Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: It's Time To Get Out Of Town

• Start Topic

On 1/20/2020 at 11:02 AM, chlban said:

I am all for diversity but I don't need it quite so heavy handed

What exactly does this mean... I've seen similar sentiments all up and down this board

• Love 2

Watching this now because Rob Lowe.
The skin care product conversation should have been funny. But it wasn't.

Argh. Grammatical error taking me out of the scene.
"I'd like you to show him, or her, or they, it's okay to be who you are"
should be:
"I'd like you to show him, or her, or them, it's okay to be who you are."

ETA: even the University of California San Francisco agrees with me that “they” is used for the singular nonbinary subject and “them” is used for the singular nonbinary object (lgbt.ucsf.edu/pronounsmatter)

I'm okay with Liv Tyler so long as the character isn't a stretch for her, which this doesn't seem to be.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

"I'd like you to show him, or her, or they, it's okay to be who you are"
should be:
"I'd like you to show him, or her, or them, it's okay to be who you are."

That is no longer a grammatical error in major publishers style books. That side of the social war won after a lightning fast social revolution.

The woman representing perhaps the majority of the audience knew her side had lost so she added the they or them not knowing how the transgender person would react

Just watched the pilot, which I thought was okay. I've never watched any 911 show and don't like procedurals, but it was pretty good. The only part that really took me out of it was the "Welcome to Texas" sign as Rob and son drove west from NYC, through Texarkana, Arkansas toward Dallas, where not one single sagebrush or piece of sand exists. WTH show.

I also was freaked by Rob being more tan than a Hispanic and AA actor, but then I guess there's tanning beds in NYC too.

What will drive me away is Liv Tyler. Holy cats, she sucks and stunk up this pilot. She's not attractive, is a crummy actor, and her snow-white face doesn't fit with living in Texas. Geesh, she's like a gigantic ghost. If there is going to be a love interest for Rob, I'd rather it be the turban firefighting lady.

• Love 3
On 1/20/2020 at 12:15 PM, Raja said:

I think that is why the Justice department lady was there. Texan's were presumably judged racist in action so the Feds took over and approves the Fire Department hiring. So the imported Captain was given carte blanche to build the woke Dream Team, even pushing aside all the applications from Texas firefighters.  I guess like some states approve all the police officers no matter what local police or Sheriff's department wants to hire so it is with Texas firefighters?

So I don't know if this is a deliberate reference, and I don't know what the current state of things are, but the Austin Fire Department was on a hiring freeze for the longest time because there weren't enough diverse candidates passing the written exam.

• Useful 2
5 minutes ago, Zoe said:

So I don't know if this is a deliberate reference, and I don't know what the current state of things are, but the Austin Fire Department was on a hiring freeze for the longest time because there weren't enough diverse candidates passing the written exam.

Well, they did show the guy who had flunked the written part a bunch of times getting hired, but they chose not to mention why he flunked it. I wondered if it was supposed to be an ESL issue, or if maybe he was dyslexic. Since they didn't explain, I guess the point was that it didn't matter. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Well, they did show the guy who had flunked the written part a bunch of times getting hired, but they chose not to mention why he flunked it. I wondered if it was supposed to be an ESL issue, or if maybe he was dyslexic. Since they didn't explain, I guess the point was that it didn't matter. 

My guess based on the two episodes is that he has some sort of learning disability that we'll find out about at some point in the future.

Watched this tonight because there was nothing else on, and thought, How bad can it be? (Answer: pretty bad).  I think I may have gotten a headache from all the eye-rolling I was doing.

The writers really filled in ALL the squares on their Diversity Bingo cards, didn't they? Plus the bonus of Baby In A Tree.

I hadn't been watching other shows Rob Lowe has been in lately, so it really struck me that time has finally caught up with him. He actually looks like a man in his mid-50's now (albeit a handsome, in-good-shape one).

• Love 6
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 11:32 PM, Raiderred said:

As a Texan, I thought I'd give it a chance.  It was pure Hollywood's idea of Texas. I was out within ten mins! It was so corny and oh so preachy. Hollywood, you portray Texas like we are all back woods born and breed. Give it a rest! Move on there's noyhing to see here folks. And of all places to portray-AUSTIN, KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD-AUSTIN? GET THE HELL OUT OF TEXAS!

