Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E09: A Surprise Delivery

Sew Sumi
  • Start Topic

Jessa goes into labor two weeks before her due date; Joe and Kendra find out the gender of their second baby with a smashing reveal; another Duggar reveals she's expecting.

They teased Mary's funeral, but it looks like that's next week.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
Just now, Rabbittron said:

Why is it a surprise delivery? The only thing that would be a surprise if you didn't know that you were pregnant. 

Because she was two weeks early!  Shocking!  I think she also had a pretty quick labor as women having their third are wont to do.  Obviously, they're running out of ideas for episode titles.

• LOL 9
  • Love 5

-- Why the hell did I just watch Jinger get her hair colored?  What am I missing here?  Michelle helpfully advised during a TH that having long hair is Biblical, but didn't the stylist say she was only taking 3, maybe 4 inches off Jinger's hair?  Hard to believe 3 inches is what's going to make or break her.

-- Why the hell was Jilly Muffin on my screen again?  While I think it was a little on the extreme side for TLC to ban the Dillards from appearing on the show, that's the Dillards' problem, not mine.  All I know is Jill was no longer annoying me every week.  I guess she was trying to act cute, animated?  No idea, really, but she just came across as immature and kind of... simple.

-- What the hell was going on with Lauren during the plane ride back from TN when Jessa went into labor??  She looked like she was part physically uncomfortable, part hardcore pissed off.  I wonder if she ever watches herself and has any awareness that her face is always weirdly contorted, like she's smelling shit or something?

-- And speaking of Lauren, why does it not surprise me in the least that her TH about Ivy Jane had nothing to do with being happy for Jessa and Ben, nothing to do with Ivy, and everything to do with herself??  Gah!  Seriously, what the actual hell is wrong with her?

-- Kendra does love her surprises, and is so damn sweet and cute it's hard to begrudge her them.

__ Lauren should take notes from on Abbie on how to be honest about feeling like shit without being a self-centered diva.   8 weeks along and already multiple ER trips/hospital admissions?  That sounds utterly miserable.

-- Spurge is ADORABLE.

Edited by SabineElisabeth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 20
12 minutes ago, SabineElisabeth said:

__ Lauren should take notes from on Abbie on how to be honest about feeling like shit without being a self-centered diva.   8 weeks along and already multiple ER trips/hospital admissions?  That sounds utterly miserable.

Abbie does seem like the type who will be brutally honest with you. I also get a feeling she has a good sense of humor. 

• Love 14

I know that many of us have watched the Duggar’s for years, yet the premise of the entire Duggar/TLC franchise is so unusual. Old school courting, weddings, labor, delivery, conservative religion etc. Much of it is cringeworthy or just nauseating 🤮 On paper is doesn’t make sense as a long running show. Yet here it is many years later. I just don’t get it. Anybody else?

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

How is having long hair “biblical?”

Working from home today, so rewatched that part so as to bring you Michelle's exact words from her TH : )  So sayeth Michelle, "I think there's some style preference and some personal conviction, but overall, long hair....I think we've just always read in the Scriptures that it's a glory for a woman to have long hair."  

• LOL 4
9 minutes ago, Namaste said:

With all of Jessa’s previous labor/delivery issues you’d think she’d take herself to a hospital at the first sign of labor. Why take the risk?

Because so far Jesus has protected her.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
Just now, lookeyloo said:

Because so far Jesus has protected her.

And, money. Hospital deliveries cost a lot. Home birthing is free. Especially when you are a favorite of Jesus and don't have to waste money on a doctor, and your sister is a midwife. What could possibly go wrong?

Oh, wait . . . 

• Love 19
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

As usual, it's Paul. First Corinthians 1, 14-15  ....

I'm not really a Paul hater although I know I often sound like one.. Most of the things he says that are stupid are things I think primarily reflect the fashions and self-serving beliefs of the powers-that-be of his time and are a focus on the trivial that irks me.

There's a lot of great stuff in those letters, too, however, I think. And while I don't believe what he believed, I admire the brains and persistence he showed in his life.

But this kind of thing -- for modern people to grasp it and pretend it means something important. (And then go further to think it means something that doesn't even relate to Paul's context here, which is about covering your head while praying...)  Yeesh. 

KJV because, ya think I'm a heathen? 

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. 

