Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E09: A Surprise Delivery

Sew Sumi
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Julia67 said:

I feel so badly for Abbie.  I never had one tinge of morning sickness in four pregnancies so I cannot relate but it sounds just miserable.  I also had a midwife for each of my deliveries but was smart enough to go to the hospital.

Side note:  were JD and Abbie living in a shipping container?? All the other--younger and seemingly unemployed or, at the very least, underemployed--siblings have gorgeous, mostly new or remodeled, single homes.  How did JD and Abbie luck out with that metal box???

Lauren is beyond the pale to me.  I do like Kendra, but her teeth are reminiscent of ultra white chiclets to me and I can't look at anything else when she's talking.

I too was hospitalized for morning sickness, that seemed to drag on all day.....I have never been so sick in all my life, miserable is an understatement. This was during my first pregnancy, I was told that if I had it with my first I wouldn't have it with my second...wrong. It was worse because I was trying to take care of a 2.5 year old. I don't wish that on anyone, well except maybe Lauren 😁🤣

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

One last update re this ep.  Jingle should have sprung for an LA stylist for such a big change.  They used bleach which prob was not necessary (you could tell because it all didn't come up at once and she was using a spray bottle to neutralize/wipe off what was ready before the other foils).  She looks to be a 6 and if she wanted to go to an 8 or 9, an actual high lift color would have done that and not looked so raw.  She also should have had about 6 more inches off but baby steps.  Jingle's natural hair color is like mine and I do not have to use bleach when I go blonde.  

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

I am watching the latest ep at work (DON'T JUDGE! Holiday time so its boring!) and I am struck by how white Michelle's teeth are.  It reminds me of the Friends ep where Ross whitens his and they are glow in the dark white.  The other thing that takes a minute to wrap my head around is them referring to Sia bringing "one" of the planes.  The frugal family with multiple aircraft.  That said, I would not get in that tin can with that blowhard at the controls.

Ok, editing again.  Did y'all see how janky the inside of that plane is?  The wheel (not sure if that is the actual name) is all kinds of grody dirty!  

One last time.  For giggles, someone needs to take a black light to Jessa's living room.  Lots of biological material there.  EW!

But Jessa flipped the cushion! 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

But Jessa flipped the cushion! 

Phew!  Then nothing to see here folks!  HA!

I was irritated for baby Garrett that he had to share his 1st bday with a ginder reveal.  He gets 1 freaking 1st bday, let it be ALL about him!  I could almost see "this is bullshit" running through his mind.  Then Kendra had to speed up his little hands smashing the cake?  FFS lady.  Once out of the womb they cease to be a special person I guess.  

• Love 16
24 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Thanks to Natalie68’s fascinating idea of shining a black light in Jessa’s birth chamber/living room, I am compiling a list of Duggar events I would pay $50 to see:

1) Michelle drunk. 

2)JimBob hitting on her while she’s drunk. I suspect that joyfully available shit would be long gone.

3) RFP forced to shop for his next year’s entire wardrobe at a Sears going out of business sale, no other clothes allowed. I bet he’d cry.

4) Prop filmed without editing. Hell, ANY of the babies filmed without editing. Ever see any of them screaming? Babies scream.

5) An in-depth interview with a former TLC film crew member who has an axe to grind and never signed the non-disclosure.

😈

This is a beautiful list.  I will add:

6 Lauren telling Siah to get away from him, she isn't being turned into a brood mare. 

7 Jana pledging her undying love to Laura and a special rainbow wedding

8 Homeland Security carting Jim Boob and Josh off for whatever reason floats your boat

9 Jim Boob hitting on someone OTHER than Michelle

• LOL 18
  • Love 4

Who is RFP? I give up guessing?

LOL@ me misreading it as: JB HITTING Michelle while drunk instead of hitting ON her!!!

I didn't find that too offensive either! (all just fun in games here)

Let's not forget Anna giving birth on that toilet in the famed Jessa's birthing unit of a house!

I literally was rolling around reading these past few posts....especially the above description.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Why doesn't Mechelle carry Dramamine or some other type of motion sickness medicine with her since she is so prone?  She mentioned a long time ago  she wore those  pressure point type of wrist bracelets to help with the queasiness when they travelled.  Plus she's not the only one that suffers  from it. I would keep a stash of motion sickness medicine handy in the plane if it was me.  Thank God she had a bag with her but that still had to be nasty for everyone since they were in close quarters. 

Speaking of nasty..was Michele in the same clothes flying and when she  stepped into the hospital room to 1st see Jessa & the baby?

I would  had to have a long shower and a excellent dental routine before I went someplace after that ride.