I feel your pain. I hate how Russians are being portrayed in Hollywood, by people who don't even speak a lick of Russian... and i'm not even Russian lol they use my country when they need someone who speaks Russian but comes from a country few heard of just to appear worldly.

BUT

did you really expect a true-to-life portrayal of Texas from Ryan-king-of-camp-Murphy?

Buck and Eddie had 10000x more chemistry than two gay kids here... 

Rob Lowe is that aging pretty that ages very weirdly. but I like that they are using it as a gag joke and running with it. self-irony looks good on anyone.

• Love 1

Rob Lowe's character said something like "Sometimes you need an outsider to fix things" ... I'm old enough to remember that he was in the movie The Outsiders. Cute reference, if that is what they were doing.

How STUPID was microwave guy? Throws the burning item into a trashcan?!?!  I can't remember if he was aiming for a sink. If my family member(s) died due to that kind of stupidity, I'd be furious. 

The fact that the responding fire unit wasn't more concerned about big explosions and such seemed ridiculous to me.

• Love 2

17 HOURS AGO, SHAPESHIFTER SAID:

"I'd like you to show him, or her, or they, it's okay to be who you are"
should be:
"I'd like you to show him, or her, or them, it's okay to be who you are."

That is no longer a grammatical error in major publishers style books. That side of the social war won after a lightning fast social revolution.

It has to be a grammatical error. You can say, "I'd like you to show him", or, "I'd like you to show her", but you can't say, "I'd like you to show they". Poor grammar.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Musicismyjam said:

17 HOURS AGO, SHAPESHIFTER SAID:

"I'd like you to show him, or her, or they, it's okay to be who you are"
should be:
"I'd like you to show him, or her, or them, it's okay to be who you are."

That is no longer a grammatical error in major publishers style books. That side of the social war won after a lightning fast social revolution.

It has to be a grammatical error. You can say, "I'd like you to show him", or, "I'd like you to show her", but you can't say, "I'd like you to show they". Poor grammar.

I say its revolutionary times, not the Queen's standard anymore as the woman doesn't know if the transgender identifies as a male, a female or as a nonbinary they. The singular they as opposed to a plural them.

As a living evolving language American English rules have not yet been codified for the new world order.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

I say its revolutionary times, not the Queen's standard anymore as the woman doesn't know if the transgender identifies as a male, a female or as a nonbinary they. The singular they as opposed to a plural them.

As a living evolving language American English rules have not yet been codified for the new world order.

Even UCSF still shows both "they" and "them" for the nonbinary singular, with "they" being the subject form and "them" being the object form. Has this changed again so that "them"  is reserved exclusively for plural? If so, please point to a source. I am struggling to stay current.

2 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Rob Lowe's character said something like "Sometimes you need an outsider to fix things" ... I'm old enough to remember that he was in the movie The Outsiders. Cute reference, if that is what they were doing.

That is cute, as is the whole Rob Lowe's character being the authority on male beauty regimes. But none of it is coming off as funny. I don't know exactly what's missing to make it humorous, but this show would be a lot more successful with those comedic relief notes. Maybe TPTB of the 9-1-1 franchise made them tone down the fun?

Edited by shapeshifter
missing link
On 1/21/2020 at 5:53 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I was thinking about it since I watched it yesterday and it is crazy how often in the pilot for some action type procedural show someone dies in the line of duty. Off the top of my head before this show there was Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, SEAL team, Hawaii 5-0 and even the original CSI so as soon as those guys went to that first call I knew someone was getting killed.

Speaking of Chicago Fire, when going on the diversity draft Cap ended up in New York and Chicago, home of other recent TV fire departments. I wonder why they didn't go to Seattle for the Viral Queen instead of Miami?

On 1/19/2020 at 11:35 PM, rhys said:

Awfully lot going on in one episode. Liv's acting is terrible. Oy!