(Have no idea how "nature" teaches you about that long hair thing and men.....It's the male lion that has the hefty, Cade-like mane...and I don't think anybody shames lions about it...)

And yet the Duggar women go along with this as a fashion commandment from on high (not about praying in a house of God!)

I'll bet Gothard occasionally has a good laugh about all the curly long hair he got to see because he was able to convince a bunch of dunderheads that this was a really important thing that matters like crazy to God. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

JRod explained that one in her makeup tutorial. Hair is a crowning glory, covering, blah blah blah.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Please help me sort through these Duggar "facts".  

* Jessa said that in a hospital, all women are given pitocin to shrink their uteruses after birth.  Is this a current practice.  I did not experience this at my hospital births, but that was 20+ years ago.

* Jessa said she had a planned hospital birth but as usual the midwife was out of town.  Hasn't she used Teresa for all her other births, and once again used her?  I don't think she planned a hospital birth at all.  (probably to avoid all the procedures & meds that the evil hospital forces on you).

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

Working from home today, so rewatched that part so as to bring you Michelle's exact words from her TH : )  So sayeth Michelle, "I think there's some style preference and some personal conviction, but overall, long hair....I think we've just always read in the Scriptures that it's a glory for a woman to have long hair."  

2 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

And, um, Samson too, right, Meech?

Edited by JoanArc
  • LOL 5
6 minutes ago, luvbadtv said:

Please help me sort through these Duggar "facts".  

* Jessa said that in a hospital, all women are given pitocin to shrink their uteruses after birth.  Is this a current practice.  I did not experience this at my hospital births, but that was 20+ years ago.

* Jessa said she had a planned hospital birth but as usual the midwife was out of town.  Hasn't she used Teresa for all her other births, and once again used her?  I don't think she planned a hospital birth at all.  (probably to avoid all the procedures & meds that the evil hospital forces on you).

I guess the backup midwife didn't have hospital privileges? TBH, does AR have any nurse-midwives? I didn't think they were allowed to practice in AR. 

I am sure she planned a homebirth all along.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Namaste said:

I know that many of us have watched the Duggar’s for years, yet the premise of the entire Duggar/TLC franchise is so unusual. Old school courting, weddings, labor, delivery, conservative religion etc. Much of it is cringeworthy or just nauseating 🤮 On paper is doesn’t make sense as a long running show. Yet here it is many years later. I just don’t get it. Anybody else?

Cheap to produce. TLC hasn't found another reality show franchise that has the same steady followers as the Duggars. I think only the 90 Day Fiance franchise is getting more viewers than Counting On at the moment. I know a lot of people stopped following the Busbys from OutDaughtered now that it is more scripted and the parents are all about $$$. People stopped watching The Little Couple after Will and Zoey started to get older and their behavior stopped being cute. 

The fact the Duggars have lasted this long is very interesting. Is it because they are so bland and boring or what?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

TBH, does AR have any nurse-midwives? I didn't think they were allowed to practice in AR. 

They do and they're allowed hospital privileges.

2 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

People stopped watching The Little Couple after Will and Zoey started to get older and their behavior stopped being cute. 

They were holding on in the 1.2 M to 1.3 M range last season.  Duggars dropped below a million viewers again this season.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

They do and they're allowed hospital privileges.

They were holding on in 1.2 M to 1.3 M range last season.  Duggars dropped below a million viewers again this season.

Interesting. I never checked the Little Couple ratings and I'm actually surprised that they are holding that high.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They asked Jeremy if he prefers Jinger as a brunette or a blonde. He took the "diplomatic" route.

Ah okay. I wondered if he blurted that out involuntarily after she changed to blonde. He has more sense than I was giving him credit for. LOL I mean, damning with faint praise and all, but I'll give credit where credit is due. 😉 

• Love 2

Lauren has resting bitch face.  That does not go well with a drama queen personality.  She did manage to smile in the car on the way to the airport but oddly it was a smile facing the camera not anyone else and she somehow managed a thousand yard smile.  She really is hard to watch.

Poor Abbie, doesn't quite sound like she had hyperemesis but sounds like she was pretty close to it, that has to be the worst.  EDITED based on Sew Sumi's post below, didn't know Abbie actually did have HG, it looks like she handled it well but I can't even imagine what it must be like

Home birth may have been Jessa's plan all along even while claiming she'd use the hospital but to me Ben's body language and face read like he is just over it and not on board with the minimal medical care, half-trained midwives and relatives overseeing his kids births.  

