the body of Mark Boudreau. He doesn't deserve the honour. But it's too obvious if it's Heller.

That still leaves Audrey, or even Jack, if Jack finally dies, Heller lives, and Heller decides to give the Chinese and Russians the symbolic finger by pardoning Jack for everything and giving him full honors.  It looks like Chloe is safe again, unless we get a last-second screw-over, but I don't see her getting the whole flag bit.

I don't want to overspeculate on the remaining 12-hour time jump, but because of where things are and the content of the preview, that part could be a four-minute wrap at the very, very end.  (Hey, at least it's the regular Fox  preview and not that one heavily-overspoilered one that got out.)

• Love 1

Is it now obligatory for every episode to have someone (usually Heller) say, "Give Bauer anything he needs!"? Nominating that one for the 24 drinking contest when binge watching this season at one go.

My favorite moment of the night was Chloe going all badass on Cheng's men, rolling down a big hill, and her stupid eye makeup staying in tact. 

• Love 1

I still enjoy Chloe's not-always-the-smartest-but-the-best-thing-she-could-think-of-at-the-time plans; it keeps her more relatable to the audience even as a tech genius on a spy show.  Clearly the plans don't always work, but she does try her best.  Getting the phone to record, while figuring that Cheng would notice her picking it up, was a great move in that weird sleight-of-hand way that we last saw when she stole Miles Papazian's keycard.

Pausing just before she jumped out of the truck also produced a pretty good "Oh, what the hell" moment from everyone involved.

• Love 3
(edited)

One more thing about the last few minutes: The real Secret Service has a huge procedures manual detailing what to do for just about anything. In this case, having the President's daughter meet someone on short notice at night, I'm fairly certain that it wouldn't suggest doing so outside, in near-total darkness, in a wide-open space flanked by tall buildings.

Also, when the shooting started, maybe Audrey would be too surprised to move, but the agents, since they didn't get hit entirely simultaneously, don't have much excuse for standing around gawking with her while it happened. This is where that diving-in-the-way "Noooooooo" reflex kicks in.

• Love 1

I like how the CIA's representation of how tough a security system is consists of little pictures of padlocks. Five padlocks means it's tough.

I didn't see Chloe bonk her head (although I saw her bonking a lot of other heads). Why did she pass out? Rolling down a hill is that traumatic?

How exactly did we get from "The Russians are after me!" to "I must go to their ambassador's residence and shoot everyone!"? Did this not cause serious problems in seasons past? Seriously, there was nothing established for why Jack and Kate get to storm the residence and shoot people.

I thought the CCTV systems and satellites weren't working because Cheng was using the override to mess with them. But then the US forces were able to somehow wrest control back... sure would have been handy to have that ability a few hours ago!

I assume Jack called Audrey because he wanted to ask her if she knew her husband was a traitorous douchebag. Unfortunately, once she gets all sentimental he totally forgets why he called her in the first place!

Heller drops some pills on the floor and his military advisers immediately start plotting treason? Like it's any of their business what kind of pills POTUS takes?

• Love 3

That pill move was very ridiculous.  Loads of over 60 y.o. people take totally innocuous pills.  Hell, I'm 40, and take 2 daily, 3, if I'm in allergy season.  For all the others know, Heller is on Allegra or a mere blood pressure drug.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I spent way too much time trying to figure this out last night after seeing the preview.  Agree it's not Heller - his health seems fine (physically) and his dying doesn't really add anything.    So that leaves IMO - Mark or Jack.  Mark could die saving someone or someones, and Heller decides to let him go with honor - no need to let the country know about the treason charge at that point.

As for Jack, yes, it could be him, but he's not really dead, it's a ploy to convince all of the people that hate him that he IS dead, and he and Audrey can fly to some remote African or South American village and live the rest of their lives in peace...until Jack needs to take on Baku Haram or the Columbian cartels.

(Audrey proved again she's her own worst enemy.  In the middle of an international crisis, the President's daughter would not go meet someone in the middle of the night in a desolate location - smarter to "smuggle" her friend into the embassy, or heck, even meet at a restaurant)

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 1
How exactly did we get from "The Russians are after me!" to "I must go to their ambassador's residence and shoot everyone!"? Did this not cause serious problems in seasons past?

Yeeeaaah, I wondered about that, too...

Things I loved about this episode:

-Both Jack and Audrey's separate reactions to Cheng being alive. I had to watch them both more than once. "I'll never forget [Cheng's voice]." Oh, Jack.

-Mark's look of panic when Jack arrives and wants to talk to him & Pres. Heller alone. You know you're doomed, right, Mark?

-Jack calling Mark an idiot.

-Chloe's escape from Cheng's truck. Awwww yeah! Now you'll save the day, right? (Looks like it, based on the promo.)

-Kate looking uncomfortable while she listens to Jack's half of his phone conversation with Audrey. Heh.

-Cheng telling Mustache Russian Guy he should have sent a bigger team to collect Jack. Not that it would have helped, of course.

-Audrey trying to do something useful. It's not her fault her security detail failed so epically.

Things I didn't like about this episode:

-Audrey being set up as bait/hostage. Sigh.

-The scene with the pills on the ground and the Meaningful Looks from the military folks.

-Still no Tony. Sigh.

Oh, and the British military got to do something useful! Sort of. Accidentally.

• Love 2

Geesh, haven't the Russians heard of safety glass?  ;)

While again, it was entertaining (mostly) for me to watch, I still wonder if the writers have painted, er, written themselves into a corner.  I guess we have one hour to find out.  But even during a 24 episode season, having these many balls in the air would be difficult to manage.  I just don't see how they will do it with just one show left.  I guess we'll find out.