Jesus, she is horrible. Another case of famous parent(s)getting you into show business when you’re a no talent😳

• Love 2
On 1/21/2020 at 5:44 PM, oceanview said:

Fond fan of  BD Wong.  Wolud love to see him on a new series

OT: but he’s on Nora From Queens (new show w/Awkwafina). 

On topic—Most of cast is ok. I don’t like Liv Tyler. I especially like Judd (PSTD man) and his cute as a button wife. 

• Love 1
On 1/22/2020 at 11:28 PM, shapeshifter said:

they did show the guy who had flunked the written part a bunch of times getting hired, but they chose not to mention why he flunked it. I wondered if it was supposed to be an ESL issue, or if maybe he was dyslexic.

I 100% thought it was going to become a dyslexia story. I was kind of disappointed that they just dropped it and didn't bother to figure out why he was flunking the written test.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:44 PM, oceanview said:

Fond fan of  BD Wong.  Wolud love to see him on a new series

Fwiw, he's currently in a show on Comedy Central, playing the father of the main character, who is played by Akwafina. The show is called (I think): "Akwafina is Nora from Queens".

The ONLY reason I tuned in is because I heard rumors that the show was going to feature what you all are calling "diversity" and what I call "my people" and that it was going to do it in a respectful way that had some depth. I am not a fan of Rob Lowe (who I find annoying) or crisis-procedurals in general.

When you see a show stocked with mostly white normative characters, no one calls it heavy-handed that everyone is straight and white and bland. But in real life, you have to work hard to filter out all the rest of humanity, and for no actual reason really. It doesn't enhance the plot or give any greater depth to the characters. It's just a thing producers do, possibly to avoid having to hear their shows are "heavy handedly diverse."

I take the other criticisms-- that the consent decree forced them to go all the way to NYC to find a leader, that they are bizarrely misrepresenting the local culture and geography and the vegetation en route from NYC... I hope they fix that stuff.

I could not believe this conversation:
"I was surprised when I met your wife"
"Why? Because she's Black?"
"No-- because she's smart!"
WTF? It's surprising that a woman is smart? It's like he tried to disclaim one insult by inventing another?

• Love 5
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I could not believe this conversation:
"I was surprised when I met your wife"
"Why? Because she's Black?"
"No-- because she's smart!"
WTF? It's surprising that a woman is smart? It's like he tried to disclaim one insult by inventing another?

I took the jokey insult to mean that either the husband was too dumb to have a smart wife or the husband had too big of an ego to have a smart wife. FWIW, I am a high IQ woman, and didn’t even consider that it was meant to imply that most women aren’t smart until I read your post. 

• Love 8
On 1/21/2020 at 12:46 PM, Neurochick said:

Coming from NYC it IS a bargain.

I thought the show was okay.  I don't mind the "heavy handed" diversity because I'll take diversity any way it comes.

I think the show was trying to say that Austin and NYC aren't that very different from each other.

He's a public servant in a red state.  I'd be shocked if the salary was much more than 4,500 a month.  He also could have easily gotten a large normal looking house for much less than that. 

• Love 2

So, two questions. One, this is set in Austin right? Austin Texas? The city semi jokingly referred to in Texas as "The Peoples Republic of Austin" due to how quirky it is? Well known to be a stronghold of liberalism and hippies and counterculture? Keep Austin Weird Austin? The southern Portland? That Austin? Why is this version of Austin every Texas stereotype imaginable, when the whole joke about Austin is how NOT like the rest of Texas is often is? I mean, I guess the were going for the culture clash between New York and Texas, or later showing how it wasnt quite as different, but it so bizarre to hear people talking about an infamously enormous city like its some podunk where there are two traffic lights and the firefighters ride to fires on a donkey. I mean, I know that in Hollywood every city that isnt on a  coast is some kind of backwater hicksville, but this is kind of ridiculous so far. 

Second, what the hell is Liv Tyler doing? Why is she so breathy, even in really intense life or death situations? I have liked her in other things, but I guess some directors are able to use her breathy, dainty style of acting to their advantage, and some double down on it, to not so epic results, and I can already see which one this will be. 