Spurgeon insisting that removing Ivy's bow would mean she's now a boy was the absolutely cutest thing, second place to Garret picking daintily at that cake instead of diving into it like everyone thought he would.

Also liked Jordan (?was that her?) and the hair color joke - for once a totally age appropriate slightly silly slightly gross mainstream sort of joke you might expect any kid her age to tell.

2 hours ago, cereality said:

And Jana does NOT seem thrilled with her mother

Dad either, that "I'd like to see him do that" comment about JB using his face to smash a cake came across as someone saying I sound like I'm kidding but I totally want him to do that and would actually push his face into the cake if given the chance.

Edited by sigmaforce86
Edited for new info & for spelling
  • LOL 3
  • Love 17

Ugh.  I’m sorry, but I just cannot stand Lauren.  I know that it’s beyond sad to lose a baby, but she is such a constant attention whore that I roll my eyes every time she graces my screen.  The way she looked down at that baby, holding her at such a distance, was just gross.  Poor Josiah is going to be worn the hell out by the time he’s 30 from constantly having to tend to her.

I love Jana and Abbie’s relationship.  It seems genuine and that’s all I can hope for from this bunch.

Oh, and Jessa?  Please have your next baby in a hospital.  I think you’re a major bitch, but I don’t want to see you bleed out on your couch, okay?  At this point, I can do a perfect impression of Michelle’s “Mother?  Is bleeding?  After birth.”  That’s enough.

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
One more thing: Jinger’s baby is just about the cutest little thing I’ve ever seen!
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Lauren has resting bitch face.  That does not go well with a drama queen personality.  She did manage to smile in the car on the way to the airport but oddly it was a smile facing the camera not anyone else and she somehow managed a thousand yard smile.  She really is hard to watch.

Poor Abbie, doesn't quite sound like she had hyperemesis but sounds like she was pretty close to it, that has to be the worst.  EDITED based on Sew Sumi's post below, didn't know Abbie actually did have HG, it looks like she handled it well but I can't even imagine what it must be like

Home birth may have been Jessa's plan all along even while claiming she'd use the hospital but to me Ben's body language and face read like he is just over it and not on board with the minimal medical care, half-trained midwives and relatives overseeing his kids births.  

Spurgeon insisting that removing Ivy's bow would mean she's now a boy was the absolutely cutest thing, second place to Garret picking daintily at that cake instead of diving into it like everyone thought he would.

Also liked Jordan (?was that her?) and the hair color joke - for once a totally age appropriate slightly silly slightly gross mainstream sort of joke you might expect any kid her age to tell.

Dad either, that "I'd like to see him do that" comment about JB using his face to smash a cake came across as someone saying I sound like I'm kidding but I totally want him to do that and would actually push his face into the cake if given the chance.

I too thought Ben acted pissed that what happened after Spurgie’s birth was being repeated with the birth of Ivy.  It seemed very apparent that he is OVER IT.  I’m hoping that he sets his foot down and tells Jessa “no more babies” unless she agrees to an obstetrician and hospital birth.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13

Jessa allowed male paramedics to see and check her ??? 

Too bad the baby couldn't travel with Jessa in the ambulance... 

Michelle  - guess what ??? your grown daughters can go though L&D without you getting a "stirrup" side view.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

I too thought Ben acted pissed that what happened after Spurgie’s birth was being repeated with the birth of Ivy.  It seemed very apparent that he is OVER IT.  I’m hoping that he sets his foot down and tells Jessa “no more babies” unless she agrees to an obstetrician and hospital birth.

Lol Ben telling Jessa what to do???   When hell freezes over!  Lol

• LOL 20
7 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

I’m hoping that he sets his foot down and tells Jessa “no more babies” unless she agrees to an obstetrician and hospital birth.

I was writing while @Jeanne222 was posting. Yeah, that's ^^ a nice idea. Not happening. Ben's a wholly owned Duggar asset. He won't buck the Duggar party line which in the case of the birth of Jessa's babies, means home deliveries attended by Jilly midwife, MOTY Michelle, and whatever sketchy maybe-licensed (or not) lay midwife they have lined up.