Just how did Cheng go from, "Get me out of the country!" to then organizing an ambush of a meeting he knew nothing about in about 15 minutes?   I know 24 always has played fast and loose with time, but sheesh..   And the minute Audrey said she wanted to meet up with that person, I knew it would be some sort of a trap.  If I were the Prez, I wouldn't have allowed her to leave.  Especially considering that even if you put Cheng's head on a sushi platter, that Chinese president still may not call off what they're planning to do militarily.  And speaking of which, don't they have voice recognition?   They could show that it really was his voice on that device.  Though I suppose they could say they don't have a voice record to compare it to.

Poor Jack.  He came out of hiding to save the President.  Now he has to save the world.  And not one but TWO damsels in distress.  And he has to do it inside of an hour now.  :)

(edited)
I didn't see Chloe bonk her head (although I saw her bonking a lot of other heads). Why did she pass out? Rolling down a hill is that traumatic?

How exactly did we get from "The Russians are after me!" to "I must go to their ambassador's residence and shoot everyone!"? Did this not cause serious problems in seasons past? Seriously, there was nothing established for why Jack and Kate get to storm the residence and shoot people.

I thought the CCTV systems and satellites weren't working because Cheng was using the override to mess with them. But then the US forces were able to somehow wrest control back... sure would have been handy to have that ability a few hours ago!

I thought briefly that they knew that The Moustache had gone rogue, except that they didn't know that (and, much like Season 8, even if the Russian government actually is supporting what's going on, you can't just shoot their diplomats).  So... yeah.

The US satellite coverage over China went out because the Chinese shot down two satellites that were covering the area over Okinawa.  As typical for the way other countries act in this series, the Chinese response is not very nuanced, since they're going straight for actions that would start a war, even if they think that the US started it first; Heller shouldn't (and in the end, doesn't) want to have a large number of US assets destroyed while he plays the "We didn't do it!" card.

As far as the CCTV coverage of Cheng's escape from Cross's place, yeah, that's just convenient.

And not one but TWO damsels in distress.

Assuming that Chloe didn't break anything after jumping out of a moving vehicle, she'll probably be safe from being chased for a while, unless we get early-season homages and either a bear trap, very angry hedgehog, or some random survivalist-type appears.

• Love 2
(edited)

The look on Mark Buttpaste's face when Jack asked to speak to him and Heller alone reminded me of guys on Cops who get caught with a hooker, then get told "she" is really a "he".  Priceless!

In Jack Bauer's world, top military officers obviously don't last long.  When you have a nuclear (sorry, nucular) armageddon every six months, nobody makes it to full retirement age, hence the need to move up the young bucks faster.

The draped coffin can only mean one thing... Edgar is finally going to get the sendoff he deserves!

Edited by AV8n
  • Love 3
Poor Jack.  He came out of hiding to save the President.  Now he has to save the world.  And not one but TWO damsels in distress.  And he has to do it inside of an hour now.  :)

Kate's got his back. The two of them can handle this. I think she might be the best partner Jack's had since the kid who got his hand chopped off. ( that was awesome)

• Love 1
(edited)

Speaking of coincidences, it's a shame that the entire British police force, MI5, and military all took a vacation day the same day.  The only time we saw them was when they raided the arms dealer's place.  Again I wonder why bother setting this season in London if there is no interaction with British authorities?  Even the PM phoned it in.  Literally.  Nice of them to leave the Federal Agents in charge though.  The British are so accommodating, allowing Heller to conduct military operations in the middle of their capital.

Just how did Cheng go from, "Get me out of the country!" to then organizing an ambush of a meeting he knew nothing about in about 15 minutes?

I'd like to know that, myself.

Audrey:  Just let me go do my job.

Me:  And just what is your job, Auds?

I have no doubt Mark will do something heroic and will die as a result.  Will Jack tell her the truth?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

I was loving every last second of this episode until Audrey was in peril again. BTDT...but this time, Jack better take out Cheng Zhi before Audrey gets hurt. NO cliffhangers here.

Cheng did have an "Oh, crap!" moment when he realized that Jack was around, topped off with essentially saying to the Russian guy that "This is Jack Bowaaaaah out there.  He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until he kicks my ass again."  (Well, okay, he didn't say all that, but the few moments of actual fear that Cheng has produced have all come from Jack being on a nearby rampage.)

• Love 2

Although the Chinese were right to be pissed at the bombing of their ship, at a certain point they shift from innocent victim to irrational evil bully. After receiving the explanation from Heller and the British Prime Minister, they refused to take a cautious approach and instead veer ahead recklessly. This is when Heller justifiably upgraded the response status. If looking at intent and reality, at this point the U.S. was becoming an innocent victim of irrational Chinese aggression.

My favorite line of the night from Jack: "He's a covert intelligence operative, you IDIOT." Love it when someone, especially Jack, justifiably calls someone an idiot.

• Love 1

Although the Chinese were right to be pissed at the bombing of their ship, at a certain point they shift from innocent victim to irrational evil bully.

This.  24, because everything is shoved into a single day, is just not good at showing potentially-hostile nations with much subtlety or rational thinking beyond the next five minutes.  Probably the only thing that would trigger an immediate full-out war response in reality these days would be a thousand ICBMs going over the North Pole, but even a fairly-massive but isolated incident like the one that ended the previous episode should just result in a lot of yelling at first; Cheng should have had to coordinate many more simultaneous attacks to make it really look like a war was starting.