Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E09: A Surprise Delivery

Sew Sumi
  • Start Topic

24 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

The question is, a glory for whom?  Is it about self glorification?  Is it about glorifying or gratifying your headship in some way?  

I'd like to hear her thoughts about the fact that the men whose stories are told in the books of the Bible were routinely known to wear long hair as well, yet the men of the Duggar clan do not.   I'd also like a ruling on whether or not the men of the clan should all sport full beards if all those men they diligently read about in the Bible did.

God only cares about how females look and present themselves?

Apparently, he does. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, JoanArc said:

“In tonight’s episode of I didn’t know I was Pregnant A Duggar,  A local pregnant woman finds out she’s a fundamentalist then sprays her couch with amniotic fluid.”

That is one way to get out of hosting Family Fun Night

• LOL 23
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Jessa did come across like it was no big deal having to go to the hospital.  She glossed over it like she had a minor cut on her finger & they had to decide if she needed stitches.  She also made it seem like it was no big deal she needed a transfusion after Spurgeon's birth.

I've commented on this before that I wonder what the hospital doctor & staff thought when she rolled in without any records of prenatal care that could be referenced as well as her explanation of her prenatal care or lack thereof. (This is assuming she didn't have any prenatal care incl whatever care by Jill.)

I think this is the real reason they are choosing home births. Most likely no hospital will allow a film crew in for a birthing for a random patient who has no history of prenatal care with someone with privileges at that hospital.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

I think this is the real reason they are choosing home births. Most likely no hospital will allow a film crew in for a birthing for a random patient who has no history of prenatal care with someone with privileges at that hospital.

That's a horrific possibility to consider.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

If they had crashed or even stopped short quickly enough she wouldn't have flown off the seat but she would have bent in half.  Could that have caused another miscarriage or a problem with the pregnancy?  Maybe, maybe not but I feel like why take the chance, shouldn't Lauren have been encouraged by her HUSBAND to take the door side seat with the safer seat belt?   It is probably not likely to be a problem but I feel like it's a "better safe than sorry" scenario and such a small easy thing for them to coordinate.

I doubt any of them thought of that stuff.  Did they even call the hospital to let them know they were coming, and why?  It makes for a more dramatic story if they had to rush to the hospital.

The younger Duggars seem to have a very lackadaisical attitude towards birth.  Everything's fine, until it isn't, and then they expect the heathens to sort it all out for them.  Yet Michelle has had the majority of her births in a hospital.

I guess it's a combination of the youngers not having good insurance (or none), and being convinced that giving birth on camera is better for the brand (We're so holy that we can have substandard medical during the pregnancy because Jesus protects us).  But when the shit hits the fan, video of a fast transfer to the hospital also makes for good TV, but the viewers lose the footage of the heathens actually delivering the baby or saving the mother's life.  For them, it's all about the show/ministry.

It's a win either way, unless the parents opt out and refuse to gamble on the outcome of the mothers or the babys chance of surviving.  Then it's "so and so had their baby *yawn*.  Anyway, here he or she is *yawn*.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

That's a horrific possibility to consider.  

I can believe it with some of them. Kendra, Lauren, Jinger, no. But I can see Jessa, Joy and Anna. I hope Abbie is smart enough, especially as she had HG issues. 

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Am I the only person who thinks that if you feel compelled to designate a day and deem it "Fun Night," it almost certainly won't be any fun? 

Throw in “Family” with “Fun Night” and for much of the population, that’s an oxymoron.

• LOL 11
4 hours ago, Zahdii said:

I think he lost his patriarchal privileges when he and Jessa fought over the naming of their first child, and Ben's first and only 'win' turned out to be a disaster.  Jessa now runs the show, and Ben is the hapless sidekick.

It would be nice if Pa Seewald, who was ecstatic about giving up his first born as an indentured servant, would have a talk with Ben. Help his son reclaim his balls. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
19 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

So sayeth Michelle, "I think there's some style preference and some personal conviction, but overall, long hair....I think we've just always read in the Scriptures that it's a glory for a woman to have long hair."  