And if anything goes wrong Jessa says, and everybody agrees, oh well she'd planned to give birth in the hospital but her "midwife was out of town." Like, (a) any midwife she chose would have hospital privileges (that's really hilarious in light of their long associations with the Fedoskys et al), and (b) a licensed medical professional would go out of town without arranging someone to cover their pending obstetric cases. 

• Love 21
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

They asked Jeremy if he prefers Jinger as a brunette or a blonde. He took the "diplomatic" route.

Maybe he really meant he'd prefer it dyed ginger. 😈

"Do you like her hair blonde or brunette?" 

"I love ginger! I love ginger!" 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 22
28 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Ben telling Jessa what to do???   When hell freezes over!

I think he lost his patriarchal privileges when he and Jessa fought over the naming of their first child, and Ben's first and only 'win' turned out to be a disaster.  Jessa now runs the show, and Ben is the hapless sidekick.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

Wanted to add - Is this bothering me more than it should or is it a legitimate concern?   When they were driving to the airport Lauren was in the center back seat and Josiah behind the front passenger (Mom).  I thought this wasn't very safe - Josiah had the full seat belt from his seat, shoulder and lap.  Pregnant Lauren who has already miscarried once had the center seat lap belt only.  If they had crashed or even stopped short quickly enough she wouldn't have flown off the seat but she would have bent in half.  Could that have caused another miscarriage or a problem with the pregnancy?  Maybe, maybe not but I feel like why take the chance, shouldn't Lauren have been encouraged by her HUSBAND to take the door side seat with the safer seat belt?   It is probably not likely to be a problem but I feel like it's a "better safe than sorry" scenario and such a small easy thing for them to coordinate.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Wanted to add - Is this bothering me more than it should or is it a legitimate concern?   When they were driving to the airport Lauren was in the center back seat and Josiah behind the front passenger (Mom).  I thought this wasn't very safe - Josiah had the full seat belt from his seat, shoulder and lap.  Pregnant Lauren who has already miscarried once had the center seat lap belt only.  If they had crashed or even stopped short quickly enough she wouldn't have flown off the seat but she would have bent in half.  Could that have caused another miscarriage or a problem with the pregnancy?  Maybe, maybe not but I feel like why take the chance, shouldn't Lauren have been encouraged by her HUSBAND to take the door side seat with the safer seat belt?   It is probably not likely to be a problem but I feel like it's a "better safe than sorry" scenario and such a small easy thing for them to coordinate.

I suspect the Duggars don't really believe in seat belts and all that stuff anyway. Just the evil gubmint interfering with Godly people's lives. They probably only buckle up for the cameras. And I'm sure Josiah and Lauren were much more concerned with the appearance that the man lets the "lady" enter the car before he does, and then can help her out of the car. They don't have to worry about safety. Because Jesus.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, PuffinFizz said:

One thing that annoyed me was Jessa saying in the TH after she had given birth and was bleeding heavily that her and Ben discussed it quickly and decided to go ahead and go to the hospital! Like what is there to discuss exactly? You’re bleeding to death ffs! Either I die here on this couch and you’re a single father who has to raise three kids alone or we go to the hospital and save my life. Gosh she’s stupid. When baby number four comes along (which it will eventually) if she doesn’t go to the hospital and the same thing happens, hopefully Ben tells her she can just die now he’ll be fine, he’ll marry Jana and they’ll be happy. 

Jessa did come across like it was no big deal having to go to the hospital.  She glossed over it like she had a minor cut on her finger & they had to decide if she needed stitches.  She also made it seem like it was no big deal she needed a transfusion after Spurgeon's birth.

I've commented on this before that I wonder what the hospital doctor & staff thought when she rolled in without any records of prenatal care that could be referenced as well as her explanation of her prenatal care or lack thereof. (This is assuming she didn't have any prenatal care incl whatever care by Jill.)

• Love 8
17 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

The question is, a glory for whom?  Is it about self glorification?  Is it about glorifying or gratifying your headship in some way?  

I'd like to hear her thoughts about the fact that the men whose stories are told in the books of the Bible were routinely known to wear long hair as well, yet the men of the Duggar clan do not.   I'd also like a ruling on whether or not the men of the clan should all sport full beards if all those men they diligently read about in the Bible did.

God only cares about how females look and present themselves?

• Useful 3
  • Love 8