That all being said, I do think that this has potential, and while it had a very pilot style clunkyness to it, I am still going to see where it goes. While it really went nuts setting up a thousand different things, those things were certainly interesting, so I am interested in tuning in. 

• Love 4

I just got around to watching the pilot and my oh my it was quite horrible. The wokeness and the stereotyping were so in your face and over the top it distracted from any story that might be trying to be told. I may try another episode or two but maybe not. I guess it can’t get much worse. 

I lurve me some Rob Lowe but the idea that there was no one in the city or even the state that could rebuild that station is insulting and truly stupid. And holy stinking pile of crap Liv Tyler can not act. She was a standout of really bad in a sea full of bad. And her voice, oh good grief her voice, it’s like nails on a chalkboard to me. Whispery, high pitched, whiny nails that make me want to punch my tv in its face. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So, two questions. One, this is set in Austin right? Austin Texas? The city semi jokingly referred to in Texas as "The Peoples Republic of Austin" due to how quirky it is? Well known to be a stronghold of liberalism and hippies and counterculture? Keep Austin Weird Austin? The southern Portland? That Austin? Why is this version of Austin every Texas stereotype imaginable, when the whole joke about Austin is how NOT like the rest of Texas is often is? I mean, I guess the were going for the culture clash between New York and Texas, or later showing how it wasnt quite as different, but it so bizarre to hear people talking about an infamously enormous city like its some podunk where there are two traffic lights and the firefighters ride to fires on a donkey. I mean, I know that in Hollywood every city that isnt on a  coast is some kind of backwater hicksville, but this is kind of ridiculous so far. 

Maybe they wanted to set it in Arlen, Texas but Mike Judge wouldn't sign off on it.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 1/24/2020 at 2:19 PM, Tdoc72 said:

OT: but he’s on Nora From Queens (new show w/Awkwafina). 

On topic—Most of cast is ok. I don’t like Liv Tyler. I especially like Judd (PSTD man) and his cute as a button wife. 

Thanks for the update on BDWong.  Will have to keep an eye out.  Liv Tyler :  Between her horrible hair that looks like it needs to be cut and washed, her horrible voice and non acting skills, she may be the first one to   be gone from this show.  No chemistry   with her either, with anybody.  Just annoying

On 1/25/2020 at 3:09 PM, shapeshifter said:

I took the jokey insult to mean that either the husband was too dumb to have a smart wife or the husband had too big of an ego to have a smart wife. FWIW, I am a high IQ woman, and didn’t even consider that it was meant to imply that most women aren’t smart until I read your post. 

I took it that way too....(how did he get such a bright woman), strictly as a joke that friends can make to each other.     Harmless  

• Love 3

Exactly what route did they take from NYC to Austin?!? East Texas looks nothing like the desert they drove through.

I thought the same thing.  Weird choice. 

I like original 911 a lot and I gave this one a shot and might even watch episode 2.  But I felt like an anvil had been dropped on my head. I get the need to be woke but the heavy-handedness was a bit much.  Also, Liv Tyler is a terrible actress.

I just finally watched it last night and everyone else has posted exactly what we were saying while watching it.

I live an hour south of Austin in San Antonio and have lived in Austin and thought, ironic the show was so big on being woke, but then stereotyped Texas.  No, we all don't wear cowboy hats, have a thick southern drawl (the actors accents were so fake it was painful), hang out all the same local bar and line dance to 90's country hits.  

Not a fan of Liv Tyler or her voice.  

I'll try a few more episodes, but not sure this one is going to be staying on my already oversized DVR list.  

I couldn't gt into this pilot at all. Liv Tyler's voice sounded weird. I disliked Rob Lowe's character storyline. 

Anyone else think the show was weirdly dark? It's like the editor is using a blue/dark filter. It reminded me off how scary movies and thrillers of the 90s like Se7en all had that blue/dark tint.