The actual scripture (1 Corinthians 11:15) says "And isn’t long hair a woman’s pride and joy? For it has been given to her as a covering."  Plain as day that long hair is a "woman's pride and joy" - not God's.  Just sayin'.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Wanted to add - Is this bothering me more than it should or is it a legitimate concern?   When they were driving to the airport Lauren was in the center back seat and Josiah behind the front passenger (Mom).  I thought this wasn't very safe - Josiah had the full seat belt from his seat, shoulder and lap.  Pregnant Lauren who has already miscarried once had the center seat lap belt only.  If they had crashed or even stopped short quickly enough she wouldn't have flown off the seat but she would have bent in half.  Could that have caused another miscarriage or a problem with the pregnancy?  Maybe, maybe not but I feel like why take the chance, shouldn't Lauren have been encouraged by her HUSBAND to take the door side seat with the safer seat belt?   It is probably not likely to be a problem but I feel like it's a "better safe than sorry" scenario and such a small easy thing for them to coordinate.

Being 'bent in half' when a car stops suddenly is not a cause of miscarriage and Lauren's history of having had one in a prior pregnancy doesn't increase her risk of having another one at all.  However, you are correct, wearing a seat belt with a shoulder harness is better than wearing just a lap belt if given the choice.  Knowing the Duggars, I doubt any of them use seat belts regularly, pregnant or not.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Being 'bent in half' when a car stops suddenly is not a cause of miscarriage and Lauren's history of having had one in a prior pregnancy doesn't increase her risk of having another one at all.  However, you are correct, wearing a seat belt with a shoulder harness is better than wearing just a lap belt if given the choice.  Knowing the Duggars, I doubt any of them use seat belts regularly, pregnant or not.

Something I'd expect to be very unusual in a family that includes a constable, others with EMT training who should be familiar with first responder-type  experiences.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SMama said:

It would be nice if Pa Seewald, who was ecstatic about giving up his first born as an indentured servant, would have a talk with Ben. Help his son reclaim his balls. 

“Check in her purse first, son.”

• LOL 22
1 hour ago, sheshark said:

Jinger did not get Balayage on her hair.  She received foil highlights.  

But she seemed pretty intent upon conveying to us she did indeed receive Bayalage, as well as informing those of us who are unsophisticated and distinctly not cosmopolitan what it is?

Is this what it feels like to experience defrauding?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Did anyone else think Jinger's hair looked grey while she was in the salon? 

I thought Jana's hair color looked better than Jinger's.

I also thought Jana seemed really genuine in her TH's with Abby. She definitely showed more personality this episode. Or the editors didn't cut out her personality.  

• Love 10

not sure who said it but, the local hospital must allow videos because they have videos of kendra and lauren.  so the fact that they cant film for the show is just an excuse to have a home birth for whatever reason that they want to do it...financial probably. clearly someone was there filming at the first two births. i sincerely doubt abbie will have cameras at her birth...just cant imagine that.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, graefin said:

Why exactly does Jessa insist in maintaining the false narrative that she planned to deliver in a hospital but her midwife was away? If your plan is to give birth at home with Teresa Hackovsky and only go to the hospital when you're at risk of bleeding out, at least own it.

Because she is one of the most prolific liars in this family. And that’s saying something.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Looks like Spurgeon will be making a trip to the prayer closet to learn that gender is fixed and immobile for now and all eternity amen. I loved the panic on his parents’ faces when he said a girl can turn into a boy if you remove her bow. 

Didn't watch. Please tell me they didn't wig out over what is an entirely normal misconception for a young kid. 

• Love 2

I'm still back on this marathon plane ride...they actually have planes that are slower  than cars? Just how long has Josiah  been flying ? This is the first I heard of him flying.  surprised  fragile Lauren got on a plane with him given it sounded like a long turbulent ride.

Screenshot_20191211-152535_Firefox.jpg

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

A friend of mine broke her pelvis wearing only a lap belt. 

20 minutes ago, Portia said:

Didn't watch. Please tell me they didn't wig out over what is an entirely normal misconception for a young kid. 