It's a wonder she didn't need an IV herself- I'm sure she was dehydrated.

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Calibabydolly said:

LOL@ me misreading it as: JB HITTING Michelle while drunk instead of hitting ON her!!!

Let's not forget Anna giving birth on that toilet in the famed Jessa's birthing unit of a house!

I literally was rolling around reading these past few posts....especially the above description.

Jeremy aka reverend fancy pants RFP

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Calibabydolly said:

RFP = Reverend Fancy Pants, also known as Jeremy.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Calibabydolly said:

RFP= Reverand Fancy Pants, aka Jeremy.

Triple jinx! 😂😂😂

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Why doesn't Mechelle carry Dramamine or some other type of motion sickness medicine with her since she is so prone?  She mentioned a long time ago  she wore those  pressure point type of wrist bracelets to help with the queasiness when they travelled.  Plus she's not the only one that suffers  from it. I would keep a stash of motion sickness medicine handy in the plane if it was me.  Thank God she had a bag with her but that still had to be nasty for everyone since they were in close quarters. 

Good question.  I recall their first group airline ride that we ever saw was, I think, over the Grand Canyon;  almost all turned green, and I think a few used their barf bags.   I have a terrible gag reflex and will never be caught on a plane with any of them.  She was probably nervous she wouldn't be there in time to see Jessa pop out another baby. 

• Love 1

It's not free. I never called an ambulance in Fayetteville, but this article from last year talks about a price hike and puts it at about $1,000. I know people in other counties who had insurance who had to eat the cost of an ambulance ride on their own, so even if they had insurance, I wouldn't automatically assume it was covered. 

Shit I forgot the article.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/mar/05/cities-washington-county-will-pay-more-/

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Thanks to Natalie68’s fascinating idea of shining a black light in Jessa’s birth chamber/living room, I am compiling a list of Duggar events I would pay $50 to see:

1) Michelle drunk. 

😈

I think we've already seen this in the form of prescription meds. She's as high as a kite in every episode.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

As much as I want to give Jessa flack about the home birth disaster, the truth is home births is a crazy fad among millennials. I don't understand it myself but the idea is a more "natural" and "intimate" setting allows for more bonding during labor and after birth. Part of the general "wellness >>> healthcare" craze. And the ones banging on about home births are usually not fundies like Jessa but the New Agey hippie dippy types who probably read about the glory of home births in some Goop newsletter.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
54 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

As much as I want to give Jessa flack about the home birth disaster, the truth is home births is a crazy fad among millennials. I don't understand it myself but the idea is a more "natural" and "intimate" setting allows for more bonding during labor and after birth. Part of the general "wellness >>> healthcare" craze. And the ones banging on about home births are usually not fundies like Jessa but the New Agey hippie dippy types who probably read about the glory of home births in some Goop newsletter.

True. I see it both from crazied fundies and neo-hippies. LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Zella said:

True. I see it both from crazied fundies and neo-hippies. LOL

I know a woman who had this home birth all planned out down to the crystals that were supposed to take away the labor pains. She had the birth planned in a specific room in her house because a spiritual guru told her that the chi was the best in that room. She ended up needing an emergency C-section and therapy afterwards because she was so depressed she didn't have a "natural" childbirth. And she's still stuck with those crystals. 

With that being said, there's no excuse as Jessa already had a difficult first birth. I can understand making this mistake once, but twice? Then you're just reckless.

• Love 9

She lucked out with Henry. I think that gave her a (false) sense of confidence going into Ivy's birth (and why I don't buy it was originally a planned hospital birth). 

Now? Jessa's playing Russian Roulette. 

• Love 8

The people I know who love homebirths tend to be fundie, although I know one person who isn't. 

Fundies love homebirth, because they tend to be poor and not have insurance. Also God wants people to procreate so childbirth will be easy, especially for them. Anna Duggar's family (the Kellers) are big on homebirths. The Maxwells also like homebirths although the oldest daughter-in-law Melanie gives birth in a hospital since she's higher risk.

5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

She lucked out with Henry. I think that gave her a (false) sense of confidence going into Ivy's birth (and why I don't buy it was originally a planned hospital birth). 

Now? Jessa's playing Russian Roulette. 