On 1/31/2020 at 7:27 AM, ShaNaeNae said:

hang out all the same local bar

I thought it was pretty clearly the station hangout, which was why Liv Tyler made the Rob Lowe guy (I don't know ANY names!) go there, and then that's why the PTSD FF and his "wise" wife (totally different than "smart" btw, imo), were also there.  It was just a regular hang out for that group, not all of Austin.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I thought it was pretty clearly the station hangout, which was why Liv Tyler made the Rob Lowe guy (I don't know ANY names!) go there, and then that's why the PTSD FF and his "wise" wife (totally different than "smart" btw, imo), were also there.  It was just a regular hang out for that group, not all of Austin.

I probably missed that, I was doing the dishes while watching.  

On 2/1/2020 at 4:51 PM, leftlane said:

Anyone else think the show was weirdly dark? It's like the editor is using a blue/dark filter. It reminded me off how scary movies and thrillers of the 90s like Se7en all had that blue/dark tint.

Yes, I didn't care for that.  It was very blue.  

What happened to Liv Tyler?  She has not aged well and she's not even old!  I saw her in Armaegeddon and thought she was beautiful!  Her acting was spot on too.  WHAT HAPPENED??  It was totally distracting to see her wooden acting and looking like a cartoon of herself.  Maybe she needs to update her look.

• Love 3

I got about 2/3 of the way through the pilot before I realised I didn't actually have to keep watching. 

I can deal with the Justice League of Diverse Firefighters. At least some actors of color are getting prime time paychecks from it, even if it isn't too logical from a plot point. Liv Tyler, though, just killed it for me...the overly weird drama about the non-arrest for harassing the guy re: the dead sister and the weird delivery in the pepper scene...just took me out of an otherwise benignly existing procedural.

• Love 2

Some harsh-snark, which, considering what a train wreck the original was, is rather benign:

I wouldn't be taking any skin care advice from Rob Lowe, who has crypt-keeper-level wrinkles. HD is not his friend. Or maybe he should lay off the dirt facials.

Liv Tyler should have been cast as the trans man. 

And finally, this cast of characters is like a 21st c. update to a WWII movie, which usually was Native American, Brooklyn Jewish guy, a hick from the stix, and always always some guy named Tex with a gee-tar. 

• LOL 4
On 1/21/2020 at 5:29 PM, DearEvette said:

Well, except Liv Tyler.  Was she really the best person to audition for the role?  Because she is ...not great.  I don't remember her being this bad. But then again, the only role I can really remember her in was Arwen in Lord of the Rings.

I binged this show this weekend and now I'm caught up. As I was watching, I kept referring to her as She Elf 🤣

On 1/21/2020 at 5:29 PM, DearEvette said:

I do like them setting up Rob Lowe as a metrosexual.  I got a bit of a chuckle out of his pride in his skin care regimen.

I liked that too. And I referred to him as Rob Lowe, not Owen. 🤣

On 1/25/2020 at 2:09 PM, shapeshifter said:

Yeah I took it as a jab at Judd not Grace and I still take it that way.

On 1/23/2020 at 1:23 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

How STUPID was microwave guy? Throws the burning item into a trashcan?!?!  I can't remember if he was aiming for a sink. If my family member(s) died due to that kind of stupidity, I'd be furious. 

I finally got around to watching this -- it's been on my PVR for months -- and I remembered why I don't like Ryan Murphy shows. The writing of this thing is so damned contrived. Microwave Bonehead puts a foil-wrapped packet in the microwave? Does anyone still do that? And then throws the flaming nugget into a paper-filled waste basket? Nope.

The 126 sends its best, most experienced firefighters to a growing fire at a fertilizer plant and they take no precautions against a likely explosion of one of the many, many storage drums of explosive and/or incendiary materials? Austin civic authorities would have been sued down to nubs by enraged families. Nope.

And finally, instead of subjecting Judd to an interview-that-wasn't-an-interview-except-it-totally-was, why didn't Capt. RobLowe, oh, I don't know, start with the tour of the rebuilt firehouse as a friendly gesture? If this is Owen's idea of inspiring (or even competent) leadership, he isn't qualified to be Austin's new head Dogcatcher. The whole plot thread should have been a non-starter. Nope!  

Three strikes, Murphy. I'm done.

• Love 1