No wigging but a little eye bugging and nervous laughter. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Zahdii said:

I think he lost his patriarchal privileges when he and Jessa fought over the naming of their first child, and Ben's first and only 'win' turned out to be a disaster.  Jessa now runs the show, and Ben is the hapless sidekick.

I loved how Ben said that Jessa gave him a list of approved names to choose from and he liked Ivy.  Yeah, he's not allowed anywhere near naming a baby!

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, sATL said:

I'm still back on this marathon plane ride...they actually have planes that are slower  than cars? Just how long has Josiah  been flying ? This is the first I heard of him flying.  surprised  fragile Lauren got on a plane with him given it sounded like a long turbulent ride.

There were probably strong headwinds and crosswinds. It's like canoeing upstream. A small plane can be slowed down and pushed off course quite a bit flying into strong winds. 

Josiah's been flying for a few years. He flies a helicopter too now, apparently. I wonder how many of even Jim Bob's friends trust Duggar boys to fly them around....

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, sATL said:

Screenshot_20191211-152535_Firefox.jpg

10.5 hours in a small plane piloted by Josiah in headwinds sounds like absolute torture. I’m getting chills and claustrophobic thinking about it. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 17

Finally caught up on all my shows.

Bin is over it. Over. It. I don't know why he won't dig his balls out of Jessa's purse and demand hospital births. I wasn't surprised Lauren hijacked Jessa's moment and made things awkward for everyone by having an Asa meltdown at the hospital. 

Spurge's take on gender was hysterical. 

Jinger looks totally washed out as a blonde. I know mileage varies, but I thought the dye job looked like shit. The top half was ashy and the ends were brassy yellow. Also, someone needs to educate her on the definition of balayage, cuz that wasn't it. 

Seeing Grandma Mary was bittersweet knowing she didn't have much time left. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, awaken said:

10.5 hours in a small plane piloted by Josiah in headwinds sounds like absolute torture. I’m getting chills and claustrophobic thinking about it. 

And I  guess  there is no FAA law how many consecutive hours one can be tooling around in the sky piloting a small aircraft. Hence another  reason for the fuel/bathroom ( ie #2)/vomiting  breaks. Just file your flight plan and "peace out". Thank God it was may/June- longer sunlight.

I'm with jana. Fly commercial. Or drive. Trying  to be there for the push out of the 3rd baby  was a losing time battle  from the get-go.

This excursion  makes  the Duggar 1919 RV, sound like 1st class comfort.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 12
On 12/10/2019 at 12:48 PM, Rabbittron said:

Why is it a surprise delivery? The only thing that would be a surprise if you didn't know that you were pregnant. 

Nah. It should be “Mother is bleeding... again”.

• LOL 10
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Slight uptick in the ratings:  995 K viewers and a .22 rating.

Two more hours and this season is done?  I kind of think the funeral will go up a bit.

Nothing  like a good furneral to up-tick the ratings and close out the season. 🍿 that's  reality  tv .

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, awaken said:

Over 10 hours flying time seems a bit long for about 700 miles.  Even stopping to refuel and let MaDuggar barf, I would think they would make it in 6-7 hours.   What bothered me most about the trip was how they thought it was so important to be there before the baby arrived.  And the idea of flying commercial to get there faster just seemed silly.  Last minute plane tickets can be costly.

I missed watching this last night as we were watching "Harold and Maude."

I figured Jessa was lying about planning on a hospital birth when she mentioned that it was not going to happen because she had a substitute midwife.  It sounded like the first midwife had privileges of some sort at the hospital, but she never said that the substitute had them or not. 

I like Kendra, but I hate giving a  small whole cake to a baby and letting them smush all around in it.  Sing at the child, then cut the cake and give child one piece.  

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Over 10 hours flying time seems a bit long for about 700 miles.  Even stopping to refuel and let MaDuggar barf, I would think they would make it in 6-7 hours.   What bothered me most about the trip was how they thought it was so important to be there before the baby arrived.  And the idea of flying commercial to get there faster just seemed silly.  Last minute plane tickets can be costly.

I missed watching this last night as we were watching "Harold and Maude."

I figured Jessa was lying about planning on a hospital birth when she mentioned that it was not going to happen because she had a substitute midwife.  It sounded like the first midwife had privileges of some sort at the hospital, but she never said that the substitute had them or not. 