All homebirth is Russian Roulette imo. Even if you think it's safe, certainly the risks went up with the first hemorrhage and blood transfusion. Jessa's been playing Russian Roulette for a while now. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3

How many times has Jessa given birth on the brown couch? That thing needs to be taken away and destroyed. No donation to Goodwill. The thought of giving birth in the living room   on a filthy couch with people milling around and filming  doesn't appeal to me. But their entire way of life seems strange to me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
13 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Speaking for myself and the homebirth communty here, we have post graduate degrees, in the health sciences, my midwife has a PhD in midwifery, her team has masters degrees, and none of us are fundie, or even Christian.  All prenatal care and testing done with full informed consent, with integrated medical care and backup. There certainly may be some who do it for unrealistic or religious reasons without trained providers, but that’s not remotely everyone who chooses homebirth. As with homeschoolers, Christians in general, etc, it’s an extremely heterogeneous group, and aren’t all be painted with the same brush. The Duggar Way definitely doesn’t represent the broader community in any of those areas. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 13
53 minutes ago, awaken said:

Speaking for myself and the homebirth communty here, we have post graduate degrees, in the health sciences, my midwife has a PhD in midwifery, her team has masters degrees, and none of us are fundie, or even Christian.  All prenatal care and testing done with full informed consent, with integrated medical care and backup. There certainly may be some who do it for unrealistic or religious reasons without trained providers, but that’s not remotely everyone who chooses homebirth. As with homeschoolers, Christians in general, etc, it’s an extremely heterogeneous group, and aren’t all be painted with the same brush. The Duggar Way definitely doesn’t represent the broader community in any of those areas. 

I was going to say, surely it depends upon where you are, yes?  I imagine, for example, that San Francisco has lots of midwives and secular pregnant women who seek out midwives.  Or Seattle, I’m sure I could go on.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Temperance said:

The people I know who love homebirths tend to be fundie, although I know one person who isn't. 

Fundies love homebirth, because they tend to be poor and not have insurance. Also God wants people to procreate so childbirth will be easy, especially for them. Anna Duggar's family (the Kellers) are big on homebirths. The Maxwells also like homebirths although the oldest daughter-in-law Melanie gives birth in a hospital since she's higher risk.

All homebirth is Russian Roulette imo. Even if you think it's safe, certainly the risks went up with the first hemorrhage and blood transfusion. Jessa's been playing Russian Roulette for a while now. 

Looks like the Bates-2nd generation are pulling away from true home births.  I kinda like how Alyssa does like a compromise- when labor starts naturally eventually go to an facility that looks like a cross b/w home master bedroom and an outpatient clinic.

The place for her 2nd or 3rd child reminded me of the place you go to for colonoscopies - minus the master bedroom decor.

That way medical help is there if you need it. Otherwise stay in the house-room setting you picked out. Leave when everyone is medically ready to do so.

A home birth doesn't exclusively mean your "primary residence ".

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Mya said:

Lots of Jill in this episode I take it she is not estranged from the family after all.

Jill with the stupid faces she was making in the video made me glad she is BARELY on any longer.  She just bugs me.  I knew someone that looked like her so maybe that is it.  But its a chicken/egg scenario.  Did Jill's face bug me which made KATIE'S face bug me or did Katie's face bug me so now Jill's does?  Who knows.  They both bug me.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, sATL said:

Looks like the Bates-2nd generation are pulling away from true home births.  I kinda like how Alyssa does like a compromise- when labor starts naturally eventually go to an facility that looks like a cross b/w home master bedroom and an outpatient clinic.

The place for her 2nd or 3rd child reminded me of the place you go to for colonoscopies - minus the master bedroom decor.

That way medical help is there if you need it. Otherwise stay in the house-room setting you picked out. Leave when everyone is medically ready to do so.

A home birth doesn't exclusively mean your "primary residence ".

If it's a medical facility, then it's not a home birth. It would be a birth in a birthing center.  A homebirth is either at your home or someone else's. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/10/2019 at 4:52 PM, DangerousMinds said:

How is having long hair “biblical?”

They'll go ga ga in the go go/ When they see me in my toga/My toga made of blond/Brilliantined/Biblical Hair/Hallelujah I adore it/Hallelujah Mary loved her son/Why don't my mother love me/Hair hair hair hair hair hair hair/ Flow it/Show it/Long as God can grow it/My Hair

(Lyrics by Gerome Ragni and James Rado) 

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, Temperance said:

If it's a medical facility, then it's not a home birth. It would be a birth in a birthing center.  A homebirth is either at your home or someone else's. 

Exactly.  It could be referred to as an out-of -hospital birth, but there is usually medical equipment and facilities that would not be found at home.  For example, many birthing centers would have the ability to start an IV, use a fetal monitor, or give Pitocin after delivery while most homebirth practitioners would not bring these things with them.

As also noted above, there is a huge variation in the quality of the care given and the training and experience of the providers for home births and it is important to investigate thoroughly before making the decision to stay home.  The Duggars only criteria seems to be that the provider be a like-minded fundie.  As we know, they have used both lay midwives and physicians who have been in trouble with the authorities for poor quality practice. 