I like Kendra, but I hate giving a  small whole cake to a baby and letting them smush all around in it.  Sing at the child, then cut the cake and give child one piece.  

Cutting the cake to give Garrett a slice would have ruined the sex reveal surprise. Can't have that! 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Jessa did come across like it was no big deal having to go to the hospital.  She glossed over it like she had a minor cut on her finger & they had to decide if she needed stitches.  She also made it seem like it was no big deal she needed a transfusion after Spurgeon's birth.

Isn't that exactly how she hand-waved the Joshley molestation stuff away? Nothing to see here. Move along. Gotta keep the paycheck show going.

A future fun plot for the Duggs....and this WOULD be a surprise..... they march out with all those gender reveal balloons and start sticking pins in them and condoms fall out by the dozens. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

What did she do?

She held Ivy with a pained expression and then during a talking head discussed that meeting Ivy was bittersweet because she would have been due with "Asa" on the same day. In the actual hospital footage, she also could have just looked tired and defeated after being stuck in a tiny airplane with her inlaws for 10 hours.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, drafan said:

Isn't that exactly how she hand-waved the Joshley molestation stuff away? Nothing to see here. Move along. Gotta keep the paycheck show going.

A future fun plot for the Duggs....and this WOULD be a surprise..... they march out with all those gender reveal balloons and start sticking pins in them and condoms fall out by the dozens. 

I only hope Jessa was able to react and respond to what Josh did to her as she chose, expressing how she felt the way she chose.  As with anyone who's been victimized that should be their decision and theirs alone. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, sATL said:

Speaking of "pushing" ' I guess this circle of  women don't  ask for or receive  "push gifts " from their husbands?

They would go broke having to dole out "push" gifts for the number of kids they are expected to have.  

• LOL 9
11 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Cutting the cake to give Garrett a slice would have ruined the sex reveal surprise. Can't have that! 

It was such a tiny cake that one slice should have revealed the color inside unless they just cut it off the side, but I appreciate your snark.     I am with Jana,  I would like to see her dad plant his face into the cake.

• LOL 5
16 hours ago, awaken said:

Not to mention, it was a hot and sticky 95 degrees with NO air conditioning in addition to the turbulence. This sounds absolutely awful to me. I just wish Michelle would have puked on Lauren's head. 🤮. That girl needs a fucking muzzle because when she talks, I just want to smack the daylight out of her. By far, the most annoying female in tv land. Poor, poor Siah. (Nope, he is no catch either). How he manages a life with her and not do drugs, I will never know.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

Why doesn't Mechelle carry Dramamine or some other type of motion sickness medicine with her since she is so prone?  She mentioned a long time ago  she wore those  pressure point type of wrist bracelets to help with the queasiness when they travelled.  Plus she's not the only one that suffers  from it. I would keep a stash of motion sickness medicine handy in the plane if it was me.  Thank God she had a bag with her but that still had to be nasty for everyone since they were in close quarters. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I feel so badly for Abbie.  I never had one tinge of morning sickness in four pregnancies so I cannot relate but it sounds just miserable.  I also had a midwife for each of my deliveries but was smart enough to go to the hospital.

Side note:  were JD and Abbie living in a shipping container?? All the other--younger and seemingly unemployed or, at the very least, underemployed--siblings have gorgeous, mostly new or remodeled, single homes.  How did JD and Abbie luck out with that metal box???

Lauren is beyond the pale to me.  I do like Kendra, but her teeth are reminiscent of ultra white chiclets to me and I can't look at anything else when she's talking.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Fig Newton said:

Not to mention, it was a hot and sticky 95 degrees with NO air conditioning in addition to the turbulence. This sounds absolutely awful to me. I just wish Michelle would have puked on Lauren's head. 🤮. That girl needs a fucking muzzle because when she talks, I just want to smack the daylight out of her. By far, the most annoying female in tv land. Poor, poor Siah. (Nope, he is no catch either). How he manages a life with her and not do drugs, I will never know.

Or drink.  She is intolerable.  

• Love 6