In places in the US where homebirth has become a popular option for many different types of families, there is generally a well-trained, well-respected community of practitioners who provide good care to low risk women.  Most of the ones I know would never have agreed to provide care for Jessa at home with her last birth due to her history of hemorrhage needing a transfusion. 

BTW, Cybill Shepherd gave birth to twins at home with a midwife in 1987 and the midwife who attended her was pretty well respected in the medical community, so it is not a new thing.  I wouldn't want it myself nor would I care to be delivering multiples in those circumstances, but to each their own.

• Useful 6
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, TresGatos said:

They'll go ga ga in the go go/ When they see me in my toga/My toga made of blond/Brilliantined/Biblical Hair/Hallelujah I adore it/Hallelujah Mary loved her son/Why don't my mother love me/Hair hair hair hair hair hair hair/ Flow it/Show it/Long as God can grow it/My Hair

(Lyrics by Gerome Ragni and James Rado) 

Oh say can you see my eyes..... if you can then my hairs too short! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Jill’s estrangement from the family is more recent than Jessa’s home birth. I think Derelict made a lot of his comments that seemed to be anti Jim Boob in the last few months. We don’t see the Dullards at Family fun night or any of her family in her Instagram stories on a regular basis. And she posts a lot. It doesn’t seem like we have seen Meechelle or Boob at the Dullards new house at all.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

Jill’s estrangement from the family is more recent than Jessa’s home birth. I think Derelict made a lot of his comments that seemed to be anti Jim Boob in the last few months. We don’t see the Dullards at Family fun night or any of her family in her Instagram stories on a regular basis. And she posts a lot. It doesn’t seem like we have seen Meechelle or Boob at the Dullards new house at all.

Michelle has been shown on Jill’s Instagram at the new house. Jim Bob has not been shown with the Dillard family in quite some time.

• Useful 5

I'm thinking Jill might be allowed to socialize with her family at her own home or at siblings' homes, but Derick is not welcome at the TTH, so she doesn't go. JB might not be willing to see Derick and possibly even Jill, even if Michelle and the other siblings do, and they're keeping it on the DL. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

Or, she's just not estranged from Jessa.

She's all Jessa had that day. Of course, Jessa could have just headed to the hospital and labored with the midwife on call. Nah, that makes too much sense!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Imagine, going from prayer partner (what is that, anyway?) to pariah.  I'm amazed Jill seems to be doing as well as she is, considering Dillweed's status with her family.

To be fair, there's a LOT of speculation going on here as to the current relationship. We really don't know what the status is or what caused the apparent rift or how Jill may or may not be doing. Imo 🤷‍♀️

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 12/13/2019 at 1:27 PM, doodlebug said:

Exactly.  It could be referred to as an out-of -hospital birth, but there is usually medical equipment and facilities that would not be found at home.  For example, many birthing centers would have the ability to start an IV, use a fetal monitor, or give Pitocin after delivery while most homebirth practitioners would not bring these things with them.

As also noted above, there is a huge variation in the quality of the care given and the training and experience of the providers for home births and it is important to investigate thoroughly before making the decision to stay home.  The Duggars only criteria seems to be that the provider be a like-minded fundie.  As we know, they have used both lay midwives and physicians who have been in trouble with the authorities for poor quality practice. 

In places in the US where homebirth has become a popular option for many different types of families, there is generally a well-trained, well-respected community of practitioners who provide good care to low risk women.  Most of the ones I know would never have agreed to provide care for Jessa at home with her last birth due to her history of hemorrhage needing a transfusion. 

BTW, Cybill Shepherd gave birth to twins at home with a midwife in 1987 and the midwife who attended her was pretty well respected in the medical community, so it is not a new thing.  I wouldn't want it myself nor would I care to be delivering multiples in those circumstances, but to each their own.

The charismatic church my family belonged to in the early 70s had a lot of women who had home births. After one woman had to be rushed to the hospital and almost died the pastor had a sermon on babies being a gift from God, who gave us both brains and physicians and expected us to use both. 

• Love 22
On 12/13/2019 at 7:55 PM, Zella said:

I'm thinking Jill might be allowed to socialize with her family at her own home or at siblings' homes, but Derick is not welcome at the TTH, so she doesn't go. JB might not be willing to see Derick and possibly even Jill, even if Michelle and the other siblings do, and they're keeping it on the DL. 

Our speculation here will lead to an In Touch headline, which may lead to a Duggar family page post of a get together with Jill.  Or not!

• LOL 11
  • Love 1